Skip to Main Content
Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A


Everton Reserves' season in the FA Premier Reserve League (Northern Section)

Everton�s Reserve side plays in the FA Barclays Premier Reserve League Northern Section.  The 2009-10 season was was one of their poorest on record, the side managng just five wins and finishing 9th out of 10 in the north section. This webpage contains a complete record of the season, including every line-up for the league games as well as friendlies and matches in the Liverpool Senior Cup



Results & Fixtures  A record of Everton's reserve matches for the season
League Table  Current standings in the FA Premier Reserve League
Match Details  Teamsheets and brief reports for each match
Appearances  A table of reserve appearances for all senior players
Friendlies Results from reserve-level friendly matches
Everton Reserves played their matches in  Stobart Stadium, Widnes. 



The FA Premier Reserve League (FAPRL) is composed of just the 22 teams making up the Premier League.  It is split into two sections � North and South, with only 18 games scheduled on the fixture list for each club as a result.  Once upon a time, the Reserves provided a resource of players who could turn out for the senior team when first-choice players got injured.  But that paradigm has pretty much gone by the wayside, which seems odd in these days of "squad rotation" � something David Moyes hasn't really got his head around. He just likes to have a "small, tight-knit" first-team squad, with the Reserves forming a somewhat pointless extension of the Youth Academy.

Adam Forshaw and Shame Duffy lead the appearances table, with Duffy (a defender) the leading scorer on just 3 goals. None of the recognized forwards, Nathan Craig, Hope Akpan, or Kieran Agard making much of an impression in that department.

The two Americans, Cory Arnoux and Anto Peterlim played in more than half of the games, as did other additions brought in this season, Luke Garbutt and Shkodran Mustafi.

Dan Gosling apeared in four games and scored two goals before he got injured; Seamus Coleman played in five ganmes before he went out on loan to Blackpool.

A handful of senior players made rare appearances: Senderos (3); Vaughan & Yakubu (2); Hibbert, Neill and Anicebe (1), while 'keeper Carlo Nash played in most of the early games but took a back seat after Iain Turner returned to fitness from a long injury layoff.

It might have been excpected that the promising Moses Barnett would have stepped up this season but he played only one game before going out on loan to Darlington in November, and did not feature at all after he came back (injured?). He was l;ast heard of going on trial at Watford with John Nolan, but that fell through, so expect him to be released in June 2010.

Everton's games in the Liverpool Senior Cup are covered here also.  Some of the Reserves play in the FA Youth Cup too

 RESULTS AND FIXTURES, 2009-10         

Date Opposition (Venue) Res Scorers Att Pos

FA Premier Reserve League (North Section), 2009-10
Tue 25 Aug Burnley (H)   3 - 0 Yakubu, Gosling, Arnoux 2nd
Tue   1 Sep Manchester City (A)   1 - 4 Forshaw  
Mon 14 Sep Hull City (A)   0 - 2  
Tue 29 Sep Blackburn Rovers (H)   0 - 3  
Tue  6 Oct Manchester United (H)   0 - 1  
Mon 19 Oct Bolton Wanderers (A)   1 - 0 Agard    
Tue   3 Nov Liverpool (H)   0 - 1    
Tue 10 Nov Wigan Athletic (A)   5 - 2 Duffy 2, Donegan 2, Agard    
Mon 23 Nov Sunderland (H)   1 - 1 Arnoux    
Tue 18 Feb Manchester United (A)   0 - 2    
Tue  4 Mar Burnley (A)   3 - 2 Vaughan, Gosling (pen), McAleny    
Mon 22 Mar Wigan Athletic (H)   1 - 4 Duffy    
Tue 30 Mar Manchester City (H)   0 - 0    
Tue  6 Apr Sunderland (A)   0 - 2    
Mon 12 Apr Hull City (H)   0 - 0    
Tue 20 Apr Liverpool (A)   1 - 0 Baxter    
Mon 26 Apr Bolton Wanderers (H)   1 - 2 Baxter    
Thu 29 Apr Blackburn Rovers (A)   0 - 4    

Liverpool Senior Cup, 2009-10
Mon 8 Feb Bootle (A)   4 - 2 Sheppard (pen), McCarten, Dobie, Codling
Tue 16 Mar Skelmersdale United (A)   0 - 2

FA Pre-Season and Friendlies, 2009-10
Sat 18 Jul Airbus UK (A)   3 - 2 Agard 2, Forshaw    
Sat 25 Jul Southport (A)   1 - 0 Craig    

(F) denotes Friendly fixture
(XI) denotes Friendly fixture involving an Everton XI (not necessarily the first team)
LSC denotes a tie in the Liverpool Senior Cup



<% =FormatDateTime(oTs("Date"),vbLongDate) %>

<%Do while NOT oTs.EOF%> <%If oTs("Team") = "Everton" then %> <% Else If oTs("Pos") > 15 then %> <% Else %> <% End If %> <% End If %> <%oTs.MoveNext%><%Loop%>
Team Pld W D L F A GD Pts
Man Utd Res 18 13 2 3 35 10 25 41
Man City Res 18 10 5 3 34 20 14 35
Liverpool Res 18 10 2 6 28 20 8 32
Blackburn Res 18 8 5 5 35 24 11 29
Sunderland Res 18 7 1 10 25 32 −7 22
Wigan Res 18 6 3 9 28 35 −7 21
Burnley Res 18 6 3 9 22 36 –14 21
Hull Res 18 6 2 10 22 26 –4 20
Everton Res 18 5 3 10 17 30 –13 18
Bolton Res 18 5 2 11 24 37 –13 17


The section below contains team details, scorers, and brief match reports for Everton Reserves/U-21 matches during the 2009-10 Season. 

 Everton 3 - 0 Burnley

Reserves/U-21  Match No 1
Tuesday 25 August 2009
Stobart Stadum, Widnes

Everton: Turner; Mustafi, Barnett, Wallace (72' Peterlin ), Duffy; McCarten, Gosling (45' Forshaw), Akpan; Agard, Yakubu (69' Arnoux), Baxter.
Subs not used:  Roberts, Codling.  Scorers: Yakubu, Gosling, Arnoux
Yellow Cards:
none.  Red Cards: � 

Playing his first competitive game since rupturing his Achilles at Tottenham in November, Yakubu wasted no time in latching onto James McCarten's long ball to calmly side foot the opening goal of the evening after just 30 seconds. He then drove down the left before finding Dan Gosling in acres of space, the winger finishing calmly to double the lead in the seventh minute.

After such an eventful opening 10 minutes, Everton were in control of the game with Hope Akpan next to threaten the Burnley goal with a close-range header. The game calmed down after its frantic start and the next significant action was a couple of penalty appeals � one for each side and both declined by referee Mr Bristow � around the half hour.

Goalscorer Gosling was replaced at the break, perhaps with Thursday�s Europa League second leg match against Sigma Olomouc in mind, but Everton began the second period brightly. Central defender Shane Duffy, who has featured on the bench for the first team of late, had a couple of headed efforts from corners which were off target.

Jose Baxter also went close on the hour mark before goalscorer Yakubu was withdrawn. Encouragingly, he played nearly 70 minutes before being replaced by American Cody Arnoux, and the new man enjoyed an excellent start to his Everton career, nodding in sub Adam Forshaw's left-wing cross.

Moses Barnett and Kieran Agard could have extended the lead but victory had long been assured.

Match Report by Tom Owen

 Manchester City 4 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 2
Tuesday 1 September 2009

Everton: Turner; Gosling, Garbutt, Akpan, Mustafi; McCarten, Baxter, Wallace; Yakubu (46' Arnoux), Agard, Forshaw. 
Subs not used:  Davies, Codling, Peterlin, Nsiala, Roberts, Thompson. Scorers: Forshaw
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Yakubu  played the first half of an entertaining encounter at Eastlands, but found chances at a premium as the hosts dominated early on. Goals from Greg Cunningham and David Ball put the hosts two ahead inside 17 minutes, but while Adam Forshaw cut the deficit and Ian Turner saved a penalty, Ball�s second and another from Javan Vidal added emphasis to the scoreline.

Andy Holden was able to name another first team regular in Dan Gosling, while Jose Baxter and James Wallace, the midfielder who made his Everton debut in last week's 1-1 draw against Sigma Olomouc, also started.  Forshaw provided the one bright spot of the night when he neatly fired past Nielsen from 10 yards out to cut the deficit 17 minutes before the break.

 Hull City 2 - 0 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 3
Monday 14 September 2009

Everton: Turner; Nsiala, Bidwell, Wallace, Mustafi; Duffy, Baxter, Akpan; Vaughan, Agard, Forshaw.
Subs not used:  Roberts, Codling, McCarten, Arnoux, Peterlin.   Scorers:  None
Yellow Cards:
Baxter  Red Cards: � 

The Tigers called on their first team set-up for the clash - George Boateng, Bernard Mendy and new signing Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink all named in the starting XI. Andy Holden handed striker James Vaughan a place in the starting line-up - his aim to impress for a place in David Moyes' side ahead of a busy run of first-team fixtures.

Everton put the ball in the net first - an excellent run from James Wallace through the midfield set Kieran Agard up to tap home 16 minutes in, only for the young striker to be whistled offside. The young forward had the best chance for Everton in the first period as he narrowly hit wide of the post midway through the half, but the match remained goalless at the break.

Yet just seconds after the interval, Boateng found space to fire a long range into the top corner, stunning keeper Turner to put the Tigers ahead.  Vaughan fought hard to find an equaliser, and was handed a perfect opportunity just three minutes later as Jose Baxter sent an accurate cross into the box � the striker met the effort with his head from six yards out but couldn't beat the host's keeper.

Hull went close to doubling their advantage as defender Mendy forced another fine save from Turner on 53 minutes. And posing a constant threat on goal, the hosts were rewarded for their persistence on the hour as Ryan Kendall slotted home from Turner's initial stop. Despite their efforts, Everton�s second-string were unable to recover from the deficit and depart Humberside with their second defeat in as many weeks.

 Everton 0 - 3 Blackburn Rovers

Reserves/U-21 Match No 4
Tuesday 29 September 2009
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Davies, Neill, Bidwell, Wallace (72' Peterlin), Duffy (82' McCarten), Mustafi, Forshaw, Akpan, Baxter, Agard, Craig (64' Codling).
Subs not used:  Roberts, Nsiala.  Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

LUCAS NEILL played his first full match in Everton colours. Jose Baxter came closest for Everton in the sixth minute but following good work from Kieran Agard and Adam Forshaw, he headed wide from six yards out. Neill, who will be pushing for a place in Everton�s first team squad for this weekend�s Premier League clash with Stoke, also headed straight at the Blackburn keeper.

But on 35 minutes Blackburn took the lead when Reid played a one-two with Hoilett and the Republic of Ireland international fired home. Just before half-time it was 2-0 as Hoilett followed up to tap in after Adam Davies had saved initially from Nikola Kalinic. Baxter saw a low shot comfortably saved by Kean in the second half.

Phil Jones had an effort from close range for the visitors, but Blackburn eventually scored their third and deciding goal. Everton keeper Davies was adjudged to have brought down Doran inside the area and the Blackburn winger picked himself up and scored from the spot himself.

 Everton 0 - 1 Manchester United

Reserves/U-21 Match No 5
Tuesday 6 October 2009
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Nash; Coleman (82' Thompson), Nsiala, McCarten, Bidwell; Forshaw, Peterlin, Gosling; Akpan, Baxter (61' McAleny), Agard.
Subs not used: Davies, Kinsella, Arnoux  Scorers: None.
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

The match saw the return of Blues defender Seamus Coleman from a foot injury which had ruled him out since pre-season, and also saw United keeper Edwin van der Sar make his return to competitive football after breaking his hand in the summer.

It was a wet and miserable night in Widnes but that didn't affect proceedings on the pitch - an energetic start from both sides saw Coleman establish his return to action in the opening seconds - clearing a crafty combination from United attacking duo Joshua King and Federico Macheda.

Jose Baxter caused a moment of unease for van der Sar with a long-range free kick that the keeper caught right on the line after 8 minutes, and an energetic Kieran Agard - evidently buoyed by his recent appearances for David Moyes' senior side - worked tirelessly up front but rarely troubled the experienced Dutch international. After 25 minutes of end-to-end play, King had United's first realistic chance of the half, skying his strike high into the stands.

Good work from captain Dan Gosling in midfield led to academy scholar Adam Forshaw smashing an effort high above the cross bar at the other end. The final five minutes of the half presented a brief moment of concern for Carlo Nash, who had to stretch to cover Matthew James' low shot at the far post, which narrowly travelled wide. Hope Akpan fired a long-range effort in desperation to break the deadlock before the interval, but to no avail.

A hectic opening to the second period saw Macheda direct a strong header at Nash from close range but the stopper confidently collected the ball at his feet. The Italian forward's pace began to cause Everton problems as they allowed the visitors a little too much space to roam and trouble the Blues' back four more frequently. And United were rewarded for their persistence after 55 minutes when Macheda found room to strike the ball over the outstretched palm of Nash to put the visitors in front.

Baxter made way for Conor McAleny on the hour mark before Agard sent in a cross that evaded van der Sar...but also evaded the rest of the Blues attack.Andy Holden handed Zac Thompson his competitive debut for the reserve team with eight minutes remaining in place of the tiring Coleman, who received a warm applause from the 1200-strong Halton crowd. A late effort from Forshaw called van der Sar into action again but the Dutchman’s goalkeeping expertise denied Everton any chance of a late equaliser.

Match Report by Tom Owen

 Bolton Wanderers 0 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 6
Monday 19 October 2009
Leyland Ground, Bolton

Everton: Davies; Coleman, Bidwell (46' Arnoux), Wallace, Nsiala; Duffy, Forshaw; Peterlin, Agard, Baxter, Craig. 
Subs not used:   Roberts, Akpan, McAleney, Codling.  Scorers: Agard
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Kieran Agard pounced 15 minutes from time after half-time substitute Cody Arnoux drove his cross low across the face of goal, leaving the striker to tap the ball into the net. But Agard wasn’t Everton’s only hero – goalkeeper Adam Davies turned in an outstanding display between the sticks to preserve the three points as Bolton pressed for an equaliser late on.

 Everton 0 - 1 Liverpool

Reserves/U-21 Match No 7
Tuesday 3 November 2009
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Davies, Coleman, Bidwell, Wallace, Duffy, Nsiala, Forshaw, Peterlin (56' Codling), Agard, Baxter (65' Arnoux), Akpan (56' McAleny).
Subs not used: Stubhaug, McCarten, Thompson..  Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
Nsiala, Forshaw, Baxter, Akpan.   Red Cards: � 

As with any Merseyside derby, it was a fiercely competitive encounter, with five players booked. But there was also goalmouth action, with Liverpool winning a series of early corners, the best of which saw Chris Mavinga hit the bar.Nikola Saric then volleyed over from close range before Jose Baxter headed over a James Wallace cross.

But Liverpool controlled the game in the first half and they earned a deserved lead seconds before the break when Eccleston ran at centre-back Shane Duffy. The Republic of Ireland youth international couldn’t match his opponent for pace and could only stop him with a trip.

Eccleston stepped up to score from the spot – although a penalty in the second half almost cost Liverpool the win.Robbie Threlfall handled under pressure from Kieran Agard, who took the penalty but hit the post.

Match Report by Tom Owen

 Wigan Athletic 2 - 5 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 8
Tuesday 10 November 2009

Everton: Nash; Coleman, Bidwell, Peterlin, Duffy; Mustafi, Forshaw, Akpan (29' Donegan); Agard, Baxter, Craig (60' Arnoux).
Subs not used: Davies, McCarten, McAleny Scorers: Duffy 2, Donegan 2, Agard
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Shane Duffy scored twice to get Everton of to a flying start. His first came on 17 minutes when he nodded in Adam Forshaw�s free-kick � and just five minutes later he doubled the lead with another header.

Sub Tom Donegan, who replaced the injured Hope Akpan, scored the third to all but seal the points. Kieran Agard then made it 4-0 after latching on to Carlo Nash�s clearance and Donegan volleyed home his second in between Wigan�s two consolation goals.

Match Report by Tom Owen

 Everton 1 - 1 Sunderland

Reserves/U-21 Match No 9
Tuesday 23 November 2009
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Nash; Coleman, Bidwell, Peterlin, Duffy; Mustafi, Donegan (81' McAleny), Forshaw; Arnoux, Baxter (66' Akpan), Craig.
Subs not used: Davies, McCarten, Codling   Scorers: Arnoux
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Jose Baxter had the perfect opportunity to put Andy Holden's side in front in the first half after his cross was handled in the box and the ref pointed to the spot. The striker's penalty though failed to give the Blues the lead and was saved by Trevor Carson, the ball heading straight down the centre of goal and easily rolling into the keeper's arms.

To adds to the Blues' woes, just seconds before the half time whistle Sunderland made Everton pay for their failure to convert the spot kick and snatched the lead through Robbie Weir. The young striker fired the ball into the back of the net over the top of Blues keeper Carlo Nash to put the visitors in front.

Everton started the second half brightly keeping possession, Cody Arnoux soon equalising with a cooly taken shot on 53 minutes. The American striker had the chance to double the Blues' tally moments later but skimmed the side netting. Baxter also had a number of good chances to put the Blues in front, two shots pinging of the post in quick succession, before he was substituted on 66 minutes.

With the action hotting up, Carlo Nash pulled off a superb save diving to his right to punch Sunderland's second half effort clear and keep the score level to earn the Blues a point.

 Manchester United 2 - 0 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 10
Thursday 18 February 2010
Carrington, Manchester

Everton: Turner; Nsiala, Bidwell, Duffy, McCarten; Akpan, Peterlin, Craig (64' Donegan); Baxter, McAleny (78' Garbutt), Forshaw.
Subs not used: Roberts, Thompson, Murphy, Kinsella, Wallace. Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
Nsiala Red Cards: Nsiala 

Turner was by far the busier keeper in the first half, denying Mame Diouf on a number of occasions. But just when the Toffees were probing themselves, United broke the deadlock when Diouf finally beat Turner on 43 minutes. Everton had just hit the post through Adam Forshaw, with Anton Peterlin also having an effort ruled out for offside.

Soon it was two though, as Obertan set up Cameron Stewart who fired a low shot past Turner in first half added time. The home side continued to dominate in the second period and once Everton's Aristote Nsiala had been sent off for two yellow cards, a comeback seemed unlikely.

Sub Febian Brandy could have extended the lead and Turner again denied Obertan as United finished on top.

 Burnley 2 - 3 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 11
Thursday 4 March 2010

Everton: Turner; Thompson, Duffy, Mustafi, Garbutt; Forshaw, Wallace, Gosling; Craig, Baxter (90' Akpan), Vaughan (60' McAleny).
Subs not used: Davies, Peterlin, Murphy.   Scorers: Vaughan, Gosling (pen), McAleny
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

James Vaughan opened the scoring early on before Gosling scored one penalty, missed another and Conor McAleny hit the winner with five minutes left. Earlier, Burnley had twice equalised and a draw looked likely before substitute McAleny’s intervention.

Andy Holden’s men took the lead after just seven minutes when Jose Baxter won a free-kick just outside the right-hand edge of the penalty area.Adam Forshaw whipped the set-piece in and Vaughan was on hand to send a well executed scissor-kick into the net. The lead was short-lived though, with the Clarets scoring on the counter just 60 seconds after Everton’s opener.

Vaughan was dispossessed on the edge of Burnley’s area and a swift move down the Burnley right lead to the leveller. Everton regained the lead on the hour when Forshaw was felled by keeper Diego Penney and Gosling slotted the penalty home. The midfielder had a second penalty saved 12 minutes from time and it looked costly when Burnley equalised three minutes later. But the ex-Plymouth man had other ideas as he went on a splendid run before playing in McAleny who finished well.

 Everton 1 - 4 Wigan Athletic

Reserves/U-21 Match No 12
Monday 22 March 2010
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Turner, Thompson, Garbutt, Nsiala, Duffy, Wallace (70' Donegan), Craig (80' Bidwell), Akpan, Forshaw, Baxter, McAleny.
Subs not used: Davies, Murphy, Dobie.  Scorers: Duffy
Yellow Cards:
Duffy, Forshaw   Red Cards: � 

Shane Duffy scored a late consolation goal – but Everton Reserves had already been overwhelmed by a strong Wigan Athletic line-up at Stobart Stadium Halton last night. Everton were 3-0 down at the break in the FA Premier Reserve League Northern Section clash thanks to a brace from Tomasz Kupisz either side of Antonio Amaya’s well-struck effort.

Callum McManaman, cousin of Steve, sent the first effort of the game over in the fifth minute but the vistors took the lead 13 minutes in when Kupisz lobbed Iain Turner. Jose Baxter hit a volley wide before a penalty appeal was turned down after Hope Akpan was seemingly shoved in the box. But Wigan doubled their lead when a corner fell to Amaya to finish powerfully on the volley.

McManaman then had an effort deflected wide before Kupisz lashed in a superb volleyed effort three minutes before half-time. Wigan remained on top until Duffy scrambled home a corner with 25 minutes left but Cywka had the last word as he capitalised on a mix-up between Turner and sub Jake Bidwell to roll home the fourth.

 Everton 0 - 0 Manchester City

Reserves/U-21 Match No 13
Monday 30 March 2010
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Turner, Nsiala, Bidwell, Wallace, Mustafi, Duffy, McAleny, Akpan, Arnoux (22' Donegan), Forshaw, Craig (70' Peterlin).
Subs not used: Davies, Thompson, Murphy.   Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Everton made some early running when Cody Arnoux caused panic in the City rearguard but the ball got caught under his feet and the chance went begging. It took until the 27th minute for either goalkeeper to be seriously stretched, as Turner went down to his right to palm away Robert Mak’s stinging effort. Nathan Craig then went close with a free-kick from a central position but both sides went in at half-time hoping to spark after the 15-minute break.

And it took an interception from Shane Duffy to prevent Nimely with a clear run on goal. On 65, Jake Bidwell beat his marker and drilled the ball across the six-yard box, but there was no blue shirt able to capitalise. Kieran Trippier’s mazy run ended with his left-footed effort being deflected over by a combination of Duffy and Akpan and from the resulting corner, Duffy headed the ball onto his own crossbar and over.

Mak managed to beat Turner with 13 minutes left, but was denied by a great goal-line clearance from Duffy. Mak got through for a third time on 82, but this time his effort was high and wide of Turner’s goal. The Scot was testedfrom Deryck Boyata’s far-post header from a corner, palming it wide. Conor McAleny went closest to breaking the deadlock in injury time, but his curling effort was tipped over by City keeper Neilsen.

 Sunderland 2 - 0 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 14
Tuesday 6 April 2010
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Davies; Hibbert, Garbutt, Peterlin, Duffy, Senderos; Donegan (58' Mustafi), Akpan, Wallace; McAleny, Craig (82' Bidwell).
Subs not used: Roberts, Nsiala, Dobie.  Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards:

Philippe Senderos and Tony Hibbert both played a full 90 minutes as Everton Reserves went down to Sunderland. The first team duo have been absent from David Moyes’ side recently, as Hibbert made his first appearance in an Everton shirt since undergoing hernia surgery at the start of this year while Senderos returned after a hip problem.

But a first half strike from the Black Cats’ Micheal Liddle and a second from Oumare Tounkara secured victory for the hosts at Eppleton Colliery Welfare ground. Conor McAleny had a chance to open the scoring for Everton on nine minutes, but his strike bounced off the top of the crossbar and flew over. Sunderland went in front just after the half-hour mark as Nathan Luscombe’s inswinging corner found room for Liddle to volley in from the near post.

Everton started the second period brightly and called Sunderland keeper Martin Fulop into action a number of times, including a powerful drive from Hibbert and a strike from Shane Duffy. McAleny troubled Fulop once more but but Tounkara eventually secured the win for Sunderland 13 minutes from time as he latched on to substitute David Dowson’s long pass to tuck the ball home.

 Everton 0 - 0 Hull City

Reserves/U-21 Match No 15
Monday 12 April 2010
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Turner; Nsiala, Garbutt, Peterlin, Duffy; Mustafi, Donegan, Akpan; Wallace, Forshaw, Craig.
Subs not used: Davies, Bidwell, Dobie, Thompson, Murphy.  Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

It was a youthful but energetic side in action for the Blues at the Halton Stadium. The first shot of the night fell to the Tigers' Mark Cullen, who found space to fire an effort at Iain Turner but scuffed it wide of the left post. But the most impressive chance came for the Blues as an excellent ball from Nathan Craig found James Wallace who leaped to volley from close range, but hit it just over the cross bar.

Shane Duffy then rose to fire a header in from a free-kick on 25 minutes but his effort was easily collected by Hull keeper Mark Oxley. Tom Donegan shot at goal moments later after an excellent pass from Adam Forshaw set him through, but his low drive went straight to Oxley's hands once more.

The Blues called loudly for a penalty on the half hour mark after a hefty challenge on Forshaw but the referee was quick to dismiss the Toffees' appeal. Anton Peterlin tried an ambitious strike from long range after 34 minutes, sending the ball high over. Turner was then called into action at the over end as the Tigers struck from distance but the Scot collected confidently.

A flurry of Everton chances ensued from Craig's corner just before half-time - Duffy eventually headed at goal but the keeper scrambled to save and deny Andy Holden's men once again. The best chance of the game came right on the half-time whistle - Hull's Nathan Hanley fired a powerful drive at Turner who scrambled to clear with his legs. The rebound fell to Kamel Ghilas who hit the woodwork with a cracking volley, only for the offside flag raised before they eventually found the net. This didn't stop the visitors trying once more to break the deadlock before then end of the half though, but right-back Aristote Nsiala cleared off the line before the referee ended the half.

The second period yielded few opportunities for both sides until another Craig corner forced Oxley to punch out and the ball landed at the feet of Forshaw whose right-footed volley looked set to put the Blues ahead, but a goal line clearance from the Hull defence kept the tie goalless. Forshaw was the man to have Everton’s next chance four minutes from time as a crafty pass from Wallace set him up to strike, but frustratingly he was denied again by Oxley.

Hope Akpan then struck the side netting in a final attempt to steal three points for the Blues, but it ended goalless at Halton.

 Liverpool 0 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 16
Tuesday 20 April 2010
Prenton Park, Birkenhead

Everton: Turner; Nsiala, Garbutt, Wallace, Senderos, Duffy; Craig (Mustafi 65'), Akpan; Anichebe (Peterlin 62'), Baxter, Forshaw (McAleny 46').
Subs not used:
Davies, Donegan.  Scorers: Baxter
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards: � 

Liverpool’s second string turned in a battling display against an Everton side that contained several first-team players including Victor Anicebe. And it was another one, Jose Baxter, who condemned Liverpool to a fourth successive defeat.

The result means Liverpool’s outside hopes of being crowned Premier Reserve League North champions are over.

Last night’s winner came when Baxter’s stinging volley struck the underside of the crossbar and bounced over the line.

 Everton 1 - 2 Bolton Wanderers

Reserves/U-21 Match No 17
Monday 26 April 2010
Stobart Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Turner, Mustafi, Garbutt, Peterlin (66' McAleny), Duffy, Senderos (45' Nsiala), Forshaw, Akpan, Wallace, Baxter, Donegan.
Subs not used: Davies, Kinsella, Craig.  Scorers: Baxter
Yellow Cards:
�  Red Cards:

A goal from Bolton’s Michael O’Halloran and a Zoltan Harsanyi penalty just two minutes later cancelled out Jose Baxter’s 23rd-minute opener. Andy Holden included Philippe Senderos in his starting line-up, and he played 45 minutes as he attempted to step up his comeback from injury.

Baxter had the majority of Everton’s efforts on goal and scored following as mix-up between Trotters centre-back pair Chris Stokes and Stuart MacDonald. But that was as good as it got for the Blues.

 Blackburn Rovers 4 - 0 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 18
Thursday 29 April 2010
Leigh Sports Village, Blackburn

Everton: Davies; Garbutt, Nsiala, Duffy, Mustafi; Peterlin, Forshaw, Akpan; Donegan, Wallace, Baxter.
Subs not used: Roberts, Craig, McAleny, Dobie, Thompson  Scorers: None
Yellow Cards:
Garbutt, Baxter   Red Cards: � 

Everton Reserves ended their 2009-10 campaign with a crushing 4-0 defeat at Blackburn Rovers. Two goals for the hosts either side of the interval condemned Andy Holden's men to a disappointing result at Leigh Sports Village.

The Blues did find the net in the second half through James Wallace as he dribbled round Kean to slot home – only to be flagged offside. By that time the Blues were trailing 2-0 and a well placed free-kick provided the hosts with their third of the night. Rovers concluded their tally with five minutes remaining for their fourth.


  Bootle 2 - 4 Everton

Liverpool Senior Cup 2009-10, Quarter-Final
Monday 8 February 2010

Everton: Roberts, Cummins, Barnett (46' Garbutt), Murphy, McCarten, Akpan, Orenuga, Peterlin, Sheppard, Codling, Dobie.
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers:  Sheppard (pen), McCarten, Dobie, Codling
Yellow Cards: Name  Red Cards: �  Ref: Ref   Att: #

The Boole Bucks and the Blues of Everton revived a 117-year old rivalry last night... but even though more than a century has passed since these two derby day foes clashed, the outcome remained the same.

It was April, 25 1893 when Everton beat fierce city rivals Bootle 2-1 in the Liverpool Senior Cup final, the last recorded occasion these sides clashed. The hairstyles, the footwear and the venue might have changed since then, but not the eventual winners. Everton triumphed 4-2 in a quarter-final tie of exactly the same competition to reach the last four of the historic old tournament.

The Toffees took the lead through a Karl Sheppard penalty. But the home side hit back and equalised through Daniel O’Connor. Chris Tyson then put the non-leaguers ahead and dreaming of revenge. But just before half-time Everton centre-back James McCarten headed home the equaliser to set up the second half.

After half-time Everton were in the ascendancy. Luke Dobie restored the Blues’ lead with a deflected effort. Then striker Lewis Codling rounded off the win with Everton’s fourth goal.

  Skelmersdale United 2 - 0 Everton

Liverpool Senior Cup 2009-10, Semi-Final
Tuesday 16 March 2010
College Stadium, Skelmersdale

Everton: Roberts; Barrow, Bidwell, Mustafi, Murphy; Akpan, Orenuga , (51' Baxter), Peterlin (c); McAleny, Hope (60' Duffy), Dobie (66 Wallace)
Subs not used: Davies, Cummins,. Scorers:  None
Yellow Cards: —  Red Cards: Baxter  Ref: Ref   Att: #

A young Blues outfit took on Skelmersdale United for a place in the Liverpool Senior Cup final against Liverpool. But Neil Dewsnip's side were unable to overcome an older and more experienced side at College Stadium. A goal in each half from Skem condemned Everton to defeat, with Damien Eastham in the hosts' goal not tested throughout the 90 minutes as much as the Blues would have liked.

The opening exchanges were played out mostly in the Everton final third, but without much cause for concern. In fact, the first chance of any real note fell to Blues centre-forward, Conor McAleny, midway through the first half. Luke Dobie found the number nine on the edge of the penalty who took his chance first time, but his low right-footer was a few yards wide of the left-hand post. Just two minutes later though, the hosts went ahead.

John Cass received the ball in the inside-right channel, and was allowed time to pass inside to Kyle Armstrong. Armstrong's somewhat hopeful side-footed effort from 25 yards drifted over Connor Roberts, dipping just below the crossbar, for the opener. A brisk attack from the hosts nearly saw them doubling their advantage as Armstrong found himself through on goal, five minutes before the break. He raced onto a mis-cued clearance, but stumbled as he went to strike and although the ball went just past the far post, it was a gilt-edged chance.

Femi Orenuga then came mightily close to levelling on the brink of half-time - when he raced down the left-hand side. His direct run took him past the Skem defence on the outside and he whistled an effort with his left-foot past the far post - which the goalkeeper may even have got a fingertip to the effort.Skem's response was to come almost immediately after the restart, when substitute Ryan Wade acrobatically volleyed his side into a two-goal-lead, seemingly out of nothing.

The big-guns on the bench Jose Baxter, Shane Duffy and James Wallace - all with competitive first-team experience, - were brought into the fray by the hour-mark. Irish centre-back Duffy, was given a rare run-out up front, with Dewsnip asking the 6ft 2in defender to give more of the crucial goalscoring attribute he has showed this term. But Anton Peterlin's header over from Bidwell's left-wing cross was the closest they came to a reply.

The task got even harder with 10 minutes left, when Baxter was dismissed after a late challenge and the chance of an all-Merseyside final was gone.



<%Do while NOT oRs.EOF%> <%oRs.MoveNext%> <%Loop%>
Player Apps (Sub)
Adam Forshaw
16 (1)
Shane Duffy
16 (0)
Hope Akpan
15 (2)
Jose Baxter
15 (0)
James Wallace
14 (0)
Shkodran Mustafi
11 (2)
Nathan Craig
11 (0)
Anton Peterlin
10 (4)
Aristote Nsiala
10 (1)
Iain Turner
10 (0)
Jake Bidwell
9 (2)
Luke Garbutt
8 (1)
Kieran Agard
8 (0)
Thomas Donegan
5 (4)
Seamus Coleman
5 (0)
Adam Davies
5 (0)
Conor McAleny
4 (6)
James McCarten
4 (1)
Dan Gosling
4 (0)
Carlo Nash
3 (0)
Philippe Senderos
3 (0)
Cory Arnoux
2 (5)
Zac Thompson
2 (1)
James Vaughan
2 (0)
Ayegbeni Yakubu
2 (0)
Tony Hibbert
1 (0)
Lucas Neill
1 (0)
Victor Anichebe
1 (0)
Moses Barnett
1 (0)
Lewis Codling
0 (2)

  Reserves Players from this season (2009-10) who moved on in the summer of 2010 include:

Lukas Jutkiewicz Unwanted young hitman goes to Coventry City (26 Jul)
Carlo Nash Veteran 'keeper back from Oz tour to join Stoke City (10 Jul)
John Ruddy Spent last season at Motherwell; joined Norwich City (1 Jul)
Dan Gosling Finds contract loophole; leaves as free agent (30 Jun)
Cody Arnoux American unknown released after one-year contract (30 Jun)
Anton Peterlin US medical student released after one-year contract (30 Jun)
Philippe Senderos Swiss defender on loan from Arsenal joined Fulham (8 Jun)
James McCarten Loaned to Accrington in March; Released (June)
Lewis Codling Joined Aberystwyth after being relased (___)
Moses Barnett Arsenal reject from 2007 finally released (__ )
Zac Thompson Joined Leeds Unites after being released

 FRIENDLIES, 2009-10

 Airbus  UK 2 - 3 Everton

Reserves Friendly #1
Saturday 18 July 2009
The Airfield, Broughton

Everton::   Ruddy, Thompson, Garbutt, Mustafi, McCarten, Forshaw, Akpan, Peterlin, Craig, Agard, Jutkiewicz
Subs not used: N/A.  Scorers: Agard 2, Forshaw
Yellow Cards: �  Red Cards: �  Att:

Two goals from striker Kieran Agard and another from midfielder Adam Forshaw were enough to see off the Welsh Premier League side. The game also saw newboys Anton Peterlin and Shkodran Mustafi make their second appearances for the Club.

The hosts took the lead from the penalty spot early on after midfielder Zac Thompson fouled but the Blues responded almost immediately, Agard beating the keeper with a cool finish. That's how it stayed until the break but Everton re-emerged for the second period the brighter.

Agard converted a Lukas Jutkiewicz cross to make it two before Adam Forshaw burst through the middle to slot home. Airbus hit back to reduce the deficit late on but Andy Holden's side held on to mark the start of their season with a morale-boosting victory.

 Southport 0 - 1 Everton  

Reserves Friendly #2
Saturday  25 July 2009
Haig Avenue, Southport

Everton: Turner, Thompson (55' Mustafi), Garbutt, Peterlin (60' Lawrie), McGarten, Duffy, Forshaw, Akpan, Jutkiewicz, Agard, Craig (83' Codling).
Subs not used: N/A   Scorers: Craig
Yellow Cards: Red Cards: Ref: Att: #

In a somewhat low key pre-season outing for both sides, Craig beat Chris Lever to the ball to steer in Lukas Jutkiewicz deflected centre in what proved one of few chances the Blues would produce.

Southport created the first clear cut chance of the half and mounted an early assault on the Everton goal - but did so having survived a scare. Chris Lever was needed to put in a last ditch tackle six yards out to deny Lukas Jutkiewicz a clear sight of Tony McMillan's goal after five minutes, but from the loose ball, Port broke with speed.

For the Blues, Adam Forshaw made a lively opening to the contest, using his neat footwork to give the home backline constant threat, he flashed a shot marginally wide of the Sandgrounders' goal on 20 minutes. And, perhaps against the run of play, Everton took the lead when Nathan Craig stole in at the back post to fire in from Jutkiewicz's deflected cross after 23 minutes.

Following the opening goal, both sides tightened up at the back, goalscoring chances were thus limited but nonetheless the game remained competitive and well fought. The second half remained in similar fashion as to how the first 45 ended, high on effort but low on incident, though Craig's 56th minute volley whistled past McMillan's post in a rare attempt on goal.