It's a slow Everton news week in the international break, so I thought Toffeewebbers would like to hear that, by all accounts, fans of Besiktas - from where we bought Cenk Tosun, are all devotedly following Everton now!

Part of my job involves working with the Turkey office of my company in Istanbul and the MD there tells me that 8 million or so Besiktas fans, of which he is one, have adopted Everton as their English team!

I'll be at the Istanbul office in May and have been told I should check out the official Besiktas shops for Tosun Everton shirts...!

What a marketing opportunity for the Club. If only I had any confidence they'd take it...

Reader Comments (13)

Tony Everan
1 Posted 27/03/2018 at 20:16:57
Amazing, Mark,

The club should be organising a pre-season friendly against Besiktas as we speak. Get it televised and give the proceeds to a Turkish kids charity.

Why not foster some good will and get 8m fans on board.

It's a no-brainer.

Don Alexander
2 Posted 27/03/2018 at 20:30:07
I agree with the friendly proposal, providing our chief boardroom Turk remains uninvolved.
Peter Gorman
3 Posted 27/03/2018 at 21:44:18
It seems that every online video of our boy scoring for Everton is inundated with comments in Turkish praising Cenk Pasha.

Attention all very much welcome. On a side note; Cenk is one hell of a talent.

Brian Wilkinson
4 Posted 27/03/2018 at 21:44:35
Great idea Tony, you should submit that to Everton. You've got me on board with that idea.
Sandra Williams
5 Posted 27/03/2018 at 22:09:55
A great idea for a pre-season friendly match! Imagine a sell-out crowd, city centre full of Turkish visitors (spending their cash in the Everton shops and local businesses), making new friends and enjoying our hospitality. And who knows we may even have a lovely sunny day!! (and a new Manager in our dug-out!!)
Terry Farrell
6 Posted 28/03/2018 at 20:40:51
Mark I too work with a Turkish company and was in a bar in Istanbul when a guy who didn't know my team told me Everton are his favourite English team not because of Cenk but because he has always loved Tim Cahill.

Then LFC came out vs West Brom in the live match and a Lebanese guy walks up to the tv and continually sticks up the Vs to every LFC player as they walk out on to the pitch. I thought "I like it in here!" When West Brom scored, the place erupted. Looks like Liverpool aren't that popular in Turkey!

Mark Boulle
7 Posted 29/03/2018 at 08:04:18
Ha, excellent, Terry! A safe place for all Evertonians to go! I wonder why, maybe the Shite have had some controversial matches or decisions against Turkish teams in the past... Wouldn't be a surprise given that they are the devil's spawn, :)
Alan McGuffog
8 Posted 29/03/2018 at 08:16:11
Off on my annual three-week jolly in south west Turkey in a few weeks. Am I gonna milk this for all it's worth? Has the Pope got a balcony? Knowing my luck, the place will be full of Galatasary fans who want to tell me how much they love the RS. Ah well... another raki over here!
Matthew Williams
9 Posted 29/03/2018 at 11:12:54
We always play a foreign team at the end of pre-season at home... why not Besiktas?

Maybe we could make a cheeky bid for Talisca on the back of it too

Paul Birmingham
10 Posted 29/03/2018 at 22:32:05
It looks like a good idea...and it looks an easy win.

In the current plight of EFC on the park is tough and what goes on in the running of the club and the admin and decisions, who knows. This summer may reveal the direction of the next journey in the club's plans.

The Turkish people I know in the UK have a very good knowledge of football and life...

EFC, nothing is simple to do, and obvious to think it can be done.

Joe Bibb
11 Posted 04/04/2018 at 16:55:06
We had Tim Cahill in Australia and when we went there we didn't even take a tee shirt to sell.

We had Tim Howard in the USA – the same thing applied; don't expect EFC to do anything about Turkey...

James Stewart
12 Posted 04/04/2018 at 17:28:37
@11 Sadly sums it up doesn't it. When it comes to PR and marketing, we are truly pathetic.
Nicholas Ryan
13 Posted 04/04/2018 at 17:29:54
Isn't Talisca a very expensive single malt, from one of the Outer Hebrides?