No lunchtime game but Saturday's 3pm matches in the Premier League include:

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Fulham vs AFC Bournemouth
Liverpool vs Cardiff City
Southampton vs Newcastle United
Watford vs Huddersfield Town

And the evening game is:

Leicester City vs West Ham United

Reader Comments (27)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 27/10/2018 at 15:52:43
A certain Gerard Deulofeu scores a pretty sweet goal for Watford.

Seems he's been out injured for some time... just returning.

Rob Halligan
2 Posted 27/10/2018 at 16:23:45
Glenn Hoddle has been rushed to hospital with a serious illness while working as a pundit for BT Sport.
Michael Kenrick
3 Posted 27/10/2018 at 16:35:12
Tough for poor old Glenn and his family and friends... but why cancel the BT Sport Score programme? Surely Mark Pougatch could stand in for him? Whatever happened to the good old adage "The show must go on"???

Everyone's gone soft. People are taken ill all the time. How many more programmes are they going to cancel? And if not, why not?

Michael Kenrick
4 Posted 27/10/2018 at 16:55:23
Both Watford and Bournemouth above us — both winning 3-0 and opening up a 4-point gap for us to close... showing how hard it will be for us to make upward progress in the Premier League table having squandered those early points before our burst of 3 wins on the bounce.

Good that Brighton beat Wolves 1-0 to stop them leapfrogging over us!

David Barks
5 Posted 27/10/2018 at 17:22:01
Michael,

Are you being serious with that Hoddle post?

Christopher Marston
6 Posted 27/10/2018 at 17:42:10
Michael – either you're Piers Morgan in disguise or you're just a hard-nosed cretin of the highest order. Show a bit of respect man!
Sam Barrett
7 Posted 27/10/2018 at 17:44:42
Sounds like you've been at the Sherry, Michael?
Duncan McDine
8 Posted 27/10/2018 at 17:52:37
Glenn Hoddle didn't show too much respect for disabled people when he was England manager...

I'm not defending MK but I didn't find the comment offensive. Obviously I don't know the extent of how unwell he is, but it must be fairly serious IMO if they cancelled the show.

Steve Ferns
9 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:06:24
MK is a tad blunt, but football carried on, so why didn't the BT programme go ahead? I think MK has a point. And it doesn't mean anything against Hoddle. Despite being no friend of Everton, and a bit of a prat, I wish Hoddle a speedy recovery and good health.
Rob Halligan
10 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:10:01
Mark noble sent off for a deserved straight red card.
Michael Kenrick
11 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:11:03
Mark Noble red card. Foot well over the ball, studs square on the ankle. Correct decision.

Or am I being too harsh? Pfftuwey!

Rob Halligan
12 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:12:33
Think you called that one correct, Michael. It was a terrible challenge by Noble.
Michael Kenrick
13 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:15:27
Christopher and others, what are they going do when he dies? Turn off BT completely? I don't think so.

But it sets such a bizarre precedent. He was taken ill and they cancel a programme? I think there is a total lack of perspective in that decision.

Tommy Surgenor
14 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:19:35
I'm with MK on this one. The show must go on.

I remember watching WWF in my younger days and a performer died in the ring (Owen Harte). The show went on.

Even more recent, I believe one of their commentators suffered a heart attack during a live TV Broadcast. The show went on with utmost professionalism and respect for the injured party. Cameras were kept away while he received urgent medical attention and his dignity kept.

I did not see the BT broadcast but believe it should've continued on a somber note and it would also have acted as a vehicle for BT to provide updates to concerned viewers on the incident. As a professional and a football man, I'm sure it would be Glen's wishes.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

15 Posted 27/10/2018 at 18:21:29
Sorry to hear about Glen Hoddle being hospitalised. Personally, I find his punditry informative and insightful.

On the topic of past players falling ill/passing away, I was shocked to read about the truly great player Kevin Beattie's funeral yesterday, a full month after he died. I completely missed any announcement of his death last month.

Duncan Edwards and Tony Kaye were before my time, but from what I know of them Beattie played a similar game and was just as key to the Ipswich team he played for.

Some really nice tributes from old team mates on 'The Beat', not least (for our Northern Ireland Blues) his centre back partner, Alan Hunter. Their manager Bobby Robson described them as 'bacon and eggs' as they went together so well!

Beattie would cost a fortune in today's market. A giant of a player, in every way.

Andy Crooks
16 Posted 27/10/2018 at 20:12:48
I agree, Jay, Kevin Beattie was a fine player. I am sorry to hear of his death and am surprised at the apparent lack of coverage it has received. Thanks for reminding me of Alan Hunter. I saw him play many times. He and Beattie were, in my view, like Ratcliffe and Watson.

Back to the main thread, I am sorry to hear about Glenn Hoddle. Good player and coach. He was, I feel unfairly sacked by England for views which were bizarre but blabbered out by a man who I never thought "got" what was needed to manage England. Unlike you, Jay, I think his punditry demonstrates how silence is best for him. Hope he is okay.

Michael K, you remind me of my late mother in law who often hit the nail on the head but with toe-curlingly bad timing.

Steve Ferns
17 Posted 27/10/2018 at 21:28:22
Looks like the Leicester owner's helicopter has crashed. Unknown if he was in it, but why would it take off after the game without him? Doesn't look good for him at all.
Jim Bennings
18 Posted 28/10/2018 at 14:50:27
See our old mate Ross has scored again!
Tony Abrahams
19 Posted 28/10/2018 at 15:19:11
Zaha cheats again!
Geoff Trenner
20 Posted 28/10/2018 at 15:29:12
Made a couple as well Jim.
Michael Kenrick
21 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:16:25
"Only" 56,854 at Wembley for a massive top-of-the-table Premier League clash?

Bubble bursting?

Mike Jones
22 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:21:14
Second biggest attendance in the premier league this weekend I think, Michael. Maybe it's why we shouldn't wish for a stadium we may not fill every week at 60,000. Takes away from the atmosphere.

Isn't Juventus's new stadium only 45 to 55 thousand?

Lawrence Green
23 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:22:31
There is more than a chance of the bubble bursting, Michael. As Abraham Lincoln said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

Mike Jones
24 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:23:07
Just Googled. Only 41,000, apparently.
Paul Tran
26 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:50:14
Bear in mind that some Spurs fans have bought season tickets for the new stadium and have to pay again for the games at Wembley, which aren't cheap. And not everyone is filthy rich in that London. They'll fill it when they move in.
Lawrence Green
27 Posted 29/10/2018 at 21:52:37
Paul #26, That's yet another kick in the teeth for loyal match-going supporters, pay twice for the same match? Or do they get a refund on their original purchase?
Paul Tran
29 Posted 29/10/2018 at 22:14:46
Lawrence, I know a couple of Spurs fans who bought season tickets for the new stadium that were more expensive for seats that were inferior to those they'd had at White Hart Lane for years. They paid up anyway. Then it was just a couple of games at Wembley, then a couple more, then a few months more.

Both live on Herts/Essex border. Their quick, direct train journey to WHL has been replaced by going into Liverpool Street then out to Wembley on the tube. Frankly, I'm amazed Spurs get the crowds they get at Wembley.