Atletico's new stadium

by   |   16/04/2017  7 Comments  [Jump to last]

Dear all, a Toffee since 1962, aged 8. I am definitely dead-set against an athletics track around our new stadium pitch. Never, ever... we are used to being close to the pitch, giving a great intimate intimidating atmosphere... I'd rather stay at Goodison.

However, take a look at this lot's new stadium, built for Atletico Madrid: Wanda Stadio Politicano, which opens in September.

70,000 seats for football, but for an Olympic bid for 2020 or 2024. Three tiers, the lower 20,000 tier seats they loose for the running track. A floor covers the pitch and the seats. They still get middle and top tiers, 55,000 seats.

If Mr Joe Anderson can deliver and pay for his extra 20,000 seats, and have a track in our stadium designed to watch football in, well I am up for it. It'd be a football stadium adapted for athletics a few weeks every few years. We get 70,000 even 60,000. But we want steeper seat terraces as close – if not closer than we got now. Over to you, Mr Joe Anderson, Dan Meis, Mr Moshiri, Mr Kenwright...

You would get everybody behind 70,000 a top tier available on big games. I'd rather have a top tier not open for 12 games if we had 55,000 in the lower tiers than be too far away, looking across the space temporary seats.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (7)

Peter Lee
1 Posted 16/04/2017 at 21:09:29
The images look great Adrian, take your point about steeper stands though. The problem seems to be with the second and third tiers in new stadia. Is there a structural problem or inherent cost in having upper tiers overfly the lower to bring them closer to the pitch?

I've seen the German design discussed a few months ago here but would appreciate thoughts from some of TW's technical experts.

Tom Hughes
2 Posted 16/04/2017 at 23:04:16
Atletico looks like a neat solution but I'm not fully convinced. The viewing distances at the ends are still quite large for the rear rows, and quite shallow-angled in sight-line terms. It also works better for Atletico because they're going for a 70k stadium for 50k athletics mode. This might then equate to 55k football stadium, convertible to a 35k Commonwealth Games athletics stadium. Man

City overcame the awkward geometry conundrum of incorporating a track by having a temporary stand at one end, because they wanted their upper tiers to overhang the lower tier bringing fans closer to the pitch.

Of course we want a functioning football stadium before it's need for the Commonwealth Games... therefore a temporary stand is probably not viable. Perhaps a moving stand could be a workable solution... but expensive for a one-off event.

In other words it's always a compromise, and imo, the Vincente Calderon is a better football stadium.

Derek Thomas
3 Posted 17/04/2017 at 11:29:48
Not seeing any pics and I don't want a running track.

So, for that reason – I'm out.

David S Shaw
4 Posted 17/04/2017 at 12:05:58
Too many tiers filter the atmosphere, so no way I'd want more than two tiers behind the goals.
Laurie Hartley
5 Posted 17/04/2017 at 12:14:23
Adrian - Atletico's stadium is spectacular

Link

But I don't fancy a running track either.

It seems Dan Meiss will be the architect. Having had a look through his website I think he will probably take the environment and history of the site into account in coming up with his design.

Link

I am thinking we are going to need a roof down by the river. Is that the Liver Buildings I can see through the window?

Link

I am hoping Dan Meiss is going to come up with something equally spectacular. I suppose it will depend on who is going to finance and own the stadium.

I hope it is someone with plenty of money.

Paul Burns
7 Posted 19/04/2017 at 08:44:50
No running track, end of story.

We can't let Joe Anderson highjack our stadium for his vanity project.

Let him do up the athletics stadium in Wavertree Park, there's room there to add the various smaller facilities that are needed for smaller sports that can't be accommodated in the arena at King's Dock like a proper Olympic size swimming pool.

Its about time this city started doing things properly instead of the usual half-arsed efforts like transport: South Liverpool Parkway where you still have to get a bus to the airport. Pathetic and typical.

Bobby Mallon
8 Posted 21/04/2017 at 17:26:30
I just hope this idea is implemented. Looks cool.