It’s the fans' fault this form

by   |   24/11/2017  18 Comments  [Jump to last]

Blame Koeman. He probably played his part but it’s more the fans' fault.

People at the club keep calling us fantastic fans. I have to disagree.

I’m going to refer to us fans as “you” because I sing on my own most of the time.

You lot sit there and never sing. You wait for something to hopefully happen to get you excited.

I think it was with Moyesy we were last any good. With Martinez, we were okay with the School of Science chants but we actually lack the ability to even create a decent song for any player and come up with some of the worst stuff I’ve ever heard. Tim Cahill's song was a belter back in the day, wasn’t it?!

I know you fans are the difference, we can make or break this team this season and right now we’re not playing our part.

We can be fantastic fans but we’re more interested in chatting bubbles about something you read or heard, eating hot dogs, being sober doesn’t help and what’s all this clapping now and then at a pass? You’re a disgrace!!

Bournemouth had a better song for Rooney then us. Again we’re utter crap fans.

You are the reason we’re not playing well. The team are shite scared of us. If we sing, guaranteed you see an immediate difference in the players.

Step up, Blues, and sing for the whole game, no matter what.

If you don’t want to, then give your ticket to someone who will. The club no doubt would offer a part refund to you negative moaners. I'd rather see an empty seat than have a Negationian in amongst us.

Simple, when we’re singing at the tops of our voices, it’s absolutely the best feeling, the hairs on my neck standing on end. When the whole stadium are on their feet singing and we feel unbeatable and the team respond massively and go for it. 12th man an all that.

It’s a sad fact – Goodison Park is a library most of the game

Step up, Blues. Time for us to stop ruining our team's confidence and get our boys playing in a positive atmosphere.

Come on, you Blue Fans!!!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (18)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 25/11/2017 at 08:06:16
Ssssh.
John Keating
2 Posted 25/11/2017 at 10:36:10
Unbelievable!

Yes, it's our fault we can't make a 2-yard pass.

Lawrence Green
3 Posted 25/11/2017 at 10:39:50
The disconnect between footballers and the real world has never been greater, Unsworth said something along the lines that the dressing room is different today than it was even during his playing days. It seems the manager can't shout and bawl at today's players as it likely falls on deaf ears or the precious little flowers shrink and sulk at the first sign of criticism.

Koeman too alluded to the fact that the players play firstly for themselves, then the club, then the fans. I along with others who attend Goodison and elsewhere try to get behind the team as often as possible but it becomes very difficult when you realise that the team in general and some individuals within it don't give a hoot about the supporters or the club they play for.

Regardless of how they perform they will continue to pick up a kings ransom and if it all goes pear-shaped for the club it doesn't matter as they can move on to pastures new without detriment to their own careers.

I take it that the crowd didn't help the team against Watford at Goodison a few weeks ago or that Everton's large and loyal following at away grounds have been so quiet and over-critical that the players have responded to their lack of enthusiasm with some of the most consistently tepid performances any team never mind Everton have produced in years.

The Goodison crowd can be a useful weapon for the team when the team can be bothered to show it cares, likewise the Everton away following are not quiet and for the most part they do get behind the team at every match but the team doesn't often repay their loyalty with basic effort and committment.

Managers or fans can influence things but they can't force players to feel emotional or loyal to the Everton cause they can't force those players to be hungry for success because the players who are not already at the elite clubs are probably not made of the right stuff in the first place. If they do happen to be made of the right stuff they are likely looking to further their career at one of those elite clubs.

It's not the fans fault if experienced players can't pass or trap the ball, if they can't tackle or shoot, or if they can't be bothered to work hard for themselves or their team-mates. Footballers, not fans, win football matches, well those who can be bothered to show any pride in their trade do at any rate.

Colin Glassar
4 Posted 25/11/2017 at 11:33:36
A bit harsh on our long suffering fans. There are, imo, two reasons for this; 1) Fans are different nowadays. When I was a kid, football and going to the pictures were our main source of entertainment. Kids these days are a bunch of video playing, social media using, selfie taking junkies.

I very rarely go to home games (distance and cost) but when I do, it pisses me off the amount of people on their fucking phones, laptops and iPads not paying attention to the game just taking fucking selfies or recording the crowd's reaction to a goal. What the fuck? Why bother? Stay at home and play Fifa 2015 while the whole fucking world can watch you on YouTube. Whatever happened to privacy?

Plus the football we play is shite so most people can't be arsed singing. Silly article, btw.

Jay Wood
5 Posted 25/11/2017 at 11:40:32
As rank a post as I've ever read on here.
Oliver Brunel
6 Posted 25/11/2017 at 11:46:56
Utter nonsense. A few weeks ago I went to the Slavia Prague v Villarreal game. We sat in the Villarreal section. They had about 15-20 fans who never sang or clapped once. Villarreal put in a professional clinical performance and won away 2-0.

Everton brought about 14,000 to Nuremburg, about 10,000 to Lille, etc etc. Terrible fans Everton have. Must be awful for the players, no support and all that.

Poor little pathetic lazy arrogant gutless spoilt twats. The players, I mean. Everton are one of the best (perhaps only surpassed by Celtic) supported clubs in world football.

Brian Williams
7 Posted 25/11/2017 at 11:50:18
I'd be the first to admit we don't have that many decent songs (at home). The great supporters (a fan is someone who likes a team and never goes the game) who regularly travel to away games make more of an effort and I salute them for their efforts and the money they spend to go the away games.

Some teams' supporters just don't sing and chant all the way through the game and we happen to be one of them.

I know where I sit, Top Balcony, if I started singing, I'd just get sideways glances and looks of "What's wrong with that fella over there" as most of the people around me are of the older generation or parents with their kids. Have to say that at the recent game against Watford, when for short periods the atmosphere was great, they DID sing and part of it was out of desperation and part because of our unlikely comeback.

If you want to immerse yourself in the singing, David, I suggest the Street End, if you don't already have your seat there. By the way, though, to suggest it's the fans fault for our present predicament is you just (as one of our younger supporters, not fans, would probably say) "chatting absolute fucking wham".

Peter Gorman
8 Posted 25/11/2017 at 11:51:14
Of all the rallying cries I have heard (and that is no bad thing) this is perhaps the stupidest.
Martin Nicholls
9 Posted 25/11/2017 at 12:17:01
David Gill – ever been to an away game?
Andy Crooks
10 Posted 25/11/2017 at 18:18:27
David, if I was a regular supporter, home, and especially away, I would find that a poor post. In fact, appalling.
Alan McGuffog
11 Posted 25/11/2017 at 20:01:07
Ya wanna sing? Go join a choir for chrissakes.
Steve Ferns
12 Posted 25/11/2017 at 20:09:42
This raises a question I have debated with none Evertonians before: What is atmosphere?

The conclusion we came to collectively is that it is not singing. The away fans chanting "Joe Blogg's Purple and Yellow army, clap, clap, clap" over and over and over for 15 minutes solid is not atmosphere. Silence from the home fans and then a roar from the fans as a tackle goes in and suddenly kicking into life, now that's atmosphere. That makes the opponent suddenly lose a yard.

Everton do have great fans and great atmosphere – just litsen to this young Watford fan: Watford fan says we are the loudest fans he's ever heard

Rob Dolby
13 Posted 25/11/2017 at 23:10:14
David, times have changed. I used to love watching the characters in the Street End getting the fans singing and would like nothing more than bringing those times back but the reality is modern fans expect to be entertained by the Sky self-styled best league most important crucial 6 pointer every week, and pay good money for the privilege.

Nowadays, the away fans at each game make the atmosphere. I do think if we had a singing section that cost buttons to get in, it would generate some sort of atmosphere and you would be joined with like-minded people.

Kevin Bennett
15 Posted 25/11/2017 at 23:46:08
David you are absolutely spot on!! Goodison is a library and embarrassing at times!! I know, yes, the team has to show the fight to gain the support and I also know the away support is better but you have a point!! It's a collective thing – supporters, players board management? We can all do a lot better!!!

We need to show we are better, win lose or draw!!! And then debate our club issues post match!!

Stan Schofield
16 Posted 25/11/2017 at 23:59:50
Singing has never been a major thing at Goodison. Chanting "Everton", or "Champions" (a long time ago), not singing, gets the hairs standing on the back of your neck. But that's only in response to generally decent play.

If the play is generally crap, you can't expect the supporters to get animated. Getting animated needs a decent team performing on the pitch, with passion, then the crowd shows passion.

Carl Allan
17 Posted 26/11/2017 at 00:30:26
A lot of fan traditions have disappeared from the game in recent years.

The two I have noticed that have largely gone from Goodison Park is the roar of encouragement and excitement that used to accompany the kick-off and used to reverberate around the ground. The other is when we are leading in the last minute, the barrage of whistles from fans baying for the ref to blow for time.

I remember Roy Evans saying on TV after we had knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup in 1991, that he had never heard so many fans whistling for the end of the match in his life before.

Ray Robinson
19 Posted 26/11/2017 at 10:53:43
I think this article must have been written be to provoke a reaction, surely? We Evertonians are generally quite quiet but then again most grounds are these days. Anfield can resemble a morgue too. However, I don't think the loyalty of Everton fans can ever be questioned, nor their passion for the team. Sometimes this passion however can translate itself into abuse – which is rarely, if ever, productive.

One thing I can agree on – we're in the shit at the moment and transforming Goodison into a bear pit will help get us out of it – irrespective of manager and players' mistakes. We do have a major role to play.

Stan Schofield
20 Posted 26/11/2017 at 11:20:58
Ray, yes it would be great if Goodison could be a bear pit of atmosphere when the team is playing crap, but that never really happens, it's just a wish. It all depends on the team getting their act together, then the crowd responds, then that in turn feeds back to the team.

As you indicate, Anfield is no different. I lived next to that ground for many years, and it was only animated when Liverpool were playing well, otherwise it too was like a library.