Transition

by   |   29/12/2018  25 Comments  [Jump to last]

I swear to God if I ever hear the word 'transition' as a reason or excuse for Everton's performances this season, or the last two or three seasons... or however many you like, I will fucking scream!!!

Please, people — look up the word and then decide if it is the correct descriptive word for this club's failings.

Any football team, or any sports-playing team for that matter, goes through various "transitions" during a game, never mind a season or part thereof.

We are patently not good enough. I remember when Liverpool supporters were in the process of trying, successfully in the end, to get rid of Brenda, the same guy who took that lot to within a slip of winning the league. What do we do as a fan base?
We label failure or disappointment as bloody transition.

As I put forward on a previous comment, the fans of this great club will get what they deserve, unless there is a serious groundswell of opinion to cut loose from the "It's okay, not bad — we're in transition" mentality.

I don't know how as a fan base we go about this; I'm certain ToffeeWebbers more knowledgeable and in the know than me could point us in the right direction. We need to make our voice heard – sooner rather than later.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (25)

Lyndon Lloyd
1 Posted 29/12/2018 at 18:43:29
We patently are not good enough, Jim... yet. Hence the notion of transition. There clearly was not enough time or money for Brands and Silva to ship out the crap and the dead wood last summer and bring in the quality we require across the board to compete with the top six.

I think they did pretty well in the three months they had but both needed this season to fully assess the entire squad so that they can see where we still need to dramatically improve.

We desperately need a reliable goalscorer whose name isn't Richarlison because if he's not scoring or Sigurdsson isn't producing magic from midfield, we have no goals in the side. I'm surprised Brands came out as definitively as he did in saying he doesn't see us shopping next month but it would also be very difficult to sign the one player most teams are after – a 20-goals-a-season striker.

You could argue that right-back, right-wing and central midfield also need to be significantly strengthened before we're capable of winning consistently. That takes time and money.

Anthony A Hughes
2 Posted 29/12/2018 at 19:52:12
I'm with you on the "transition" Jim. It seems to be the new buzzword to excuse piss poor performance and results.

I think it was Steve Ferns who lauded Silva would come in and improve results and performance with this squad. Koeman and Allardyce were slaughtered for not getting the best out of what a lot of people said was a talented group of players.

Here we are at Christmas with the same squad plus 5 of Silva's signings and we languishing down in mid-table obscurity. Not good enough.

Dave Ganley
3 Posted 30/12/2018 at 09:40:27
To be fair, the football has, regardless of results, been infinitely better than last season. Now that's not to say that it's great because obviously it's not... but, if you want to talk about progressand the fact that people going to the game are seeing something much more pleasing on the eye, then yes – it's progress.

Lyndon is correct in that Brands and Silva couldn't fix everything in one transfer window. Yes, we are mid-table with erratic results and we peak and trough from game to game... but, when you are dealing with an average squad with half a new team, then I guess we all knew that we would yo-yo.

I think its pretty ridiculous to be calling for Silva's head. He's been here for 6 months. He may well not be the manager we have been looking for but we are never going to know after 6 months. He has made mistakes – as do all managers – some very hard to defend, but I feel a lot more comfortable with Brands and Silva at the helm than I ever did with Koeman, Allardyce or Martinez.

I get everybody's frustration I'm as frustrated too but we have had 3 dud managers in a row and that is impacting on everybody's judgement that are calling for his head. Whether you like the word or not, we are in a kind of transitional period but at least this feels like the management team have some sort of plan. The last 3 managers have bought random players with no plan where to play these players.

We have a lot of deadwood, only probably one half-capable striker left from the previous regimes, and he is only 21. It's going to be hard, there is no magic wand. You have to draw the line somewhere and give the current regime a chance. 6 months is not long enough.

People like to cite Wolves, Leicester and others for winning at top-6 grounds, and that's very commendable, but, from the way people talk, you'd think they would be light-years ahead, but they're not; only a point or two... which suggests that they do awful in other fixtures. West Ham – who some laud for the way they tore us to bits – are below us.

We are inconsistent – not terrible. They need time to right the horrible wrongs of past regimes. I will still be as annoyed and frustrated as anyone when we have games like yesterday and against Spurs and will vent my spleen on here but I'm prepared to give them time due to how bad we had gotten last season. It was a complete and utter mess. I'd not seen football so bad for many many years as last season – terrible – so it will take a while. If anybody has any magic fairy dust then feel free to sprinkle it, otherwise patience is required.

Klopp inherited a much better squad than Silva did and he has taken until Van Dijk appeared to get any kind of consistency. It's just ridiculous to call for Silva's head this early due to the mess made by other managers. We need a period of stability now. I have faith that Brands knows what he is doing and am prepared to give Silva a fair crack of the whip. Like it or not, there is no quick fix.

Paul Tran
4 Posted 30/12/2018 at 22:17:16
Personally & professionally, I'd like to think I'm always in transition in some respects. If a football club has 4 managers in 2 years, with three buying 'their' players and the other playing 'his' lads from the U23s, it's got "Mess to be cleared up" written all over it.

It's the things that cost nothing where Silva is coming up short for me: giving the team some defined shape & identity; sending them out to play with passion & purpose...

We can acknowledge a necessary period of transition and still call Silva out on his shortcomings, can't we?

Tony Abrahams
5 Posted 30/12/2018 at 22:25:35
I think we’ve made our voices heard with Martinez, Koeman, and Allardyce, but hopefully the team can improve and the fans can find their voices to get right behind them.
Len Hawkins
6 Posted 30/12/2018 at 22:28:47
Who is the Super Duper exceptional Manager that is going to leave his job to take over Everton and start again with the core of players that have seen zero success and, in 6 months (that is all Silva has had), make Everton a force again in English Football – let alone European Football which Supe Dupe is already managing in apparently?

The more tripe I read, the more I think some people actually believe it. I don't know how many of you have been to Rome, I haven't, but it is bigger than Everton and, as the saying goes, it wasn't built in a day.

Jim Bailey
7 Posted 30/12/2018 at 22:48:21
Just to be clear, and thanks to everyone that has engaged on this thread, I am not calling for Silva's head on a platter. I'm asking why we, as a fanbase, all too often accept or excuse poor inconsistent performances?

Why do our players not argue with officials more vociferously if they think they have been hard done by? Why does our manager change a 5-1 winning team three days later?

These things and more (Everton-based) drive me up the proverbial wall. I just don't get it. We are too soft and gullible.

Again, on a previous thread I suggested that the club needs to change its mentality. Not sure how you do that... but getting players in who at least show some stability, even if they have limited ability, would be a start.

We all know that the big stars won't come to us, we've got nothing to offer them, but surely finding players who actually want to play for us? Hopefully Brands has something up his sleeve.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

8 Posted 30/12/2018 at 23:21:26
I place myself firmly in the Dave Ganley and Paul Tran camp on the 'T' word, particularly Paul who wrote:

"Personally & professionally, I'd like to think I'm always in transition in some respects", before going on to say a football club is similarly always in transition.

Now Jim's opening (and subsequent) post seemingly takes umbrage at what he perceives as passive acceptance by some of the fan base, excusing the state of the club as currently being in 'transition'.

Whilst I understand the sentiment Jim expresses, it's really not a view I can entirely subscribe to.

To copy-paste in part what I have already written on the match day thread where again the 'T' word was being debated, I wrote:

[The word 'transition'] should not be used as a single justification for poor performances and results. Similarly, it should not be used as a means to berate those who legitimately post saying that we are a club in transition.

A football club and individual posters are not exempt from life and the laws of nature: everything is constantly in transition. It is a never-ending process.

You have to be a very unforgiving Blue if you wish to attribute to Silva and Brands nearly 3 decades of poor governance, finances, transfer policy, and personnel at the club, barely half a year into their stewardship.

You can extend that to Moshiri who, in his 3 years, has clearly invested time and money in trying to turn the Good Ship Everton around from the vortex is was being sucked into.

Have Moshiri's managerial appointments and player purchases all been successful? Clearly not. But he is swift in taking action when things are not working. If Silva proves not to be an improvement on Koeman and Allardyce, for sure, he will also get his P45.

For me, it is totally legitimate to express some tolerance and a call for patience this season, as so many posters are willing to do. That does not necessarily equate to passive acceptance of poor performances and results, as some wish to oversimplify it.

Again for me, it is way, way too premature to call for Silva's head as some are starting to do. All the more so when you read some proposed replacements.

*****

Going into the derby game, there was a growing majority 'good-feel' factor about the way things were shaping up and until the 96th minute of the game at Anfield, that feeling remained to the fore.

That progress has unquestionably stalled in the six games since then. Some try to project our more recent performances as being typical across the whole season. I disagree. Things were definitely on the up.

Therein lies Silva's current challenge: get us back to winning ways; get us back to conceding fewer goals; find a way for us to take more of our chances.

The manager, the team, the individual players have shown this very season they are capable enough. But, as Paul writes, what we seemingly lack most is consistency, an ability to maintain a minimum standard from one game to the next.

Paul also wisely adds: "We can acknowledge a necessary period of transition and call Silva out on his shortcomings, can't we?"

Silva has a benevolent fixture list in January. If he doesn't start getting results from them, quite rightly, he will be called out for the failure, even though we are unquestionably a club 'in transition'.

Chris Gould
9 Posted 31/12/2018 at 00:31:52
"Why does our manager change a 5-1 winning team three days later?"

Because three days is not enough recovery time for players to perform at their optimum levels. The Christmas period always throws up results that are less likely at other times of the season.

Spurs thrashed us and Bournemouth but then lose at home to Wolves. Leicester beat Chelsea and City but then lose at home to Cardiff. Arsenal beat Burnley easily but then only drew with Brighton and got thrashed by Liverpool. Burnley got stuffed by us and then beat West Ham who had just earned a good win at Southampton.

Teams suffer unlikely results due to fatigue and forced rotation. The amount of games at Christmas is fun but ridiculous. You need real strength in depth to come through the Xmas schedule unscathed.

Clive Rogers
10 Posted 31/12/2018 at 11:19:07
I don't know whether 'transition' is the correct term or not, but what we have to accept is that we are recovering from 20 years plus of decline. This started when Johnson decided to jump ship and sacrifice Everton FC to save his parent company. From that day, and under Kenwright's tenure, there was zero investment and zero ambition. It became accepted that progress and success were not feasible.

With the new owner, things have changed for the better behind the scenes. Having said that, there have obviously been mistakes made in terms of managers particularly and players also. The club was a complete shambles on both the football and the financial divisions and we will have to accept that it will take time to correct, particularly on the pitch.

I personally have faith in Moshiri to get it right eventually. Unless of course he runs out of money.

David Pearl
11 Posted 31/12/2018 at 15:29:14
Well seeing as this group of players, with injuries letting off over the last couple of months, they have only played around 10 games together. Silva is also trying to find a couple systems that work while having no great strikers. Calvert-Lewin is improving. I'd definitely say we were in trans... formation.
Stan Schofield
12 Posted 31/12/2018 at 17:09:49
All teams are always in 'transition'. Even when you're at the top and winning trophies, players come and go, as do managers. I don't see any reason to focus on that term particularly in relation to us.

It's clear that nobody associated with the club, including us supporters, is happy being constantly midtable, even if we are always in the Premier League. We want to change from that position, to one of competing at the top, so we are in a particular kind of 'transition'.

What is equally clear, however, is that we have enough quality in the squad to be competing better than we have been. We lack strength in depth, but that is designed to change through younger players continuing to develop, plus new signings in the summer and thereafter. But we can do better now, and our current league placing does not represent our abilities, so is unacceptable.

I think our main issue is 'belief'. Silva started out apparently believing we could beat anyone, and the players seemed to believe that too, as well as many of us supporters. But that belief seems to have waned during December, which has been a really shite month. The belief needs to return ASAP, so that we can get the best out of what we have at the moment.

Clive Rogers
13 Posted 31/12/2018 at 22:32:13
David, #11, are you sure Calvert-Lewin is improving. He had a shocker against Burnley when the rest of the team played well. He was subbed after an hour, told he had to do better, and was dropped for the next game. He has made 60 appearances and is 22 in March.
Jerome Shields
14 Posted 02/01/2019 at 07:48:20
Transition means a process of change from one state to another. In Everton's case, from inconsistency to consistency.

Inconsistency in terms of the Premier League is because of mismanagement and acceptance of a glass ceiling in performance for over 20 years. It is going to take 5 years or at least 3 to achieve such a change because these problems are deep-seated.

A poor level of coaching, a profligate transfer policy, long contracts extended contracts, overpriced contracts, too large of a squad, underdeveloped players, introducing a better style of play, and sourcing suitable players hasn't been helped by the more recent employment of management teams that added to the problems and costed a shovel-full of money in the process.

Stage One is to play the right type of football, get rid of deadwood, develop existing players with potential, reduce outgoings to make money available, bring in suitable players where necessary, and increase the overall coaching standard.

Everton appeared to be heading in the right direction, better type of football, developing players on loan, reducing the deadwood, bringing in suitable players, reducing outgoings. . . but the developing of existing players has been disjointed, continuing with players who underperform and not addressing weaknesses by coaching – or even seeming to realise they exist, is a concern and certainly not moving in the right direction. Inconsistent management breeds inconsistent results and transition is dwarfed and doesn't exist.

This is my opinion. It is better to think this way, rather than have the idea that Everton is a sleeping gaint, a Big Club, The People's Club (sop for the fans), a top-four club or a top-six club. For years, no plan was in place to achieve a top-four position and certainly no attempt was made to change. It was all so cosy and well paid.

Steve Ferns
15 Posted 02/01/2019 at 21:59:51
Jay Wood, spot on Sir. +1 for me.
Colin Glassar
16 Posted 02/01/2019 at 22:32:50
I still firmly believe we have some very good players, eg, Pickford, Digne, Gana, Mina (yes, him), Gomes, Sigurdsson, Richarlison etc... Enough core players to build an excellent team around. What we don't have are leaders or, as I prefer, characters.

We are in desperate need of players with the mentality of a Peter Reid, an Andy Gray or an Andy King. None of these were the most technically gifted players but they were lads who would run through a brick wall for their mates. Who could have a laugh on and off the pitch. Who could pull the team through a bad patch by sheer willpower.

Kingy was a great player but he was also the team clown, the cheeky chappy who'd make everyone laugh (except his manager), the one who'd help everyone take life a little less seriously etc... This current crop look like they are far too serious, maybe a night out in Blackpool would help them chill out a little bit and to start enjoying themselves more on the pitch.

Transition or not, football is entertainment and should be enjoyed by fans and players alike. It's not life or death, like old Bill was once said.

Steve Ferns
17 Posted 02/01/2019 at 22:42:38
Colin, we definitely need a leader. Seamus Coleman is not it. He has been a poor captain. I don't think there is a captain in that squad. I do think Mina has some qualities, but maybe he's the joker more than a leader, and he'll certainly need to learn English if he wants the armband.

Tom Davies is a certainty for captain, if (and it's a big if for most of you) he can prove himself good enough to be in the side; but, even if he does improve, he's a good few years away from being the captain we need.

We've not had a leader since Cahill, and he didn't even wear the armband. We need someone who can kick everyone else up the arse, but also roll up his sleeves and drive us forwards, leading by example too.

When the going gets tough, no-one in that side steps forward. Most will disagree, but I think Davies does; but, if we put the 20-year-old to one side, there's no-one else. Not even Gomes or Sigurdsson.

Colin Glassar
18 Posted 02/01/2019 at 22:52:18
I can't think of anyone in this squad who shows leadership qualities, Steve. Tom looks like a quite shy, unassuming lad so I don't really see him being captain or leader.

Seamus shouts, and points, a lot but you lead by example and, unfortunately, Seamus's game has declined so rapidly, he can hardly lead by example.

There have been rumours about a possible loan deal for Diego Costa. Now there's a leader!

Steve Ferns
19 Posted 02/01/2019 at 22:58:30
Colin, for me the game that will always stick out will be that Lyon game at home. Sure, we got stuffed and Davies did not play at all well. But he was a 19-year old-boy. He was having a bad game. They all were, but him particularly. The rest of the players hid. Williams went looking for a fight to get him off the pitch so he could hide properly.

Yet Tom did not hide. He kept running, getting stuck in, demanding the ball, and trying to make things happen. Sure, it didn't come off. But, for me, that's a leader. Someone who did not hide, who tried to take responsibility, and he did that at 19.

Colin Glassar
20 Posted 02/01/2019 at 23:10:03
You could be right, Steve. I suppose you don't have to go around screaming at everyone to be a leader.
Steve Ferns
21 Posted 02/01/2019 at 23:15:19
You don't even need to wear the armband. Just ask Cahill.
John Pierce
22 Posted 02/01/2019 at 23:29:34
Transition, a word which covers the gamut of scenarios except abject and genius.

Silva has a vision, a long term goal, pursuit of that lofty aim is obscuring the shorter term issues. A coach should always be adjusting, reflecting after blocks of games. He just seems to be going headlong into each game to batter teams.

For me, he's ignoring some obvious flaws in his own shortcomings and not dealing with them. That's a red flag.

Sure everyone's had a tough schedule, and many teams have their squad depth exposed. They only partially explain performances.

He believes he can beat anyone, that's cool and a worthy aim. But under his tenure we've beaten nobody of note at all, an away win at Leicester the zenith of our best result.

He wants attacking football with zeal and entertainment. And we've seen much a better style this season. Yet look at the season collectively and he cannot break down poor teams or teams with a defensive plan. He's jumping the gun for me before we can beat the big guys, learn your trade and beat the small fry.

Even the wins have in part been painful. Palace and Cardiff a couple of decent examples.

His substitutions are getting plenty of stick and again the aim is positive, always positive. I can't knock him for that but when we go a goal down, it's just kamikaze, lashing forward after forward on, we lose all shape, control and it really is hit and hope. I've seen us play 2-4-4 and 4-2-4 in the latter stages of games. Madness. It's all risk and no calculation. He needs a much better plan in-game when things don't work.

Silva has the right intentions but needs to be far better in execution, he is trying too hard, running before he can walk.

I'm looking for a more controlled performance in the next five games and with it our better quality it should see us through. I'm looking for Chelsea away. That was our best performance for me – controlled but with a threat.
He really needs a good run because March and April's schedule is unforgiving at home.

Don't ignore what's in front of you just because you have laudable goals in the long term. Because, before you know it, you could be fighting for your job.

Time to step up, Marco.

Simon Dalzell
23 Posted 04/01/2019 at 01:36:01
Spot on Jim. TRANSITION my lillywhite. Manager and players seriously underachieving. Time for the Bull to stop.
Mark Cranney
24 Posted 04/01/2019 at 06:31:34
We simply need a consistant and game winning forward, its that simple. Yes we could wait for hell to freeze over or man u to be relegated. But looking at the forward line of DCL, Tosun and Niasse it really does not scare defenders. 15 plus forward is what is needed now, and the deadwood well lets start talking the loss. 6.5 mill for Niasse SOLD off the books there is a start...

We have spent most of the season developing a consistant team from the back to the middle with 2 loan players playing a massive part but they are on LOAN. Problem there don't you think. Have loved watch AG in the middle the man is head and shoulders above anyone else in that department but he is on loan from barca and going to cost a lot to secure don't get me wrong I would break the bank in a heart beat for him. Zoom zoom good player but think his return to chelsea will be but just that a return.

David Thomas
25 Posted 04/01/2019 at 07:24:58
Steve,

If Davies is our captain in a few years then that is a really depressing thought.

Each to their own but if that does happen that would suggest to me that the club was going nowhere.

Look at the game last night and think how those two clubs are going to improve over the next few years and what do we have to look forward to Tom Davies being our captain and leader.

The club hopefully has bigger plans otherwise the best we can hope forward is to continue to tread water.