VV Una Logo v v Una 1 - 6 Everton
Half-Time: 1 - 1
Everton Logo
1998 Pre-season Tour, Game 5
Thursday 6 August 1998
Veldhoven, Holland
Att: ~350
« St Tuiden (f) Ref: ? Fortuna Sittard (f) »
1998-99 Fixtures & Results


v v Una: Saoudi (6)
EVERTON: Branch (21), Madar (50, pen:75, 86), Spencer (53), El Hamruun (70)   El Hamruun
   LINEUPS  Subs Not Used 
v v Una: N/A
EVERTON: Woods, O'Kane, Watson (43 Short), Tiler, Thomas, El Hamruun, Oster (79 Hutchison), Farrelly (80 Cleland), Madar, Spencer, Branch. 
Unavailable: Gerrard, Dunne, Ward, Cadamarteri, Williamson, Phelan, Parkinson (injured). Unsworth (signing not resolved)
   Yellow Cards  Red Cards
v v Una:

Sorry, none filed

TEAMTALK Magic Mickey
LIVERPOOL ECHO Madar hat-trick helps Blues find their rhythm
by Paul Joyce

 Magic Mickey
Mikael Madar grabbed a hat-trick and Michael Branch, John Spencer and Tunisian triallist Jasser El Hamruum all scored, as Everton at last found their pre-season goalscoring touch against Dutch amateurs V V Una on Thursday.

The Blues ran out 6-1 winners against a side probably of GM Vauxhall conference standard, but Madar especially will take a lot from the game. Walter Smith fielded a very much under-strength Everton side, including a debut in goal for Chris Woods, whose first duty was to pick the ball out of the back of the net as the home side took the lead on 6 minutes. Branch found an equalizer but then missed a penalty and it was 1-1 at half-time before the Blues ran riot in the second period.

Madar scored on 50 minutes, Spencer and then El Hammrun grabbed goals three and four, before Madar completed his hat-trick 15 minutes from the end.

Madar's performance could well have earned him a place in the starting eleven alongside Duncan Ferguson for the game against Fortuna Sittard on Saturday. John Oster was ordered to be substituted for violent conduct, which would have earned him a three-match ban in the Premiership, when he retaliated after a late challenge.

 Madar hat-trick helps Blues find their rhythm
by Paul Joyce, The Liverpool Echo
French striker Mickael Madar hit a hat-trick as Everton recovered from the embarrassment of losing an early goal to stroll to a comfortable victory against the Dutch amateurs. But manager Walter Smith will have learnt very little about his players against a team of limited opposition.

Michael Branch, who also missed a penalty, John Spencer and triallist Yasser El Hamruum scored the other goals – while Welsh international John Oster had to be substituted after striking out at a Una player.

Despite the rout, it was Everton, consisting mainly of the players on the fringes of Smith's plans, who fell behind as they struggled to find their rhythm. Former England international and now Goodison goal-keeping coach Chris Woods was beaten after six minutes when Mimoun Saoudi tucked home a low shot.

It took Everton until the 21st minute to equalise against a side who are the equivalent of a Vauxhall Conference team in England. Neat play from Oster and Spencer released John O'Kane, and his cut-back was tapped home by Branch.

Two minutes later Branch was brought down by keeper Mark Sleddens but the youngster waisted a chance of claiming his, and Everton's, second when he struck a poor penalty which was easily saved.

Several chances were then squandered before a half-time roasting from Smith and his assistant Archie Knox saw Everton step up a gear and finally move in to the lead on 50 minutes. Oster's defence-splitting pass released the lively Branch, whose performance will have given the manager food for thought, and his cross enabled Madar to claim the first of his treble.

Two minutes later Madar managed to wriggle out of a tight corner and flight a beautiful cross which Spencer planted in the far corner for his third pre-season strike.

With Una tiring quickly, Tunisian El Hamruum tapped home the fourth and Madar then claimed his second after 75 minutes from the penalty spot after El Hamruum was scythed down. He completed his hat-trick with just four minutes remaining after a well placed header from O'Kane's cross.

The only blot on a much improved second half performance was Oster's enforced substitution by the referee after he appeared to hit an opponent after being the victim of a late tackle. Skipper Dave Watson left the field just before the interval after a clash of heads and Gareth Farrelly limped off with a shin injury.

[Fixtures] [History] [Current Season] [Club] [Fans] [Home] [Top]
© Michael Kenrick 1998
Last updated: 10 August 1998