Striker

by   |   17/03/2017  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

Whether the Belgium lump stays or not, a striker has been needed for quite a while as we all know. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is now fit, so surely, seeing as we bought him and he has already been picked (the game he was injured), he should be ahead of Valencia on the bench or even start. Only 20 years old, he might surprise us.

I also reckon someone is gonna pick Chris Woods up, the Kiwi playing for Leeds who is on 25 goals (3 were in the EFL Cup). He scores all kinds and yeah, yeah, it's the Championship blah blah, but have a look on YouTube. He knocks them in from outside the box and great with his head.

He is a strapping 6ft-3in and I would be happy if we snapped him up. He is 25 and I wonder what he will go for? £20 mill would be reasonable. But what do I know...

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Chris Partington
1 Posted 18/03/2017 at 10:20:20
I think realistically if we lose Lukaku it wont just be a blow in trying to replace him as in finding someone young who will score 20 a season – but a blow to the talent around him and make them question how serious we are about this "project" – I imagine it would turn off Barkley, Coleman, Gana and anyone else who is being sniffed at by the "top 6".

I think it means we have to show intent with a replacement i.e. a big money move £30/40m – The lad at Lyon, Lacazette, or someone of similar stature perhaps the young lad at Chelsea Michy Batshuyi? I think losing Rom would be one thing but if we do it need to be a real name to replace him.

Stan Schofield
2 Posted 18/03/2017 at 10:45:31
'Whether the Belgium lump stays or not'? That's the most stupid start to a thread I've seen. No comment, apart from get a grip.
Gary Russell
3 Posted 18/03/2017 at 11:32:04
Steady there Stan. I was merely stating Rom is a big guy, and a little nod to him being flavour of the week. Some might say, saying no comment and then commenting is, well, err... stupid.
Stan Schofield
4 Posted 18/03/2017 at 13:14:30
Gary, point taken mate. I'm probably suffering from Lukaku comment overdose. Anyway, I agree about Chris Woods, good potential back up to Rom, who I hope sticks around.
Gary Russell
5 Posted 18/03/2017 at 13:25:20
I hope he does too, Stan. But he does himself no favours. My post was aimed at Woods and Calvert-Lewin, who I hope gets on the pitch today. We need to seek other options whether the Big Man stays or not.
Peter Gorman
6 Posted 18/03/2017 at 13:33:56
I'd never heard of Chris Wood before I read the fifth line of your article but from what I've seen since, it is a very good shout.

The Championship is a decent competition so his 22 goals in 34 games (plus respectable 13 goals last season) are not to be sniffed at.

He is a good age and seems to be in a rich vein of form. Think he is a decent team player too, judging from his obligatory youtube montages.

As an antipodean I expect him to be brimming with the self-confidence all good strikers need (insert Rom comment here).

Michael Kenrick
7 Posted 18/03/2017 at 16:03:09
Good call on Calvert-Lewin getting to start and scoring a fine goal!!!
Gary Russell
8 Posted 18/03/2017 at 17:09:07
Why, thank you, kind sir.
Dave Abrahams
9 Posted 18/03/2017 at 19:29:23
Gary Russell, two more tonight, one a pen, he looks a pretty decent player, worth watching, to buy that is.
Kunal Desai
10 Posted 18/03/2017 at 20:59:51
This guy has already scored against us when playing for Leicester. 2-2 draw in Martinez first season I think.
Steve Mink
11 Posted 18/03/2017 at 22:05:48
Tammy Abrahams is a good prospect. And there's a lad plays for Wolves called Costa who looks like a cut-price Payet.
Gary Russell
12 Posted 19/03/2017 at 06:47:43
Steve, Helder Costa is already on the big London clubs radar and probably others, too.
Denver Daniels
13 Posted 21/03/2017 at 07:26:03
Bas Dost of Sporting Lisbon. 27 goals from 35 games this season. Played in the Eredivisie and Bundesliga with a nearly 1 in 2 goals per game record.

Worth a shout for me but as a fellow Dutchman, you'd think Koeman would be aware of him, so probably doesn't rate him.

His record is pretty good though.

James Morgan
14 Posted 21/03/2017 at 08:10:39
As much as I like getting talent from the Championship etc, buying this Leeds lad hardly shouts ambition. Buying Lacazette to show Lukaku we mean business rather than as his replacement is what I would like to see.
David Ellis
15 Posted 22/03/2017 at 10:03:17
I'll leave this one up to Mr Walsh.
Peter Thistle
16 Posted 05/04/2017 at 08:24:32
I don't care who we sign as long as it's not from a lower division. Unless you lucky with a "Vardy, last season" you end up with rubbish.

Moshiri has to up the wage bill because there is no incentive for any decent player to join us, sadly.