Loan Watch — #1

by   |   20/08/2018  56 Comments  [Jump to last]

With so many Everton players now out on season-long loans, and more to follow no doubt before the end of the Transfer Window in Europe, we're starting a new periodic thread to keep tabs on their exploits at their various loan clubs.

The current count stands at nine players out on loan, with Besic and Bolasie set to follow:

Cuco Martina
Nikola Vlašiĉ
Kevin Mirallas
Callum Connolly
Antonee Robinson
Ashley Williams
Henry Onyekuru
Shani Tarashaj
Luke Garbutt

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (56)

Andy Williams
1 Posted 20/08/2018 at 10:42:53
I see Onyekuru is making the back pages in Turkey...
James Flynn
2 Posted 20/08/2018 at 17:24:06
Yes, our young talent, Henry scored the winner yesterday for Galatasaray. Cooly taken too:

Michael Kenrick
3 Posted 20/08/2018 at 17:31:28
That's an excellent goal, Jimmy. Perfect timing of his run and a brilliant finish!
Lyndon Lloyd
4 Posted 20/08/2018 at 18:49:23

James Flynn
5 Posted 20/08/2018 at 19:13:41
Yes Michael, pretty sweet. I think, "With aplomb" describes it fairly.

Can't wait to see him at Goodison.

Mind, he's no Lookman . . . . . .

Bill Watson
6 Posted 21/08/2018 at 01:53:52
I recall coming away from the Wolfsburg away game and thinking Garbutt was the real deal but how wrong can you be? Koeman, Allardyce and now Silva obviously don't rate him and his loans have been disastrous.

Never mind; on the back of such a career the lad's a millionaire!

Derek Knox
7 Posted 21/08/2018 at 07:44:34
Just been reading the report of Stoke under 23's against Southampton, in which Martina made his debut.

They were beaten 1-4, and he was substituted at half time, I think we have done well to offload him, oh wait a minute, it's only a loan, he will still come back.

Mark Boullé
8 Posted 21/08/2018 at 14:29:44
I live in Oxford and am going to the Kassam tonight for the glamour of Oxford United v Accrington Stanley (who are they etc etc!!).

Doesn't sound like he'll play but if Oxford do persist with Garbutt I will keep an eye on him and report back on here tomorrow...

Dermot Byrne
9 Posted 21/08/2018 at 14:40:13
Onyekuru has become like some kind of Holy Grail to me. I see clips like the one MK posted and have 5 mins watching him play for us in my imagination and then it fades away.

Could anyone tell me what he has to do to play for us? Lost track now.

Mike Allison
10 Posted 21/08/2018 at 15:34:34
Dermot, essentially he has to qualify for a UK Work Permit. In reality this means he has to play for Nigeria often enough either to qualify automatically (I don't know the rules but I believe this is unlikely) or for us to be able to argue the case on appeal that he is good enough and that he would have more caps if not for his injury.
Simon Smith
11 Posted 21/08/2018 at 15:35:08
I'd loan out Lookman, Dowell and Kenny, keep an eye on Connolly, Vlasic, Onyekuru and Robinson then forget the rest.

Next season we would have some really good players returning to the fold, all hopefully with a good season behind them and ready for the first team squad.

On return, I believe at least two out of the three wide men would be assets, Dowell would be there or thereabouts and we would have 3 ready-made full-backs in Kenny, Robinson and Connoly.

The young lads who don't come back good enough will have inflated their value whilst showing they weren't up to the level we need at the Blues.

Mike Allison
12 Posted 21/08/2018 at 15:37:57
I originally came here to say that of the nine players listed (even if it becomes eleven) I can only really see Robinson and Onyekuru becoming members of Everton's first team squad. I'd love to be wrong about Connolly and hope he makes it, and Vlasic is young enough to change Silva's mind, especially if we qualify for Europe next year and need a slightly bigger squad, but the others are all on their way out.

I may write a piece arguing that Martina should have been kept as the back-up and Kenny sent out to play 40+ games in the Championship...

Mike Gaynes
13 Posted 21/08/2018 at 16:09:08
Lyndon, thanks for capturing that, it gave me a big laugh. Of course, that's been my view of Garbutt from the first time I saw him.

James, cheers for posting the video of Henry's goal. His pace is just plain scary, and coming off the knee injury that's great to see.

Mike A., Silva apparently thinks he's ready for Everton right now. Kenny looks like he spent the whole summer in the weight room – the skinny kid we saw last year is gone. And I think he'll get plenty of playing time, because if Silva is wise he'll give Seamus regular rest.

Kevin Prytherch
14 Posted 21/08/2018 at 16:26:12
Last season we had about 9 on loan who were full of promise and trying to further their careers.

Browning, Galloway and Pennington have effectively proved they’re not good enough.

The jury is out on Williams (turned down a £1m bid, but no where near the first team)

Robinson, Henri and Connelly have gone back for a second time

Dowell has effectively forced himself into first team reckoning.

This year it’s far less exciting as, apart from the 3 back out on loan, they’re all there to save on the wage bill.

Bill Gienapp
15 Posted 21/08/2018 at 18:33:56
Man, Garbutt must be genuinely awful. This is a team that's currently dead last in league one and their fans are making a special point of going onto Twitter and demanding he not play? Ouch.
Steavey Buckley
16 Posted 21/08/2018 at 18:42:42
With Bolasie going, Vlasic gone and Lookman's situation in the balance, there is no extra width if Richarlison and Walcott need replacing, because of injury. In footballing terms, the next transfer window is half a season away.
Tony Abrahams
17 Posted 21/08/2018 at 19:20:00
Good point Steavey, and one that makes me think that Silva, really does want Lookman to stay?

The alternative could be Bernard, or maybe three centre backs? But I’m glad Bolasie, is going because he’s never looked like a team player to me.

I never thought Garbutt, was good enough either, but the fact that he’s already made for life, will be doing nothing for his hunger, which was always my biggest concern whenever I watched him play.

Steve Ferns
18 Posted 21/08/2018 at 20:08:13
Tony, that Silva brought Calvert-Lewin on ahead of Lookman on Saturday speaks volumes for me.

As for not having enough width, well Silva plays wide forwards not touchline huggers, so we have enough wide forwards:
- Richarlison
- Walcott
- Calvert-Lewin
- Lookman
- Bolasie
- Sandro
- Bernard
- Antony Evans

I've included Evans as he should really be 5th choice and we should get rid of as many as we can to get him up that list.

Get rid of Bolasie and Sandro we all say. Sandro is on too much money, he's going nowhere. As a wide forward, rather than a winger, Sandro can do a job. I hope Bernard will challenge at no10, but he can be an option off the bench, or Gylfi can come on at 10 and we can shift Bernard wide (when he's playing as the 10).

One of our players is missing from that list and it's an interesting one. What if we flog Lookman now, for £30m. We offload Bolasie on loan, we make do with Sandro and Calvert-Lewin as backups for Walcott, Richarlison and Bernard, and we wait to try and get a work permit next summer for Onyekuru.

Sandro only has 3 more years on his contract, at a reported £120,000 per week! With any luck we can shift him at some point, but that probably requires playing.

I don't want to sell Lookman, but he's not going about things the right way. Clearly Silva is not happy with him either, or he'd have brought him on instead of Calvert-Lewin. I would insist Lookman puts in a transfer request if he wants to leave though, and make RB Leipzigpay every penny of £30m and pay it upfront.

Jamie Crowley
19 Posted 21/08/2018 at 21:44:05
Any updates on Robinson would be greatly appreciated by this Yank.

Regarding Garbutt, I always thought he was excellent. Clearly something went amuck with the kid. Or my valuation of players is complete shite. Probably the latter.

This update on loans is absolutely fantastic. I'm very glad we will get some intermittent news on our loaned players – especially the young ones – to see how they are doing.

I don't have the time, or frankly the desire, to troll the internet for news on our loaned players. But I'll absolutely read about it on TW and be more informed.

Great addition / idea.

Mike Allison
20 Posted 21/08/2018 at 22:01:11
Mike Gaynes, if Kenny stays he gets 5-10 games this season. If he gets loaned out he gets 35-45. However, he doesn’t get coached by Marco Silva. That’s the kind of trade off the young back up players need to have considered. Which scenario develops him best as a player?
John Raftery
21 Posted 21/08/2018 at 22:28:12
Garbutt was an unused substitute for Oxford United this evening. They were beaten 3-2 by Accrington Stanley.
Bill Gienapp
22 Posted 21/08/2018 at 22:54:52
Mike (19) - I kind of feel the same way about Dowell. I think he's at that "sink or swim" point where he either starts to develop that consistency his game has been lacking, and does it by training under Silva with the first team, or he likely never makes it at the Premier League level. I'm not sure another year on loan with the likes of Nottingham Forest will do much for him, one way or another.
Mark McParlan
23 Posted 22/08/2018 at 00:24:30
I can't understand the calls to loan out Jonjoe Kenny. He is the 2nd choice right back at Everton – if we let him go, then there is precisely no-one to back up Coleman. Kenny stays.
Mike Gaynes
24 Posted 22/08/2018 at 01:47:16
Mike #19,

I'll bet a paycheck Kenny gets 18-20 games this season. Seamus won't be 100% until next year – a leg break requires at least two full years for a complete recovery – and I predict that even if he has no injury issues he'll sit out 1/4 of our league matches and all our Cup ties.

There's no way Silva keeps Kenny around to let him rot on the bench. He's ready.

Ed Prytherch
25 Posted 22/08/2018 at 02:12:50
Garbutt played well when Baines was injured a few seasons ago. His contract was about to end and there were stories about the shite and other teams wanting him, so we gave him a nice contract to keep him and he has been on holiday ever since. Maybe we were still fretting about losing Gosling in similar circumstances. Garbutt's agent certainly did a good job for him.
Simon Smith
26 Posted 22/08/2018 at 04:44:17
Mark @22;

Holgate and Zouma can both play right back, both can cover the few games Coleman won't play. Imo, Kenny could and should play 35+ Championship games instead of sitting on our bench all season.

Victor Yu
27 Posted 22/08/2018 at 06:47:20
As soon as Garbutt signed the $30k a week contract he has gone downhill ever since.

Maybe he feels like he will have enough money to retire so he is no longer motivated?

Geoffrey Williams
28 Posted 22/08/2018 at 20:47:53
Goodness... Ashley Williams looks a liability even against opposition like Wigan.
Geoffrey Williams
29 Posted 22/08/2018 at 21:38:39
And now Williams has been sent off.
Steve Ferns
30 Posted 22/08/2018 at 21:41:36
Denise BB, call the lawyers in the morning. Make sure that Williams contract is water tight. Don't let Stoke send him back.
Ray Robinson
31 Posted 22/08/2018 at 22:13:16
Ashley Williams sent off as Stoke crash 3-0 at home!
Steve Ferns
32 Posted 22/08/2018 at 22:17:54
It was the Everton derby. Stoke had Cuco and Coco, Wigan had Robinson and Connolly. The latter was an unused sub. I'd love to know how Robinson got on.
Peter Gorman
33 Posted 22/08/2018 at 23:18:12
Steve - Connolly came on at 65 minutes for their goalscorer Grigg. Robinson played the whole match without a booking but since Stoke failed to register a shot on goal I'd have to watch it to tell you how he got on.

Highlights on the beeb live feed include;

87' - Attempt blocked. Josh Windass (Wigan Athletic) right footed shot from the right side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Callum Connolly with a through ball.

78' - Second yellow card to Ashley Williams (Stoke City) for a bad foul.

69' - Foul by Ashley Williams (Stoke City).

66' - Ashley Williams (Stoke City) is shown the yellow card.

34' - Foul by Ashley Williams (Stoke City).

23' - Foul by Ashley Williams (Stoke City).

17' - Foul by Ashley Williams (Stoke City).

9' - Foul by Ashley Williams (Stoke City).

etc.

Bill Gienapp
34 Posted 22/08/2018 at 23:22:20
Didn't take Williams long to alienate the entire Stoke fanbase, LOL. So glad we're rid of him.
Mike Gaynes
35 Posted 22/08/2018 at 23:53:44
Peter #30, that is just freakin' hilarious.
Gary Russell
36 Posted 23/08/2018 at 02:48:38
I guess there are so many variations on agreements and rules with loans. Let's hope Stoke are stuck with him for the full season. Williams, has been sent off in two of his past three league starts, with his previous red card coming for Everton against Burnley in March.
James Flynn
37 Posted 23/08/2018 at 13:29:02
Jamie (19) - Here's a blurb on our boy:

"Robinson completed the full 90 minutes in both games, as Wigan were twice pinned back in a 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest, before causing an almighty shock by beating Stoke 3-0 at the bet365 Stadium.

On Saturday, Robinson was one of Wigan's better performers and had the most touches of any player on the pitch - but with a passing accuracy of just 50%.

He fared a little better at Stoke, completing 65% of his passes, but its clear that he needs to be more consistent on the ball.

He played a key part in Wigan's third goal at Stoke, fizzing a dangerous ball across goal before Nick Powell was pulled down and awarded a penalty – which Will Grigg duly dispatched to put the Latics 3-0 up."

If you watch to the end of these YouTube highlights, you see Williams getting tossed: Link

Frank Wade
38 Posted 23/08/2018 at 17:13:29
Thanks for the link James.

Nothing dubious about either of those yellows, if anything, the first could have been red. The 2nd Wigan goal showed exactly what is missing with Williams. A straightforward tackle is missed 25 yards out to gift the Wigan player a run on goal.

He has dropped a long long way from the player we saw at Swansea and for Wales in the Euros.

Roger Sunde
39 Posted 23/08/2018 at 17:33:44
Does Henry Onyekuru need a work permit next season when Brexit kicks in?

At least in Football Manager, work permits are not a problem anymore when England leaves EU rules.

Simon Smith
40 Posted 24/08/2018 at 07:45:53
Roger, I believe the loan deal will enable him to get a visa, two years playing in Europe will tick all the boxes.
Tom Bowers
41 Posted 24/08/2018 at 22:46:27
Hardly surprising Stoke are struggling with pensioners like Williams and Crouch on the books.

Now they have Martina. Watch them surge up the table. LOL.

Lee Jamieson
42 Posted 31/08/2018 at 10:31:16
I think Ashley Williams has some real problems. He has completely lost his way. He has no pace, his concentration is poor, his tackling appears to have gone and he now seems prone to aggressive outbursts which either get him sent off or he picks up bookings.

He doesn't look arsed either when he gets sent off. Never want to see him anywhere near our side ever again. A truly awful signing. Should have been the new Distin but played more like a dustbin!!

Dave Abrahams
43 Posted 03/09/2018 at 17:02:03
Connolly and Robinson did well for Wigan in their victory on Saturday and Joe Williams received lots of praise from his manager after Bolton's draw at Preston.

I don't know if Martina played in Stoke's defeat at West Brom.

Lev Vellene
44 Posted 03/09/2018 at 18:50:40
How periodic? Asked 14 days after the article was published...

Williams got rave reviews for Bolton. As Dave #43 says, Connolly and Robinson did well for Wigan. How about the rest? Don't we have almost a full team out on loan? Of course, some of those we don't want to see back, but please give some updates on the promising youngsters!

Dave Abrahams
45 Posted 05/09/2018 at 13:59:41
Lev (#44), Martina played right back for Stoke in their 2-1 defeat at West Brom; Ashley Williams still suspended; Mirallis was an unused sub in Italy; our Nigerian centre-forward was disappointing in a 4-0 loss in Greece; Pennington got loads of praise making his debut for Ipswich in their 1-1 draw with neighbours Norwich. I haven't heard anything about Davie Klaassen since he went to Germany and I don't think Sandro played at the weekend.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

46 Posted 05/09/2018 at 15:08:21
Dave @ 45.

Did you see the Echo story, listing how the 24 - TWENTY-FRIGGING-FOUR!!! - players were sold or loaned out in the summer were doing?

It's a good read. Link

If anything, with the exception of Rooney in Washington, Martina is possibly the one impressing the most.

Michael Kenrick
47 Posted 05/09/2018 at 16:01:51
Lee (#42), re Ashley Williams, seems his collapsed lung injury was more serious than at least I thought, based on this story at Wales Online:

Ashley Williams reveals the full story behind the picture that shocked football

Dave Abrahams
48 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:13:30
Jay (#46), thanks for the link, very interesting and up to date.

It's strange now in Liverpool concerning the Echo, I was a life-long reader of the Echo until about the last 18 months. I think the number of readers has decreased dramatically in the last few years and it is now printed in Oldham (I think) and links up with The Daily Mirror.

My wife brings it in occasionally but it is really only useful for the death notices (not being funny there) and that only brings you bad news. Thanks again, Jay.

Gary Russell
49 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:17:30
Jay, it's not the first time you have posted a link after I already did so. For someone who is such a rapacious reader and debater on here, do please frigging Keep Up!
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

50 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:27:10
Gary @ 49.

Jay Rolls eyes... Shakes head... Sighs...

Get's on with life.

Gary Russell
51 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:29:14
You are consistent lad.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

52 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:43:07
Serious question Gary: just what is your problem?

Very strange.

Peter Gorman
53 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:50:16
Not seeing your link, Gary, perhaps you dreamt it.
Gary Russell
54 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:52:40
Jay, I can't help thinking about you 'getting on with life' with your many posts dissecting, arguing and at times, condescending attitude of one upmanship, as you, errm, cough, get on with life .

I actually enjoy some of your posts. Just your manner needs a bit of work. Problem? Yes, you need more humility squire

Gary Russell
55 Posted 05/09/2018 at 17:53:58
T'was a different thread, Peter.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

56 Posted 05/09/2018 at 19:03:16
So Gary... let me get this right.

My COMPLETELY harmless post @ 46, intended to help simply inform a fellow TWer on the thread's subject that he expressed interest in, causes you... what, exactly?

Your response @ 49 implies you are indignant - incensed, even - that I had the temerity to (innocently) post a link you have already made (not, as you now admit, even within this thread).

Seriously, what is your beef about that 'infringement'? Do you want acclaim and acknowledgement for the link you posted in another thread, I don't know when, because (drum roll...):

I have never seen that post.

Do you believe I am belittling you, undermining you, being condescending to you, for innocently posting the link I did @ 46, addressing a named single TW poster...?

Your post to me @ 54 suggests you have some issues you need resolving.

What and why, exactly?

Because you actually contribute little or nothing to topics of the day, or football discussions, other - as you do here with me - berating fellow posters on their posting style and opinion, as you perceive it.

You accuse me of being condescending and lacking in humility... when you own default posting style almost exclusively attacks the poster, rather than engage in debate with them.

Victor Yu seems to be a poster who causes you particular duress, given your serial attacks on him, going so far as giving him the moniker 'Victor MeldYu'.

I humbly suggest, before you start hurling stones and casting haughty judgement about other TWers, you take a good look at yourself within the glass house you hypocritically inhabit.