Bristol City Logo Bristol City 0 - 3 Everton 
Half-time: 0-1
Everton Logo
Pre-Season Friendly 1997
Friday 1 August 1997
Ashton Gate, Bristol
Att: 7,677
Guernsey Select XI (a) Crystal Palace (h)
Bristol City: --
EVERTON: Farrelly (45), Stuart (50), Barmby (70)
LINEUPS Subs Not Used
Bristol City: Welch; Carey; Barnard; Edwards; Taylor; Dyche; Bell; Tinnion; Hewlett; Goater; Barclay.
EVERTON: Southall (58 Gerrard); Barrett; Phelan (73 Unsworth); Watson; Short; Oster; Farrelly; Stuart; McCann (33 Thomsen); Ferguson (46 Branch); Speed (46 Barmby).
Unavailable: Parkinson, Grant, Bilic, Hinchcliffe (injured) Dunne (Intl Duty)

Andrew Kyle Everton in Command
DAILY POST Blue Heaven for Rookies

ToffeeWeb Links: [Fixtures] [History] [Current Season] [Club] [Fans] [Home] [Top]
Everton in Command
Andrew Kyle
The scoreline fully reflected Everton's complete domination of the match especially after half-time.

The game started with both sides looking slightly nervous with the Everton defence making some initial mistakes. But Everton then began to assert their divisional supremacy and the first goal certainly was important. A long(ish) ball was played up to Oster who had found a lot of space in the middle on the the edge of the penalty area. He then slipped it through to Farrelly who was making the run and he shot and although it was on target, it wasn't going in until it took a deflection of a City defender. Much like Zola's goal against England at Wembley in that respect.

After the goal, Everton began to pass it around and actually were able to find their own teammates with their passes. There were a few great moves, especially down the left with Phelan and Farrelly/Speed working well. Despite having the supremecy, clear chances did not come. Big Dunc was so dominant in the air that he won everything and he also showed some great touches on the floor. This domination may be partly due to the fact that Everton managed to injure City's best defender, Shaun Taylor early on.

However, when Everton did managed to have shots they were all on target, except a volley from Oster which went a long way over. Late in the half, Claus Thomsen came on for McCann. At first he looked like a donkey almost gifting City a goal with his first touch but after he settled he looked like he knew what he was doing and played solidly.

At half time Ferguson and Speed were withdrawn for Barmby and Branch and this did make a difference to the team. Barmby began to control the game and Everton had about three-quarters of possession in the second half. The second goal was always coming and it went to Stuart. A free kick on the edge of the area was taken by Farrelly. He shot it was saved, another shot came in and was saved but the ball broke for Stuart who tapped it in.

It was about this time that City tested Southall. A shot from the edge of the area was deflected by a defender and went straight at the keeper. Southall was later withdrawn for Gerrard and got a great round of aplause from all round the ground.

Branch was again making intelligent running and Barmby was making all the little passes and linking play well. It was Barmby who got the third and best goal of the night. A good move led to the ball being passed out to the right wing. The cross was perfect and Barmby flicked past the keeper right into the corner. After this Everton just passed the ball around and never really went for the fourth goal. But late on, Gerrard made a good save when a City forward was through on goal. The Everton defence looked solid throughout and very well organised, catching the City attack offside many times.


  • Southall - 6 - Competant but had nothing to do
  • Barrett - 6 - Solid in defence but distribution was not great. Not a great link with Oster
  • Watson - 8 - Regal. Ruled the defence. Man of the match
  • Short - 7 - Solid in defence and some inspired? runs upfield with the ball
  • Phelan - 7 - Worked well down the left in attack but left some big gaps in defence
  • Farrelly - 7 - Good running and intelligent play
  • Speed - 7 - Looked a classy player with some great passing
  • McCann - 6 - Withdrawn early and was quiet when on
  • Stuart - 7 - A good game including a goal. Good running
  • Ferguson - 8 - Absolutely dominant and a good touch
  • Oster - 7 - Always looked like he had the beating of his marker but never took him on
  • Gerrard - 6 - Nothing to do except one good save
  • Unsworth - 6 - Came on late after game was won
  • Thomsen - 7 - Looked like he could handle the opposition and exerted authority
  • Branch - 6 - Good running but no real shots
  • Barmby - 8 - A class apart. A great creator and a great goal and good link play.

Blue Heaven for Rookies
Daily Post
The young boys in blue took the eye once again last night as Everton completed their pre-season programme with a composed performance at Ashton Gate. Gareth Farelly, the man Howard Kendall snapped up from Aston Villa during the summer, scored one goal and created another in a bright display while 1.5 million teenager John Oster once again showed touches of true class against hardworking opponents from the Second Division, who made liberal use of substitutes.

A third Everton youngster, midfielder Gavin McCann, fared less well, limping off after 33 minutes because of tiredness.

Everton manager Kendall began with Duncan Ferguson and Graham Stuart in attack, leaving Nick Barmby on the bench until the second half.  But Everton's record buy responded by heading an excellent third goal. Everton can be expected to start with Slaven Bilic in central defence when they open their Premiership campaign against Crystal Palace next Saturday, provided the Croatian can shake off a slight knee injury that kept him out of action last night.

But elsewhere the evidence of the pre-season games suggest that the new young faces introduced by Kendall during the summer may have done enough to earn their chance on the competitive stage. Oster and Farrelly combined delightfully to carve out the opening goal on 17 minutes.

Oster kept a cool head on the edge of the Bristol box, resisting the temptation to shoot and holding the ball up until Farrelly arrived on the overlap to fire a right foot shot high past keeper Keith Welch from a dozen yards.

The goal was a reward for some neat build-up play from Everton, who moved the ball about in pleasing patterns from the start. City could have taken the lead on 13 minutes when Shaun Goater burst between Everton's centre-backs Craig Short and Dave Watson but dragged the ball wide from the edge of the box.

Everton doubled their advantage five minutes after the re-start and Farrelly was involved again. His quickly taken free kick from the right almost caught Welch napping.

The Bristol keeper was left stranded when the loose ball ran to the far side of the goal where Stuart turned it into the net from close range. Barmby, a second half substitute for Gary Speed, blazed an inviting chance over just after the hour, but made amends with a precisely directed header from Earl Barrett's right wing cross in the 70th minute.

[Fixtures] [History] [Current Season] [Club] [Fans] [Home] [Top]
Michael Kenrick 1997