The relegation picture became that much clearer as Cardiff's defeat at Fulham took them to the brink of demotion back to the Championship while Southampton's 3-3 draw with Bournemouth confirmed their Premier League status for another year.

Wolves beat Watford to take another step towards securing seventh place and possible Europa League qualification while at the top Manchester City responded to Liverpool's victory over Huddersfield by claiming all three points at Burnley

Reader Comments (39)

Alan Bodell
1 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:06:40
Getting scared now City 0-0 can't drop a point now, nut cutter.
David Nelson
2 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:26:16
Man city In front relax
Darren Hind
3 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:26:28
Get in Aguero
Derek Knox
4 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:35:03
Watching the Burnley v Man City game, I wouldn't mind betting that Sky, if the score remains as is, or increases for City, won't show Mr Ed's (Klippety's) kipper, what a shame!
Steve Brown
5 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:51:42
John Stones clearance was 1.12 cm away from crossing the line. Aguero's goal crossed the line by just 0.29 cm. This title race could be decided by a matter of 1.41 cm.
Steve Brown
6 Posted 28/04/2019 at 15:52:59
That must be upsetting for the shite.
Karl Jones
7 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:02:13
Newcastle, with the teary-eyed Spanish Waiter, will give them another soft three points next week...

Man City will have a hard fight against Leicester City... they look a pretty good side.

Paul Birmingham
8 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:02:43
Some solace from Turf Moor. Let's hope Barca are prepared after last night.

Now to beat Burnley on Friday.

Brian Williams
9 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:21:53
Steve #148.

It was 2.9 cm mate. Get yer decimal points right... lol.

Steve Brown
10 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:26:53
Sorry Brian, maths never was my strong point!
Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:37:53
It's getting harder to wait for City's results, I read part of a book (it wasn't a prayer book) until the game was over then peeped slowly at the good news, it must have been an eternity to anyone watching or listening to the game, another two games and two weeks before the end.
Bill Watson
12 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:39:11
I just don't want them to win the PL. Not bothered about the CL because even if they staggered through, and won that, they'd still be gutted.

Our target must be to be just that. The summer recruitment/ reducing the wage bill will be crucial.

Dave: I was listening on the radio and had to turn it off when they announced the 4 mins added time.

I did some weeding and then had to decide how to see the result: either go online or switch the radio back on.

The stress is unbearable.

Darren Hind
13 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:45:59
Whats 1.4 cms between friends ?

If it stops them winning it...

Dave

It was an Eternity. Let's hope Rafa feels he has a score to settle and can galvanise his troops, so we can all sleep easy in out beds.

Brian Williams
14 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:50:55
Steve #157.

Very important to get it right mate for when we tell them lot how they missed out on winning the Prem by xx.xx something I pray we'll be able to do, in a totally jovial non-bitter way of course. 😇

Peter Mills
15 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:53:16
It was not pretty watching City, they reminded me of me when I did the London Marathon, staggering down the last mile.

They looked very tired, but now have a clear week to rest up. And Guardiola is a canny guy.

Tony Hill
16 Posted 28/04/2019 at 16:58:44
A beautiful way for them to win. I'm a bit worried that Brendan Ego has Leicester playing well but they should be beaten at the Etihad. It's all excruciating, we had people over for Sunday lunch and I was incredibly rude looking at the score every 2 minutes, but it had to be done.
Tony Abrahams
17 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:01:28
That City game was starting to remind me of a horrible night I once had at Oxford, so thank god for “Serge The Scourge” and if City do win the league, (hopefully next Saturday night goes a long way) then I will be very thankful to VAR!

Thought it was horrible the way they went out of Europe, but they looked very tired today, and really look like they need the 8 days rest until they play again, hopefully needing just a win to retain their title!

Christy Ring
18 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:04:11
Forgot to mention, come on City.
John Pierce
19 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:12:02
I'm fully confident the Shite will win both games. I'm equally sure so will Man City. And the last team to take points off them lot will have been.... us, right?
Dermot Byrne
20 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:25:36
From RaWk

Posts: 828

Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #14301 on: Today at 04:45:19 PM »
No matter how fucking disappointed we might be, time to remember that it's only fucking football at the end of the day.

Tom Bowers
21 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:27:04
Odds clearly in City's favour. RS have tough Champions league game to contend with. City have a nice break.
City got a squeaky goal today but RS have had their share of squeaky results also so no need for Klopp to moan.
Bottom line is that City are the better team, just.
Tony Hill
22 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:29:17
It's sad to watch De Gea now. A great goalkeeper demonstrating how devastating the mind can be when it betrays a sportsman.
John Pierce
23 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:39:49
Tony, he’s still as good, he just wants out. He’s just showing on the pitch.

Would you want to play behind that back four?

Brian Murray
24 Posted 28/04/2019 at 17:53:28
As has already been well documented, if they win the Champions League no doubt through their horse shoe crest of a club, we or I can sort of live with that because next season we will take at least 4 points off them so the long wait will continue.

Albeit fingers crossed Ajax or whoever make a name for themselves.
Tony Hill
25 Posted 28/04/2019 at 18:08:19
John, you might be right but it's an extraordinary way for him to go about it. It had crossed my mind that he was being deliberately or carelessly shit but I dismissed it because - perhaps foolishly - I couldn't imagine that someone like him could be so dishonourable.

How depressing if true.

Paul Tran
26 Posted 28/04/2019 at 18:15:07
I don't think he's being deliberately poor. I think he's performed well, often carried them, things aren't getting any better there, he wants out and that's cumulatively affecting his performance.

Like many in our squad, he's living proof that no matter how good a coach/manager is at tactical nuances on a laptop, it's getting into the minds of the players that makes the difference.

John Pierce
27 Posted 28/04/2019 at 18:31:38
He's just mentally checked out. He's also single handedly kept Man Utd afloat post Ferguson. Player of the season 4/5 years.

As a club, holed below the water line for some time. Unbelievable with his feet, supreme reactions, truly excellent keeper. Only Oblak better imo.

But imagine how much prep mentally you have to do knowing Smalling, Rojo or Jones will be your centre-backs?

Joe McMahon
28 Posted 28/04/2019 at 18:44:14
I went to Turf Moor today, my son supports Burnley (long story but my wife's from there). There were some Everton fans last season calling for Dyche for our next manager. No bloody way, they were so negative today (even though they are now safe) and they play was good all the time. The worst type of anti football I've ever seen from a home team.
Tony Hill
29 Posted 28/04/2019 at 18:58:55
John, I just don't see how that explains the appalling errors he's making.
Raymond Fox
30 Posted 28/04/2019 at 19:13:28
City are 1/5 to win the League now, 7/2 the reds.

Seems short for City, but they can probably draw one of their games and still win the competition because of a better goal difference.

Brian Williams
31 Posted 28/04/2019 at 19:18:17
Not if the rs win both their games they can't Raymond.
Brian Harrison
32 Posted 28/04/2019 at 19:47:01
Today was always going to be a tough game for Man City, Burnley are a very physical side and I thought Kompany was outstanding in the amount of headers he won. Let's not forget, they have had to play a lot of games this season without De Bruyne and Fernandinho.

But they didn't panic and kept playing the same way, you could see Guardiola had told them to up their tempo in the 2nd half, you could see Burnley players not being able to cover the gaps as well as they had in the 1st half.

You have to take your hat off to both sides going for the title, to keep winning like they have is almost unbelievable. The big thing in City's favour is no more midweek games, whereas the other lot have to travel to Barcelona then a couple of days later play away to Newcastle. I could see Newcastle getting a draw which would mean if Man City beat Leicester then a draw against Brighton would see them home. But I am hoping Newcastle win then City would be handed the trophy if they beat Leicester.

Martin Nicholls
34 Posted 28/04/2019 at 20:15:15
Never thought result was in doubt today. As Joe says, Burnley set out to contain and once they went behind the game was up. They do deserve some credit though for putting in 100% effort and commitment in stark contrast to the meek efforts of many of the red shite's recent opponents.
Michael Lynch
35 Posted 28/04/2019 at 20:46:31
Don't want to appear bitter but how lovely would it be if our battling 0-0 at Goodison turned out to be the game that stopped the Shite winning the PL?

I'd be able to live with them winning the CL as long as they don't win the PL. And especially if we can keep telling them it was us that stopped them

Rob Halligan
36 Posted 28/04/2019 at 21:10:53
Watching Goals on Sunday this morning, and seeing two cast iron penalties for holding turned down for Cardiff, has almost certainly meant relegation for them. Yet it's funny how the RS, and Salah in particular, constantly seem to get penalties for holding.

It was great to see that city goal today being literally millimetres from not crossing the line. That must have really felt like a right kick to the bollox for those RS fans. City don't half put you through the mill though. Their last two games I've almost been shitting it watching them. How on earth can we feel this way watching a team we don't even support? According to the RS, It seems now that Leicester will be citys most difficult game in the run in, then no doubt Brighton after thst.

I want this title decided before the last game though. We're on the train to Spurs, and the last thing we want is to pull into lime street on the Sunday night knowing them bastards have won the league. It will be impossible to get a pint anywhere as town will be crammed full of them.

Rob Halligan
37 Posted 28/04/2019 at 21:28:58
I should have said "title decided in citys favour", before the last game.
Tom Bowers
38 Posted 28/04/2019 at 23:20:15
Talking about today's games can anyone tell me why Manure never had two players sent off for ''red card'' offences ?

Oh, yes I forgot, one word Atkinson !!!! second only to Dean for incompetence.

Rob Halligan
39 Posted 28/04/2019 at 23:29:46
Tom, I'm watching MOTD, and I was just about to type that Marcos Rojo can fully expect a retrospective three match ban from the FA for that terrible over the top challenge, as it seemed Atkinson missed the challenge. However, did I catch out the corner of my eye, Atkinson flash a yellow card in the direction of Rojo? If so, then no retrospective ban for him.
Peter Mills
40 Posted 29/04/2019 at 07:40:57
Rob #36, as if the City players did not have sufficient pressure on them already, they now have to contend with the possibility that they may be responsible for coming between you and your pint after a long day in London. These players are not paid enough.

Hope you have a great day.