#BringBackBarkley

by   |   22/10/2017  20 Comments  [Jump to last]

I know he's injured and he (apparently) wants out, and I don't know how much Koeman has to do with it... but anyone remember how Thomas Gravesen stepped up when he was looking for a transfer?

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd at this put I'd rather have Ross over Sig or Klaassen (wast of money if you ask me!)

Cue: Discussion

Also - Koeman.. Play with some bloody wingers will ya!! (Real wingers not makeshift No.10 or midfielders in wide areas)

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (20)

Robert Leigh
1 Posted 23/10/2017 at 08:15:48
Yes please - a midfield with Ross and Davies looks much better than the current one.
Derek Thomas
2 Posted 23/10/2017 at 08:46:50
Beware viewing Barkley through despair tinted glasses.
Stan Schofield
4 Posted 23/10/2017 at 10:24:39
There's little point in bringing back Barkley unless the management of the team changes. It's a management problem, and when that problem is solved we can start talking about individual players like Barkley. Similar applies to the issue of bringing under-23 players into the first team: There's little point until the management changes.
Christine Foster
5 Posted 23/10/2017 at 11:57:48
I said long ago that the dispute regarding Barkley's contract was more about the way he had been treated rather than money. I believe it even more so now, and I look forward to seeing Ross playing in the midfield again when he is fit. Of course he will sign a new contract, as soon as we have a new manager.
Tony Marsh
6 Posted 23/10/2017 at 12:01:31
If I was Barkley I wouldn't have anything to do with this current set up.Why would he? Why lower his stock when he can go on a free in ,6 months and pocket a fortune.Dont cling to false hope guys.
William Cartwright
7 Posted 23/10/2017 at 14:56:21
Might have a change of heart if the successor to Goneman is a positive move?
Dave Ganley
8 Posted 23/10/2017 at 15:20:38
See Derek Thomas post, spot on. Doesn't matter how he's treated the end result is the same. Martinez lauded him and he still failed to deliver on a regular basis. I wish he would have been the player we wanted him to be but he isn't. You look to your big players to deliver when it really mattered and unfortunately Ross never did. On top of that he spat his toys out of the pram when Koeman had words of criticism for him and decided we, the fans didn't matter and he was off. No heart no fight.
Anthony Dwyer
9 Posted 23/10/2017 at 20:05:45
Failed to deliver ?

We've spent how much on Rooney, Sigardson, Klassen and Vlasic and none of them have the goals and assists Ross has.

Play him centre mid with Gana or Schneiderlin and build the team around him.

That's if he signs a deal like !

Dave Ganley
10 Posted 23/10/2017 at 20:30:29
Just because the current lot aren't delivering doesn't make Barkley good Anthony
James McPherson
11 Posted 23/10/2017 at 20:48:37
Christine (5), can you definitively state the reasons why Barkley wants to go? My understanding which is in the public domain, is that the club offered him an extremely lucrative contract and wanted him to stay. They gave him a whole season to agree and sign. They were transparent and said that he was to sign before the season closed. With advice from his agent he declined that offer and wants to play elsewhere. That's him gone in my mind. Even if the reasons you state wee substantiated, allowing players to dictate who manages EFC is the thin end of the wedge. If a player wants to go for the reasons you say then that's his entitlement. But having made his decision to leave EFC that's that.
Christine Foster
12 Posted 23/10/2017 at 21:45:19
James, all of the above is in the public domain but I would disagree with your viewpoint and in light of todays departure, I would like to think he would review the situation. It is well known that senior players at Finch farm were unhappy with Koeman and it is also in the public domain regarding the many public utterances by Koeman (only) regarding Barkley essentially pushing him out the door.
"Even if the reasons you state wee substantiated, allowing players to dictate who manages EFC is the thin end of the wedge"
Really? Barkley hasn't done anything of the sort, and the rest of the squad being unhappy? The treatment of other players by Koeman.. ?
Do you really think its only the results that lost him his job?

Fresh slate.. perhaps we can get players wanting to play for the club and a manager who can inspire others, for a change.

Bill Gienapp
13 Posted 24/10/2017 at 02:47:23
I mean... Ross scored five goals all of last season. Rooney already has four. Just saying.

I have no problem bringing Ross back into the fold if he wants to stay, but, as I've argued many times, Koeman was extra hard on him because he needed to see if he could elevate his game and *be* the sort of player you build the entire club around. Frankly, the results weren't particularly encouraging.

Christine Foster
14 Posted 24/10/2017 at 18:59:53
Bill, Koeman brought in 3 No10s to replace him and not one of them pass mustard. Waste of money and talent if he goes
Paul Tran
15 Posted 24/10/2017 at 19:10:46
Well, if was only Big Bad Koeman that was the reason for Poor Liddle Ross not signing a contract, we'll soon find out, won't we?
Geoff Evans
16 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:25:06
Barkley should do a Koeman and fuck off.
James McPherson
17 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:21:42
He did not do it consistently when he was stroked, he did not do it when cajoled, he did not do it full stop. He wants out. He can go.
Bobby Thomas
18 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:29:39
Ive never been convinced by Barkley and have stated so on here so I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

However at this point, after all the change and the flux, it's time for lads to play who know the drill, and know about playing for Everton.

Id get Mirallas and Barkley back in the side. And if we can get Barkley back in we should.

Mike Dolan
19 Posted 26/10/2017 at 01:41:45
Ross Barkley was the one player that improved his game last season. I think because of his horrific you always have to lop off 2 years from Ross's footballing age. He is a world class player that just needs handling right. Ross, Sigurdsson ,and Davies and Schniederlin Beni, Walsh and Gana should cover the midfield. But Ross has to be shown some love.
Alastair Kelly
20 Posted 28/10/2017 at 07:07:32
I think it's unfair to keep on hammering Ross on 'consistency'. We've been a very inconsistent team during his formative years and in any case you won't get consistency from young players. Having said that he still has a damn good record of goals/assists/passes despite the 'inconsistency'of his.selection. Best young English player. Hope we don't seem him leave and flourish elsewhere as he undoubtedly will. Agree on centre mid position for him alongside Gueye or McCarthy.
Tom Bowers
22 Posted 08/11/2017 at 17:38:45
The way the team has performed this season, if Ross had been playing I am sure he would have been a big target of criticism for many fans.
We all know the transfer speculation and his general unrest would not have helped his cause under Koeman but the lad is still here and he is on his day a tremendous player with an eye for goal , something sorely missing in the team up to now.
When he is fit I hope he can find a way back into the team under Unsy or whomever sooner than later to prove the naysayers wrong if he can.