Darren Hind, please help me out. 'The Burnley Egremont'? Tell me more, put me out of my misery!

Reader Comments (95)

Darren Hind
1 Posted 07/05/2018 at 13:19:07
When you went across to Birkenhead or Wallasey as a kid, you would almost certainly have boarded the famous Egremont.

I've got a feeling she was even the star of the Gerry and the pacemakers film.

A ferry boat, Mate

Paul Tran
2 Posted 07/05/2018 at 13:27:46
Cheers Darren. I remember it well. And he does turn just as quick! Though he has improved in a settled back four next to Jags.
Paul Tran
3 Posted 07/05/2018 at 13:59:54
Darren, now I'm getting nostalgic for those Sundays where me arl feller would take me to town (he worked on Saturdays) and we'd often end up at the old Pier Head getting the Egremont and was it the Royal Iris that went to New Brighton?
Keith Harrison
4 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:12:29
Darren, Egremont is a town here in Cumbria. It holds a 'Crab Fair (Fayre)' every year, and has been going hundreds of years. Among it's notable events are the 'Worlds biggest Liar" and "World Gurning Championship".
I have put Sam's name down for both - he'll absolutely piss them.
Darren Hind
5 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:18:35
I'm not sure Paul, I thought the Royal Iris went to the IOM, but my memory isn't strong.

New Brighton was a great day out back then, but when the weather was hot, I always wanted to stay this side, I remember as young kids we would ump on the train and we'd all be made up heading towards magical places like Freshy, Ainsdale, Southport. We never knew where we would get off - I think you had to actually pay for that privilege

Tony Everan
6 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:27:08
Darren

The MV Mountwood was the ferry used in the Gerry and the Pacemakers film and for the opening credits of the Liver Birds.

Your post got me reminiscing about the Royal Iris that was at the Stanley dock, I was reading about it's history.

The MV Mountwood was gutted and refitted and renamed ‘The Royal Iris of the Mersey ‘ , this new version still works I think, taking tourists up the Manchester Ship Canal.

Darren Hind
7 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:28:01
Just googled Egremont and found that Keith.

I wonder if Kenwright would be allowed to enter the biggest liar in the world competition - being a professional and all that like.

Not sure many outsiders would travel to Cumbria to attempt to win a gurning competition though . . it would be like I going to china to win a table tennis tournament.

Paul Tran
8 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:28:12
I grew up in Crosby, so I know Formby, Ainsdale, Southport really well. I was back in Southport earlier this year; it looked a shadow of its old self. Used to love going to New Brighton; me dad told me it was better than Blackpool back in the day.
Dave Ganley
9 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:35:51
The Royal Iris used to do discos up and down the Mersey years ago on summer nights, used to be a great night. Anybody else used to go on them?
Paul Tran
10 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:35:59
Funnily enough, Darren, when you mentioned Egremont I thought it was a reference to good Cumbrian folk. Couldn't make the link with Keane.
Paul Tran
11 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:37:36
Yes Dave (#98), went on one of those nights, great fun!
Eric Paul
12 Posted 07/05/2018 at 14:54:51
Tony
It still does the ship canal cruises of which I would recommend
Keith Harrison
13 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:13:51
Darren. Thanks for your wonderful insight on Cumbrians. 🤔🤔🤔
A lad from this village, his brother and Dad have all won the gurning mind. He was on the Bonjela adverts pulling his faces. Might have done something like Opal Fruits too.

The group It Bites "Calling All The Heroes" were from Egremont. Robert Plant did a surprise gig with them there last year.

I've checked, and you're right, Sam would be barred. They did ask what size horses halter you required, mind. 😁

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:34:33
"Gurning"???
Paul Tran
15 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:49:11
Contorting your face, Mike. YouTube it for the visual.
Neil Copeland
16 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:50:41
Scrunching your face up Mike, Les Dawson was brilliant at it.
Darren Hind
17 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:54:31
Just joking Keith, I'm aware of your devilishly handsome good looks.

Calling all the heroes. A brilliant piece which didn't get the recognition it deserved. Fantastic to hear It Bites are still going. I often YT it.

Gurning Mike ? its an old British custom, a competition where basically, the contestants twist and distort their faces to make themselves as ugly as possible.

Think 5000,000 RS whenever Man United win a trophy

Neil Copeland
18 Posted 07/05/2018 at 15:54:34
I used to go to New Brighton to watch the banger racing at the old football ground. Is the indoor fair still there does anyone know?

Also used to go to the outdoor swimming pool, was that Harrison Drive? I remember it had a high diving pool and the pool was, I think, 25ft deep immediately below the board. A great day out on a hot day.

Jay Harris
19 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:05:53
I have to confess too Dave but these days the Ferries just go around on tourist trips.

I'm pretty sure the Egremont was named after a place in Wallasey and used to do the Wallasey/Birkenhead run where the Royal Iris went to New Brighton.

Its really come to something when we get more fun out of discussing the ferries than Everton.

Dave Ganley
20 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:11:28
Neil #108 Yeah I remember the outdoor swimming pool although I thought it was in hoylake? All the same it was great on a hot day.

Haha yeah Jay, much more fun discussing the old ferries than the trials and tribulations of Everton at the moment.

Jay Harris
21 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:13:57
You lot inspired me to do some research on the ferries and I think this link is very intersting:- https://www.merseyferries.co.uk/about-us/Pages/100-Interesting-Facts.aspx
Jay Harris
22 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:20:08
Neil
The indoor fair is now called Adventureland and is like a kids playground.

Used to be a regular Sunday out on the Ferry to New Brighton. Spain was even thought of then and Rhyl was an exotic location.

Jay Harris
23 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:20:49
TYPO should have been wasnt
Dave Abrahams
24 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:23:08
Paul (97), I don't think New Brighton was better than Blackpool but it attracted people from all over the country.I worked in Manweb in Marsh Lane with a Geordie, I asked him how he came to be living in Liverpool, he said he met his future wife in New Brighton while he was on a weeks holiday there, even surprised me that, never realised people came on holiday to New Brighton, this would have been in the late forties early fifties.
Mike Gaynes
25 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:23:19
Darren, Paul, Neil, thanks, that's hilarious. I googled it and realized my mom would have told me not to do that, because my face could freeze up and stay that way.

Incidentally, that's what MY face looks like when Man United win a trophy. (What can I say, I hate all teams in red.)

Keith, I might have to come over and stay with you just to see that live. Can I book my usual room at the Harrison Hotel for September? I'll bring back all the silver from last time.

Keith Harrison
26 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:25:03
Mike 103, if you had to describe Sam to an alien in one word, Gurning tops it mate.
Mike Gaynes
27 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:28:13
Yep, Keith, the man is a born Gurn.
Paul Tran
28 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:32:15
Jay/Dave, you're right, Rhyl was very exotic in my childhood and me arl feller's New Brighton exploits were in the 1950s. Even when I was a kid I found it hard to believe New Brighton was once on a par with Blackpool.
Pete Clarke
29 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:37:33
To think of those things we did at 9 or 10 years of age down the lanny and yer mam didn't have a clue where you were !!
Running down the steel pier holders. Absolutely crazy stuff when compared to the way kids are wrapped in cotton wool these days,
I remember diving into the shallow waters near the castle in New Brighton and my face got stuck in the thick oily slime. Lucky it was soft or I'd have broken my neck.
Going back to Bobby Mimms. He was unfortunate to be second fiddle to the greatest ever but he would walk into our team now ahead of our player of the year, I reckon .
Brian Williams
30 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:39:53
Neil#108.
The swimming baths you remember was the Derby Pool. It was on Harrison Drive yeh and had that really high board. Spent all my childhood summers there.
New Brighton had a big swimming baths and there was one in Hoylake too. There even used to be one in West Kirby so that was four in a stretch of about 3-4 miles or so.
John Pierce
31 Posted 07/05/2018 at 16:59:39
Ah Ryhl, ‘me da took us just the once. One of three lads and never did he take us anywhere on his own!

One Saturday, he knocked us up out of bed early and bundled us all down to the station. One of the longest train journeys we'd ever taken as kids. We had no idea what was happening.

We got there and the Mecca we knew, Southport; pier, rock and little trains, was blown away by Ryhl; crazy golf, bright lights, a sea front which seemed to go on forever.

Then on to Prestatyn!

It never happened again but it was treasured more later in life when I realized than my arl ella worked like a dog and hardly took time off. Proper exotic that place.

John G Davies
32 Posted 07/05/2018 at 17:08:13
Brian,

Not forgetting New Ferry open air baths. You had to have a pair of plums to jump off the high diving board as a kid.

Tony Everan
33 Posted 07/05/2018 at 17:32:33
We got taken to Southport open air pool 45 years ago for a treat on days like today, with other kids and families my mum and dad knew nearby. Was like being on holiday .

Fun fact

Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath played there once in 1969 to a full house .

Paul Tran
34 Posted 07/05/2018 at 17:38:47
John #121, when I was a kid we had a few holidays at Pontins in Prestatyn, which seemed like going to the end of the earth at the time. I loved Rhyl as a kid.

Tony, I remember seeing Black Sabbath supported by Van Halen at the Floral Hall in Southport, think it was 1978. Great gig, that.

Neil Copeland
35 Posted 07/05/2018 at 18:39:11
I remember climbing to the top of the high diving board, looking down and my legs turning to jelly. I was with a bunch of mates so no backing out, I turned and walked towards the steps then turned back again, ran as fast as I could and jumped off. It was brilliant! You couldn't see the bottom of the pool from the top of the board.

We used to try and bunk on and off the ferry without paying although I don't really know why because I think it was a few pence each way. Must have been for the dare.

Neil Copeland
36 Posted 07/05/2018 at 18:42:04
Sorry, meant to add; Dave, Jay, Brian thanks for the info/clarification.
Dave Ganley
37 Posted 07/05/2018 at 19:03:12
Ah we used to go to Butlins at pwllheli used to have that swimming pool where everybody could see people swimming underwater. Used to love that place.
Andy Crooks
38 Posted 07/05/2018 at 19:08:09
Darren, I have agreed with a lot of your stuff lately but I knew it would end. " Calling all the heroes", would be in my top ten of the most toe curling piles of crap ever to offend the ears of humanity!
Darren Hind
39 Posted 07/05/2018 at 19:49:49
HaHa Andy

You probably remember the deodorised version seen on top of the pops when everyone thought they had to be Nick Kershaw or Go West.

Do yourself a favour; You tube calling all the heroes Tokyo 89. I stumbled across it years ago

At first you will think its a bananarama vid, but very quickly you will realise these guys are serious, serious musicians. Right across the band, drummer, base, Keyboard, lead Guitar and vocals . . Nothing like I expected

Beats watching Sam Allardyce's Everton all day long

Ray Roche
40 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:11:42
Brian Williams #120, Neil,

It was New Brighton that had the real high diving board.Harrison Drive was small by comparison. The deep end was over 20ft deep. When anyone climbed up onto the top board every bugger in the baths would watch to see if they'd chicken out. From above the baths looked like a shell with the water going from nothing to 20+ft. The buildings were Art Deco and it was a real shame that it closed .Many happy memories of going there when I was a kid. And swimming in the filthy Mersey.

Brian Williams
41 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:26:22

Number 11 shows New Brigbtons diving boards.

Brian Williams
42 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:29:23

Number 11 shows New Brigbtons diving boards.
Number 26 shows Derby Pool diving board when the baths was still called Wallasey baths.

Don Alexander
43 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:30:20
Good to read so many reminiscing about OUR heritage as Scousers. I remember being taken to Rhyl by me late Uncle Billy around 1960/1'ish. The reason was to see a hovercraft come into the beach from wherever. Unforgettable. That top board at New Brighton baths looked like it was in the stratosphere from the pool. It'd never be allowed these days cos a belly flop would probably be fatal on occasion. Madness. And that pool at Butlin's Pwllheli, mentioned by Dave (#127), would never get past the planners these days on account of it being a haven for voyeurs! Great memories for me though, so thanks.
Dave Abrahams
44 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:44:54
This has been a great thread, talking about our out of this world holidays close to home, I went with loads of kids to Moreton, Crosby, Southport, Woolton Woods, and lots of other places, the fun we had, going with next to nothing and coming back with more than we went with, great days, my own kids now grown have been to places I have only read about, but they always remember the holidays they had in Towyn with their mam and dad in the late sixties and seventies, and the Summer's were always hotter than they are now and that's not my imagination, Everton were most certainly better than they are now, I blame Mr. and Mrs. Moyes and the parents of Martinez, Koeman and and Allardyce for that.
Brian Williams
45 Posted 07/05/2018 at 23:46:03
New Ferry baths in Rock Ferry also had a high diving board. Learnt to swim there!
Tony Everan
46 Posted 08/05/2018 at 11:45:20
Back to the ferries,

It is a shame to see the original Royal Iris wasting away now on the backs of the River Thames . It is a sad sight.

Police were called to it a couple of years ago when it was taking on water. They found evidence of squatters that had been living on it and 'drug paraphernalia'.

They should put it out of its misery.

Brian Harrison
47 Posted 08/05/2018 at 12:04:30
Ah the Royal Iris had many an enjoyable night on the river cruises that they had on it in the summer. They always had a couple of groups on, mainly 18s to 30s made up the majority that used to use it. I remember walking down the floating gangway on a Friday or Saturday evening heading for the Royal Iris and this guy comes up on a scooter. My mate shouted a few obscenities at the guy riding the scooter turned out it was Gerry Marsden filming Ferry Cross the Mersey he came back and had a laugh over what happened. The director wasnt too happy with us spoiling his shot.

I said a few months back if they ever get to build our new stadium at BMD it would be a good idea to maybe to use the ferries to bring over the fans from the Wirral. Maybe renovate the Royal Iris and put it to good use.

Brent Stephens
48 Posted 08/05/2018 at 12:04:41
Dave #134 " they always remember the holidays they had in Towyn".

My gran had a caravan in Town (or Abergele?), shoreside of the main road. Used to stay there while my dad was doing it up. Small amusement arcade on site. Cross the railway and up the steps over the sea wall to a pebbled beach. Bogs always smelled of jeyes fluid or something like that.

Drove through Abergele, Towyn, Rhyl etc last year for the first time in 4 decades or more - for old times sake on the way back from Harlech. Couldn't believe the number of caravan sites etc, amusement arcades etc. Took me about 3 hours to get from Abergele to Prestatyn.

Neil Copeland
49 Posted 08/05/2018 at 18:13:11
I only ever remember jumping off the high board once, I think I must have lost my nerve after that.

I was talking about with my older brother today and he said there used to be an ex sailor with one leg who used to climb to the to and dive off. Everyone would be encouraging him and applauding. He would then pass his hat around for a collection. I don't remember that or know which pool it was but wondered if anyone else did.

Dave Abrahams
50 Posted 08/05/2018 at 18:20:10
Neil (139), I've read about this one legged diver, when he passed the hat around he would shout "Penny for the diver", so it must have been a good few years ago,asking for a penny.
Keith Harrison
51 Posted 08/05/2018 at 23:05:52
His name was Pennifore, Dave.
Ray Roche
52 Posted 09/05/2018 at 08:09:09
Dave, didn't the One Legged Diver dive off the Pier Head? I seem to remember that story from when I was a kid.Well before my time, I hasten to add!

Keith. Go and sit on the naughty step. That was terrible...

Darren Hind
53 Posted 09/05/2018 at 08:37:19
Tony @136

After reading this thread, a mate of mine phoned to tell me the Egremont is still kicking around too. He came across it down in Salcombe a few years back.

Alan McGuffog
54 Posted 09/05/2018 at 08:47:43
Ray..
I think he used to dive off the New Brighton pier as the ferry was pulling in. Then the hat was passed around the disembarking crowd. Think he was a relative of Stevie G la
Dave Abrahams
55 Posted 09/05/2018 at 09:42:42
Keith (141) Shurrup.

His name was Peggy Gadsby, True, born in Nottingham. Google it.

Keith Harrison
56 Posted 09/05/2018 at 13:00:00
Maybe thinking of HMS Pennifore, Dave.🤣🤣🤣🤣

That Gadsby was apparently great.

John McFarlane Snr
57 Posted 09/05/2018 at 15:53:03
Hi Dave [140] I heard about the one-legged diver when I was a youngster, and I used his catch phrase [as did many of our peers] many a time.

It was only in later life that I heard an explanation of the story, it appears that he did his diving in the vicinity of Perch Rock, New Brighton, and as he did so he would shout "Don't forget the diver"

I view this topic as an escape route from the desperate issues facing our club, I have written on a thread or two stating that I was against the appointment Sam Allardyce, but as with every manager of Everton, I would support him in his efforts.

I now feel that the Board of Directors must, when the West Ham United fixture is decided, announce the termination of his tenure; I await developments with bated breath.

Dave Abrahams
58 Posted 09/05/2018 at 16:02:20
John (148) " Don't forget the diver", yes remember that being used in connection with Peggy.

Keith, you won't go away will you? Maybe this story about a man with a wooden leg, will drive you awayIt's about a miracle that happened in Liverpool many years ago. A man with a wooden leg went into a Church and came out with a bundle of firewood. I don't remember the name of the church where this miracle occurred.

Keith Harrison
59 Posted 09/05/2018 at 16:43:07
Bet he was hopping mad, Dave?
Dave Abrahams
60 Posted 09/05/2018 at 16:46:56
Not really Keith, he sold the bundle of firewood to a woman who was passing.
Tony Everan
61 Posted 09/05/2018 at 16:57:09
Upon further research there was a dynasty of maimed divers from the turn of the century. Known for diving from Skegness pier off a 90ft high diving board.

Billy the diver 1902-1920 an amputee was the inspiration for

Peggy Gadsby ‘ the one legged diver' then took over and was followed by his son

Dare Devil Leslie, who amazingly had both legs, but unfortunately only one hand.

Steve Ferns
62 Posted 09/05/2018 at 17:02:00
Hi John, I hope your health is improving.
Keith Harrison
63 Posted 09/05/2018 at 17:07:43
Must be the way you tell 'em Dave!, totally lost me mate.
Me and religion don't mix.
Keith Harrison
64 Posted 09/05/2018 at 17:09:37
By the way, John, your nephew has gone missing since Saturday. He normally navigates home by the stars and it was a clear night, so I'm a bit non-plussed.
Hope he's okay.
Ray Atherton
65 Posted 09/05/2018 at 19:13:35

Did anyone go to Rivacre Valley open air baths.
My mates and me used to bike it on Sunday
mornings along the New Chester Road.

Being about 14 years old, happy days.

John McFarlane Snr
66 Posted 09/05/2018 at 19:49:45
Hi Steve, [62] yes, I'm getting stronger by the day, I've reached the fantastic weight of 10st 3lb, only another 1st 7lb and I'll be back to pre operation weight. I'm beginning to regret calling an end to my attendance at Goodison, I may do an 'Old Blue Eyes' watch this space.

I'm working on another theme, in an effort to put an end to the misery of the season, and my unfortunate medical condition, that saw me as a guest of Southport Hospital for seven weeks, five of which were 'nil by mouth'

Thanks for your good wishes.

Peter Howard
67 Posted 09/05/2018 at 20:35:56
The Isle of Man boat was called " Ben my Chree ".

Haven't got a clue what it means-perhaps someone can ask Mark Cavendish or Barry Gibb.

Martin Conroy
68 Posted 09/05/2018 at 21:08:02
Loved going to the open air pool at Harrison Drive back in the 60's and 70's, it was never as packed as the more popular New Brighton Pool and a natural sun trap. Used to get off the train one stop before New Brighton at Wallasey Grove Road and walk down from there.

I still visit the site on a regular basis now that it has been turned into a Harvester Pub/restaurant called "The Derby Pool".

Also remember going to an open air pool somewhere near Bebington when I used to visit a cousin over there in the late 60's but can't remember what that was called.

Tony Abrahams
69 Posted 09/05/2018 at 21:25:30
Great news about you getting stronger John Mc, which I knew would result in you reviewing, your decision never to go to Goodison Pk again!
John McFarlane Snr
70 Posted 09/05/2018 at 22:16:12
Hi Tony,[69] the only concern I have, is that I wouldn't want to have a bad turn with my grandson Josh in attendance, but his mother [my daughter] has said that she will drop us off and pick us up at the ground.

What has prompted me to think about returning to the fray, was an experience new to me, that of watching Everton on T.V. while playing a home game.
It all depends on how I progress during the close season, it may require a late fitness test.

I would like to thank the 'ToffeeWebbers' who sent good wishes, it just reinforces my opinion that Evertonian's are indeed special people, as I told Steve [62] I am working on a theme that I hope the powers that be allow to be published, it will keep me out of trouble and strengthen my one finger typing technique.

Steve Ferns
71 Posted 09/05/2018 at 22:58:24
Good to hear it John. If you're worried about having a turn, many on here Who go to the games would look out for you. The stewards are good in that way too. You'd be fine.
Ray Roche
72 Posted 09/05/2018 at 23:16:28
Gald you're on the mend John, looking forward to your next series. We could do with a diversion from the Fat Sam dominated threads!
Jay Harris
73 Posted 09/05/2018 at 23:20:22
Glad to hear you're on the mend John and I hope you get back to the old lady in good time.

Everybody on here is rooting for you so keep putting the beef back on and youll be back to your old self in no time.

How about a "legends" theme to follow on from favourites. That should keep you occupied.

Jay Harris
74 Posted 09/05/2018 at 23:23:27
Martin
I think youre talking about New Ferry pool in Port Sunlight.

I used to go out with a girl from there and we used to go for a dip after hours!!

Jay Harris
75 Posted 09/05/2018 at 23:28:36
Ray I used to go to Riveacre Valley. We used to get the ferry over and the bus from Hamilton square.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Crosby baths either. Had many a great Sunday there.

Our local was Margaret Street baths.

Does anyone know if Crosby baths still there?

What a great time we had as kids.

Ray Robinson
76 Posted 09/05/2018 at 00:09:30
Rivacre Road Open Air Pool? Yes, I lived on Rivacre Road for 10 years and had a season card there. A 16' diving board with a 14' deep end. I learned to dive one day and worked my way up the various boards all in one day. I'm a bit less daredevil these days. Standing on the Gwladys St end cost 6s 6d, I think then and my pool pass cost 14s a season.
Jay Harris
77 Posted 10/05/2018 at 04:24:17
The boys pen was only 1s 6d then Ray.
John McFarlane Snr
79 Posted 10/05/2018 at 11:26:19
Hi Steve [71], Ray [72], and Jay [73] thanks for the kind words, it's nice to know that people who have never met me can be so thoughtful. I used to jokingly say, "People who don't like me don't know me, and those who do know me can't stand me" but I didn't really mean it.

Ray, I too despair of the constant reference to Sam Allardyce, it's been done to death, the things we're reading now are the same things we read six months ago.

Jay, I am working on a theme now, it can hardly be regarded as a "Legends theme" and I'm thinking of calling it, "They also played their part".

I trust that the powers that be, consider it worthy of publication.

Tony Everan
80 Posted 10/05/2018 at 12:19:29
Jay

The old Crosby baths got demolished and they have built a modern one on the same land.

Looks a bit like a ufo.

Dave Abrahams
81 Posted 10/05/2018 at 15:14:25
John (70), when you make it back (think positive, John) ask your daughter to drop you off at St Luke's church, I'll be waiting with a large cup I'd Bovril for you.

It's been a long hard road for you John so carry on as you are and you will be on the subs bench, at least, on the opening day next season, Josh can sit with you.

Very best wishes, John.

Jay Harris
82 Posted 10/05/2018 at 15:48:24
Thanks for that feedback, Tony.

Had many a great time there.

John McFarlane Snr
83 Posted 10/05/2018 at 18:19:22
Hi Dave [81] that sounds good if anything is going to beef me up then Bovril should do it.

I've been giving some serious thought to how I would like to celebrate my 80th birthday, [Sunday July 15th] and I can think of nothing better than arranging a get together of any "Toffeeewebbers" who would be interested in such an idea.

I appreciate that a lot of them live outside the city but the ideal situation for me would be one of the pubs opposite Central station, I could get the train from Ormskirk, [resulting in minimal walking distance], if there is a good response I'm sure it would be nice to put faces to what are at the moment, just names.

I feel sure that our Nicki can arrange to have my SURPRISE PARTY for Saturday 14th what do you think of the idea.

Dermot Byrne
84 Posted 10/05/2018 at 18:40:29
John Snr - hope the pounds keep piling on.

3 things:

1. Talacre Bay: Just the words. What a place. For some reason my missus when young thought it was in Hawaii!

2. Saw Elvis Costello on an invitation only "do" on Royal Iris.

3. As a kid that loved ferries, also saw old Pier Head ferry jetty sink. Great memory strangely.

John Hughes
85 Posted 11/05/2018 at 03:10:03
Outside Zeebrugge Ferry Terminal Belgium there is a memorial to the Blockade of Zeebrugge in 1918 the 1st World War in the middle of the countless ships that took part are The Iris and The Daffodil the Mersey Ferry boats, they then became Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil.

And yes, I remember going on the Saturday night jaunts on the Royal Iris.

Gerry Quinn
86 Posted 11/05/2018 at 07:23:26
John McFarlane Snr - would dearly love to join you for your night of TW get-together and chat, but have already booked a few nights in the Scottish wilds for our Retriever "Quinny" - for her very own "re-union"

Check this out:

Hope you have a great evening, don't forget to send in the pics and stories of it all

Ray Roche
87 Posted 11/05/2018 at 07:33:53
Is Woolton Baths still open? Had many happy days there, as well as Dovecote Baths, sadly no longer there. We used to have a free pass to baths in the Liverpool area, almost all the kids could swim properly and there weren't many fat kids in school back then. Plenty of exercise and no TV!
John McFarlane Snr
88 Posted 11/05/2018 at 10:24:52
Hi Gerry [86] I hope you enjoy your break, I just thought that it would be nice to meet some of the 'ToffeeWebbers' who wished me well during my recent seven week stay at Southport hospital.

I know it won't interfere with your plans, but I had a lunch time rendezvous in mind, my birthday being on a Sunday. It may not happen at all, but nothing ventured nothing gained, on the other hand it may lead to something big.

After all, we have one thing in common, and I'm sure a myriad of memories to share. Once again enjoy your break, and keep watching this space.

Ron Marr
89 Posted 12/05/2018 at 02:01:20
Enjoyed reading all the posts. Loved the large outdoor pools in New Brighton and Southport. I went to Dovecot Baths every week and was a member of the Everton Swimming Association (or Club).

John glad to see you're feeling better and posting. Have a great birthday party. Would love to attend, but I live 6,000 miles away. I'm part of the Liverpool Diaspora. In 1978 I came to the US on a one year contract, which has turned into nearly 40 years in San Francisco, and have an American wife and six adult children.

John McFarlane Snr
90 Posted 12/05/2018 at 11:52:01
Hi Ron [89] I'm coming on in leaps and bounds, for every leap I take my 'young lady' says, "You're bound to come a cropper"

What an unfortunate time to relocate, the 'Eavenly Eighties'.

Regarding the possible get together with fellow 'ToffeeWebbers' it may never happen, but it would be nice to put faces to names.

What at the moment is just the germ of an idea may develop into something stronger, if so when it comes to toasting "Absent Friends" I'll make sure you get a mention.

Jay Harris
91 Posted 14/05/2018 at 18:04:36
John,
LIke Ron I am now in exile in Florida (since 2006). I miss the "Pool and the people especially evertonians but there is also an army of blues out here.

I wont be able to be with you but just wanted to wish you all the best and say you are a great contributor to the ToffeeWeb family and long may it continue.

Have a great day, best wishes.

Terry White
92 Posted 14/05/2018 at 18:42:31
Along with Ron (#89 - I lived in the Bay Area for over 30 years), and Jay (#91), as another exiled Floridian of a "certain age", I shall join in the good wishes to you, John, Sr. (#90). You are a true gentleman of an ilk that we sadly rarely see in this day and age.

Glad to read that you are feeling better. I am certainly looking forward to reading, and perhaps responding, to a "They also played their part" thread. I can think of one or two over my 60+ years of watching the club who could fall into this category. And also a "What might have been..." thread.

I hope to read that you have put together your July party. 81 is certainly a wonderful age to reach. And maybe by then, you never know, things may have changed for the better (again) at Goodison Park! I was speaking to an EFC friend in Southern England after Sunday's showing, talking about possible changes, and we came to the conclusion that, whatever may happen between now and the new season, we shall still be supporting the Blues, whatever the team, thrilled by a win, desolate by a loss...until the next game. And we are both over 70, will we ever grow up?

John McFarlane Snr
93 Posted 15/05/2018 at 08:20:16
Hi Jay [91] and Terry [92] thank you for your kind words, Terry you've just made an old man older, I shall be 80 in July, not 81.

Jay one thing you have I should imagine, is plenty of sunshine, if so, I envy you for that.

Terry someone suggested that I could do an article on 'Legends', and I thought why should the so called legends get all the plaudits? So I changed the title to, When 'Legends' were thin on the ground.

It features every player who represented Everton from 1946-47 to 1950/51 some only played one game, but I believe that they're worthy of recognition.

Terry White
94 Posted 15/05/2018 at 15:20:17
Apologies, John #93) for adding on another year. These birthdays seem to be getting closer and closer together. Enjoy it when it comes around.
John McFarlane Snr
95 Posted 15/05/2018 at 18:01:54
Hi Terry [94] no apologies necessary I think I'll tell folk that I'm approaching 81, they may say that I look spritely for my age.
Kenn Crawford
97 Posted 17/05/2018 at 03:20:21
Hi guys,

I've been living in Australia since 1974 and just reading this thread brings my childhood memories back to life born in The Wirral.

I spent many a bright sunny day at either New Brighton or Derby pools. The old New Brighton fair ground was a favourite haunt for my family, it even had its own tower. Ahhh... them days.