Be bold. Try this out

by   |   06/10/2017  20 Comments  [Jump to last]

I've been a Toffee fan since the 1970s and I dare say this current team has got talent. The problem with people nowadays is we expect instant results. 11 players assembled in less than 2 months are expected to play like Barcelona – fluid soccer with perfect understanding.

And look at our fixtures! Someone out there is trying to sabotage Koeman with such horrendous fixtures. And the next few games aren't any better. Go take a good look.

Give Koeman more time, I say. Even one full season if we must. Have faith in this man who, given a full 100 percent no injury squad, will unleash the best Everton team.

Let's forget about getting a main striker for now. Let's support the team in this difficult moments. They know they have to produce results. Booing them doesn't help at all.

Laugh if you must at my first 11 choice. Based on a jam pack midfield crew, I will go for this formation and players to play. 1-2-3-3-1 formation. Last man- Keane, the 2 in front of him, Gueye and Schneiderlin, the next 3 being Baines, Sigurdsson and Davies, the next 3 being Lookman, Calvert-Lewin and Rooney, and striker Oumar. Based on current form, goalkeeper Pickford.

I can't imagine if we have a full squad with zero injuries. And please keep Barkley if we can. Koeman, try this out!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (20)

Lawrence Green
1 Posted 08/10/2017 at 20:56:15
Nizam I admire your belief in the manager and the players and if it were only a matter of us as supporters getting behind both we would be well on our way to good results and better football.

The fan bashing is getting to extreme proportions and I would love to see which set of fans apart from Evertonians who would have put up with some of the stuff we have been served up not just this season or last but for the majority of the last couple of decades.

Save a brief period circa 2007 - 2009 we have been witness to a succession of dire, defensive rubbish and even with Lukaku in the team we still couldn't say that we had been richly entertained for most of the time he was with us.

This season due in part to the new owners growing influence and a 'spending spree' saw the Evertonians daring to dream (again) but what we have seen in a dozen or so competitive matches is a disjointed, mess of a team with performances which are way below par from almost the entire playing squad.

It might come good it might not but having a full complement of players may well result in yet more confusion from Ronald as he tries and fails to find the right blend. If he stays the full season I hope that Ronald does find the correct formation and Everton are playing reasonable football and winning more often than they are now - but my inner Evertonian keeps telling me it won't happen - not very logical I know but it will take some unbelievable turn around in form, both individually and collectively, for that nagging doubt to be quelled.

Everton don't have to play like Barca to change my mind they just have to look as if they know what they are doing and display some courage and heart - if they do that the results will improve and I will be happy.

John Daley
2 Posted 08/10/2017 at 20:59:13
So, "someone out there is trying to sabotage Koeman", and you suggest, in order to save himself, he should go with one at the back?

Nice try Nizam, but I don't think Grima Wormtongue's got anything to worry about.

Mark Murphy
3 Posted 08/10/2017 at 21:30:45
F@ck!
I asked my vets team to go 4-3-3 this morning instead of the usual 4-4-2 and you'd think I'd asked them to project an eliptical orbit of Saturn!
1-2-3-3-1 would blow their Neanderthal minds!!
Andy Crooks
4 Posted 08/10/2017 at 21:38:54
Nizam, we are going to play them all... twice! We are utterly shite, bereft of ideas, frightened, spineless, negative, and, right now, in my view, the worst team in the premier league. Martinez was/ is, in my opinion the worst man ever to be paid to coach a football team. Koeman is capable of being up there with him. He has it in him to relegate us.
I will happily admit I was totally wrong about him. I thought he needed time. I thought there were many knee jerk reactions. How wrong can a man be. He will relegate us.

Alan J Thompson
5 Posted 09/10/2017 at 06:48:51
!-2,1-2-3, too.

Let's go total football, the Dutch way. All attack followed by all defend and while attacking leave only the keeper and a whippet in our half.

Ever get the feeling that we all feel anything would be better than the 6 Million Pound Man is putting out.

Mike Allison
6 Posted 09/10/2017 at 21:50:00
How about we try and score when we've got the ball and try and get it back when we haven't?
Tony Heron
7 Posted 10/10/2017 at 12:31:09
Mike @ 6. Come on, mate, that kind of football went out years ago! The games all about getting 2000 passes in and each player running 100 miles, sorry it's kilometres now isn't it.

This idea of goals as well is just ridiculous and as for winning the ball back, that would involve... er, dare I say it – yes, a tackle (shudders).

David McMullen
8 Posted 10/10/2017 at 14:56:59
No one expects us to play like Barcelona and have instant results. I think we also have to be honest we are team in transition. But there are a several question marks over us right now. For one why play Sigurdsson out wide?
For me I have no clue about what our style of play is and I have no clue why a team full of captains are not geeing up everyone getting a bit of passion.

We have had a tough start but as it was clearly highlighted after the Burnley defeat they have played Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool and us away and had 2 wins and 2 draws. They have a steady team and steady manager but even so!

Don Alexander
9 Posted 10/10/2017 at 16:29:37
No other team in the Premier League left their manager to cope without one single first-team recognised centre-forward. Palace came nearest and have lost Benteke to injury. Their performances and results show the effect such a wanton absence of a fully-fledged centre-forward can have. Just like previous seasons with Lukaku the ball is not retained amid the opposition defence, our midfield cannot take a higher line and nor can our defence. We therefore by default invite the opposition to attack, attack, attack.

Why we signed Rooney was and remains a mystery to me. For all his talent he's clearly unable to play for much more than one half and his contributions seem to me to get in the way of various others who, less naturally talented as they may be (Sigurdsson and Klaassen), we're going to have to hope come good in the short-term. Finding room for a less-than-ninety player is just crackers to me.

If Koeman is responsible for the centre-forward signing failure he deserves the boot. If it wasn't him he deserves time to find a way to organise a team devoid of what every opponent has, but I sure as hell wish he'd shown by now some visible idea of what that is.

Jamie Morgan
10 Posted 10/10/2017 at 16:42:28
I was sort of with you for a second... Now, I just want some of whatever it is you're drinking, me old chum!!
Dave Wilson
11 Posted 10/10/2017 at 16:46:30
Don,

Managers have been losing goal scorers since forever. If you don't replace one you sell, you have to alter your style.

Everton won the title after selling Lineker. Man Utd won the title after selling Ronaldo, Chelsea won the title after selling Drogba. I even think RS won the champions league after selling Owen.

Like so many other teams down the years, they simply changed style and adapted. We need to stop blaming the departure of Lukaku for everything that is wrong. If the departure of one man can disrupt the club so badly, there is something very badly amiss.

One of the oldest sayings in football is "we go with what we got". There's no point in agonizing over what we haven't got

Don Alexander
12 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:16:09
Dave, those teams obviously had top-notch strikers left even after those individuals left them, and from what I can recall bought others to supplement their squad.

Put it another way, which team(s) have ever got to top four without even one experienced, reasonably prolific goal-scoring centre-forward? I only ask because the much-vaunted three year project entails finishing top four minimum.

Our signing failure(s) renders so many team set-ups pointless in terms of expectation as well as results against very many better-run clubs. In short we've had the middle season of the project chopped off at the knees for all of us before it even began, and it's all down to senior staff at Goodison. A sacking is well deserved for that, but if Koeman played no part in the fiasco, why should it be him?

Name any other manager with a track-record of achieving even top-six with a team as devoid of potency or ball retention up-front as we are and I too will get on the "It's-All-Koeman's-Fault" band-wagon, but I fear it's not that simple unfortunately.

Darren Hind
13 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:24:33
Agreed.

All this bleating about not replacing Lukaku doesn't change a thing. The manager hasn't just found out hours before each match that he is not available... So why do we still play the same game? FFS recognise it and adapt.

Koeman's repertoire:

Plan A) Painfully slow predictable build-up. No adventure, Nobody breaks ranks.

Plan B) Painfully slow predictable build-up. No adventure. Nobody breaks ranks.

Plan C) Painfully slow predictable build-up. No adventure. Nobody breaks ranks.

Darren Hind
14 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:30:10
"Which team(s) ever got top four without even one experienced, reasonably prolific goal-scoring centre-forward?"

Are you really asking that on an Everton Website?

Andy Crooks
15 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:30:49
Darren, there is a Plan D. After the game Koeman berates the players for not pressing enough. Then, next game, we try plans A B and C again., etc, etc.
Dermot Byrne
16 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:37:08
I think the slowness of the team is linked to the fear. Why Everton teams recently are so fearful is beyond me but just one loss or even one goal and they collapse. Or if they go ahead they rarely press that that advantage.

I have posted often about the Baines check back and how is drives me nuts and, to me, seems to sum up the spinelessness (a word?) of the players. All the manager(s)? Sure some of the reason but not all methinks. I also think it may be the "important" nice guys like Baines and Jags.

Dermot Byrne
17 Posted 10/10/2017 at 18:41:12
Source of the fear, Andy? Who knows but it was there with Martinez and some of Moyes's time.
Eddie Dunn
18 Posted 10/10/2017 at 19:13:17
Baines has been putting the brakes on and passing inside or backwards for long before Koeman arrived.
Dermot Byrne
19 Posted 10/10/2017 at 19:25:32
Maybe... and perhaps the Pienaar partnership colours my view.
Paul Kelly
20 Posted 11/10/2017 at 13:10:12
I'd love to see that team line-up play, could imagine I'd scratch all skin from my face with amazingly short nails by half-time, but fook it, could it get any worse???