Who should we buy in January?

by   |   19/12/2017  90 Comments  [Jump to last]

I suggest no-one. We are not going to be relegated, we are not going to be top four, we could win the FA Cup with what we have and a couple of panic signings are unlikely to increase our chances.

I would like the coach to continue to give experience to our young players and develop them. I would like him to try different line-ups. Give Sandro a chance; give more game time to Lookman and Klaassen.

I would like Walsh to be keeping an eye on our players out on loan, planning what they can offer when they return and, most importantly, targeting a couple of really quality players in the summer.

This season is to be written off, short-term thinking will not develop our ambitions. Consolidate, plan, improve... I would not be sorry to see some go, in fact spirit might be improved by it. We are taking a step back but we could actually have been stepping over the edge.

I advocated Unsworth being given the job. Had he got it, I would have been pretty happy had the players achieved what they have. I believe that better football will come with confidence. I hope we use the rest of the season well. We spent badly in the summer – let us not do so in January.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (90)

Colin Malone
1 Posted 20/12/2017 at 12:09:04
I keep reading the gossip column and see Everton are after, Benteke, Walcott and Nzonzi in the next window. I first thought, why are we going for second-hand roses?

But maybe the potential of the young guns coming through, it might be good decision.

Matthew Williams
2 Posted 20/12/2017 at 14:30:29

Job done.

John Keating
3 Posted 20/12/2017 at 14:48:32
Fully agree with your reasoning and suspect you might be not far off the mark.

The only signing I think we should get in January for the long term is a left back and I have been a constant advocate of young Kiernan Tierney from Celtic.

I think we might get a couple of loan players in who might be in need of playing time with the World Cup coming up.

I would not like to think we would buy just for the sake of it, especially usual January overpriced players.

Regarding Unsworth. I am full of admiration for him. He did the best he could with the calamity he was left with. I don't think it was fair on him at all. Maybe one day when things are more stable but at the time and the situation we were in the right decision was made.

Stan Schofield
4 Posted 20/12/2017 at 14:59:40

The most basic thing is good organisation, which we are now seeing. No amount of transfer activity can make up for lack of good organisation. We have very good players, and we don't know yet how good they can become as a team, so let's see what they can achieve with good organisation.

Tom Bowers
5 Posted 20/12/2017 at 15:35:10
Whilst not being compact and tough to beat in the midfield area there certainly appears to be some good young talent learning their craft which should bode well for the future.

However, most of us want to see things improve now but the new manager seems to be getting a little more from the team overall especially people like Gylfi and Schneiderlin.

How that pans out over the next three tough games we will have to hope and see.

Some players seem to be fading from the picture and may be considered surplus to requirements come January or the end of the season. (arguably Klaassen, Besic, Sandro, and Mirallas) to mention a few.

The squad certainly needs another top striker but finding one halfway through the season is difficult.

Calvert-Lewin is still learning and Bolasie may be back soon but it appears Niasse is not rated as a starter and despite Rooney's 10 goals so far we cannot consider him an out and out forward player.

Jay Harris
6 Posted 20/12/2017 at 15:35:41
I have long held the view that a number of our squad are mentally fragile.

If we look at the top players they ooze confidence and have a "winning" mentality.

That is a gap we need to fill as well as our weakness going forward.

I would go for Danny Rose, Nzonzi and any one of Dembele, Dzeko or Giroud.

I would get rid of Schneiderlin, Besic, Klaassen, Sandro, Stekelenburg, Barkley and Mirallas which should generate around £100M and cut the wage bill drastically.

Iain Thomson
7 Posted 20/12/2017 at 15:44:38
I go with the nobody approach too. I'd far rather we get the young players games and get our expensive buys into position where they show some form (rather than sell them at a loss) than import new players on bigger wages with no guarantee of significant improvement at a time when prices are inflated.

If we could get that lad back from Belgium then Id welcome that.

Agree on Tierney but I doubt Celtic would sell mid season and he will get another league winners medal in June so maybe go for him then.

Jay Wood
8 Posted 20/12/2017 at 15:59:43
There is a case to be made that we could do with reinforcements in (for me) two notable areas: left back and lead striker.

That said, I could live with it if we didn't buy any one.

The club foolishly did not recruit for the two positions I mention and in the case of left back, doubly foolishly loaned out a number of players who could cover that role.

I would not buy for the sake of buying. Only recruit if a genuinely quality player is available at the right price and profile.

And do not get into long drawn out pursuits of players, as per Siggy in the summer.

As Stan says, let the coaching staff organize and improve the existing players more before seeing who and what we really need to recruit.

John Keating
9 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:00:08
Iain. The reason I mention Tierney, apart from him being a smashing player at his age, is that Celtic are streets ahead in the league and guaranteed to win it. He would get a medal anyway.

They are already out of the Champions League and although in the Europa League I doubt they will win it, Tierney or not.

The longer Tierney stays at Celtic his value will only go up and the lure of the "bigger" teams greater.

We have mentioned Danny Rose – would cost a fortune and why leave Spurs to come here? Luke Shaw seems to have not only injury issues but personal issues as well.

Others have been mentioned but for his age, experience, potential and probable cost Tierney to me seems the way to go

Winston Williamson
10 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:03:32
The priority must be to replace Jags, Baines, Williams and...Lukaku! In addition, to trimming our midfield.

I'd say if the right long-term Baines replacement can be found and is available in January, then get him. Same with replacing Lukaku.

However, anything else can wait till the summer. I don't think I could deal with anymore changes this season!

Brian Williams
11 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:10:42
James Stewart
12 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:16:17
Left-back and striker are priority. I would like to see incoming:
Dzeko/Giroud/Mandzukic type

Don't want deadbeats like Walcott, we have enough of them already.

Williams (wishful thinking)

John G Davies
13 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:19:44
John (#9),

The only chance we have of getting Tierney is to go in for him in January with a decent offer.

We wait until the summer and he will sign elsewhere. A great young player who is going all the way to the top.

Geoff Lambert
14 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:31:40
We need a striker and a left-back. God forbid we have any long term injuries to our strikeforce of Niasse and Calvert-Lewin and if Baines breaks down again, we might need two at left-back.

How can some of you say ship out 6 or 7 first team squad members and just bring in 1 or 2???

Frank Crewe
15 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:37:14
The chances of some big clear out in January are pretty remote. A two week window isn't long enough. I do think Sam may try to bring in one or two reinforcements such as Nzonzi, Kone, as they are players he has worked with so knows what he's getting and maybe someone up front. Don't forget, though Onyekuru will be coming from his loan at Anderlecht in the summer. So where does he fit in?

The amount of surplus midfielder players we have will probably have to wait until the summer. Although this will give Sam the opportunity to see if any of the peripheral players are worth hanging onto.

Steve Ferns
16 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:38:46
I don't think we actually need a striker, in terms of a centre forward. I do think we need goals, and that can come from the wings or the bench. I am delighted with the progress that Calvert-Lewin has been making.

My absolute nightmare would be for Troy Deeney to come in for £40M and then Calvert-Lewin sit on the bench for the rest of the season watching that yard dog lead the line as we stumble to 8th place, and no European competition.

If the season is to result in cup glory, and returning to Europe is not possible, then staying up, but developing youngsters, like Calvert-Lewin is far more important than grinding out results with yard dogs like Deeney and Nzonzi playing, whilst Calvert-Lewin and Davies watch on.

Iain Thomson
18 Posted 20/12/2017 at 16:47:06

That's fair comment.

I wish we'd moved for him and got Dembele last summer.

Mike Dolan
19 Posted 20/12/2017 at 17:05:23
I would like to see Sandro and Keane integrated back into the team with some real playing time. Our January priority should be a young left full back that could immediately take over from Baines.

A determination has to be made if Calvert-Lewin can lead a line score goals at this level. If the answer is yes then give him the time to grow into the position. I don't think he is a natural goalscorer though. I just hope we can resist the temptation of bringing some hack in just to throw their weight around. A genuine 9 for the future might be hard to come by in January.

Maybe the biggest immediate impact signing would be N'gonzo who would replace Schneiderlin and play in the Gareth Barry role of being the rock in front of the defense and behind the midfield.

Players to leave us: Mirallas, Schneiderlin, Besic, Robles. Players for the deep on the dugout bench ornament section: Jagielka and Baines.

Jon Withey
20 Posted 20/12/2017 at 17:30:22
The question should probably be 'Who should we sell in January ?' given we are out of the Europa League and demand will be at its highest.

Depends if any are tempted by Klaassen, Schneiderlin for reasonable money.

I think there are players we should be moving on like Mirallas and Barkley (assuming he won't sign a new contract).

There are also players like Besic who we barely use and I wonder if we should sell Stekelenburg or Robles and get some different competition for Pickford.

There may also be some youngsters that would do better elsewhere such as Tarashaj, Garbutt, Henen, Baxter.

To buy? Well it depends on availability and quality but buying or loaning a left-back, striker and central defender are still the priorities – but it doesn't look like we'll be relegated without at this point.

Tom Bowers
21 Posted 20/12/2017 at 17:40:05
There does seem an abundance of options depending on who you fancy to have around from hereon in.

Sam will have his own thoughts but some players faces don't seem to fit now. I suppose the biggest one will be Barkley as he is the only one who may bring a decent fee if he goes.

Besic has been the biggest disappointment after he was so impressive in his internationals before Everton signed him.

If the new, youngbloods that have forced their way into the reckoning over the past 12 months continue to progress then perhaps expensive signings may not be necessary next Summer.

Everything depends on how Sam and Sam can sculpture this squad into force capable of challenging the big guns.

Henrik Lyngsie
22 Posted 20/12/2017 at 18:04:13
I think we have a large squad we might need to trim a little bit. We do have a lot of quality and whoever we buy need to be top quality in order to improve on what we already got.

A young long term solution on left back would be my priority.

But like Steve in 16, I would not like Troy Deeney to replace Calvert-Lewin. We are not getting into relegation battle and we are not competing for Champions League. So please let the youngsters develop by playing Premier League matches. And then in the summer hand pick the areas where we need improvements. But it will be very difficult to find available players who will be interested in Everton and at the same time be an improvement to what we have.

Don Alexander
23 Posted 20/12/2017 at 18:14:40
Given the Kremlin-like silence we've had to put up with from our owner & board since the glorious three-year "p"-word was issued by Mr Moshiri it's reasonable to be drawing conclusions about said owner & board by the end of January.

If we sign nobody I'll conclude the board have shelved the "p" because with the best will in the world I don't think we have the potential in the current squad to get top six, never mind top four, regardless of who's manager.

Allardyce's 18-month contract will in the summer then become potentially problematic to meaningful recruitment because what sort of a message will our owner & board be sending out by such lack of commitment to their own manager?

In addition, we've seen how difficult some of our players have found "gelling" so can we afford NOT to sign players in January to bed them in fully gelled for next season?

Of course we'll have to pay top dollar because that's what tends to happen in January so, as if we didn't already know it, the owner & board oversaw yet another costly layer of cack by way of the summer antics, apart from the shambles on the pitch in terms of entertainment.

Paul Hughes
24 Posted 20/12/2017 at 18:20:42
A left back with pace who can step into the first team. Nobody else, we won't find a striker better than we have at the moment, because anyone in that category won't come in January to a mid-table team not in Europe.
Jay Woods
26 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:19:48
We still have not resolved the striker issue, we're suspect at LB, our central defence is one or two injuries away from crisis but... we should sign nobody?

And Unsworth deserved the job?

Have I stepped into a parallel reality here?

Not shocked that S Ferns thinks we don't even need a striker. I'm only surprised he hasn't suggested we should start every game with 2 goalkeepers and at least one player from our ladies team.

Iain Johnston
27 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:28:05
Why would he want Nzonzi for over £30m when we already have enough defensive mids and why would he want another right footed defender in Kone when we already have 4 of them, 2 past their sell by date and 2 with a decade's worth of service in them?

If we do bring in a central defender he has to be left footed surely?

I can't see us spending money unless we ship players out first for two reasons...

1) Allardyce has already said on numerous occasions how large the squad is when they're all fit and he can only pick 25.

2) I think the club has no transfer funds left, the clubs money went on Gylfi and Moshiri either can't or wont spend his own dosh.

My gut tells me Garbutt will be given a place plus i'm hopeful of Galloway being recalled.

If they rated Henen I think we would have seen him by now especially as we have no left sided winger option and they are trying to make the Donkor loan permanent.

John Keating
28 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:39:32
John G, (#13) – Yes John that's what I have said in my 2 previous posts. Get him asap.

Tierney is still only 20 and for sure ready for us right now. He will only get better.

If we are going to pay silly money in the January better to spend it on a young guy who can come in right now and not be out of his depth.

Chilwell, Rose, Shaw, Van Aanholt etc we would just be wasting money.

Charlie Lloyd
29 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:40:57
Lamine Kone from Sunderland is somebody I certainly don’t want.

He’s had a very poor last 18 months after 12 decent games.

Who’s currently playing at CB for Sunderland? A certain Tyias Browning. I’m not saying he is a long term answer for us at CB but even he is better than Kone.

Charlie Lloyd
30 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:42:35
I’ve seen enough of Garbutt to know that we need to sign a LB.
Philip Bunting
31 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:48:35
A left-back for sure. Not a panic buy in Jan but a future first-teamer. If we cant get move onto the summer. With Onyekuru and Calvert-Lewin I believe one more striker to be adequate in the summer.Until then plod on. Wouldn't mind Mahrez from Leicester thou and ship Schneiderlin and Klaassen out.
Terry White
32 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:51:05
While I agree that a replacement for Baines needs to be found, do we want to buy a "young, long term replacement"? What will this say to Garbutt, Galloway, Robinson, Connolly or indeed any of our excellent crop of youngsters in other positions? That we are willing to pay a lot of money to stand in your way?

What is the point of developing these youngsters of whom we read excellent reports if, when the first opportunity is coming their way, we go out and sign someone else?

Joe McMahon
33 Posted 20/12/2017 at 19:54:48
A left back and a proper striker (if we can get one). Left back is priority, I do feel harsh saying this but I don't want to see Baines play for Everton again. Yes he was brill for several years, but that ended at least 2 years ago.

He doesn't stop crosses, turns his back on goal-bound shots (who could forget Anfield in 2011?) and doesn't get forward anymore, and has been responsible for so many goals conceded for a long time.

John Keating
34 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:05:30
Terry if we go that route then we could say that about every position. Why get a centre half when we have some good young ones, same up front.

Unfortunately Garbutt and Galloway seem to have blown their chances.

It would be fantastic to bring all our youngsters through but left back is a position that should have been sorted ages ago. Cuco is trying his best but he'll never be good enough there. This needs sorted asap.

Steve Ferns
35 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:09:53
Terry, Galloway looked decent a few years ago under Martinez. He's had a few chances on loan since then and no one else has got a tune out of him and that is worrying. Garbutt it two years older than Luke Shaw, so you can't consider him one for the future, basically he should be in his prime right now, not trying to make a breakthrough. Connolly is really a right back, but had to play left back because of Kenny.

Robinson needs a couple of decent loans before he can contest a first team spot. So yes, signing someone like a left footed Jonjo Kenny who is of a good level but could get much better, is the way forward. See if we can get better out of Baines, and if not the new guy can make the slot his own, before Robinson has the chance to step up and challenge.

Phillip Warrington
36 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:23:03
I agree with the notion we don't need anymore players except a striker, certainly not another midfield player and defiantly not a £40 million Deeney-like striker.

The season can still achieve so much game time for the young players and some fringe players. I still believe Sandro playing off Rooney... will Calvert-Lewin become a good player or a player who is always going to be but never is? Chuck in Lookman with that as well.

Keane is he going to be our future centre-half – the only way to tell is give him game time. To me, the rest of this season should be to see if the players are up to it. I would say there are probably ten players that could be culled in January. Please do not add to this by buying overrated players at escalated prices.

Barkley should be sold if he doesn't want to commit to Everton. This is where Walsh stays or goes; if he can't scour the planet and come up with younger players with substantial more quality than Deeney and Nzonzi, then why are we employing him?

Sam is a great motivator and organizer and will definitely avoid relegation – we might even sneak into a Europa League place... but if we panic-buy in the January window, then we will be in the same position as this season; playing European teams now you need a little bit of quality not quantity.

Andrew Presly
37 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:30:24
Please can people stop talking about relegation. We’re Everton, we don’t do relegation and you’re being depressing.

Cheers and Happy Christmas.

Steavey Buckley
38 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:45:32
It is more a question who can be sold, as there appears there are players who are surplus to Everton's immediate needs at this moment. Also, I am not keen on players past 26 years of age in order to build a squad for the future.

There also players in the Everton Under-23s who are bursting to get into the first-team squad and players who are out on loan, who are doing well, according to reports. So it will be a question of 'steady as she goes' until next summer's transfer window.

Steve Ferns
39 Posted 20/12/2017 at 20:52:43
Has anyone seen much of Moussa Dembele this season? He got off to a slow start, recovering from injury, and has scored a few, but he's not attracting the rave reviews he was last season. SPL watchers is this fair and would he actually be a decent fit for us, ie is he better than Calvert-Lewin who is roughly the same age (Calvert-Lewin is a year younger).

Kasper Dolberg is another I really wanted us to sign. He's the same age as Calvert-Lewin. Kasper and Dominic have both scored 7 in all competitions this season, Calvert-Lewin in 29 games, and Kasper in 22 games. I think not breaking the bank for Kasper may well be a shroud move.

Alan McGuffog
40 Posted 20/12/2017 at 21:19:51
To my knowledge, we have been relegated twice. Everton does do relegation. Having said that, I think we are okay for now!
Paul Mackie
41 Posted 20/12/2017 at 21:25:53
Striker and a LB but only if good ones are available.
Jamie Sweet
42 Posted 20/12/2017 at 21:39:56
Imagine the uproar if we signed nobody in January.

Imagine the "Moshiri is a fraud" gang licking their lips and sharpening their pitchforks.

We are only 7 point off a place in Europe.

Everton should always be in Europe.

I think Sam is getting us well organised enough that we don't need a new team, but we certainly need strengthening in a few areas.

A few loan deals for players desperate to make World Cup squads wouldn't be a bad idea.

Brian Harrison
43 Posted 20/12/2017 at 21:40:49
Well we definitely need a striker, as long as it's not Benteke or Deeney – although both fit Sam's usual strikers model.
Dennis Ng
44 Posted 20/12/2017 at 21:54:31
Jamie 42, I second your idea. Unless we're going to get bang for our buck with an established striker and right back, I don't like the idea of signing older players and sitting our youngsters. A few loans to shore up the numbers would be good but I see the youngster being good enough to bring us further forward.
Danny Broderick
45 Posted 20/12/2017 at 22:12:39
We definitely need a striker. If we have aspirations of finishing in the top 8, we need more options up front than Niasse and Calvert-Lewin, as well as they have both done. I would try to get Giroud or Welbeck from Arsenal. The good thing is that there is a World Cup in the summer. There will be strikers out there not getting a game who will happily come to us, on loan if need be.

Steve Walsh had a shocking summer. It appears he didn't get on with Koeman. He needs to have a good January, or there will be more questions about what purpose he serves at the club.

Let's hope he unearths a gem up front and we finish the season strongly...

Len Hawkins
46 Posted 20/12/2017 at 22:23:41
Well some want to sign Nobody and some want to sign Somebody so it looks like Anybody could be coming in.

If Anybody suits Everybody then Big Sam has cracked it.

Christ, my head is spinning.

John Hughes
47 Posted 20/12/2017 at 22:34:31
We should do our utmost to sign Joe Bryan from Bristol City. He's a cracking left back, Man of the Match tonight against Man Utd. Watched him at Ashton Gate a few times this season and he's the real deal.

Superb going forward but a great defender and proficient with both feet. He mightn't want to leave City in January though if they progress to the final of the Carabao Cup.

David Pearl
48 Posted 20/12/2017 at 22:38:35
Robles, underrated and still improving. Baines and Jagielka; not respected. They can still do a job, just not week-in week-out. Baines is our only left-back and the only left foot in the whole squad.

Williams is improving. How about some support? And I'm sick of hearing booing of Schneiderlin, perhaps if he played forwards of Gana might help him (but maybe not).

Calvert-Lewin... so I've read we shouldn't buy anyone. Great idea. How about we burn Calvert-Lewin out along with Kenny, Holgate and Davies. Let's face it, it all depends on who is available. The season isn't yet lost. Deeney would not cost £40 million and if cheap enough would be a strong presence up top and would bring into play others to score.

It's a World Cup year and a few players might be available for that reason. Giroud maybe, Willian maybe. Mhkitarian is also surplus, Shaw can't get much playing time either. I do agree though that we have yet to integrate or see the best of any of our signings... with the exception of Rooney!!

We need to shape up and be ready next season and take off our blinkers. Koeman destroyed us. This is the worst football I've ever seen us play and we can't afford to stand still.

Paul Smith
49 Posted 20/12/2017 at 22:51:10
I think we need to get rid of some players to free up places and wages in the squad. Here is the list of players I would quite happily see the back of:

Stekelenburg, Besic, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Mirallas, Barkley and Sandro which could hopefully fetch us around £60 million. With this money I would try and get Tierney (Celtic), Zakaria (Borussia Munchen Gladbech), Embolo (Swiss).

This will get us to the end of the season with injured players back. Then in the summer it will be about moving on the ageing players like Baines, Jagielka and Williams, replacing them with younger more dynamic players.

If we got these players in January and the injured players back, the team would look a lot different and have a lot more pace which we are so lacking in.

Kevin Tully
50 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:18:56
I think we all tend to overrate our young players, and have done for years. The chances of any of the current crop projecting us into the Champions League are slim to none. Calvert-Lewin is not the next Harry Kane or Romelu Lukaku. He may go on to be a competent Premier League player, but aren't we supposed to be in an ambitious phase of challenging the new order of the top 6?

We all like to see local lads playing for the first team, but as per, our judgement is clouded by sentimentality. We all thought Rodwell was the next big thing, but he turned out to be supremely average. Harsh realities of the Premier League I'm afraid. I think Chelsea have something like 70 players out on loan at various clubs, all probably as good as our youngsters. What chance do they have?

I'm not saying for one minute these lads aren't good enough, but in all likelihood, they won't prove to be the players to take us to the promised land.

There's a simple reason we haven't won anything for 22 years, the players on the pitch aren't good enough to win a trophy.

Geoff Lambert
51 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:20:58
Let's see how our current squad do with a run of 4 games in 9 days, including Chelsea and Man Utd, we need to make the Old Lady in to a cauldron.

Peter Lee
52 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:28:50
Enough in the squad, appropriately handled, to keep us ahead of relegation.

Judging what we have going forward though we totally lack balance. Left footed left-back, centre-back, and left-sided wide player, striker too. If any likely candidates are available next month, get them in. Otherwise, plenty to ship out.

Michael Lynch
53 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:43:31
Steve @16

Exactly – I doubt if we would find a better centre forward than Calvert-Lewin right now. He's going to be a very good player, and the experience he's getting has probably accelerated his career by about three years.

His ball control and his leading of the line have been superb lately. What we need is another player to contribute goals, someone with pace and finishing. I know we're linked with Walcott, and like many I have my doubts, but he is probably the kind of player we need.

What we don't need is the likes of Benteke and Deeney, in my opinion.

Joe Clitherow
54 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:45:35
I can understand the logic but I think it is flawed. Why? Partly because it is a World Cup year which means that summer prices get inflated and there is generally more movement than usual, and partly why should the rest of the season be 'written off'?

If there really are no more surprises this season – and we haven't enough started the FA Cup yet. irrespective of who we have to get past – isn't it better to have at least a top striker available for that competition, and to have experience of Premier League under his belt?

Realistically, if the club has targets, they need to get them in at the first opportunity for a couple of reasons; namely that lack of decision means targets disappear or change their minds which can leave you scrabbling, and also it is far better to give players the benefit of a half-season in the Premier League this year rather than a half season at the start of next. Like it or not, a few pre-season games over the summer are nowhere near real game time. Far better to have players bedded in ready to go next season.

Plus we need a few players, definitely closer to 5 or 6 than 2 or 3. we tried bringing large numbers in in a single window last summer and it never ever works, irrespective of who we actually signed.

Every window needs to be working for Everton right now; we should not pass up the opportunity to gradually strengthen.

Jon Withey
56 Posted 20/12/2017 at 23:58:32
The squad isn't going to be rebuilt effectively in January – patch-up job at best.
Drew O'Neall
57 Posted 21/12/2017 at 00:41:57
Get to a position of safety and spend the rest of the season with Sandro upfront and Klaassen in midfield, giving them plenty of practice in the Premier League until they are up to the job.
David Israel
58 Posted 21/12/2017 at 01:20:59
'Everton loanee Henry Onyekuru "always lets himself down", according to Anderlecht coach Hein Vanhaezebrouck in the wake of their 5-0 loss to Club Brugge.' Says the Echo.
Si Cooper
59 Posted 21/12/2017 at 01:26:07
Why nobody? Just because the January window tends to deliver more duds than aces doesn't mean it's impossible to find someone worth the effort.

Sam Allardyce has an 18-month contract. If he is serious about making this the pinnacle of his managerial career then he is going to want to improve the team every chance he gets.

Even with a couple of returnees there is plenty of scope to make a start on the improvements, though I would expect a bit of a clear-out to happen as well.

David Israel
60 Posted 21/12/2017 at 01:48:40
I wouldn't be so adamant about not signing anyone. It all depends on who becomes available and at what price. And this window is usually mostly about loans, so why not?

Have we become satisfied with our sudden recovery up the table and are happy to sit where we are? And what if we embark on a good Cup run?

Alan J Thompson
61 Posted 21/12/2017 at 02:10:24
It doesn't appear to be as easy as trying to decide if players should be bought in January, season's end or at all.

Being a World Cup Finals year a lot of players probably won't be available for all pre-season training. Then a decision must be made about those players out on loan.

Given the success of Kenny and Holgate would others improve with a longer 1st team run? How many central defenders are in that number? Galloway, Browning, Pennington, Connelly and if we bought a more experienced striker would we play Calvert-Lewin, Dowell, Onyekuru, Lookman or Vlasic alongside.

It appears that there are more questions than answers without touching on Robles possibly departing, Garbutt and Robinson as possible left back.

How much does Mr Allardyce get for doing this and does it question Mr Walsh and his staff's future role?

Bill Gienapp
62 Posted 21/12/2017 at 05:33:23
This is certainly a far more sensible and reasoned thread than a month ago, when people were hysterically claiming we needed to bring in a dozen new players in January and spewing utter nonsense like we should beg Swansea to take Sigurdsson back for fifty cents on the dollar.

BTW, why are people so desperate to bring Galloway back? If he can't cut it in a truly dreadful Sunderland side that's on the fast track to League One, what makes you think he'd be any help to us?

John G Davies
63 Posted 21/12/2017 at 07:08:09
Another problem for us is the "School of Science" bollocks.
We need to "play the Everton way"

Apart from the odd run of games this is a myth.
We haven't played a sustained run that way since the mid eighties.

Laurie Hartley
64 Posted 21/12/2017 at 08:15:05
The manager stated in an interview that a managers first signing is his most important – and basically if you sign the wrong players you get the bullet.

So I expect him to sign perhaps one player only in this window – Nzonzi.

I think a two or three will go – Mirallas, Robles, and possibly Schneiderlin.

The problem as I see it is that the only players / positions that will improve the team are a left-footed full back, left footed centre half (6'-2") or over, and a top class front man – but these are always the hardest positions to fill.

If we can't pick up a player that meets the criteria then signing anyone else seems pointless to me.

Jim Lloyd
65 Posted 21/12/2017 at 08:28:59
I don't think the "School of Science" philosophy is bollocks, nor is it a myth. I think it's a footballing philosophy that we should always aspire to. I was lucky enough to see a great side (arguably 2) in the Sixties, where the football was just poetry in motion. We didn't just beat teams, we beat them with a superb emphasis on footballing skills which left you longing for the next match to come along.

We did it again for all too short a time in the Eighties and during the first season of Martinez reign that philosophy flickered into life again.

I don't think we should ever lose the aim of our forefathers. Because we have been let down by a succession of Boards over decades (particularly the last bunch until Mr Moshiri came) is no reason to give up our aspirations.

As for who we should buy (if anyone) in January, I'm I'm happy to see the best manager we could ever have got, in the position we were in, make the decisions. My guess is that he will only buy outright, players who he would feel comfortable with buying.during the Summer.

He might get one or two on loan and, according to tittle tattle "news now everton" he's interested in Nzonzi, who Crouch reckons is as good as Viera.

We've got so many players out injured, and players who don't look like they are going to make it in the squad, that it would seem unlikely that Sam will just buy to get us through the 2nd half of the season. It would only be if we were felt to be in danger of falling back into relegation, would he buy anyone who didn't fit into his preferred plans to take Everton on in the Summer.

We've got James McCarthy, who during his first season, got me thinking he would be a future Captain of Everton and if he can recover his fitness is a good player. Barkley? Well! If he stays until the summer, we have another first team squad player to add to what we have. Bolasie is just about ready for first team duties. Bainesey is another player who we wait for to regain his fitness. So we aren't too badly off. I don't know how long Seamus is going to be out, so we might need cover in the full back position.

As everyone knows, buying anyone in January is likely to be premium cost for maybe not the first choice of player. So, unless we can unearth a top striker that is going for a decent price and perhaps a couple of loan players who might be with a view to buy, perhaps we can get through the next half of the season with what we have.

Jim Lloyd
66 Posted 21/12/2017 at 09:38:00
I was just thinking about the players we've got in the "31" that Sam mentioned. I wonder if we can keep around the position we're in now (first priority is to ensure our Premier League status; and we're not there yet) it might allow Sam some sea room to try out some of those players. Well, the ones who he thinks might be okay, given time to adapt, then if not, sell in the summer.

I know it's different leagues and ours is high pressure, but Davy Klaassen was the Captain of Ajax, scored a lot of goals and contributed to more last season and he might well come on if he can adapt to the pace of the Premier League.

Same with Sandro (if he isn't sold in January) who again might prove to be useful for us in the next half of the season. I'm not sure if Besic will ever make it, after he started off quite promising but young Vlasic looks to be useful.

So we do have some reserve of players if they can settle in for the next half of the season.

Tony McNulty
67 Posted 21/12/2017 at 09:50:58
Steve Fern (16)

TW doesn't usually frighten me or put me into a state of panic. However your second paragraph represents one of the most disturbing scenarios ever depicted on this site.

Some posts should have a pre-warning attached like they do on the news e.g.: "Some viewers may find the following scenes disturbing", or "The following pictures contain flash photography."

Paul Tran
68 Posted 21/12/2017 at 10:02:27
I'd try a cheeky bid, but we have more chance of knitting fog than getting Tierney. He's a big Celtic fan living the dream. When he leaves Parkhead, he'll be going to a bigger club than us, I'm afraid. Cracking young defender.

I can see a fair few departures and Sam bringing some of his 'own men' in.

Whatever we do, I hope we're very selective.

Sam Hoare
69 Posted 21/12/2017 at 10:55:14
Depends what or who is available. I certainly don't think we need many more players for what are our modest ambitions for rest of the season.

The main gap I see, like others, is left back. Galloway has done nothing, Connolly is playing in midfield, Garbutt has gone backwards and Robinson is doing Ok at Bolton but might need another loan next year. None of them look ready to hold down LB for us.

Joe Bryan at Bristol City is a good shout and apparently we've scouted him a few times. Tierney would be interesting. No way are we getting Rose. Shaw is still young and worth exploring if he can convince Sam that his personal issues are behind him.

My ideal window would be something like:

Tierney- £20m
Giroud - loan
One or two more purchases for the U23 team which is faltering in their title defense.
Plus Bolasie and Coleman back at previous levels.

John Crook
70 Posted 21/12/2017 at 13:57:38
In the same way that mass recruitment (last summer) was pretty disastrous, mass exodus could be equally disastrous. I think the vast majority of fans are playing Championship Manager when the list all the players you have pissed you off and want to get rid.

I think a reasonable January transfer strategy to consolidate the decent start Sam has made would be the incoming of a left back able to go straight into the first team straight away. The fact we were left with only Baines who has not been at his best for 3 years and never last the full season was an absolute disgrace.

I think the emergence of Holgate is possibly a reason we don't need to rush to buy another centre half. I think in this write off of a season Williams and Keane can be rotated and hopefully Keane will improve once he gets a chance to get back in the team.

Obviously another striker should be the other incoming player in January. We have to assume the quotes about Sandro wanting a return to Spain are true. I know Benteke would raise a few eye brows on here, but when he is on fire he is a beast and you won't find too many better strikers in the air (just keep him off the penalties).

In terms of outgoings I think the only certain departure will be Mirallas. I think his ship sailed a couple of years ago but the fact he only signed a new deal last summer means we can get a half decent transfer fee for a player who is top notch on his day.

As mentioned above Sandro will probably go back to Spain and if we don't regain the £5 million we paid then its hardly a financial disaster based on the amounts in today's market. And perhaps Klaassen should go back to Ajax on loan, as he simply hasn't hit the level required to play in this league yet, but there still might be hope for him.

Whilst I think Steven Nzonzi is a decent player, I think that would only happen if we sold a few of our midfielders such as Besic, McCarthy and Schneiderlin, and I need to be consistent in my argument and say mass exodus is a bad idea in the January market.

The only name I haven't mentioned is Barkley. I have a sneaky suspicion that Sam will play him this month and he will stay. And hopefully Barkley will become that player he should become!!

Alan J Thompson
71 Posted 21/12/2017 at 15:48:30
Bill (#62); I'd like to see Galloway given a chance, like Holgate, in his preferred position as a central defender. What players do out on loan is not always a true reflection of what they can do and I sometimes wonder why we think a lower level coach will improve them.

Also, he looked quite competent when filling in at left-back during Baines's injury a season or so ago. It may be nothing but I sometimes wonder what it does for a young players confidence to be signed by a club with Everton's reputation only to find yourself loaned out to something at best only equal to where you started.

Russell Smith
72 Posted 21/12/2017 at 16:19:50
In the short term we might all want another influx of players but in the medium term, starting next year do we really need that many new faces? Allardyce has settled everything down, he is playing the same quite small band of players, with the same system week after week. Small tweaks not wholesale changes. So why would we want to revert to the early season merry-go-round trying to integrate new signings just as we have steadied the ship.

Other than a left-back and possibly a centre-forward I don't think we should lash out a shed full of money on another set of untried and untested foreigners, or past their sell by dates failures from other teams. We need to give our younger players as much game time as possible this year, as they will either grow into what we all hope they will be, or they will show where our real deficiencies are for next season and this could then be addressed in the summer.

Looking towards next year specifically our squad could be better balanced by the return of our loan players specifically Dowell and Onyekuru , together with Bolasie once fully fit.

If Lookman and Vlasic are given more opportunity this year then our wide midfield areas will be well covered with exciting talent. Add to that Lennon who is constantly under-rated but whose presence in the team almost always coincides with our best runs of results and those areas are well covered.

Attacking Midfielders: Rooney, Sigurdsson, Davies (and Vlasic) possibly Klaassen although I have my doubts he will ever be up to the pace of the premier league. So again well covered.

Defensive midfielders: Gueye, Schneiderlin, Baningime, Davies
Right back: Coleman and Kenny, Left back New Signing and Baines with Martina retained as cover for both sides.

Centre-backs: Holgate, Keane, Williams (playing much better and more consistently under Allardyce) Fumes Mori.

Finally forwards Calvert-Lewin, New Signing, Niasse and possibly Sandro dependent on how he shows over the remainder of the season.

So we could loose Mirallas, probably Barkley, Besic, and McCarthy from the current squad without having to replace any of them directly. If we are not in Europe then we do not require 30-plus players in the first team squad, and as with Moyes teams a smaller tighter band of players will create a real team spirit.

Michael Williams
73 Posted 21/12/2017 at 16:57:58
If we can't get top quality this January then forget it. The squad is filled with average and just above and below average players and we don't need any more. I would not even get a left back right now unless it is someone of real quality.

Gel the team, sort out the youth, build up the value of players we can move and focus on buying good young players for the future and hopefully a real quality player.

Ian Bennett
74 Posted 21/12/2017 at 17:13:16
A left-back, left-sided centre-back and striker are badly needed.

On the block will be Besic, Barkley, Mirallas, Niasse, Klaassen, and Sandro. Can't help but think Jagielka might go if he's not playing games and Sam gets a centre-back in.

Iain Johnston
75 Posted 21/12/2017 at 18:17:03
Bill (#62), Sunderland have only played him 7 times in the Championship, he's wasted as much there as he was at West Brom.
Lev Vellene
76 Posted 21/12/2017 at 20:21:47
We were all fired up by getting Klaassen, Sandro and Keane! All young, and thus able to grow into the new Everton we all wanted!

Everton played shite all of the early season, and all of those three players ended up outside the XI Allardyce chose to stay with after the initial success! Those he kept were equally shite before that, so don't be too hasty in dismissing potential we never got a proper look at!

Klaassen doesn't fondle the ball, he's looking for quick passes, so he could become invaluable for us once both he and the team settles into a state of non-panic!

Keane was derailed by Koeman, who tried to make him into a Stones with good defensive skills, and thus stopped him being what we bought him for!

Sandro will need time to recognize the Premier League way of play, but if we can give him some time, we should see him harry the opposition equally to Calvert-Lewin and Niasse. Just get him someone to play off...

Ian Horan
77 Posted 21/12/2017 at 20:57:04
How about Slimani as centre-forward, Robertson from Liverpool. Possibly Welbeck...
Brian Williams
78 Posted 21/12/2017 at 21:04:54
Aubameyang, Nzonze, Benteke, Dembele, Walcott, Lozano. Just a handful of names we've been linked with and a handful of names who we won't be getting in January (or any other time for that matter).

I'm not playing the "Ooh... who WILL we get" this time?"

Been disappointed too many times. Seen the rumours come to nothing too many times.

Lev Vellene
79 Posted 21/12/2017 at 21:24:36
If Garbutt is deemed 'not fitting', then a left-back and maybe an experienced striker. I'd take Feeney as a deputy in the defense any day! The few games I saw him (Europa League included), he looked calm and in control.
Rob Dolby
80 Posted 21/12/2017 at 21:54:48
The lad from Bristol looked good last night. We also need a left-mid, left centre-half and at least one proven striker.

I wouldn't bother with Nzonzi as I think that Joe Williams could force his way into the squad next year and Schneiderlin can already do that job.

We can't do nothing as the squad was unbalanced beforehand with quite a few aging players that are past their best.

We can ship out a few, Besic, Mirallas, Stekelenburg, Barkley and send a few on loan.

Tony Everan
81 Posted 22/12/2017 at 18:01:02
This window we will get a striker and a left back. I too would like Tierney and think we should make a decent offer for him. I think we would have more chance of Celtic selling him than Bristol City selling Bryan when chasing their pot of gold. Both full backs looks talented and would benefit coming to us.

Striker? Firstly, I would keep Niasse as cover and impact sub, he is a nuisance who can always poach a goal.

Calvert-Lewin has done nothing wrong in my eyes and I don't want to see him sidelined but all the top clubs have a varied strikeforce. They can rotate and change the game with quality reinforcements and have ready replacements for injuries... We need this if we are to break into the top 6.

I think Sam will want Giroud or a similar profile of player if possible. Tall, good in the air, can shoot too. We have some good crossers of the ball now an experienced striker like that could get 15-20 a season for us. Giroud or similar could see us mixing it with the Sky 6.

Alan J Thompson
82 Posted 23/12/2017 at 03:24:54
The BBC site has an article saying that Lukaku is unhappy at United. Hate to think what that may become at the next international break.

The more things change...

Steve Brown
83 Posted 23/12/2017 at 04:21:38
Jim (#66), I agree that selling Klaassen and Sandro before giving them a chance to come good is a mistake. Sharp, Heath, Steven, Reidy would not have lasted stayed to lead us to glory if we had applied such hasty judgements to them.

Mirallas, Besic, Barkley, Robles, Garbutt and Tarashaj can all leave; I'd allow Jags to leave as well if Funes Mori was fit. We need a left-back, centre back, central midfielder with physical size and technique plus of course a forward. So Luke Shaw, Jonny Evans, Steven Nzonzi and Dzeko would be a great addition to the squad.

And a resounding no to Van Arnholt, Tomkins, Kone, Benteke and all the other Allardyce 'lags' that we are being linked with. The next thing we'll hear is that Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies have been defrosted from their cryogenic pods to come and save us.

Barry McNally
84 Posted 25/12/2017 at 16:04:38
I understand Brighton have agreed an £18m fee with Celtic for Dembele.
Raymond Fox
85 Posted 25/12/2017 at 17:55:11
It depends what the owner(s) think of Sam, will they want to retain him longer now that they have seen a short sample of him doing what he does! If on the other hand he is only going to be here for the 18 months, they won't want him spending big bucks.

Giroud on loan would be a more than useful addition but he would only come if he was guaranteed to play every match! I wouldn't turn my nose up at Deeney, I think he might surprise a few, but would the owners fancy him? I'm in the 'not that bothered if we don't lash money out in January' camp, as I think we will finish top 10 with what we have now.

I fancy Barkley will sign another contract with us, Funes Mori is a forgotten man who we have to return, but maybe not this season so I suppose that's not relevant to January. I don't agree with selling Robles unless he wants to go; same applies to McCarthy although on past evidence the lad is very seldom fit.

Paul Tran
86 Posted 25/12/2017 at 17:59:23
I like Dembele, Barry, but he's had a chronic loss of form up here recently. May have cooled any interest.
Tony Everan
87 Posted 25/12/2017 at 21:55:02
Loss of form in the Scottish league doesn't bode well for finding it in the Premier League.
I think Dembele may not have the mettle for the toughest league. There has got to be better options out there.

Len Hawkins
88 Posted 25/12/2017 at 22:03:03
Offer £35mil for Lukaku now he's found the hill is just as brown on the other side.
Alan J Thompson
89 Posted 26/12/2017 at 06:10:40
Ray (#85); I wouldn't sell Robles either but I believe he is another whose contract expires at season's end. Unless there is still news to come out of Mr Allardyce's one-on-one interviews with the players, he doesn't seem to have been offered a new contract. He will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement (or whatever it is called) with another club in January.
Alasdair Mackay
90 Posted 30/12/2017 at 22:29:10
We need to sell players.

We have a massive squad with NO balance.

GK and RB is sorted. We have 3 centre-backs who have numerous international caps between them, another 2 (Holgate and Keane) with massive potential and Pennington to come back from loan. So we don't need a CB - we need to give the ones we have time to gel.

Midfield is ridiculous - Besic and Klaasen can't get a game and are clearly surplus to requirements (despite both having international pedigree). McCarthy is always injured and offers no goal-threat and Schneiderlin's form has fallen off a cliff this season. Add to that Tom Davies, Idrissa Gueye, Gylfi Sigurdsson and the loan stars who are ripping it up away from Goodison in Callum Connolly, Joe Williams and Keiran Dowell. Oh and Beni Baningime appears to be part of the 1st team squad now. And Wayne Rooney. That's 12 players for 2 or 3 positions. Not including Ross Barkley - ridiculous.

Wingers include Bolasie, Mirallas, Lookman, Lennon and Vlasic - who all will want more game time than they are getting. We are over-stocked.

Even the much-maligned CF position is stocked with 3 players for 1 position - the improving Calvert-Lewin, Oumar Niasse and Sandro Ramirez.

It's only LB that we NEED to sign, and GK and RB that we can leave alone.

Every other position group on the pitch needs numbers taking out before we start adding more unhappy millionaires!

Thanks Ronald, you clown!

Alasdair Mackay
91 Posted 31/12/2017 at 12:12:09
Add Onyekuru to that list of wingers by the way. So for a total of 5 midfield positions we have 18 players competing.

And we still can't seem to find a balanced team!

John G Davies
92 Posted 31/12/2017 at 12:23:59
I was going to say put a bid in for this player.
Looks like he has gone though.

Tom Bowers
94 Posted 01/01/2018 at 14:26:57
Well now the rest of the season looks pretty glum doesn't it?

Very few players worthy of any praise so there should be a big clear out this month or certainly the end of the season.

Almost certainly new blood needs to be brought in this month to turn the season around and get the Blues playing some decent positive football.

The cynics will say it won't happen under Sam but it didn't happen under Koeman either.

The youngsters have not really progressed much since last season but we cannot blame them.

All around it's been one big mess, one that is just unacceptable for this once great club.

Performance levels have been pretty much abysmal from one game to the next except maybe for Pickford.

It's a new year and hopefully a new beginning but with the games coming up one cannot be too hopeful of the results.

If they fail miserably again today I suggest they put out the under 23's against the Shite as they sure as hell won't be as bad as these 'first stringers''.