Royal Blue Mersey

by   |   15/06/2018  77 Comments  [Jump to last]

I've been singing this since I first went to the game in the 1960s. I'd love to know who penned this masterpiece that is ours and ours alone and has stayed the course and will forever, I'm sure.

'Oh, we hate Bill Shankly and we hate St John, but most of all......'

Eddie Kavanagh will never be forgotten and whoever is responsible for this should be lauded also.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (77)

Jim Wilson
1 Posted 16/06/2018 at 10:42:40
Great song Alan.
'We shall not be moved' is also our song and doesn't get sung often enough.
With 'its A grand old team' we have 3 of the best songs ever.
Steve Ferns
2 Posted 16/06/2018 at 11:05:22
I remember "Onward Evertonians" as a kid, I haven't hear it since. I'm starting to wonder if I just read the words on this very site 20 years and my mind is tricking me that I heard it as a kid. Nurse!
Alan Bodell
3 Posted 16/06/2018 at 11:10:07
Jim, you're right there mate and Steve, tell the nurse to loosen your clothing straight away.
Brian Williams
4 Posted 16/06/2018 at 11:12:27
Steve#2.
Steve, is "onward Evertonians" the beginning to "we shall not be moved" because that's how we used to start it.

Onwards Evertonians
Onwards for to see
To see the Old Twin Towers
And sing of Wembley

See the Royal Blue Jerseys
As graceful as can be
Forging on to Victory
And fighting constantly

Onwards Evertonians
Don't let your pride be moved
Remember our song for Wembley is We Shall Not Be Moved

We shall not, we shall not be moved
We shall not, we shall not be moved
Just Like the team that's gonna win the FA Cup
We shall not be moved

Steve Ferns
5 Posted 16/06/2018 at 11:17:10
That's it Brian. So I'm not going mad after all!
Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 16/06/2018 at 19:58:54
Jim (1), loved that song "We shall not be moved" during our 19666 cup run and victory at Wembley.

Brian (4), great verses to our song but must confess that's the first time I have ever heard them, I think we just sang the chorus repeatedly in 1966 and later.

Paul Kennedy
7 Posted 16/06/2018 at 20:23:30
I remember getting a record that was released in 1966 to celebrate our cup win and the other shower winning the league.

A-side: R oaring and Scoring. B-side: The toast of Merseyside.

Brian Williams
8 Posted 16/06/2018 at 20:38:30
Dave. During our regular trips to Wembley in the 80s we gave the full rendition of that one and several others too which now, sadly, seem long forgotten.
Tony Abrahams
9 Posted 16/06/2018 at 20:49:06
Brian, I don't think I've ever heard Dave sing in 19666 years mate!
Brian Williams
10 Posted 16/06/2018 at 21:09:20
He's a time traveller y'know!
Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 16/06/2018 at 21:19:11
Tony (9), you there are you, !!I bet you're writing my Father's Day card up for tomorrow, hope it's not like last years, you gave me one last year on the Saturday night and said "Don't open it yet – there is a surprise in it." The surprise was there was no fuckin' money in it.
Nicholas Ryan
12 Posted 17/06/2018 at 20:29:07
The song was definitely "Onward Evertonians" – no 's'.
Alan J Thompson
13 Posted 18/06/2018 at 05:57:08
"Bless 'em all, bless 'em all.
The long and the short and the tall..."

Not to mention

"Aye, aye aye aye,
For West is better than Yashin,
For Alex is better than Eusebio
And Liverpool are in for a thrashin'"

Mike Dolan
14 Posted 18/06/2018 at 06:50:51
Come on without
Come on within
Y'll not see nothing
Like the mighty Everton
Martin Nicholls
15 Posted 18/06/2018 at 07:15:31
Brian (#4) – I always thought the third and fourth lines were "to see the Royal Blue towers, our team at Wemb(er)ly". That's what I sung anyway!
Derek Taylor
16 Posted 18/06/2018 at 07:48:28
Mike at 14. Occasionally adapted to 'You ain't seen nothing like Fred Pickering' – 56 times, actually!
Brian Williams
17 Posted 18/06/2018 at 07:52:01
Martin (#14).

I think there were several very slightly different versions. I remember in our crowd alone there'd be some singing your lines and others singing something slightly different but overall the same, if you know what I mean.

The ones you mention were generally the lines where you'd hear a few mumblings by some who weren't sure what to sing but managed to get the main words in. Generally most of us/them had partaken of a few aperitifs by then so weren't too worried.

I remember one year, 12 of us stayed in a cracking hotel (must have got a deal somehow) with a huge bar on the ground floor, marble everywhere and a baby grand piano. It was full of tourists and they ended up taking loads of photos and some joined in while we gave em renditions of all our Everton songs and our own list which included "Where do You go To My Lovely (Peter Sarstedt), Down In The West Texas Town of El Paso (don't know) and others.

All our lads knew the words perfectly and there were bits thrown in and solos in there too. Hilarious. It was great to see all the tourists who at first viewed us with a little bit of concern come round and want their photos taken with us and applaud our singing.

Not a bad word said, not the slightest hint of any trouble. In fact one of the lads (one of the youngest too) did wonders for Anglo/American relations when he met an "older" American lady and met up with her in the evening after the match to "sign a treaty of trade relations."

When he turned up late for breakfast in the huge dining room, with a stupid grin on his face and looking like he'd not had a wink of sleep ;-), we gave him a standing ovation which all the other guests having breakfast joined in with, not having the slightest idea why or what they were applauding. All the way home on our mini coach he sang "Chicago Chicago."

Years later he used to ask "Come on who else has ever had a standing ovation from a couple of hundred people for shagging someone?" Brilliant trip that one, Watford final I think.

Martin Nicholls
18 Posted 18/06/2018 at 08:33:54
I think you're spot on with the variation in words Brian! Brilliant story you tell – great memories, eh?
Brian Williams
19 Posted 18/06/2018 at 08:37:05
Martin (#18).

Great memories indeed mate. I feel so sorry for younger Evertonians (my sons in particular) who have never had anything like that to enjoy. Let's hope it changes sometime soon!

Martin Nicholls
20 Posted 18/06/2018 at 08:37:18
ps: On the "words" theme, I still get to a fair number of away games and never cease to be amazed at how quickly a new song catches on – it still takes me ages to catch on to the words but that's now an age-related hearing thing!
Dave Abrahams
21 Posted 18/06/2018 at 09:16:23
Brian, songs really added to the atmosphere when Everton played, especially at the away grounds, and there was a big selection of songs that were sang at the last big game at Wembley v Man Utd. The song that was sang constantly was "We've got a diamond called Ross Barkley." Even Tony Bellow sang it on the mic outside Wembley. I confess although I'd heard it before I didn't have a clue about the words – not having a go at Ross, like Martin (20) says it must be an age-related hearing thing.
Derek Taylor
22 Posted 18/06/2018 at 09:23:04
Shame it's not the same now, Brian. It meant so much more to us in those days. The players all seemed closer to us although the Club generally was totally remote. But then, we never gave' The Secretary' and his entourage a thought, did we ? Now the Admin get more publicity than the team !
Rob Halligan
23 Posted 18/06/2018 at 09:44:39
Brian, your post at # 17 reminded me of a pre season friendly a few years back, when we played Wolfsburg away.

Four of us went over and stayed in Hanover for the weekend. The game was on a Saturday afternoon. Following the game, we jumped the train back to Hanover for an evening on the ale. We found one particular bad and settled down for a few. As the ale flowed we started singing a few Everton songs. A few locals (not football fans) took interest in us and started a few songs of their own, which we tried to join in with.

We eventually got round to the Mikel Arteta song. Suddenly a few German rockers / bikers came in. There must have been about 12 - 15 of them, and we thought "Oh shit, we've had it"

Within 30 minutes we had taught them the whole song, and the whole bar was singing "The best little Spaniard we know", every single rocker / biker joining in.

When we finally left, the bar owner thanked us for a great night, saying it was one of the best nights in his bar for months. Great memories.

Brian Williams
24 Posted 18/06/2018 at 16:09:22
Rob (#23).

Excellent story, Rob, and the sort that seems to happen often when Evertonians gather. Not saying other teams' supporters don't have similar times but Evertonians are renowned for their ability to have a good time, mix well with the locals, and leave a good impression.

Let's hope we get the chance to do it again... though, if we do, it'll be like a scene from the film "Wild Hogs", the age of some of us, haha!

Paul Birmingham
25 Posted 18/06/2018 at 17:02:20
All great songs, and always stir the crowd. Good to get them all listed and including What's Our Name .

It's our heritage and is to be revered and will hopefully, ( increasing hope, more than genuine belief, at the moment) that they will herald a new dawn and can be sing in the BMD ground..

Alan Bodell
26 Posted 18/06/2018 at 21:24:04
Late '60s early '70s Donavan had a song 'Mellow Yellow', we sang that due to us having the yellow away kit. Any oldies (like me) remember that one?
David S Shaw
27 Posted 18/06/2018 at 22:38:47
Did we change the words to that Mellow Yellow song?

There was another one we done around then to Quo's Pictures of Matchstick Men, anyone remember that one?

Alan Bodell
28 Posted 19/06/2018 at 10:29:03
I can't remember, David, been so long ago.
David S Shaw
29 Posted 19/06/2018 at 10:49:08
The song has been stuck in my head now! I guess it could have started something like "I'm so mad about Everton.."? It's only a short song so probably only 1 or 2 word changes I imagine.

There was another pop song around then to Needles and pins wasn't there?

Alan J Thompson
30 Posted 19/06/2018 at 15:33:40
Many years ago (1968?) away to Leicester who had just signed Willie Bell, left back from Leeds, and we started, "Sandy, Sandy, Sandy Brown" (then repeated several times) and Sandy looked over and his jaw dropped at the thought that we would sing his name and he waved. We all cheered and waved back but didn't sing it again.

Another time on a wet and cold Boxing Day at Goodison the Gladdy started "Doopy doopy doopy doopy in the morning" which went on word for word for about 20 minutes.

Happy Days!

Alan McGuffog
31 Posted 19/06/2018 at 15:50:53
Leave Donovan out of it please. One of the most toe curling songs from the late sixties was to the tune of Jennifer Juniper. Anyone recall that?

Only thing worse was repeating Alan Ball to the tune of Silent Night. They weren't always stirring chants, lol!!!

David S Shaw
32 Posted 19/06/2018 at 15:55:27
Great stuff Alan! What tunes were they sung too?
Mike Doyle
33 Posted 19/06/2018 at 16:02:06
'Oh, we hate Bill Shankly and we hate St John, but most of all '

It's a great shame about the end of this line though.

I met Big Ron Yeats many times when he used to frequent the Fruit & Veg market (late 70s / early 80s) – a thoroughly nice bloke.

Steve Ferns
34 Posted 19/06/2018 at 16:14:54
ToffeeWeb Songs and Poetry section

You guys know about this part of the site, right?

Len Hawkins
35 Posted 19/06/2018 at 16:36:26
"To Hell with Liverpool and Rangers too,
we'll throw em all in the Mersey
but we'll fight fight fight
with all our might
for the lads in the Royal Blue jersey."

"Na na na na,
Na na na na
hey heyhey
Colin Harvey!"

When playing Man City, to the tune of Jolson's Mammy:

"Summerbee, Summerbee,
We'll walk a million miles to the end of your nose
Mike Summerbee."

A bottle of Higsons Brown Ale, a hot meat pie (with the gravy all down your front) and watching the magnificent Everton along with the music of the 60s — what a great time.

Pete Clarke
36 Posted 19/06/2018 at 16:54:40
I think we are definitely lacking in the song area over the past few years.

I loved ”All together Now” by the Lars. Written by a Red but a cracker song all the same.

My fondest memory was singing “Oh Andy is Our King”, with the great man on my shoulders in a pub down County Road.

He had hung his boots up by then and was a lot heavier than the guy who scored that great goal against the red shite!!

Proper Legend.

Brian Williams
37 Posted 19/06/2018 at 17:00:30
Peter. "All Together Now" was The Farm, mate.

The La's sung "There She Goes".

David McMullen
38 Posted 19/06/2018 at 17:06:13
There's a snippet in The Golden Vision I think 'Orrible Ives' — Ken Jones singing in it.

And "We Shall Not Be Moved". Before my time — I only knew it as a cup song everyone sings.

Sue Brown
39 Posted 19/06/2018 at 19:00:54
Great memories!

We definitely need a new Song Sheet!

I remember the team running out to “We shall not be moved” ‘69-70 when we won the league, tho I can't remember why we changed it from "Z-Cars" for most of that season. Anyone with a better memory than me?

Tom Hughes
40 Posted 20/06/2018 at 00:28:58
My best memory relating "We Shall Not Be Moved" was an FA Cup quarter-final against Man City in 1981. The ground was packed and a few mins before the teams were due to emerge, the announcer came on saying "I haven't played this song for a long time."

I literally only heard the first few notes before the whole ground seemed to roar it out. The whole Gwladys Street bounced in unison.

Alan J Thompson
41 Posted 20/06/2018 at 03:56:48
David S (#32);

Not sure what the Sandy song was but there was an ad on TV that started "Brown, Brown, Brown (somebody's) Brown, drink it down"

The other was to the tune of; "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning" – if that is of any help whatsoever.

Alan McGuffog
42 Posted 20/06/2018 at 06:46:27
Alan,

Memory may be playing tricks but I think it was for Watney's Brown (Christ on a bike!) and was 'sung; by none other than Morecambe and Wise.

Martin Nicholls
43 Posted 20/06/2018 at 07:15:01
Alan Ball to the tune of the Cannonball TV series anyone?
David S Shaw
44 Posted 20/06/2018 at 08:45:16
Thanks Alan. At the risk of sounding naïve what does Doopy in the morning mean?

Sandy Brown was quite a cult hero it seems, did long servants such as Roger Kenyon or Tommy Wright ever have a song for them?

Alan J Thompson
45 Posted 20/06/2018 at 15:12:11
Alan (#42); I couldn't remember whose Brown Ale it was but after posting I recalled something about Music Hall comedians although not Eric & Ernie.

David S (#44); That was the funny part, it doesn't mean anything as far as I know, made up on the spur. The only true part was the last bit,"...in the morning". The one thing that brings that game and "singing" to mind was that it was announced before the teams came out that 3 Everton players (Harvey & Hurst may have been 2 of them) wouldn't be playing as they had been injured in training and one of the lads said; "Christ, we're not still training with swords, are we?"

Alan J Thompson
46 Posted 20/06/2018 at 15:36:58
David S (#44); Don't recall anything for either Kenyon or Tommy Wright but I remember being at The Dell when Everton beat Soton 5-2 and Tommy scored from about 30-35 yards or so out on the right touchline into the far top corner, and it wasn't a shot, but all the players, led by Alan Ball, mobbed him and Tommy looked really embarrassed.

In the mid 70s we were away to Leeds in the League Cup (a midweek game, lost 3-1) and between the ground and the motorway was a patch of open land that wasn't lit so you couldn't see who was out there but you could hear thousands singing, "Cos we're the barmy Everton army, up the leg of your drawers!"

Tony Pemberton
47 Posted 20/06/2018 at 20:49:10
Wow, took me back there, Alan Thompson. I'm sure there was another around then that ended "but he hasn't got a brain"? Can't remember what opposition player it was for.
Doug Harris
48 Posted 20/06/2018 at 22:30:14
Martin (#43)... Cannonball:

Alan Ball, Alan Ball..
hit it down the right wing,
put it in the air,
send it through the middle
and brother he'll be there.
Alan Ball...

Doug Harris
49 Posted 20/06/2018 at 22:50:31
Especially for Alan Mc (#31)...

Everton, Everton, Everton FC da da da da
We,re gonna win the FA Cup sir
Liverpool are runners up sir
We are the greatest team you'll all agree
Everton F C da da

Sad, I know...

Eric Myles
50 Posted 21/06/2018 at 05:28:52
I remember a lead-in to "We Shall Not Be Moved" being

Tell me Ma, me Ma,
I won't be home for my tea,
We're going to Wemberley,
Tell me Ma, me Ma

We shall not, we shall not be moved .etc.

Alan J Thompson
51 Posted 21/06/2018 at 05:51:27
Eric (#50); wasn't that sung to Doris Day's (it doesn't matter who she was) Que Sera, Sera (what ever will be, will be) but the words changed as per your #50.
Eric Myles
52 Posted 21/06/2018 at 06:03:00
Yes Alan J. it was.
Tony Pemberton
53 Posted 21/06/2018 at 06:18:27
Talking of cheesy pop songs we done, Sugar Sugar anyone?

Loving the sound of us doing Mellow Yellow too!

Brian Williams
54 Posted 21/06/2018 at 07:52:43
Eric. Second line was "I don't want no tea, no tea."

The there was the "to put the champagne on ice, We're going to Wembley twice."

Another version (different start) of we shall not be moved was:

We're on our way to Wembley,
We shall not be moved,We shall not be moved,

Just like the the team,
That's gonna win the FA Cup
We shall not be moved,

We shall not,
We shall not be moved,
We shall not,
We shall not be moved,

Just like the the team,
That's gonna win the FA Cup (again !)
We shall not be moved!

Remember "It was in the year of 66 in the grand old month of May."?

Ray Roche
55 Posted 21/06/2018 at 08:16:21
Without yer kecks on!!!
Tony Pemberton
56 Posted 21/06/2018 at 08:52:26
Brian Williams – was Sean South the tune of "it was in the year of 66" Or was there a different one sung to Sean South?

Tranmere used to do a great one that would have made a good Everton song, it was something like...

"So they sprinkled it with stardust to make the grass seeds grow,
Finest turf in England no matter where you go,
They put in floodlights for when it's dark...
When it was finished they called it Prenton Park."

Brent Stephens
57 Posted 21/06/2018 at 08:58:23
Ray #55 - "...the whole world smiles with you..."

Memories.

Ray Roche
58 Posted 21/06/2018 at 09:03:03
Happy Days, Brent, happy days.
Brian Williams
59 Posted 21/06/2018 at 09:34:49
Tony (#56).

Sorry. mate, I haven't got a clue who or what is Sean South.

Tony Pemberton
60 Posted 21/06/2018 at 09:54:24
Sorry Brian, I should have been clearer, it's the name of tune, it was very popular at Celtic and I know we reworked a few Celtic tunes setting them to Everton words:

Doug Harris
61 Posted 21/06/2018 at 12:31:43
Gimme an E-V-E-R-T-O-N — the finest team in all the land, they call us Everton.
[That line sang again.]

They come from Garston, Walton, they come from Dingle too
They even come from Anfield to see the boys in Blue
They come from Park Road, Huyton and all of Merseyside
They travel up to Goodison Park to loudly sing with pride

Gimme an E-V-E-R-T-O-N... [chorus]

Steve Carse
62 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:10:04
Who can ever forget this Q&A chant:
"Whose the greatest of them all? - Little curly Alan Ball.
Whose the player with the most? - Alex Young the Golden Ghost"

that subsequently got changed to:
"Whose the greatest of them all? - Little curly Alan Ball.
Whose the player with the most? - Sandy Brown and beans on toast"

In fact Alan (42) was it you who was responsible for the latter version?

Alan Bodell
63 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:16:27
Steve #62, you are around the same age age me, I remember one of girls I went school with (red) saying it was little Alan's curly balls we were singing, that was in the days was the capital murder law existed.
Ray Roche
64 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:27:47
Well, the most unpopular fan in European football history was the Borussia Mönchengladbach supporter would shouted ''Give us a ''B'' .
Steve Ferns
65 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:30:26
Don't you mean: "Borussia VfL 1900 Mönchengladbach e.V."

Spare a thought to the fans of LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH football club

Ray Roche
66 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:37:01
Don't YOU mean ''Llanfair PG'' as it's known
Steve Ferns
67 Posted 21/06/2018 at 18:40:39
Haha sure Ray. I see Borussia Dortmund's official name is rather long too.
Alan McGuffog
68 Posted 21/06/2018 at 19:38:35
Ha ha Steve...I wish I could claim credit for that ditty but sadly no. Hope to catch up in September at the "do" that Roy is trying to arrange
David S Shaw
69 Posted 23/06/2018 at 08:54:22
Alan Bodell – hope you don't mind me bringing this back up, but instead of the words "Mellow Yellow" was it something like (We are the) "Boys in yellow"? Or perhaps "Team in yellow"?
Pete Clarke
70 Posted 23/06/2018 at 09:23:36
Thanks for that correction, Brian. As soon as I saw your post, I cringed. All Together Now was perfect for that time but never caught on for the long term.

I do admit to getting a bit embarrassed by the If Ya Know Yer 'Istory song as it seems to sum us up too much in that's what we're clinging to. We need a new song which gets everyone in the ground pumping but something with an identity.

Brian Williams
71 Posted 23/06/2018 at 10:11:14
Pete (#70).

Hey Pete, no sweat, mate. We all get our groups and songs mixed up over time. :-)

Fully agree we need a rousing, simple-to-sing song, that almost everyone in the ground will join in with. Would make a huge difference!

Lawrence Green
72 Posted 23/06/2018 at 10:57:19
On the subject of Everton songs, the Liverpool Echo say that the club were the first to make a football pop song way back in 1963 to celebrate becoming League Champions. Perhaps, Bill could approach Sir Paul McCartney to urge him to write an anthem for us?

First Record

Lawrence Green
73 Posted 23/06/2018 at 11:21:42
I meant to add this link to my previous post:

Derek Wadeson
74 Posted 23/06/2018 at 13:35:03
Anyone remember this sung to the tune of the Beverley Hillbillies about Fred Pickering.

Come listen to a story about a man named Fred
Could score a goal with his feet or his head.
Then one day playing against the 'Pool
slipped past Yeats and he scored one cool

Well Ron Yeats said well I do declare
It's about time I moved away from here
I think that Tranmere is the place I should be
Then I'll have no Pickering to bother me

There is more but I am only guessing about the Kopites being in despair and blues throwing their scarves in the air.

Lenny Kingman
75 Posted 27/06/2018 at 08:55:54
In honour of Everton's trip to Wembley in 1966, possibly, 1968 too. Original tune was the old Irish folk classic, "It's a long way to Tipperary."

It's a long way to Wembley stadium
It's a long way to go
It's a long way to Wembley stadium
For the greatest team I know
So long Upper Parlie
Farewell Clayton Square
It's a long long way to Wembley stadium
But for Everton we're there.

Roy Steel
76 Posted 27/06/2018 at 09:10:47
Brian (#17), it was Marty Robbins.
Tony Pemberton
77 Posted 27/06/2018 at 14:52:45
Pretty sure Johnny Cash's "I saw the light" was one we done?