We disappoint me!

by   |   20/03/2018  24 Comments  [Jump to last]

I'm sorry to say this but I am referring to a segment of our own fanbase. (Great way to start by getting everyone onside, eh?) Here is where our fickle minority have an impact.

ToffeeWeb has been running a poll for the last week or so as to whether Sam Allerdyce should remain at the end of his 18 month contract. Not only does the prospect of another year petrify me personally but the question pertains to renewal of the contract after that!

We have had two wins at home to a weak Brighton and away to a struggling Stoke. Both of these teams were down to ten men, the former for the last ten minutes and the latter for over an hour and yet we barely scraped a 2-1 win there!

All of the luck that went against us before Allerdyce joined has largely been going for us since he arrived. Liverpool should've been 4 or 5-0 up when we got the accurate penalty to get a 1-1 draw. Newcastle hit the woodwork twice when we beat them 0-1 in the next game and that was the pattern of Allerdyce's tenure thus far for me. Just about getting points courtesy of luck. He has the audacity to try to take credit for the West Ham 4-0 win, to blame the players for losses and take solitary credit for wins. He offends me utterly as our manager.

So why is the title We Disappoint Me and how does that relate to the poll? Because this couple of very narrow wins has caused the poll that was fluttering around 96%-4% and 95%-5% to now sit solidly at 93%-7%

A minute change you might say and still overwhelming support for him not seeing 2019/20 onwards with us but I wonder what is in the heads of those few hundred who have switched so readily on such meagre evidence.

God forbid if we actually finished in 7th place, some people on here would be calling for him to be knighted and it sickens me. Just for total transparency, I, for one, am not a fan!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (24)

Kevin Prytherch
1 Posted 22/03/2018 at 08:30:02
4% of 9000 is 360 supporting Sam (roughly before the last 2 games)
7% of 11000 is 770 supporting Sam (roughly the last figure)

410 supporters have been swayed by the last 2 games.

Kevin Prytherch
2 Posted 22/03/2018 at 08:31:19
Perhaps what is scarier, and an indication of how fickle fans are...

410 out of 2000 supported Sam from the last 2 games, over 20%.

Lee Mandaracas
3 Posted 22/03/2018 at 08:58:20
Precisely Kevin. So the sway is worse than I thought. To make such a small 3% swing impact from circa 9,000 to 11,000 there was a 80%-20% vote in that 2,000 alone.

From less than one-in-twenty to just one-in-five because of two consecutive average wins is absurd!

Brent Stephens
4 Posted 22/03/2018 at 09:14:40
Or maybe recent voters were Sam supporters all along and just less likely to make their views known until those recent results?
Martin Nicholls
5 Posted 22/03/2018 at 09:31:50
Careful Lee, you'll be upsetting Chris Jones (Burton) with an article like this (see his post#105 in the "Allardyce crows" thread)!

Seriously, this is not a "swing" in the opinions of those who had already voted but decision time for previous "don't knows / not yet voted" – whatever, and at the risk of offending Chris, I remain astonished that two such lacklustre performances could persuade previously undecided individuals to join the "keep him" group.

Derek Thomas
6 Posted 22/03/2018 at 09:50:35
Well I've vote 4 times for him to go, so don't blame me.
Jim Bennings
7 Posted 22/03/2018 at 11:05:30
He's a short term fix so I don't think anyone should worry, he was never going to be here long enough to build a dynasty.

What we need though is to be patient with the next manager we appoint and not turn on him as soon as he has one bad month which seems to be the modern day trend with football clubs and the internet brigade of fans these days.

We will never know how it would have developed under Koeman because he has a bad 10 games blooding in a virtually new team which struggles and then that's it the fans want him gone, will it be the same if we get Fonseca and he doesn't hit the ground running?

We need to stop convincing ourselves of this “but he doesn't get Everton “ bullshit and just let a manager come in and try and build a team over a sustained period of time.

Let's be honest, David Moyes got 11 years here and this day and age after his woeful 2003-04 campaign which saw a lowest points tally and 17th place finish, he would have been shown the door instantly but he was left to build a steady squad which saw players like Cahill, Arteta, Coleman, Pienaar all arrive and, whilst we never achieved true success, it was a stable squad that was left in place with some canny buys that performed well enough to regularly hit 5th and 6th.

Moshiri needs to get this appointment right in summer but the fans need to stop jumping on Twitter and laying 200% blame solely on the manager – it's time to give whoever gets the Everton job exactly that, time.

Brian Harrison
8 Posted 22/03/2018 at 12:18:46
I didn't want him in the first place and he has done nothing to make me change my mind – in fact, if it was possible he has made me more anti Allardyce with his non football style.

What worries me is that I read the other day that Craig Shakespeare (what is he employed as?) has moved his family up here. So what vibes is he getting from Moshiri to do that? He must be aware the fans don't like Allardyce and he knows if Allardyce goes then so does he. I do worry as to what Moshiri will do come the summer, as by then the season tickets will have been bought so he doesn't have to worry about playing in front of an empty ground.

You would think that if he was prepared to offer Watford in excess of 㾶 million then Silva would still be his go to man. And if he isn't his go to man then you have to query his decision making seeing he made that offer only months ago.

Also if reports were correct he also approached Fonseca after sacking Koeman. So the question is: Does he sack Allardyce and go back for Silva or approach Fonseca, or does he completely bottle it and stick with Allardyce?

Trevor Peers
9 Posted 22/03/2018 at 12:21:40
Looks like Sam will be offered a 3-year extension if he finishes 7th...

Dream the dream, lads.

Dermot Byrne
11 Posted 22/03/2018 at 12:42:50
Jaysus, Lee, still over 90%, and over 90% of fans that have absolutely no influence in a modern Premier League club.

The bigger reason for worry is a small number of folk on our Board. Now the % of that small group would have some interest and meaning.

Lee Mandaracas
12 Posted 22/03/2018 at 15:38:09
@Alex (#10) the poll is no less realistic for the first 9,000 votes as for the next 2,000 surely?

@Dermot (#11) Thankfully, it looks like a Board overhaul is on the near horizon too but you can't call an instant shift of 1 in every 23 to 1 in every 5 insignificant.

Paul Tran
13 Posted 22/03/2018 at 16:24:09
Lee, when it comes to polls, the shorter the sample, the more pronounced the swing. Watch that disproportionate swing go the other way if we get stuffed by Man City and Liverpool. Or would that be fans 'coming to their senses'?

If Moshiri wants his project to continue, watch out for our next non-UK man-of-the-moment manager arriving this summer. If he doesn't, Sam will be here next season, we will play dull, functional football and finish 6th, 7th or 8th.

Dermot Byrne
14 Posted 22/03/2018 at 16:46:41
With you on that re the Board, Lee.
Alexander Murphy
15 Posted 23/03/2018 at 14:05:23
Just let's get rid of him.

I never ever wanted him here to begin with. Whilst others stood and applauded him upon his arrival, I sat quietly in my seat, arms folded.

I've never, ever booed Everton, an Everton player or Everton manager. Heaven knows there have been occasions when circumstances persuaded many to do so. Just not for me and hopefully never will be.

However, Big Fat Sam embodies virtually each and every quality in spades that my dream Everton manager must not have. The temptation within me exists to jump up mid-game at no particular juncture and sprint determinedly (okay, lumber menacingly) towards the Directors Box roaring for his immediate expulsion from the manager's post, from Goodison Park & Finch Farm, from the British Isles and preferably from planet Earth.

No amount of rationalising or cherry-picked stats could shift my opinion one iota in favour of him.

Frank McGregor
16 Posted 23/03/2018 at 14:30:22
I am not a fan of Allardyce, even in the days when he was managing Bolton; I don't like his style. But the fact is he took the job when nobody else wanted it and I am not sure if there is a list of potential star managers waiting on the sidelines to take over.

I, like all Everton fans, would really like to see a top class manager in place and bringing success to the club.

Sean Patton
17 Posted 23/03/2018 at 14:32:02
Haha! I hear you, Derek – I've voted on 3 different devices so it's safe to say the poll isn't entirely accurate.
Rick Tarleton
18 Posted 24/03/2018 at 20:32:18
This poll has worried me. A couple of marginal wins against weaker opposition has convinced a significant number of fans that Allardyce is acceptable. We are a fan base that accepts mediocrity if this is so. Nil satis nisi optimum is pie in the sky nowadays... but Allardyce?
Phil Walling
19 Posted 25/03/2018 at 11:38:33
The number of bodies on the Board is irrelevant. On any matter that Moshiri's man is in the minority, the Chair will impose a vote based on shareholdings so the Moneyman will prevail.

Not, I suspect, it ever gets that formal because, as previously, most of decisions are made 'on the hoof' in those whispers we see between Kenwright and Moshiri in the Directors Box!

Brian Murray
20 Posted 25/03/2018 at 11:55:37
I will hold back, like many others, I hope, in renewing my season ticket to see what direction, if any, the club is going or wants to go. Moshiri really needs to wake up and realise who he can rely on and act now, not in the summer.

Your call, Farhad. Think big, go big, act big. Very un-Everton, I know... but that's the only chance we have of rivalling the top four.

Dermot Byrne
21 Posted 25/03/2018 at 12:14:18
Dead right, Phil. My experience of Boards and Committees is that they are only there to rubber stamp decisions made outside of the meeting. But not always on the hoof... there lies the effectiveness or not.

I sometimes think ours have been made with the same intellectual rigour as the second part of some dreamy musical that remembers the good old days and not a lot more.

But, times they are a changin'

Chad Schofield
22 Posted 27/03/2018 at 00:13:18
Yep, terrifying!

I don't want us to lose on Saturday... and yet, on the balance of probabilities, things will be a whole lot less positive come Sunday.

We seem to be determined to accept crap. I don't wish to chop and change manager every time we have a poor result, but Allardyce was a terrible choice and for all the wrong reasons. He will sink us if he stays and attract dross far worse than seen under Koeman. We could easily become the next Villa by Christmas if this clown is still here.

Bill Watson
23 Posted 01/04/2018 at 14:33:24
Just listening to Arsenal v Stoke in the radio. As usual, Arsenal are crap, there's unrest in the crowd and lots of empty seats. However, whenever they play us, they take us to the cleaners and score goals for fun.

It's the same issue as when we play Liverpool: the players appear beaten before they start!

John Burns
24 Posted 09/04/2018 at 13:02:21
The data may be skewed because of me and maybe some like-minded people. I voted 4 times on different devices to remove Sam. I just wanted to make it clear that he needs to go!

Concerning the '410 out of 2000 who supported Sam from the last 2 games, over 20%', this may have just been his wife and a couple of his kids who offset my multiple voting by doing the same...but better by several hundred.

Peter Rogers
25 Posted 10/04/2018 at 12:36:15
What have we been reduced to? Everton supporters hoping we get beat so we can get rid of yet another crap manager. Fans, myself included, giving tickets away for derbies and other big games because we cant stand the type of football we are being made to play.

Seriously there is only one way the board are going to listen to the supporters and that's if we protest and make our feeling clear, they don't read ToffeeWeb or any of the other fan sites and they probably think the media talk about him being replaced is just them fishing for stories.

The fat knob has probably told the board that he has saved our great club from sure-fire relegation and by the way he is the best manager in the history of football. The guy is pulling off the best con trick ever and the 5% or 7% or what ever are the ones buying it.

Let's just hope Moshiri isn't one of them... and if he is, we have to make it clear that the guy and all his hangers-on are not wanted by the people that go, week-in & week-out, and spend our hard-earned cash.

I would honestly suggest that, if nothing is done beforehand, a boycott of the Southampton game might get the message across; nothing makes owners take notice more than an empty stadium.