Why I believe that Silva is no longer fit to mange our club

by   |   27/01/2019  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

It is with a heavy heart I write this. The worst performance I have ever witnessedas an Evertonian was the 3-0 loss at Southhampton when it was clear to me that Martinez was unfit to manage our club.

We are here again. Yesterday was as bad as I have ever seen. I have supported our coach, argued that he should have time. I believe that we need a sign. Something, a glimpse, a tiny bit of light,some shred of hope that Silva has a plan..

Look at yesterday. Gana tackling on the right wing Coleman and Digne crossing like they had never played football in their lives. And, worst of all, our coach looking bewildered, utterly bewildered. Silva is not good enough. I believe that he should be sacked.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Simon Dalzell
1 Posted 28/01/2019 at 00:40:26
Yes Andy. No doubt whatsoever, and the sooner the better, but it will probably drag out.
Brian Porter
2 Posted 28/01/2019 at 08:13:27
100% in agreement with you, Andy. Not much else to say really, is there?

Apart from, us being Everton, it will drag on for ever and a day before Moshiri or Brands, whoever has the guts to end our torment before it gets any worse.

For fuck's sake, Monaco didn't waste any time getting rid of Thierry Henry, did they? Despite him being a 'big name', they knew it wasn't working so they took action. I wish we could be as decisive.

Pat Kelly
3 Posted 28/01/2019 at 13:14:23
The players appear to have no confidence in Silva's approach and are not buying into it. I think he has lost them already. He's now asking them to step up. This is usually the last throw of the dice. He has failed to impose his way on the team and there's no coming back from that.
Michael Lynch
4 Posted 28/01/2019 at 13:31:44
He's supposed to be this brilliant coach, but I'm not seeing any evidence of it. He's taken a bunch of average-to-good players and – both individually and collectively – seems to have coached them into being shit.

Kevin Dale
5 Posted 28/01/2019 at 13:34:09
Just seen his pre-match interview, he says its not time to panic?

For me its his tactics and system of play: good managers have two or three systems they use depending on who the opposition are, and indeed some Managers will make changes during a game if things are not working,

Unfortunately with Silva he sticks with his 4-3-3 (or 4-2-1-2-1) with the so-called play-maker as No 10, this has left our midfield weak, and the team with two winger and a No 10 short of defensive abilities causes lots of pressure to be put on our defenders, especially at set pieces as our two wingers and the No 10 are crap at defending and picking up runners!

He needs to play 4 good midfielders with two upfront, we are constantly getting overrun in midfield and that needs to stop! if we don't start winning it will be time to start panicking!

Having said all that, I'm not sure its the right time to change our manager, but our manager needs to show us he can coach and man-manage asap.

Les Cliff
6 Posted 28/01/2019 at 13:43:44
I agree totally as the whole team look disjointed and the manager does not seem to have a clue on how to change the dynamics of the game.

We as a club need to stop appointing managers who have won nothing in their careers as a manager, as the last four appointments have all failed.

It is so disappointing to see each manager waste money on players who have no speed or very little talent. I am losing the will to live watching our club play this season.

Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 28/01/2019 at 18:00:58
He’s got to change something because its just not working at the minute.

Millwall were poor, but Everton never had the craft to pull them apart, and this has got to be my biggest disappointment when I watch Everton lately.

Zonal marking has left the defence void of confidence, just like pushing both the fullbacks on without real cover has done the same thing.

We are not getting close enough to each other, both in defence and attack, this leaves us exposed, and it leaves us very, very predictable.

Not many “little give an goes” and even when we do get it right, not enough players really trying hard enough to get in the box.

We have become very boring lately, and this contributes to the poor atmosphere at Goodison, so let’s hope something changes soon before it becomes toxic due to exasperation, once again.

Lev Vellene
8 Posted 28/01/2019 at 18:18:54
When we gave away that silly free-kick in the final minute vs Millwall, I was already out of my chair to turn of the whole humiliation, as I knew how that would end! Aren't we pathetic to make our supporters just know how such a situation will end, from too many games going the same way...

I tend to try to talk soothingly to my pets to relax them before/as/after I go ballistic at anything Everton-wise these last 15 years or more, but I can only hope someone doesn't come to 'rescue' them. I have taught my parrots (and cats...) some choice words that I hope they'll forget anytime soon...

I can only hope someone can teach those words to Silva!

Jamie Crowley
9 Posted 28/01/2019 at 18:25:48
I wonder where it all went wrong?

Going into the derby, my sense of confidence was sky high. There had been some ugly games to be sure (West Ham was awful). But there were plenty - plenty - of green shoots.

I watched some beautiful soccer. I'd argue up and until the 95th (or whatever) minute of the derby we looked fantastic. It was one of the best games I've seen us play. Were were dangerous. We defended well. The effort was sublime - peacock chest pride stuff.

Since that time, we look disinterested, it seems we march out every game with the same approach and tactics, and we've been shit.

I understand the rs game was soul-crushing. But since that time we've folded up the tent. Buried our heads in the sand. Curled up in the fetal position.

It's down to Marco to motivate the players. He needs to do it tomorrow night. If tomorrow night is more of the same fare, his head must roll.

We're too big a Club to not act like one, and be afraid to sack an ineffectual manager. Pride is a thing.

Jay Harris
10 Posted 28/01/2019 at 18:47:59
Jamie,
Although I never wanted a manager who has been in charge of a relegated side and whose resume did nothing to give me any confidence I was reassured by a number of posters who claimed he was underrated and would be just what we need. I wanted this to work because there is no doubt initially we started to play proper football.

However a leopard never changes its spots and when the chips are down so is Silva.

He has no heart or inspiration so how can he inspire the players to be better.

I always say defeatist managers blame anyone but themselves whereas when the going gets tough the tough get going and strong managers will see this situation as an opportunity to rally the troops..

Silva's record when things go against him does dot show any strength in fact worryingly it shows the reverse.

So for me it is Silva out.

Ancellotti gets my vote. For that matter any Italian manager would be better than Silva

Jamie Crowley
11 Posted 28/01/2019 at 19:00:38
Jay -

Remember Klopp charging onto the field when they scored, embracing the keeper? I'll tell ya why he did it and had that reaction.

Jurgen Klopp realized he'd just dodged a massive bullet and beat one hell of a well-coached, talented, driven team.

Where in the name of all that is holy has that team gone?

Steve Ferns
12 Posted 28/01/2019 at 23:28:01
Ancelotti!!!! For god's sake, explain how that bone idle, chequebook manager would fix things. And that's without considering why he'd leave the side in second to come here. By the way his second is a lot further off top than Sarri's record breaking second and Napoli look a much poorer side despite the league position. Next season will be a disaster once Sarri's coaching wears off, unless the players do a Bayern and meet up for unauthorised training sessions in the park to make up for the shite that Ancelotti has them doing.
Si Cooper
15 Posted 30/01/2019 at 19:31:18
Unfit to manage our club? What does that even mean?

Until the derby, I'd say most were reasonably happy with Silva. Then the wheels fell off. Are we really that awful that Silva doesn't deserve a bit longer to steady the ship?

By the end of last season we were going nowhere, with an ageing and grossly swollen squad. I think Silva and Brands made a decent start to improving that situation, but realistically it was never going to be fully resolved in the space of one transfer window. If anyone thought there would be no slumps this season then they were overly optimistic. Now they appear to me to be overly pessimistic.

There are no ‘gimmes' in the Premier League and even a Championship side with some resolute defending and a bit of luck will be a challenge to players who are low in confidence.

I hear people saying no more managers with relegations on their CV and yet Moyes and Benitez are regularly proposed. Everything has to be taken in context. Who are our realistic managerial targets?

For me, Marco Silva's future at Everton should still be in the balance; he needs to improve things quickly but has not really disgraced himself or our club. The calls for his removal are a bit premature for me.

Des Farren
16 Posted 30/01/2019 at 19:51:42
So, on the basis of some poor crossing by Coleman and Digne and the fact that Silva looked "bewildered", Andy, you feel the man should lose his job?

Feel we have been here before with Martinez. I mean he tried to have the team play football which Baines, Jags and a few others did not like. Oh yeah, he also looked bewildered at the efforts of highly paid footballers, but he wore brown shoes which this forum, for one, did not like.

And we could all see, but few acknowledge, how Belgium performed in the World Cup.

Meanwhile, we were breaking records at home. See how far we have come!

Andy Crooks
17 Posted 02/02/2019 at 20:07:44
Yes, Des, I think the man should lose his job. Also, Belgum were the best team in the world; they would have won the World Cup had they not been managed by the worst manager in the world.
Steve Carse
18 Posted 03/02/2019 at 12:53:40
There's no point in getting shut this season. No-one would be looking to take on the job at this point in time anyway.

But I have to say, unless the team starts showing some sign of improvement, some evidence of a plan and style of play, before the season's end, then there's a big decision to be made come June.

There was no evidence at all yesterday. In fact, performances, organisation, morale etc are going down fast.