The Premier League returns with this evening's big kick-off at Old Trafford, where Manchester United took on Leicester City, with a fair number of new players on show.

The Red Devils ultimately prevailed thanks to a very early Paul Pogba penalty and Luke Shaw's first ever Premier League goal. Jamie Vardy pulled one back in stoppage time but it was too little, too late.

Tottenham faced Newcastle in the early Saturday game and there was no slip-up for Mauricio Pochettino's men as they ran out 2-1 winners thanks to Dele Alli's headed winner.

Chelsea led the way in the 3pm kick-offs, comfortably beating Huddersfield.

Reader Comments (14)

Derek Knox
1 Posted 10/08/2018 at 19:43:18
Going to watch the Man Utd v Leicester game tonight. WTF is Carragher doing back on, I thought he was sacked along with Bob Carolgees!

That's one of the many things I detest about Sky, everywhere you look there's ex RS on panels, they have even started doing their own adverts now, what next?

Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 10/08/2018 at 21:37:55
Started off quite brightly but, as the game went on, they seem to be cancelling each other out it seems. Maybe I was just excited to see the footy back, but the excitement was short-lived.
Mike Gaynes
3 Posted 10/08/2018 at 21:45:07
When United are winning, the excitement is always short-lived for me. Hate those pimps.
Jamie Crowley
4 Posted 11/08/2018 at 15:42:33
Watching Fulham - Palace. Would like to see Fulham have a good season.

A LOT of possession - pass, pass, pass, pass again - with the same end product - cross it into Mitrovic / get the ball to Mitrovic.

Kierney (sp?) looks one hell of a good midfielder to me.

Good game. Can't wait for our game.

AND... Palace just took the lead. Fulham remind me of Martinez's team a bit.

Joe McMahon
5 Posted 11/08/2018 at 15:53:19
Spot on about Carragher Derek. The conduct I have to display at work (in the NHS) is clearly very different to those in the highly paid privileged media world.

As an asiide I see Steven Naismith is now at Hearts, piyt it didn't work out for him at Norwich.

Michael Kenrick
6 Posted 11/08/2018 at 16:12:37
Incredible that Barkley gets a game... he just seems to be jogging around, ball-watching. Chelsea lucky to be winning 2-0.
Derek Thomas
7 Posted 12/08/2018 at 10:23:38
Michael @6; glad it wasn't just me who noticed that. It seemed to me that Chelsea knew they were only playing with 10 men and were a tad reluctant to pass to him unless it was really necessary.
Darren Hind
8 Posted 12/08/2018 at 13:34:44
11/1 West Ham ? . .Where's me phone ?
Jamie Crowley
9 Posted 12/08/2018 at 17:52:34
When did Arsenal acquire Side Show Bob?
Brian Murray
10 Posted 12/08/2018 at 18:06:20
We badly need Man City to carry on with their dominance to obviously stop you know who from getting ideas above their station. We dodged a bullet last season but, sooner or later, they will prevail. I hope it's never or maybe we will rise again to seriously challenge them.
Dennis Stevens
11 Posted 12/08/2018 at 18:18:55
I'm most dismayed to see that, after the first round of matches, we've slipped one place in the league table - Silva out!
Mike Galley
12 Posted 12/08/2018 at 18:45:32
Dennis, I blame Hibbert!
Tom Bowers
13 Posted 12/08/2018 at 18:50:24
Predictable results.
RS with their usual easy win over West Ham who would be better conceding the points every time they are due to play RS.

Arsenal's defence is piss poor so Man City had an easy time of it. Why they rate Mustafi I don't know and Ozil is too lazy and his passing showed it.

Cardiff and Huddersfield will go down.

Steve Ferns
14 Posted 14/08/2018 at 18:20:00
My season ticket finally came.

I got a USB stick, a badge and some stickers with he promise of a sticker book. It was like Christmas Day.

Everyone else sorted? Last tickets to be be sent out by tomorrow apparently.