We have, understandably, received a number of emails asking where Ken Buckley has got to seeing as he hasn't reported on a match for quite a while now.

Ken's reports, both from Goodison Park and the Room of Nonsense, have been one of the most popular features on ToffeeWeb for a number years and they've clearly been missed.

I tried getting in touch with Ken by email a month or so back and again this week, and have also sent a message to one of the Blues with whom he enjoys a pre- and post-match pint but have, unfortunately, not heard back from either.

Like every ToffeeWebber, I very much hope he is well and has just decided to just take a break from reporting on the chaos at Goodison Park!

Ken, if you're out there, please do drop us a line!

Update: The good news is that both Ken and the friend I mention above are well and both were at the Brighton game last week. Ken has simply decided to take a break from his report-writing duties, presumably through the ennui that most of us share about the current state of the team.

Should he decide to resume his regular account of Blues games, we would welcome him back with open arms but I'm sure he would be pleased to know how many people have asked after him.

Reader Comments (56)

Paul Kossoff
1 Posted 25/01/2018 at 19:45:30
Ken, we all enjoy your match day write ups, hope all is well, coyb.
Martin Nicholls
2 Posted 25/01/2018 at 19:52:26
I agree with both Lyndon and Paul – hope nothing untoward has happened.
Steve Barr
3 Posted 25/01/2018 at 19:59:11
This genuine concern for Ken ( I'm sure the same would apply to any ToffeeWebber) is one of many reasons this is the best fan web site and the best football club.

I too hope Ken is well.

Dermot Byrne
4 Posted 25/01/2018 at 20:13:28
One of the most balanced writers on TW. All the best from me too.
Stephen Brown
5 Posted 25/01/2018 at 20:17:26
Hope Ken is ok!

Love the match reports from him (and Paul) as they give from fan perspective!

Tony Abrahams
6 Posted 25/01/2018 at 20:39:32
I Hope Ken is okay, and it's just been too hard for him to report on the drivel we have witnessed this season.
Ken Kneale
7 Posted 25/01/2018 at 21:23:32
I echo Tony @6 in hoping all is well. Ken's skill as an entertaining wordsmith are required to counterbalance the dross on and of the pitch.
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 25/01/2018 at 21:53:16
I certainly hope Ken is okay; I always looked forward to match day reports. He amazed me with his nice calm, cool, collected remarks, even his anger was nice and controlled, came out with some telling phrases which a lot of us picked up on and used, like "our present manager" a few months before Martinez started packing his bags.

Wherever you are, Ken, I /we hope you are doing well.

Steve Green
9 Posted 25/01/2018 at 22:56:19
Ken, please come out of The Dark. No seriously, hope all is well and your absence is but temporary. Up the Blues!
Alan J Thompson
10 Posted 26/01/2018 at 03:36:28
I wouldn't know Ken if I was stood next to him but I certainly miss his match day reports. Log in now, Ken!
Peter Mills
11 Posted 26/01/2018 at 08:08:48
I echo all the comments above.
James Lauwervine
12 Posted 26/01/2018 at 10:26:11
I always really enjoyed Ken's reports. Like those above I hope he is well and just off having a nice long winter holiday.
Tahir Abdullah
13 Posted 26/01/2018 at 11:24:52
Ken's reports are a ToffeeWeb institution; very concerning that he appears to have fallen off the map. Hope all is well and that he confirms such soon...
Chris Jones [Burton]
14 Posted 26/01/2018 at 11:30:26
Seconding everyone's concern. Really miss his contributions to the site. Hope his absence is attributable to something trivial, or simlply that he's enjoying life so much he has time to read TW only.
Dave Williams
15 Posted 26/01/2018 at 15:39:57
I can only echo what everyone else has said. Ken is always very balanced in his views and finds the right words, never resorting to bad language or verbal abuse of players.

On the subject of absent regulars where is Patrick Murphy, statistician supreme?

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

16 Posted 26/01/2018 at 15:56:24
As one of those who has asked about Ken's whereabouts with genuine concern, like all others, I hope he is as well as Everton's current performances allow him to be!

Sorely missed. Without question for me, the single best matchday contribution on TW by a country mile and then some.

Take up your seat and pen again soon, Ken. Your insight, wit and eloquence is much needed at times like this.

Jay Harris
17 Posted 26/01/2018 at 16:02:32
Like everyone else, I'm very concerned that Ken is okay.

Hopefully it's just the drivel on the pitch that has caused him to bail out and nothing else.

If any of his friends are looking in, maybe they could let us know that he's okay.

Rob Hooton
18 Posted 26/01/2018 at 17:11:32
Ken's reports are always a delight even if the football isn't! Sharing in the concern, hope you're okay, Ken.
Ian Hollingworth
19 Posted 26/01/2018 at 17:36:43
Defo miss Ken's reports.

Hopefully it is just the dire performances and goings on that Ken cannot be bothered with as Ken always had a positive outlook and I guess it is difficult to take any positives from this season.

Steve Ferns
20 Posted 26/01/2018 at 18:03:09
Agree with all of the above. I hope it's more disillusionment than anything else. Please get in touch, Ken.
Mike Hughes
21 Posted 26/01/2018 at 18:09:19
I definitely miss Ken's reports.

They have the feel of match day at Goodison Park and are very well-written.

Darren Hind
22 Posted 26/01/2018 at 18:25:03
Walk like a fan.
Talk like a fan
Walk like a fan my son.

Proper Evertonian

Dave Brierley
23 Posted 26/01/2018 at 18:39:09
Ken, you're missed badly. Always my go-to columnist on TW.

Hope all is good and we hear from you soon.

Mike Doyle
24 Posted 26/01/2018 at 19:30:30
While missing those insightful comments from the Room of Nonesense, l can only endorse the comments of other posters in hoping all is well with Ken.
Laurie Hartley
25 Posted 27/01/2018 at 09:21:51
Ken comes across as a mil- mannered man to me.

My suggestion would be – Find out where the Room of Nonsense is and send a similarly mild-mannered TW emissary (volunteer) to said watering hole and let him know we are thinking of him.

I suspect Ken is hurting because he can see us tearing each other to shreds on here.

I hope that is all it is.

Barry McNally
26 Posted 02/02/2018 at 11:10:17
If memory serves, Ken went on a hiatus a few season ago so hopefully it's the same reason now.

Echo all the sentiments above.

When he comes back, it will be like a new signing for ToffeeWeb!

Sandra Bowen
27 Posted 14/02/2018 at 16:00:58
Does anyone on here know what's happened to Ken?

Along with Lyndon, he's been my favourite writer for years and I miss his contributions.

If you happen to see this Ken, I hope you're well and look forward to seeing your posts again.

Tony Heron
28 Posted 25/02/2018 at 17:36:22
I asked this question about Ken's whereabouts myself some time ago. Ken or any of your mates, if your reading this, just let us know you're okay. No other explanation needed.
Ajay Gopal
29 Posted 25/02/2018 at 17:41:40
Absolutely agree with all the posts above. I miss Ken’s balanced reports. Get back here soon, Ken! Maybe, then Everton will start winning!
Lawrence Green
30 Posted 18/03/2018 at 22:08:43
Great news that Ken is still attending games at Goodison and I'm sure I speak for the majority of TW's if not all of them, that we miss his match reports, which were always an entertaining and insightful read.

Come back soon Ken, as you never know we might have a new manager in August and suddenly start to play joined-up, winning football and who better to write about it, than your good self.

Brent Stephens
31 Posted 18/03/2018 at 22:15:21
Good news. Come back refreshed, hopefully, to the regular report.
Eddie Dunn
32 Posted 18/03/2018 at 22:27:05
Ken, if you read this, when you have rekindled your enthusiasm, do give us some more of your reports. I always enjoy the descriptions, particularly the Room of Nonsense and the food wagons outside the ground.

It has been a bit of a trial for us all, but more to the loyal fans who go to the match (I rarely get to one these days).

Hopefully there are better days ahead.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

33 Posted 18/03/2018 at 22:29:03
What a relief to finally hear Ken is in as good health as watching Everton this season allows you to be!

As I previously stated, Ken's match reports are sorely missed and, without question for me, the single best matchday contribution on TW by a country mile and then some.

Like many, I look forward to the day Ken takes up his seat and pen again as his insight, wit and eloquence on Everton games is much needed at any and every time.

John G Davies
34 Posted 18/03/2018 at 22:37:34
Ken, along with George, is part of the match day ritual for me. Always a calm and precise report of the game.

Hurry up back Ken.
All the best.

Dick Fearon
35 Posted 18/03/2018 at 23:26:29
Our off-pitch Squad par excellence:

Lyndon. Michael, Paul T and Ken B. Halleluja!

Derek Thomas
36 Posted 19/03/2018 at 00:24:03
I'd rather read 1 report from Ken than 20 from 'proper' media/red top/red echo scribblers.

Labone nailed it; 1 = 20.

Get back on the horse, Ken... I look forward to 'Since I've been away from my seat' (you turn your back for 2 mins...) – An overview of the story(s) so far, now we're 'safe'.

Barry McNally
37 Posted 19/03/2018 at 01:24:47
Great news.
Bob Parrington
38 Posted 19/03/2018 at 07:09:05
Glad to hear the update that Ken and his mate are okay but, like many of us, are downhearted with our very ordinary appearances on the pitch.

Let's hope we can all look forward to a seriously better squad performance next season and maybe Ken will feel up to the task of writing his reports again!!

Paul Tran
39 Posted 19/03/2018 at 07:15:19
Ken, the main thing is that you're fit, well and 'enjoying' the match.

When you're ready, and only when you're ready, I look forward to those great reports of yours.

Martin Nicholls
40 Posted 19/03/2018 at 08:33:54
Good to hear – looking forward to Ken's next reports.
Christopher Timmins
41 Posted 19/03/2018 at 09:58:38
The best news of the weekend! Thanks for providing the update, Lyndon, it's a major relief to hear that Ken is keeping well.

Kevin Molloy
42 Posted 19/03/2018 at 10:29:52
Ken, I always read your reports, living in Kent it gives me that connection to Goodison and the local bluenoses that I miss so much on matchday. I only get to five home games a season so if you get a chance get back in front of that computer.
Mike Doyle
43 Posted 19/03/2018 at 11:13:33
Like other exiled blues, eg, Kevin (#42), Ken's reports provide the connection to the complete match-going experience.

And – a bit like Gareth Barry – you don't realise the true value until they aren't there any more.

Great to hear Ken is well and, presumably, still patronising the Room of Nonsense on matchdays.

Hope Ken's reports do return – even on an occasional basis. They'd be like a new signing!

Peter Mills
44 Posted 20/03/2018 at 21:48:13
Great to hear that Ken is okay. I hope he enjoys the sabbatical, there will be many who will be glad to read his thoughts if and when he decides to post again.
Gerard Carey
45 Posted 20/03/2018 at 22:45:55
Dare I say ToffeeWeb is a little bit poorer for Ken's absence. Like everyone else, I hope you are back soon, Ken, and that all is okay.

Loved the reports and the calm and informative way they were presented.

Tony Heron
46 Posted 23/03/2018 at 19:11:22
Like others have said, Ken, so glad you're okay. Hope to see your excellent reports once again, once the nightmare is over.
Lev Vellene
47 Posted 23/03/2018 at 19:30:35
Being a fan since 1977, from the north of Norway, and never having set foot near Liverpool (ouch!), I've loved those intimate match reports a lot! It has allowed me to see an approximation of how a local match day would be like if I ever could afford to go. So please get back as soon as possible!
Alan Rodgers
48 Posted 23/03/2018 at 23:29:32
Ditto to all the above. Your reports have been missed, Ken.
Matt Hunter
49 Posted 23/03/2018 at 23:36:48
Best feature on the site – he has been missed.
Dave Abrahams
50 Posted 05/04/2018 at 20:42:13
Only just noticed this thread. I'm very pleased that you are okay Ken, maybe you can drop a match report in before the end of the season, when we have done the impossible, a good win and a great performance, it couldn't be Saturday could it when the house of nonsense becomes the house of riotous fun.

Whenever you come back, Ken, you will have plenty of readers waiting to read your post.

Andrew Presly
51 Posted 05/04/2018 at 20:54:08
All the best to you, Ken.
Gavin McGarvey
52 Posted 05/04/2018 at 21:15:37
Hey Ken, I know how you feel, but have missed your match reports (they are the best). What is there to be said about Everton this season? Can't find the inspiration to write myself. Hope you are well, cheers Gav
Jamie Crowley
53 Posted 05/04/2018 at 21:58:38
I missed this original column / post, but would second Steve Barr @3.

You see the contributors on this site and you do develop a strange, internet-like fondness for many and hope for their well being.

Mike Gaynes's previous health issues and the immortal Harold Matthews (RIP Blue Mage of Merseyside) spring to mind. I'm sure there are others but I have the memory of a field mouse.

I'm happy that Ken is well, if only frustrated and thinking, "Fuck it why bother" with this season!

Jay Harris
54 Posted 05/04/2018 at 22:04:44
Ken,
HOPE YOURE READING THIS,

Everyone hopes you are well and we are looking forward to hearing from you and a return of your reports (no Pressure then).

It would be nice to start at the weekend with a win over the other lot!!!

Iain Love
55 Posted 08/04/2018 at 14:13:19
Ken's was the only report I looked forward to reading – win, draw or lose.
Christine Foster
56 Posted 14/04/2018 at 21:40:52
As a once avid contributor to this great site, I hope Ken finds solace in a good summer holiday! Sometimes loving Everton is not enough, life is hard enough without a few good Saturdays to make a week brighter!

I left the site and articles contributions a couple of years ago and now take a very much observers role to all things Everton, so I can well understand the need to step back.

So Ken, have a drink, have a rest, have a holiday, but always know you are welcomed back whenever you are ready.

Btw, you never leave really, you just think you have! Look forward to your inputs with a smile always!