An Ideal Summer

by   |   17/04/2017  41 Comments  [Jump to last]

With the season end fast approaching we start to wonder what we might need to take the next step and get into the Champions League.

If it wasn't for our poor run towards the start of the season we may of actually made it this year suggesting that we are not so far away. I feel that we could make massive leaps forward if we were to bring Champions League football to Goodison Park and really build our team, but failure could mean losing some serious assets.

To start with we need to build on this season and to do so we will want to keep our best players. The two main doubts are Barkley and Lukaku.

With Lukaku, he has said he won't sign a new contract for now, but his existing one has two years on it and he should be kept for another year to see if we can progress and if we do attain Champions League would he then reconsider. He has said he wants to create history and what better way.

Barkley has less time on his contract and has apparently been told to sign or be sold. A possible solution is to offer a one year extension so to have the same as Lukaku as Champions League is so important to both players, let's see if they can get us there!

Having tied these players down, we would then need to build a stronger squad. We had a decent clear out in January and can add at least Kone to the vacating list in the summer and need as much quality as possible.

I think we'll need a goalkeeper, backup Left and right backs, a centre back maybe two, a quality striker and maybe a few creative midfielders/wingers. So possibly about eight signings.

Being someone who reads transfer gossip and prematurely gets excited, I would be over the moon to see these players that have already been linked to Everton at some point.

GK - Hart £15m
RB - Trippier £8m
LB - ?
CB - Keane £25m
CB - Van Dijk £40m
MF - Sigurdsson £30m
MF - Tielemans £25m
CF - William Jose £28m
CF - Dolberg £15m

Although I can't see us splashing out in excess of £180m, I do believe these are all quality players and would be very happy to see them in an Everton shirt next season.

I am feeling very optimistic at the moment and as long as we maintain what we already have, including the manager, and can add a few quality signings we should be able to provide a strong challenge for the Champions League places.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (41)

James Doran
1 Posted 17/04/2017 at 08:48:46
Martin,

I like the idea of offering Barkley a 1-year extension, but only as a last ditch attempt if he won't sign a longer contract.

I think we need a first choice left wing-back for next season, as Baines can't get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes anymore. Is it too late to convince Kolasinac to join us for next season? Maybe Shaw will be available? Who knows, but I trust Koeman and his Team.

Bill Watson
2 Posted 17/04/2017 at 11:43:55
Hart is error-prone and not much improvement on what we currently have. With Shaw we'd, essentially, be signing a sick note so he's a no-no.

If he becomes available I think we should make a determined effort to sign Pickford.

I must agree with Dyche in that I dislike speculating about players contracted to other clubs just as much as I dislike other clubs commenting on our players. It's one of the many regrettable facets of the modern, money fixated, game.

Goalkeepers; Andy Rankin was the last local goalkeeper who came through the ranks and held down a first team place. That was 50 years ago! Since then, neither Everton or Liverpool have brought through a decent goalie. A combined total of over a century without producing a goalkeeper! Remarkable!!

Paul Ellam
3 Posted 17/04/2017 at 13:57:32
I agree with you that we won't spend 𧵬m. Hopefully this means we will keep both Barkley and Lukaku.

My choices with a more realistic budget would be the following:–

Jordan Pickford
Michael Keane
Charlie Taylor (Leeds)
Gylfi Sigurdsson
Willian Jose or Inaki Williams

That's still probably over 𧴜m!!! This is hard.

Good luck, Steve Walsh.

Andy Crooks
4 Posted 17/04/2017 at 20:44:05
Martin, in my view an ideal summer would start with what we have. Add a defender, a creative midfielder and a striker, and then, Champions League.
Don Alexander
5 Posted 17/04/2017 at 20:59:36
I can't remember a team who immediately qualified for the Champions League having made eight major signings in the weeks before the season began. So I'd settle for three or four, whilst retaining what we have of course.

I'd like to eat my words though!

Gareth Clark
6 Posted 17/04/2017 at 21:38:32
First of all, I think Lukaku will stay for at least one more year.

Secondly – I think Barkley will sign.

Now to the fun part!!!

What I like about Koeman is that he doesn't only build a team "for the future", he constantly looks to what will work now, and what will help for later.

In essence, we need the following to have a quality squad for Europe – in order of my preference, and all, arguably realistic:

GK: Schmeichel / Heaton / Pickford

2 x CB's: Keane / Gibson / Maguire / Zouma / Ake / Blind

LB: Chilwell / Bertrand / Robertson (Along with Sessegnon from Fulham)

RB: Trippier / Zabaleta / Sagna

CM: Tielemans / Klaasens / Carvalho

CAM: Sigurdsson / Rooney / Ziyech

ST: Iheanacho / Batshauyi / Dolberg / Perez / Janssen

GK – Schmeichel offers that little bit more than Heaton & is a little younger.

2 x CBs – the most likely & my first choice in terms of our team dynamic, is Keane & Maguire. Both English & young, big and strong, but also good on the ball.

2 x LB: I don't see Bertrand coming in & competing with Baines, even though he would be my first choice. Chilwell will give Baines competition & will be more than capable when called upon, a perfect long term replacement for Baines. I would also make sure we go in early for Sessegnon from Fulham, 16 years old & killing it. Buy him and let him spend a few years in the Championship, playing every game at a high level.

RB: This is a tricky one for me, because we do have so many young RB's at the club. Holgate does a job (although I see him as a CB), and that's not to mention Browning, Kenny, Connolly, Jones. Trippier is a great option, but I don't see him coming in really. The perfect solution to the Coleman situation, in my opinion, is to get in Zabaleta on loan, or on a year deal... He is a solid defender, has good experience & will do a very good job.

CM: Tielemans is the perfect option, it will mean that him & Davies will be sharing the more free role of the CMs. I don't think it will hamper either of their progress, plus the competition will be good for both of them. Plenty of games to share between them.

CAM: Sigurdsson is one of my favourite players – everything is right about this. Right age, plenty Premier League experience, great attitude & work rate. Brilliant on set pieces, something we have been lacking lately. Him over Rooney is an easy choice.

ST: Iheanacho is my ideal choice – he is currently sitting as third choice striker at Man City. & that is before they invest in the next window. He will get plenty of game time off the bench. He has the most experience of the bunch & has been extremely effective already. He is the ideal replacement for Lukaku, if he leaves. Worth a mention also, is Sambou, I think he will be a great player to come.

GK: *Schmeichel / Robles / Stekelenburg / Hewelt

RB: *Zabaleta / Coleman / Browning / etc

RCB: *Keane / Holgate / Jagielka / Pennington

LCB: A Williams / *Maguire / Funes Mori / Galloway

LB: Baines / *Chilwell / *Sessegnon (loan out)

RCM: Idrissa / McCarthy / J Williams

CDM: Schneiderlin / Barry / Besic

LCM: Davies / *Tielemans / Walsh

RAM: Barkley / Bolasie / Lookman / Dowell

LAM: *Sigurdsson / Mirallas / Calvert-Lewin

ST: Lukaku / *Iheanacho / Sambou

A very strong squad & a lot of diversity – and a balance between young & experience.

I do see a few players moving on:-

Deulofeu
Lennon
Kone
Valencia (he has been great, not sure where he will fit or if he accepts the bench)
Tarashaj
Niasse
Garbutt
Stekelenburg possibly
Funes Mori possibly

We will get a decent amount of money back, which helps with incomings.

As well as a lot of the youngsters going out on loan. (Preferably with an option to call them back whenever) – get them in a team in the championship or even a league 1 team that will fight for promotion... get them playing every game! – as I mentioned with Sessegnon.

COYB!

Colin Glassar
7 Posted 17/04/2017 at 22:10:54
Gareth, that was like trying to read a book about chess. Good go though.
Paul Burns
8 Posted 19/04/2017 at 08:53:27
We have to be ready for all contingencies.

When Liverpool lost Fernando Torres, they obviously already had Luis Suarez lined up just in case.

This is the state of readiness we have to be in but, as we all know, Everton's transfer dealings have left a lot to be desired over the years and it would be a recurring nightmare to see large incoming money from transfer sales frittered away on panic buys.

Sam Hoare
9 Posted 19/04/2017 at 10:04:41
Since Moshiri and Koeman have arrived we have expected loads of players and loads of money to be spent. Neither have really happened and i'm not sure it will again this Summer. I expect 3-4 first team players to come in, more perhaps if we sell important players such as Lukaku and Barkley.

I have heard a lot of the same names (Siggurdsson, Hart, Keane etc) so here are a few less well known players who have been excellent this season and are worth looking at.

LB/RB: Ricardo Pereira has been excellent on loan from Porto to an overperforming Nice this season. 23 years old, rapid and good on the ball and crucially has experience of playing both right and left back meaning he could fill in for Coleman and also then take over from Baines.

CB: Christopher Jullien, a cheaper Van Dijk. He's 6ft-5in and has been very strong for Toulouse this season. Benjamin Hubner from Hoffenheim might be another option.

AM(LCR): Hakan Calhanoglu, the young Turk has performed well again for Leverkusen and looks to be an Ozil type player who can fit in anywhere behind or even alongside a striker. An excellent free kick taker. Other in form playmakers might include Christian Pulisic, Emil Forsberg, Felipe Anderson or the much discussed Hakim Zyech who has been on good form too.

ST/W: Steve Mounie; It's going to be difficult to persuade a top striker to come and play second fiddle to Lukaku but the young Frenchman has had a pretty good season for Montpellier and has a similar physique to Lukaku; though he is not quite so quick, he's arguably better in the air and would certainly give defenders a physical presence to worry about. Another option may be making Valencia's loan permanent, the Ecuadorian has done well and if he's happy to continue his role as primarily and impact sub then we do could a lot worse.

Alasdair Mackay
10 Posted 19/04/2017 at 10:14:54
With European football to consider we need to beef up the squad, but we do have some great youngsters that will help with that.

We need 5 CBs - 2 left footers, 2 right-sided (at least 1 of whom can operate in the middle of a 3) and a long-term leader for the centre. We have Galloway and Mori for the left side and Jagielka, Holgate, Pennington competing for the right side. Jags can also play in the centre, where Williams is currently the first choice, but neither are long-term prospects.
So 1 CB who can play on the right side of a 2 or 3 or in the middle of a 3 is needed: Keane, Maguire, Gibson?

We need LB cover having lost Oviedo and Bainesy has definitely lost a step, so we need to think about a long-term replacement for him. It could be Robinson, but with Garbutt not working out, all our eggs are in one basket a bit, so investment in that area is essential: Chilwell, Gibbs, Sessegnon?

RB can be covered by a combination of Holgate, Kenny, Connolly until Seamus is back. Let's see what the kids do. One of them will surely step up.

In midfield we have Schneiderlin, Gana, Besic, Davies and Barry still with a year left on his contract. We also have J Williams and Walsh coming through. Barkley can play there and I think we will bring Rooney in, who can also fill in very well, so I really don't see this position as necessary to add to.

W/AF; Mirallas is the model of inconsistency, but still a great player on his day. We also have Bolasie coming back, Lookman and Calvert-Lewin coming through. Lennon and Deulofeu will probably go – we are overstocked in this area.

CAM. We have Barkley and even he may be sold (hope not), so this is an area we need to address urgently. Rooney would be my first choice, but I would also bring in Sigurdsson and have the 3 of them compete. Wayne can also play up top, while both Barkley and Sigurdsson can play across the midfield, so they will all see plenty of playing time.

STR - Lukaku (but we need to have a replacement lined up). I would sign Valencia as cover AND go and get another. Willian Jose has been linked – don't know much about him. Whoever it is – it needs to be in the Lukaku mould. A big, strong goalscorer.

We also need a goalkeeper. My choice would be Fraser Forster.

So – Forster, Keane, Gibbs, Sigurdsson, Rooney and a CF replacement (medium term) for Lukaku. Plus get Barkley signed up.

Martin Nicholls
11 Posted 19/04/2017 at 10:46:34
Sam (#9) – very interesting post. These are the type of players I would expect us to go for. Going for the big and known names that others suggest would lead to the question "What is Walsh doing for his money?"
Guy Hastings
12 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:05:28
I'm not convinced by Pickford at all. Lots of great saves but all keepers make those. I want someone commanding, who knows how to deal with a solid backline in front of him.

As Pat Jenning observed when winning Footballer of the Year, "I'm not surprised I won this playing behind my defence."

Gareth Clark
13 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:09:51
Alasdair (#10) – in modern football do you really think we need a left-footed player for the LCB position?

Yes, if you have the right players, then it is slightly preferable... but are you telling me Williams, Jags, Maguire, Keane or Van Dijk couldn't play there?

I would prefer Williams, Maguire, Keane or Van Dijk over Funes Mori at LCB.

David Graves
14 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:35:04
Gareth,

That's some shopping list: Schmeichel, Zabaleta, Keane, Maguire, Chilwell, Sessegnon, Tielemans, Sigurdsson, Iheanacho.

And we keep Lukaku?

I think you might be in for a disappointing transfer window.

Rob Young
15 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:43:38
Gareth, great shout on Iheanacho! I wasn't thinking of him but he always seems to do well when playing and is now indeed 3rd choice at Man City. He would be an good signing that.

Rashford + money for Lukaku would do for me as well.

John G Davies
16 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:46:55
We will sign two or three players of the quality that will give us Blues a very pleasant surprise. Players that we could never have signed in the past. As well as the squad being improved with others.
Brian Harrison
17 Posted 19/04/2017 at 11:56:51
Well, it's that time of the year when fans start drawing up lists of players they hope the club will sign. Without any thought to cost or availability, but it's great fun. The only player I would have from Gareth's list is Keane but I don't think we will be the only club chasing him this summer.

What is critical is what happens with Lukaku and Barkley, as what happens with them will ultimately determine what players we need to look for.

I know many are saying that Barkley's reaction to his goal on Saturday means he is staying. I sadly am not so sure, the offer has been on the table for a few weeks and he still hasn't signed it.

He could end all speculation and sign the contract, if he is going to stay then why the delay. I don't think Everton will alter their offer and as the days and weeks get closer to the end of the season and the contract is unsigned, then I believe he will move on.

If he does, then Everton cannot afford to sell Lukaku at any price. To lose both of our main strikers in the summer would set us back. Yes, we can buy new players... but how long before they settle in to a new club and possibly have to learn the language?

Adam Scott
18 Posted 19/04/2017 at 12:02:16
It is always a really difficult one as I find in discussions like this, people tend to pick on reputation or paper tittle tattle. None of us see enough of a player to make solid judgments on their ability, nevermind their personality.

That being said, a few targets that I feel are attainable that I hope the powers that be would look at are:

1) New GK: Pickford. Highly rated. I haven't been blown away by him, but I accept I haven't seen too much of him. If Walsh and Koeman want him, I would support it.

2) LB: Like Chilwell, but Leicester aren't going to be in a rush to sell him really. Would be my number one target.

3) CB: Keane is looking trickier by the day. Here I would hope Walsh would earn his corn. Will there be centre-backs on the continent that are of similar levels?

Two players I would look at not mentioned are:

1) Diamari Gray. Think he was a steal for Leicester when they bought him. Doesn't play regularly and is a Walsh buy. As Bolasie isn't coming back the same player, I would like to see us go for him.

2) Batshuayi. If Chelsea get Lukaku, he has no place. Good pedigree and at a similar stage in his career to Lukaku when we bought him. Sure we could convince him to be a replacement for Rom. Leading man in a European playing side? I think he could develop with us. With Chelsea wanting Lukaku, there is a clear path for him joining us over others.

Players who we will struggle with previously mentioned:

1) Tielmans: I can't see him joining us over 'bigger' clubs known for developing talent. Dortmund interested. If I were a young player, they would be my first choice.

2) Keane: I worry with more and more clubs looking at this lad, especially with Tottenham now being interested, this could be tricky to pull off. Hope I am wrong.

Adam Scott
19 Posted 19/04/2017 at 12:07:16
Whoever it is - it needs to be in the Lukaku mould. A big, strong goalscorer.

See, I don't think it does, Alasdair. If Rom goes, then some vision of replacing him like for like is tricky. I think one player who I would push for (that I know) is Sigurdsson. Not a striker, but an attacking midfielder that scores goals. His playmaking would give our game a different edge. Then a smaller, mobile striker (Willian Jose) has the potential to thrive as well.

If Rom goes, the way we play (with a 'lone' frontman the focal point of the team) will have to change.

Ajay Gopal
20 Posted 19/04/2017 at 12:25:36
The most important business in the close season is to tie-up Lukaku and Barkley extremely high wages (by Everton standards). It was speculated that Lukaku was offered 𧵄k per week. That should go up to 𧵧k if necessary and Barkley to 𧴵k. Both combined would cost Everton in excess of 㾻 million per year but worth it in my opinion.

Having said that, these wages would be a necessary but not sufficient condition to keep them at Everton. Signing 5 class players – 2 of Rooney, Mata, Fabregas or Sigurdsson; 1 of Keane or McGuire; 1 of Antonio or Negredo; and 1 LB should be enough to convince Lukaku and Barkley of the club's ambitions.

Alasdair Mackay
21 Posted 19/04/2017 at 13:20:00
Gareth #13

Yes. I do.

Van Dijk is left-footed, which is part of the reason why his price is so inflated and so many clubs are after him.

In a back 3, you need a left-footer on the left, so you have a balance when in possession. It also helps to force attacking players outside and keep yourself between the goal you are protecting and the ball.

Alasdair Mackay
22 Posted 19/04/2017 at 13:28:38
Adam (#19),

Maybe you are right, but Everton have always had a great history of centre-forwardds from Dean to Lawton to Young, Royle, Latchford, Sharpe, Ferguson and now Lukaku.

My preference would be to stick with this tradition, but the most important attribute is, of course, scoring goals!

Eugene Ruane
23 Posted 19/04/2017 at 13:37:19
An ideal summer?

Non-footballing ideal summer would involve a time-machine set to 1976 (summer of sun) and a daily 'saucy romp' with my TV dolly-bird girlfriend Maddie Link

Football ideal summer?

Keep Rom, keep Barkley, buy a decent keeper and buy a big massive grocky huge-shouldered, 6' 5" centre-half.

Oh and someone (anyone) who can shout "MAN ON!!!"

Bolasie returns fully fit, a couple more lads come through the ranks (really like the look of Sambou) and...that'll do me.

Great if that was all sorted before our first friendly (or Europa qualifier) too.

Up the Toffees!

Sam Hoare
24 Posted 19/04/2017 at 13:47:01
Adam @19 dunno that Willian Jose is exactly the small and mobile alternative to Lukaku. He's 6ft-1in and scores a great deal of his goals with his head from what I've seen.
Adam Scott
25 Posted 19/04/2017 at 14:01:39
Fair enough, Sam. I may be mistaken on that one.
Colin Hughes
26 Posted 19/04/2017 at 14:14:59
Looks like the redshite are getting Joe Hart in the summer which is disappointing as he is just what we needed. I honestly don't think we would have lost that Anfield derby if we had had a keeper who knew where his goalposts where.
George McKane
27 Posted 19/04/2017 at 14:37:30
Been watching German Football for a long time and seriously rate and have mentioned him before on TW – Timo Horn of Koln FC – big strong goalkeeper and very young but been around for a while. Worth a go!
Adam Scott
28 Posted 19/04/2017 at 14:39:56
Liverpool have no interest in him according to Kaveh Solhekol‏ who is a sky reporter (look up on twitter)

To be fair, I wonder whether someone like Timo Horn may be a better, more under the radar option. I like Hart, but even with his price tag, wages and reputation, he has more than a few errors in him

Bill Gall
29 Posted 19/04/2017 at 14:41:56
The only thing that I want to see this summer is for the management to not procrastinate in the transfer window and get their dealings done from the start, to show the type of player they want and that will demonstrate their ambition.

As a number of people have mentioned, we have to keep our best players and you can either love him or hate him – Lukaku is a player most clubs would pay a record fee for. A player like him although still learning has that natural ability to score goals and that is something that all the top clubs require, and if he is sold he will be very difficult to replace.

As far as Barkley goes, he is another player I think the club should keep but if it becomes impossible to agree his terms and is sold I think that with the money we get for him we can replace him with a quality midfielder.

There are a number of players mentioned here that I would like to see at Everton but you have to think of how many will want to come. The management have to show right from the start their ambitions, and this will reflect in the type and number of players they go after.

Dermot Byrne
30 Posted 19/04/2017 at 16:09:43
The post that stands out for me is Sam (#9). That is where we will operate and hope we do.

Some budding stars that become ours rather than expensive football hookers.

Raymond Fox
31 Posted 19/04/2017 at 16:52:38
What's the obsession with goalkeepers? We have conceded 37 goals in 33 games, only 4 teams have let less in. It's on the goals scored we need to give Lukaku some assistance.

All goalkeepers make mistakes but we don't watch them every game, same for outfield players we don't see enough of them to make a proper judgement most of the time.

If Lukaku really wants to go and we stop him, he's not going to love the club, is he? I think we should sell If he does, I'd love him to want to stay but it doesn't look like it to me.

Our problem is still that we will be signing players that the 'money' 'fancy' clubs call them what you may, don't want. That's the mountain we have to climb and how we overcome that handicap I haven't the answer, unless Moshiri and his mate Usmanov buy the club outright and splash a mountain of cash.

James Hughes
32 Posted 19/04/2017 at 17:24:31
Ray, the Burnley and RS games are a bit fresh in the mind and maybe, just maybe, that should read 33 in 33 games conceded.

Past few weeks he seems to have gone back to weakly punching instead of catching and clearing out players in his way. Can we get better or do we wait for him to improve?

Alan J Thompson
33 Posted 19/04/2017 at 17:26:15
Raymond (#31); I tended to agree with you on the goalkeeping position up until the last 2 or 3 games.

The Dutch keepers' coach that came in with the new management seemed to have cured Robles of sliding around on his knees with his arms outstretched, that is, him being hit by the shot rather than making the save.

Also, that at his size he should be catching more crosses than he was. This combined with the occasional good save made it look like there was the makings of a good keeper.

However, recently he has recommenced sliding on his knees and his positioning has suffered as he moves to where he thinks the ball will go rather than positioning himself to move for all, or most, possibilities, the worst example being the penalty against Burnley when all he needed to do was cover his near post until someone got between him and the ball. Unless this is corrected in the few games left then perhaps we should be looking for a more consistent keeper.

Similarly, if we win this week and West Brom lose then 7th is tied up and perhaps a few youngsters like Kenny and Walsh should be given a run and also Holgate as a central defender which may give the manager food for thought before dipping into the big money transfer market.

John G Davies
34 Posted 19/04/2017 at 19:02:27
An ideal summer?

Keep Romelu and he scores even more than the 28-ish goals he scored this season with the better quality players we will buy around him. 25 league goals in 32 starts.

He was getting ripped in the manner of "He will never be a 1-in-2 striker" earlier. Now, he has smashed through the 1 in 2, it's "He can't score against the big clubs".

Those hitting him with that stick conveniently forget he is up against better class defenders, we have less of the ball, therefore there are less chances created.

Three games mentioned this season – all away, vs Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs. I am struggling to recall the host of chances created for him in them games that he fluffed. Perhaps someone can jog my memory.

Next thing would be to bring players into the club that can get into double figures from midfield and in the No 10 position. 2nd highest scorer? Coleman with 4.

Romelu scored over 40% of our goals. 👍

Next one. A commanding centre-half;ideally Van Dijk.

Bid for Trippier at Spurs. He's back on the bench when Walker is fit.

Bolasie back fit. .Best crosser of a ball off either foot in the squad.

Koeman to continue introducing the youth into the squad. Another myth that was popular: "he refuses to play kids" .

In my opinion, Everton will make a big statement in summer with the quality of player we bring in.

Mark McParlan
35 Posted 19/04/2017 at 20:18:21
Remember we have to be practical, realistic. We are not a 'big' club yet. Any shopping list totalling upwards of 㿷 mil with sales factored in can sadly be dismissed outright. With this in mind, I've a few suggestions.

IN

- Harry Maguire from Hull at CB. 㾻-20 mil.
- Ben Chilwell from Leicester at LB. 㾻-20 mil.
- A GK, possibly Joe Hart, 㿀 mil.
- Gylfi Sigurdsson, AM, around 㿅 mil. If Swansea go down, he will definitely leave.
- Wayne Rooney at CM/AM, providing that there is no or a negligible fee, and he takes a sizeable wage cut. If this happens, we'd be silly not to welcome him back home.
- A new DM, for a around 㾶 mil. Not sure who yet.

-Total about 㿼 mil to 䀋 mil. We need a lot of sales to cover.

OUT

- McCarthy, he's been unsettled for a while. We must hold for at least 㾶 mil.
- Niasse. Hopefully Hull will activate the 㾶 mil buy clause with the loan deal. If not; hold for ten anyway. He has scored Premier League goals.
- Deulofeu, he won't be playing for us again, he's happier elsewhere. Barcelona may activate their buy back, roughly 㾶 mil, if they don't, we need 㾻 mil+ for him.
- Cleverley. Are Watford obligated to pay ٧mil for him? If not, we can get ٣ mil for him.
- Besic, Kone, Stekelenbyrg, McGeady I don't expect much for these.

- So that's 㿏 mil to 㿙 mil sales.
- Total Summer spending then ranges from 㿏 mil to 㿨 mil. Sounds... reasonable.
- In addition. If there is no new Lukaku contract, keep him here for next season, and sell in the summer of 2018 when his contract has 1 year left. Get the new Barkley contract sorted out quickly as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With this in mind, this is the sort of team I'd put together:

First XI

Davies
Barry New CM
Chilwell Jagielka Funes Mori Holgate

Robles

Andy Crooks
36 Posted 19/04/2017 at 21:05:46
Cor blimey, Eugene, I put that link up in work.

1976, best summer ever, last time I ever felt happy. Space, Magic fly. Leo Sayer. Viva Roxy Music, David Essex. Utter shite but the Ramones were there too.. And Madeleine. Skiiingg with Gina and Magpie. Magpie and vampires. Movie Macabre, Summertime City and travelling on the overnight boat to see Everton, buying a rosette. Morecambe and being fucking happy.

Mike Allison
37 Posted 20/04/2017 at 11:01:09
The OP suggests bringing in 9 players. I disagree. That many in one go creates problems of its own. It's quality we need, not quantity. We have a really big squad, including loaned out, injured and promising young players. Very few of these aren't good enough at all. What we need is three or four 'big' signings to take us to the next level.

I'm talking about proven, established and experienced players who can raise the level of those around them. The effect I'm thinking of is how, when Kompany is missing, the Man City defence looks amateurish; when he plays it isn't just him that looks good, it's the rest of them as well.

Rooney and Sigurdsson fit the bill for me, and I believe we already have the midfielders in Gueye and Schneiderlin, as they are at the age where they're entering their peak, are good enough and still have the hunger to prove something.

That just leaves a centre back (singular). Our defence and defenders now are good, but with a proven leader in there, someone who refuses to concede and lose games, they would all be raised up a level. Unfortunately I don't know who that would be; if I'm fairly sure it isn't Harry Maguire.

I wouldn't go shopping for a goalkeeper. I believe in Joel Robles and he is getting better and better and still has his peak to reach. Only someone exceptional would be worth signing to replace him. I wouldn't include Hart in that (although in part we need to make reputation signings to show we need to be taken seriously) but I would include Butland. Butland's injury makes him an unwise signing this summer though, despite him being back in training.

Plenty of us knew we should have signed Van Dijk from Celtic; now he's probably out of our reach. Same was true of Butland.

Whoever they are, it's three or four of massive quality to improve the first XI that we need, not number-boosting squad fillers.

Roy Steel
38 Posted 20/04/2017 at 20:23:22
I just saw a cameo of Lazette on YouTube, he looks the real deal... anybody agree? And how much would he cost us?
Jack Convery
39 Posted 20/04/2017 at 20:54:08
Given Klopps emphatic dismissal this afternoon of the other lot's non interest in the available Joe Hart, could it be that he knows Hart has agreed to go elsewhere? Is that somewhere Goodison Park next season?
Peter Laing
40 Posted 20/04/2017 at 21:45:58
Spajic for Anderlecht looks a tidy player. 24-year-old Serbian international on loan from Toulouse – €1.5M. There are bargains to be had and hopefully Steve Walsh is looking beyond these shores.
Colin Glassar
41 Posted 22/04/2017 at 20:30:38
Hart, Kompany, Siggurdsson and Rooney. All winners and we could probably get them for under £50m.