Does anybody know anything about Dr David Marsh over and above his amateur golf record and being awarded an MBE?

How the hell did he end up as Everton chairman during the dark days of 1991-1993? Was he just Mr Hat to the (half-arsed by then) Moores gang's Mr Garrison? Did he ever do anything of note during his tenure, other than announce the departure of Kendall and the 'coup' of capturing A Man Called Horse and carting him off from Carrow Road? Did he ever fondle your balls or tell you your blood pressure was a bit high?

I'm hitting a brick wall with this guy, so... err... help!

Reader Comments (14)

Steve Ferns
1 Posted 12/07/2018 at 14:25:13
You covered all I know about this guy, particularly the Mr Hat comment.
Alan J Thompson
2 Posted 12/07/2018 at 14:40:38
John, I think he was one of a long list of Littlewoods Stores Managing Directors who also became Everton's by default and seemed to deny any money for transfers and, I think, insisted that Everton sell their best, including Keown and Beardsley, to wipe out £4M of debt.

Or I've got the wrong man entirely.

Steve Ferns
3 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:03:47
Actually, Alan, I believe he was a General Practitioner from Formby, so I don't know how he could combine that with a role at Littlewoods. I suspect he had a Moores connection.
Lawrence Green
4 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:15:48
Dr Who is right, not much on the web about a man who was chairman of Everton FC is there?

Dr David Marsh, past captain of The R&A, has also been honoured with an MBE for voluntary services to amateur golf. A distinguished amateur golfer himself, who played in the winning 1971 Walker Cup side, Dr Marsh went on to captain the Great Britain and Ireland team in 1973 and 1975 and twice won the English Amateur Championship.

Dr David Marsh is probably best known by football fans for his role as Everton chairman from 1991-94, but it was his work in amateur golf which saw him given an MBE.

He represented England 75 times as a player and won the English Amateur Championship twice in 1964 and 1970.

He was a member of the Walker Cup team in 1959 and 1971, when he famously helped clinch the title.

In 1990, he achieved the most prestigious office in world golf by being named captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrew’s. Wendie Darlington, director of fundraising at Wirral’s Claire House hospice, received an MBE for charitable services in the North West.

David, who has been involved with Claire House since it was founded, said: “I am thrilled that they have recognised the hard work volunteers do.

Dr Marsh

Alan J Thompson
5 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:16:23
Sorry, Steve, I assume you mean a Moores connection other than Littlewoods which Moores owned? Perhaps I do have it wrong but I thought he did come through that channel and I was a bit worried about John's reference to 1991-93 and my memory.
Steve Ferns
6 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:25:32
Yes Alan. I am pretty sure he was a GP, and that he was based in Formby. If he was a GP, it would be difficult to combine that with a role at Littlewoods. I believe he came from a moneyed family and if I had to guess, I would say he was a friend of Sir John, rather than an employee.
Alan J Thompson
7 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:33:43
Steve (#6); Ta, lah.
John Daley
8 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:39:27
Sorry, as Lawrence states, Marsh was chairman 1991-1994, not 1993.

Thanks Alan.

Steve, sorely disappointed in you lad. I thought you could knock out a lengthy dissertation on anything from lipopolysaccharides to Lionel Blair attributing his leathery longevity to stockpiling shit loads of Carbolic Smoke Balls back in 1891. Let me down badly.

Steve Ferns
9 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:42:21
Sorry John, vaguely recall asking my Dad who Dr Marsh was when Johnson took over and we were on holiday. My dad either said he was his mate, or his mate's mate. My Dad is a keen golfer on the Sefton circuit so I can see why he'd know him or of him.
John McFarlane Snr
10 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:49:10
Hi Steve[3], Dr Marsh was indeed a GP, I believe he practised in Kirkby, he was actually the Doctor for a firm I worked for In Skelmersdale, I used to rib him on his weekly visits, [I think he was on a retainer to frighten malingerers back to work] saying that, since he became Chairman, Everton had grown steadily worse, he was as previously stated, a prominent figure in the golfing world.

He was a gentleman, and got me a ticket for the Anfield derby when Wayne Clark had a perfectly good goal disallowed,

I'm looking forward to Sunday, and I think with your apparent knowledge of formations and tactics etc, you may be able to explain why so many players are unable to take a throw-in properly, [which in most cases goes unpunished] and do they practice this skill in training?

Steve Ferns
11 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:53:28
Cheers, John, see you then.
Alan J Thompson
12 Posted 12/07/2018 at 15:57:11
Sorry, John D (#8) but Carbolic Smoke Balls only cover 99.9% these days.
Peter Howard
13 Posted 13/07/2018 at 06:10:34
Carbolic smoke balls were a load of shite-just ask Cahill.
Keith Harrison
14 Posted 24/07/2018 at 18:05:56
Apologies, John, I haven't been on here for a while. A mate of mine from Rugby playing days a few decades ago was married to David Marsh's daughter. He only informed me of this a couple of years ago, and said he occasionally attended games with Dr Marsh until fairly recently.

I couldn't say if they are still married, but my mate Charlie said Dr Marsh used to get some stick from us Blues at times. If you genuinely want more details, you have my email address mate, and I could ask Charlie if he wouldn't mind speaking to you.

Hope you are well, and optimistic for the new season.