Adding A Lookman

by   |   13/11/2018  13 Comments  [Jump to last]

Okay, so we’ve been hearing calls for Lookman to get a run in the starting line-up since... well, since the first game of the season really. Finally, I am in agreement. Sometimes he comes on for his 10 or 20 minutes and looks good and other times you can’t tell he’s actually come on. The only way, I conclude, that he can make his mark is to make a start. The game against Cardiff does look like the ideal opportunity. If Richarlison, Gomes and Sigurdsson do recover from knocks, I’m not so sure Silva will change anything but, if he does... then whose position should he take?

Most shouts are saying he should take the place of Walcott who does drift in and out of games. However, l think, if he does come in, it should be at the expense of Bernard. The reason for this is the full-back playing behind him. If he plays on the right, then I feel it would hinder Coleman getting forward and doing what he does best. We all love to see Seamus marauding down that right-hand side as opposed to his defensive duties. I feel it would then leave us very exposed having Lookman on that side. Therefore this ToffeeWeb expert would like him to come into Bernard’s place on the left, where he can benefit from a closer working relationship with Digne. I think the left-hand side as is has potential but hasn’t caught fire just yet. Digne is also more aware and capable of fulfilling his defensive duties. So there you go... if Lookman starts, I think it should be on the left.

Silva has made some great strides this season so far with the help of course from some astute Brands signings. So, as the season progresses, I'm sure certain players, young as they are, will hit form at different times. At the moment, we seem to have a settled line-up with a few players chomping at the bit for a chance. This is exactly what we should have if we want to both bed in new players and still keep room for a few players to develop during the season. That’s not saying I’d turn my nose up at a new striker... but what team wouldn’t?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (13)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 14/11/2018 at 23:05:18
I agree with much of what you say, David. Against Cardiff, assuming Sigurdsson is out, I would start both Lookman and Bernard.
Gerard McKean
2 Posted 15/11/2018 at 15:42:10
I'd also agree with the gist of David's talking point and Lookman has definitely earned the chance to start a run of games. You are right too in suggesting he would be better on the left, both because of his own preference to cut inside from that flank, and to allow Seamus the space he likes on the right.

However, where I would differ is that for me it is Walcott who should make way. Theo, as he has done for ever, flatters to deceive and too often too much of a game passes him by. By giving Bernard a "free" role, akin to David Silva, I believe the set up then puts him, Ademola and Seamus in the right positions to cause damage to any opposition.

James Flynn
3 Posted 15/11/2018 at 20:27:52
I say that Lookman tried so hard to leave, even he acknowledged that he was living "in a bubble" regarding life in the Pro game.

For me, it's right and proper that Silva is making him earn his way into a starting spot.

We'll see.

David Pearl
4 Posted 15/11/2018 at 23:09:27
I've actually been a bit disappointed in Bernard the last few games and expected more from him. If Walcott tripped over his own feet twice when through on goal... well I can imagine.

Digne is defending much better the last couple games but going forward he’s got a lot to learn from Baines, too slow to cross and when he does... it’s not that great. Baines is fit now I’m surprised now soon he was dropped.

Both our flanks are struggling to gel as they should. I'm not sure Walcott and Coleman feed off each other as well as they could and the same on our left. I'm hoping Silva will start to use his squad a bit better. I'm still predicting 3 at the back sooner rather than later.

Terence Leong
5 Posted 18/11/2018 at 14:11:43
I think between Bernard and Walcott, Walcott has been a lot inconsistent. Bernard looks to be growing into the game.

If Sigurdsson is fit, Bernard and Lookman can take the flanks and they can actually switch around.

When Cardiff come to Goodison Park, we can expect them to park the bus. That means that we'll need as much trickery as we can; that's where both Lookman and Bernard can do, that Walcott can't.

When teams park the bus, it's unlikely that we have a lot of space for our speed merchants to run into. And that means that Walcott is likely to be less impactful as those who can dribble with the ball close to their feet.

If Sigurdsson is out, then we can fit all three players. Lookman and Walcott on the flanks and Bernard through the middle.

Steve Carse
6 Posted 18/11/2018 at 18:09:46
Sigurdsson would be a big miss against Cardiff or any other side who crowd the midfield and back line. Not just because he can pick and weight a pass but also because of his shooting ability from distance. When it's tough to find a way through with a pass, it's always useful to have someone who fancies his chances from distance.

Sigurdsson's reputation for being a good striker of a ball also means the opposition are more inclined to rush to limit the space in front of him and to block him, so leaving free space for others in the side to take advantage of.

Stephen Bird
7 Posted 19/11/2018 at 15:07:42
David,

Good article, I see you reminisce about Baines... don't look back. Baines is just squad support; we move on with new impetus and new personnel – irrespective of Leighton's standing as a blue

David Ellis
8 Posted 19/11/2018 at 15:37:15
Terence Leong – yeah, agree with your points. But, if Sigurdsson is fit, I'd move Bernard to the right and try Lookman on the left.
Drew O'Neall
9 Posted 20/11/2018 at 07:21:11
Walcott is frustrating but Lookman should replace Bernard (or Sigurdsson if he is unfit) on the left.

Walcott's pace, regardless of his performance, dictates the way the opposition sets up and ergo how we play. We should find a way to play without him because his performances can and have dipped but dropping him for the inclusion of Lookman asks more of Lookman than it does bringing Lookman into a side where Walcott is making the space and I think that's too big of a risk when we are still building our pattern, partnerships and systems.

Bernard's performances have been comparable with Walcott's anyway recently. Both players have fluffed their lines when in position to win us games but the difference in fans' viewpoint seems to be a willingness to let Bernard make mistakes, as he learns the English game, in the hope he will improve.

Here and now, for the purpose of blooding Lookman in a game against one of the Premier League's lesser lights, playing him on the left with Walcott in the team is the selection which provides his best chance of success.

David Pearl
10 Posted 21/11/2018 at 15:33:00
Stephen, it's hard not to reminisce about Baines and Pienaar. I still think Baines can offer a lot if he's fit and fresh.

I'm pleased with the progress of Digne, especially his defensive work which has really improved. I've just been annoyed at his crossing on occasions when we needed better. It wouldn't do Bernard any harm to sit out a game and access a few things.

Walcott? He works hard for the most part. That little bit of class and swagger has been missing though.

Sam Bull
11 Posted 22/11/2018 at 12:54:24
Walcott working hard? I don't know what matches you have been watching, but when Man Utd tore us a new one down our right-hand side, he was nowhere to be seen...

He has always been a headless chicken, rarely an end-product from him, although he has on occasion created something out of nothing for us.

To be fair, to him, we do not play to his strengths, he requires the ball between him and goal, to use his pace. He gets pretty cramped on the right wing with him and Seamus. They have been working well together, but I'd prefer to see him get a ball over the top to run onto rather than played into his feet with his back to goal.

Tony J Williams
12 Posted 22/11/2018 at 13:07:41
The latest "in the know" rumour doing the tour in my office is that someone's mate saw Sigurdsson on a plane and he asked him how the injury was going?

He stated he wasn't injured and Everton just said that to allow him to have a rest.

Hopefully, if that has any semblance of truth, it means he will be fit and raring to go against Cardiff.

Fran Mitchell
13 Posted 22/11/2018 at 13:14:33
Walcott's movement is very intelligent, he gets in great positions, he gets in behind the defenders, his pace, and principally his acceleration, is electric.

But jeez how he is frustrating. Misses when he should score, but occasionally scores a blinder. Makes a great run, but controls with his shin.

He's the eternal 'nearly' player. If he could just play consistently, he'd possibly be the best striker in the league, but he came to Everton for a reason.

Despite his flaws, I feel him and Lookman on the left will create better balance. Bernard will grow, will improve, but for now I think is better suited to the bench.