Realistic signings in the summer

by   |   07/02/2017  100 Comments  [Jump to last]

If we make top 6 (or qualify for the Europa League through Manchester United finishing ahead of us and winning the EFL cup), what realistic signings can we expect in the summer window?

With the primary positions being: Goalkeeper, Centre Back (one or two?), Left Back (back up to Baines), Attacking Midfielder and Striker, personally, I'd like to see:

GK: Kasper Schmeichel / Joe Hart / Jordan Pickford
CB: Michael Keane / Van Dijk / Lamine Kone (two of them - with Jags probably making way in the summer)
LB: Jordan Lukaku / Andrew Robertson / Jordan Amavi
CAM: Sigurdsson (I'd be very happy if he came in, absolute quality)
ST: Mertens (Has been playing striker for Napoli - top goal scorer in Serie A and can play in many positions) / Haller / Perez (he looks quality, looks like Arsenal aren't using him much).

However, if Deulofeu and Mirallas stay next season, I don't think we need another striker. With them and Calvert-Lewin backing up Lukaku.

Team for next season:

1. Robles 2. Keane 3. Baines 4. Schneiderlin 5. Williams 6. Van Dijk 7. Deulofeu / Mertens 8. Barkley 9. Sigurdsson 10. R Lukaku 11. Mirallas 12. Holgate 13. Schmeichel 14. Bolasie 15. J Lukaku 16. McCarthy 17. Idrissa 18. Barry 19. Lookman 20. Davies 21. Besic 22. Stekelenburg 23. Coleman 24. Tarashaj 25. Funes Mori 26. Dowell 27. Browning 28. Pennington 29. Calvert-Lewin 30. Connolly 31. Kenny 32. Galloway 33. Hewelt 34. Sambou 35. Walsh

With Jagielka, Kone, Cleverley, Lennon going out. Possibly one of our goalkeepers going out too. Keep Barry, he won't play a huge part, but will be a big influence!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (100)

Jon Withey
1 Posted 07/02/2017 at 18:09:42
Personally I'd prioritise striker and centre back.

We should certainly leave room for Davies, Barkley, Gana, Schneiderlin and even McCarthy. I'm guessing Besic might be surplus.

Promising young left back maybe.

Keeper and CAM are strange ones – who makes way?

Mike Gaynes
2 Posted 07/02/2017 at 18:41:44
Interesting guesswork, Gareth. I agree more than disagree with your optimism, but I question whether some of these are realistic.

I can't imagine why Mertens would give up wild success in Italy and guaranteed Champions League football to come and play for us. I believe Van Dijk is unrealistic given the known competition for him, and probably Sigurdsson too – he's going to be widely pursued.

I'd add Steve Cook to the centre-back list, and given Bolasie's uncertain status I'd love to see us in for Antonio, who is brilliant.

And just on a hunch, I'd save a shirt for Donkor. Koeman didn't buy him for nothing.

I'm on record here saying Besic's departure ticket is already punched.

Geoff Evans
3 Posted 07/02/2017 at 19:27:40
Dominating centre-back definitely.
Ian Bennett
4 Posted 07/02/2017 at 19:30:28
Out:- Deulofeu (don't see him coming back); Cleverley (ditto); Jags; Kone; Funes Mori (he just doesn't convince); Lennon (doesn't make the bench); McGeady; Valencia; Besic (6th choice centre midfielder); Niasse; Tarashaj; kids that won't cut it. Surely recoup £60m plus.

In:- If it was me small in numbers but high in quality. We need 3 guaranteed starters, and I wouldn't be surprised if an ex Saint or Fox join the crew..<./p>

Pickford, Hart or Butland (goalkeeper), Luke Shaw (everyone loves a Man Utd reject), Kasper Dolberg (striker), Oxlade-Chamberlain (right-wing), Mahrez (attacking mid), Michael Keane, and maybe another centre back or striker.

Andy Crooks
5 Posted 07/02/2017 at 20:18:37
I don't think we need much. A striker, a creative midfielder and a quality, versatile defender. Three players plus Bolasie and Besic back. Another young player to come through and a loanee to come back ready for the first team.

To me, that would see us ready for a Europa League campaign. I see Champions League as unlikely but I really think it will happen next season.

David Nicholls
6 Posted 07/02/2017 at 21:23:48
I'd like us to raid Mordor and make a serious bid for Sturridge.
Peter McHugh
7 Posted 07/02/2017 at 21:35:36
I would defo go for Sturridge.
Gavin Johnson
8 Posted 07/02/2017 at 21:56:23
Mike,

You don't think Sigurdsson is a realistic signing? Personally I can't see the top 4 clubs wanting him. He had a big move to Spurs once before and couldn't get a game. Won't he also be 28 in the summer? I also think the clubs above us in the league are pretty well stocked in creative midfielders unlike Everton who only have Barkley. I think we'll be the ideal club for Sigurdsson if we go in for him this summer.

Decent list Gareth, but please take Jordan Lukaku off, he's crap. Maybe we could go in for him if it persuaded Rom to stay for a couple of more seasons.

Richard Reeves
9 Posted 07/02/2017 at 22:26:41
It's difficult to say who we should bring in because of the amount of younger players who are highly rated and said by some to be close to first team action.

Pennington did get an excellent review from Unsworth recently and looked very good in pre-season and only Koeman knows if players such as him, Walsh, Foulds, Dowell, Kenny, Donkor, the striker from Coventry (sorry, I can never remember his name) or anyone else will be breaking into the first team squad next season.

I could say positions we need strengthening but if some of the U23s have the potential to be very good players I'd prefer to see them brought in over a season and get Premier League experience rather than their route blocked by a big signing.

Out of Gareth's list I would only choose Pickford as back up/competition for Robles.

Mike Gaynes
10 Posted 07/02/2017 at 22:28:23
Gavin, I think Sigurdsson is superior to Mata and Coutinho and considerably more consistent than Ozil. But most of all, if I was Chelsea I'd want to plug him in between Hazard and Willian. So yes, I believe he'll draw interest from teams above us, and I would expect some attention from the Bundesliga as well.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I doubt it.

Mike Gaynes
11 Posted 07/02/2017 at 22:42:46
David and Peter... Sturridge???

Do you like the sound of laughter from across the park?

Poor attitude, poor finishing, declining pace...

Stan Schofield
12 Posted 07/02/2017 at 22:52:15
Sturridge? No thanks.
Gavin Johnson
13 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:01:52
Mike,

Sigurdsson is consistent and gives a 7 week-in & week-out. But I just don't see clubs like Arsenal or the RS rushing to buy him when they have the likes of Ozil, Ramsey and Firmino, Coutinho respectively.

We were the only club that went in for Sigurdsson last summer, and he was playing fantastically last season. If he was a young player new to the premier league I think there would be more interest. Given his age and failing at Spurs. I see us fighting the likes of West Ham and Stoke for his signature, even though I agree he is better than some of the players you mention.

Denis Richardson
14 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:06:07
Would hope we'd be looking for more than just a back up for Baines. He's been great but I'd like some competition.
Gavin Johnson
15 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:16:42
Denis,

I think Robbie Brady would have made a terrific understudy and eventual replacement for Leighton Baines. Burnley have signed a gem there.

Yes, LB is definitely a position that needs looking at. We'll have Galloway back but I'd like to see him groomed in his 1st choice position of CB next season.

James Doran
16 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:29:17
As great-a-servant as Baines has been to our club, he should be the back-up next season. I'd like to see Shaw come in. Michael Keane from Burnley would also be a good buy.
Drew O'Neall
17 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:34:31
Sturridge is a problem child.

You can't play him up front cos he can't hold it up, win a header or pass to a team mate which in the modern game are the main attributes required of a lone striker.

That's why he only plays with a partner, out wide or when they expect to batter the oppo.

Drew O'Neall
18 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:41:15
Bertrand is the best left back in the league and should be Baines' replacement.

Butland in goal, yep.

I like West Brom's centre forward; Rondon, as lone strikers go. Mobile, powerful, hard working and good in the air and has a good shot with both feet from distance.

No. 10, you can't argue with Sigurdson, Will Green, maybe Mahrez.. Rooney if he wants a pay cut.. Had Xavi had enough of China? What about Dragev (think that was it) the Russian?

Andy Crooks
19 Posted 07/02/2017 at 23:53:20
I wouldn' t have Sturridge on a free transfer. Nothing to do with playing for Liverpool. I think he is injury prone, monumentally self regarding, overrated, spineless and his goal celebration makes my ears burn with embarassment for him.
Mike Gaynes
20 Posted 08/02/2017 at 00:23:37
Gavin #15, in my view as long as Pennington returns healthy, he and Holgate are the future at CB, and Galloway should be groomed at LB. I certainly wouldn't spend money on another LB at this point.
Brian Williams
21 Posted 08/02/2017 at 00:24:22
Sturridge ffs! Not even funny!
Gavin Johnson
22 Posted 08/02/2017 at 00:42:44
Assuming Garbutt will be gone in the summer. We'll only have Baines & Galloway, and while I'm a big fan of Galloway and think that he would do a good job as understudy I see his long term future as a ball playing CB, Mike.

I agree that Matthew Pennington could be a player for the future. Unsworth rates him highly and he's a very level headed lad. There's an interview on Everton TV this week and he comes across very well. A clever lad too. Got A*s in his GCSE's and top A levels while playing in the academy.

Mike Gaynes
23 Posted 08/02/2017 at 00:47:27
Agreed, Gavin, and don't forget that after seeing them both in summer practice, Koeman gave Pennington the first call in the preseason games... ahead of Holgate.

Also don't forget Browning and Foulds coming up behind. CB could be a crowded place.

Thus my belief that Galloway would be better off outside.

Gavin Johnson
24 Posted 08/02/2017 at 01:17:50
Mike,

I think there's room for Pennington, Galloway and Holgate, if Koeman's first choice formation is 3-4-2-1 or 3-5-2, or even 4 at the back. Ashley Williams is only a medium term signing for me. The juries still out on Funes Mori. I see Galloway very much like Holgate as a CB/full back, but at the same time, like Holgate, I see Galloway as a CB first and foremost.

But yeah, I'd have to qualms having Galloway as 2nd choice LB next season. His development has been stifled by the cautious Pulis so it might be one way for him get more games. Equally I'd like us to have another specialist LB. It's priorities at the end of the day. For me after all the recent outgoings I'd like us to 5 players in the summer in the shape of a striker, GK, CB, No.10, winger and LB in that order

Unfortunately I think Browning as missed the boat. We're blessed for up and coming defenders. Isn't Foulds another one of these defenders who is equally adept at playing CB/fullback?! I think he's played a few games out wide in the U 23s.

Simon Dimes
25 Posted 08/02/2017 at 02:07:03
I am surprised everyone is looking for a left back when we still have Luke Garbutt on the books. He is and will be a good left back. Or is everyone assuming he will leave once his contract is up?
David Ellis
26 Posted 08/02/2017 at 04:44:52
Simon - Garbutt just hasn't impressed recently. Others have overtaken him. Foulds, Robinson and Galloway to name just 3 of our existing U23s. And at right back we have Kenny, Connolly and another lad who's just gone out on loan (Jones?) and Browning.

Having said that if we are playing 3 at the back we need a proper wing back – not a converted CB like Galloway. From the U23s I think only Connolly really fits the bill and think he can play on either flank. But it may be we need to go outside for a full replacement to Baines – we just don't deliver enough of a threat from the left hand side.

Kristian Boyce
27 Posted 08/02/2017 at 05:02:11
Hopefully Walsh is keeping an eye on Ryan Sessegnon at Fulham. 16 years old and already a first team LB. Could be a great replacement for Baines in a couple of years. Rondon is also good shout, bit of a beast of a player who is very highly rated at WBA. Supposedly Barca were meant to have shown some interest in him earlier this season.

I won't be surprised if we drop some serious cash this summer to make a statement. I'm thinking there maybe some big name/money incoming.

Dave Long
28 Posted 08/02/2017 at 05:12:17
Sturridge... trademark celebration in a Blue shirt in front of the Gwladys Street faithful? I would like to see the reaction.
Mike Gaynes
29 Posted 08/02/2017 at 06:29:52
Simon #25, Garbutt isn't considered a good left back by anybody who has watched him recently. He had an absolutely miserable season last year on loan at Fulham, was denied a squad number by Koeman, was loaned out to Wigan in August and made only eight appearances before the loan ended in January. Everton's website doesn't list him on any roster or show any recent news for him, so maybe he's out at Finch Farm mowing the grass or something.

Definitely not our LB of the future.

Mike Gaynes
30 Posted 08/02/2017 at 06:36:07
Gavin #24, Browning jumped right into Preston's side last week with what were reported to be two good performances. He's only 22 and is coming off injuries, so I don't think he's missed the boat yet.
Ian Bennett
31 Posted 08/02/2017 at 07:18:17
Bertrand for left back is a good shout.
Andrew Ellams
32 Posted 08/02/2017 at 08:53:04
If Koeman's long-term aim is to play the full backs pushed up as wing backs there is no way we'll see Galloway replacing Baines. It is a position that needs strengthening in the summer though. I'd go for Robertson at Hull.
Gavin Johnson
33 Posted 08/02/2017 at 08:57:57
Mike,

I just don't see Browning getting much game time in the 1st team. Besides being older. I don't think he's as good as Holgate, Galloway and Pennington from the little I've seen. Don't forget we also have JonJoe Kenny, Callum Connolly and Matty Foulds vying for his position.

David Nicholls
34 Posted 08/02/2017 at 11:56:38
Mike # 11 - That's surprising about Sturridge losing pace each year. I agree his attitude is not the best but if the price was right I'd take him.

He can, in the right team, be a special footballer, he has still got a good few years left in him and the general feeling that he doesn't suit Klopps style means he could become available and would therefore be a realistic signing.

I'm scratching my head to think of any strikers that are clearly better than this guy who we could realistically bring in.

Ciaran O'Brien
35 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:07:09
Priority for the summer are a commanding, no nonsense centre half who can play, a number 10 to compliment Ross and scores goals, a clinical striker who can play alongside Lukaku or step in for him, a winger who is consistent and can score goals who is preferably left footed, a top class left back and a new keeper.

I would like : Hart, Butland or Mattia Perin as a new keeper, Lamina Kone, Rugani, Maguire for centre half, Ricardo Rodriguez, Bertrand or Shaw as a new left back, Sigurdsson would be a perfect number 10 alongside Isco or Wilshere, Demaray Gray, Yarmolenko or Jesus Corona for left Wing and Abel Hernandez, Aboubakar or Mandzukic as a new striker(s).

With either of these and Walsh, Kenny, Dowell coming through we would have a cracking squad

Dermot Byrne
36 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:13:57
Just to signpost Lyndon's "A Place to Call Home" is one of the best articles I have ever read on this site.
Iain Thomson
37 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:19:31
Teirny from Celtic... Pickford from Sunderland

And a South American wonderkid we have never heard of as a backup striker.

Jim Harrison
38 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:24:23
As first comment posted says, CAM is a funny one. Given Ross's current form I can't see the club shelling out on Sigurdssson. The club are not yet at the level that players of his quality would come to sit on the bench.

That said, I have commented before that Barkley has never had serious competition for his place... Maybe now it's possible? And for the team to really step it up, there needs to be quality in depth

John Raftery
39 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:48:19
Sturbridge?! We are joking aren't we? He cannot play the pressing game for Klopp. What makes us think he can do so for Koeman?
Steve Ferns
40 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:52:18
For me, I now want to see few signings. I want every window to be like January – sign a top quality proven player and a great prospect.

Keepers – I will happily take another 18 months of these two, particularly if Robles continues to grow.

Full-backs – Is Kenny good enough backup? That's for Unsy and Koeman. In a 343 I think Lennon can back up Coleman for the next 18 months. Baines is backed up by Galloway, but I would see if there is anyone quality we can bring in.

Centre-backs – I think we need someone else, but that's because I would like 5 defenders for the 2/3 slots. Williams, Holgate and Mori are good enough for 3 of the slots, Pennington for the 5th slot, so perhaps Keane would be what we need.

Midfielder – Geueye, Schneiderlin, Davies, Barry, McCarthy, Besic all deep. If anything we have one or even two too many.

Attacking midfielders – Lookman, Mirallas, Barkley, Deulofeu, Lennon, Bolasie – I think we need one more here. They are collectively too narrow, so perhaps someone who can play outside, particularly if Geri leaves, as we need a plan B and C if the narrow pressing game isn't working.

Strikers – Lukaku, Calvert Lewin. I'm assuming Valencia leaves and Kone is released. This then leaves us with one Premier League striker, and I am ready for a summer of speculation.

I want Everton to be proactive and to either tie Lukaku down early or to get a replacement in early. We should also budget on keeping the pair so that we can play chicken with Lukaku and keep him if the likes of Chelsea try to bully us to knock the price down. £80m is being talked about at the moment, and if that money is offered, then I cannot see us turning it down.

If Lukaku goes, and it will be devastating for most of us, then we need to soften the blow by signing like for like. If he goes we could sign two to replace him, big and strong and fast and tricky to give us more options. I'll let Walsh earn his money rather than say who.

John Raftery
41 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:57:40
Sturbridge is certainly incapable of playing the pressing game. So is Sturridge!
Brian Harrison
42 Posted 08/02/2017 at 12:59:44
For me its who we hang on to will determine where we need to spend. I am sure Koeman will be trying his hardest along with Moshiri and Kenwright to convince Lukaku to give us one last chance to see if we make Champions league.

I hope that Lukaku stays and if he does he may need someone to take the load off him if we hope to challenge for a top 4 finish.

Gareth Clark
43 Posted 08/02/2017 at 13:10:05
Hate to comment on my own post – but just realized that Man City now have 3 strikers.

Aguero
Gabriel Jesus
& Iheanacho...

Unless Aguero is shipped out - I think Iheanacho would make a perfect back up to Rom... not only that, I think he could add a lot off the bench, as well as being capable to start, if Rom ever were to get injured.

Get him in, Ronald!

Ciarán McGlone
44 Posted 08/02/2017 at 13:37:45
Surprised that Pennington is getting the nod here.. I just don't see it.

We should've signed Bertrand when he was surplus to requirements at Chelsea.

I have no confidence in Williams at all. We need a good centre half to go with Holgate and/or Funes Mori.. and possibly two if Funes Mori doesn't improve his positioning.

Colin Glassar
45 Posted 08/02/2017 at 14:48:10
Scmeichel, Forster, Butland - GK

Shaw, Bertrand and Ake are all good shouts for LB.

Sigurdsson MF

Rondon CF

I'm not sure of CB as we seem to have some good kids in the wings.

Alan J Thompson
46 Posted 08/02/2017 at 14:59:18
14 games to go. If we don't look like breaking into the top 6 with 6 games to go then I would like to see more of our youngsters given a go before deciding what positions need new players brought in in the summer.
Sam Hoare
47 Posted 08/02/2017 at 15:26:41
Love these type of articles!

It's a very different ball game now that we are playing better and many players look like they are moving in the right direction. Sigurdsson for example would be competing with Barkley presumably, who has upped his level in the last month noticeably.

I'd say a very solid monster CB to bolster our defence is a must. Williams is a mid table player I fear and Funes Mori seems inconsistent. Van Dijk might be unlikely but Keane looks very solid and I still think Koulibaly would be fantastic though looks improbable.

Robles will make that No 1 Jersey his own if he keeps up his current level but otherwise we can hopefully take Pickford from a relegated Sunderland.

Left back also seems high priority as Baines slows down. Not sure Galloway is the answer yet and Foulds, Kenny etc are too fresh as well. Shaw seems appealing and Sessegnon at Fulham looks a terrific prospect but Bertrand would probably be the best option if available.

Another winger who works hard but can make/score goals is needed. A shame we could not get Arnoutovic. If only Dowell could get find the level of consistency that his mate Tom Davies has reached.

And striker. The big one. Fingers crossed Lukaku is still here but if he is then its going to be tough to persuade anyone decent here to play distant second fiddle. Someone young like Iheanacho might be a good call but doubt City would let him go.

Rob Dolby
48 Posted 08/02/2017 at 16:55:53
How about a left-footed wide midfielder or have they totally disappeared off the face of the planet? I can't remember the last one we had?
Baines has had BO since Pienaar left. What a waste of a quality player.
Frank Crewe
49 Posted 08/02/2017 at 17:03:57
It's amazing how many people think it's possible to buy "backup" players.

No Premier League club ever buys players as back up for players they already have. Players are bought to play. Not sit on the bench collecting wages

No decent player will ever sign on the understanding that they are a backup player and will only play when said player is injured, gets sold, or retires.

Koeman has already got rid of a bunch of players who could have been considered as backup players and he intends to get rid of more. What Koeman says he wants, and I'm sure we all agree with, is a squad of first-team players that are all in with a realistic chance of playing and providing strong competition for the players who are currently first choice.

Everton do not want anymore bench warmers adding to the wage bill collecting big salaries, blocking the progress of young players, and stopping us from buying players who will actually play.

From now on, it's "Nil Satis Nisi Optimum".

Gavin Johnson
50 Posted 08/02/2017 at 17:30:10
Think it depends very much on age and status, Frank. I don't see why we couldn't buy a young up-and-coming striker, say Kasper Dolberg from Ajax. He will be aware before he signs that he will always be secondary to Lukaku. We buy a striker with huge potential because we know he will be used sparingly from the bench and back up initially.

I'm not sure anyone on the thread is advocating we buy some more players like Darron Gibson or Aiden McGeady now just to bulk numbers up. We've graduated from Kwik Save and are now shopping at M&S. Who knows... in a couple of years, it could be Waitrose?!

Frank Crewe
51 Posted 08/02/2017 at 17:50:35
Why would Dolberg want to stunt his career by signing as second fiddle to a 23-year-old world class striker when his only chance of playing is if Rom gets injured? And even if he did get injured he would be dropped again as soon as Rom regained fitness.

Just like our young players, Davies, Holgate, Lookman etc, foreign youngsters want to play – not hang about waiting for someone to get injured.

Gavin Johnson
52 Posted 08/02/2017 at 18:04:05
Why wouldn't Kasper Dolberg sign for Everton knowing he would be the 2nd best striker, Frank? Isn't he about 19 years old?!

We also only have 1 established striker once Valencia and Kone leave in the summer. He's going to get game time, either through formation, injury, lack of form or Rom leaving.

Speaking of Rom, he signed for Chelsea when they had a number of established strikers who we could only dream of having at Everton when he arrived with the same, if not a bigger reputation than Kasper Dolberg.

I'm sorry, but I think you're talking nonsense there, Frank.

Paul Ellam
53 Posted 08/02/2017 at 18:08:20
GK – Forster, Ruffier, Sirigu, Patricio, Butland, Pickford (any of those!) to replace 1 of Stekelenburg or Robles.

DF – Taylor (Leeds) or Tierney (Celtic) to cover Baines position

Keane, Kone or Veltman (Ajax) for CB position.

MF - Mahrez or Perisic (have to try!) for the left wing seeing as Bolasie is missing long term.

Sigurdsson for CAM to compete with Barkley or even go for Rooney!

CF – Dembele (Celtic) although at £40m probably too steep. Maybe try Dolberg (Ajax) or somebody happy to wait in the wings like Haller (Utrecht) or Welbeck.

David Chait
54 Posted 08/02/2017 at 18:25:59
I would throw all my money into two positions: a dominant centre back to partner Holgate/Williams and a centre forward.

I feel our midfield can work with Schneiderlin and Lookman joining. Dowell and Walsh are in the background and would love them to be given a chance this season so we know if they can step up to the level required before the summer.

I would take a chance on the full backs for another year with Connolly and Kenny as understudy.

If we could get our hands on a creative attacking striker, à la Mata, I would be very tempted to push out the envelope and try get him in.

Frank Crewe
55 Posted 08/02/2017 at 18:27:15
Rom signs for Chelsea at 16. Gets no games. Gets loaned out to West Brom then Everton. Gets sold to Everton, a much poorer club than Chelsea. So far, he's won nothing. Could now be sold back to Chelsea.

I would also point that under Koeman's current one-up-front style unless Rom is injured or has a dramatic drop in form Dolberg would not get games and like any other player who thinks he should be playing and thinks not playing is hurting his career, not to mention his international chances, he will start rocking the boat. Just like Rom has done in the past when he thought playing for Everton was hurting his career.

Also If Rom leaves in the summer he wouldn't be a backup player he would be first choice, Duh! Talented players want games or they start leaking complaints to the press and generally bolloxing up the team morale.

Gavin Johnson
56 Posted 08/02/2017 at 18:42:36
Rom had actually just turned 19 when he signed for Chelsea, Frank. You are distorting facts to back up your argument.

Signing a 16-year-old is completely different to talking about a striker who had become an established player for Anderlecht and was wanted by many clubs in Europe. On your logic, no young players would sign for bigger clubs unless they were guaranteed first-team action.

Also, my point about Rom leaving would be that Rom will eventually leave the following summer (not this summer). Even then, Dolberg might not necessarily be 1st choice. What if he doesn't settle to the rigors of the Premier League, Frank?! ... which is another reason why a 19-year-old would be slowly integrated into the 1st team in the first place.

Kristian Boyce
57 Posted 08/02/2017 at 19:24:56
This might be bit of stretch signing but I'd love to see Thomas Muller sign for us. A couple of years ago this would never happen as he was one of the top players in the world, but he's had a bit of a struggle the past year or so.

It would be a statement signing and wouldn't be at the value he was rated at a couple of years ago. Great player and probably needs a new challenge after all his years at Bayern. Still only 27, he can play both as the main striker as well as playing a little deeper.

Jim Hardin
58 Posted 08/02/2017 at 20:04:02
For left back, Sunderland have an excellent one who might be available if they get relegated.
Mike Gaynes
59 Posted 08/02/2017 at 20:09:57
Kristian, that's not a "bit of a stretch"... it's pure fantasy. No way in the world Muller leaves Bayern for us. A player of his confidence would view it as a huge... and humiliating... step down.

And no matter how poor his current form, Bayern isn't going to kick him out. No way they give up on him now.

Peter Bradshaw
60 Posted 08/02/2017 at 21:06:18
Jim (Number 58), correction for you:

Sunderland have a bang average left back who will be a strong left back whilst you are in the Championship.

Oviedo was let go, not because he is a world beater, it's because he is no longer good enough for our club.

Plus he also went for £5 million .

Peter Bradshaw
61 Posted 08/02/2017 at 21:11:00
Think you will find we will bring in a centre forward, target man, if Rom goes we will need another striker.

Two centre defenders, one of which will be Keane

Keeper, think will be Forster

Koeman will not buy squad fillers, he will work with a smaller squad and develop further what we have in Unsworth's team.

I only believe he will bring players in that will improve us.

Len Hawkins
62 Posted 08/02/2017 at 22:34:47
Sturridge? This must have come from the Physio who is talking to himself since his regulars have gone to treatment rooms new.
Andrew Lum
63 Posted 09/02/2017 at 02:24:24
Regarding the left fullback/wingback position, perhaps Ben Chilwell may be an option? I recall he had an excellent Premier League debut for Leicester against us. Solid defensively, and good pace and movement on the overlap too.

Hopefully Connolly will come back from his stint at Wigan a much improved player and provide cover and competition for the right and left side of defence.

Matthew Williams
64 Posted 09/02/2017 at 09:29:02
Said it before... the replacement for Baines should be Friend of Boro. An old-fashioned type player I like; no nonsense, height, pace, with a wand of a left foot.

Or give Garbutt another chance there!

Defo No to Sturridge!!!

Alan Clarke
65 Posted 09/02/2017 at 11:17:36
Great topic and healthy speculation keeps us mentally sharp and healthy/deranged...

HOWEVER me thinks you've all been playing Football Manager wayyyyyy too long..

My goodness somebody even mention ISCO FFS seriously..?

COYB

Jim Bennings
66 Posted 09/02/2017 at 15:40:56
Joe Hart (still need a top class keep despite Robles recent decent form)

Michael Keane or but more unlikely Virgil Van Dijk.

Gylfi Siguardsson.

And a young left-back to first challenge then replace Baines.

An experienced, preferably Premier League proven striker to back-up Lukaku too.

Mike Allen
67 Posted 09/02/2017 at 15:47:08
We'll get big big money for Lukaku in the summer... I just hope we spend it wisely.
Ian Bennett
68 Posted 09/02/2017 at 19:26:05
Andrew (#63) – I've watched Chirwell quite closely when Leicester have played, as he was hyped for a big fee to the Red Shite. He's young, but I don't see anything to justify the fees quoted.

Elsewhere, we are going to be in exact competition with Liverpool for a keeper, left-back, centre-back and striker in the summer. A big if, but if we can get into a top position and strengthen this summer at their expense, the balance of power could be swinging.

Jim Hardin
69 Posted 09/02/2017 at 20:30:26
Peter,

"Lighten up Francis" – quoting Sgt Hulka. It was a joke.

However, since you bring it up. You are wrong. He is a very good player who can play various positions and was as good as, or better than Baines, which was why he was keeping him on the bench, until his injury. Given a run of games, he will establish, why he was bought by Everton in the first place.

However, absent selling Baines, Everton have no need for a 26 years old left back. Instead, Everton should be looking for a 20-22 year old to transition in and replace Baines over the next two seasons.

So, since your funny bone has been removed, to be clear, I am not saying Everton should buy him back. Next time, I will try to draw you a picture so we can all understand, okay?

Jamie Crowley
70 Posted 09/02/2017 at 20:50:35

We're 7 points off 4th... dream big.

Gareth Clark
71 Posted 09/02/2017 at 20:58:22
Jamie (#70),

I'm more like Koeman... Game by game, target the team above us, see what happens if & when we surpass them.

Tony Abrahams
72 Posted 09/02/2017 at 21:27:36
Mathew (#64), did this friend play left back for Boro, earlier in the season at Goodison Park?
Paul Roderick
73 Posted 10/02/2017 at 01:49:15
Hart or Begovic
Van Dijk
Aguero or Rooney.
Andrew Lum
74 Posted 10/02/2017 at 02:39:04
Ian (#68) – I agree, we shouldn't be paying big money for Chilwell, especially when our priorities are the goalkeeper, centre back and striker positions.

I thought Chilwell played really well that day considering it was his Premier League debut. I'm sure Steve Walsh knows the player well, and will recommend him to Koeman if he believes he's got what it takes.

Kieran Fitzgerald
75 Posted 10/02/2017 at 06:47:02
I would agree with Alan @46. It depends on who comes up from the u23 squad first.

I don't think there will be huge money spent on a number of players. I would think two players tops. A central defender and a striker possibly.

Anthony Dwyer
76 Posted 10/02/2017 at 11:19:03
A striker!

Paul @73 Aguero!! Really.... We are going to compete with the clubs who would love him are we!

I wouldn't want Rooney either.

Batshuayi from Chelsea (if they buy another striker) may be an option, even on loan.

Giroud always scores, maybe he will be available.

Rondon isn't bad either.

Midfield: Sigurdsson... especially if Swansea go down as he'd have to leave then surely.

Two big signings like Batshuayi and Sigurdsson would improve us drastically. I'd have a top keeper too if we had extra funds, although Robles has massively improved.

I wouldn't buy a centre-half as Holgate, Galloway, Pennington and Browning deserve chances.

Rob Dunleavy
77 Posted 10/02/2017 at 14:05:40
Sturridge??? Did I read that correctly... I hope not!

GK - I think is a priority for years with Howard, it was a position we never had to think about as it was a given. None of these two have really cemented themselves in the side. Hart, Schmeichel or Pickford are great choices.

CB - Defo need two in my opinion we look weak with Jags going and Holgate still needing experience. Keane would be a great addition, Van Dijk would be great if we could convince.

AM – I still think we need a further winger or a player who can play anywhere attacking across Midfield, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Sigurdsson would be great picks.

Striker – definitely need another striker even if Rom stays, to compete at the top we need two players capable of bagging 20 goals a season if having enough starts – Perez from Arsenal would be great if we could get him. Potentially someone young and lethal in front of goal – Gray from Burnley or a similar mould – a good young English talent.

Let's get in Europe first and hopefully the players will come as a result

Raymond Fox
78 Posted 10/02/2017 at 15:00:42
Some buying fever in the thread!

I still don't see Lukaku being an Everton player next season, where we find a player to come here to fill his boots defeats me. He will be a big loss.

Father time is catching up with Leighton; defending was never his best attribute. I like Galloway a lot and think that he could back up Baines next season. I am satisfied to stick with Robles and I don't see a need for another CB. I agree with signing Sigurdsson he looks quality.

So I think we will have to replace Lukaku and we probably need another goalscorer as well. I'd like us to give some of our young players a chance and not waste their talent.

Brian Furey
79 Posted 10/02/2017 at 15:41:38
Koeman has really strengthened our central midfield area which in turn has really made us hard to score against. Gana didn't play away to Chelsea where we conceded 5 and last weekend we conceded 3 without him though that was a rather strange game. Watford is the only other team to score more than 2 goals against us.

With Jags more or less gone and neither Funes Mori nor Williams proving that dominant and lacking in pace then we definitely need a big strong, fast centre-back who will help develop Holgate and the other young defenders coming through the ranks.

Our defensive record is quite good this year but I think it's more to do with how we play and our strong defensive midfield.

With Lookman looking like the real deal though we probably need to be patient with him, I'd really like to see Sigurdsson be our next big signing. He is good on the ball and will be great at threading through balls for Rom to run onto as well as being a good penalty and free-kick taker.

I think Rom will be with us for another 2 seasons but when he finally does leave we will struggle to replace him. It would be nice if we put a buy-back clause in his deal as I think he enjoys playing for us.

Charlie Lloyd
80 Posted 10/02/2017 at 17:42:01
Quite a few posters mentioning Lamine Kone. Please give me strength. Have we been watching the same Premier League this season? I honestly would like to see someone better than that. He's big and strong but a ball watcher who appears to have a questionable attitude.
Jay Harris
81 Posted 10/02/2017 at 18:28:37
GK – Butland or Tom Heaton although Joel seems to be developing well.

LB – Neither Shaw nor Lukaku can hold a candle to Baines even now, so I think we have to look for much better such as Ricardo Rodriguez or Jonas – Hector both outstanding in the Bundesleague. We did miss the boat with Bertrand and neither Galloway nor Garbutt can step up but Leeds's current left-back maybe one for the future.

CB – I think we dodged a bullet with Kone and would go for Van Dijk, Maguire or Keane in that order.

CF – Difficult one as fit into the team and Premier League ability is key to success and we don't know Lukaku's intentions just yet but it would be worth cheeky bids for Lewandowski or Aguerro and I wouldn't mind seeing Vardy (and Mahrez) at Everton.

Paul Smith
82 Posted 10/02/2017 at 18:54:28
Players I would like us to try and sign in the summer are as follows

Keeper, Hart, Pickford
Left back, Tierney, Shaw
Centre back, Keane
Attacking Midfielder, Sigurdsson
Striker, Inaki Williams and Lacazette if Lukaku goes

These signings plus get rid of more of the dead wood and things would be very rosy. I suppose a lot will depend on what happens to Lukaku over the summer.

Kunal Desai
84 Posted 11/02/2017 at 19:05:22
A striker to Partner Lukaku.
A creative midfielder who will compete with Barkley for a starting place.
A young Centre Back to partner Williams, maybe and perhaps another to replace Jagielka.
A goalkeeper to compete with Robles.

Those four players would have to be quality and the club in my opinion would need to be looking to spend over £100 million if they have any ambition to compete for the top four. No Under-23 or potential players; Everton will need to attract big-name first-teamers if they are to push on that next level up.

Tony Hill
85 Posted 11/02/2017 at 19:34:07
Today showed that we may need to get at least one winger in. I'm assuming Bolasie will take a considerable while to get back to fitness and form and that Lookman is a work in progress. We badly need pace and incisiveness across the front and a good part of that must come from wide areas.
Anthony Dwyer
86 Posted 11/02/2017 at 23:01:42
Charlie Lloyd (#80).

Agreed mate, but I'd be stronger than that, Kone is basically shite.

Someone mentioned Perez at Arsenal, he looks a player: Gabiaddini... looks a little bit like we may have missed something there.

Anthony Dwyer
87 Posted 11/02/2017 at 23:05:15
Mike Gaynes...

You may be right about Niasse, maybe I was a little harsh and quick to judge. He looks better than what we have on the bench!

Stephen Davies
88 Posted 11/02/2017 at 23:25:24
Yes I agree re Perez and Gabiadini. I suspect they were Walsh's picks. Either of them would have been a good buy for us... clever players.
Colin Glassar
89 Posted 11/02/2017 at 23:41:50
It all depends on whether BPB gets bored, or not, of negotiating I suppose.
Alan J Thompson
90 Posted 12/02/2017 at 13:53:23
Kunal (#84); Then you wouldn't think of giving Browning, Pennington, Holgate, Galloway or even Connolly a chance at some stage? And that's only central defenders, or did you mean not buying in U-23 and potential players?
Kunal Desai
91 Posted 12/02/2017 at 14:51:44
Alan, I meant not buying Under-23s or buying players who won't go into the first team. We have some great talent coming through the ranks but we need to mix that up with some real real quality and you have to stump up big money for that if you want to be in the mix for top four come the end of the season.
Roberto Birquet
92 Posted 12/02/2017 at 18:19:57
And realistic exits?

Does not seem a realistic survey if we stick our head in the sands on those who might leave.

Lukaku?
Gueye?

Who would Champions League teams want? Can we keep them?

That is as important as any signings. But as for those, we need centre-backs first of all. And strikers if Lukaku leaves.

Andy Meighan
93 Posted 12/02/2017 at 21:46:03
I'd love to know what planet you inhabit? Van Dijk, Schmeichel, Merteens... Do you seriously think any of them as well as some of the others you've mentioned would join us?

I doubt we'll be in Europe and if we are, we'll be lucky. So why would players of that calibre join a team that's just finished 7th best? I love Everton as much as anyone but I'm afraid were not a draw anymore.

Dan Doran
95 Posted 13/02/2017 at 20:14:39
Most important bit of summer business will be holding onto Lukaku and Barkley.

After that I'd love to see us get Sigardson, Rooney, Smalling, and Frank Kessie.

Sell all the players you'd expect including McCarthy and Besic. Gueye is a better version of McCarthy for me and Davies is a better version of Besic. Schneiderlan is sure to start with Barry a very capable back up but Barry is not long term which is where Frank Kessie comes in.

Could you imagine throwing on Rooney and Sigardson last Saturday instead of Valencia and Lennon? Two more points in the bank.

Gareth Clark
96 Posted 16/02/2017 at 09:22:13
I've come up with a final list of three realistic options - in order of preference:

GK: Schmeichel / Pickford / Butland

CB: Van Dijk / Keane / Blind (could be a great option, as he can play in plenty positions)

LB: Bertrand / Shaw / Robertson

CAM: Sigurdsson / Antonio / Lanzini

ST: Perez / Iheanacho / Haller

There are many more options, such as Hart, Gibson, Zaha, Janssen & Milik - but I think, realistically, we might end up with:

Pickford
Keane
Blind
Shaw
Sigurdsson
Iheanacho

I, for one, would be very pleased with that.

Personally, I also think Barkley will definitely stay – and that Lukaku will sign a new contract, and stay for at least another year.

Lining up in a 3-4-2-1:

Pickford
Keane Williams Blind
Coleman Idrissa Schneiderlin Baines
Barkley Sigurdsson
Lukaku
Subs: Robles, Holgate, Shaw, McCarthy, Davies, Lookman, Iheanacho

With the likes of Funes Mori, Barry, Besic, Mirallas, and Bolasie (when he is back) fighting for places – as well as the youngsters. This is a team that could fight for Champions League spots.

Koeman has made the team a lot closer, I think Lukaku is especially enjoying himself on & off the pitch... I don't think he will give that up.

Barry Jones
97 Posted 18/02/2017 at 18:53:35
Van Dijk, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sigurdsson.
Steavey Buckley
98 Posted 18/02/2017 at 19:29:54
Everton's best way of securing better players for next season is to find players who are not on the radar of bigger clubs. Once found and the deals are in place, newer players should join the training camp for pre-season.
Matthew Williams
99 Posted 19/02/2017 at 13:58:58
Mee & Friend for defence. Rashford, Wood & Josh King up front.

Gray from Leicester too would suit our style of play, plenty of pace there & most wouldn't be on the radar of the top 6, which we could all easily afford too, even if Rom goes or stays in the summer.

Tony Draper
100 Posted 05/03/2017 at 09:31:51
As Ronnie says "a clean sheet guarantees a point".

So as far as summer targets go, that Everton 'Keeper Joel Robles looks bloody good to me. Needs a proper backup, though.

Damian Wilde
101 Posted 12/03/2017 at 22:37:35
Leighton Baines cover? Replacement more like.
Andrew Keatley
102 Posted 12/03/2017 at 00:09:31
Lots of the same names being touted so I am going to go a bit off-piste. Several semi-known players from the French leagues have done well in the Premier League of late (Mahrez, Kante, Gana), Walsh obviously likes shopping there, so here are a few that might be in the mix:

Jean-Kevin Augustin (outperformed Mbappe for France Youth teams, won't get much playing time at PSG - would cost a lot)
Steve Mounié (big, strong, fast striker - major handful - could do high press)
Alassane Plea (having good season for Nice)
Wylan Cyprien (just did his ACL, so probably not now - but is very highly rated)
Jean Seri (diminutive centre mid, good passer)
Keagan Dolly (only recently signed for Montpellier - was brilliant for South Africa at the Olympics, and rated highly by Pienaar - brilliant left foot)

As for the best of the usual shouts I'd be going for:
GK Butland
LB/LWB Robertson
CB Van Dijk
CAM Siggurdsson
CF Dolberg

Wildcard: Michail Antonio - I don't know how he does it but he's got incredible energy, will play anywhere (effectively) and has a habit of scoring goals. Something of the Tim Cahill about him (headed goals aplenty).