The true Goodison effect

by   |   12/02/2017  41 Comments  [Jump to last]

Goodison. From days long past to the present day, we have always been proud to call Goodison Park our home. Now it seems our destiny lies on a different path in a different stadium.

The significance of a new owner, a new manager and more importantly, new money, cannot be underestimated yet I feel we have a unique opportunity to pay tribute to our history in a truly Everton way.

After reading Lyndon Lloyd's brilliant article about our potential move, I started to think of a way that we could do this. I propose that within our club, we retire the word 'stadium' and replace it with the word 'Goodison', in honour of the Grand Old Lady, Goodison Road, the borough of Walton, the great city of Liverpool, all Everton players and every Evertonian worldwide.

A bit like retiring the number of a great player, I feel that we owe it to the place that has given us so much. It is inevitable that the club will sell naming rights for our new stadium and with the USM deal concluded for Finch Farm, the possibility of a Sky soundbite of "Live from USM stadium" seemed ever more real to me.

Whatever the sponsor, I don't feel that such a name would reflect our heritage or what it means to be an Evertonian. If we call a 'stadium' a 'Goodison' then we can join our past with our future. It will mean that we will still go to Goodison on Saturdays yet she'll just be on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey (I hope).

"It's the Merseyside Derby live from USM Goodison". Or, "It's the Merseyside Derby live from USM stadium". You decide.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (41)

Peter McHugh
1 Posted 13/02/2017 at 19:51:47
Remember Goodison for Goodison. Great memories and we can tell our kids and grandkids about it. New stadium can be called whatever and hopefully we can make our own new history there.
Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 13/02/2017 at 20:05:27
Retiring shirt numbers is ridiculous and I am so glad we don't do it.

Retiring words is insanity... so yes, it stands a great chance of happening!

Ognjen Mojovic
3 Posted 13/02/2017 at 20:18:53
I think that in the club, number 13 is retired, but internally! :)
John Daley
4 Posted 13/02/2017 at 20:36:08
"If we call a 'stadium' a 'Goodison'..."

No problem with Goodison being incorporated into the name of any new home, but I struggle to understand the whole retiring of the word 'stadium' within the club ranks and how it would work in practice.

Would we only swap out the word 'stadium' for 'Goodison' when referring to our own stadium? What about those belonging to other clubs? Do we call those Goodison's now as well? Wembley 'Goodison', the Emirates 'Goodison' etc? If not, are we just talking selective retirement, then?

Would we still refer to a 'ground' as a 'ground', or would that now be considered a 'Goodison' too, the same as..err...Goodison 2?

Michael Kenrick
5 Posted 13/02/2017 at 23:47:56
'Ground' would be replaced by 'sky', John.

And Sky will be replaced by NBC, who actually do a far better job with their expat Brit crew.

Patrick Murphy
6 Posted 14/02/2017 at 00:52:13
I must admit that Goodison is perhaps, my favourite place in the world. However, it does need replacing and as we all know time catches up with everybody and everything. We will obviously all miss the 'Old Lady' when we leave but wherever we end up that will become home to Everton FC and therefore the Everton family.

People make places, with very few exceptions, and as long as the designers keep the 'people' in mind when they draw up their plans for the new stadium, Evertonians will over time make that place, 'our' place and that arena will become just as atmospheric and daunting to our opponents as Goodison has become.

Goodison has served Everton and Evertonians very well indeed and it will always be cherished by all those who have been lucky enough to witness some fantastic occasions there, but we have to leave, albeit it with a tear in our eye. However, the memories will always be with us and hopefully we'll make even better memories at the new place if and when we move.

As far as I'm concerned, they can call the new stadium whatever they like, within reason, as long as it's home to Everton FC and its supporters, the name doesn't really matter. If we don't care for its given name, we'll use our own more suitable name for it, regardless of what the suits may like us to call it.

Peter Howard
7 Posted 14/02/2017 at 06:35:02
Could get very confusing at the new ground when we start selling ' Goodison Tours '.

Can you imagine the faces on the young kids waiting in the rain outside the new Lidl on Goodison Road having paid £35 to be shown around.

Liam Reilly
9 Posted 14/02/2017 at 11:11:46
As they say "time stands still for no man".

I have some great memories of Goodison but the club needs to move on now. The most important thing for me is to replicate the 'Bear Pit' athmosphere that has become synomonous with the Old Lady.

Bill Watson
10 Posted 14/02/2017 at 15:42:30
It would be ridiculous to transfer the name Goodison to a new stadium. It would have been like calling Goodison The Anfield Road Goodison Park, in 1892.

Apart from naming rights, Everton should feature in the stadium name and/or the local district, eg, The USM Everton Bramley-Moore Dock Stadium.

Dave Williams
12 Posted 14/02/2017 at 17:05:28
Could name a stand or hospitality suite after The Old Lady?
Mike Green
13 Posted 14/02/2017 at 17:54:38
Bill (#10) – what a ridiculous thing to say.

Everyone knows the correct name is (and will always be to those with any sort of standards) the Stanley Park Priory Road Anfield Road Mere Green Field Goodison Park – and the new ground should, quite rightly, be called the (Sponsors Name if we have to) Stanley Park Priory Road Anfield Road Mere Green Field Goodison Park Bramley-Moore Dock (and nothing more or less than that – not Ground, Stadium or anything else bolted on when it means absolutely nothing... )

Personally I think Sunderland did well naming their new ground The Stadium of Light, if we could pull something off like that thats probably the best we could hope for but the name Goodison should stay firmly where it belongs – in Goodison.

Ray Roche
14 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:07:15
Mike, didn't Benfica call their ground the Stadium Of Light first? Their old stadium, not where they play now.
Mike Green
16 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:17:19
Yes Ray, however...

Sunderland apparently chose the name to represent the new stadium shining like a miners light over the city (as it was built on a pithead etc alongside the city's mining heritage).

Benfica's ground is known as the Stadium of Light as it is "within the neighbourhood of Carnide, the area located north of the stadium called 'Luz' (literally, 'Light'), after the church of Our Lady of the Light, "Light" referring to the Catholic concept of the presence of god". Its formal name however is, and always has been, the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica.

So – the Stadium of Light is Sunderland's ground's formal name, whereas it is Benfica's grounds nickname.

But let's be right, Sunderland nicked it, didn't they? :)

Ray Roche
17 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:21:04
Thanks for that Mike, interesting. I was unaware of Sunderland 's reasoning behind the choice of name for their ground.

Lisbon, though, beautiful city, well worth a visit.

Mike Green
18 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:27:33
My missus went there last year, Ray, with her mates – said it was great. Better move on else Ed's will get annoyed. :)
Chris Williams
19 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:27:46
Mike,

I was working down in the West Country a few years ago, and there was a couple of Sunderland fans staying at the same pub as me. We got talking in the bar over several nights and they explained all that to me, after I gave them a bit of a hard time over it, and why they're called the Black Cats.

Good lads, proper fans of a proper club, loved their ale too.

I can guess how they must be feeling bout the stuff going on there over the last several seasons.

Mike Green
20 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:33:23
Agreed on all counts, Chris @ #19.

(The Black Cats were the guns which defended the city in the war weren't they?)

Dermot Byrne
21 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:39:24
How about Goody McBoatface to reflect out heritage and the river's history?

Chris Williams
22 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:39:57
Mike

From what I can remember (my memory is worse than Ray's) it was a nickname for the miners, coming out of the dark into the light. I could be wrong, as strong drink was involved.

Mike Green
23 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:56:48
Chris (#22) – doesn't seem to be a definitive answer (see attached):

Link

Peter Anthony
24 Posted 14/02/2017 at 18:59:04
Gave me a chuckle that one, Dermot. Cheers! Personally, something like The USM Bramley-Moore Dock Stadium. USM being fitting of course: Unique, Special, Magical.
Chris Williams
25 Posted 14/02/2017 at 19:04:19
Blimey Mike,

A lot to some of this stuff isn't there. I'm pretty sure none of that stuff came up in our late-night debates.

A common detestation of Thatcher and all her works and pomps, I do recall though.

David Peate
26 Posted 15/02/2017 at 09:51:47
Whoever may be the sponsors and despite the media having to refer to the future ground by the sponsor's name and wherever the ground my be situated, it will always be Goodison. It was Goodison when I first entered the hallowed ground in 1942 and it will always be Goodison to me.
Terry Underwood
27 Posted 15/02/2017 at 11:22:33
There will be Evertonians with fond memories of Goodison Park. Move on, let another generation start making their own memories of a new ground whatever the name.

How about calling the new ground Ma Eggertons? – after the pub round the back of Lime Street Station. The London Blues and a few local lads used to meet for a couple of pints before the train back to Euston. I don't even know if the place is still there.

Brian Harrison
28 Posted 15/02/2017 at 12:00:37
Despite all the talk and even the Mayor telling us we will be in a new stadium within 3 years, still the club are saying nothing. We have had pictures from the Echo showing the supposed American architect viewing the new proposed site with Moshiri and Kenwright.

Maybe Peel Holdings know how desperate Everton are to build their new ground at the Bramley-Moore site, that they are screwing them to the floor over the price of the land. I wonder if the same enthusiasm will be there if Everton have to move to Stonebridge Cross instead of the Bramley-Moore site?

I would really hope that we hear something positive from the club, as they seem very reluctant to want to discuss where the new ground will be. Yes, we have had soundbites saying we know where the fans want the ground.

Well, like all things, the longer we delay, the costs will keep rising... both in land price and the cost of building the new stadium.Seeing as the club have ruled out any reconstruction of Goodison then they need to make the choice of venue very quickly.

Rob Dolby
29 Posted 15/02/2017 at 16:14:33
Put another tier on the Park End and rebuild the Bullens Road stand. I don't sit in corporate and don't particularly want to.

I like going to the match, letting off a bit of steam and occasionally having a few pints. I couldn't cope if we moved to a soulless, concrete, corporate arena. I would end up ramming a selfie stick up some tourist's arse as we got turned over.

As a club, West Ham have won the lottery moving to the Olympic Stadium, I bet Gold and Sullivan will make a tidy profit in a few years time whilst their fans will have to get their binoculars out to watch the game and pay a fortune for the privilege.

If we do move and, that's a big if in the current climate, we need to put the fans first and keep the meeting rooms, lounges, suites for the prawn sandwich brigade well away from the fans.

Alan McGuffog
30 Posted 15/02/2017 at 16:48:05
Love Lisbon! Anywhere that has a custard tart factory outlet gets my vote! (No 15 tram to Belem from city centre.)
Simon Smith
31 Posted 15/02/2017 at 18:58:00
This is all very well but can we at least get some sort of conformation that they actually intended to build our new home before we begin to worry about what to call it!

Been too many false dawns, I just want a stadium to be proud of and hopefully at the same time stick 2 fingers up to that lot that play in red!

Dermot Byrne
32 Posted 15/02/2017 at 19:20:13
Brian, understand the frustration of no news but I prefer that to issuing statements that raise hopes and are then dashed. Joe may have overstepped by his comments but I think Moshiri is being right. Cut out the crap from the media, in the end it seems to me he is saying he wants to get a new ground, that now is a window of opportunity and he would like the Dock. Other than that the rest is hope from media and us.

Like most of us I pray he pulls off a Dock move but he is wisely not saying it is a done deal. However behind the headlines of the likes of the useless Echo, I do reckon he is working hard for it to happen.

Until he tells us, we are jumping ahead of ourselves trying to name the new ground and risking huge disappointment.

Cautious optimism is where I am.

Charlie Lloyd
33 Posted 15/02/2017 at 22:24:17
I'm not too precious about the name as long as it's not something daft.

The atmosphere is paramount which comes down to location and design.

Lev Vellene
34 Posted 15/02/2017 at 22:58:39
As long as any potentially needed sponsor for the stadium name has the decency to only add initials, like in 'The USM Dixie Dean Stadium', I won't mind the sell-out too much...
Kevy Quinn
35 Posted 16/02/2017 at 13:04:23
People saying about delays etc. in announcing if land has been bought at the Docks is worrying. Have people never bought a house? It takes 6 months approx for that. So buying land for potentially millions of pounds would take a lot longer I would think, especially when you take into account surveys needed etc.
Eugene Ruane
36 Posted 16/02/2017 at 14:39:43
The Goodison effect?

One of them is..

"WelffumoobigffermightyefferfumfoletffgiveabigwelfumfooferBLUUUES!!

Or maybe the tannoy where you sit is newer than the one in the upper Gwladys (my guess, fitted in 1931)

James Flynn
37 Posted 16/02/2017 at 18:13:47
With all the sponsorship gold in them thar Naming Right hills, who knows what the new place will be called.

Would be nice if Mr Moshiri decided to simply name it Goodison Park. How would that look, and play, riverside?

Phil Walling
38 Posted 16/02/2017 at 18:34:14
I don't think we need to be in a rush to find a name. Firstly, the powers that be are a long time from settling on a docklands site; and secondly, wherever the ground is situated, its name will be at the discretion of the highest bidding sponsor.

Come 2025, I don't think I'll be around to care much!

Raymond Fox
40 Posted 16/02/2017 at 19:14:57
New stadium new era, it matters not what they call it.

It won't be Goodison, it's sad but time to move on.

Patrick Murphy
41 Posted 16/02/2017 at 20:22:55
Charles Watts an avid Gooner, has written an article speculating on the future of Arsenal, Wenger and Usmanov. It seems that the boardroom power impasse refuses to be unblocked and it may lead to Usmanov leaving the club, however, he still holds £300m worth of shares and might find it difficult to sell them to somebody who will be prepared to be excluded from major club decisions.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop in the coming months at Arsenal as its major shareholders decisions may impact upon Everton FC .

Usmanov Future?

Patrick Murphy
42 Posted 16/02/2017 at 20:31:52
Phil Kirkbride produces nothing major or new in this article save to ask how big a capacity should any new ground hold. There is reference to any new ground being more than just a football stadium and how it has to serve the city as well as the club.

New Ground Capacity?

Tony Hill
43 Posted 17/02/2017 at 15:41:10
I trust that in the dynamic new era we've actually engaged with Peel Holdings by now and that it isn't a case of hoping that the Council will sort something out if we only wait long enough. Or that something will just turn up.

I recall Joe Anderson predicting the stadium could be with us in 2 years, back in July.

Surely this time we haven't been served up a load of bollocks.

Alex Higgins