Everton first XI with a twist...

by   |   19/11/2017  14 Comments  [Jump to last]

Would this team beat our current eleven?

Ruddy; Mostafi, Duffy, Stones, Dier; Deulofeu, Barry, Fellaini, Cleverley; Lukaku, Naismith.

All the above are playing in the Championship or the Premier League (with the exception of Geri). Would these give our first eleven a run for their money? If Yes, then how do we find ourselves in a position that we have lost the above?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (14)

Robin Cannon
1 Posted 19/11/2017 at 18:41:41
Maybe. But primarily because all the best players on that team were sold when we received offers that were difficult if not impossible to refuse, and those players were keen to leave. It's not like the best players on that team are ones we dumped as not good enough.
John Keating
2 Posted 19/11/2017 at 18:51:29
Yes. Even if Ruddy didn't play they'd still win
Lee Mandaracas
3 Posted 20/11/2017 at 10:21:12
I think a more pertinent question Nigel would be; Would any of these listed players oust our current crop in their positions? Here are my personal answers

RuddyAbsolutely not. Pickford could have an immense career with us and is our shining light for me.
MustafiBetter than Jagielka or Williams, so yes.
DuffyNo.
StonesYes.
DierYes and us not tying him down when we had the chance was one of Moyes's and the board's worst decisions before he left.
DeulofeuHe is where he will shine but he failed to do so with us and we had zero choice in his departure due to the contract anyway. As such, irrelevant but I would still prefer Lookman and Bolasie anyway, so no.
BarryHe was a shadow of his prior self in his last season with us. Therefore, no.
FellainiNo.
CleverleyNo.
Lukaku - Without a question of a doubt but I was so sick of his attitude and periods of laziness.
Naismith – No.

Our team performance and lack of cohesion is not to be confused with poor ability. Confidence is the difference and I believe we have to accept this as a transition season where simply being mid-table is a bonus based on our current performances and lucky last two games' results.

We need a quality manager and a good January transfer window. I suspect other clubs knowing our awful situation and current wealth means we will have our pants ripped down come the New Year even worse than we did in the summer!

Jason Wilkinson
4 Posted 20/11/2017 at 10:42:36
My alternative 11. (Former Blues)

Southall
Wright T, Lyons, Ratcliffe, Power
Kanchelskis, Dobson, Thomas
Mckenzie, Latchford, Heath

Subs; Martyn, Watson, Steven, Ferguson, Bernard, Rioch, King.

Oh for a team like that. I'm watching old vids on YouTube. Different times but God they would spank the mob we have now.

Nigel Gregson
5 Posted 20/11/2017 at 15:12:51
Lee – I'm surprised that you have no time for Fellaini and Barry. The big fella could exactly be the kind of target man that Koeman wanted Giroud to be. In my opinion

Barry was still the most intelligent player – ahead of our current crop and a lot of these defensive lapses this year were covered by Barry's intelligence in the past few years.

Phil Walling
6 Posted 20/11/2017 at 18:10:39
Like many others, I have always regarded our club as the dog's bollocks and imagined most players who moved on were either greedy bastards or were forced out by evil managers and directors.

Into this first category, I put the likes of Lawton, Collins and more recently Fellaini and Lukaku whilst Hickson, Ball, Arteta and Rooney would never have left us of their own accord, now would they?

Of course, this over-simplification is total nonsense and the reality is so different as to insult those who were sold and them that did the selling. Now, all that romantic rubbish can, in my sixties, be confined to dreamland as the realisation dawns that only idiots like me think there is anything special about 'the love of our life'.

As my owd man used to tell me regularly, "You'd see more honesty watching Marine, la !"

How right he was!

Dennis Stevens
7 Posted 20/11/2017 at 21:02:38
Phil, it seems to me that even kids football is quite corrupt these days, so it'd be inconceivable that there'd be more integrity as you go up & up to the Premier League.
Lee Mandaracas
8 Posted 20/11/2017 at 21:32:16
Nigel, in respect of your two observations, I don't rate Fellaini that highly. Especially as he has such a poor disciplinary record (though he'd fit in quite well at the moment!) I don't think he is more talented than what we have in midfield even though they're not showing it at the moment. He is not a forward but can be employed as an attacking midfielder so I think that is square peg in round hole.

Barry was a master for us but his discipline in the last season, failing legs and at times poor decision making cost us. If he were the Barry of a year or two prior there would be no question but he is not so, for me, he is not better than what we have.

Steve Ferns
9 Posted 20/11/2017 at 21:36:57
Barry could still do it in flashes, but the Spurs game showed just how much he had faded.
Iain Johnston
10 Posted 21/11/2017 at 18:04:29
I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Fellaini's discipline, he's booked every 5 full games he plays and has only had 3 red cards in 238 appearences. I'd love any of our midfield to have 1/6 goal to game ratio too.

www.premierleague.com/players/3604/Marouane-Fellaini/stats

Mind you I wouldn't have Pickford playing, for me at £30m he's a total waste of money.

/www.premierleague.com/players/4696/Joel-Robles/stats

/www.premierleague.com/players/4640/Jordan-Pickford/stats

No wonder Koeman was (A) given the boot & (B) not given any funds for a striker or defender with the dogs breakfast he's made with £235m over 3 windows.

Clive Rogers
11 Posted 22/11/2017 at 11:19:38
Deulofeu is hardly setting the world alight at Barca. He is mostly used as a sub and has only actually started two games.
Lee Mandaracas
12 Posted 22/11/2017 at 17:40:25
Clive – fair point on Deulofeu but I think he is better placed there than with us and, as I said, I'd rather have Bolasie and Lookman than him personally.

Iain – I take your point on Fellaini but that is mainly because he hasn't had the game time he had with us. When he was here (and our highest earner on £75k per week) he was usually either injured or suspended so I wouldn't want him back and any Man Utd fan I know would gladly palm him off.

Regarding Pickford though, are you high? No offence intended but how can you possibly deduce Pickford's performance with two very poor sets of players in front of him versus Robles's periods when we were significantly better than we now are is comparing apples with apples? Even so, I would highlight not only how many goals he has prevented but one solitary stat between the two from your own research resource that marks him significantly superior.

Robles : Appearances 51, saves 142
Pickford : Appearances 43, saves 185

Ironically, I rate Robles higher than many on here but you think Pickford's £30m in this climate is a waste of money??????

Dave Abrahams
13 Posted 22/11/2017 at 19:47:52
Nigel, Tom Cleverley is an interesting one, continually played out wide while at Everton, he seems to be playing much better in his preferred position of centre midfield at Watford. He played well for them recently at Goodison, apart from the penalty miss, and none of us moaned about that.

Seems to me he would be better than most who have played in central midfield for Everton this season.

Gareth Clark
14 Posted 24/11/2017 at 12:50:22
What's the point in dwelling in the past.

What we need to do, is solidify our defense - keep some clean sheets, build some confidence & slowly start improving.

3 midfielders to help the back 4 & dominate the mid field. 2 up front to offer us something & one CAM to create.

Rooney has been alright, but he was a huge mistake of a signing. We are pressured to play him - and he doesn't really have a position. If I were to play him he would have to be a midfielder in the midfield 3. Not a CAM or ST.

Pickford
Kenny Keane Jagielka Baines
Idrissa Baningime Davies/Rooney
Sigurdsson
Calvert-Lewin Sandro

Subs: Robles, Williams, Holgate, Schneiderlin, Rooney, Vlasic, Lookman

Sandro messes up a lot... I think because he's so eager to impress, but he puts in a lot of effort & he needs minutes. He is also an actual striker, and we need to play him. Niasse to start when he's back from suspension.

Klaassen too will be good, he has the quality, but confidence is rock bottom.

With players coming back we will have a very strong team. We need to build slowly, play Holgate at CB when needed... Williams needs some time on the bench.

Pickford
Coleman Keane Funes Mori Baines
Idrissa Schneiderlin
Bolasie Sigurdsson Calvert-Lewin
Niasse

Subs: Robles, Jagielka, Kenny, Baningime, Davies, Barkley, Sandro

I feel no obligation to play Rooney...