Will Lukaku sign a new contract?

by   |   27/01/2017  61 Comments  [Jump to last]

Does anyone else think that Lukaku will be off at the end of the season?

What was the point of his agent coming out and saying a new contract is 99 percent agreed a few months back if he was never going to sign it?

Initially I thought a new contract would have meant a hefty wage increase for the player in exchange for club security in future transfer negotiations and a massive buy-out clause being inserted. I for one think, if he were to stay and one or two more key signings made, that we could seriously challenge for honours next season.

If Lukaku should go, particularly to another Premier League club, we would be taking a massive backward step.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (61)

Neal Kernohan
1 Posted 27/01/2017 at 21:14:14
If he wants to go, let him go! If the club is moving in the right direction, we should be able to attract other suitors! No player should be able to hold the club to ransom... Loyalty is a thing of the past!
Stan Schofield
2 Posted 27/01/2017 at 22:04:12
I thought he had two years left on his existing contract. If this is so, then he'll be off only if Everton release him for a fee they set, and another club agrees to pay that fee. Or am I missing something?
Mick Davies
4 Posted 28/01/2017 at 01:28:02
Don't want to lose the best goalscorer we've had for decades, but if he does leave, I hope we have a pacy, hungry replacement lined up; someone more suited to the manager's pressing philosophy...
Jim Knightley
5 Posted 28/01/2017 at 02:34:34
I'm surprised this thread isn't fall of comments about how bad he is, how poor his touch is, how lazy he is, and how we should replace him with Bony.

They are coming I suppose.

The contract issue is unsettling. We desperately need to retain him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea hovering in the summer. A contract wouldn't guarantee him staying but it would put us in a better position.

David Barks
6 Posted 28/01/2017 at 03:22:46
Jim,

It's early. Give it until noon Saturday and I'm sure there will be plenty of posts calling him everything under the sun.

James Flynn
7 Posted 28/01/2017 at 04:36:04
Does he really want to leave? His interviews while on duty with his national team have been so distorted in the TW threads.

What we know is, OFM got him to agree to stay one more season (While our dear-departed and sorely-missed Stones was putting in his first transfer request).

Before coming back to training camp this season, it was thought Rom was gone. But he said he'd listen to Koeman's view out of respect (While our "Future England Captain" was putting in yet another transfer request).

Here he still is in his fourth season. My guess is that we're noticeably moving fast enough away from the Kenwright/Martinez combo that he'll stay.

At a hefty pay-rise, mind. But he's worth it.

Phil Sammon
8 Posted 28/01/2017 at 05:04:19
I, personally, feel he is lazy and has a poor first touch. We should replace him with Wilfried Bony.
David Tennant
9 Posted 28/01/2017 at 06:43:03
Phil (#8),

I hope that was a joke.

Henrik Lyngsie
10 Posted 28/01/2017 at 07:31:16
I really hope and think he will stay. It will be really difficult to find anyone of the same class that will come to Everton. Then Walsh will have to do some magic but ain't easy.

But analyzing his options. Regarding top 6 in Premier League I don't think his style suits City, Spurs, Liverpool or Arsenal. Stylewise Man Utd could be an option, and I don't think he has personal issues with Mourinho. But they have Zlatan and are apparently chasing Griezman so I don't think that is an option.

So only Chelsea if Costa is leaving. Real and Barca are way off and the same is Bayern. Which leaves PSG as an option. But I hope Rom is more ambitious then the French League. I don't think any Italian club could afford him.

So in reality it will be very hard to identify a club who can afford him, who needs a striker of Lukakus style and where he would be first choice. I would say Chelsea if Costa leaves. But even then I think they would aim higher.

So Rom to stay with us. You are the clear first choice. You bring us back to the top and you become a legend.

John G Davies
11 Posted 28/01/2017 at 08:00:12
Phil (#8),

I would take Wilfred Brambell before Wilfred Bony.

Ray Roche
12 Posted 28/01/2017 at 08:52:46
John (#11). So would I – even though he's dead.
John G Davies
14 Posted 28/01/2017 at 09:02:06
He's still quicker than Bony, though, Ray.
Colin Glassar
15 Posted 28/01/2017 at 09:18:29
He will be off in the summer to be replaced by TW favourites Charlie Austen or, Wilfred Bony (both prolific goalscorers).

Remember, as long as they run themselves into the ground...

Eric Holland
16 Posted 28/01/2017 at 09:23:18
Fishing Colin?

Won't be long before the usual fish bite!!

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 28/01/2017 at 09:34:41
He'll go if any club wants him and pays the money...

In the meantime keep banging them in, Romelu.

Geoff Lambert
18 Posted 28/01/2017 at 09:40:45
I would like to know who we will be signing to give him the support/backup we need.
Andrew Ellams
19 Posted 28/01/2017 at 10:27:40
People wanting to replace a striker who consistently outscores everybody but Aguero and Costa with Bony. No wonder Kenwright has got away with murder for so many years.
Matt Williams
20 Posted 28/01/2017 at 10:35:54
Jim @5 I think you're right. If Costa is off to China, Lukaku would be an ideal replacement for them.

Our loss despite what some on here say about him. I for one hope he stays.

John G Davies
21 Posted 28/01/2017 at 10:39:35
No wonder Kenwright has got away with murder for years.

Brainwashed into accepting mediocrity, Andrew. Convinced a large proportion of fans that finishing 7th was the equivalent of winning the title for a club punching above its weight. His red-headed partner in arms perpetuated the fallacy.

Stan Schofield
22 Posted 28/01/2017 at 10:40:37
Henrik @10: I agree. I feel he will stay, the spirit seems good in the squad, and he seems to be enjoying his football.

John @11: Some on TW would take Albert Steptoe over Rom. Some would even take Hercules, even though he's not suited to Koeman's pressing game, being a bit of a cart horse.

Darren Hind
23 Posted 28/01/2017 at 10:48:59
Jim Knightley,

I don't think anybody is going to talk about how poor Lukaku's touch is, or even how lazy he is when he's not in the mood. I guess after three seasons of watching him, those who are not deaf dumb and blind now figure these points are incontestable.

The point here is, will he sign another contract? He is a goal scorer and clubs will always be in the market for goal scorers... but he isn't top draw – at least that seems the general consensus among top clubs coaches. If they were interested, they'd had declared their interest by now. Their haven't.

Lukaku faces a clear choice. Does he sign for a club which doesn't dine at football's top table. or does he take the very generous offer which is apparently already on the table.

Lukaku will sign... of course he will.

Drew O'Neall
25 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:01:19
Costa's off, Lukaku could be too.
Stephen Ashton
26 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:10:09
He's off. Have you seen his body language and his interaction with his team mates?

When he scored against Man City he stood open armed and no one ran to him until Holgate came along and he shrugged him off and then Funes Mori leapt on him. Everyone else ran to Mirallas. He tried to pinch Tom Davies's goal – actually celebrated it as though it was his.

At the Palace game, no celebration with Coleman, and at the end, just a cursory wave from the centre circle and the first down the tunnel.

He doesn't want to be here and I for one don't want him (for well-worn but nonetheless valid reasons).

There you go, David, an hour before your deadline!!!

Matthew Williams
27 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:12:11
I'm sure his leech of a agent won't let him.

Still a frustrating player with not enough to his game for me anyroad.

Take the big bucks for him & move on.

John G Davies
28 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:17:49
Better than 1-in-2 goalscorer this season and at 23 improving all the time there will be interest from clubs higher in the table than us.Also from clubs abroad.

The fact that he hasn't signed a contract that's been on the table for some months suggests one of two things: He wants more money, or he and his agent are aware of interest from other clubs.

Joel Jones
29 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:31:08
He'll sign it after the window closes I believe.

It'll the "boost" everybody needs because we didn't wait until the last day of the window to panic buy.

I also think Everton are now playing the FFP game very well indeed. Maybe that we're holding off until new financial year to announce it and then it can be included in next year's accounts which will include new sponsorship, player sales and additional incomes.

Just my opinion like.

Stan Schofield
30 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:32:12
Going back to #2, if Lukaku has two years left on his contract, then it appears that he'll be staying here if Everton decide he is, regardless of any discussions about a new contract.

As such, if he doesn't sign a new contract, it doesn't mean he'll be off at the end of the season unless Everton permits it (and he wants to go).

John G Davies
31 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:35:40
A dangerous game to let any player get into the last 18 months of a contract Stan.
Stan Schofield
32 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:41:10
John, true, but strictly speaking that's a separate (but obviously related) matter. The fact remains that, if Everton decide Lukaku stays here for two more years, then Lukaku stays here for two more years.
Colin Glassar
33 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:42:58
Sounds like Ronald is done in this window. In his weekly column in Holland he says he prefers to give the kids a chance first rather than buy.
John G Davies
34 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:43:30
Then he can go on a free transfer, Stan?
Kunal Desai
35 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:56:16
Agree Colin. I can't see any more players coming in. January has always been difficult. We can't even push players out on permanent deals.
We will secure 7th spot finishing somewhere between 60-63 points.
Trevor Lynes
36 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:59:21
Lots of Lukaku critics on here but no one seems to blame the board for not having contingency plans.Every player at EFC can be benched or subbed but old Rom plays every game whenever he is fit.

If his critics could back their snide comments with facts about other players we have who are far worse than Lukaku then I would like to read them.

Name me another forward on the books who scores goals regularly.Only Mirallas has made double figures and that was once.Barkley's best has been 8 league goals.In fact Naismith equalled Barkleys best with 8 in one season.

Who are the so called top draw strikers other clubs have ?Only Kane is English and he is far better supported at Spurs.Other players score goals too.

Coleman is our 2nd top league goal scorer so far this season with FOUR goals.Barkley, Mirallas and Baines have three.

Lukaku must stay and every effort must be made to keep him with us.IMO that is an absolute requirement above any other priority we may have.If players are to go then it must be other one's.

Stan Schofield
37 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:02:03
John, possibly. The point is, in answering an original question as to whether Lukaku will be gone at the end of this season, he will be gone if and only if Everton agree to it. If Everton decide he stays until the end of the 17-18 season, then he stays.
Colin Glassar
38 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:04:43
Sam the computer says we will finish 7th on 56 points, Kunai.
David Hallwood
39 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:17:33
If that's true, Colin (#34), it's music to my ears. We tend to be obsessed with marquee signings so much so, that it has become a pissing contest. It must be remembered that the great Barca side of a few years ago, half the squad were home grown.

So let's have a look a Dowell, Walsh, Kenny et al, and be a bit like Barca only go into the transfer market to buy quality.

Back to the thread; general agreement all round: if Costa goes to China, Lukaku goes to Chelsea.

Graham Mockford
40 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:18:19
Colin

That would be an extremely disappointing finish and would look something like W5 D5 L6.

To be honest we have a tough amount of away games. RS, Man U, Spurs and Arsenal. However we also have Stoke, Boro, West Ham and Swansea

At home it's easier Bournemouth, Sunderland, West Brom, Hull, Leicester, Chelsea, Burnley and Watford.

I think we should be targeting another 28 points to finish on 64 as a bare minimum. However that is still probably still only 7th unless one of the sides above us implodes.

That probably needs to look more like W8 D4 L4.

Brian Williams
41 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:23:06
Stephen (#26).

I've noticed all that behaviour from him as well.

Also noticed where he gestures with both hands towards his feet when the ball doesn't get played right to his feet. There was one in particular against Palace where he did it and it was down to him not being where he should be rather than the cross.

His whole demeanour has changed over the last several weeks and it can't be put down to the anniversary of his mate's death. It's a worry for sure as scoring, for a striker, should be the most joyous feeling.

I hope he DOES sign a new contract as he is undoubtedly the best source of goals for us and a player whose goals would be very hard to replace.I can't help NOT loving him though, and that's a strange feeling to have towards Everton's centre forward.

Dave Abrahams
42 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:29:55
Graham (41), why lose four? Graham I thought you were more positive than that.
Graham Mockford
44 Posted 28/01/2017 at 13:03:46
Dave,

Of course I don't want to be negative and we should aim to win every game. But setting a target for the end of the season needs to be realistic. It's highly unlikely any team in the league will win every single game.

A minimum target of 64 points to me would indicate progress, certainly over the last two seasons and is a higher number than any other Premier League season other than Martinez's first.

It's obviously not enough going forward but it's important we build and maintain momentum over the remainder of the season.

As fans we tend to be quite short term in our outlook. Three weeks ago, some were calling for the manager's head; now some are calling for European qualification. However, it's about consistency and the aim should be an average of 2 points a game if you want to be a top 4 team and challenging for the title.

David Chait
45 Posted 28/01/2017 at 13:33:52
David #40. Exactly that! I am very pleased with the window.

We have at last replaced Barry and McCarthy through Davies and Schneiderlin. Lookman is a very interesting punt. I would like to see McCarthy moved on for himself as much as us to recoup some cash.

If we want more I would have wanted a top replacement for Funes Mori or Jagielka. But in terms of midfield, I think we should be done. I really hope Liam Walsh gets a run before the end of the year. Dowell maybe more likely though of the 2.

Dave Abrahams
46 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:00:31
Graham (#46), fair enough.

I don't expect anything to be honest, but have the feeling under Moshiri we have a very good chance of becoming a top club again, and I haven't given up on this season with possibly one more better than decent player coming in before the transfer deadline.

We will ( us fans ) all be there no matter what transpires.

Stan Schofield
47 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:18:09
John@45: Yes, I take your point. Normally you wouldn't expect a club to do that. However, we might be in a somewhat different position.

It might be a bigger issue than one of simply losing tens of millions of £s two years hence. I say this because for Moshiri, Everton is supposed to be a long-term 'project' rather than a short-term 'investment'. We're now supposed to have shed the 'selling club' label, and that usually means willing to take chances on sums which lesser clubs cannot or will not take chances on.

A big club in this sense can send out messages that a player is effectively not for sale. We buy rather than sell, and if Koeman values Lukaku highly enough (football-wise, because he's said he doesn't get involved in the money side), then Moshiri could consider him so valuable to the 'project', including its image relevant to generating a profile that helps attract the best players, that he's willing to take the risk of losing tens of millions of £s two years hence in return for the benefit a player of Lukaku's status can give in that time, in relation to the bigger image (the 'brand' if you like) of Everton.

Everton saying Lukaku stays would be a massive 'statement of intent', precisely because of the potential loss (£50M or whatever) that you cite.

Frank Mullin
48 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:46:49
Take the money for him when it's offered. There's a ready made goalscoring machine currently banging them in at Hull City who we should keep an eye on.
Anthony Dwyer
49 Posted 28/01/2017 at 16:55:27
Rom is huge for us, we simply can not attract another striker of his pedigree.

We have to tie him down to a deal and make him the Jewell in Ronny's crown.

Ste Traverse
50 Posted 28/01/2017 at 17:22:26
Stephen Ashton #26

Rom didn't celebrate Coleman's goal? Have you even seen it??

He jumped straight onto the pile of players celebrating it in front of our travelling support.

Now I know some fans have never warmed to him, but make up stuff like that is just wrong.

Michael Kenrick
51 Posted 28/01/2017 at 18:09:51
Just FYI, Joel (#28), "Maybe that we're holding off until new financial year to announce it and then it can be included in next year's accounts which will include new sponsorship, player sales and additional incomes."

I don't think it works like that, Joel. Everton's financial year runs through 31 May so anything happening this season should be in this year's accounts... even if they won't actually get posted on here or anywhere till the end of 2017 at best!

Oliver Molloy
52 Posted 28/01/2017 at 18:30:57
He will sign a new contract, as will Ross Barkley, probably in the next couple of weeks.
Stephen Ashton
53 Posted 28/01/2017 at 19:02:06
Stephen (#54).

If he did I apologise to him. I was there at the very back with the sun in my eyes. My excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Stan Schofield
54 Posted 28/01/2017 at 19:38:18
Frank @52: Maybe get the Hull goal-scoring machine in, but in addition to Lukaku, not instead of. This is supposed to be a 'new era' – we don't get rid of players of Lukaku's caliber (unless you want the mediocrity of the last 25 years), and we buy the likes of that other guy to complement Lukaku.
Colin Glassar
55 Posted 28/01/2017 at 19:56:38
Graham, it was a supercomputer who made the prediction – not me. I'd also be disappointed with 64 points right now.
Stan Schofield
56 Posted 28/01/2017 at 20:03:55
Colin, sounds like the computer the Met office use. Shite in, shite out, as they say.
John Wilson
57 Posted 30/01/2017 at 19:57:30
"We buy rather than sell, and if Koeman values Lukaku highly enough (football-wise, because he's said he doesn't get involved in the money side), then Moshiri could consider him so valuable to the 'project', including its image relevant to generating a profile that helps attract the best players, that he's willing to take the risk of losing tens of millions of £s two years hence in return for the benefit a player of Lukaku's status can give in that time, in relation to the bigger image (the 'brand' if you like) of Everton."

94 words just for one sentence, Stan Schofield. There are several sub-clauses which make it problematical for readability. This is not a university forum as far as am aware. I might expect usually at the most, 60 words from the average politician's sentence but 94 words is hmm.

John Wilson
58 Posted 30/01/2017 at 20:02:59
Chelsea made bid for Lukaku for around £65 million some time ago but Everton wanted £70 million. Hence no sale.
Stan Schofield
59 Posted 30/01/2017 at 23:06:44
John, School of Science mate, or University of Everton, Faculty of Sententious Pontificating. Certainly not the 'average politician', so thanks.
Habib Erkan Jr
60 Posted 02/02/2017 at 04:37:47
Arguably the club's most important player, undoubtedly its most valuable asset... Fingers crossed, like the season before, and the one before that. All the speculation will be for naught and he will sign a new contract. But should he move on we should demand a king's ransom and then some.
Brian Furey
61 Posted 02/02/2017 at 18:01:01
I am amazed he has stayed as long as he has as usually high scoring strikers tend to move on to clubs that they will earn more money and win trophies. Suarez didn't hang around long when he realised Liverpool weren't gonna win the league. Even Van Persie saw sense with Arsenal and made the move. Rooney did the same with us before so I expect Rom to leave at some stage. Question is when.

If you try to look at it from his point of view, he made his big signing at age 18 to Chelsea where he joined up with his idol Drogba and Torres. Chelsea won the Champions League that year but Rom said he didn't feel like he was part of the winning team.

I would say he felt very let down having gone from the top scorer in Belgium to now being a reserve for Chelsea. So his loans out to West Brom and Everton probably lifted his moods again as he scored 17 with West Brom and then 16 with Everton despite some injuries.

He seemed to settle in well at Everton and the fans took to him and he felt like a big fish in a small pond again which I think he likes. He likes to feel like the main man and this is the reason I think he's been a bit hesitant to go back and sign for Chelsea or another big club.

He knows he can earn good money with Everton and not be under too much pressure to perform as he will always be the main striker. Whereas should he go to one of the big 4 clubs, he might not be as happy and would probably have to work a lot harder. Who knows for sure but I think Rom is quite an intelligent guy and he probably understands that whilst he stays at a club like Everton for a few years, he can continue scoring goals at a decent rate and so continue to set records.

I reckon Koeman and Martinez before him told him he will benefit more at his young age to be at a club like Everton where he will be given a lot more time to learn and develop and then when he is 25 or whatever he still has plenty of time to move to the big clubs.

The way a lot of top managers are playing now, expecting their strikers to work hard pressing, I'd say Rom is glad he's not at Liverpool or Man City.

Jason Bowen
63 Posted 07/02/2017 at 22:46:58
The express are reporting that he signed a new £100k/wk contract in December with an £80 million sell on clause!

Peter Thistle
64 Posted 23/02/2017 at 09:06:46
Of course he will. Instant upgrade in wages and will command higher wages at his next club. Also a bonus is we'll get more money for him if his contract is longer.
Ray Roche
65 Posted 23/02/2017 at 09:13:48
Jason, it says he is "set to sign a new £100,000-a-week contract", not that he HAS signed a new contract.
Martin Nicholls
66 Posted 23/02/2017 at 09:20:03
Peter (#64) – good move resurrecting this thread as it deflects from the Rooney one! Can't wait for football to return on Saturday!