Has there ever been a worse time to be an Evertonian?

by   |   22/10/2017  15 Comments  [Jump to last]

Back in 1998, Colin Shindler, a Man. City fan , wrote a brilliant book entitled “Manchester United ruined my life.” Right now, I really wish I could publish the same about Everton, except I won’t be blaming another team, I would just be directing all my ire at Everton.
Here’s my catalogue of reasons why I think now is the worst time ever to have been an Everton fan.

1. Bill Kenwright. He has been the owner since 1999. Many considered him to have gone when the Fairy Godmother Moshiri arrived on the scene last year. As we now know, Moshiri was only ever brought in to prolong Kenwright’s stay. Everton won’t win anything until Kenwright leaves and he probably won’t leave until he’s in a box.
  2. Ronald Koeman – he may well have finally been sacked by the time this article is published. An awful manager with a bad track record but our owners clearly don’t believe in due diligence. As the previous appointment also proved.
  3. Steve Walsh – what does he do? Answers on a postcard. When was the last time the club bought a player who represented value for money? Tim Cahill?
  4. Funny business- the club seem to exercise great sway over the media. For the last two seasons, the media, last summer it was the Daily Express and this year, the Mail, have run stories about Everton having a £100m warchest. Why do the media constantly put out stories about Everton’s £150m spending spree, when what was meant to happen very clearly was that the books were meant to have been balanced?
  5. Ok , we know that Lukaku was always going to be sold but why does the club continue to sell off all of the assets? Deulofeu is good enough to play for Barca but not us- how? Why was Koeman desperate to sell Barkley? I know for a fact that the player didn’t want to go got Chelsea.
  6. Finally, only in the realm of PR and spin do the club excel themselves. The club have convinced the media that we have a new ground on the way. Precedence suggests that there is no new ground. I feel a bit like one of the first people to realise the earth is around. Everyone else will catch on eventually.

There is nothing good about the club. In the dark days of being in the Second Division, the fans could dream of promotion. We have nothing. In the next few days the club will fire Koeman and probably replace him with Sam Allardyce. Why? Because the only thing that the Kenwrights care about is money and Allardyce’s track record will probably ensure we stay up. And so, the cycle continues. Sadly, at the age of 58, and over 50 years since my first visit to Goodison, I have given up. Everton haven’t quite ruined my life but they have done me no favours.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (15)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 23/10/2017 at 08:54:45
No, well not since the last time we were utterly shite...and the time before that...and back to when we still had cushions to Indicate it...and beyond.

It's hard to quantify, I mean we haven't had the airborne banners or the BU march, or maybe we're more apathetic now.

Tony Hill
2 Posted 23/10/2017 at 09:04:55
It's as dark a time as I can remember because we have no spirit and there is an air of inevitability about the whole thing. We can turn it around but it requires swift and radical action.

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 23/10/2017 at 09:17:09
It’s worse than the Walter Smith days, when Watson, was getting used as a centre-forward, or when he decided to play like Wimbledon, with Ferguson and Campbell upfront.

Most people would say we could do with either of those two now, but I’m talking about the manager and the complete lack of organisation, right now.

Smith went direct, but never got his midfielders, pushing up the pitch to compete for second balls, and Koeman, talked about us playing more direct, played three at the back, but his team never squeezed the pitch once?

It’s the worse I’ve ever felt right now though because this manager, has already been in the job, at least a month too long, and it’s so painful, waiting for the end.

Dennis Stevens
4 Posted 23/10/2017 at 09:25:39
Jonathan, I think you're confusing Barkley with Elvis Costello!
Colin Gee
6 Posted 23/10/2017 at 12:37:55
Has there been a worse time to be an Evertonian?

Yes, the year the RS did the double and we finished second in the League and they beat us in the Cup Final

Phil Gardner
8 Posted 23/10/2017 at 15:08:33
Only when Kenwright goes will this club have any chance of moving forward. He's an utter embarrassment.
John Dyer
9 Posted 24/10/2017 at 01:11:41
I feel sorry that Koeman has gone but it was always going to happen with the run of results. We need someone experienced now as we have brilliant players but no direction. I would like to see Marco Silva – good motivator and tactically good. He likes his teams to press and loves wing play!!!
John Maxwell
10 Posted 24/10/2017 at 11:37:27
Surely its been worse than this?

The Harvey era went from Champions to relegation candidates in 5 years.

The 90s apart from the FA Cup win were awful, Coventry 4-1 away in the league cup was terrible, two relegation battles although great outcomes, too many games to mention with nothing to get excited about . we are a long way away from those days.

Football supporters have a short memory.

Lets be fair, things have generally been quite bad since we won the league, lots of false dawns, quality players leaving for money clubs... Lescott, Arteta, Rooney, Stones, Lukaku to name a few.

Things havent clicked yet but we have a wealthy owner, a new stadium planned on the banks or royal blue mersey, things are looking up for us.

Its going to take a few transfer windows to fix this and god knows what manager can get us up the table, tough one that one.

We must of the most patient loyal supporters in the land, packed away ends every away game.

Just need someone to ignite this great club again, this club in full flow challenging for titles is someone to behold

The supporters deserve more.

Pete Clarke
11 Posted 24/10/2017 at 11:56:33
There probably has been many worse times but the most recent sits perfectly at the front.
I do recall however, being in the park end stand with the redshites ( last minute ticket in ) and them singing 1 2, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 4, 5 nil and I couldn't even get out. Then Losing my rag with sa few of them on the 44d on the way home.
Worse times indeed but not long after we were given some Oxygen.
Ray Roche
12 Posted 24/10/2017 at 12:01:33
"As we now know, Moshiri was only ever brought in to prolong Kenwright’s stay. "

Do we? Were was that printed? I must have missed it. So, Moshiri's Bill's puppet then?

"When was the last time the club bought a player who represented value for money? Tim Cahill?"

Arteta, Coleman, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Pienaar,Lukaku, (especially if you look at the sell on value for Lescott and Lukaku), Distin, that's without resorting to Google, and all bought after Cahill.
Jonathan, always a good idea to think things through before writing. All those players were bought for comparatively little money. All were sold at huge profits, left after sterling service (Distin)or are still with us.

And if you think this season will turn out as bad as the Wimbledon or Coventry season then you need to giver your head a wobble.

Bobby Thomas
13 Posted 24/10/2017 at 18:39:15
Tranmere at home. Its been worse than this, much worse. On several occasions in my lifetime, unfortunately.
John Smith
14 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:26:21
"Deulofeu is good enough to play for Barca but not us- how?

Because Deulofeu isn't good enough to play for Barca.

John McFarlane
15 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:32:30
The answer to your question Jonathan is yes, and it lasted from May 5th 1951 until April 29th 1954. I
must however say that the current situation is extremely depressing, even allowing for the many and varied, disappointments we have experienced since then. At the age of 79, I find it just as hard to handle as I did at the age of 12 [approaching 13]. I take comfort from the fact that we have 29 league games to retain our position in the top flight. [Keep the faith]
Jer Kiernan
17 Posted 26/10/2017 at 08:55:03
@Dennis #4
Nice one, and although a long suffering Evertonian (35years) the articles sums up a bit how I feel right now but your quip also shows the otherside of this thing we do, the ability to have a laugh also at otherwise depressing situation ,,
Harry Catterall
18 Posted 23/11/2017 at 21:01:19
What happened to Carlo Ancellotti? Everyone said he was coming, drawn by big money.

Tony Pulis could do it – keep us in this league.

I reckon Unsy will be kept on. The pressure of a relegation fight could ruin him.

Offer Pulis a few quid over the odds and go for a manager like Pep Guardiola in six months, drawn by big money.