Best of Baines

by   |   27/07/2018  31 Comments  [Jump to last]

After both the slow and frustrating pre-season coupled with the ever-growing consensus that Leighton's better days are now behind him. I thought we could do with some positive discussion.

So my question to you all is; what are your favourite Baines memories over the last 11 years?

One of the moments that stands out for me would be his two free kicks vs West Ham in 13-14 but, with such a long career with us and contributing so much over the years, I wanted open it up for discussion.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (31)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 28/07/2018 at 11:34:36
Being behind the goal at Chelsea for the FA Cup replay when he knocked in the last-minute free kick.
Mike Galley
2 Posted 28/07/2018 at 14:16:24
I remember Bainsey scoring a free kick away to Newcastle. Probably my mind playing tricks on me, but I think he was about 150 yards out and didn't give the keeper a sniff!
William Cartwright
3 Posted 28/07/2018 at 16:29:37
The finale against Chelsea, the double against West Ham and the howitzer against the Toon. Amazing player and all round gentleman.
William Cartwright
4 Posted 28/07/2018 at 16:29:37
William Cartwright
5 Posted 28/07/2018 at 16:29:37
Darren Hind
6 Posted 28/07/2018 at 16:51:07
He'd already scored one free kick at Upton Park about ten minutes earlier. As he stood over another, Evertonians were screaming at him urging him to do "Sheedy" and put it in the other corner. The West Ham faithful howled their derision.

Up he steps . . . Absolute pandemonium.

Mike

I sat with my then boss watching that game at St James . He was a director of a national haulage company, He was also a completely delusional Geordie. As Baines stepped back to take that free kick he sniggered "He's having a fucking laugh, he'll never score from there"

The football Baines and Pienaar produced in a game at Goodison - also against Newcastle. Was as good as anything we have seen in the past 25 years. Brilliant, brilliant stuff, from a brilliant, brilliant player. Credit to Pienaar too. Their link up play was a thing of beauty.

I could go on all night talking about games like when he destroyed City at the Etihad, but I feel that if I do that, I will be accepting that his career is over.

His best days are obviously behind him, but I want to believe he still has one or two very special moments up his sleeve before he hangs his boots up.
Parading round Wembley with a cup (either one) would be a fitting end to the career of this wonderful servant

Mike Galley
7 Posted 29/07/2018 at 11:18:40
I was at West Ham when Bainsey scored the two free kicks. I got the first one on my phone camera/video. It's not something I normally do, but I had a feeling it was going to fly in.

I've an Evertonian friend in the USA who I try and send Everton stuff to. Stuff that's slightly different than the stuff she would normally receive. I sent her the video, wish I knew how to put it on here!

Incidentally, me and a friend bumped into Sheeds in The Grapes on Matthew st. a couple of weeks after that game. Being blues and drunk, we had to make a nuisance of ourselves and say hello. We mentioned Bainseys two free kicks and Sheeds said they were both brilliant.

I asked him if he thought Leighton could score twice from the same free kick. Sheeds winked at me and said "He's not that good!"

Darren Hind
8 Posted 30/07/2018 at 05:52:08
Hey Guys

Bainsey is the closest we have had to a modern day great for decades . . Five comments ????

Get your fingers out. Lets hear your favourite Baines moments

Amit Vithlani
9 Posted 30/07/2018 at 12:56:44
There are so many fantastic memories of Baines.

The Newcastle and West Ham games are definitely up there, but not just the goals he scored, some of his crosses were unreal.

The two crosses for Cahill and Arteta to equalise in dramatic fashion in the 3-3 against Man Utd – a game we could have won had the ref not blown – was memorable as both crosses had to be pinpoint.

The numerous pressure penalties he took and scored

The wonderful interplay with Pienaar - included a sumptuous Pienaar backheel for Bainsey to cross against Birmingham away (when we were wearing our horrible pink shirts).

Conversely, the memory of Mirallas taking away the penalty from Leighton too, stands out – a team man through and through, he did not make a fuss of it and whilst Jags should have stepped in as skipper, Leighton's unassuming personality meant Mirallas would always get his way.

In a way, the lack of professionalism, care and effort that so many players, including Mirallas, have shown on the pitch was symbolised by this one moment, where a selfish, egotistical player like Mirallas put his glory ahead of the needs of the team. Baines, a team player to a fault, let him have his way, and the lack of leadership from Jagielka was all too evident in that incident.

Paul Ellam
10 Posted 01/08/2018 at 20:14:51
My greatest memory of Leighton Baines was when he turned down the chance to go to Man Utd and stayed with us!

He showed in that moment that some players do have loyalty, can be happy with their lot, and do want to do their best for their local club.

I have been watching Everton since about 1980 and he gets a place in my best XI – that's how highly I rate him.

By the way – he needs a testimonial!

Mike Gaynes
11 Posted 03/08/2018 at 18:05:36
For me, it's just shaking his hand last year and telling him what a great role model he has been for this club.

Baines is proof that a fierce, competitive warrior can come wrapped in a low-key, classy package.

Gentleman, sportsman and all-time Everton great in my book.

Brent Stephens
12 Posted 03/08/2018 at 18:19:42
James, my favourite Baines moment was off the pitch when about two seasons ago he wasn't playing in a pre-season game but drove himself there (Blackburn?) and on the way picked up a couple of blue fans hitching a lift. I think they recorded it on their phones and arsed about in his car in a way that didn't particularly ooze with "thanks, Bainesey, lid".

Top geezer, Leighton. And what Amit says above.

Dave Abrahams
13 Posted 03/08/2018 at 19:26:21
Leighton Baines, no fuss, no ego, tons and tons of class, on and off the pitch besides being a brilliant full back.
Tony Abrahams
14 Posted 03/08/2018 at 20:00:53
That goal he scored at Newcastle, softened the blow, of my engine blowing out on the way home near Leeds.

It was the 2nd of Jan, the subby for the AA, would only take us to Hertshead Moor, so we had to stay in a hotel till the next morning, and wait for someone to tow us home.

It wasn’t the only thing to blow out though, because that was David Moyes last away victory whilst in charge of Everton.

What a goal though, it’s not often I’ve been at a game of football, and been amazed by something so brilliant. Dead centre, dead far out, and the way he cut across the ball to leave their keeper dead on his heels was absolutely brilliant. My greatest memory of Baines.

John McFarlane Snr
15 Posted 03/08/2018 at 20:07:09
Hi James, in retrospect, my favourite memory of Leighton Baines will have to be the fact that he signed for us, I consider him comparable to any left back I have seen in Everton colours, and that includes Ray Wilson.

Hi Dave [13] I know that you will be otherwise engaged tomorrow, but I hope we can share a 'cuppa' at the next home game, Josh should be landing in Gran Canaria any time now, my 'Young Lady' is trusting me to go the game unaccompanied.

Paul Tran
17 Posted 03/08/2018 at 20:18:06
I loved the fact that he told Keane that if we came for him, he'd sign for us. Plus the fact that he could have gone to Utd, but stayed.

If I'm honest, I hope Digne goes straight into the team, but I'm sure Leighton will give us a few moments this season

Jamie Crowley
18 Posted 03/08/2018 at 20:20:02
The gigantic amalgam known as Bainaar.

That left side clicked. It was wonderful to watch.

Joe McMahon
19 Posted 03/08/2018 at 20:38:27
With SP (first time round) the understanding between them was brilliant to watch.

However I can still remember the 2 - 2 at Anfield in 2011, I think it was "King Kennys" first home match a manager (again) and unfortunately Leighton did was he has often done and turned his back completely on Raul Meireles goal bound shot. And to think also Tim Howard tumbled into one of thiers for a penalty aswell.

Charles McCann
20 Posted 03/08/2018 at 22:33:25
Love Baines! Still one of my favourites sweet left foot and all round class act : ) wouldn’t say he is finished yet either. Seems like a such a sound fella too. Good competition for left back now.
Charles McCann
21 Posted 03/08/2018 at 22:38:42
Anyone else remember the photo of Baines at the ice cream van getting a 99 cone with sprinkles after a match? Too cool! Google it! From the site balls.ie
Paul Birmingham
22 Posted 05/08/2018 at 14:19:33
Top player, person and professional, who's been key to the best sides we've had the last 11 years.

Many great goals and crosses, I recall a very fine volley away at Man City, during the period we used to dominate and beat them home and away.

Bainaar was perfect and if we'd had a couple more top players, that could have changed destiny for EFC.

Alex Fox
23 Posted 05/08/2018 at 14:57:02
The Baines-Pienaar combo was a thing of absolute beauty. With Coleman on the other flank, we had comfortably the best full back options in the league.

I think we’ve only really had 2 truly world class players in the last 30 years: Rooney in 2004, and Baines between 2012-2014. Only Lahm was better in that position. Cole was on the slide and Marcelo and Alba hadn’t reached their peak. It’s no surprise he was linked with Bayern - he would have improved any team in the world at that stage. A wonderful Evertonian.

Fran Mitchell
24 Posted 05/08/2018 at 15:02:09
Baines and Pienaar was a wonderful combination that deserved more. That was top 4 quality while the rest of the team, especially up front, was mid-table level.

They made a rather boring team, with a conservative manager, actually enjoyable to watch.

And Baines mod-style hair just highlighted how he was not a normal modern footballer, and all the better for it.

Peter Gorman
25 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:06:04
Baines and Pienaar were indeed a wonderful combination but think you are throwing the baby out my calling the rest of the players 'mid-table' level. Over the course of the Moyes years those teams included a successful partnership between Jagielka and Lescott (the latter initially keeping Baines out of the side if you recall) together with Cahill, Arteta and a goal-scoring Fellaini.

By all means wax lyrical about Baines but claiming he was levels above his teammates is somewhat inaccurate.

Capello taking one-cap Warnock to South Africa in 2010 instead of Baines is easily my least favorite memory. Complete travesty, not that he'd have got a game ahead of the, by then, inferior Ashley Cole.

Tommy Carter
26 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:42:56
To think Moyes didn't really rate him after signing him. Moyes preferred Lescott at left back in 2007-08. He was on the verge of leaving us for Middlesbrough that summer.

Much like how he played Arteta as a right winger for 3 years and spent 2007-08 putting Jagielka mainly at defensive midfield.

Peter Gorman
27 Posted 05/08/2018 at 16:56:24
Well Tommy, I wouldn't criticise Moyes overly for any of that. Arteta was fantastic on the wing, Lescott had a superb run as a goal-scoring fullback and Jagielka was a utility man that Moyes himself converted into an international centre-half. It isn't even true that he spent 2007/8 mainly in midfield; he was Joey Yobo's partner in defense, hence Lescott playing left-back.
Barry Connor
28 Posted 05/08/2018 at 17:04:35
I could never work out why, as Baines was by far the most successful penalty taker and free-kick-near-the-box specialist in the last 50 year (showing my age there !) he or the club allowed Mirallas and then Lukaku to take over those duties and why Baines didn't make more of a fuss.
Similarly, when he played for England I don't recall him ever being called upon to take a free kick or penalty directly at goal.
Does anyone have an answer other than conspiracy theories ?
Peter Gorman
30 Posted 05/08/2018 at 20:29:09
Barry, his one and only England goal was a freekick. He took a few when on the pitch but there were undoubtedly a host of egos to accommodate.

As for the taking of corners and free-kicks, I think the likes of Mirallas, Lukaku and Deulofeu took over some duties because they thought too highly of themselves and Baines is fairly easy-going. That and the fact his ability to take them took a massive downward spiral a few years ago, he went from being a ludicrously great provider of crosses to someone who could barely beat the first man (can't exactly remember when but under Martinez at some point).

Peter Roberts
31 Posted 06/08/2018 at 11:20:05
Best left back we've had at the club in my lifetime and will be very difficult to surpass.

Top professional who is humble and deserves all the credit for a great 10+ years in a blue shirt.

When Evertonians question the likes of myself as to why there was so much dislike for Lukaku – just look at the fella at left back. Worked for the team, respected the shirt, kept his "ambitions" to himself, and never let his standards drop. Oh, he could trap a ball too.

It will be a sad day when he packs it in as a blue and deserves a great send off. Up there with the likes of Reidy, Big Nev, Sharpie, Ratcliffe and Watson as proper Everton players.

Best memory? The free kick against Newcastle – probably had more important goals like last minute pens etc but what a strike that was.

Tommy Carter
32 Posted 06/08/2018 at 13:43:44
@27 Peter

Peter, thanks for disagreeing with me simply for the sake of it.

Jags did not play more than a handful of games that season as a starting centre back. He played the majority of his games as a right back or a defensive midfielder (he was bought as a replacement for Carsley). That’s a fact, and simply a matter of what happened.

It took until 2008/2009 for Motes to pair Lescott and Jags together. The result was possibly the strongest centre back partnership we’ve ever had. Certainly the best we have had in the premier league era.

Arteta was fantastic on the wing, indeed. However when he was moved into the centre in around 2008 he started to dictate the play much more for us and become a greater influence on the game.

My point being, Moyes often took time to stumble upon fitting players into their correct positions. He played Coleman as a right winger for far too long.

2007/2008 was our strongest ever premier league era squad with a pre-injury and firing yak. We should’ve done much better. And playing Baines at left bag, jags and lescott in the centre and Arteta in the middle, we would’ve done

Joe McMahon
33 Posted 07/08/2018 at 18:31:46
Tommy, bang on, so correct! People forget Moyes was here 11 years to get things right.