Positive but...

by   |   15/06/2017  53 Comments  [Jump to last]

Believe me when I say am over the moon that it looks like we are building a new squad that will hopefully get us in the top 4 but I still have doubts...

Hopefully we will have any transfer money we get in to spend as well but, if we look at the amount we have received for Stones and the amount we actually spent over the last two windows, I don't think he has spent that much in football terms.

Or is it just my glass half-empty?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (53)

Ralph Basnett
1 Posted 16/06/2017 at 07:21:08
Jesus, Peter, we have spent more than we have ever spent, it is only June and it looks like we are going to spend even more and you are still at it!!!

Definitely think your glass is half-empty!

Dermot Byrne
2 Posted 16/06/2017 at 07:25:16
In the end, the source of the money doesn't matter. The key is what we buy and so far like what I am seeing. Gives me the impression we have a plan and are not getting involved in silly bidding wars that happen for the big-name leftovers at the end of the window. Leave that to RS.
Mike Gaynes
3 Posted 16/06/2017 at 07:41:48
Peter, your glass is completely empty and upside down on your head.

This club has already spent 㿞 million and is about to spend 㿀 million more, filling critical needs and improving ourselves significantly... and all in the FIRST WEEK of the window, not the last 30 minutes as usual.

And it's all out-of-pocket, Moshiri's pocket. We didn't wait to sell. There is NO Lukaku money... until there is. So far, we know of no-one who has made an offer for him, or for Barkley. This is commitment. Work getting done and obviously more to come. And yet for a guy who claims to be "over the moon" you sound like a toothache.

You're not the only one for whom pessimism has become ingrained, however. This was the first post on ESPNFC today after the article announcing the Klaasen signing:

William Yeoh:
Good signing but Pickford price slightly steep with one season experience.
What a miss on McGuire as probably pay too much focus on Klaassen n Pickford. I would think he is a steal with 17 mil pound

That's right, this pissant was moaning about missing out on Dump Truck Maguire after we signed two top players.

I said this earlier today on another thread... I swear there are TW Evertonians who would boo a sunset.

Kevin Tully
4 Posted 16/06/2017 at 09:46:09
We are now conducting our business like a proper football club. I think people tend to forget the MO of Kenwright and his 'backers.'

We would wait until the last day of the transfer window so we could save on players' wages. We had to sell before we could buy. We had to shop in the bargain basement for loanees, or unwanted players from big clubs. We had to have the okay off the biggest spiv in London before we could sign anyone – a man who didn't give a flying fuck about the club. We were a laughing stock, make no mistake.

Have things changed? Just a bit!

Brent Stephens
5 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:00:55
"Has Mr Moshiri really spent any money as yet or are we spending the up-coming Lukaku money?" The former is known. The latter is guesswork (to support the "we-always-sell-before-we-spend" view?).

"Or is it just my glass half-empty?"

I think you might have just drained it!

Tony Abrahams
6 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:01:12
Great post, Mike, with Kev just adding the finishing touches. I hope we sign the players we need with the profits from the sale of both Lukaku, and Barkley, because "Money is only good if it is spent wisely".

Imagine signing Niang, Sandro and Keane, for another 㿙 Mil, to go with the 㿞 Million, we have just spent, then selling Lukaku, for 㿼 Mil? If Barkley, goes as well we would be in profit, and could possibly sign another couple of big players, for another 㿞/60 Million, and the club, will have only spent around 㿔 Million, on a major overhaul, especially if Deulofeu goes as well?

As I said, spend the money wisely, and completely change the attitude of our whole club!

Ernie Baywood
7 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:20:43
Understanding how we're funding this little spree needs a much longer term look at our ins and outs. So I won't suddenly proclaim that we're on the up, or back to being the Mersey Millionaires. Of course we might be, it will just take a bit longer before we really know.

What I can say is that we're going out and paying top dollar for exciting young players and doing it very early, giving us time to involve them in our pre-season.

That's great to see, regardless of what happens next.

Liam Reilly
8 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:21:25
The club has never spent close to this kind of money in any period – never mind one day. How can anyone be pessimistic about that?

Doesn't appear to me that there's too many suitors yet for Lukaku at the price demanded from the club. Moshiri is currently speaking loudly with his wallet which means that he is unlikely to bend over to Man Utd or Chelsea when they come calling like the club would have in the past.

Ray Roche
9 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:24:53
Why are people so obsessed about Moshiri spending his "own" money? For once, we are appearing to be run as a proper football club in the 21st century. We have spent money like never before yet STILL there is this doom and gloom hanging over our heads.

How long before the Arteta money gets dragged up or references to Bill looking down the back of his sofa. Let's try and be a bit more positive, eh? Let's enjoy it, I mean, the RS fans are brickin' it, us having money.

Sunset? BOOOOOOOO!! And that goes for yer feckin' sunrise, too.

Brian Williams
10 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:27:59
Remind me never to go on a jolly with you, Peter.
Ernie Baywood
11 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:28:46
I don't know, Ray. I'm sure he's not spending his own money though.
Stu Gore
12 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:41:34
FFP means he is actually limited as to what he can spend. The club can only spend what they bring in less costs and amortisation and all that jazz. I'm my head, we have the TV cash, finch farm sponsorship, and the new Sportpesa deal less the costs to spend. And it won't be the full amount of the latter two as they are multi-year deals so you will only be able to count a proportion. Plus whatever we make selling players less the cost of selling them and their value on the books.

Moshiri can't just give us 𧶀 million as the rules prevent him doing so. Another way to keep the big clubs big.

Brian Furey
13 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:42:59
Do people ever think that we are a lot more appealing to players (and managers) now that we can offer good wages and are a team moving in the right direction again. Before a lot of players who wanted to move clubs would have waited until the last day before committing to us as they wanted to see was there better offers.

Who would have thought that the Ajax captain, who was their 2nd top scorer last year would have been so keen to come to Everton. Moshiri knew paying ٤M for Koeman was a lot but he also knew he would have appeal to players to come play for him.

Pickford will be thinking he wants to become the England No 1 keeper this year for next years world cup so he wants to be playing regular football and a top 7 club with an ambitious manager and owner.

We have already made quite an impression among the football world that we mean business and are not gonna sit around waiting to see what Lukaku and Barkley will do.

Maybe it will help make up the mind of Sandro, who I get the feeling wants to take his time and see if any better offers come along. He should be thinking now, here is a club who have signed the new England No 1 keeper and the Ajax (and maybe Dutch) captain so do I want to be part of this project?

Mike Green
14 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:44:43
Let's say we are spending the Lukaku money, and take a punt that that is c 㿼m. If someone offered me:

Pickford 㿅m (rising to 㿊m etc.)
Klaassen 㿄m (with change)
Sandro ٣m
Keane 㿅m (rising to 㿊m etc)

In exchange, I would bite their hands off.

Dean Adams
15 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:45:34
I thought last week Mr Moshiri cleared the last of the club debt. Is there nothing that pleases some of you!! Two great additions to the playing staff, before July and still the doom merchants are uttering their guff!!
Paul Kelly
16 Posted 16/06/2017 at 10:47:24
Maybe spending the TV money? "On loan from the owner? Or maybe Bill has looked down the back of his sofa (Ray) or we've found the Arteta money (Ray)?

Or we've agreed to sell the mouthy feck? Or maybe, just maybe, don't worry about it, and enjoy the new locker names being printed at Finch Farm (sorry, Niasse, no offence).

But on more pressing and important issues, does anyone know the answer to the next two questions: What has happened with the Sandro deal?

And should footy/footie end in a 'y' or an 'ie',?

ps: The answer is 'y'; no response needed.

Ray Roche
17 Posted 16/06/2017 at 11:36:42
Ernie Baywood (#11),

Ernie, to be fair, I don't give a monkey's where the money comes from providing we're doing things correctly and above board. Be it out of hiss own pocket or due to the fact that the club makes a profit which is then ploughed back into EFC. The fact is he's moving the club forward at a speed we could only dream about two years ago.

Paul (#16).

See above. And let's hope we need to expand the locker room to make sure all the new signings get one.

Peter Rogers
18 Posted 16/06/2017 at 12:34:57
Haha, I should really be more positive but I think it's ingrained in me.

But the point I was making was not because I am not happy but because everyone keeps saying it's Moshiri's money but it's not.

It's more because we are being ran better and if selling Rom and Ross is part of that, great... but it's Everton's money – not Moshiri's.

Erik Dols
19 Posted 16/06/2017 at 12:45:42
Peter, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here in your post #18... It's a bit of a semantic discussion if you call it his money or Everton's money. Even if we sell Lukaku. Moshiri could have sold Lukaku without getting Pickford and Klaassen and just pocket the money. Or throw it towards a new stadium. Or whatever.

Since Moshiri is in practice the owner of Everton (I know, just 49,9% of the shares...) it is not really relevant what you want to call the source of the money.

Kevin Rowlands
20 Posted 16/06/2017 at 12:49:22
Who cares if we are spending the Lukaku money?

In: Klaassen, Pickford, Niang, Sandro, Keane and hopefully a few more.

Out: Lukaku...

Are we a better team with that scenario panning out? Of course we are!

Jay Wood
21 Posted 16/06/2017 at 13:09:59
Peter, your opening post is not even a half-filled glass. You have neither a table to put said glass on, or a chair to sit in to sup said glass's contents.

The chronology of our outgoings and incomings is clearly different from previous years.

In the Premier League era, Everton has never 'gone large' FIRST on purchases without first having sold and put money into the transfer kitty. Our model has long been waiting as late as possible in the transfer window before making any purchase – large, medium, free or loan.

To me, the last 48 hours has shown a quicker, slicker and far more professional approach to our dealings in the market.

We have seen Walsh in Italy pursuing targets. We sent reps to Poland to ensure Pickford underwent a medical and signed. That included a camera crew to record and interview the lad. We transported Klaassen to Finch Farm to again get the deal down and recorded an interview with him.

That is evidence of a team working on deals, not dear ole Bill at the centre of all transactions.

We will only know when the transfer window shuts how the books balance, who has left, who has arrived and whether we are stronger than when the window opened.

Possibly Lukaku and Barkley will both leave and the funds generated by their sale will have largely funded our purchases. Who cares? To me, that shows prudent management. At least we are being pro-active rather than re-active.

And, who knows? The quality of these early signings, the price paid and the earliness of the dealings may also have the following consequences:

● It may make both Lukaku and Barkley sit up and think: "Hang on! Everton is being serious! Something is happening here that may be worth sticking around for and being a part of."

● It flags up to other players the club has targeted the same thing – that Everton is a club on the up and well worth considering as an option.

I agree with Erik Dols. Your concerns are rather semantic. Me? I'll enjoy Everton being right up there as (currently) one of the summer's big spenders.

BTW, Erik. Thanks for your post in the Klaassen thread about how his and Barkley's stats compare. Good read.

Denis Richardson
22 Posted 16/06/2017 at 13:14:32
Fuck me, I knew some TW posters are negative but that has to be the most ridiculous article I've ever read on here. You having a wind-up?

The window hasn't even opened yet and we've already agreed two transfers for 㿞m+! And this without having sold anyone yet. That's already the record for most spent in any Everton transfer window, ever! With more to come.

It's likely we'll have signed 5-6 new players this summer, and all looking like proper first teamers and not the perennial 'one for the future'.

Cheer the fuck up and go out for a walk in the sunshine or whatever takes the grimace off your face. Seems people have gotten so used to moaning that they can't see a good thing when it kicks them up the backside.

Tony Cunningham
23 Posted 16/06/2017 at 13:17:26
Isn't it that, since FFP rules came in, an owner can't just flash his cash around on anyone and everyone? What Moshiri can and has done is sorted out our background financial position. This means we are no longer a club that has to sell first and we therefore have more control over our future than Barclays Bank does.

Also, I suspect that when we have 㿼 + million in the bank from selling Lukaku or whoever then the prices for the players we're looking at will go up accordingly... we may have even got Pickford for less than if we'd bought him in August!

Jim Knightley
24 Posted 16/06/2017 at 13:35:13
It's strange that a team who has an average position in the Premier League of around mid-table, has so many overtly negative fans.

We've just spent big money on two players and it's mid June!! We are linked with a string of others, and have certainly spoken to Sandro, and seemingly Niang (even if most of us do not want him). It does not matter if Lukaku is subsequently sold – we are spending money now, and addressing weaknesses in our squad.

As I said a few days ago, we need to invest in a goalkeeper, a left back, a cb, a creative midfielder, another striker, a Barkley replacement if he leaves, and a Lukaku replacement if he leaves. The importance for us is in buying quality replacements, especially for the first team spots.

If these come in for £130mil, and we sell Barkley and Lukaku for £100mil, then that is great work. So far, we've made 㿀mil plus deals for two important players - Pickford can be our goalie for years to come, and whilst Klaasen is not a truly creative player, he can create and will bring some of the goals we lack from midfield. We've now signed four players for over £20mil in the last year.

I can't see how, realistically, this window could be going any better. Yet there is still such entrenched negativity. This is not the 80s and we are not title contenders – we came seventh last season, and finished in the bottom half in the two seasons before that. Clearly we are ambitious, with a new stadium on the horizon, a new sponsorship deal, and our gross spending surely smashing last season's record gross spend.

We've got a superb manager, a great director of football, and a new owner who won't leave us without a pot to piss in. Can we not just enjoy these buys and this movement, without an incessant shift to negativity?

I've seen a post decrying our two buys and Sandro interest because apparently the teams above us were not interested (when they were). I've seen many talking about a continuation of the Bill era before the window even opened. After confirming two massive buys, we have another post that seems oddly out of sync with the reality of those buys.

This is just energy sapping, and completely unnecessary..

Kieran Kinsella
25 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:02:31
My glass is pretty empty. I'm not sure if what's left is beer or saliva backwash. But even I can see that there's been a change.

Our last four signings cost us over 100 million. That kind of spending sets us apart from WBA and Stoke – the kind of teams we've been shopping in the same stores as for 25 years.

Lukaku may well leave. But that doesn't mean this is all a hoax and we are small time. Even the mighty Barcelona and Real Madrid lose good players for one reason or another.

Ed Fitzgerald
26 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:14:33
I think it's entirely reasonable to have doubts, given the purchases made by Koeman thus far, the mind-numbing football we played for the majority of last season and the fact we are most likely to lose a 20-goal-a-season striker soon – however lazy he is!

It's getting like North Korea on here: dissent will not be tolerated and you must adhere to the groupthink of chairman Ron; otherwise, you are a traitor to the cause.

Paul Thompson
27 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:14:40
Peter – you haven't been going for a pint with Darren Hind have you? It would have to be a pub with no glasses mind you.

I liked this post from The People's Forum earlier today, listing some of the characteristic recent responses from a section of the fanbase:

We don't spend enough
We spend too much
We leave it too late
We're rushing in
I've never heard of him.
If he was any good, the Champions League clubs would snap him up.
If he was any good, Ajax would have beaten Man Utd in that one game I saw him play in.
Therefore, he freezes in big games.
I'd rather we signed Joe Hart, Butland, Schmeichel etc.
Too much for an unproven keeper
He's only 6ft / 5.11 / 6.1
Why hasn't Sandro signed yet?
It's typical Everton
Bill's still in charge so it's going to go wrong

I'm sure this is scratching the surface of some of the corkers on here.

Dave Abrahams
28 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:37:28
Tony (#6), great post about spending. You do know what day it is on Sunday, don't you?
Jay Wood
29 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:44:11
Is that Dave Abrahams @ 28 shamelessly fishing for a birthday pressie on TW...?

Tough one! What d'ya get a centurion who already has everything?!

Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 16/06/2017 at 14:52:56
Kev (#4), amen.

Ray (#9), thanks for my morning laugh. Booing the sunrise now.

Ed (#26), that's just ridiculous. Nobody's accusing anybody of treason... just dereliction of optimism. And in your case, disbelief that you can find reason for pessimism in the "purchases Koeman has made thus far":

Gueye - brilliant
Lookman - brilliant
Schneiderlin - brilliant
Calvert-Lewin - brilliant, especially for ٟ.5 million
Williams - okay
Stekelenburg - okay, especially on a free
Bolasie - To be determined next year

I'd say he's got a pretty terrific batting average so far.

Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 16/06/2017 at 15:04:52
Jay (#30) – Penicillin!!!
Jay Harris
33 Posted 16/06/2017 at 15:42:25
I don't care about the semantics – all I can say is if you cant see the massive improvement in the club since Moshiri came on board you must be blind.

I haven't felt this optimistic for a long time.

New stadium; top class players; winning the Premier League 2; contributing significantly to an England U20 World Cup win; potential Commonwealth Games at our ground... and the media finally taking notice of us.

Ed Fitzgerald
34 Posted 16/06/2017 at 16:01:46
Mike,

I'd admire your gung-ho optimism but I am afraid, having watched all of those players last season, my judgement is far more tentative:

Calvert-Lewin – could become a good Premier League player

Lookman – ditto; £11m for potential?

However time will tell with the youngsters, it's the other purchases I'm calling into question:

Williams – not okay at all; poor investment for £12m.

Stekelenburg – not okay at all; couldn't get a game at Fulham and we spent £1m!

Schneiderlin – brilliant??? I don't think so; he is a good steady Premier League player, as he proved at Southampton – but worth £20m?

Bolasie – £22.5; when people moan about Barkley, Mirallas being inconsistent, they need to speak to Palace fans about Bolasie!

Gueye – a good quality Premier League footballer and a steal at £7m; the only deal I have no doubts over.

Things I don't doubt is we served up some of the most turgid football I've seen by Everton with a manger given more money and resources than any other.

Jay Wood
35 Posted 16/06/2017 at 16:23:51
Dave @ 32.

Penicillin Dave?! Call yerself an Evertonian?!

Where's yer club loyalty?

I thought a decrepit old bugger like you would go for a certain little BLUE tab to – uhm! – 'invigorate' your aching 'bones'.

Dave Abrahams
36 Posted 16/06/2017 at 16:29:02
Jay (35), I don't need it, I'm not that old!!!!
Mike Gaynes
37 Posted 16/06/2017 at 16:45:29
Ed (#34), why are you still on about what our players did at their former clubs? How about what they've done for us?

Couldn't care less whether Stekelenburg got games at Fulham. He was adequate for us, which is all we needed at the time until we could get the keeper we wanted.

And if you really think Schneiderlin is nothing more than a "good steady premiership player as he proved at Southampton"... and he hasn't proven to be far more than that for us... then you and I are on different planets. Brilliant is absolutely the word for him.

Raymond Fox
38 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:05:39
Agree with Ed 26.

It's called 'difference of opinion', guys! What do they say, where all think alike nobody thinks very much.

The club will probably know the position as regards the possible sale of Lukaku and Barkley, we don't.

If Lukaku leaves, that's likely to weaken our team substantially. He's not everyone's cup of tea but he puts the ball in the net 20 times a season and them sort of players don't grow on trees. Are our new signings an improvement on our present players? Marginally at best I'd say, no more.

I think Peter is wise to say lets wait to see how our spending balances up with our income before getting too excited. The club are making more positive decisions since Moshiri came in, but let's see what our team looks like in August before talking about top 4.

Jim Harrison
39 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:07:06
Oh Ed, 34, most turgid football you have seen at Everton? How old are you? 15? You don't remember the Walker, Smith years? Moyes's tenure yielded some pretty dire football at times. Bobby may have added a bit of excitement one season but in the past two there were some dreadful performances.

Koeman isn't perfect, not by a long shot. But he is pragmatic. Given the players he had at his disposal he managed to get us back into Europe at the first attempt. The football was not of the highest calibre, but it was pragmatic. Shore up the defence, keep it simple. Next season, he will have a better squad;, let's see what he can do

Regards the players he signed, Yes Stekelenburg was a disappointment, but I can understand why he was signed. Needed a keeper, he was cheap enough with good experience.

Williams? Funny how people don't rate him. His stats are decent for last year. He played in a make shift defence with kids and a past it Jags for a significant part of the season. So we sold Stones, apparently a Rolls-Royce of a player and replaced him with Williams, less goals conceded.

Bolasie, who knows? But at the point where he got injured his partnership with Rom was just one of the most productive in the Premier League.

The youth players? Not sure if you noticed the role they played in securing England's only significant trophy since 1966. For the future, yes; I reckon the very near future.

Gueye, Fantastic.

Morgan? Instantly improved our team. Jose admitted to regretting selling him. He has the right attitude and next season will be playing in a better team.

Kieran Kinsella
40 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:10:08
Stekelenburg was phenomenal versus Man City.
Mike Gaynes
41 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:20:34
Raymond (#38),

"Are our new signings an improvement on our present players? Marginally at best I'd say, no more."

With regards to one of our new signings, a couple of distinguished gents named Southall and Shilton strongly disagree with you.

Dean Adams
43 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:29:52
It's okay, lads, Ronaldo wants a move from Madrid!!
Tony Abrahams
44 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:35:42
He's not that old, Jay, he just puts years on yer!
Mike Gaynes
45 Posted 16/06/2017 at 17:45:45
Deano, think he would start ahead of Super Kev?
Gareth Clark
46 Posted 16/06/2017 at 18:01:35
Ed (#34)

You're simply delusional...

Stekelenburg – decent
Williams – good, solid season; best centre-back at Everton last season
Gueye – brilliant
Schneiderlin – brilliant, exactly what we were missing
Bolasie – good, great attitude, unlucky injury
Calvert-Lewin – great youngster
Lookman – ditto

John Pierce
47 Posted 16/06/2017 at 18:03:41
Everyone in their Everton lives has been half-empty, I would think! False dawns, and new eras are something we've become accustomed to as bye-words for despair and anger.

Not gonna be hard on the author for that. Me, I'm struggling to get there but things off the pitch in the last 12 months have given me the most to be positive about, the football has be awful to my eye.

Moshiri has definitely looked at the club and started to change the underlying reasons for failure. Debt cleared, some improvement in commercial activity but still way behind others, but overall enhancing the profile and at least starting to grow the brand.

I've no issues with the spree, and yes, there will be duds, but intent is being shown, profile raised and the all important network of agents and players might start to think of Everton as an option. Still think we need someone with more of a reputation than Walsh but that's another conversation.

The money is not an issue. Even our modest player sales will help improve our wage bill. Selling either or both Rom and Ross would make this season the one to go nuts. Personally the strategy would be Ross first, pure profit and Rom next year.

Under FFP Rom would be worth around £7.5m on the books so it would be a huge profit.

Light at the end of the longest of tunnels.

Martin Nicholls
48 Posted 16/06/2017 at 18:07:15
Ed (#34) states that Stekelenburg is not even "okay". Raymond (#38), after opening by saying he agrees with Ed, goes on to express the opinion that our new signings, including Pickford, are "at best a marginal improvement".

How poor do you think Pickford is then Raymond? Does he rank as "okay" with you because, as others have pointed out, big Nev sees him as being a bit better than that!

Jay Wood
49 Posted 16/06/2017 at 21:10:03
Tony @ 44.

Yer better not forget his pressie on Sunday, or never mind that he puts years on yer, he'll be the death of yer!

Steven Jones
50 Posted 16/06/2017 at 21:26:25
Two quality acquisitions – leaders with good attitudes and high levels of talent and, in Davy, great goals and assists record - captain of Ajax at 22!

His vision, pace and accurate movement of the ball at pace, with an engine that sees him cover more ground than any other Ajax player – Dutch international, plays box-to-box, defensive midfield when needed, and as an attacking midfielder .

This is a clear statement to build a high tempo, pressing, fast transition, cutting attacks from deep and clever box play!

Compared to Ross (who I love) there is a clear difference in impact, physicality and creative output in terms of assists and goals. It would be great if we could keep Ross to play along side him and even find a deeper role in that midfield.

Raymond Fox
51 Posted 16/06/2017 at 21:28:56
Martin (#48),

Pickford's 4th pick England keeper at the moment at 23 years of age. I would like to watch him for a few games before being a convert.

Martin Nicholls
52 Posted 16/06/2017 at 22:13:31
Raymond (#51) – agreed but it was you who seemed already to have judged him by indicating that, in your view, he was "at best a marginal improvement" on a player you had agreed (with Ed) to be "less than okay". Let's give these new lads a chance before rushing to judgement, eh?
Phil Bellis
53 Posted 16/06/2017 at 22:34:40
I think we're assembling a team of captains, as in the winning 80s teams... Starting with a vocal goalie, through midfield... Just need an Andy/Sharpy nark up front.
Ian Hollingworth
54 Posted 17/06/2017 at 07:24:40
Morgan Schneiderlin is a fantastic footballer who very rarely gives the ball away. He has been and will be a brilliant signing for Everton FC.

But most of all he along with the 2 new signings are a much needed step up in quality from our usual signings.

I am a typical cynic when it comes to Everton especially regarding Kenwright but there is no doubting things are changing and the quality of players is improving. What more can we ask?

Dave Speed
55 Posted 21/06/2017 at 14:14:18
Mr Moshiri is a businessman. A very rich businessman. He made his money in a very harsh and cut-throat environment (allegedly literally). He is not soft or stupid.

Now to the players coming and going and the money talk. At this point nobody has made a bid for our 2 main assets, Barkley and Lukaku, of course. What if, and it could happen, these two ran down their contracts and left for nothing? Whose money would have been spent so far?

Forget the figures we are demanding. If they go before their contracts are up then we will get a decent fee for them, not the ridiculous figures being thrown around, and let's face it, the figures are most probably paper-talk anyway.

I believe that Mr Moshiri knows what he is doing. He may be taking a gamble with the spending, but what price would we pay for like-for-like replacements for these two anyway, especially if the world knew what we had just got for them?

Look at things another way – when was there ever a time when we could be so indifferent to losing one of our heroes, never mind two, to our rivals? Exactly! This to me shows that even the pessimists and moaners on this site are actually happier, or less miserable, than they used to be!