Coleman signs new 5-year deal

Friday 5 May 2017  37 Comments  [Jump to last]
Contract agreed before injury

Everton have shown their faith in Seamus Coleman's future as he recovers from a horrendous broken leg, with a new 5-year deal agreed.

Everton were keen to tie down one of their star players following persistent speculation of a move to Manchester United in recent years, with this deal finally signed after it was agreed earlier this year.

Even though Coleman will be out of action for most of 2017 after his leg was shattered in a challenge with Wales defender Neil Taylor during a World Cup qualifier in March, the 28-year-old has been given a huge vote of confidence by his club with the new deal.

“I'm delighted to get this signed,” Coleman told Everton TV, “I've been here for a long time and it's a special club that means a lot to me. Everything had been agreed and I was due to sign it after the international break, but unfortunately I got the injury.

“The Chairman messaged me the night of my injury and said, ‘Don't worry about it because when you come back this contract is still waiting for you'. That sums up what the Chairman and this club is all about.

“Farhad Moshiri also sent me cards and said the support was always going to be there. I'm delighted with how the club has handled the situation. Knowing that I was going to come back and sign it has definitely helped things. It's a massive boost and gives me something to fight for.

“I want to prove my worth when I come back and show the club were right for rewarding me with this long-term contract. I'm really excited by the way things are going and the players we have signed.

“This season has been good and we've got Europa League football next season to look forward to. It's exciting and it's all about pushing ourselves. I'm really happy that I am going to be here for the foreseeable future.