A great, great Evertonian has passed away, one that a vast amount of Blues will know.

Rest in peace, Tony Kelly.

Reader Comments (15)

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 21/10/2018 at 20:37:01
John G, I put a tribute on another thread yesterday, today at the game, his family put their own tribute on the screen at half time with a photo of him alongside it.

As you say a massive Everton and a larger than life character, enjoyed a few pints and loads of laughs with
Tony, sadly no more.

Steve Ferns
2 Posted 21/10/2018 at 20:43:42
I'm very sorry to hear it. May he rest in peace, no doubt putting in a good word for the Blues with the big fella.
John McFarlane Snr
3 Posted 21/10/2018 at 21:00:50
Hi Dave [2] although I didn't know your friend, I regard him as a member of the 'Everton Family', and if you [as I suspect you will] attend his funeral I think his family may take comfort knowing this.
Bobby Mallon
4 Posted 22/10/2018 at 16:12:40
RIP
Ray Atherton
5 Posted 22/10/2018 at 16:26:10
I put this tribute on a different thread but John G put
his out later.

So sad to hear about Tony Kelly. We were like brothers growing up, going to SFX Infants and Juniors in the same class. Both of us passing the 11+ to the same college in 1958.

We hitchhiked to places like London, Cardiff and Ipswich when we were about 15 or 16.

We hitched to an Arsenal night game about 1962 which was eventually postponed. We were told by the Everton Chairman Dick Searle in Euston station.

God Bless my old mate Tony. Thanks for the memories. RIP.

Tony Everan
6 Posted 23/10/2018 at 12:44:14
Rest in peace.
Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 23/10/2018 at 17:56:30
God bless Tony Kelly, a great Evertonian, who loved a laugh, loved his football, and was also someone who knew what he was talking about!
Jay Harris
8 Posted 23/10/2018 at 19:08:31
RIP Tony Kelly.

Another great Evertonian to pass through the Pearly Gates.

Will Mabon
9 Posted 23/10/2018 at 19:19:47
Condolences to his family and friends. Seems he was well liked and respected - the best thing you can leave behind you.
Dave Abrahams
10 Posted 26/10/2018 at 17:35:37
Just as a matter of interest to anyone interested, Tony's funeral is at SFX church next Friday 2-11-2018 at 10:30 am and 11:30am at Anfield Crematorium.
John G Davies
11 Posted 26/10/2018 at 19:27:00
Anyone going who needs a seat, get there early. Tony's funeral will be a full house. A very well-liked and respected man, Tony.
Tom Hughes
12 Posted 28/10/2018 at 00:28:40
A great Evertonian and a great fella too. Don't think I've ever known a blue who spoke as passionately about all things Everton... and I've known a few crackers on that score. He will be very sadly missed. SFX is a big church, but Tony will pack it!
Dave Abrahams
13 Posted 02/11/2018 at 19:17:03
Tom (12), Tom you were correct, the church was full to the door, Tony had a full house, Dave Kelly, well known on here and also as a great Evertonian, gave a lovely
speech about Tony straight from the heart, which was very well received.

Tony was clapped out the door of the church and his hearse was clapped on it's way to the crematorium where, no doubt, another big crowd were waiting to pay there last respects to a lovely man and a great Evertonian. R I P Tony Kelly.

Eugene Ruane
14 Posted 04/11/2018 at 12:40:23
Very sad.

We followed each other on twitter and often chatted.

A great Evertonian.

Thoughts with his family.

Requiescat in pace.

John G Davies
15 Posted 04/11/2018 at 14:21:31
Dave,

Like you, I went to the church but not the crematorium. I heard when they played Z-Cars in the crematorium, the family were dancing. A fitting tribute to a good man.

Tony, or his family, requested family flowers only. In lieu of flowers, they asked for donations to the food banks that help people. A sign of the man he was.