Our new second favourite team

by   |   24/01/2017  35 Comments  [Jump to last]

With the signing of Lescott, Moyes now has 4 old boys with Rodwell, Pienaar, and Anichebe already there.

People seem greatly amused by this on message boards and Twitter. But as Evertonians, does this make us not want to get behind Sunderland, especially as 3 of the 4 left the club on good terms?

So what does everyone think? I certainly take much more interest in Sunderland now, and I always want the northern clubs to stay up ahead of the London clubs.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (35)

Les Green
1 Posted 25/01/2017 at 08:43:32
I care as much about Sunderland as I do about Swansea, Aston Villa or Motherwell.
Derek Thomas
2 Posted 25/01/2017 at 09:02:57
He can take as much of our real deadwood as he can stack on the trailer. But jeez it makes you feel sorry for Sunderland AND query their management. The Premier League is awash with dosh and they go for Gibbo on a loan.
Liam Reilly
3 Posted 25/01/2017 at 09:16:35
Pienaar, and Anichebe are both injured and they are trying to get Gibson on loan. Questionable management decisions in my opinion.

Also Moyes using the "having no money" as his get out of jail card should they be relegated. How to get your excuse in early.

I don't know why he doesn't try to tempt Osman; at least he was rarely injured... nor Tin Cahill, who's still banging in the goals on short term contracts.

Scott Hamilton
4 Posted 25/01/2017 at 09:23:43
Managers always have a tendency to go for players that they know. Martinez did it, mostly resulting in us wasting money.

When the pressure is on, as it must be at Sunderland, I guess the temptation is even greater.

Rodwell, Anichebe and Gibson are still young enough to so something in both the short and medium term. Lescott and Pienaar however are both 34 and unlikely to contribute much other than for this season. I would be sad to see Jags go but he still has enough about him that he could do a job at Sunderland despite his age.

As for them being my 2nd favourite team. Er, no! Sadly Mr. Moyes has sufficiently burned his bridges since leaving us for the promised land. The cruel irony of his quote when our manager: "If people want to leave Everton then they can, but they need to remember it generally doesn't work out for them."

Ste Traverse
5 Posted 25/01/2017 at 13:01:24
Why would I want to get behind them? I'm an Evertonian, stuff all other clubs.

They are less odious than their neighbours, but I couldn't care less whether the Mackems stay up or go down.

Having had a nose at their main forum a few times this season their fans are not too happy with Moyes, and his comments last week about any players he signs probably won't make much difference just about sum up how negative he is.

He seems to be trying to turn them into an Everton rejects Xl.

I expect them to go down and Moyes will then probably be finished as a Premier League manager.

Kieran Kinsella
6 Posted 25/01/2017 at 13:12:29
Liam Reilly

TC? Tony Cottee? Yeah wouldn't surprise me if Moyes signed him. I think Moyes is like King Lear, driven mad by guilt and betrayal trapped in a NE tempest. I would be pissed if I was a Sunderland fan. It would be like Martin O'Neill coming here and signing Marlon Harewood, Nigel Reo-Coker, Shaun Maloney etc for a 10-year reunion of sorts.

Not only are they all either older or crap, they're also the players with the WORST injury records we've had bar Andy van der Meyde although maybe he will be next. I remember Kendall making a kind of Everton II at Man City but those players were at least good and not sick notes. What a joke. No, Sunderland are not my second team – they're an embarrassment run by a loony.

Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 25/01/2017 at 13:34:15
Like most Evertonians, I only have one favourite other team. Tonight it's Southampton, and at the week-end it's Wolves!
Dermot Byrne
8 Posted 25/01/2017 at 14:11:51
Tony, that is so off topic, represents a silly hope RS fail, is indicative of small minded petty rivalry and I totally agree!
Jim Knightley
9 Posted 25/01/2017 at 14:20:33
I feel sorry for Moyes and Sunderland. Their squad is a mess, and AFCON departures and an injury crisis have pushed them beyond breaking point. They are not good enough for the Premier League, and neither are Hull, who were let down badly by the failure to invest in the summer (demonstrated sadly when Diame choose Championship Newcastle over a Premier League season with Hull).

Accordingly, I want both Sunderland and Hull to do well - the escape of either would be a surprise and go against the grain of expectation. What some see as excuses I perceive as realities: Moyes does not have money to spend, and the ex-Everton contingent, all pass their sell-by-date, sadly communicates that.

Unfortunately, I expect Hull and Sunderland both to go down. If they do, then perhaps we can pick up Kone for cheap, and perhaps PVA as well.

Shane Corcoran
10 Posted 25/01/2017 at 14:28:42
With no cash and a short-term goal of staying up I think it makes perfect sense for a manager to take players that he knows, and who know him.

I think Lescott might do ok, especially considering that lad they currently have playing centre-back for them.

Gibson, not so much, as he'd need a lot of time to get fit and even then he'd probably only be good enough for an hour.

I think they'll go down and I don't particularly care for the club.

But Moyes's words to the media about new players not making a difference is really bizarre. They might have been as well in sacking him and hoping for a "bounce" that a new manager brings. They probably couldn't afford to pay him off though.

Tony Abrahams
11 Posted 25/01/2017 at 14:30:47
Back on topic Dermot, but if Sunderland, do go down, I will have a lot more sympathy for there very loyal supporters, than I ever will have for David Moyes!

I first came across Sunderland, as a small child when they lost 2-0 at Goodison, but all there fans were dancing on the Goodison pitch, because they thought they had beaten the drop, only for Bristol City to equalise against Coventry? which sent them down and the fans mad.

I'm sure it was the first time I ever saw real trouble outside Goodison, when I was beginning to realise that for a lot of people, football was more than just a game?

Anyway I hope they stay safe, but would also find quite an irony in both Sunderland and Allardyce's Palace, going down.

John Raftery
12 Posted 25/01/2017 at 18:31:32
Don't Sunderland have a rich owner, a modern stadium and some great commercial deals? Where did it all go wrong?
James Hughes
13 Posted 25/01/2017 at 18:41:42
John, I think it was about 8 managers in as many years that did it. A big clue to all those on here that go "Koeman Out!"
Paul Ferry
14 Posted 25/01/2017 at 18:50:32
I hope Sunderland stay up for young Bradley Lowery and I pray that he is still with us to see it.
Clive Rogers
15 Posted 25/01/2017 at 18:57:19
Moyes is so negative it is unbelievable. He's talked the players down since the moment he took over. Yes, he's gone backwards as a manager. Thank god we got rid of him when we did.
Sue Brown
16 Posted 25/01/2017 at 20:26:44
Paul Ferry#14
Yes, my initial thought too, poor soul
Lee Courtliff
17 Posted 25/01/2017 at 21:02:31
Yeah, Paul...fully agree.

I hope Sunderland stay up...Moyes may not have left on the best terms but he did a great job restoring some respectability to our club. I think I'll always be grateful to him for that, regardless of what he may have said upon leaving. We were a laughing stock for most of the previous decade before Moyes took charge.

However, his negativity was stifling at times and at Sunderland he appears to have become even more defeatist!

It was a tough job from the start and money is obviously an issue...but some 'Martinez-esque' positivity may have helped the players confidence?

It does make you wonder if the Manure job has completely destroyed his confidence? His career could be effectively over if he takes them down.

Jamie Sweet
18 Posted 25/01/2017 at 23:06:00
Agree with Paul Ferry.

Couldn't particularly care less about Moyes or all our former players... but anything that could possibly bring a little bit of joy to young Bradley is definitely something worth supporting.

Roman Sidey
19 Posted 25/01/2017 at 00:28:09
Nope. Second team is Ipswich – fucks me why. I am one of those idiots who has a favourite team in every country and, ironically, my Spanish team is Real Sociedad. I was pissed when Moyes got that job.

Sunderland? Good riddance. They've been bobbing around that relegation zone for too long and in a sane promotion-relegation system a la South America, they would have been long gone by now. The problem is they are a big enough club to come back up fairly quickly as they have done throughout most of their history.

Aside from hoping the best for the young lad who is battling cancer, the only other part of that club I care about is Duncan Watmore. He's quality.

As for our former players up there:

Pienaar: Never regained his pre-Spurs form and was a sicknote for a lot of his second spell.

Rodwell: Could have been a better player had he made the right career moves. I think had he gone to Man Utd rather than Man City it would have been a totally different story.

Lescott: Done. He was probably our best centre half in a very long time, but acted fairly poorly when he wanted the big money move – although Moyes didn't exactly help the situation by not letting go of a player who obviously had every intention of leaving.

Anichebe: The fact that this bloke gets paid anything to play football and I have to graft on the tools every day to live pay to pay is just the saddest thing.

Mark Andersson
20 Posted 26/01/2017 at 02:07:40
I'm surprised Moyes is still in the job. Cross Everton at your peril, karma and all that.

Both he and Martinez are set for life because of Everton. Both will be TV pundits in the near future, that's their real level.

I hope Bradley makes a full recovery, Sunderland will go down and Bradley will be seen at Goodison in a blue shirt. Happy ending.

Brian Wilkinson
21 Posted 26/01/2017 at 16:00:50
As I have always said, I have only ever supported two teams in my lifetime, Everton FC and whoever are playing the RedShite.
Andrew Ellams
22 Posted 26/01/2017 at 16:11:40
Surely today our second favourite team should be Southampton and hopefully moving onto Wolves after the weekend.
Bill Watson
24 Posted 26/01/2017 at 16:33:17
I'm very surprised Osman wasn't offered a short term contract by someone! His injury record is quite good, too.
Tom Bowers
25 Posted 26/01/2017 at 16:41:13
If Moyes couldn't get results with these players at Goodison, how does he expect to do it at Sunderland? I know he has no money to play around with but he did at Man Utd and failed.

Moyes really is not a top manager and really should be in the lower leagues only. He had one half decent season at Goodison in how many?

Merle Urquart lll
26 Posted 26/01/2017 at 19:39:55
On a BBC forum when Moyes was made Sunderland manager, l wrote a post telling Sunderland fans to prepare themselves for injured journeyman 30+ to influx into the club...l never envisaged this however... what a truly desperate manager.

He should not be allowed near another football club, it's as bad as the old school tie society. l can't help but feel this will all end in tears (l hope it doesn't) but somehow it will reflect badly on the blues in the media.
Mick Davies
27 Posted 29/01/2017 at 02:27:21
Sunderland were Everton's opposition at my first game, and we won 3-0, so along with my detesting their overblown, big-mouthed neighbours, I always want them to do well (unless they're playing us). The Bradley Lowery connection and the Archibald Leitch Roker Park also endear them to me.
I couldn't give a shit what anyone thinks about having a soft spot for another club, I hope they don't go down, like some people want the reds to lose - same thing really, being interested in another club besides Everton
Jay Griffiths
28 Posted 29/01/2017 at 19:37:24
100% behind whatever makes Bradley Lowrey have joy and happiness in what's been a tough ride thus far.

Plus they took a point off the shite that started this wonderful rot that they're enduring now, derby win aside.

It will always irk me the media manipulation towards the shite. We saw Bradley on the pitch at Sunderland with not much idea what the whole story was. The following day we'rd told of Everton's exceptional gesture. Pure altruism.

It barely received a mention in the national media due to the fact those ragtags across the park were opening their new stand. The one they had all the residents effectively evicted so they could build a third tier. A CORPORATE tier filled with out-of-towners. Cancer hospitals have opened with much less fanfare.

I've digressed, but hey, Sunderland second favourite team? Okay, this season only.

Brent Stephens
29 Posted 29/01/2017 at 19:41:05
Jay: "Sunderland second favourite team?"

Liverpool are my third favourite team. All others, except us, are my second favourite. Come on the RS, after all others.

Jay Griffiths
30 Posted 29/01/2017 at 19:57:51
Touché, Brent.
Des Farren
31 Posted 29/01/2017 at 20:16:40
"Martinez did it, mostly resulting in our losing money". Jeez- what about Lukaku, Robles, McCarthy, even Lennon. Talk about revisionism!
Kev Johnson
32 Posted 30/01/2017 at 16:58:57
Paul @14 my thoughts as well; I always liked Sunderland fans... good sense of humour.
Philip Yensen
33 Posted 06/02/2017 at 21:39:29
Don't forget Rodwell, Lescott, Pienaar and Moyes left us for the "greener grass". Who gives a monky's fuck about them? If we have sold someone and that is what Everton wanted, then I wish them well.
William Cartwright
34 Posted 07/02/2017 at 16:59:01
Bit of a late response, but I have always respected Sunderland as a well run club with a family feel to them, and always being underappreciated by the media in favor of their loud and noisy neighbors. Now who does that remind you of...?
Peter Fearon
35 Posted 14/02/2017 at 22:22:04
Maybe we can persuade him to take Kone although already have a misfiring striker in Loser Anichebe. Seriously, we need to be at our best when we play them as a couple of their ex-Everton players have points to make and grudges to indulge.
Robin Cannon
36 Posted 14/02/2017 at 22:29:14
Honestly, I think it's understandable action by Moyes.

Sunderland are massively in debt, won't approve any signings, in crisis, and at the bottom of the league.

Changing nothing is clearly not going to have any impact, and their consistent approach on a season-by-season basis is short term.

On that basis, I'd probably go with the devil I know; players who've achieved a certain level of performance in the past, who I would hope to be able to integrate reasonably quickly. It would (should) be purely a stop-gap solution.