The Candidates

by   |   24/10/2017  47 Comments  [Jump to last]

David Unsworth has been handed the reins on a temporary basis and could yet earn the gig on a permanent basis if he sparks an instant turnaround in Everton's fortunes but the media will crack on with speculation over the Blues' new boss regardless.

Here is a list of the candidates already mentioned or who are listed by oddsmakers as potential choices. What are your thoughts? Who would you like to see approached and why? And who do you think should definitely not be considered and why not? Any more names we've left out?

• Sam Allardyce
  • Louis van Gaal
  • David Wagner

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (47)

Bill Gienapp
1 Posted 24/10/2017 at 20:24:35
Louis van Gaal! Ha ha - sure. Get him in fast enough and the players won't even realize there's been a regime change.
Mark Tanton
2 Posted 24/10/2017 at 20:32:29
Silva all day long. Shame the timing's all wrong.
Steve Mink
3 Posted 24/10/2017 at 20:40:33
On basis you are looking for someone with a track record and proven pedigree as a tactician and coach, the two names that stand out from that list are Benitez and Silva (though as said above the timing doesn't work). I like Sean Dyche but would be a risky one.
Kevin Tully
4 Posted 24/10/2017 at 20:41:48
It's a concern that any job at a major club is like a lottery win, even if unsuccessful. To think we've probably paid the last two managers somewhere close to £20m is incredible, especially as they both broke Everton!

The players will still be paid their wages, whether they deliver on the pitch or not. It's a tough one this time around, as there are no stand out candidates for me, they all have a downside.

My main hope is we employ someone who can go toe to toe with any side in this League, the talent should be in place after spending north of £200m, but there's no belief, and there hasn't been any for 20 years.

Dennis Stevens
5 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:24:59
I'm happy to give it to Unsworth for a good while, at least. However, I think that if he's given a decent crack at the job he'll make it his own. The additional benefit is that, for Unsworth, it won't just be a short term "project" - we could well have him in the job for many years.
Clive Rogers
6 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:28:33
How come Barry Fry is not on the list?
Colin Glassar
7 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:32:32
What about joe kinnear? I almost choked when I saw Steve Clarke. He’s been out of a job longer than Alan Curbishley
Paul Johnson
8 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:33:56
Luis Enrique was in town yesterday.
Joe Hurst
9 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:42:17
Has Riquelme done his coaching course yet?
Paul Smith
10 Posted 24/10/2017 at 21:58:02
I would give Unsworth a go until the end of November and if results and performances improve then give him till the end of the season. If things don't improve get the new man in at the beginning of December to give him a month to assess the squad.

My own personal favourites for the job are Thomas Tuchel and Marco Silva. Both these managers seem to get their teams playing on the front foot with dynamic mobile players.

John Keating
12 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:20:49
Unsworth until New Year and if moving away from bottom extend until the end of the season to reassess everything.

If we are still in the shit in the New Year then we should go into panic mode and get Big Sam on a contract until the end of the season while we look for someone long term.
Ian Burns
13 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:28:12
I hope BK doesn't read this list as his eyes might light up when he sees Moyes and Neville next to each other - it might give him the wrong idea!!

Silva for me but as it has already been pointed out - right man at the wrong time.

Having said that, I would like nothing better than for Unsy to make a fist of it - that would be the perfect long term appointment if he comes up to snuff over the next few games.

Andrew James
14 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:45:44
Phil Neville...average player, top professional.

But our manager given he's had no experience? What are we now? Man United's development academy?

Other interesting ones...

Ranieri - no
Rowett - I had thought about it but he needs to prove himself longer term
Coleman - if we're bringing in Gareth Bale then yes
Arteta - just because he's on Pep's coaching staff that doesn't entitle him to the role anymore than Unsworth, in fact less so
Monk - he's not been able to see it through at any club he's been at so far
Giggs - I draw you back to my remarks concerning Pip

If Giggs and Neville really wanted a job in coaching, they'd go down to the Conference or League 2 and prove themselves but they're too arrogant to do so.

The idea of some of those candidates being resident in Finch Farm is actually chilling.

Andy Crooks
15 Posted 24/10/2017 at 22:57:35
Any list that includes Steve Clarke must surely include David O' Leary.
Tom Bowers
16 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:10:55
Have to admit I would prefer a guy from our own shores with Sean Dyche, Chris Coleman or Eddie Howe because of what they have done with so little. t doesn't always follow that success with other clubs means success with another.

These lads have shown they can make produce teams that have team spirit and play good football and although they don't have long pedigrees in the Premier League. I think the three of them are personable guys who can get the best out of players.

Peter Laing
17 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:14:08
David Unsworth, if not Rhino 🦏Rafa Benitez - good coach and would piss the redshite off no end
Ste Traverse
18 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:25:58
Benitez for me. I posted on here many times he was my first choice when Moyes and Martinez both left.

I don't care he slagged us off once. It was over 10 years ago anyway. Rafa is a quality manager and still lives in the Liverpool area so maybe could be prised away from Geordieland, but I doubt the club would go for that option.

No Neville, Giggs or Arteta's for me. We can't afford to take a chance on a novice. And certainly a huge NO to David fecking Moyes.

Tom Bowers
19 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:38:27
Pretty sure we would all love Unsy to succeed and I for one think he should be given a few months but football management being what it is dictates that he has to turn the fortunes around.

One wonders what may have happened this season if the situations regarding Barkley, Bolasie and Seamus had been different but we will never know.

Somehow I think it wouldn't have been much different under Koeman who just didn't seem to be able to inspire anything in all the talent he still had at his disposal as people like Lookman and Davies looked ill at ease this season.

Colin Glassar
20 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:44:14
Bertie Vogts? The only international manager who tried a 1-5-5 formation and still got battered.
Ciarán McGlone
21 Posted 24/10/2017 at 23:51:50
Frankly I'd rather give Ian Beale a go before Neville, Giggs or Moyes.
Don Alexander
22 Posted 24/10/2017 at 00:04:15
If any manager on the planet can point to himself as having achieved qualifying-for-Europe success without any centre-forward or striker of note he'll be a walk-in for the job.

And in a similar vein the package just paid out to Koeman will not only limit whatever we might have been able to do in January to sign such a player, it will also probably necessitate the sale of Barkley to keep the financial equilibrium that now seems to be a key part of Mr Moshiri's plan.

Sam Hoare
23 Posted 25/10/2017 at 10:24:28
I'd be happy with either of the bookies frontrunners, Tuchel, Dyche or Silva with the latter being my preference. And he's not just 'flavour of the month!'

I'd also be content with Benitez and first of all we must see how Unsworth does and I'd love it if he earned the job.

Paul Newton
24 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:08:21
Any appointment is a risk.
But what about David Wagner?
Look at what he's done at Huddersfield, which could hardly be more impressive.
Craig McFarlane
25 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:28:09
I think we should try to get Bielsa. We aren't going to be able to get Pochettino out of Spurs so why not sign his mentor? Failing that, Tuchel would be my second choice
Shane Corcoran
26 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:37:04
Why is Luis Enrique not listed? He's in the betting on Paddy Power at 25/1. I'm not suggesting he should get it but he seems an obvious one.

No idea who to give it to. Plenty of ideas of who shouldn't get it, namely Allardyce, Moyes, O'Neill, Arteta, Benitez, Giggs, Neville .actually there's too many.

Leave it at Enrieque, Ancellotti, Tuchel, Silva and Unsworth (if he gets a good run of results).

Alex Mullan
27 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:39:53
Why is Bielsa constantly mentioned anytime there's a chance of a regime change? I'd be genuinely interested to know. For me he's up there with the holy trinity of constantly mentioned people - Riquelme, Fernandes and Landon Donovan.
James Stewart
28 Posted 25/10/2017 at 12:53:22
I don't want anyone who hasn't managed before. There is no need for a Premier league club to take that level of risk. Especially not one in our current position.

Therefore my top three would be:

1. Silva - Young, on the rise and gets the best out of average players. Exactly what we need.

2. Tuchel - Champion's League experience and won silverware. Only downside would be no premier league experience.

3. Dyche - Deserves a chance at a bigger job. Would make us hard to beat again.

Most of the other candidates are a joke. Giggs, Neville, Coleman etc. Give me a break. Even Championship clubs wouldn't be looking at those clowns.

Sean Keigher
29 Posted 25/10/2017 at 13:05:12
Patrick Vieira anyone?
John Pierce
30 Posted 25/10/2017 at 13:37:55
The list apart from a couple of eyebrow raisers is not studded with standout candidates.

Of course thats down, in part, to a change of management in mid season.

I think Unsworth regardless of credibility has a strong chance. Ancelotti and Tuchel are without roles so can be considered viable options.

The others are under contract and makes a smooth transition almost impossible. It rules many of the more likely runners out; Dyche & Silva.

The rest are the usual gamut of guess who regulars who appear when any vacancy arises.

So when you remove all the white noise I think realistically its between Tuchel and Unsworth. Media outlets are suggesting contact with the German and in part I think the axe was wielded knowing he maybe open to an approach.

Many say he was for taking Bayern, but Nagelsman is rumoured to have that agreed for next summer, hence Jupp Heynckes in the interim.

I just can’t see another premier league club handing over their manager unless they resign. Or Everton giving Unsworth a contract until the seasons end.

I think despite my heart, its Tuchels to refuse.

John Pierce
31 Posted 25/10/2017 at 13:43:57
Sean 29. Re Vieira

I live here in the US now in New York. I get to see him perform with ‘City, I think he thinks he’s ready but its really hard to discern if he’s any good.

The MLS is like food heated in a microwave, some bits hot n tasty the other cold n insipid. You really do not know what you might get from it.

Craig McFarlane
32 Posted 25/10/2017 at 13:50:16
Alex @27 I mentioned him because he plays fast, attacking football with lots of pressing when his sides lose it...add to that the fact that he's meticulous in preparation and a very, very good coach, I think he would be a more than viable candidate. One thing that may not work in our favour is that he is a highly principled man (leaving Lazio after a few days because they wouldn't sign the players they had promised him springs to mind) so there could be friction between him and BPB.
Dave Wilson
33 Posted 25/10/2017 at 16:18:21
Looking at that list, I think I'll throw me own hat into the ring.

I had to check to see if some of them were still alive

Peter Warren
34 Posted 25/10/2017 at 16:57:44
Unsworth for me to be given a chance. Failing that agree with Tom Bowers choices although would be content to get Benitez who I consider a top quality manager. Any other foreign coach I would be against despite his links to RS.
John Pierce
35 Posted 25/10/2017 at 17:13:23
Benitez is an interesting choice, has pedigree, maybe a touch past his peak why else would you manage the Toon?

A lot of positives in his make up, could we as a fanbase handle any kind of downturn in form?

I’d suggest not based on our feelings for Koeman. His past would be debated if we lost 2 in a row let alone form of 2in12. A sliding doors moment for me, just will never happen.

Steve Ferns
36 Posted 25/10/2017 at 19:39:45
Marcelo Bielsa and Julian Nagelsmann are the two main ones missing.

Biesla is 62, contracted to Lille, who sit second bottom of Ligue 1, not having won since the opening day. The verdict so far is that the Bielsa fire has gone out. If he came to Everton, he'd insist on being properly prepared, which means watching every game last season and this season, at least twice, and in full. He'd also want to learn English. But most importantly, he doesn't break contracts. Cannot see Bielsa coming, if anything it's time for him to go back to Argentina.

Nagelsmann I considered to be out of reach, the 30 year old Hoffenheim "whizzkid" is the hottest young managerial property out there. He's building a house in Munich as we speak. Bayern appointed Heynckes until the end of the season. Nagelsmann was definitely going there. So why are West Ham linked? Can we hijack it? Let's speak to his reps and see if there's a chance. He could be here for 35 years!!

Victor Yu
38 Posted 26/10/2017 at 08:33:44
Mancini is the ideal choice for me.

Good experience and has won trophies with different teams.

Ian Fisher
39 Posted 26/10/2017 at 11:13:24
Another manager who is overlooked by everyone is Michel Preud'homme.

Ex Belgian keeper who has a fine record when managing teams. Has won trophies and has improved every team he has managed. Also, a free agent at the moment.

Obviously no Prem experience but has plenty of experience.

Micky Norman
40 Posted 26/10/2017 at 19:13:40
I'm not suggesting Benitez but it would be very funny to see the Kop draped with that massive flag they have with his portrait on it. Wonder if it'll be there when the barcodes go to Mordor?
David Gill
41 Posted 27/10/2017 at 02:27:32
Benitez couldn't do it, most if not all on the list couldn't do it. We're a big job that needs a manager who'll tell the board they have the wrong ideas and thoughts on how to progress.

We don't need a long-term plan; we need a 2-3 season manager who gets a bag of cash to build a team... his team that'll compete. Think Chelsea and Man City and now Man Utd. That's how you get success, money and a turnover of quality managers.

The days of no money and building a team over years has gone. We've got a billionaire now and he'll want results and a winning team.

Alan J Thompson
42 Posted 29/10/2017 at 16:12:14
It's bad enough getting Man Utd's cast offs but never any from across the Park and particularly so if they've bad-mouthed us in the past.

Unsworth for me at least until he shows he may not be capable but that may take some time.

Jay Harris
43 Posted 31/10/2017 at 11:23:28
The likes of Sean Dyche and Sam Allardyce are okay working with and getting the most out of honest pros similar to the mould of Moyes. But we need an inspirational manager who is very tactically aware and s good organizer.

Dyche has had 5 years at Burnley and has still only produced a mid table side. We also need to consider who can work with Walsh and Kenwright if they're both still here as I think there is dysfunction at the senior level causing rifts in the camp.

I don't think Unsy has a big enough personality to take us back to the top but has enough to get us safe. I would let Unsy manage till January and then go for a big name as a statement assuming we can persuade them to come. Tuchel, Ancelotti, Emry even Conte spring to mind.

Neil Copeland
44 Posted 31/10/2017 at 17:18:20
Neil Warnock is missing off the list .
Steve Ferns
45 Posted 08/11/2017 at 13:29:26
Who would be your three candidates, if one had to be aspirational but slightly (and only slightly) out of reach, one had to be gamble and the third had to be a very safe and realistic approach.

Aspirational appointment - Tommy Tuchel
The gamble - Marco Silva
The safe choice - Sean Dyche

Tim Greeley
46 Posted 17/11/2017 at 16:02:59
Somewhere, Tony Hibbert couldn't give a shit that you left him off this list...
Brian Hill
47 Posted 20/11/2017 at 14:40:31
Graham Potter anyone?

Dennis Stevens
48 Posted 20/11/2017 at 14:52:05
Better than many other suggestions, Brian. Too bold a step for our Board though.
Don Alexander
49 Posted 20/11/2017 at 15:15:26
David Gill (#41), I don't get too carried away that "we've got a billionaire now". Lots of bog standard teams have one as well, such as Southampton, Leicester, Newcastle and so on.

WBA's guy is reportedly worth £1billion more than Moshiri too, so I wouldn't expect spending that goes close to that of the top three's just yet.