On John McFarlane’s 80th birthday thread, I posted that it might be a good idea to have an annual ToffeeWeb Ball with a guest speaker!

John suggested putting out a thread to gauge opinion!

I’m also not suggesting I organise it as I live 200 miles from Liverpool and have no connection to players etc. However, it’s definitely an event I’d like to attend and would love to put a face to ToffeeWeb contributors!

What are everyone’s thoughts?

Reader Comments (13)

Steven Jones
1 Posted 19/07/2018 at 08:08:57
Yes, this would be excellent – meeting up with fellow ToffeeWebers would help put faces and context to posts... maybe some of the extremes will be tempered.

We need more "off page" connections – similar to the regional fan clubs.

I am off this afternoon flying at 4pm to Faro for the weekend matches and it would be good to meet up with any ToffeeWebbers out there. Is there an EFC pub in Faro? Even for this weekend?

Steve Ferns
2 Posted 19/07/2018 at 09:45:14
Steven, are you staying in Faro? It’s not too far to Albufeira where you’re not going to find an Everton pub, but you will find places like Lineker’s Bar (Gary’s brother’s chain I think).

Personally I prefer Vilamoura and “Figo’s” Bar is where I watch a lot of the games. O’Neil’s is my favourite bar though.

Steven Jones
3 Posted 19/07/2018 at 09:51:28
Great stuff! Thanks Steve

Yes staying in Faro - have found one sports bar on the internet - but would be good to meet up with fellow blues . travelling on my own having decided at the weekend to make the trip - dying to actually see Silva's methods close up Though the two games in two days in the sun would be ideal.

John McFarlane Snr
4 Posted 19/07/2018 at 14:15:19
Hi Steven [3] I agree with you that it would be good for ToffeeWebbers to spend some time together, as you put it, 'off page'.

Following my spell in hospital, I had the same feeling, and I wished to personally thank those who wished me well; seven people joined me as strangers, and within minutes we were talking to each other like old friends.

As I've stated on the '80th Birthday get-together' thread, it really is a simple process; all it requires is a willingness to participate, and the selection of a date, time, and venue.

If you wish to explore the possibility of such a venture, you can put me down as your number one applicant, and remember that "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow".

Brian Williams
5 Posted 19/07/2018 at 19:20:15
Suggested the same thing on several occasions in the past. Nowt's come of it yet but I'd certainly be up for it.

I have some contacts to sort out speakers: Sharpie, Ratters etc...

John McFarlane Snr
6 Posted 19/07/2018 at 20:35:26
Hi Brian [5] I'm sure that with a little bit of publicity on the various threads it could be achieved, I believe that the seven who attended my birthday bash, along with myself, would definitely be interested. One or two others who expressed an interest, but were unable to attend, for one reason or another, would likely be up for it too.

I would imagine that it would only need a small number of people to meet on a regular basis, possibly monthly to spark an interest, and the best form of advertising is word of mouth, 'nothing ventured nothing gained'

Brian Williams
7 Posted 19/07/2018 at 20:38:41
Fully agree, John. It would be great too to get a range of ages all with one thing in common, the love of Everton!
Michael Penley
8 Posted 25/07/2018 at 16:42:32
A ball with 99% sport-obsessed males in attendance? Sounds lovely but I'll pass thanks.
Dave Abrahams
9 Posted 25/07/2018 at 21:28:11
Brian (5), if Sharpie or Snodden or any of that ilk were coming to give a talk I'd pay NOT to go. !!!!!!!!!
Lee Paige
10 Posted 25/07/2018 at 21:30:39
Can imagine some fight breaking out like. How about a boxing fest?
Gerard McKean
11 Posted 26/07/2018 at 09:59:14
Sorry, Stephen, only just seen this article. A good idea in principle but as Michael #8 points out, the word "ball" might put off more than it attracts. John's impromptu gathering was very enjoyable, no fights, lots of shared memories and interesting views.

I'm definitely with Dave#9 about speakers. As a club Everton seem to have been very successful in dulling the senses of many supporters by using former players who will offer only anodyne opinions and who toe the party line. As nice as they are as blokes, I don't see the point of listening to the platitudes of Ian Snodin, Jim Pearson, Graeme Sharpe et al. On the other hand I would listen to Nev or Derek Mountfield or Kevin Sheedy, and maybe we should be asking why lads who played a lot of games for winning Everton teams seem to be personae non grata because they actually speak their own uncompromising minds.

Dave Abrahams
12 Posted 26/07/2018 at 22:39:59
Gerard (#11), that's exactly why I wouldn't want to listen to them.

What they say, lots of times, in public is the total opposite of what they say privately.

Dick Fearon
13 Posted 04/08/2018 at 00:43:57
Was it Alan Hardaker or Walter Winterbottom who said 'I would not hang a dog on the word of an ex footballer.