No left back!

by   |   30/11/2017  12 Comments  [Jump to last]

Everton's official Premier League Squad for the 2017-18 season as listed on the Premier League website is as follows:

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Baines, Leighton John*
Robles Blazquez, Joel
Rooney, Wayne Mark*
Schneiderlin, Morgan*
Sigurdsson, Gylfi Thor*
Stekelenburg, Maarten
Williams, Ashley Errol*

We need 8 Home Grown players. I count 13. Of the 25, I count 23 as players who have played in the first team. The other two are Sam Byrne (striker) and Gethin Jones (right back). Both are over 21 and so need to be registered to play.

Now reviewing the list, it seems to me that our left back options, stretching it as far as I can, are as follows: - Leighton Baines - Ramiro Funes Mori (injured for the season as confirmed before the window shut) - 'Cuco' Martina (nice real name by the way) - Jonjoe Kenny - Mason Holgate

Now Kenny and Holgate emerged as candidates recently, (Sunderland LC and Southampton respectively) and were surely not viable candidates when the list was submitted. Martina was as Koeman discussed his versatility.

The serious question is this, was it really wise to loan out Galloway? Or could Garbutt have been registered as a contingency plan ahead of Byrne or Jones? Especially Jones, given he's older and less likely to play than Kenny and effectively a dead spot on the list?

What the list also shows is that we have only two spots (Byrne's and Jones's) to play with in the window, and after that we will have to move on over-21 players to make room, or simply not register them and be unable to play them.

Koeman really did a number on us this season, and this is just one such example of his gross incompetence.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (12)

Gareth Clark
1 Posted 30/11/2017 at 08:15:43
Was agreeing with you until the last paragraph.

Garbutt will come into the squad in January – Byrne will go out, and possible Jones too.

I'm pretty sure Jones is injured currently – or he would definitely be in contention for the left-back slot.

Galloway unfortunately isn't performing or even making the team at Championship level – so can't blame Koeman for that... if he was ripping it apart, that's another story.

Garbutt should come into the squad in Jan & he is quality... his left foot is so sweet & his delivery is great. Unsy has fixed his defense & he will be a very decent back up.

Last point to make is – Martina has got a lot of negativity & abuse... and I feel that is extremely unfair. He was bought as a squad player & when called upon, he has done a job. Last night he was faultless, and did a great job down the left (his weak side). Give him a break...

A lot of Everton “supporters” are so quick to abuse their own players, managers & team. Stop blaming everything on one or two people. We have bought a whole new squad & our fixtures did not help at all. It's a slow process, be patient & support your team.

Klaassen & Sandro are going to be great players for us! I really do hope we keep them & give them a chance. It was a mistake letting Koeman go... but I think Big Sam, Shakespeare & Sammy Lee will do a great job.

GET BEHIND OUR TEAM!!

COYB.

Dennis Stevens
2 Posted 30/11/2017 at 09:12:22
Apparently, Unsworth is at least as culpable as Koeman for not waving the magic wand that Allardyce will no doubt produce to magic away all the issues you highlighted in your piece, Steve.
Frank Wade
3 Posted 30/11/2017 at 12:34:29
Steve, You have missed two other left back options also on loan in the Championship as well. Antonee Robinson at Barnsley, playing every week and Callum Connolly playing at Ipswich. Connolly hasn't played as regularly but scored the winner for Ipswich on Tuesday night. I saw him make his debut v Southampton at home as sub for Seamus and he didn't look out of place. A bit rash in the tackle sometimes but a strong option who could have been included in the squad. He was in the World Cup U20 squad, but lost out on a slot in the team to the Spurs lad Kyle Walker-Peters.

I expect the chances for Galloway, Robinson and Connolly will recede and we will be in for Aaron Cresswell in January.

I didn't realise Sam Byrne was in the squad. He didn't make the bench when we were very short of strikers. Nice to see his brother Adam make his debut for the Ireland Rugby team last weekend.

Denis, I assume your point re Unsworth being as culpable is that he (with Walsh) allowed all these players go on loan to further their development, as the Registration date had passed when Unsworth took over from Koeman. We don't have a proper handle on the recruitment responsibilities. I assume DoF finds players but that none would be signed without Manager approval.

Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 30/11/2017 at 20:26:11
Frank (3), I think Antonee Robinson is at Bolton, Joe Williams is at Barnsley.
Frank Wade
5 Posted 30/11/2017 at 21:12:40
Sorry Dave, of course Robinson is at Bolton, yet another case of my misleading ToffeeWeb. In my defence, I had been reading an interview with Joe Williams in the Everton magazine this morning. Steve's point is valid especially the notion of registering Funes Mori who was never going to play before January.
Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 30/11/2017 at 22:25:03
Gareth #1, I hope you've actually seen Garbutt with the reserves and that Rhino has repaired his defending, because he was a train wreck at Fulham and Wigan. If in fact Unsy has done magic with him, great... but I'll wait to see it.

And you make a good point about Martina... he's nothing more than a stopgap, and he's playing out of position, but his effort has been ceaseless and I think he has taken some unfair stick here.

But as to your belief that it was a mistake to let Koeman go... oh my, no. It may have been handled badly with regard to not having a proper successor ready, but even I – generally a Koeman booster – could see what a wreck he had created.

Gavin Johnson
7 Posted 01/12/2017 at 13:08:00
I bet Garbutt, Galloway and Connolly are really frustrated to put it mildly knowing they would be playing if any of them were eligible right now.

Out of the three Connolly looks the best prospect. I had high hopes for Galloway but after successive failures out on loan he looks the same as Garbutt. An attack minded defender who can't do his first job and defend. That said, I'd prefer either of them over Cuco Martina.

Phil Brown
8 Posted 01/12/2017 at 15:09:59
But Garbutt could fit in very well in front of the left back for away games. He would offer much more support than Siggy and the potential to use his left foot to put in some crosses.
Charlie Lloyd
9 Posted 01/12/2017 at 23:31:11
I do find this naming the squad list confusing. There is no Baningime no there so how come he played. Maybe someone can clear up my confusion.

On Garbutt. I've seen about 5 U23 games this season and his defending is really not up to first team standard.

We need a new left back to challenge Baines in January.

Michael Kenrick
10 Posted 04/12/2017 at 06:01:18
Charlie, you'll see that Kenny, Davies and Calvert-Lewin aren't listed either. The common factor is that they are all under 21 years of age. No need to name them. You can bring them in as you wish as the season progresses.
Mike Allison
11 Posted 09/12/2017 at 18:13:56
Where does everyone stand on Luke Shaw? He seems to be young, talented and available. Does he have fitness or attitude problems? Mourinho doesn’t seem to like him.
Ralph Basnett
12 Posted 13/12/2017 at 10:47:52
The left-back slot is the easiest to fill – Luke Shaw.

It's the striker that is the worry!!!!!!!