The action kicks off early with Wolves hosting Liverpool on Friday night.

Then it's as near as it gets to a full slate on Saturday, with 8 games, 6 kicking off at 3:00 pm:

Arsenal 12:30 Burnley
Bournemouth 15:00 Brighton
Chelsea 15:00 Leicester
Huddersfield 15:00 Southampton
Man City 15:00 Crystal Palace
Newcastle 15:00 Fulham
West Ham 15:00 Watford
Cardiff 17:30 Man Utd

And that leaves just the one game on Sunday... at Goodison Park.

Reader Comments (115)

Colin Metcalfe
1 Posted 21/12/2018 at 21:36:42
RS being completely outplayed by Wolves but they are so deadly in front of goal 2 chances 2 goals and with Van Dijk surely they have the best central defender in the world at the moment!
2 Posted 21/12/2018 at 21:50:52
Van Dijk has completely transformed their defence Colin.

Sad thing about it is in summer 2015 Roberto Martinez was rumoured to be mulling over a move for Van Dijk (who was then at Celtic) but he ended up going to Southampton instead.

We ended up with Funes Mori which needs no more saying on it.

Trevor Powell
3 Posted 21/12/2018 at 22:19:15
Just been told by my wife that if you search for GOBSHITES on Google Maps, it will direct you to...

[I won't spoil the surprise but I guarantee you will over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 22/12/2018 at 09:31:12
Trevor (3), well it made me smile. It all helps at the moment!!!
5 Posted 22/12/2018 at 14:07:02
Watching Burnley, fighting for everything at Arsenal, and think that is all we can ask for tomorrow, everyone fighting for the team.

Listening to the Arsenal crowd, and think that they are not really helping their team. It’s easy, when it’s easy, but you need people to get behind you when things aren’t going so well.

So if the Everton players fight against Spurs, the crowd will get right behind them, and if we are going to win, then this is what’s needed tomorrow!

Derek Knox
6 Posted 22/12/2018 at 14:20:16
Alright Tony mate, I am also watching the Arsenal game, and like you say Burnley are indeed covering their deficiencies by hard graft and chasing everything down. Here's hoping we can match Spurs tomorrow, which won't be easy by any means.

We could do with some points, or we could find ourselves halfway down the Table in a couple of games, and a few tricky games on the horizon.

7 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:34:30
If we don’t start getting some wins on the board then we are looking at another mid-table finish let’s be honest.

Going in to tomorrow’s game we could be 11th.

This league is unforgiving when you hit a run without winning and every season our biggest problem is far too many draws.

I’d much rather win one and lose one when we play Burnley and Brighton rather than another two frustrating draws.

8 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:35:29
Ooooo — wonderful low hard strike by Schlupp for Crystal Palace, just inside the far post.

Are you watching, Dominic Calvert-Lewin? How to strike a football, 101.

9 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:37:32
Andros Townsend just scored an absolute worldie to put Palace 2-1 up at City.
10 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:38:13
Funny Michael, did you know that this kid once scored the winner in a World Cup final?
11 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:38:23
OMG!! Fantastic volley from Adros Townsend! Straight as an arrow, brilliant technique.

Gotta say it again — Are you watching, Dominic Calvert-Lewin? How to strike a football, 201.

Brilliant stuff... but bad news for us Liverpool haters!!!

12 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:39:39
Funny how other teams seem to travel away to the top six sides and score goals freely yet no matter how much cash we spend we hear the same cry.

“Oh but we are in transition so we can't be expected to score goals at top six venues.”

Utter bollox.

13 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:40:59
Had a feeling Palace, who have been unlucky every time I’ve watched them, would give City, a real game today. Let’s just hope it’s only Christmas that Liverpool get out of it come May.
14 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:41:59
Yea, Jim, Arsenal are also in transition with a new manager let's see, but they're in the big city, and they have a big stadium.

Oh, and that U20 World Cup Final goal scuffed in off his shin, didn't it?

15 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:43:15
City might still win today but you do get the feeling they've had a home defeat coming.

They were there for the taking last week but – in typical Everton fashion – we gifted them three goals and missed our chances to hurt them.

To me, I don't call it transition, I just call repeating the same mistakes on a regular basis – the first signs of madness.

16 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:44:19
I thought Burnley were unlucky, especially with loads of little decisions made by the officials, and to hear that old Arsenal player, Alan Smith, say it wasn't an obvious offside. That made me wonder how he would have felt if the last goal had been scored at the other end?

17 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:44:20
I don't know, Michael, but what an achievement it must be for any footballer, even if it was only for the Under-20s?
Joe McMahon
18 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:45:04
Michael Kenrick – How dare you question Dominic Calvert-Lewin's shooting? Many on here will be on your case for stating what is clearly obvious. He's only young yer know, he keeps being played out of position etc. His fluffed shot against Liverpool was a one-off.
19 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:49:01
Listen, Calvert-Lewin can hit a ball equally as hard as my 6-year-old niece, so stop dissing him lol.
20 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:49:59
So was his scuffed shot in the U20 World Cup Final, Joe!
21 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:53:29
You repeat these mistakes every week, Jim! Haha!!
22 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:55:58
I'm openly admitting I've long since gone mad, Tony.

Caused by too many years watching Everton, lol.

23 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:58:26
Funny Jim, they’ve done it to loads of us mate!
Tom Bowers
24 Posted 22/12/2018 at 15:58:51
Burnley have been a good, battling team all season but don't get the rewards. However, that has been said of many teams that eventually have been relegated.

You need to have a good firing line as we all know goals get you points just as RS fans. Burnley have little up front as Wood has been a dud with injuries.

Could be a typical miserable Christmas weekend if Man City and Everton lose.

Joe McMahon
25 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:01:50
Tony @20, when Spurs sign him to replace Harry Kane, I'll hold my hands up that I was wrong.
26 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:05:20
I got it wrong, Tony. He passed it to the goalie, who knocked it back to him, and then he passed it into the net. Great moment. They all count.

I just wish he could put his laces through the ball. Hit it hard but true. He can't have become a Premier League striker without that basic skill, surely???

27 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:06:42
And incredible empty seats at the Emptihad. I guess it's the rain.
28 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:09:51
OMG 2... Palace hit post, penalty... SCORE!!!!

Man City 1 - 3 Crystal Palace

OMG 4 shots: 1 hit post, 3 go in. Never seen anything like it. Can't believe that professional footballers can be so clinical in finishing. It's unreal!

29 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:17:51
Palace 3-1 up!

Leicester winning at Chelsea.

Remind me again why it’s only us that can’t win away to a top six club?

30 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:17:59
Fair point, Michael, but I didn't see Lineker put his foot through it that often, maybe his penalties against Cameroon, but I do know what you mean.

Joe, I will hold my hand up and say I saw England, with Harry Kane leading the line, get knocked out of an Under-20s World Cup a few years ago, and when someone on TW described him as a young Lee Chapman, I couldn't have agreed more.

Calvert-Lewin has definitely got a good chance in the game, IMO, and my only frustration so far this season is that I don't think Silva has played him up-top anywhere near enough.

Anthony Murphy
31 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:24:45
City and their fans are complacent... Looking at the fixtures, I can see the RS opening a sizeable gap over Crimbo.
32 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:34:51
Let’s hope West Ham don't equalise otherwise we are 12th.
Joe McMahon
33 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:35:08
Tony, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Over the years I've also seen Branch, Cadamarteri, Jeffers and many more non scoring strikers wear an Everton shirt. Blue tinted specs can cloud many over.

Many loved the goal scoring machine Steven Naismith (yes I know Chelsea hatrick), but he couldn't even make the first team at Championship Norwich and has even been loaned to Hearts.

Kunal Desai
34 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:37:07
To those that live in the vicinity of liverpool. Clear off for a few months out of the city in the summer, It will be painful seeing those lot gloating daily about winning the league.
35 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:42:23
Fully intend to Kunal.

I’ve got a horrible feeling Guardiola wants the Champions League as his priority this season and I can really see the Redshite winning the Premier League they don’t concede goals and down the other end they keep scoring them, it’s the perfect recipe for success.

36 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:45:55
Come on City you twats!
37 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:46:32
Gerry’s just put Watford 2-0 up!
38 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:50:32
Jesus heads in against us; heads over against Palace. Would ya credit it?
39 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:51:57
Fine Joe, but I thought the only thing Franny Jeffers, did wrong was leave Everton way too early. His movement was top class, and funnily enough I don’t think he had that much power in his shot either.

I class Franny as a real wasted talent, whereas I always class Steven Naismith as somebody who got the best out of himself.

Anyway I hope you are wrong for obvious reasons, but as I said yesterday, Calvert Lewin possibly splits the fan-base as much as any player on the clubs books.

John Keating
40 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:52:01
Looking to take a holiday starting around April for at least 12 months.

Anywhere will do as long as there's no phone or internet signal.

Grateful for any ideas.

41 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:52:19
Why was that not a penalty against Ederson???
42 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:53:28
Leicester (who’s manager Puel has been told he’s on the brink of being sacked) have gone above us.

Are we really making the progress we believe or are we just clouding our judgement after Sam Allardyce?

To me, other clubs seem to get surprise results, Palace and Leicester winning away to the top six, yet with Everton, it just feels like everything stays the same, year-in & year-out.

43 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:53:57
Here is the explanation, Jim@29:

It’s got nothing to do with belittling us as "plucky little Everton" and everything to do with the reality of the top of the Premier League as it currently is, where we currently are and how far the playing field has shifted in just the last couple of years.

We patently are further behind those top five/six teams in terms of "squad development, finances, investment, etc," and the Arsenal (a), Chelsea (a) and, to a lesser extent, Manchester United (a) games were cases in point, ones that underlined the greater quality that each side possesses on the one hand and the fact that we still lack consistent quality, belief, and consistency going forward on the other.

Yea... right.

Chelsea 0 - 1 Leicester City
Man City 2 - 3 Crystal Palace

Plucky little Everton drop to 11th

Everton — Know Your Place!!!!

44 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:57:09
On the banks of the royal blue Mersey.
Charles Brewer
45 Posted 22/12/2018 at 16:58:52
Oh well. Palace have just shown Everton what is possible at the Etihad if you shoot straight.

The only good thing is that the RS fans will be even more disappointed when Slippy II takes place some time in February.

46 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:01:17
Exactly, Michael.

I find it hard to fathom really why Everton is the only club that can't ever seem to break the mould and get a surprise victory anymore in a game that we aren't supposed to win.

Were Palace and Leicester meant to win today, two clubs in turmoil?

We constantly use excuses about transition but it's transition every year without concrete change in results. We could get David Moyes back in three years time when Silva leaves and the results will probably have been no different really to when he first left.

It's just frankly weird that no matter what manager or players we sign or money we spend, we still can't get a big win to make a real statement of intent.

Transition doesn't stop you winning one-off football matches.

47 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:05:55
That's it then? They have won the league?

Totally different ball game now being favourite. Let's see how they handle it.

Marcus Taylor
48 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:06:30
Jim, Jim, Jim. So naive. We're in transition... erm... fatigue!

Erm... It's better than it was under Allardyce... if we could finish, we'd be in the top 4...

Clear progress...erm... don't expect miracles overnight... this time next year, though... yeah, but we've had tough away games...

Erm... did I mention 'transition'?

Eddie Dunn
49 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:06:33
Palace and Leicester have just pointed the way. If only our players believed...
William Gall
50 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:08:06
After today's results, it is starting to look like the Xmas period of games is going to make or break our season!!!
John Keating
51 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:08:51
Yes, Michael, but apparently we would rather see us playing open exciting football – and NOT win – than "hoofball" and get results.

Personally, I'm still waiting to see the open exciting football. Maybe it will start with tomorrow's game?

52 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:09:10
The attendance at City was due to leaves on the lines.
53 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:23:01
Manchester City: two losses in their last three Premier League matches.

Hmm... tell me, which one did they win?

Paul Tran
54 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:24:25
Three weeks ago, we were approaching a derby with confidence. Now, whenever I come on here, I get depressed. What's changed?

This is the bottom 15 of the league, where everyone can beat each other. We won't progress till we consistently beat the teams around/below us.

During the Moyes years, the heroic 1-0 wins against Man Utd were usually followed by a dismal draw or defeat against the likes of Norwich and Derby.

If I'm honest, I was more annoyed by the dropped points against Watford & Newcastle than those against them & Man City. We need players who can score goals. Nothing to do with curses, Everton, that, or anything else. We need goals.

55 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:33:40

There you go Michael 😀😀

Darren Hind
56 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:39:06
You're missing the point, Paul.

We haven't got an experienced centre-forward so what we need to do is batter away at the youngster who will be asked to step up.

If we all get behind this brilliant idea, we may be able to destroy his confidence completely... Then we can sign a top class striker instead because the other clubs will really want to give us a helping hand at their own expense.

Evertonians kicking Everton when we haven't even played... that's gorra be a first, hasn't it?

John Keating
57 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:41:34
Paul, you are correct in that we need players who can score goals.

However, we also need a pragmatic coaching team that can adjust the team and tactics to suit the opposition.

Unless you have a squad/team like Ma City and unfortunately the RS, who can play their own game regardless then we have to adapt.

58 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:44:31
Bound to work, tell a kid learning his trade he's not good enough and guess what will happen.

And no, it's not a first; Evertonians are good at destroying players' confidence. Happens regularly over the seasons.

Paul Tran
59 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:46:45
I'll raise your salient point, Darren. When we had a top notch striker, he got pelters on here and I kept getting told he'd be easy to replace. Hmmmm....

Calvert-Lewin has ability, has promise. I'd play him up front and give him a run of games. I'd beg people on here to show him some understanding.

Any criticism he gets needs to be directed at those who couldn't keep a good striker and appear unable to replace him.

Alan J Thompson
60 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:48:40
Tosun, a Turkish international, has he played Champions League football? No experienced centre forward? What we really need is one who consistently finds the back of the net while worrying opposition defenders. Will that be Calvert-Lewin, quite possibly, but he just doesn't seem so at the moment given the number of games he is getting.
61 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:54:36
John G Davies

Well how about the Everton players down the years that have put in so many displays that slap loyal fans in the faces in big games?

You get what you deserve.

Everton fans would like to see something back from time to time.

Nobody is asking to win the Champions League or win the Premier League (we’ll leave that to little old Leicester to drum up a shock).

But hell, we can’t even celebrate a Merseyside derby win these days.

So sorry John but don’t talk to me about the loyal paying fans destroying players, who are financially set up for life despite regularly hitting the heights of failure.

62 Posted 22/12/2018 at 17:57:19
Which players are you thinking about Jim?
Paul Tran
63 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:01:09
Jim, I'd agree with you regarding so many of our 'senior' players, but we're talking about DCL here (and I'd throw in Davies). Young lads who give their all despite their inexperience. I've got no problem with their attitude. I wish more of our players had the same.
64 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:01:57
Take a look down the years John and you’ll be able to select many of our so-called “big players” never showing up for the big games that meant something to the fans.
65 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:03:43
My point was about kids learning their trade Jim, I mentioned that in my post.
66 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:12:24
No-one has been booing Calvert-Lewin or Davies at the match, John, so I don't see how you come to a conclusion that, for years, the fans destroy players.
Darren Hind
67 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:16:07
WTF has "down the years" got to do with now?

Danny Cadamateri and Franny Jeffers didn't fulfil their potential... so let's batter every youngster who comes along... genius!

Nobody in the present set up can do a single thing about what has happened "down the years" even if some want to preserve the misery of them by referring to them in virtually every thread.

It's all about tomorrow's game.

68 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:17:04
I never said "booing" Jim.
Joe McMahon
69 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:36:13
Darren, I think it's the first time I've mentioned them to in over 13 years of posting on this site, so please don't acuse me of preserving the misery. Thank You.
Marcus Taylor
70 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:41:18
Just had a look at the Premier League table. We've already played 8 of the current Bottom 9 teams at Goodison Park (taking 17 points out of a possible 24).

Basically, we've got 9 of the current Top 10 still to play at home (plus Burnley) and, with our dreadful record on the road*, 11 tough away games. The remainder of the season will be a big test of Marco Silva.

* 8 wins in our last 46 PL away games.

71 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:52:29
So that means we have played most of the top half away from home then, and have got to play the bottom half on our travels then Marcus?

Get the knives out and sharpen them by all means, but only to start getting them ready to cut the turkey in a few days though.

72 Posted 22/12/2018 at 18:59:31
Marcus @70

Tony @71

ToffeeWeb in a nutshell.

Marcus Taylor
73 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:02:02
Tony. I honestly think the remaining fixtures will prove to be tougher than the ones we've had. The home games will be tougher for sure and there's no such thing as an easy away game for us. Like I said, it'll be a big test of Silva's ability – transition or no transition.
74 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:04:55
Fair, enough Marcus, only time will tell mate.
Rob Halligan
75 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:06:14
I've just looked at the league table. Should we win tomorrow, then we jump back up to 7th.
76 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:16:08
Never understood how asking for these highly-paid professionals to perform better is actually construed as "Evertonians kicking Everton when we haven't even played".

The thing is, Darren, we have played, and we have played well below our potential. That's the whole point!

That's not what it is, Darren, and I think you know it. Think about it in terms of that daft bit of Latin on the badge. Or instead let's batter every youngster who comes along.

So, we're battering every youngster who comes along, eh, Darren? You sure about that? Or are you telling porkies... agian.

Marcus Taylor
77 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:19:22
True, Tony!

Just for the record, I do actually want us to win! There seems to be a thing on ToffeeWeb that if you're not 100% positive or if you criticise then that means you want Silva sacked or that you're not backing the team. That's not the case at all. I want us to win but I also have the right to be critical along the way.

Have a good Christmas, mate!

78 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:26:00
We haven’t played today Michael, but it looks like some of today results have put people in a bad mood.

That’s only natural if you look at the tribal nature of football, but I’ve read you batter Calvert-Lewin, before today Michael, but I’m pretty sure it’s only because you want everyone to do better?

79 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:36:06
I hope everyone on ToffeeWeb has a good Christmas, but life’s not like that, it’s way too cruel at times.

That doesn’t stop me wishing best wishes to everyone though. I spent a little bit of time the other week, with a ToffeeWeb regular who beat terminal cancer, and I’m sure the only way that’s possible is through having loads of faith.

So I will end the night by saying, have faith everybody, and with Liverpool being top of the league right now, then hope that the saying is true about he who laugh’s last, laugh’s the longest! Keep the faith, keep the faith, keep the faith. Xx.

80 Posted 22/12/2018 at 19:51:28
Tony, some of today's results have only served to show up the disingenuous twaddle some of the self-proclaimed rationalists post on here to explain how we are doing our best and that it's unreasonable to suggest that we should be doing any better.

That's all.

81 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:05:23
Folks!
Dave Abrahams
82 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:07:30
Michael (80), there is also quite a few of us saying Brands and Silva have only really just begun planning Everton's future, give them time.

Yes, mistakes have been made by the manager and he will make some more. We now are a better team to watch this season, for me at least, some fans – and genuine at that – will dispute that and also point out that it is results that count; fair enough, each to his own.

I believe we will continue to improve and so will the results, but I haven't got a magic wand to make it happen in a flash, and neither have Brands and Silva.

83 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:13:13

Da da dada da da

Don Alexander
84 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:15:26
Well said Dave Abrahams (#82). Patience is bloody hard to exercise given the past 30 years of mostly dross but M&M have only just started.

Before a ball was kicked this season, I said I'd be prepared to wait until next season before taking them to severe task. Up to now, I'm encouraged by what I see but even I can see there's a fair old way to go in acquiring better players before we have a hope in hell of top four.

That's not their fault, it's the fault of Kenwright who orchestrated the dross we've had to endure. Purging the club of his influence can't come soon enough for me.

85 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:20:35
Agree 100% Dave.

What did some of our fans expect after 17 league games?

Darren Hind
86 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:37:36
I don't need to tell porkies, Michael. Anybody reading this thread would only have to scroll back and see you and others were using the two strikes from Towsend and Schlup as a stick with which to beat Calvert-Lewin – I repeat he/we were not playing.

What I do know is that our inexperienced youngster has a far better strike rate than these two fantastic professionals.

Palace paid around £25M for these two. My money would be on our £1.5m youngster to score more than the pair of them. You can bet your life Roy Hodgson would trade that worldie for four or five tap-ins.

I don't know if Calvert-Lewin will become a striker who will play regularly for Everton. What I do know is I wouldn't swap him for a serial under achiever like Townsend in a million years.

87 Posted 22/12/2018 at 20:40:46
Yea, yeah, yeah, that's all the established and documented framework where we stand. Everybody knows and understands that.

But the fact is we can't score. We play better football than last season — I should bloody hope so! Why do we always keep coming back to that, though, as any kind of measure of our continuing failure to perform at the required level, given the massive improvements that have been put in place at very great expense since the dark days of Fat Sam?

I'm looking at the players we have now, and asking why I still have to suffer poor to at best mediocre No 10 performances from Sigurdsson; annoying "falling down" play, poor decision-making, and missed shots from our star player, Richarlison; and a hopeless lack of firepower in Calvert-Lewin???

I believe they could and should be doing a lot better. Maybe you don't. That's fine.

But I have the club motto on my side.

Dave Abrahams
88 Posted 22/12/2018 at 21:10:47
Michael (87), well as an example of why we are not doing better at the moment, have a look, a serious look at Klopp and Liverpool in his first six months at the club and have a look at them now after three or more years doing the job.

I'm not saying Silva and Everton will make those big differences but I am saying I expect them to be much much better than we are now, surely you can see we will definitely improve?

Yes or No, Michael? Come on, tell the truth and shame the devil.

John McFarlane Snr
89 Posted 22/12/2018 at 21:15:38
Hi Tony [various posts] Having had the pleasure of your company, I believe that you are a fair-minded individual, and it is my slightly biased opinion that we are like-minded.

I may be mistaken, but I also believe that, because we can't influence matters directly, we are as disappointed as any other supporter with the current situation. I know that there are some who deride the expression 'Transitional Period' but, as I understand it, a transitional period brings to mind the adage 'Rome wasn't built in a day', and in the football world, it's to be expected every time there is a change of management.

On a personal note, I hope that your prophecy, stating that you believe I will be in my seat at the Park End on New Years Day, comes about, but, I'm afraid I don't share your optimism.

Hi Michael [various posts], although I've never met you, I find your approach at times to be intolerant and offensive. I have no issue with your questions or opinions, it's the delivery of them that bothers me. I'm aware that as an editor of this site you can have the final say on any subject, and I respect that.

Paul Hewitt
90 Posted 22/12/2018 at 21:21:50
I really hope we win tomorrow. Just to cheer some of you up.
Brent Stephens
91 Posted 22/12/2018 at 21:27:49
Second that, Paul.
92 Posted 22/12/2018 at 00:11:06
Dave, in my lofty position, I'm very tempted to impose sanctions on sickening posts like yours (#80) that indulge in this obsequious fawning over Klopp and the Kopites at every turn, as if those utter gobshites are who we should be modelling ourselves on or comparing our progress with... Reading that stuff just boils my piss.

No, if you want to compare us with anyone, surely Arsenal would be a better object lesson. New manager arrives when? Oh yes... the same time as Silva. He seems to have a number of expensive imports as lynchpins to the team who weren't performing well under the last old fella but he's now seeing them bring home the bacon. That's what I think we should be seeing at Everton. Starting with Sigurdsson. Don't you agree? Yes or No.

You keep posting saying you are certain they are going to be better than they are now, as if that should somehow molify any desire to see any real improvement just yet. Simply put, we should ignore the shit today because, yes, you guessed it — there will be Jam Tomorrow.

Sorry, Dave, but your vacuous guarntees are not worth the paper they aren't written on. It's always Jam Tomorrow. There's always an excuse. A plethora of excuses. Sorry but I'm sick of hearing them. Why, you've somehow even gotten to Darren and softened him up in recent weeks. Soon it'll be just me and Jim wailing in the wilderness.

[Johnny Mac, I pulled a few punches on the delivery here to keep it clean and wholesome; hope it isn't too much of a shock to your delicate condition still... If not, then please grasp firmly to your zimmer frame as you read this, while I work on attenuating my "intolerant and offensive" tone. ]

93 Posted 23/12/2018 at 00:23:19
You're always telling porkies, Darren — you know you are... but like Trump, you never admit it. Witness recent thread.

These feats were pointed out as clear examples to Calvert-Lewin of how to shoot at goal. Not to beat him – what good would that do? – but to inspire him to greater things. I think they call it "constructive criticism" in the motivational literature.

You go off then on one of your bizarre tangents, introducing the notion that Calvert-Lewin and Townsend should somehow be switched or traded. Fantasy Football, Darren. Sorry but I have no time for it.

Paul Hewitt
94 Posted 23/12/2018 at 00:27:57
Michael @92. The rs are top of the league and unbeaten. Do I want to model Everton on them? To bloody right I do.
Don Alexander
95 Posted 23/12/2018 at 00:38:07
Mikky Ken, it's not fawning at all, to me it's Dave's cold hard appraisal of the real world to which we all aspire to be a part of as soon as possible.

And for what it's worth I generally empathise with the points made by Jim Bennings and you, especially when it comes to the softness too often seen in Everton teams year upon year and, under Kenwright, decade after decade, exemplified for me by the appointment as a player and "coach" of the likes of drunken Duncan, a bloke who consistently did a bunk whenever it suited him, to the club's, and fans', cost.

M&M are trying to dig us out of a ginormous sentimental lovey-dovey hole, and I fear it'll take more than two dozen games to achieve it, that's all.

Best wishes, Don.

Darren Hind
96 Posted 23/12/2018 at 06:05:54
Like I say, Michael, people only have to scroll back.

I just hope Calvert-Lewin scores the winner today.

97 Posted 23/12/2018 at 06:54:20
Michael Kenrick, okay lets compare the mess left by Koeman, and Walsh, and possibly Allardyce, to the thoroughly professional set-up left behind by Wenger.

I hope you see the funny side of that John Mc, even if you don't actually find Mr Kenrick even remotely funny?

Even Darren is not taking the bait, “Lofty!”

Laurie Hartley
98 Posted 23/12/2018 at 07:53:46
99 Posted 23/12/2018 at 08:03:12
Not a good move that Michael, hitting Dave with the Liverpudlian stick because he disagrees with you.

If you and I live to be 100, we could only hope to be the Evertonian that Dave is.

John McFarlane Snr
100 Posted 23/12/2018 at 09:45:47
Hi Tony [97], there's a possibility that this could be my last contribution to this site, because my next might be given the 'red card'. I can't sit and read the response that your Dad received without comment.

I don't find it remotely funny, and I think that Dave deserves a lot of respect for the gentlemanly way he imparts his knowledge, an input valued by many 'ToffeeWebbers'.

In the relatively short time that I have known Dave, I find that like all fans there is a bias, that's what football is all about, he is in no way what I would term a 'Bitter Blue. In the event of this being my final post, I think you have my contact details.

Darren Hind
101 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:13:46
I didn't see that post, I was too busy answering my own.

Michael

Dave A didn't "soften me up". I've disagreed with him many a time, but his response has always been polite and respectful. That kind of response makes you respectful in return.

Dave's old school. He will give credit where it's due, even if it's to the enemy.

John McFarlane Snr
102 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:16:45
Michael Kenrick [92], thank you for the response to my latest post. You will know from previous posts that I am an octogenarian, with medical issues, and the reference to the accident that I suffered a couple of weeks ago, contained the sarcasm I expected.

I would like to take this opportunity to give you a brief history of my life as an Evertonian, I was born on 15 July 1938 in the Everton district of Liverpool, into an Everton family, and since the age if 10 years I have been a dedicated supporter.

Dave Abrahams was also born in Everton and, like myself he has been a keen follower of the club. I think that the way you dealt with his perfectly rational post was disrespectful. Dave, myself, and many others have very little love for Liverpool Football Club, but recognise and appreciate quality when we see it; is this a reason to belittle us?

It's possible that you and I will never exchange posts again – on your part because you have control of the button... and mine, if I'm allowed to contribute, will be because we have nothing in common.

Mark Murphy
103 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:20:11
I've watched Everton since the late '60s. Through the '70s and early '80s I went home and away – most games. I missed the best part of the '80s through living abroad and live too far away now to attend regular home games.

The point is, for the vast majority of my years with the Blues, I've looked forward to games but often left disappointed. By Monday, I couldn't wait for the next game as I always believed we'd come good. And we did.

I'm looking forward to today's game and, if we lose it, I'll still be looking forward to the next. Especially the Brighton game as I have a ticket with our amazing away supporters.

We are getting better – only people with short memories can't see the difference between now and 12 months ago and, whilst the results aren't happening yet, I am 100% confident they will when we click. We are a couple of players short of a top 6 side – I accept that – but I'm very confident that we are heading there.

Rome was not built in a day and an Everton team challenging for honours will need at least two more transfer windows and some time of stability to get there... so just be patient and enjoy the ride.

And hope in the meantime the dark side crumble, as that's testing even my nerve!

Happy Christmas to Blues everywhere!

104 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:29:26
John 102,

After reading your post I went back and read Michael's post at 92 in reference to yourself.

Having read the last paragraph, words fail me.

Mark Murphy
105 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:46:42
John G and John Mac in the spirit of Christmas I'm hoping that the written word in black and white doesn't convey the “tongue in cheek” humour behind the comments.

As a recipient of Zimmer frame comments myself I can take them face to face and respond in kind. I hope Michael was just intending some misguided humour...

Come on guys - it's Christmas time!! Peace and love to all men... Except gobby koppites!

Brent Stephens
106 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:50:53
Time for a moderator to step in and stop the nastiness in this thread.

Dave and Tony A, John Mc - all have a great xmas.

Len Hawkins
107 Posted 23/12/2018 at 10:59:31
John #104,

I agree, we are all entitled to an opinion and we are all entitled to disagree with other opinions but when it becomes personal especially to a man who in my short time on here has never said a bad word about any other poster and who's knowledge of all things Everton is imperious.

We all want success and over the last 30 years there has been very little so I am in the "give the new regime a chance" brigade. They have had ONE, yes, ONE transfer window to try and weed out mediocre players and bring in players to improve things. Rome like Everton FC 2018 was not built in ONE transfer window.

Eddie Dunn
108 Posted 23/12/2018 at 11:03:27
As a footnote. Andros Townsend is a one-trick-pony and the long-range shot is his only weapon. He doesn't score many goals and I would suspect that, if he was our player, he would get dog's abuse every week.

Sigurdsson scored a worldy against Leicester, but was soon being slagged-off again.

Steve Ferns
109 Posted 23/12/2018 at 12:16:27
Can't believe what I've seen written here. Christmas time and peace and good will for all men and all that... unless you're a fellow Evertonian.

Of course the team is in transition, we have a new manager who is changing things. And yes, we've been in transition for most of the last 6 years, if you don't want transition then stop demanding the manager be sacked or you'll just get another season or two of transition.

Arsenal are in transition. If you actually know any Arsenal fans, they'll tell you how lucky they've been. Until a few games ago, they'd not been convincing in victory. They're also only slightly up on points compared to last season. We're up, but barely, on last season.

Our performances deserve more and I think we'll be seeing a lot more results over the next 6 games, starting today.

Peter Gorman
110 Posted 23/12/2018 at 12:22:42
Eddie, I don't know if Townsend is a pony or not but he is a bloody hard worker. But yeah, obviously he'd get dog's abuse from the faithful.
Dave Abrahams
111 Posted 23/12/2018 at 14:24:22
Michael (92), just got on my iPad a few minutes ago and just read your post... Me, fawning over Liverpool? No way! As another poster said, telling the truth, as I see it, is in no way fawning.

You don't know me at all, Michael, I begrudge every point they have won or are likely to win in the future, but it will never stop me telling the truth as I see it.

They are now a very good team, it hurts to see them where they are and I'm praying for a bad patch to hit them, a very long bad patch but I'm also waiting for Everton's turn to hit the high spots and, yes, I am convinced it will come under the present people who are running the club. With a good striker, as we all know, we would already be in the top six — and that's after just six months. The club has changed massively in that short time, for the better I believe, and will continue to improve, starting today hopefully.

Michael, have a good Christmas and I honestly have no problem with your chastisement, no problem. I'll be writing in the same way until I realise the club is on the wrong track.

John McFarlane Snr
112 Posted 23/12/2018 at 14:40:31
Hi Dave [111] it would appear that the fair minded supporter is an endangered species, I am strongly in your corner when it comes to stating the truth, no matter how unpleasant it may be to others.

There are four or five teams in particular, who play the football we would love to watch on a regular basis, and unfortunately Liverpool are part of that group. Best wishes for today, and let's hope we will be enjoying a 'Festive Season'. John.

Brian Bates
113 Posted 23/12/2018 at 15:13:45
Michael @ 92
"No, if you want to compare us with anyone, surely Arsenal would be a better object lesson. New manager arrives when? Oh yes... the same time as Silva."

Lacazette & Aubameyang or Tosun & Niasse.

2 proven goalscorers make a massive difference to even an average team.

Laurie Hartley
114 Posted 23/12/2018 at 21:11:05
Michael K - I am guessing you will be feeling pretty down in the dumps just now.

Sometimes we can say things we regret when we feel strongly about an issue. Like me the other day with my “anyone who wants Lukaku back can fuck off” comment on the Augustin thread – for which I now apologise to all those “who do” and also those “who don't”.

Rightly or wrongly, I think like I did, you went in too hard on this one. I don't know Dave or Tony (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree), but they come across as rabid Evertonians to me and men who I would go the game with if I still lived in England.

Accept Dave's olive branch at 111 – a good example for all of us. It will be better for everyone.

115 Posted 23/12/2018 at 22:16:38
Thanks for taking that in the right spirit, Dave – unlike some other sensitive old souls on here!

For me, there's far too much written about Liverpool on this website. I don't give a monkey's how true it may be — they are the last team in the world I want to see any mention of on what is supposed to be an Everton website.

There's only two occasions when I would countenance talk of them hated bastards — when they are losing or suffering other misfortune... and when they are playing us. Ideally, these two should be one, but we know how rarely that happens these days...

All the best for your Solstice Celebrations, Dave, and let's hope the New Year brings better results for Silva and his team.