The traditional season precursor sees FA Cup Winners Chelsea take on Premier League Champions Manchester City at Wembley.

Reader Comments (18)

Chris Watts
1 Posted 05/08/2018 at 15:38:39
Ross looks a shadow of his old self. He has barely touched the ball and when he has he has lost it. His teammates don’t seem to want to pass to him – he’s just drifting around the pitch.

I predict he’s not going to fit in at Chelsea. Foden looks a player though!!

Mike Galley
2 Posted 05/08/2018 at 15:41:51
Chris, I've feeling that Ross's career has, unfortunately, hit a downward spiral. Hope I'm wrong but I've a feeling this will be a story of unfulfilled potential.
Sam Hoare
3 Posted 05/08/2018 at 15:46:12
Zouma not even on bench for Chelsea today. Usually I don’t like loaning players unless there’s an option to buy but maybe it’s worth it in this case and better than splashing on someone who’s not good enough.
David Barks
4 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:10:56
To be fair, you could say that about much of the Chelsea team. Fabregas also uninvolved. Pedro had an easy ball to play Barkley in just then but he held and lost the ball, also not for the first time.
Andrew Ellams
5 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:28:53
City look like a side who know exactly what they are doing. The advantages of going into a new season without needing to fix weak links...
Chris Watts
6 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:42:18
A cheeky loan bid for Phil Foden? Looks a cracking player... poor Ross hasn't improved. I don't understand why he looks so slow.
Michael Kenrick
7 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:44:59
I bet Ross doesn't want to stress that pesky hamstring!
David Barks
8 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:46:38
Andrew,

It took City an entire season under Pep to learn exactly what to do. Don’t forget that the wise English press, and some on here, mocked them that first season and said his style will never work in England.

Jim Harrison
9 Posted 05/08/2018 at 17:21:37
Barkley looked lost. Rusty maybe? But not someone who we should grieve losing at present.
Time will tell. For me he looked every bit the classic Everton youngster, promise not realised
To temper that, he has barely played in the best part of 18 months. And city were far the better team
David Barks
10 Posted 05/08/2018 at 18:22:11
Tell me a Chelsea player that didn’t look lost, then I’m happy to focus on Barkley. Alonso looked lost as a left back. Luis looked lost in defense. Morata looked lost. Pedro was just poor all around. The list goes on and on. But silly me, I’m treating it as a team game. Barkley clearly should have dominated and single handed out beat City while the rest of the Chelsea team struggled.
Darren Hind
11 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:09:45
I always feel kinda jealous of the teams competing in this match as it generally means they have won something and we haven't.

Maybe we can win the FA Cup and play in it next year?

Jim Harrison
12 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:12:30
Alternatively David, I was commenting on the single player in their team that has a direct connection to ours.

As for dominating? Maybe not to be expected. But looking hungry and trying to put forward a case for his inclusion in the team he currently represents, did you think he helped himself?

Eugene Kearney
13 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:17:23
Darren#11,

Win the FA Cup - that would be a good objective for Everton to set for this season.

Chris Watts
14 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:23:09
David, yes Pedro didn’t look great etc but I don’t have any interest in them. I was looking to see how Ross performed in his first performance for 6 months in front of a new manager and compare it to how he was at Everton. Is that ok?

It was surprising to see how much he just drifted around the pitch and his team mates did not go through him. He looks a million miles away from the guy who went from one end to the other to score against Newcastle. I actually want him to do well but can’t see how he will have a future at Chelsea the 17 year old Hudson looked better and Foden looked another level, admittedly playing for the better side

Michael Lynch
15 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:42:53
City look ready to go. Especially if you look at who wasn't even in the team. That Foden looks a gem too. Good to see, because their only rivals for the title will probably be The Shite.

Be interesting to see if Sarri can do anything with Chelsea this season.

Darren Hind
16 Posted 05/08/2018 at 19:45:49
It would Eugene.

And a realistic one at that

Roy Steel
17 Posted 06/08/2018 at 11:39:12
I just watched Chelsea and Man City, and didn't know Barkley was on the park until near the end. He was just doing the same as he did for us... nothing!
Roy Steel
18 Posted 06/08/2018 at 11:39:13
I just watched Chelsea and Man City – I didn't know Barkley was on the park until near the end. He was just doing the same as he did for us... Nothing.