Our greatest ever goal

by   |   30/11/2017  63 Comments  [Jump to last]

Quite simply folks some of the TV punters have acclaimed Wayne Rooney's third goal as just that, our greatest ever, and that may be the case.

What do you think though, and if you differ, what WAS the greatest ever in your opinion?

For me the screamer Sharpy scored against them over the park takes the biscuit.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (63)

Kieran Jones
1 Posted 03/12/2017 at 10:17:23
Andy King against the RedShite for me!
Mike Galley
2 Posted 03/12/2017 at 11:18:40
So many to pick from and also one of my favourite subjects to do with football! Great Everton goals? I could be here all day!!!

Regarding Sharpy's Anfield howitzer, he actually scored a goal a couple of years earlier against Spurs at Goodison. Just as great a goal in my opinion. It's on YouTube, give it a watch!

Andy Crooks
3 Posted 03/12/2017 at 20:59:21
Don, Leon Osman in the Europa League. A truly magnificent goal. However, context can play a big part. So, Gareth Farelly scored a blinder. In terms of the pure wonder of a goal the best I have ever ever seen was scored many years ago by the underestimated Tony Brown of WBA.

Again, the context has an influence. My late dad urged me to watch the highlights. Black and white, muddy pitch, clearance from the goalie. half volley from 35 yards, ball never rises more than a foot from the ground, magic.

You know it probably never happened like that at all but I remember it like yesterday.

Paul Hewitt
4 Posted 03/12/2017 at 21:12:40
Barry Horne against Wimbledon. In That Game.
Chris Rudd
5 Posted 03/12/2017 at 21:50:15
Andy Crooks – that goal against Larissa was pure football from Baines to Cahill to Pienaar and then the most sublime finish from Leon – the goalie didn't even move. I was right behind the shot and it was poetry.

If that had been in a massive game it would definitely have been the all-time best. As someone said though, context is everything so any goal against the shite or Sheedy's in Rotterdam would trump it, I guess.

Brian Williams
6 Posted 03/12/2017 at 22:02:36
Graeme Sharp volley from outside the box against the RS!

Paul Tran
7 Posted 03/12/2017 at 22:10:47
My favourite was Kevin Sheedy, FA Cup quarter final 1985. We got a free kick just outside the box. Sheeds bent it round the wall into the top left corner. Perfect. But no, the ref saw an infringement and ordered a retake. Much swearing all round. Not a bother. Sheeds bent it round the other side of the wall. Wonderful stuff.

It was a great game, 2-2 draw. Of course, we went down to Ipswich and won the replay.

I'll never forget that goal. Double perfection.

Colin Glassar
8 Posted 03/12/2017 at 22:37:13
Andy King – I was there. Latch's 30th as well – also there.
Ian Smitham
9 Posted 03/12/2017 at 22:57:15
There can be only one winner. Tricky Trev against Bayern. Top Balcony was wobbling.

Trouble is, Sheedy in Rotterdam, after they had scored I was explaining to Big Nev that he should just waste time, instead he hurried up and seconds later, Sheedy scored the third, a moment I have determined as the greatest moment in sporting history.

Bob the Pole has a claim at OT, but Duncan’s turn and shot at that place followed by the celebration have claims for me.

Only referred to goals I saw live, Sharp’s as outlined above was a game I was not at so cant nominate it.

Great subject to discuss though, and cheers us all up I hope

Mike Hughes
10 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:02:43
The Sharp goal Anfield.

Trevor Steven v Sunderland 85

Jags V RS last minute (just for the stunned slapped-arse faces at Anfield)

Andy King v RS (one of my best childhood memories).

Barry Horne (vital game changer)

Gareth Farrelly (I started to breathe a little better when he scored)

Sigurdsson v Hadjuk Split (audacity)

All of the goals in the 3-0 win v RS at GP.

Sigurdsson v Huddersfield (the first in Sam’s glory years at EFC).

The last minute controversial winner at Anfield next week - and the after-match whine-in on Radio Merseyside. “It was miles offside. That Martin Atkinson is a Bluenose. It’s not fair. It’s our year. Etc.”

John McFarlane [Snr]
11 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:17:28
Hi Don, I think some of our fellow blues are clouding the issue, if you're talking about technique, then for me it has to be Rooney's goal against West Ham, with Graeme Sharps goal at Anfield taking the runners-up medal.

If you mean any other type of goal then it's Derek Temples goal at Wembley in the 66' final, I was two months short of my 28th birthday and it gave me my first taste of FA Cup glory.

Don Alexander
12 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:17:49
Andy Crooks (#3), I remember that Tony Brown goal too! A helluva shot. Back in those days there were a number of hotshots; him, Lorimer at Leeds, Alan Hinton at Derby and a few more I've no doubt forgotten.

This century, Rooney aside last week, we've seen two stunners from Jimmy Mac and Jermaine Beckford. The first, against lowly Charlton in 2007, was Messi-esque. The second was against the champions, Chelski in 2010, when Beckford collected the ball on the edge of our area and then ran the entire pitch dribbling right through their defence to slot.

Dan Davies
13 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:24:38
Got to be Sharpy over there. Top Draw.
Colin Glassar
14 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:25:29
Ronnie Goodlass from the halfway line and Faddy’s goal against Middlesbrough (?) I think it was voted goal of the season.
John Pierce
15 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:41:52
Faddys goal was amazing. I was right behind the goal, it came down like a bomb. Thought we were going to get proper belted.

No one could believe it. We were so bad that day, the goal so out of step with the game.

Brian Williams
16 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:47:47
The Andy King (RIP) goal against the RS holds special memories for me. If you remember Souness was closing in on Kingy and allegedly shouted "you're gonna miss" or something like that to put him off.

That night, I was in a club on the Wirral. I was having a piss and the next thing someone was next to me in at the urinal.

Looked across to see it was Souness. Couldn't resist it and said "Hello Graham, you're mate's gonna be here soon." "Which mate?" he said. "Andy King," I said. "Fuck off!" he said, "fucking Evertonians."

He actually laughed and was alright about it.

Paul Baxter
17 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:53:34
I can only count the goals I actually watched so it has to be Graeme Sharp against Tottenham, as good as the Anfield goal. Can’t remember if that was the match we lost 4-1 right at the start of the season we won the league.
Ray Roche
18 Posted 03/12/2017 at 23:55:14
Gerry Humphreys versus Sheffield Wednesday in about 68-69.
Alan McGuffog
19 Posted 04/12/2017 at 01:06:20
Ray. Amen
Colin Gee
20 Posted 04/12/2017 at 01:06:25
Sharpy's goal against the RS at the Pit.
Dave Speed
21 Posted 04/12/2017 at 05:44:22
For the raw emotion, Sharpy v RS is hard to beat. But if it were based on the improbability factor, Andy Gray's 2 headers v Sunderland. Osman's in Europe was sweet and pure. Barkley's Newcastle goal and Beckford who did a similar one against Chelsse were great individual goals.

For bravery, Mick Lyons could have had his head taken off by Norman Hunter while diving to score against Leeds. Finally, in the "Only Rooney" classification, as a kid v a great Arsenal team with Seaman in goal, and his West Ham goal.

Jamie Sweet
22 Posted 04/12/2017 at 07:28:23
Let's be honest, Sharp's goal at Anfield was a bit route one, and we don't like that style around here.

We'll probably score loads of similar goals under Big Sam, hopefully starting next game at that same venue.

Steve Carse
23 Posted 04/12/2017 at 10:53:12
Ray (#18) and Alan (#19), agreed, what a strike from such a wide position. But surely from that era Husband's goal in the Park End against Chelsea (?) has to beat it.

A goal that showed the total understanding that side had as to each others positioning (no reason to control the ball and then have to look up to see where everyone else was) plus the majesty of the strike, taken on the chest and then hit on the half volley. Crying shame that it was not captured on film.

Paul Kelly
24 Posted 04/12/2017 at 11:11:39
I could go on all day, but Sharpy v Spurs was something else. Horne v ‘dons for the occasion.... and one many probably forget, was it Bob the Pole v Man Utd 0-3 away, where he turned the defender inside out before lashing it into the top corner?
Andy Meighan
25 Posted 04/12/2017 at 17:10:50
Colin (#14), McFadden's goal was against Charlton.
Paul Kelly
26 Posted 04/12/2017 at 20:04:01
Andy, he scored a 30yr lob against ‘boro too, I think. Double volley against Charlton?
Jay Harris
27 Posted 04/12/2017 at 20:21:11
For those that remember Alex Young's goal against Sheff Wed at Goodison Park.

He was just by the dugout on the halfway line shimmied his hips the way only he could sent 3 Sheff Wed defenders sprawling and then hit a 60 yard cracker into the back of the net with Springett (I think) clawing fresh air.

More modern times has to be Ossie against Larissa.

Peter Mills
28 Posted 04/12/2017 at 21:11:36
Some wonderful goals and memories mentioned above. I still can't watch Trevor Steven's goal against Bayern Munich without tears coming into my eyes, and I've seen it hundreds of times.

May I throw into the mix 2 other goals, maybe not the greatest, but goals when time stood still? Howard Kendall at Goodison against Chelsea in 1970, we were on for the Title, it was going to be a very tough game, and Howard scored after 14 seconds, Goodison exploded.

And Inchy against Southampton in the semi final, 1984. After all the disappointments of the previous 14 years, we were going to win the FA Cup.

Gerry Morrison
29 Posted 04/12/2017 at 21:15:19
Some great goals mentioned, but for me it has to be Derek Temple in the 1966 FA Cup Final.
Tony Abrahams
30 Posted 04/12/2017 at 21:33:03
I’d go with Rooney’s for pure technique, Sharp’s for pure joy, and Andy Grey’s first against Sunderland, for a team goal of the highest order, on a day that I knew my team was actually going to go and win the league.

Remember Mathew Jackson’s goal at Bristol City, where I don’t think I’ve ever seen Everton, ever get so battered but still win the game, and hope for something similar at Anfield next month! We need a cup so badly, and maybe soon the winner in the cup final can be my new favourite goal!

Steve Barr
31 Posted 04/12/2017 at 21:43:39
Jimmy Husband v Chelsea in a 3-0 win at home – Jan 16th, 1971.

Henry Newton and big Joe got the others.

Other than that it's got to be Sharpie's goal at Anfield.

Allan Barratt
32 Posted 05/12/2017 at 08:58:42
James McFadden against Charlton

Poor quality video.

Paul Goodchild
33 Posted 05/12/2017 at 09:27:12
Andy King scored a great goal against Derby at the Baseball Ground in 1979. I was there and I think it was on Match of the Day. Does anyone else remember that one? He lobbed the keeper from outside the box.
Len Hawkins
34 Posted 05/12/2017 at 09:52:33
Steve (#23),

My memory is failing by the minute but I was thinking about a goal which I think is the one you said. If I remember right they were attacking our goal (Gwladys Street) and the ball was passed out to Bally who scurried forward and he fed Jimmy who smashed it in the Park End goal – about 2 or 3 passes from one end to the back of the net.

Alan McGuffog
35 Posted 05/12/2017 at 10:16:28
Steve someone on another thread some time ago mentioned that goal by Husband. I cannot recall it at all and as I would have been standing next to you at the time it says a lot about our respective memories. Now, where's me teeth?
Phil Bellis
36 Posted 05/12/2017 at 10:20:30
For raw emotion; Bally, FA Cup 5th round, 1967

More than 100,000 at the 2 grounds, a gale blowing, "What's Our Name?", the conga from Gwladys Street to the Winslow.

Dave Richman
37 Posted 05/12/2017 at 10:43:27
Another contender here from Kevin Sheedy vs Southampton in 1988-89

It's a minute in on the attached link. Keeper (Tim Flowers??) didn't have a prayer!

Martin Nicholls
38 Posted 05/12/2017 at 11:14:11
Maybe not the best we've ever scored but for importance, occasion and the majesty of the scorer, what about the Golden Vision v Spurs in 1963?

Don (#12) – those guys you mention could certainly shoot, as could the hugely under-rated Alan Woodward of Sheffield Utd.

Steve Barr
39 Posted 05/12/2017 at 13:08:07
Len (#34),

You remember it correctly. I recall it being John Hurst who brought it out and passed to Harvey. He then passed it to Bally on the left who lofted in a diagonal ball over Husband's shoulder who hit it on the volley and into the net. A glorious goal.

Alan (#35), you are also right. I was involved in that thread some time ago as I had mistakenly recalled the game being against Newcastle for some reason but another poster corrected me and also recalled the goal as a cracker!

Pete Clarke
40 Posted 05/12/2017 at 13:32:29
Loved the Trevor Steven goal against Sunderland. Loved the Leighton Baines goal v Newcastle. Loved Rooney's against Arsenal. But Andy King against the RS was incredible as we hadn't beaten them for 7 years.
Dave Williams
41 Posted 05/12/2017 at 18:22:39
Gray x 2 against Sunderland
Kendall's hitchkick circa 1968- can't recall the opposition
Bally's 30-yarder v Newcastle
Steven v Sunderland
Sharp v Spurs
Harvey v West Brom 1970 title clincher
Latchford, No 30 – for sheer elation
King v RS

That's 9 and I could go on for hours but clear winner is Sharpy v RS. Best goal ever by either side in a Derby and the celebration was also memorable.

Sean Callaghan
42 Posted 05/12/2017 at 18:36:48
Sharpy's goal against the RS was so good that even Klippity Klopp ran on to the pitch in celebration (see Brian's YouTube video, around 15 seconds in).

My vote would be Jagielka's last minute thunderbolt (v the RS) from a couple of years ago.

Danny Broderick
43 Posted 05/12/2017 at 18:48:13
We've never scored a more important goal than Barry Horne's against Wimbledon, in my opinion. We were dead and buried, going down to the Second Division after 15 minutes. We then had about 10 to 15 minutes of shite before the most exhilarating hour of football I have ever witnessed at Goodison.

That goal was unexpected and gave us a shot at what was still a long shot. The fact that we survived has only heightened the importance of that goal in my mind. I'll never forget that day. Goodison was full by about 12pm. What a goal and what a day!

Tony Everan
44 Posted 05/12/2017 at 20:12:09
I was in the Upper Gwladys Street and watched the Barry Horne goal. Fantastic. Goal of a lifetime for Barry, and one of the most important Everton goals ever.

I made a banner that day out of a shower curtain I think it was, found some black paint in my dad's garage and imaginatively painted on it “We will beat you”. Hung it over the Upper Gwladys and weighed the corners down with two footy socks filled with sand. It was very rough but homemade and from the heart. It worked its magic.

An unbelievably emotional day, it was all too much for me, nearly passed out with the stress. I let Everton get into my nervous system, I can't help it.

For pure joy, the Andy King goal against the RS was my reflex thought when I saw the headline link.

Paul Birmingham
45 Posted 05/12/2017 at 21:37:56
As a young lad... Andy King vs the RS; Sheeds and Tricky Trev knocked in goals of the season every week, as part of a majestic team and era; Sharpy's volley vs Spurs, at home RS away; Sheffield Wed semi-final and also Harpos great strikes in the FA Cup semi, vs Chelsea (away '87), Faddy's vs Charlton, Seamus vs Soton, Dave Smallmanss best in the Street end, Ossies v Soton at home, last-minute win, Tomas Radzinski vs Saints last seconds of the game... so many and hopefully more to come.

Proud to be an Evertonian and those days and games make us what we are, and we survive and laugh and moan.

Best days by far... more to come. Hopefully on Sunday there's a couple more and we beat them.

Peter Fearon
46 Posted 06/12/2017 at 04:32:57
Agree with a lot of the nominations here but one goal totally underestimated was Colin Harvey's sensational semi-final breakaway against Manchester United in 1966.

The pitch was like soup. Harvey was one-on-one and actually miscued it beyond Harry Gregg's reach. Colin was still a young player and his reaction to putting us in the final was priceless – as was ours, behind the goal.

Ron Marr
47 Posted 06/12/2017 at 05:39:34
Derek Temple to win the Cup Final after being down 2-0 , and Andy King to beat the RS.

Stan Norvill
48 Posted 06/12/2017 at 15:32:36
We battered Derby for 85 mins. Then, the greatest of them all hit a cracker from 20 yards, to win the game.

RIP, Bally – love ye still.

Dave Abrahams
49 Posted 07/12/2017 at 09:09:08
Ray (#18) and Alan (#19),

I'll go along with Gerry Humphreys goal versus Sheffield Wed. Coming from a young lad who didn't get many games never mind goals, Gerry just caught the ball right and it was going in the second it left his boot. Always stays in the memory.

There have been some fabulous goals suggested here and I wouldn't argue too much about any of them. Gerry had an average career, with all due respect, but what a goal to look back on and recall.

Ray Robinson
50 Posted 07/12/2017 at 09:35:17
Add me to the Gerry Humphreys list. I was stood behind it on the Goodison Road terrace as it exoceted its way high into the Gwladys Street net. If I recall correctly, Ron Springett was in goal – a wonderful goalkeeper in that era but absolutely powerless to do anything.
Stan Schofield
51 Posted 07/12/2017 at 20:36:22
Colin Harvey's goal against West Brom that sealed our title win in 1970.
Laurie Hartley
52 Posted 08/12/2017 at 08:57:39
Leon Osman's goal takes some beating but there is a goal that I will always remember - Samuel Eto'o's header against Burnley.

One of my great disappointments in my time as an Evertonian was not seeing more of that man in an Everton shirt. He was a footballing thoroughbred.

Conor Skelly
53 Posted 08/12/2017 at 15:35:33
I'm surprised nobodies mentioned Alex Young's one against Man Utd. I think it was around '67 at Goodison Park. You had Best and Charlton on the opposing team but it was Young who produced the magic. The control, the touch and the finish were out of this world.

Everton eventually won the game 3 - 2.

[Young's goal comes about 4 mins into this clip, and it's a peach! – Ed]

Steve Carse
54 Posted 09/12/2017 at 11:37:59
Alan (#35), yes we would certainly have been stood next to each other when Husband scored this particular goal.

Steve (#39), my far from foolproof recollection is that Ball received Harvey's sideways, first time, ball out on the right, in front of the dugouts, not out left in front of the Bullens, and that Husband hit it on the half volley rather than the volley. But who cares; a thing of absolute beauty.

Steve Barr
55 Posted 09/12/2017 at 15:15:36
Steve (#54),

You may well be right. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I initially recalled the game being against Newcastle for some reason.

I tried to find it on YouTube by inputting "Everton goals 1970/71 season", and other combinations, to no avail. Notwithstanding it has always stuck with me as being one of the best I've seen.

Terry White
56 Posted 09/12/2017 at 16:40:04
3-1, Conor, (#53). Thanks for the clip from this special game.
James Hughes
57 Posted 09/12/2017 at 17:37:33
Sharp against Spurs, Clemence in goal after his move. He was given a warm welcome as well.

Graeme hit a beautiful volley from the apex of the box and if memory serves me right, also won Goal of the Season.

Ray Atherton
58 Posted 09/12/2017 at 17:49:48
Dave (#41)

Howard"s hitchkick was against Leicester in the quarterfinal of the FA Cup, at Filbert Street in 1968.

John Keating
59 Posted 09/12/2017 at 17:56:31
Conor, great clip. I'd forgot all about that I was in the Park End that day. It just reminds me what great players we had then. A bit earlier it was Young and Vernon who I loved!

I think for importance though Derek Temple in the 1966 FA Cup Final. After being 2-0 down, one-on-one with the keeper, what must have been going through his mind? Brilliant. What a welcome home we gave them on Sunday evening!

Peter Mills
60 Posted 12/12/2017 at 20:48:48
Conor (#53), great clip. I watched that game from Bullens Rd.

I was honoured to meet John Hurst a fortnight ago, and delighted to obtain his autograph again, as I had done outside Bellefield in 1970.

Simon Hermansen
61 Posted 12/12/2017 at 20:56:59
Does anyone recall a Sharpy goal v Leeds toward the end of the 81-82 season in a 1-0 win?

It's never shown up on YouTube so I only ever saw it from my spot in the Paddock but, in my memory, it was a screamer from about 45 yards out!

Did I dream it...??

Vince Walsh
62 Posted 15/12/2017 at 16:05:58
There can only be one winner here – for the sheer brilliance, for the importance of winning that game, for the opposition, and for where it was.... my favorite memory at a football game (better than Rotterdam) stood on the Kop when it went in the far end.

Sharpy, of cours !

Kev Johnson
63 Posted 17/12/2017 at 17:13:28
I've seen many over the years... tricky Trev against Sunderland in 85; the wizard Sheedy vs Ipswich and that double free kick – a genius – and the Rotterdam 3rd to end the 1985 European Cup-Winners Cup Final

But the one for me is Sharpy against Liverpool. I was lucky to be in the Anfield Road end that day in October 1984. I've watched it a thousand times.... Stevens floats a sublime ball to Sharpy, one touch to steer in front of Lawro, then Bang!– like an Exocet into the roof... I swear Brucie was still grasping air 3-5 seconds after it hit the net.

My greatest Everton goal by far!