A voice from afar...

by   |   21/09/2017  27 Comments  [Jump to last]

After the recent 'lynch mob' vs 'apologists' wrestling match it was reassuring to come across an interview with Blues legend Kevin Sheedy, now working in Saudi Arabia. He explains that he left the Blues on very good terms, had not fallen out with anybody but just wanted to experience life abroad which he had never done as a player.

He also made the following statement throwing his support behind Everton boss Ronald Koeman and his squad to bounce back from a tricky few weeks that has included some heavy defeats and criticism from the club’s supporters.

“It is still very early in the season and you cannot make judgements after a handful of games,” Sheedy stressed. “Everton may have sold a great player in Romelu Lukaku this summer, but I look at the overall squad now and it is the best Everton have had for a long time.

“They have strength in depth in every position and a great manager in Ronald Koeman, who is hugely ambitious and will push the club forward.

“It will not be easy to break into the top six, but I believe Everton have the right manager in place to get to that next level.

“You will get periods where results go against you, but this is a manager with a good track record and, from what I saw working at Everton last season, he will get our club to where we want to be.”

For someone with top-level experience who has worked inside the club for a number of years, that is good enough for me. If we can get some enthusiasm behind the manager and the team over the next few weeks, it will go a long way to rebuilding the confidence and status of the club.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (27)

Danny Broderick
1 Posted 21/09/2017 at 20:13:56
How refreshing to read a positive article about our manager! Lots of common sense in what Sheedy is saying...
Brent Stephens
2 Posted 21/09/2017 at 20:54:09
Interesting read, both in terms of his reasons for leaving and re Koeman and the squad.
John G Davies
3 Posted 21/09/2017 at 20:54:35
Very well said, Sheeds.

From a genius of a player like yourself, that will do me.

Raymond Fox
4 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:04:28
Or you could say, he's not rocking any boats and is telling us what we want to hear.

Similar to the interview of a newly signed player.

Andy Meighan
5 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:06:48
Love Sheeds and probably my favourite ever Everton player but I can't agree with him. We haven't got a great manager at all. In fact, we've got quite an ordinary manager and I don't think for one minute he 'll get the club to where we want to be.

Unless that's the Championship (ahem). Still, I suppose he couldn't really turn round and say "I had iron girder with him and he bombed me out." They have to toe the party line, don't they.

John G Davies
6 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:08:14
Not similar at all, Raymond.

One is a new employee; one is an ex-employee.

Darren Hind
7 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:11:46
Don't think so Raymond

He seems a genuinely nice man. I can remember him saying some very nice things about Martinez too.

James Power
8 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:17:51
A very nice man doesn't rock boats as the people in them may be lost. Sheeds is no Big Nev when it comes to the side of the diploma line he stands on.
John G Davies
9 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:18:20
Raymond.

He was a gentleman when he praised Martinez (it was in Roberto's first season when he had us playing some great football and achieving our record highest Premier League points). He's still a gentleman now.

Raymond Fox
10 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:21:31
Only being old and cynical chaps.
We can only guess at the truth.
Brian Williams
11 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:28:24

At the end of the day, we all believe what we want to.

John G Davies
12 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:30:19
What do you believe Brian.

Sheedy lying, or Sheedy truthful.

Brian Williams
13 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:34:22
John (#12),

John, after the few weeks we've had, I just don't know anymore mate. To be honest, I don't care either as long as we get back to winning ways and see some positivity back. Last few weeks have been murder!

Don Alexander
14 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:34:25
Well, here's a guy who worked with Koeman, extolling confidence in him and, it seems, his methodology. "But what does Kevin Sheedy know?" will be the response, if recent posts are anything to go by, of those who are aghast that Koeman hasn't even looked like blowing away Chelsea, United, Spurs and City in the first five games with a massively new squad that still lacks the centre-forward he and we all said he needed to begin to make us competitive?

And Darren, due respect, you alone sussed Koeman as a duffer from the get-go but I think you'll find Sheedy praised Martinez in his first season before he destroyed what he and we had, leaving it up to our current duffer to improve everything, which he admittedly only did by four places and European qualification with a squad that largely wasn't his own.

Steve Ferns
15 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:36:46
As someone very unhappy with the current situation, I accept what Sheedy is saying.

He's got nothing to gain. If he criticised Ronald, there's no damage to him. Even if it went tits up and he comes home looking for another job, chances are Ronald is gone and he'd get it.

So truthful Sheedy for me. I only question the "track record" part, as that's a matter for debate.

John G Davies
16 Posted 21/09/2017 at 21:38:59
Brian, I hear you mate, I hear you. Little steps hopefully after the Sunderland game.

Don, Very good.

Steve, me too.

Phil Sammon
17 Posted 21/09/2017 at 22:17:34
I like Sheedy. Seems a very genuine man, unlike the hired 'yes' men at the club. Snods and Stuart for example. I'm sure they're decent people, but they don't half talk some shit to try and justify Kenwright's antics.

Maybe Sheedy will be right about Koeman. Personally, I don't see it.

Dave Abrahams
18 Posted 21/09/2017 at 22:22:07
Phil (#17) they all work for the club so will not say anything bad about the club in public. Sharp is another, but they all have a different viewpoint in private.
Tony Abrahams
19 Posted 21/09/2017 at 22:31:33
The master makes the rules for the wise men and the fools! Agree with Phil @17, but isn't this what Kenwright does so well?
Andy Crooks
20 Posted 21/09/2017 at 23:54:55
I don't recall so many entrenched views on this site since the mid to late Moyes era. Every thread sees the same two sides taking to the field. It seems to me to be a mixed bag.

Sorry, Darren for using you as an example but I agree with some of your stuff and am against some of it. It is like being a supporter; I will change my mind and, yes, be fickle.

I will not come on and defend the shite that has been too often served up but it is too soon to fire the coach. It is never going to happen soon.

Jay Harris
21 Posted 22/09/2017 at 02:55:39
Andy,

I don't think any of us are happy with what we're seeing right now, even Sunderland last night, but I think we need to look beyond that and see what answers the manager comes up with until the next window.

To my mind, we needed a total rebuilding exercise from the frail mentality that we witnessed over the last few years and the aging legs of the likes of Barry, Jags and even Baines.

I see us as a work in progress and will not judge the manager just yet.

Peter Barry
22 Posted 22/09/2017 at 04:35:38
For how many years do we get told we have the 'best squad in years' before this pathetic cliche is eradicated from Toffee Web forever???
Brian Murray
23 Posted 22/09/2017 at 05:59:58
Call it naive but you honestly thought there is a big World out stretching not just as far as Cheshire (Rooney) or safe bet Holland (Klaassen) but that the next Ivory Coast Drogba or the next forlorn Juve winger Henry.

Maybe this new marvellous scout has no atlas and wears blinkers. There again, he fits in nicely with the whole club really. Oh and Sheeds was a great player but in the Jags mould. Nice guy but never a leader of men.

Brian Murray
24 Posted 22/09/2017 at 07:38:29
Oh and Koeman talks of ambition but you need belief combined with it, which is something he patently does not have about himself or his players. The only way out of this is to play them in their proper positions and ditch Cheshire's golden boy. Play Kenny, Davies, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate.

If he does that, we will go to Anfield and laugh at their Gerry Marsden bullshit song before kick-off then overwhelm them bigtime. No fear... be proud, or do one, Ron.

Martin Nicholls
25 Posted 22/09/2017 at 09:58:27
Like every Evertonian, I loved Sheedy as a player and (probably!) for that reason I respect his views now. That said, I have to take issue with his claim that we "have strength in depth in every position". Really Kevin? Striker, left back?
Peter Gorman
26 Posted 23/09/2017 at 11:07:03
"Gotta laugh. People who have one agenda say, "He's just being PC and toeing the Company line" while those with an opposing point of view say "There you go, that's the truth then."

Exactly right Brian – opinions are like arseholes, everybody has got one and Sheeds is entitled to his.

I know us mere TW peasants are supposed to doff our caps at the 'football' men when they express theirs but I remember Koeman is a football man, Martinez is a football man, and even Robbie Savage is a football man so I go with my own gut and brains (conveniently co-located) more often than not.

Alan J Thompson
27 Posted 26/09/2017 at 08:43:36
If he's a gentleman then he won't be burning his bridges.