Davy Klaassen

by   |   22/08/2017  82 Comments  [Jump to last]

What does this lad Klaassen bring to the team? Honest question; me personally – I have no idea. While the lad is still settling in, new country, new league etc etc, I'm struggling to see... urmmmm, anything to get me excited!!

This lad came with a huge reputation: Ajax captain, Europa League finalist, Dutch International. £24 million price tag on his head, a Number 10 that we was all calling for, someone who would dictate play, someone who could link with the striker, someone who could play them killer passes, someone who will score goals. Have we seen any of that yet?

The big question for me is, is he any better then what we already had? Imo, no. Better then Davies, No. Better then Rooney? No. Better then Sigurdsson? No. Better then Barkley? Hell no. Does Klaassen offer pace? Nope. Hell, for a Dutch International, he seems to have very poor first touch.

It is early days though, so I guess we will have to cut him some slack. However, with every other summer signing, you can see the potential and more importantly the ability. Of course some will say, "Oh, did you see that last-ditch tackle last night, or the runs he makes in the box" as some sort of highlight reel. Dowell shipped off to play in a Championship team is mind-boggling when you consider the ability of both.

The other major issue for me is that, when Koeman made the double change last night, we put our £45 million Number 10 on the wing while our Dutch Naismith gets the Number 10 slot? The whole thing is weird. Someone please tell me Klaassen is going to be a worldie.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (82)

Philip Ashton
1 Posted 22/08/2017 at 17:59:52
Well Peter, thanks for that complete run down on our new signing. Perhaps Mr Walsh could employ you to run the rule over any potential signings, thus saving the club millions and only buying proven talent.

To sum up, two games does not a season make...

Stephen Brown
2 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:14:12
The aforementioned Naismith was a laughing stock for his first 10 games then contributed a great deal over a few seasons!

Others have also had poor starts to their Blues careers Ratcliffe, Watson are two good examples.

Calvert-Lewin was totally written off last season but Motm last night!

I see what you're saying but I'm
Willing to give some time despite the big CV and price tag!

James Hughes
3 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:25:12
Peter I am surprised you have not had a bigger dig at the manager. Same old trite from you.
Colin Glassar
4 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:41:10
Peter, did you miss the last minute save he made last night?

I'm not going to polemicise with you as that is your aim. What I will say is that klassin is a very good footballer with a great football brain. He moves the ball forward and he moves it quickly and accurately and he chips in with goals.

I admit he's looking a bit lost at the moment but give him at least more than two games to judge him.

Mike Green
5 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:45:05
Klaassen's going to be a worldie. There you go.
John Pierce
7 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:50:27
For Klaassen see Pienaar, both schooled in the same way.

Pienaars goal and assists return is much lower than you'd expect, despite the obvious influence he had on the game.

Baines has the most assists for a defender in the PL, Pienaar gave him that ball most of the time.

Those qualities are never on a stat sheet.

If you cannot see that then you may well never will. Good, good player. Worth the patience. Play him in the EL & EFL cup to get confidence and blood him into the EPL more slowly.

Peter Larkin
8 Posted 22/08/2017 at 18:56:19
I don't care what he has done in the past. I'm talking about now, in the Royal Blue. He has had a full pre-season with the squad but still looks 2 yards off the pace.

John, have we seen any of the attributes you state he has? I haven't. I'll tell you another thing – watch that Man City game again. He loses the ball 4 times in a row!! So much for a fast brain, eh?

Kevin Jones
9 Posted 22/08/2017 at 19:07:41
Ridiculous to even be questioning Davy after 5 games. The stick he got on the forum last night was pathetic, I did point out that Siggy didn't exactly set the World on fire when he came on. I know a Heervenan supporter who also goes to Ajax European games, he says he's very good but might take a while to get up to speed.
Gary Willock
10 Posted 22/08/2017 at 19:08:51
I think some 'fans' just can't cope, unless there is someone to single out for abuse. No doubt it'll be Siggy in a few weeks, then maybe a youngster like Tom when he goes through an inevitable bad patch. Still, if it make you feel better, maybe create a whole article so we can magnify it together.
Anthony Hughes
11 Posted 22/08/2017 at 19:10:20
I don't think he's going to be a worldie. He 's a 24 year old international footballer so if he was going to be world class I think he would be by now. Hopefully he slots into our squad and becomes a vital member of a successful team.
Rob Dolby
12 Posted 22/08/2017 at 19:46:20
The lad is trying hard making runs and puts a challenge in. The problem is that he is a not up to the speed of the prem yet. He looked ok against split at home.
He didn't make the subs last night, Koeman's did. As much as I liked Naismith I hope Davy has a touch more quality about his game as Siggy will be the 10 whilst fit.
Chris Watts
14 Posted 22/08/2017 at 19:55:20
He' ll probably turn out to be a very good signing but admittedly hasn't set the world on fire so far. There are pointers thought to the player he will become. Maybe lampard who also didn't have great pace?

Did anyone read Chelsea are after gueye? At least £80m in this market although hopefully they will be told to bog off

Joe McMahon
15 Posted 22/08/2017 at 20:04:43
Premier league takes some adjusting. I'm not 100% convinced, but I suppose we have to give him some time. It even took Dennis Bergkamp time to adjust (and no I'm not comparing the two).

RE - Steven Naismith, he's still at Norwich and struggling to get a game. So no Everton don't want him back. If that's our level what's Lee Trundle doing these days?

Jack Convery
17 Posted 22/08/2017 at 20:44:07
He has a football brain you can see that with some of the simple but effective passes he makes. He was responsible for two of the goals versus split and his interception last night saved a point.

I remember Terry McDermott arriving at the other lot and he was crap. He got left out until he could play the way they did at the time. After that he was sad to say from our point of view - excellent. Klassen seems to me to be trying to hard and coming to terms with the EPL. He has defo been more effective in the Europa League so far. I have no doubts he will score at least 10 goals this season. He's been there and done it, which is what we needed. He is also a leader and we needed plenty of them, As always time will tell. I am convinced he will succeed at Goodison.

Mike Gaynes
18 Posted 22/08/2017 at 20:54:06
Pure malarkey, or rather pure maLarkin.

Never remotely had a "huge" reputation... never considered a "worldie"... most here had barely heard of him. Rep was that of a solid, quality player, hardworking leader, not a superstar, only 14 appearances for Holland in four years, third-best player on Ajax.

Was always going to take time to "bed in" because the Eredivisie is so much softer than the Prem, yet has already shown he can link up and play the great pass... watch the first half of Stoke again, he's critical to both goals and two other great chances. One-touch pass to put Rooney through was elegant. Can't see that "ability"? Head must be firmly up tochus.

And to write such crapola after five games? Pure WUM bait. Dismissed.

Mike Gaynes
19 Posted 22/08/2017 at 20:56:03
Sorry, meant Split not Stoke.
Andy Crooks
20 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:15:24
Mike, since your visit to Goodison you have talked nothing but well argued, pertinent sense. What was done to you?
Mark Daley
21 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:20:03
Nais scored the best hat trick Goodison has seen maybe ever. Remember it?
Gordon Crawford
22 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:25:13
Give the guy a chance. Did he impress when he come on against city, not really. But he made vital interception and tackled back a few times. He has shown though against split and stoke that he has talent and that he is a quick thinker. I think he will be a great signing.
Phil Sammon
23 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:31:38
'Poor first touch'

What?! Are we watching the same guy? He's an excellent one-touch passer.

I don't like to shout down a fellow Blue...but you're just talking absolute rubbish here, Peter.

Sasha Baker
24 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:39:20
Davy Klaassen is a total charlatan! I've joined this forum purely to make this post because his introduction to last nights match shocked me into wondering why the hell was he bought?

The guy has zero quality, he was ambling around the midfield not picking up the tempo of the game and missing nearly every attempted challenge. When on the ball he was poor, his movement looked terrible and so did his touch.

I can't see him playing again for Everton, so Davy if you read this, you best pack your bags or expect an entire season on the bench.

David Pearl
25 Posted 22/08/2017 at 21:46:32
Peter I think you say what you see and what we all can see. But you also concluded he needs time to settle in. He isn't a player that has a big presence on the pitch. His influence we should gauge in a few months. However I'm so sure he will get as much game time if we get another striker in and have Rooney, Sandro and Gilfi behind. We shall see
Tony Abrahams
26 Posted 22/08/2017 at 22:02:11
Looks a very good footballer to me, and one who I would describe as a players, player?

Not the quickest, and not the strongest, in a league were pace and power is king, but given time I'm sure he will adjust, simply because he looks like he really understands the game. Please Give the lad a bit of time?

Kunal Desai
27 Posted 22/08/2017 at 22:52:12
Might take a season for Klaassen to aclimatise to the pace of our league. If I remember correctly didn't Eriksen struggle in his first season at spurs.
Danny Broderick
28 Posted 22/08/2017 at 22:57:01
Xavi and Iniesta did ok by being 'give & go' midfielders, eh? Give the lad a chance!
Frank Wade
29 Posted 22/08/2017 at 23:11:33
Surprised this OP was published as it seems to be inviting criticism of a player purchased for £25m, who is finding his feet in a tough league. John Pierce in #7 above summed him up better than I can: "Klaassen is about the intangibles, speed/weight of pass, one touch, creating space, appreciation for other players and how they receive the ball."

His awareness has been on display in his games so far. Criticism of his touch is weird as he he offers a quick pass when it's on. He sees the full picture.

Assist for Calvert-Lewin v Ruzumberok was perfect. Drew Zouma out of position for Rooney goal v Stoke. Saved a certain goal at the death v City. A couple of nice incisive touches around the box in the Split game. Works hard. And all for £25m.

Tom Bowers
30 Posted 22/08/2017 at 23:17:37
Let's give him some time. Koeman obviously thinks he will be an asset and let's face it the more cover you have in midfield the better as that's where games are one and lost. I remember a certain lad named Kendall who was slow to get going and then later as a manager. Didn't turn out so bad , did he?
Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 23/08/2017 at 00:58:30
Summed it up nicely, Frank #29.

Post #24 . "joined this forum" just for that? Worst debut since Ali Dia.

Andy #20... I think it was the pint at the Winslow. They put something in the Guinness there. Cheers.

Andrew Keatley
32 Posted 23/08/2017 at 01:10:32
I think he's been very disappointing so far.

Early days of course, but I was expecting more from him - and I'd be surprised if even those who are confident he will come good have been entirely satisfied by his first few games for us.

Hopefully he will adjust quickly but if not then I hope Koeman uses him sparingly in difficult games because he offered very little in his half-hour at the Etihad other than a vital last minute interception.

James Watts
33 Posted 23/08/2017 at 01:15:28
Sasha #24. If you joined just to post that, well, you really need to get a life. Maybe a RS wind up merchant? Next time throw in some random criticism of Koeman and you'll be golden with few posters on here in no time.
Jackie Barry
34 Posted 23/08/2017 at 01:20:45
Good player for me but is going to take time to settle. He has been assisting or should we say assisting the goal assister on quite a few occasions. I like his one touch passing, just wish Barkley could have done the same and been a bit quicker upstairs, I see it unlocking many defences once the team gets use to one another. He will also score us goals as well, so very unfair article in my opinion.
Sam Hoare
35 Posted 23/08/2017 at 08:37:49
As others have said there have been plenty of positive signs if not well rounded overall performances from him so far. He's only ever played in the Eredivisie so jury is out whether he can/will ever adjust fully to the PL. I believe he'll prove a good player though not a 'worldie'.

My concern is less about him as an individual and more as our midfield as a whole. It lacks pace and power for the PL. Klassen being played with Rooney, Siggurdsson and Schneiderlin makes for a very slow core; slow to close down and slow to break. Having one or two players who are quick of mind if not of feet is fine but in my view we have too many and that was why we struggled against City's pace merchants when Davvy and Gylfi came on.

Tony Hill
36 Posted 23/08/2017 at 08:51:56
Clever player is Klaassen and will prove a big asset. I also like what he's said about the club since joining and about his position in it.
Kevin Turner
37 Posted 23/08/2017 at 09:03:42
Strooth, give us a break. Instant reaction with instant judgement. Are we forgetting this is a human being, a normal person we are talking about. Someone who has moved job, moved country and all that that entails.

He's probably living out of a suitcase in some city centre hotel away from his family and friends and yet some armchair critic sees fit to condemn him as failure after two, yes two games – one of which he was given a job to do for 30 minutes.

Let's get behind him and look at it again at the end of the season. Problem nowadays is everyone thinks they're an expert.

Dick Fearon
39 Posted 23/08/2017 at 09:28:26
Going by above comments from critics and admirers alike it seems they are describing Klaassan as you would Leon Osman.
Andy Codling
40 Posted 23/08/2017 at 09:42:55
Two league games gone and already some fans have pegged him as a Leon Osman.
DCL and Lookman have also came in for stick as well!!!
I genuinley despair about our fans sometimes, give the lads a chance.
Phil Walling
41 Posted 23/08/2017 at 09:50:44
What's the sin in that ? Leon Osman was a bloody good player in spite of the general view of TWers - many of whom never see a live game !
John Daley
42 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:32:42
"Davy Klaassen is a total charlatan!"

Catchy!

How is Klaassen "a charlatan"?

Has he, personally, ever professed to be something he is not and who exactly is he cheating with his mountebank midfield mannerisms? The club? The manager? The fans?

All the player himself has done up to this point is play his natural game in his native league, catch the eye of the Everton boss (or 'super' scout, or both) and accept the contract offer that subsequently came his way after Ajax agreed to his sale. He hasn't come in shouting from the rooftops about how he'll soon be ripping the Premier League up right from the start and scoring shitloads of goals in an Everton shirt. He's simply gone out and tried to give his best whilst getting to grips with a new country, league, club, manager, teammates, playing style and role.

Although he hasn't exactly shone brightly during this early period of acclimitisation, he's still managed to make significant contribution's in every single game (even against City, where his crucial interception prevented a near certain goal). That Klaassen has been able to do so suggests there are only better things to come from him once settled into his new surroundings and with further first-hand exposure to the frenetic pace of the Premier League. As such, the statement that you "can't see him playing again for Everton" is completely nonsensical.

Like Koeman is going to call time on the Everton career of a player the club have just splashed £24m on? This soon? A player he lavished praise on? A player who he said "I see it as a challenge to make the best use of his abilities" about? After five games? Even 'psychic phenomenon' Clinton Baptiste would be going "Get to fuck" if the spirit world started whispering that one in his bad Barry Venison wigged ear.

Lee Courtliff
43 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:34:02
Osman was wasted out wide for large parts of his career but he was a talented player.

I'm not convinced by Klassen yet and I do have concerns about our lack of midfield pace and a plethora of Number 10's but it's far too early to judge anyone yet.

If we get past Split tomorrow then we've had a pretty good start to the season despite performances not being entirely convincing. I'm more confident now than I was after the Ruzemborg games.

Sam Hoare
44 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:37:23
We could well do with another Leon Osman; someone with deft touch, quick feet around the box, who weighs in with a few goals. Not sure Klaassen has the same ability to beat someone in a tight space but hoping he can pass the ball and see the game well. He may struggle against the faster, stronger teams as showed on Monday night and in the Europa final.
James Stewart
45 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:39:05
As others have mentioned he is a very tidy one touch passer. That said I had hoped he would chip in with goals/assists. Something he was clearly very good at in the Dutch league. I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be that kind of player and I don't think he is a number 10.
Stephen Brown
46 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:53:11
Completely agree with John Daley!

I sometimes wonder what we expect? Let's get behind Klassen and hope he comes good!

Brian Harrison
47 Posted 23/08/2017 at 10:55:04
I think its far to soon to be judging a player, he has come into a new country a new league with players he doesn't know. Quite often players who start brightly sometimes fade just as quick, so lets give him a full season before making snap judgements.

I remember Gary Lineker not scoring in his first few games and people saying he wasn't up to much then proceeded to score 30 league goals.

Andrew Ellams
48 Posted 23/08/2017 at 11:04:52
Some people need a whipping boy to justify their own miserable view on life. All the existing ones are gone, Martina put in a decent shift against Split so let's pick on the new guy, who by the way has made more positive contributions than Sandro Ramirez so far this season so will you all be starting on him next?
John Owens
49 Posted 23/08/2017 at 11:24:46
Usual crap on TW! Players being written off before they've even had chance! I remember the stick Kevin Ratcliffe got when he first came into the team. Didn't Lineker take 6/7 games before he scored! Speedy and Sharpy took stick early onto I seem to recall.

There's lots of new faces give them a chance for gods sake!!

Jim Harrison
50 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:00:50
Talking to a dutch ex pro the other day. He reckons it will take a good while for him to adjust but that when he does he will be quality

Erikssen took a season to fully bed in

Paul Kelly
51 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:06:31
Give the lad a chance, far to soon to be writing him off.

In an ideal world he'd hit the ground running, but some players take longer to bed in than others. Leave the pitchforks at home for a few months yet.

Dick Fearon
52 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:10:31
Only those who had not seen midfielders like the holy trinity or Gabriel or Collins or Stevens and many others of that type would dream of rating Osman so high.
John Otway
53 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:15:33
Well damn your eyes Raheem Sterling! Had it not been for him we wouldn't have to put up with Larkin's utterly negative, cancerous postings as he had promised, on the live forum, to never post on TW again if Everton won!! So damn your eyes Raheem Sterling.
Danny Broderick
54 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:35:58
Klassen joining Everton now is similar to when Sigurdsson joined Spurs. He struggled at first, but eventually found his feet, admittedly at another club, and has now been bought for £45 million as one of the Premier League's top midfielders.

Klassen is stepping up massively by playing in the Premier League now. Give him time to adapt.

Dave Abrahams
55 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:36:13
I think there is a very good footballer in Davy Klaassen, he obviously needs time to adjust to the different pace of the premier league, when he does he will prove his natural ability, already I am impressed by his awareness, his quick football brain which his body will work in tune with if we are patient enough. Come on Mr. Larkin give him time.
Jamie Morgan
56 Posted 23/08/2017 at 12:39:38
John Daley #42... Well said. I agree entirely. Happy to see more blues come out in defence of the lad. Give him time...not stick!
David Graves
57 Posted 23/08/2017 at 13:05:43
He may be brilliant or he may not. Chances are that considering the price tag he might be a decent addition.
But how long has he been playing in the Premier League? Is it about 120 minutes?
I just don't understand how anyone can even consider making such statements about his (perceived) ability after such a short period of time.
It probably took the poster longer to construct this post than Klaassen was actually on the pitch on Monday.
I wonder if he adopts the same knee jerk reaction in other parts of his life?
Does he get up to go before the waiter's brought the bread or does he stomp out of the Cinema before the opening credits have finished?
"Someone tell me he's going to be a worldie"
I doubt if anyone will be so reckless based on what little we have seen of him.
You might want to apply the same rational reasoning.

Colin Glassar
58 Posted 23/08/2017 at 13:10:08
David, there are some who can even spot a dud in the tunnel before a game. Not even Kreskin could do that.
Russell Smith
59 Posted 23/08/2017 at 13:11:07
Posters above saying that Klaassen did nothing once he came on. Tom Davies was equally anonymous before that, he seemed off the pace, taking up poor positions, often running into areas that neither closed down players nor made him available to receive the ball. He was unable to get into the game. Does that make him rubbish too?

Klaassen will eventually come good, and Davies will have better days because both are quality players. It is too early to judge either player. Davies is lauded because he is young and "one of us", Klaassen is ridiculed because he is Dutch and cost £24 million, neither of these polar opposite judgments can really be made until both have played consistently (or otherwise) for a season or two.

I am not wholly convinced on either player but, then again, I watched Kay and Gabriel, the Holy Trinity, Martin Dobson, Reid, Stevens, Sheedy and Bracewell, and none of our current midfield players could truly be classed in the same bracket as these players, and even they had "bad" days. Give our current crop a chance and maybe one or two of them will prove worthy of being included in the really "great" Blues midfielders.

Viv Sharma
60 Posted 23/08/2017 at 13:15:08
Lee Trundle scored 45 goals last season. Sign him up!!

As for Klassen, when Koeman came out and backed him to "cope with the tough physical nature of the Prem" that was a red flag for me. Where there's smoke there's fire!
I'm relieved that people are still optimistic. All I've really seen is a player who loses the ball most of the time.
I get the feeling he was expected to be our David Silva.
Seems like a long way off that to me. I see what he's supposed to be. He's not there yet.

Early days I guess.
Despite my tone I AM rooting for the kid. I see a clever player in there but does he have the mental strength to go through a poor start and keep trying to outsmart the opposition or will he change his game to adapt?
Happy to give him time but sometimes players are just a bad fit for a team/league.
Keane and Pickford (Micheal/Jordan!) have already proved that our transfers this season have been excellent. If one doesn't work, that's forgivable.
As above, I'm sure he'll be an asset in our other competitions even if he's not suited for the Premier.

As a final aside, I haven't wanted a keepers shirt so bad since my all-time hero big Nev! Shame the goalie kits are so damn ugly but the lads going to be a cult icon for many a year!

Andrew Ellams
61 Posted 23/08/2017 at 13:35:22
David Graves, pop onto the live forum on matchday and you'll get an insight into the workings of the author of this piece.
Jay Woods
62 Posted 23/08/2017 at 15:29:08
So far this season he has already looked much better than young Davies. And the whole teams looks "two yards off the pace", not just Klaassen. It's early season, they - like their peers at all the other teams - are not into full stride yet.

Craig Walker
63 Posted 23/08/2017 at 15:29:46
It's very early days but I was expecting so much from him. Having said that, I've lost count of the number of players we have signed who made great starts to their Everton careers but never really lived up to their promise e.g. Newell, Cottee, AJ, Jelavic. He looked off the pace on Monday night but we weren't exactly playing total football through midfield. A lot of hoofball and backs-to-the-wall defending. Really hoping he comes good because we need a lot more craft in our team.
Denis Richardson
65 Posted 23/08/2017 at 23:04:56
We're still in August and unbeaten in our first 5 competitive games, only one goal conceded, 4 wins.

Think we can probably give every squad member a break and enjoy being unbeaten, whilst it lasts. Especially ones who haven't played in the prem before. No?

James Watts
66 Posted 23/08/2017 at 23:41:15
I think Jay sums it up nicely "This article is a load of old tosh from someone who hardly knows what he's talking about.".

Why anyone would want to slate new players, not only to the team but the league as well, so much after a few games is beyond me even for Peter Larkin! Get a grip lad, it's just embarrassing and gives Evertonians a bad name.

Don Alexander
67 Posted 23/08/2017 at 00:20:21
Mr Larkin imperfickly doubts whether Klaassen's better than either Davies or Barkley, as well as Rooney and Sigurdsson.

Well with regard to the first two I'd expect the fee for Davies, should we bizarrely want to dispose of him, to be about what Davy cost us, and that's no slight on Davy. For Ross, sadly, I think we'll get less, probably under the umbrella of the much vaunted "undisclosed fee".

Folks have got to get their head around the idea that a TOP SQUAD needs at least a bench full of players worth tens of millions these days, never mind the eleven selected to play.

We're heading in the right direction.

Victor Yu
68 Posted 24/08/2017 at 05:10:06
Give him a chance.

I remember both Baines and Jags struggled for one full season before finding their feet.

Philip Jeffries
69 Posted 24/08/2017 at 08:46:35
This article is well wide of the mark. We will see the best of Klaassen when we have the no.9 we need. Sigurdsson and Rooney too will be better when there is a big striker taking attention off the attacking midfielders. Klaassen is a clever player who will score heaps of goals for us. His run to create space against Stoke for the goal is exactly why Koeman signed him. 10 games in and with a new striker... then we'll be able to make a better judgement. COYB.
Stan Schofield
70 Posted 24/08/2017 at 13:59:46
It's simple really. Klaassen comes with a reputation of being a player with class. Despite his current acclimatising to the the Premier League, there are signs of that class already. Let's give the lad time.
Amit Vithlani
71 Posted 24/08/2017 at 18:59:30
And for the next post in the series of Prematurely Ejaculated Piffle:

Siggy is unfit to wear the blue jersey based on his Cameo against City.

Ian Hollingworth
72 Posted 25/08/2017 at 06:55:44
Laughable to write him off so early.
Personally I think there is definitely a really good player in there and much better prospect than a lot of players we have bought in seasons gone by.

I can think of loads of players who didn't start too well.
It pays to give players a chance before writing them off completely.
I can only clearly recall 2 players who I made my mind up on the first appearance that they were shite, Niasse and Traore.

Mike Gaynes
73 Posted 25/08/2017 at 22:33:41
Ian... not Kroldrup?

I've heard the oldtimers speak of the legendary Glenn Keeley disaster, but that was before my time.

Steve Ferns
74 Posted 25/08/2017 at 23:02:44
This is the worst post I have ever seen on ToffeeWeb, and that takes some doing. Has this guy ever watched a game of football? Does he know where Davy Klaassen comes from? Has he ever watched Klaassen actually play?

John Pierce at #7 sums Klaassen up perfectly. He is an absolutely brilliant footballer. However, who knows more about football than Cruyff? The dutch legend was perhaps the greatest player of all time and, of all the greats, he's the only one to actually make it as a manager. So what did the great man say about Klaassen back in 2014:

"You must have strong positioning, ability to control the ball at speed and also have the technique to deal with the speed of it [in midfield]. Xavi, Toni Kroos and Davy Klaassen can do it. All three have perfect anticipation and they can play it both left and right excellently. You watch, when Klaassen plays from that position for Ajax, the tempo increases immediately. Moreover, he rarely loses possession."

So the great man rates him up there with the best in the world, but Larkin (achievements in the game unknown) dismisses the Captain of Ajax, who just played in the Europa League final, as crap after just a couple of games. Mr Larkin we need you in recruitment at Everton, you could save us a few quid on players overrated by guys who really know their stuff!

Klaassen will come good. Why is he not blowing you all away now? Because it is too early. It takes time for Klaassen to learn the runs of the forwards, and those around him, to adapt to the speed of the Premier League, the physicality of it, and to adapt to first first taste of life outside his home country. He is only 24 guys, cut the kid some slack.

Klaassen's game is all about one touch football. He has instant control and can find the feet of his teammates. This is not a telepathic ability. Yes he has a fast brain, but it is from repetition in training. He needs to anticipate where a teammate will run, he needs to look around him see who is where and know as they run where they are running to. This takes time. Rooney is truly a world class player, and it is no surprise that Klaassen has linked up so well with him. All of Klaassen's best stuff has come from that combination. That is because Rooney makes clever runs, and Klaassen can spot them. If someone else makes an obvious run and is tracked then Klaassen cannot pass to them. Keeping hold of the ball and slowing down play is the opposite of his game.

Klaassen is the player who will make this Everton team tick. He is the one who will set the tempo. That's what he did for Ajax. But do you guys know what setting the tempo means? This is getting hold of the ball and passing it forwards diagonally first time, and then getting forwards yourself. He si the one who will make everyone else run forwards. But they have to learn this, and he has to learn their runs and their ways.

For Ajax, Klaassen was the no. 8, this is a position behind the striker and behind the no10. We have Sigurdsson to play as the number 10 and so Klaassen will be learning how to play with him and how to link up with him. Expect some lightning passes exchanged between those two and Rooney, if Koeman can figure out where to play them all. If we can have a striker in the side as well then the aforementioned three and the striker, should be able to carve defences apart with some lightning fast one touch passing and then you will say, oh so that's what he does.

The other part of his game, that is far more subtle, is Klaassen is a selfless runner. He will take defenders away from the man on the ball. Even when he knows he will not get the pass, he will keep the defence guessing and needing to cover him. He's done this already to create space for Rooney on a few occasions, and that's with him playing "badly". Just wait until he's up to speed. This boy is the one who will be our play-maker.

David Edwards
75 Posted 25/08/2017 at 23:37:49
Steve - top post! Klaassen just needs to get used to his team mates and the EPL and he will be a truly great link man with vision and touch. For God's sake can we not judge so soon. I've already seen enough good work to be optimistic about the future. With a new target striker, I think we are close to the real deal this season and Davy will play his part. Revisit this post at the end of the season - I'll eat humble pie and expose my lack of judgement then if he fails - but could all the doubters do the same, if Steve and others are proved right?
Andy Walker
76 Posted 25/08/2017 at 23:39:18
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than open it and prove it without doubt.
Andrew Edwards
77 Posted 26/08/2017 at 00:26:39
Remember the greatest Dutchman to play In the Premier League? Bergkamp... slow to start, no goals in first 10-ish matches if I'm correct. He came all right!! Just takes a bit of time. So relax!
John Raftery
78 Posted 26/08/2017 at 10:42:42
Klaassen is not the first foreign or indeed domestic player to struggle at the start of his Premier League career. It takes time to cope with the physical demands, not only of the games themselves but also the intense training schedules. Is it a coincidence that both Sandro and Klaassen are on the injured list so early in the season.

My cousin in Amsterdam told me when we signed him we would need to be patient; he would take time to settle but once he did so, he would prove his worth. From what we have seen Klaassen likes to pass the ball forward quickly. To exploit that ability we will need a striker with pace and goal scoring ability. Who that will be is presumably exercising Walsh and Koeman in the final few days of the transfer window. Well, I hope it is.

Dave Williams
79 Posted 26/08/2017 at 11:06:06
Even the great Howard Kendall took time to fit in as a player and looked a poor buy initially.
As someone posted above he is a young man moved to a new country most likely living in a hotel, doesn't know anyone and trying to settle in to a team which is not yet " fully formed". Give the lad a chance for heavens sake- I don't think I would be working at my best as a 24 year old in a strange country!
He will be much better having a sharp brain like Siggi alongside him. What we really need is a target man up front and sort out the wide positions as that then gives the CMs width to exploit and more space in which to play.
He will be fine and even if he won't it is rather distasteful for an article of this kind to be penned so early in the lads career. We are supposed to be supporters i.e. We support our team and anyone who plays in it- it's for opposing fans to slag off our players,not for us!
Paul Thompson
80 Posted 26/08/2017 at 11:35:11
With the addition of Siggy we now have two midfielders with good first touch who like to move the ball quickly. It's part of Koeman's goal of improving the intensity and tempo of our play (in contrast Barkley tends to slow it down). Siggy, however, is fully attuned to the pace of the PL and has a great engine to get around the pitch. Davy will, as many others have noted, need time to get up to that kind of pace. I'm not entirely sure that with a full complement of midfielders, both will start. Neither is speedy and we still don't have a more creative player who can hold the ball and spray it around, though Rooney does that when he drops deeper. We'll need to experiment with the balance across the mdifield as the season progresses.
Stan Schofield
81 Posted 26/08/2017 at 20:05:52
Steve@74: Great post. I might get criticised for this, but I'll say it anyway. Each time I've watched Klaasen he's reminded me of Alan Ball. Rapid thought, fast short passing, non-stop running (the 'midfield dynamo'), exceptional awareness, great ball control. I'm not saying he's as good as Ball, but he's definitely very good, and just what we need. The effect he has is apparent already, even though he's still acclimatising.
John G Davies
82 Posted 26/08/2017 at 20:17:55
Stan,

Pack it in mate. 👍

Colin Glassar
83 Posted 26/08/2017 at 20:46:39
Klaassen will be our Modric/Ericksen, you'll see.
Si Cooper
84 Posted 26/08/2017 at 22:24:30
I agree that the lad needs time and has shown flashes of what he is all about, but some are stretching the positives a bit too far on the available evidence.
An 'absolutely brilliant footballer', likened to Xavi and Iniesta??? I'm waiting for him to be a lot more proactive in looking for the ball and dictating play before I'll lavish that sort of praise. I think he is improving but there have been times the games have largely passed him by in a way that isn't just down to conditioning.
For his skills and work rate to deliver much he has to be involved a lot more, and some of that will depend on his mentality as much as his physical ability. Not everyone adjusts when plonked down in a new role with great expectation. I know that Ajax are hugely respected but will Davy Klaassen feel like he has been thrust into a higher pressure situation?
Rick Barnes
85 Posted 27/08/2017 at 05:33:17
I like it when a ToffeeWeb post changes my mind. Based on their starts I've been underwhelmed and a bit disappointed with Klaassen and Sigurdsson - I expected to be more impressed. But I'm not about to write them off based solely on a few subpar performances, that would be ridiculous - it's just that my jury is still out on them. I just figure (like all of us) they'll have good days and bad days, good games and poorer ones. So far I feel like their games and contributions haven't been the best - but am hopeful that this will improve and they will get better and better.

But then I read a well written and considered post by Steve Ferns - a post that makes me wonder if perhaps there are promising signs there already that I'm not seeing. Steve's comment about Klaassen anticipating runs, and the reason so far he's clicked with Rooney but not so much with others yet makes me think perhaps Steve is right and there's more to come. So I'll watch for that in future games, and hopefully my opinion of him will be up there with Gana Gueye and Pickford (my two current faves!) by season's end...

Thanks Steve!

Kevin Day
86 Posted 30/08/2017 at 20:39:45
I very rarely post on here anymore. But if I was told I'll be boss of EFC tomorrow, my first job would be to sit the team down, and make it known in no uncertain terms that rule one is .

Stay the fuck of ToffeeWeb.

Nicholas Ryan
87 Posted 17/09/2017 at 01:20:23
Any cricketers out there? If so, do any of you remember Graham Gooch's 1st Test match? A pair of first-ball noughts!

Fast-forward a few years, to his 333 in the 1st innings against India, followed by a century in the 2nd.

Some people just need a bit of time.