What If? Stick or twist?

by   |   27/08/2017  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

Okay, this is slightly provocative, and hypothetical, but going into an international break... why not?

What if Koeman can't get his hundreds of millions of new purchases to gel?

What if we have a new owner who is not a patient man?

What if he looks to change the manager mid-season, as do many of our competitors?

Who is available, and who would you like?

I can't think of anyone better than Koeman at the moment. Do I like his tactics? Sometimes... Do I like the progression that his team is making? Well... kind of, but I would like to see more desire. I am not suggesting we sack him – just wondering what options we have, if Mr Moshiri is a hard-arse, and he seems to be a hard-arse, from an outsider's perspective.

Answers on a postcard, or better still, a post on ToffeeWeb.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 27/08/2017 at 20:04:16
Andy, your question is irrelevant.
Clive Rogers
2 Posted 28/08/2017 at 10:40:34
That is always the danger when sacking a manager. It is difficult to find the right successor from those available, and many times somebody worse is appointed.
Peter Larkin
3 Posted 28/08/2017 at 10:58:15
Most on here know I'm not a fan of Koeman and more and more are starting to see what I saw last season. Even from pre season, this team has no clue how to play football its simply keep it tight lads and lets nick 1. No matter who we play we have at least 1 or 2 players playing in ann unnatural position. How can that be with him blowing over £200 million?

We always have 2 cdms who lets be honest struggle to play a forward pass. Add in 5 defenders and we wonder why we cant get a shot on target!! Then the more baffling thing is he has brought in 3 Number 10s!!! Now I wouldn't have a problem with this but when you consider all three of them are slow and are basically the same type of player – it's madness!! Then our record £45 million man is stuck on the wing!!

Koeman seems to not like pace players or dribblers either. Del boy gone. Lukaku gone. Barkley forced out. Mirallas fell out. We are so slow its untrue. I hate saying it – look at the RedShite yesterday. Fast direct movement pace power all over the pitch we have slow players who struggle to pass or control the football.

Koeman talks about a high pressure aggressive team. He has been saying this from day 1 yet I haven't seen it have you? And hand on heart I haven't seen this team of his play a full 90 minutes yet!!! Its either 1 half decent then second half shite or vise versa. And how many times does he get the tactics wrong from the start then has to change it at halftime?

For me the man is a fraud. Has won nothing as a gaffer in 10 years plays mind numbing defensive shite and has spent more money then all previous managers at Everton!! Koeman out!

Brent Stephens
4 Posted 28/08/2017 at 11:05:04
Interesting question, Andy, but I can't see that happening even during this season. Moshiri appears to have a long-term vision and strategy to match so my hunch is he won't throw any toys out of the pram because of what's happening short-term.
Rob Halligan
5 Posted 28/08/2017 at 11:30:32
Look at it from Koeman's perspective. If the board don't back him in helping him get the striker and left-sided defender he so badly wants by the end of this week, will he walk away from the job?

Highly unlikely, but we have seen it before when Joe Royle wanted to sign Tore Andre Flo, and some other Norwegian player who's name I can't remember, so Royle resigned from the job.

If Moshiri is as ambitious as he makes out to be, then expect a couple of exciting signings in the next five days, or at least a high-profile striker on loan!!

Kevin Tully
6 Posted 28/08/2017 at 15:57:55
I just hope somebody at the club has this the balls to say to Koeman: "You've spent an absolute fortune, I hope that's the last time you go to any ground and set up like a League 2 side hoping for a draw."

I doubt they will, but Koeman needs to realise it's just not good enough - not when he's had £100's of millions.

Paul Holmes
7 Posted 28/08/2017 at 16:04:41
I am as disappointed as all the posters on here,but I will cut Koeman a little bit of slack until we have a full squad to pick from including Coleman and Bolasie. Those two players alone would generate more pace in the team. If we play like that again with a full compliment of players then yes I will be calling for his head.
Danny Broderick
9 Posted 28/08/2017 at 21:36:07
Silly. Stupid. Knee jerk.
Kunal Desai
10 Posted 28/08/2017 at 21:49:15
Has Koeman really had hundreds of millions to spend?? don't think so, in three windows now, its probably a net spend of £65-70 million. That's pittance. Clubs who have finished below us have had a greater net spend over the three windows. Lets not forget the shit Martinez left Koeman with barring Lukaku. We'll probably bring in another 2-3 more players in before the deadline, how about we wait and see where we are come the end of the season. If we have progressed on last season then Koeman should be backed again going into his final season, if not then questions may well need to be raised. Lets cut the man some slack and give him this season.
Charles Barrow
11 Posted 28/08/2017 at 21:53:47
But it's not all about the players he's bought or how much he can spend. The Chelsea game yet again demonstrated he doesn't know what to do with the ones he's got.
Paul Kelly
12 Posted 29/08/2017 at 06:47:28
TWIST!
Andy Osborne
13 Posted 29/08/2017 at 18:00:23
I posted this not to suggest Moshiri sacks Koeman but to consider who would replace him if that happened. I am happy to see how he goes and am happy to follow Moshiri's long-term vision. But I can't think of anyone I would rather have than Koeman right now.

If any of the ToffeeWebbers who want him gone, can suggest a replacement, please do. My opinion is STICK. Although I was disappointed by the lack of spirit vs Chelsea. But it still early days

Brent Stephens
14 Posted 29/08/2017 at 18:03:14
Agree, Andy.
Jay Harris
15 Posted 29/08/2017 at 18:23:46
I think it sums the situation up that nobody has suggested an alternative manager and nobody is happy with our recent performances.

I think it is "Watford" level crazy to even consider a manager change 2 league games in but that is the current vogue.

Nobody has the patience to see the long term.

My feeling is I am really unhappy at the quality of our team and purchases Keane and Pickford excepted but I do feel we overpaid there too and I cannot understand for the life of me why our first priority wasnt to get a Lukaku replacement and by that I mean at least equal if not superior.

You cannot improve without better quality players than the opposition and we pale into insignificance compared to the so called top six.

So therefore the only way to make up the difference is in the management and tactics and currently I would not consider changing Koeman who is at least refreshingly honest and as discontented as we are.

Derek Thomas
16 Posted 29/08/2017 at 23:37:18
Wouldn't be the end of my world, but June should be the first review...

A proper review mind, a basically re-apply for your job one – not just; How's it goin', Ron? Sound Moshiri – anything planned for the summer, I'm off golfing.

Unless it goes all Mike Walker-esque.

Rabbits need to be pulled out of hats smartish... Oh, and the style needs to be sexed up a bit. Not a lot then, but for a 2nd lump of £6M...

Dick Fearon
17 Posted 31/08/2017 at 08:36:32
Koeman should not be allowed as much leeway as Moyes.