Everton – Looking Forward

by   |   28/07/2018  28 Comments  [Jump to last]

I just received a glossy brochure from Everton in the mail today. I expect all season ticket holders did.

Page 1. Message to Evertonians from the new CEO - I take her message to be summed up as “good, open and regular communication is fundamental to success” with a promise to “keep [us] informed of the latest developments at [our] club”.

Page 3. A write-up on Brands and Silva which carries a commitment to youth development: “They are both determined to bring us the success we all crave. They have also placed emphasis on development of young talent. We are renowned for our world class academy and Marcel and Marco have a shared vision to utilise our productive and respected youth system as a key part of their strategy”.

Page 5. Stadium update. It doesn’t say anything more than what John Blaine has said recently. It gives a bit of spiel about work being done behind the scenes on design and funding.

Page 7. Everton leadership team. A profile of the Board members and Directors. It gives brief profiles on some of them. There’s also a hierarchy in the style of a family tree with Moshiri at the top as “major shareholder” and Bill Kenwright shown directly under him as Chairman. However, there’s no other mention of Uncle Bill.

Page 9. Other developments. This is a brief bit on The School, the Blue Base, update on Finch Farm which has had some work done to install a family lounge, and confirmation of relocation of club operations to the Liver Building.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (28)

Jim Bennings
1 Posted 28/07/2018 at 22:14:21
In other words just the usual gobbledygook that nobody spouts better than EFC.

The best one was last summer blazoned on the season ticket/card the words “Nothing Will Be The Same”.

Who the hell are they trying to kid?

Do they think Evertonians are not intelligent match paying football fans and cannot see when they are being taken for a ride and being taken for fools?

Nothing has changed at Everton since the arrival of Moshiri who is now well into his second year soon to be third and the club is floundering grossly on and off the pitch.

You get the feeling Moshiri just had to strike when the iron was hot with the appointment of Ronald Koeman in his first summer, that was the statement of intent we all thought would see this club break from the shackles and start being bold but the fact that fell so spectacularly apart in 16 months must have been a chastening experience for the Iranian in particular.

It wouldn’t surprise if Moshiri decided to walk away before this pipe dream of a stadium even got the first brick laid.

Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 29/07/2018 at 16:34:12
There's a spread on this in The Echo, with some brochure shots and lots of quotes from our new leader:

Denise Barrett-Baxendale gives Bramley-Moore Stadium update to 50,000 fans

Michael Kenrick
3 Posted 29/07/2018 at 16:44:40
I appreciate she's trying to bring a new honesty and transparency to a seriously moribund organization that has always scurried to hide behind "commercial sensitivity" but does this say anything new at all?

• Engagement with local residents of L4 will start this summer on the Goodison Park legacy.
  • The club is close to confirming the appointment of a new Stadium Project Director.
  • No final decisions on capacity or final detailed designs have been made and fans will be further consulted before final commitments are made.
  • There has been progress in work to secure finance but while the club continues to work with Liverpool City Council, it is also continuing to explore other options.
  • More engagement and consultation with fans on both the Bramley-Moore and Goodison Park projects is planned.

Barrett-Baxendale added: "I fully appreciate that all our fans want more regular updates from us on the new stadium project, and I thank you all for your patience to date.

"Due to the complexity around the funding models, the planning process and some challenges relating to the unique nature of the site, we haven’t always been in a position to provide updates as regularly as we might like.

"It is a very dynamic project and I’m sure you understand that we only feel we can provide updates when there is certainty on the various stages of the project. You have my assurances that when there is information to share we will share it with you quickly and accurately.

"I would also like to thank the thousands of fans who took part in our surveys, helped us form our Key Principles and attended and provided feedback at our workshops over the stadium.

"This input is invaluable in shaping our new home. Prior to submitting a planning application, we will be undertaking more engagement and, in-turn, formal consultation with our fans, neighbours and wider stakeholders at both Bramley-Moore Dock and Goodison Park."

"... a very dynamic project... " Sorry, but no. It is anything but. If it progressed any slower, it would grind to a halt.

Nice try, Denise, but it's all talk. Why is it taking so incredibly long to get anywhere?

Dave Lynch
4 Posted 29/07/2018 at 18:18:06
Nail on head, Michael.

The really sad thing is... It's all very Everton, if you get my drift.

Jim Bennings
5 Posted 29/07/2018 at 18:20:31
Michael

It’s all talk as per usual, it’s what we as a club have done best for years (at least we are good at something) .

I’ve had the brochure too and it doesn’t do anything to fill me with optimism because frankly it’s news I heard two months ago just from a different source.

It’s all promises on a platform made of ice and nothing seems certain or set in stone does it?

As I say, gobbledygook, that Elstone and Wyness before Denise Barrett-Baxendale have been spouting for years.

Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 29/07/2018 at 18:38:08
I got my brochure yesterday, plus another for my grandson. I imagine every season ticket holder got one. How much did this all cost including postage? I ask because, after a quick read which told me nothing I wasn't already aware of, it went in the bin.

They promise they are going to do this and that, how truly grateful the club is for our continued support. On the other hand, they have got all my information on computer but can't turn the game from France on to my iPad. It took another Evertonian, Brent Stephens, to give me the details before I could get the game on.

Everton FC and Mrs Baxendale in particular: Actions speak louder than words.

Jim Bennings
7 Posted 29/07/2018 at 19:15:07
Also, they send brochures out like this with yesterday's news in late July yet still there's not a sign of the season ticket that they had us all pay for way back in January-March time.

Joke!

Brian Williams
8 Posted 29/07/2018 at 19:38:44
No sign of the season ticket that you can't actually use until the.... errr, season starts?

That's a lame complaint Jim.

Bill Griffiths
9 Posted 29/07/2018 at 19:46:25
Jim, I got mine last season a week before the first game, early days yet.
Jim Bennings
10 Posted 29/07/2018 at 19:47:25
Brian

Why is it a lame complaint?

We buy something in March yet it takes so long to arrive, why?

Brian Williams
11 Posted 29/07/2018 at 20:13:12
Because you can't use it til the season starts as I said.

The club has to be organised and get the sales sorted early.
If the tickets arrive the week before kick off surely that's good enough. Yer can't use em on the bus y'know.

Knock the club when it needs knocking but season ticket not yet delivered???? It's like booking a holiday, and having to pay six weeks or so before you go, amd then complaining that you can't go the day after you pay!!!

Derek Taylor
12 Posted 30/07/2018 at 17:48:35
I thought Keith Harris had been appointead as a full-time director to oversee the BM stadium project. Now we learn that such an appointment has still to be made.

Second thoughts ?

Brent Stephens
13 Posted 30/07/2018 at 18:10:47
Derek, I think it's the person that will report to KH who is yet to be appointed. Don't panic!
Derek Taylor
14 Posted 30/07/2018 at 18:16:18
Supervising just ONE person ? Harris lands on his feet again !
Brent Stephens
15 Posted 30/07/2018 at 18:37:23
Derek, that doesn't tell you the size of the project and overall responsibilities. You can look at it the other way i.e. just ONE person to support him?!

This is a massive project and presumably big project management responsibilities? We do want it to be successful, don't we?!

Gerry Morrison
16 Posted 30/07/2018 at 22:54:27
Keith Harris the ventriloquist?
Alan J Thompson
17 Posted 31/07/2018 at 05:36:26
It's not the Everton way to rush into things .

Sorry, just had to stop for a quick laugh

Dave Lynch
18 Posted 31/07/2018 at 05:57:27
We'd get more done with Orville the fucking duck in charge.
Mark Pringle
21 Posted 31/07/2018 at 13:02:35
Honestly, is this a real? The club sent out communications, obvious ones at that, but at least some form of update. We then get grown men, I'm assuming, whining about when their season tickets arrive in the post, that the club is taking too long re the stadium and that the plans are all talk etc.

Clearly, the evidence suggests it is far from all talk and funnily enough financing a half billion pound new stadium might just take a bit of time to sort and secure through due diligence and assessing options, instead of just jumping straight in with the council.

We moan that we need a new stadium to compete, then we moan it's taking too long to complete when we eventually agree to build a new one, then we moan athat ll we hear is talk.

Tell me, what are the intricacies of the funding model for Spurs new stadium?? Oh that's right, they didn't plaster it all over the social media, press etc, funny that. Or what about Chelsea's new stadium?? Mmmm, that's right, cancelled.

For all the things we could legitimately moan about, like how shite the team look pre-season and how we haven't signed a centre-half or decent midfielder yet, surely that puts receiving an update through the post from the new CEO into a bit of perspective?? Maybe it's just me...

David Ellis
23 Posted 31/07/2018 at 14:23:09
Yep, way too much moaning. Want more communication and when it comes it's just “talk”.

DBB does communication well but already I see her being called out for being all talk and no action. This is ludicrously unfair.

Dave Abrahams
24 Posted 01/08/2018 at 11:07:59
Mark (21), Mark it wasn't an update, it had nothing in it that was new,there was no point to the brochure.

David (23), maybe Mrs. Baxindale will turn out to be a good part of Everton's future but I've seen and heard her talk, she bored me to death at the last AGM, for minutes in end she talked about, mostly, what Goodison Park is going to be like after we have left it, it wasn't relevant on the night, she was brought to take fans minds off what was going on at the club, she can talk alright and absolutely loved being there in the spotlight, let's see how she performs in the future, I always wish my club well so I wish the same for her.

Dave Evans
26 Posted 01/08/2018 at 15:58:56
It wasn't the most informative brochure although I did find the structure of the hierarchy interesting. The CEO was at least trying to recognise the importance of club communication whilst also mentioning a couple of restrictions to it. Hopefully it's a start.

I would like to propose that the back page of next year's brochure is given over to an 'Incessant negative whinger of the year competition'
Entries could be to Barret-Baxendale via ToffeeWeb. Any takers?

Dave Evans
28 Posted 02/08/2018 at 15:06:37
Tom@27 I forgot being prone to incessant negativity and whinging makes you less likely to be gullible. I bow to your powers of reason.

Perhaps the page could be split? I bagsy the bottom to middle 'page half full' for the happy clappers.

Tom McEwan
29 Posted 02/08/2018 at 18:01:52
Dave @28 'negativity' and 'whinging' are your choice of words. Some may see it as 'realism' and 'reason'. If you don't like alternative points of view to your own, perhaps you should consider just reading and not writing.

Discussion makes the world go around fella but you have every right to hold the views you hold, as do I and the rest of the 'whingers'. Meanwhile, I wish you all the best with clapping middle to bottom mediocrity.

Dave Evans
30 Posted 02/08/2018 at 19:19:13
Oh dear. Not only is a 'happy clapping' positive outlook a sign of being gullible it is an acceptance of mediocrity. Apparently I also said all opinion is whinging.
If you critcise one thing one week - great- oplnion. If you say the opposite the next - odd - first opinion devalued. If you go on like this week after week criticising everything and also in a conflicting way, then some people will call you a whinger.
Tom I suspect it's you that needs to do more reading.
Nice touch with 'fella' sounds hard/streetwise.
Tom McEwan
31 Posted 03/08/2018 at 07:55:59
Dave you are now doing a pretty good impression of a whinger yerself ….fella
Tony Everan
32 Posted 03/08/2018 at 17:52:06
“ complexity around the funding models”

Read into that what you like, but it sounds a bit ominous.

Paul Birmingham
33 Posted 03/08/2018 at 18:48:07
Year on year, and ground hog day.

There’s nothing new and always the same sugar coated wrap of all things wonderful, at EFC.

It feels like BMD will be Greek house project...perhaps this one will finish, but no TCD, so interest going up and Brexit, looming, the era of chaos..

Is the club waiting for a certain Russian to join the board? I hope so.

Now for a boost tomorrow v Valencia.