Skip to Main Content
Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Everton Reserves, 1999-2000

A detailed record of Everton's Reserve/U-21 Team performances
in the new FA Reserve Premier League (Northern Section)

[ History of Everton Reserves ]


Results A record of Everton's reserve matches for the season
League Table  The latest standings in the FA Premier Reserve League
Match Details  Teamsheets and brief reports for each match
Appearances  A table of reserve appearances for all senior players
Friendlies Results from reserve-level friendly matches


The inaugural season of the FA Premier Reserve League (Northern Section) reflects the northern teams in the Premiership, with the addition of Bolton Wanderers.


     Date    Ven Opponents           Result  Pos   Scorers                             

August 1999 

     Mon 16  (a) Newcastle United    W 3-0   1st   Cadamarteri 2, Jevons
     Tue 31  (h) Bradford City       D 2-2   2nd   Branch, Milligan


     Tue  7  (h) Blackburn Rovers    W 1-0   2nd   Jevons
     Tue 28  (h) Bolton Wanderers    W 6-2   2nd   Farrelly, Branch 2 (1 pen), 
                                                   Johnson, Regan, McLeod


     Mon  4  (a) Sunderland          L 1-3   2nd   Branch
     Sat  9  (h) Liverpool           L 0-2   3rd   
     Tue 19  (h) Leeds United        D 3-3   6th   Cadamarteri, Johnson, Jevons

November 1999

     Mon  1  (a) Barnsley            W 4-2   5th   Johnson 2, Milligan, Cadamarteri
     Mon  8  (a) Tranmere Rovers     L 0-0   LSC   Everton lose 2-3 on penalties (aet)
     Sat 13  (a) Manchester United   L 2-4   7th   Osman, Branch
     Tue 23  (h) Middlesbrough       L 0-1   8th   

January 2000

     Mon 17  (a) Bradford City       L 2-3  10th   Moore, Milligan
     Tue 25  (h) Manchester United   W 2-1   8th   Jevons 2


     Tue  8  (h) Barnsley            D 1-1   9th   Howarth
     Tue 15  (h) Aston Villa         D 1-1  10th   Osman
     Wed 23  (a) Middlesbrough       D 1-1  10th   Howarth (pen)


     Tue  7  (h) Sheffield Wednesday W 4-2   8th   Osman, Jevons 2, Cadamarteri
     Tue 14  (h) Sunderland          L 0-1   9th   
     Wed 22  (a) Aston Villa         D 1-1   9th   Dunne
     Wed 29  (a) Bolton Wanderers    D 1-1   9th   Osman


     Tue 11  (a) Leeds United        D 1-1   9th   Osman
     Tue 18  (h) Newcastle United    D 1-1   9th   Howarth

May 2000

     Wed  3  (a) Blackburn Rovers    W 4-1   8th   Jeffers 2, Milligan, Jevons
     Wed 10  (a) Sheffield Wednesday L 1-4   9th   Milligan
     Mon 15  (a) Liverpool           D 2-2   9th   Jeffers, Jevons
Home games are played at the AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes.


 Friendlies and Other Reserve-Team Matches

Pre-Season Friendlies, 1999
     Day  Date   Ven Opponents           Result  Scorers                              
     Sun  31 Jul (a) Bamber Bridge       W 4-3   McLeod 2, Oster, Pilkington
     Mon   2 Aug (a) Burscough           W 5-2   Branch 2, Milligan, Oster 2
     Wed  12 Aug (*) Tranmere Rovers     W 1-0   Jevons
* Training match at Bellefield (behind closed doors)



Club                   P   W   D   L   GF   GA  Pts  
Liverpool             24  16   7   1   55   18   55 
Sunderland            24  12   5   7   35   27   41 
Blackburn Rovers      24  11   6   7   37   26   39 
Bradford City         24  12   3   9   44   45   39 
Newcastle United      24  11   4   9   37   35   37 
Manchester United     24  11   3  10   46   32   36 
Leeds United          24  10   6   8   48   38   36 
Middlesbrough         24  10   6   8   34   33   36 
Everton               24   7  10   7   44   40   31 
Aston Villa           24   8   5  11   37   42   29 
Bolton Wanderers      24   6   4  14   22   59   22 
Sheffield Wednesday   24   5   4  15   35   52   19 
Barnsley              24   3   5  16   22   48   14 



The section below contains team details, scorers, and brief match reports for all Everton Reserve/U-21 matches during the 1999-2000 Season.


 Newcastle United 0 - 3 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 1
Monday 16 August 1999
Kingston Park, Newcastle

Everton: Simonsen, Cleland, Phelan, O'Kane, Farley, Pembridge, Grant, Farrelly {Capt} (84' Milligan), Cadamarteri, Jevons, Ball.
Subs not used: Delaney, Regan, O'Hanlon, Southern. Scorers: Cadamarteri (15', 21), Jevons (80') 

Steve Milne: Our first reserve team away game this season in the new FA Premier Reserve League, Northern Section, was our longest distance to travel. Upon arriving at Newcastle, I could see the dark clouds over St James' Park. When I left, they were even darker.

Watched closely by Walter Smith, Archie Knox, Dave Watson and the recently transferred John Oster, who had stopped by to watch his old team mates, Everton today played in a 4-4-2 formation with Phelan and Cleland at left and right back; O'Kane and Farrelly as centre-backs; in midfield: Ball, Pembridge, Farrelly and Grant. and up front, Jevons and Cadamarteri.

Everton stole a 3-0 victory over a more dominant Newcastle side who had control of the game in the first half, despite a number of wasted chances. Everton on the other hand, finished off what few chances they had. After 15 mins, Cadamarteri  who was Everton's' best player of the night nipped in to a ball that was being played on from one defender to another on the edge of the Newcastle box, and he calmly slotted the ball past their keeper.

Everton's' second goal was scored some 6 mins later. This time, the provider was Pembridge who had his first full 90 mins in a blue shirt. He laid the ball through midfield; Cadamarteri, 20 yds out, used his pace to leave the defence standing and rocketed the resulting shot through the keeper's legs. In the 30th min, Pembridge and Ball linked up well with Ball's final shot being well saved by the keeper.

Half time: Newcastle United 0 - 2 Everton

The second half started with no substitutions, but Ball and Phelan switched positions.  Almost instantly, Phelan shot a 20-yd volley over the bar. Cadamarteri had a couple of chances for his hat trick. One went into the side netting and the other, on a through ball from Jevons, went just past the post.

In the 80th min, Jevons's hard work was rewarded with a goal, although all the work leading up to it came from Cadamarteri. He ran through the midfield holding off two or three defenders and after having his shot blocked by the keeper, Jevons picked it up 18 yds out with a shot that couldn't be stopped.

The Blues played better football in the second half. Newcastle once again, could not finish off the chances that they created. O'Kane was booked for a foul in the 83rd minute.

 Everton 2 - 2 Bradford City

Reserves/U-21 Match No 2
31 August 1999
Auto Quest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Phelan, O'Kane (84' Clarke), Cleland, Grant (92' Sent Off!), Gemmill, Farrelly (73' McLeod), Branch (32' Milligan), Cadamarteri, Jevons.
Subs not used: Delaney, Osman. Scorers: Branch (14'), Milligan (45')
Yellow Cards:
[Grant (14', 92')], Regan (61'), Cadamarteri (92'). Red Cards: Grant (92')
Attendance: 1,521

Steve Milne: Everton's first home reserve-team game (I use the the words "home game" loosely)  involved 4 players wearing blue shirts quite possibly for the last time, with a large number of club scouts and managers in attendance.

The night started with a bit of a mix up, with tickets for the game against Blackburn next week, being handed out tonight as we went in (enough said)!!

The Blues lined up 4-4-2, with the usual reserve plan of attack: Cadamarteri and Branch up front. For some unknown reason, young Phil Jevons played on the right wing. Even when Branchy went off in the 32nd minute, and was replaced by Milligan, Jevons didn't switch to an attacking role.

Our first goal of the night came off Farrelly's through ball from midfield, which found Cadamarteri on the edge of the box. Danny took on a defender or two. The Bradford keeper drove him wide while Branch ran into the box. Danny unselfishly laid off the ball to let Branchy fire the ball at the underside of the bar from 6 yds out, before it landed in the back of the net.

Everton let Bradford back into the game when Cleland, who was playing centre-half, brought down the speedy Gareth Grant of Bradford in the box. A clear penalty. Up stepped Robbie Blake to convert the penalty past a helpless Simonsen and make the score 1-1.

The Blues once again took the lead some 10 minutes later. The move started this time with the very classy Scot Gemmill, who in turn found Jevons with a 30-yd cross-field pass. Jevons on the right wing fired in a hard low cross which Milligan side-footed into the net.

Half time: Everton 2 - 1 Bradford City 

Bradford were by far the stronger side in the second half and proved so by equalising in the 56th minute. John O'Kane made a defensive error which was intercepted by Robbie Blake, who danced through unchallenged and hit a superb shot past a stationary Simonsen.

Everton did have a couple of chances, namely Cadamarteri, who had a couple of one on ones with the keeper and was foiled on both occasions. The first team's current disciplinary record was imitated tonight in the 92nd minute when Grant was given his second yellow card of the night for stamping, or so the referee intimated.

The playing surface tonight was not the best surface or condition in which to play, namely due to the bright green rugby markings that were still evident. The smooth run of play, that is normally seen at Goodison Park, was hindered somewhat by a bumpy surface. Heaven only knows what it will be like when the winter kicks in and going by the phone-ins on BBC Radio Merseyside, the general consensus of opinion is that the games should revert to Goodison Park and not for the sole reason of the playing surface.

Overall, on the plus side for Walter Smith, Simonsen apart from picking the ball out of the net twice, had an excellent game. Cleland although playing as centre half, showed class. Gemmill, was in my opinion, Everton's Man of the Match tonight, showing his ability and control in midfield.

The minus factors Michael Branch went off injured after half an hour, clutching his hamstring. Thankfully for the player, it was just a touch of cramp.

 Everton 1 - 0 Blackburn Rovers

Reserves/U-21 Match No 3
Tuesday 7 September 1999
Auto Quest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, O'Kane, Cleland, Clarke, Degn, Southern (60' Farrelly), Hibbert, Jevons, Milligan (73' Howarth), McLeod.
Subs not used: O'Hanlon, Farley, Delaney. Scorer: Jevons.
Yellow cards:
Milligan (30'), Degn (82')

Steve Milne: 1,400 Evertonians gathered on a warm summer's September evening to watch Everton reserves play host to Blackburn for the second home game of the season. Farrelly could only command a place on the subs bench and Degn, who should have been playing for the Danish U-21 side in Italy but was sent home prematurely, found himself instead, playing in a blue shirt.

The first 45 minutes of football was not the best I have seen. Everton were restricted to just 3 chances. The first came after 7 minutes young McLeod, who ran non-stop for the entire game, found Degn in the 6-yd box with a nice pass. Degn, who didn't realise just how much time he had, rushed his shot and it went well over the bar.

The next chance came from O'Kane on 22 minutes. He found himself with the ball 10 yds out, where he tried to chip the keeper but failed, the ball going just over the bar. Five minutes later, we had the most bizarre moment of the game Blackburn's Northern Ireland international keeper, Fettis, tried to clear the ball, which hit Milligan and had the keeper scrambling back to gather the ball under his cross bar!

Half time: Everton 0 - 0 Blackburn Rovers

Jevons, scored Everton's only goal 4 minutes into the second half after some nifty work in midfield. Milligan on the right-hand side of the box laid the ball back to Jevons who hit an unstoppable shot past the keeper. Blackburn however, straight from the restart, found the Everton penalty area. Regan pushed one of the Blackburn attackers for a clear penalty. Up stepped one of Blackburn's first teamers, Blake, whose resulting penalty strike hit the crossbar with some force.

Cleland with Richard Dunne's, suspension looming played some class football tonight under the watchful eye of Walter Smith and must surely be a contender to fill the right-back position in the first team.

Not the best game this season so far, but a win at the AutoQuest is a rare treat. 

 Everton 6 - 2 Bolton Wanderers

Reserves/U-21 Match No 4
Tuesday 28 September 1999
Auto Quest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Pilkington, O'Kane, Clarke, Degn, Jevons, Farrelly {Capt}, Branch, Johnson, Milligan (72' McLeod)
Subs not used: Delaney, Farley, Southern, Howarth. Scorers: Farrelly (26'), Branch (30', pen:48'), Johnson (53'), Regan (74'), McLeod (83'). Yellow Cards: Farrelly (56').

Steve Milne: The night after the first team's wonderful performance, it took a reality check on a cold night in Widnes. The new boy on loan, Tommy Johnson, made his debut in a blue shirt, alongside Branch returning from injury. The Blues as always lined up 4-4-2 with the attacking duo full of running during the first 45 mins.The new boy Johnson, feeling the pace, obviously not match fit, but he had shown a few nice touches.

Bolton however, went 1-0 up after 12 mins with their first attack of the game. 18 yds out, their central defender, Nolan, hit an unstoppable shot which went in off the underside of the crossbar. Almost instantly, Branch unmarked in the 6 yd box fluffed his shot from an excellent pass by Jevons. Four mins later, the hard working Branch had another chance, this time off a throughball from Degn. Branch had the time to take on the keeper, but instead opted for a first-time shot which went into the side netting. He really should have scored.

Everton's equalising goal came in the 26th min. This time Branch being the provider, ran the full 20-30 yds down the left wing, cut into the box and laid the ball into the path of the oncoming Farrelly, who blasted his shot into the net. Three mins later, after plenty of hard work, Branch finally got his name on the score sheet. Johnson was the provider, with an excellent ball from midfield. Branch took the ball into the 18-yd box and, as the keeper advanced, he took his chance and chipped over him.

Simonsen was nowhere to be seen in the 34th min, when a right-sided cross came into the box for Bolton's Potter to head into the back of the net.  A minute later, Branch had a shot saved by the keeper who pushed it round the post.

Half-time: Everton 2 - 2 Bolton Wanderers

The second half started with a heavy downpour of rain, and a penalty to Everton when Carl Regan's centre was handled by one of the Bolton defenders. Up stepped Branch, after some discussion with Farrelly on who should take the penalty, and converted it quite comfortably.

Johnson scored his first goal in a blue shirt in the 53rd minute it came from a move involving Regan whose cross from the right wing found Branch and he in turn found Johnson with a well executed flick to the back post. From a tight angle, the Celtic loan-boy scored a scorcher.

Everton's fifth goal was scored by Regan with a left-foot shot, after Johnson's shot was palmed down by the Bolton keeper. Regan picked up the rebound gleefully, and finished extremely well. Our 6th and final goal of the evening, came from the U-19 starlet, McLeod, off a well-taken Jevons corner.  McLeod, unmarked, headed home.

Everton created a couple more chances in the second half, the best coming from Jevons who hit a first time volley just wide of the post from a Milligan cross. Bolton, however, did not give Simonsen much to do all evening. In fact, they ended up with 10 men when Morrison was shown a second yellow card in the 86th min.

On the Everton bad boy side, Farrelly found his name in the referees book for dissent in the 56th min. All-in-all, the Everton reserve team played some nice football and with a crowd of a couple of hundred were surely well pleased with the result.

 Sunderland 3 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 5
Monday 4 October 1999
New Ferens Park, Durham

Everton: Simonsen, O'Kane, Regan, Clarke, O'Hanlon, Degn, Cadamarteri (67' McLeod), Farrelly, Branch, Johnson, Jevons.
Subs not used: Delaney, Osman, Southern, Farley, Milligan. Scorers: Branch (90'). Att 1,755
Yellow Cards: Farrelly (42'), O'Kane (55') Degn (60').

Steve Milne Everton's 3rd trip to the frozen north east this season was to New Ferens Park, Durham to take on the league leaders Sunderland who ended Everton unbeaten run. All the fringe players were out once again to impress Walter Smith, or the watching scouts of which there were many. One of Everton's former heroes now a scout for Sunderland was casting his eye over the game: Andy King.

First Half

Everton lined up with Branch & Johnson up front, in a 4-4-2 formation. The game started very slowly, Farrelly giving the away the ball in Sunderland's half; Dichio should have scored on the break with the defence nowhere.

Two mins later Sunderland had three shots at the Everton goal: Lumsdon hit the post with the 3rd, and we knew that this was not to be our night. Sunderland's Reddy had a great overhead kick saved by the very busy Simonsen, but the resulting corner found Dichio unmarked in the box, so 18 mins into the game, we found ourselves 1-0 down.

The blues had the first real chance after 25 mins involving Degn who found Branch on the edge of the box; however he was unable to control the ball. Three mins later Jevons had a shot, that drifted well wide. On 32 mins we were 2-0 down: the defence stood still as Reddy ran rings round them, Dichio finished from close range for his 2nd of the night.

Everton where under the cosh the whole 45 mins. The only time we had a chance was Farrelly from 20 yds out who hit his shot well over the bar, this in the 44 min having just been booked for a foul.

Half Time: Sunderland 2 - 0 Everton

It started where the first left off, Sunderland in control so much so it took Everton 8 mins to even have an off-target chance. A couple of Everton players found themselves in the book, 55 mins O'Kane foul; 60 mins Degn foul.

Everton had only 4 chances in the second half: Degn had a free kick well saved by the keeper; Farrelly had a shot that came from a corner; Degn a long range shot well over the bar; and Johnson hit the post from a Branch cross. The Sunderland went 3-0 up with a Regan own-goal from Fredgaard's shot/cross.

However on 90 mins the blues scored the only Everton goal, a breakaway with Branch one-on-one, as the keeper came out. He placed the shot under the keeper well taken!  All in all, Sunderland where the stronger side, Everton where never at the races.

  • Simonsen 5  No major errors
  • O'Kane 4  A little bit out of his depth tonight
  • Regan 4  Out-classed
  • Clarke 5  Useful learning curve
  • O'Hanlon 5  Useful learning curve
  • Degn 3  Could not find a blue shirt all night with his passing
  • Cadamarteri 6  Worked hard little end product
  • Farrelly 7  Worked hard at least found a blue shirt with his passing
  • Branch 6  Had a couple of one 2 one runs
  • Johnson 6  Plenty of effort starved of service
  • Jevons 6  Ran well at the Sunderland defence

 Everton 0 - 2 Liverpool

Reserves/U-21 Match No 6
Saturday 9 October 1999
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Cleland, Phelan, O'Hanlon, Clarke, Ward, Jevons, Farrelly, Branch (60' Osman), Johnson, McLeod (60' Milligan).
Subs not used: Farley, Regan, Southern. Scorers: None.  Attendance: 5,218

Steve Milne For the first time ever, Channel One, a local cable channel, did a tape-delay recording of Everton's reserve match. Those of you who live in the Merseyside area can watch Everton under-perform. With Degn in the Danish U-21 side, and Ball in the England U21 party, Everton's reserve team's already thin squad was bolstered with the return from injury of Phelan and Ward. On the other side, Liverpool today fielded seven players with Premier League experience and proved to be the stronger of the two sides.

Everton started well. Branch, in particular, having three clear-cut chances in the first 10 minutes. Working on the left side, the attacking duo of Branch and Johnson (whose fitness leaves a lot to be desired), had their first chance after three minutes, the second two minutes later; the third and best effort was an 18-yd shot that just skimmed past the post.

Johnson had a weak shot on 18 minutes saved by the keeper after McLeod's hard work on the right wing and resulting cross. After the half-our mark, Liverpool had weathered the early onslaught from Blues and began to take control of the game. Liverpool's Murphy, having been put through from midfield and beating the Everton offside trap, had a one-on-one with Simonsen, who pounced on the ball at Murphy's feet. Four minutes later, with a move once again involving Murphy, Liverpool's Meijer, put them 1-0 up. The remainder of the first half was dominated by Liverpool, with a few excellent saves from Simonsen (Everton's' Man of the Match, despite the score).

Half time: Everton 0 - 1 Liverpool

The second half started where the first half left off, with Simonsen making save after save. Everton did have a few chances. McLeod's cross in the 58th minute found the head of Johnson and it went just over the bar. We had a double substitution in the 60th minute, Milligan on for McLeod and Osman on for the limping Branch. Within the first five minutes of Milligan coming on, he had half a chance but his control was sadly lacking.

Farrelly took it upon himself to try and recreate his Coventry goal, having a couple of 20-yd shots in the 68th and 71st minutes, but he must have changed his opticians since then... Liverpool's' second goal came in the 70th minute when the young England star, Clarke was beaten on one of his rare occasions, in the air for Meijer's second goal of the day. In the last 10 minutes, The Blues had a couple of chances from on-loan striker Johnson, who had a shot and a speculative chip go well wide. All in all, the Blues lacked the style and panache that they have possessed during their last few games. It hurts me to say this but we weren't at the races today!

  • Simonsen - 8 - Everton's' best player he played extremely well, made some fantastic saves, keeping the score line down to 2-0 was mainly down to him
  • Cleland - 6 - Was under pressure from the start
  • Phelan - 6 - First game back from yet another injury, but rusty
  • O'Hanlon - 6 - Centre half in the making, will have learned a lot from todays' game
  • Clarke - 6 - Today's game, apart from the one mistake, will have increased his experience
  • Ward - 5 - Another player back from injury, bit more than rusty
  • Jevons - 5 - Played out of position for most of the game, only came to life when Branch went off and his true potential shone through as he reverted back to his regular position
  • Farrelly - 6 - Worked hard
  • Branch - 6 - Played well for the first 20 mins and then fizzled out; this may be due to injury
  • Johnson - 4 - Obviously not match fit (surely not the man to face Arsenal next week!)
  • McLeod - 3 - Everton's rising starlet had an off day

 Everton 3 - 3 Leeds United

Reserves/U-21 Match No 7
Tuesday 19 October 1999
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, O'Kane, Phelan, Clarke, Cleland, Degn (15' McLeod), Jevons, Farrelly, Johnson (46' Southern), Cadamarteri, Milligan.
Subs not used: Delaney, Regan, Farley. Scorers: Cadamarteri, Johnson, Jevons. Att: 906
Yellow Cards: Degn (9'), 

Steve Milne  On a freezing cold night, in wonderful Widnes, Everton were held to a 3-3 draw by a fairly strong Leeds side, of which the 5M+ Duberry was regaining his fitness.

Everton started brightly, Farrelly almost from kick-off found himself unmarked in the box and for no reason whatsoever, blasted the ball wide! Cadamarteri, 2 mins later, picked up a poor back pass and used his strength to ride off a couple of Leeds defenders and score one of the easiest goals that he will be gifted with this season.

Within a minute, and straight from the restart, Cleland inexplicably hit a back pass/chip to Simonsen from a full 20yds away. Simonsen had to save with his hands to prevent an almost certain goal. The referee quite rightly, gave Leeds the free kick and the Everton wall on the goal line could not stop Leeds's Jackson from blasting the equaliser.

In the 9th minute, Degn found his name in the referee's notebook for a dreadful foul. 5 mins later, on loan striker Johnson (who is still far from being 100% match-fit) had a shot pulled wide of the goal. In the 15th minute, Everton made a forced substitution of Degn, who took a knock, being replaced by U-19 "star", Kevin McLeod.

Everton regained the lead in the 24th minute, Jevons being the provider with a nice ball from midfield that found Johnson whose first shot was well parried by the keeper. Johnson took the rebound and scored. Two mins later, Cadamarteri had the ball in the back of the net for what we all thought was Everton's third goal, but the linesman ruled otherwise. A minute before half-time the Everton defense was caught square and 15 yds out, Leeds centre forward Farrell, equalised.

Half-time: Everton 2 - 2 Leeds United

The second half began with a substitution. On came Southern, off went Johnson (does this mean we may see him take to the Goodison Park pitch on Sunday?). This meant a reshuffle upfront with Cadamarteri and Jevons becoming the striking pair, although it took 10 mins for Everton to even have a shot on goal. However, in the 66th minute, Farrell once again walked through the Blues defense unchallenged and hit a fierce shot. Simonsen half blocked it but the force of the shot sent the ball over the line.

Within a minute, McLeod who tonight rediscovered his U-19 crossing skills (sadly lacking at recent reserve team games) found Jevons with a brilliant ball. Jevons rose with perfect timing at the back of the 6-yd area, to head the ball home and level the score.

McLeod had the move of the game 10 mins later, taking on and beating 3 players, then placing the resulting shot which, sadly for him, crept past the post. 10 mins before the end, Everton's Man of the Match, Cadamarteri, should really have scored the winner. A deep run from midfield, unchallenged, he found himself in the box. As the keeper came out, he shot and the keeper pushed the ball onto the post but there were no blue shirts to follow up.

Milligan found himself in the referees' notebook for a bit of a fracas, in the 82nd minute. The remainder of the game left a lot to be desired.

  • Simonsen - 7 - Apart from picking the ball out of the net 3 times, didn't go far wrong
  • O'Kane - 5 - Could do better
  • Phelan - 6 - Back on the road to fitness
  • Clarke - 7 - Made only one mistake all evening
  • Cleland - 6 - Played out of position at centre half
  • Degn - 2 - Only played a third of the game, what can I say?
  • Jevons - 7 - Really needs to go on loan for him to improve
  • Farrelly - 7 - Obviously out to show that he is a grafter to any watching scouts or managers
  • Johnson - 5 - Played half a game, still not match fit
  • Cadamarteri - 8 - Man of the Match, a lot more livelier than usual
  • Milligan - 6 - Like Jevons, needs to go on loan to gain more experience
  • Southern - 6 - Played half a game, which he couldn't quite get into
  • McLeod - 7 - Played two thirds of a game, more like his U-19 self

 Barnsley 2 - 4 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 8
Monday 1 November 1999
Oakwell, Barnsley

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, O'Kane, Clarke, Farley, Ward (capt), Jevons, Farrelly, Johnson, Cadamarteri, Milligan.
Subs not used: McLeod, Delaney, Knowles, Hibbert, Howarth. Scorers: Johnson 2, Milligan, Cadamarteri.
Yellow Cards:
Ward (30'), Regan (81')

Steve Milne  On a perfect night for football, Mitch Ward played possibly his last game in an Everton shirt. Walter Smith did not risk Thomas Myhre who is almost back to full fitness.

Playing for Barnsley was one of Everton former stalwarts Kevin Richardson who, in his time at Goodison won both the 1984 FA Cup Winners medal, and 1984/85 League championship winners medal.

Everton lined up in 4-4-2 with Cadamarteri and Johnson up front, but it was Jevons who had the first chance in the 4th min, from a Ward free kick, headed just over the bar. Two mins later the blues where 1-0 up with Johnson picking up a long ball from the Everton defence; all the Barnsley back four were looking for the offside flag but he saw the keeper off his line and hit a 30-yd lob over the keeper's head.

Everton had chances from Jevons on 13 min, from a corner a volley just over the bar; Johnson had three chances, the best came in the 22nd min when he again found himself in the open with no offside flag, only this time, the keeper made the save.

Barnsley then found themselves on the attack, were they had two chances scored two goals. On 31 mins, with the Everton defence nowhere as the cross came over, the Barnsley centre-forward mis-cued his shot, and the ball fell to Hristov's head who put it past a helpless Simonsen. Then, in the 43rd min, Hristov scored a rather soft goal: a long ball came from midfield, he beat both the centre-backs, and just back headed the ball into the net.

Half time: Barnsley 2 - 1 Everton

During the half time cup of tea it was nice to have a chat to Ian Snodin & Kevin Sheedy who where here looking at players.

With the start of the second half, Everton had the ball in the side netting within a minute, again Johnson the culprit. Barnsley had a couple of chances, one of them was a comedy of errors, but the ball somehow stayed out of the net. The Blues regained the upper hand on the hour mark when Johnson scored his second of the night. The goal involved 10 Everton players a real joy to watch! The ball ended up in the path of Johnson who placed his shot in the corner from 14 yds out.

Milligan found his form tonight; he looked like the Milligan of old. He had a few chances, and was rewarded with a goal in the 85th minute a shot from 20yds out; the keeper had no chance: 3-2

In the last 5 mins Farrelly hit the bar with a header (yes, a header!) and Cadamarteri scored a goal. A ball from Jevons found Cadamarteri who beat a couple of defenders to hit a low shot past the keeper.

On the whole the game was entertaining, Everton played the better football and a win is always nice. 

 Tranmere Rovers 0 - 0 Everton  (aet: 3-2 on penalties

Liverpool Senior Cup Quarter-Final
Monday 8 November 1999
Prenton Park, Birkenhead

Everton: Myhre, Regan, Pilkington, Clarke, Farley, Osman, Southern (Capt), Howarth (72' Dempsey), Jevons, Milligan, McLeod.  [Link to Daily Post Match Report]
Subs not used: Delaney, Hogg. Scorers: None. Ref: Mr A McGee. Attendance: 623

Steve Milne Tonight was the 25th time that we have met Tranmere in this competition and ,of late, Everton have fielded a reserve strength team. Tonight however, the reserves took a back seat and Everton's youngsters took over. Apart from one Tommy Myhre made his comeback in his first competitive game since Southampton away, last season.

It took Everton a full 18 mins to even get near Tranmere's box, Milligan and Jevons linking up for a couple of 1-2 passes. In the 22nd min, Osman crossed the ball, found Jevons's head who in turn found the keeper. Jevons again had half a chance 5 mins later, with another header, only this time he headed it down, and it bounced over the bar.

In the final 20 mins of the half, Howarth had a shot easily saved by the keeper, as did Milligan just before half time. In fact, in the first half, Everton were the better side, believe it or not, and Tranmere did not trouble Myhre in any way, shape or form.

Half time: Tranmere Rovers 0 - 0 Everton

Tranmere started the second half better, having a couple of chances in the first 5 mins, but Everton's back four remained solid. Southern had a chance on the hour with a header. Jevons, 10 mins later, had a couple more half chances, 2 of these within a minute.

Colin Harvey and Andy Holden made a substitution in the 72nd min. Off came Howarth and on went Dempsey. Everton's best chance in the regular 90 mins of football came from Jevons: a long ball from midfield found Jevons on the edge of the box. If only he had of found the target, we would not have had to go through 30 mins of extra time.

Full time: Tranmere Rovers 0 - 0 Everton

Extra time came and went with only one thing happening in the whole 30 mins. Dempsey on 23 mins, was pulled down in the box and the referee gave a penalty. Up stepped the normally reliable, super Jevons. Only this time, he was thwarted by the keeper. On to penalties....

In all the years I have been following Everton at all levels, I have to say I have never seen us win a penalty shoot-out. Tonight was no exception:

  • Milligan - scored
  • Southern - keeper saved
  • Jevons - keeper saved again
  • Osman - scored
  • Dempsey - keeper saved yet again

Tranmere 3 - 2 Everton; and we are out of the Liverpool Senior Cup.

 Manchester United 4 - 2 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 9
Saturday 13 November 1999
Gigg Lane, Bury

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, O'Kane, Clarke, Farley, Osman, Degn (80' Southern), Milligan, Branch, Howarth (80' Dempsey), McLeod.
Subs not used: Delaney, Knowles, O'Hanlon. Scorers: Osman, Branch. Ref: J Hubbard.
Yellow Cards: O'Kane (43'), Clarke (83').

Steve Milne Saturday morning at 11am is a strange time for a reserve team game, but when most of England have their minds elsewhere in the afternoon, it makes sense.

The Blues fielded a fairly young side with most of the first team still enjoying a little break north of the border. Clarke and McLeod still euphoric over their first team debuts, against Kilmarnock on Thursday, are this morning back in familiar surroundings.

Somehow today, Everton lost 4-2, with United doing all their damage in the last 27 mins of the game. Osman put us up 1-0 after 23 mins on an excellent pass from Howarth. This split the United defence and Howarth with his left foot gave the keeper no chance. We only had two more chances. One from Branch and the other from Everton's' Man of the Match, Howarth.

Half-time: Man Utd 0 - Everton 1

Within a couple of minutes of the restart Everton were further ahead. Howarth, again splitting the Utd defence with a diagonal pass, found Branch, who hit a powerful shot 18 yds out with the keeper again, nowhere to be seen. Then in the 63rd min, United seemed to find their missing gear. A hat-trick from Healy, and a fourth from Greening, sunk the Blues. Andy Holden tried to change the format in the 80th min, bringing on Dempsey for Howarth and Southern for Degn, but this sadly, did not change the outcome.

 Everton 0 - 1 Middlesbrough

Reserves/U-21 Match No 10: Tuesday 23 November 1999
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Ball, Clarke, Knowles, Grant (capt), Degn (81' McLeod), Gemmill (12' Osman), Jevons, Howarth, Milligan.
Subs not used: Farley, Southern, Delaney. Scorers: None. Att: 1,069 Ref: G Shaw
Yellow Cards:
Clarke (44'), Degn (80')

Steve Milne  Well then, what can you say about tonight's game? With six players from the reserve team squad out on loan half the side Everton were down to the bare bones.

It took 20 mins for us to have any kind of attack at Middlesbrough: Jevons had a shot saved by the keeper quite easy. Eight mins later Milligan had a free kick from the edge of the box go well wide of the target. Simonsen was the busiest of all the Everton players.

Half time: Everton 0 - 0 Middlesbrough

The players reluctantly trudged out on to the park, or so it would appear from where I was sitting. In the 54th min, Jevons, who was played through from midfield, tried to control the ball in the Boro box. The keeper dived at his feet. We thought it should have been a penalty but the man with the whistle said otherwise.

Then, within 60 s, Middlesbrough scored the only goal of the evening. Marinelli hit the Everton post with the rebound falling to Stockdale, who knocked it into the back of the net.

Everton found themselves, for the second game in 4 days, with a one man advantage. On 68 mins, Maddison was sent off for pulling back Carl Howarth on the edge of the box, although we could not profit from the resulting free kick.

In the second half, we only really had one chance. This was again from Jevons, who was put through via a classic Granty ball, but the Boro defender blocked his resulting shot. All in all, tonights' game will not go down as one of the best so far this season.

 Bradford City 3 - 2 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 11
Monday 17 January 2000
Valley Parade, Bradford

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Ball, Ward (Capt), Farley (84' McLeod), Gemmill, Degn, Jevons, Moore, Cadamarteri, Milligan.
Subs not used: Osman, Delaney, Southern, Howarth. Scorers: Moore (3'), Milligan (pen:68').
Yellow cards:
31 mins Ward (3'); Moore (44') Ref: B Curzon  Att: 350

Steve Milne  The last reserve team game was played last century on 23 November, some 7/8 weeks ago. With the exception of some players, the main bulk of the team had not played in a competitive game in this period. With the FA Youth Cup game looming ahead tomorrow, the normal players for this team were rested up, so we were naturally down to the bare bones of the squad.

We did however start extremely brightly. Within 30 seconds, Degn had a 20-yd shot hit the post. On 3 mins, Joe-Max Moore scored his second Everton goal of the week. It came about as a result of a pass from Ball which found Degn in the box and his resulting shot was turned in to open the score line by Moore. A virtual re-run of Saturdays' goal against Spurs.

Our lead lasted only 10 mins; ex-Man Utd and Leeds player Lee Sharpe, ran amok through a square Everton defence who could not stop his run and his shot past a helpless Simonsen levelled the score. We were 2-1 down after 22 mins, the Everton defence once again lacking a presence; Grant was left to walk through the open spaces, and side-foot the ball past Simonsen into the corner of the net. We only had one other shot on goal in the first half. Ball had an 18-yd shot, but it went straight to the keeper.

Half-time: Bradford City 2 - 1 Everton

By this time, the 350 watching fans had begun to freeze. The weather became colder and the pitch began to freeze up, making it difficult for the players to keep on their feet. On 53 mins, Cadamarteri had, we thought, scored from an excellent Degn cross, but the referee decided that he had used his hand and it was disallowed. On 58 mins, Jevons was put through from a brilliant ball with only the keeper between him and the net. His shot was pushed around the post. 10 mins later, Jevons was brought down for a clear penalty. Up stepped Milligan whose shot went in off the post: 2-2.

Bradford's winning goal came as a result of an incident involving Farley. He had back-tracked a Bradford player, did a goal-saving tackle and then, for some unknown reason, with the ball and player going nowhere, he decided to bring down the Bradford player in the box! Jacobs for Bradford put the game ahead. On 82 mins, Everton made a substitution, the guilty Farley coming off and McLeod on. This however, did nothing to alleviate the impending loss.

Joe-Max Moore has had another 90 mins of football in a blue shirt which can only do wonders for his fitness level. Let's put tonight's defeat down to being a bit rusty.

 Everton 2 - 1 Manchester United

Reserves/U-21 Match No 12
Tuesday 25 January 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Myhre, Regan, Ball, Farley, Clarke, Ward (Capt), Degn (46' Milligan), Gemmill, Moore (85' Osman), Jevons, Cadamarteri.
Subs not used: Delaney, O'Hanlon, McLeod. Scorers: Jevons (62', 71').
Yellow cards: None. Ref: Mr A Butler. Att: 5,131. 

Steve Milne  If there ever has been a game of two halves, then this must have been it. United, fielding the likes of Neville, Henning Berg, Scholes, Cruyff and last but not least, Solskjaer - all of whom have commanded first team status. They even fielded a 15-yr-old Darren Fletcher from Scotland, who was pretty good by the way. He put on quite a performance for the fans were watching back home via MUTV, and for those fans who attended the game this evening - and who far outnumbered the Everton fans.

The first half was completely dominated by red shirts. Everton really only had five half-chances in 45 mins. Jevons had four of those chances, the other falling to Degn. On 17 mins, United opened the scoring with a typical Solskjaer goal, the ones you see many times on Match of the Day. Myhre who was trying to prove a point to Walter Smith for the vacant goalkeeping post for this Saturday and - whilst he may be favourite for the position - showed his rustiness when clearing his back passes down the field. They were somewhat wayward.

Half-Time: Everton 0 - 1 Manchester United

Half-time came and went with an inspired substitution of Milligan on for Degn. Somehow this seemed to transform the boys in blue; the second half was the complete opposite to the first. On 56 mins, Joe- Max Moore forced their keeper to make a save. Two minutes later the keeper was again called upon, this time to block a Jevons header from a Milligan cross. After 62 mins, Jevons finally had his hard work rewarded. Cadamarteri, with a brilliant ball from midfield found Jevons in the box who, with some pretty nifty footwork taking the ball over the head of a United player, turned and found the back of the net.

Some 9 mins later, Everton's Man of the Match, Phil Jevons scored again. This time, a pass from Ward that somehow was miskicked by the United centre-half enabled Jevons to latch onto the ball, out-pace the United defence and slot it home.

Everton had two more chances: a Joe-Max Moore header from a Cadamarteri cross; and a Regan belter from 30 yds, which almost made it 3 but Rachubka pushed the ball around the post. With 5 mins to go, worryingly, Joe-Max Moore limped off for an enforced substitution (let's hope that it's not too serious as the squad is already thin enough for Saturday).

I just wish that you could bottle the second half performance of our reserves tonight. It was a joy to watch, but, er, let's just forget about the first 45 mins!!!

 Everton 1 - 1 Barnsley

Reserves/U-21 Match No 13
Tuesday 8 February 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Ward (Capt), Regan, Clarke, Farley, Xavier, Degn, Gemmill, Jevons, Osman (60' Howarth), Milligan.
Subs not used: Delaney, O'Hanlon, Southern, Hibbert. Scorers: Howarth 84 min
Yellow Cards: Xavier (34') Ref: Mr G Salisbury.  Att: 373

Steve Milne In gale force conditions, Everton reserves fought back after losing an early goal to get a deserved 1-1 result, substitute Howarth scoring the equaliser deep into the second half.  We could have sneaked a victory when Milligan hit the post on 90 mins with a sweet right footed shot. 

The first 45 mins started brightly, however, as within 30 seconds, Jevons was in the Barnsley penalty area and found his shot blocked.  30 secs later, young Farley had a free header in the box that found the keeper. 

First team wannabe Peter Degn had three relatively good chances the first after 5 mins a shot-cum-cross from inside the box that went somewhat astray.  His second which was by far the easiest of the night, when a wonderful ball from the wing found him totally unmarked 6yds out but, with 3 attempts at goal, somehow the ball would not find the back of the net.  His final attempt of the first half on 39 mins, with his shooting boots obviously still in the dressing room, found his shot again went well wide of the mark. 

Barnsley's goal came after 17 mins, the scorer Bulgarian international, Hristov (the one that caused all the kafuffle over the Barnsley ladies and his derogatory comments), who took advantage of the Everton defence's ball watching with absolutely no effort to clear the resulting corner. 

Half time: Everton 0 - 1 Barnsley

In the second half Everton faced the wind which surprisingly helped because  the football seemed to be a bit more flowing.  On 48 mins, Osman had half a chance, but the Barnsley defence stopped him in his tracks. 

On 52 mins, Osman again, found himself in the box heading for goal, only this time he was denied by some brave goalkeeping from Bullock.  Everton then had a good spell for 10 mins; Jevons from a Degn cross volleyed the ball just wide of the post.  A minute later, Degn from 30 yds out saw the keeper off his line and hit a speculative shot again, just missing the post. 

The hard work of the second half was rewarded 6 mins from time when substitute Howarth earned the Blues the draw.  With Everton's already thin first team squad in need of bolstering, Ward, Xavier, Degn and Gemmill each got 90mins in front of Walter and Archie. 

 Everton 1 - 1 Aston Villa

Reserves/U-21 Match No 14
Tuesday 15 February 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Delaney, Xavier, Regan, Farley, Clarke, Osman, Degn, Collins (capt), Jevons, Dempsey, Milligan. McLeod, Howarth, Southern, Pilkington, McKay.
Subs not used: #. Scorers: Osman (22') 
Yellow Cards: Dempsey (54'), Att: 561 Ref:  Mr T Kettle 

Steve Milne  On a bitterly cold night, 561 fans came to watch the reserves Xavier & Collins from the first team must have found the experience a little bit different (Monaco may be a little bit closer now...)

For 89 mins we thought that the game was ours, Osman gave the blues the lead on 22 mins with a well worked move involving Jevons.  We could have increased the scoreline but Xavier's cross  was held up in the wind, and the Villa keeper had to tip the ball over the bar.

Jevons, Degn, Dempsey, and Regan all had long range shots go wide of the mark,  Osman had another chance to put his name on the score sheet, running at the defence found himself in the box his shot was just wide of the post.

Villa had one real chance, but Delaney showed his class with a save that Southall would be proud of.

Half time: Everton 1 - 0 Aston Villa

The Widnes pitch had become heavy, with the constant rain this made the second half a bit of a lottery.  Milligan had a shot cleared of the line 51 mins, Osman had a shot 6 yds out with some power, this time the keeper's feet saving Villa.

Degn on 57 mins laid a great ball from midfield; Jevons in space found the keeper between himself and the goal only to be denied as the keeper dived at his feet.

Villa scored a late late goal 89 mins when on-loan striker Gustavo Bartelt latched on to a through-ball that caught out the defence with a well struck goal.  Lets hope that this is not the score on Sunday!

 Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 15
Wednesday 23 February 2000
Billingham Synthonia Ground

Everton:  Simonsen, Ward (capt), Regan, Clarke, Farley, Osman, Degn, Dempsey, Jevons, Cadamarteri, Milligan.
Subs not used: Howarth, Delaney, McKay, O'Hanlon, McLeod. Scorers: Howarth (pen:35')
Yellow cards:
Dempsey (70'), Clarke 88').  Ref: Mr A S Hogg Att: 564.

Steve Milne  A trip up to the north east to Billingham to see Middlesbrough's reserve team was a first for me tonight; not a bad little ground I have been to a lot worse over the years, let me tell you.

Overall, the game was a bit scrappy. Everton could not get their act together on the passing side for the first 45 mins. We only had a couple of chances: Degn was put though with a great ball from Osman, having beaten the offside trap, and had just the keeper to beat, but he put the ball well over the bar.

Jevons was pulled down in the box, and Milligan blasted the ball into the net on 35 mins: 1-0. We only had one other real chance of note, from Degn again. This time he had a 20-yd shot go wide of the mark (again).

Half Time: Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Everton

Everton's keeper Simonsen had only two saves to make all night, both in the first 20 seconds of each half; apart from that, he was just watching the game like everyone else.

2 mins into the second half, Milligan found Dempsey with an inch-perfect cross but, from 16 yds out, his shot just missed the post.

On 64 mins Cadamarteri ran 20-30 yards with the ball, found himself in the box and shot on the run, only to be thwarted by the keeper.

Osman (Everton's man of the match, for his effort on the pitch) had the move of the night on 68 mins. With some great footwork, he glided past 3 players, crossed the ball at pace to find Jevons at full stretch heading the ball just wide of the post.

Then on 80 mins Middlesbrough's Armstrong ran into Regan in the Everton penalty area, the ref gave a pen, I could not believe it... Armstrong himself took the spot kick: 1-1.

But that's football

 Everton 4 - 2  Sheffield Wednesday

Reserves/U-21 Match No 16
Tuesday 7 March 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Gerrard, Dunne, Dempsey, Watson, Farley, Gemmill, Cadamarteri, Osman, Jevons, Hutchison, Milligan. 
Subs not used: Howarth, Delany, McLeod, McKay.  Scorers: Osman (2'), Jevons (32', 40'), Cadamarteri (54')
Yellow cards: Dunne (17')  Ref: Mr G Atkins  Att: 664 

Steve Milne  Tonight's line up created the strongest reserve team of the season. With the likes of Dunne, Watson, Gemmill, Cadamarteri, Hutchison, you would think at this level of football we would totally dominate, and for 88 mins we did.

But Wednesday scored an opening goal 1 min 10 secs into the game.  Just 20 secs later, straight from the kick-off, Milligan found himself 15 yds out with a shot that was deflected for a corner.  On 1 min 45 secs, Osman popped up with a header to level the score. 

Everton's Man of the Match, Jamie Milligan, had plenty of opportunities to impress any watching scouts.  On 11 mins, he hit a cross which Jevons just failed to get to.  On 23 mins, Cadamarteri was the provider, and Milligan headed just wide.  Everton increased the score line on 32 mins, Jevons picking up a ball from a nice midfield pass by Hutchison. He held off three players and calmly lulled the ball past the keeper.  8 mins later, Jevons scored his second, this time from 1 yd out, tapped in off a Cadamarteri cross.

Half time: Everton 3 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday

On the start of the second half, Gerrard, who was virtually redundant, had his only real save to make all night but it was a goal-saving effort.  On 54 mins, Cadamarteri ran a full 20-30 yds down the right wing, cut into the box and side footed the ball in for Everton's 4th of the night.  At this point, the Blues went into cruise control.  

Dunne on 72 mins put the ball into the back of his own net!  This seemed to jump start Everton back into life.  After 78 mins, Cadamarteri again ran at the Wednesday defence and shot with power, but it was knocked down by the keeper.  Alas, no blue shirts around to tap in the rebound.  

A minute later, a combination of Hutchison, Jevons and Milligan saw the keeper in no-man's land but the trio just could not find the target.  Milligan's best move of the night came when he beat two players from the left wing, cut into the box, facing the keeper and the goal... To his right totally unmarked were Jevons and Cadamarteri but Milligan chose to shoot a wasted opportunity. 

 Everton 0 - 1 Sunderland

Reserves/U-21 Match No 17
Tuesday 14 March 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, O'Hanlon, Regan, Farley, Clarke (Capt), Osman, McKay (64' Howarth), Dempsey, Hutchison, Milligan, McLeod.
Subs not used: Wright, Delany (gk), Pilkington, Hibbert. Scorers: None
Yellow Cards: None.  Referee: Mr Smith.  Att: 711

Steve Milne  Seven hundred and eleven brave Evertonians watched what was basically Everton's Under-19 side succumb to a very experienced Sunderland team.  Everton, with only Simonsen and Hutchison who had any first team experience under their belts, had just two attempts on goal during the whole 90 mins.  

Hutchison had a shot that was somehow tipped over the bar by Marriott on 19 mins.  Our only other attempt was on the half hour mark when Milligan hit the crossbar from a full 20 yards out.  For most of the game, Hutchison was a lone striker and this was reflected in the strike rate.

Dichio in injury time of the first half unleashed an unstoppable 20-yd shot that Simonsen had absolutely no chance of stopping.  The Evertonians who were here tonight actually applauded.

Half time: Everton 0 - Sunderland 1
During the second half, the piece of paper on which I keep my notes is blank, apart from the substitution of Howarth on for McKay.  So let's just say Everton had a quiet second half.

 Aston Villa 1 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 18
Wednesday 22 March 2000
Villa Park, Birmingham

Everton: Myhre, Regan, Ball (71' Dempsey), Farley, Dunne (68' Clarke), Ward, Cadamarteri (75' Howarth), Gemmill, Hutchison, Jevons, Milligan. 
Subs not used: Pilkington, McKay.  Scorers: Dunne (27')

The Daily Post  Richard Dunne's first goal of the season earned Everton Reserves a 1-1 draw in the FA Premier Reserve League at Aston Villa last night. The Blues dominated the play throughout the 90 minutes at Villa Park and should have won comfortably, but a combination of missed opportunities and good goalkeeping prevented them from taking all three points.

Fielding a strong line-up, the Blues saw chances go begging early on with Phil Jevons guilty of missing two opportunities within the first 10 minutes. Don Hutchison, Jevons' strike partner for the evening, put the youngster through in the second minute but he could only put his shot wide. Jevons again broke free of the Villa defence eight minutes later but again fired wide.

The Blues eventually made their dominance pay in the 26th minute when they were awarded a free-kick after Danny Cadamarteri was tripped.  Jamie Milligan sent over the free kick and Richard Dunne rose at the far post to head past Cutler.

Villa responded when Richard Walker turned and blazed over from inside the area and on the stroke of half time they pulled level.  Out of favour Alan Thompson hit a left foot shot which Thomas Myhre could only palm away and Stephen Evans was on hand to slide the ball home from close range.

Everton continued to dominate in the second half with Hutchison again setting up Jevons, whose right foot shot was deflected wide.  Mitch Ward also forced a good save from keeper Cutler who could only parry the Blues midfielder's shot.

Villa responded again when Evans nearly doubled his tally only to be denied by a superb save from Thomas Myhre.  Danny Cadamarteri sent a header just over the Villa crossbar before Scot Gemmill found Don Hutchison in the penalty area but his attempted overhead kick went wide of the mark.

Both sides had chances to win the game late on but it will be Everton who will feel they should have done better. The Blues remain in ninth position in the Premier Reserve League.

 Bolton Wanderers 1 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 19
Tuesday 29 March 2000
Reebock Stadium, Bolton

Everton: Simonsen, Ward (c), Regan (Booked) Farley Clarke Osman (75' McLeod) Hibbert (65' McKay) Gemmill Jevons Dempsey Milligan
Subs not used: Howarth, Pilkington, Delaney. Scorers: Osman (74')
Yellow Cards: Regan (81').  Ref: Mr E Evans

Paul McKean  A young Everton side certainly had the best of the early exchanges against a Bolton side that included new signings Grant, the Australian Boutsianis (who is on bail for armed robbery) and three Cayman Island trialists.

Hibbert was guilty of firing over from the edge of the box with the keeper stranded in the first period.  While Jevons, probably showed why Walter has yet to promote him to the first team midway through the half.  A 25-yard effort by Gemmill was clearly going in with the goalkeeper well off his line, yet Jevons chose to make sure and poke the ball home, only for the linesman to raise his flag.  With a defender on the line Jevons seemed genuinely surprised to have the goal disallowed, obviously not realising there needs to be two defenders between him and the goal. 

As always seems to happen, Bolton took the lead through a counter-attack straight after.  They broke from half way down their left flank, forcing two defenders over to cover.  The speedy Bolton winger then managed to a get a cross into the box for an unmarked Grant to score from 8 yards with Simonsen pulled out of position. 

It was my first opportunity to watch most of the team in the flesh:

  • Regan I was impressed with the look of Regan who did well, not only defending but also looked comfortable going forward and putting in one or two good crosses.  
  • Osman looked assured in possession 
  • Hibbert although enthusiastic looked too keen to go in with two feet.  
  • Jevons showed his turn of pace and his eye for space but lost possession at the vital time too many times.  He looks to have filled out since I saw him at Blackburn.  
  • Dempsey controlled the ball well when playing up front but got bundled off the ball a lot and looked more comfortable running with the ball in the second half from deeper. 
  • Milligan looks dangerous in possession and has a deadly left peg.  He broke clear 6 yards out after linking with Osman and Jevons in the second half but lacked a right foot to finish with. 
  • McKay impressed me in the short time he was on the field.  Playing wide right he didn't shy away from any tackles and looked eager to get the ball at every opportunity. He's not afraid to run at players and looks to get the cross in when he can. 

It was a McKay run down the right that led to the equaliser.  Jinking inside he was tripped right on the corner of the box. Ward and Milligan set themselves for the free kick with the wall only 8 yards away.  Ward pulled away before Milligan clipped a delightful swerving kick around the wall and off the inside of the right hand upright.  With the ball failing to cross the line as it rolled across goal, Osman was the first to react, poking the ball home on the far post. 

Everton could have gone on to win the game.  Jevons broke clear only to push the ball too far in front of him and allow the keeper to save.  It was Pilkington though who went closest.  A cross from the right, to the far post, was met well by the substitute, who headed the ball down, only for the Bolton keeper Glennon to make a fine save.

Overall I'd say that we certainly need to strengthen the squad on this evidence. Although these players may yet go on to be great Everton players there time has not yet come.

 Leeds United 1 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 20
Tuesday 4 April 2000
Elland Road , Leeds

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Ball, Dunne, Clarke, Ward, Cadamarteri, Osman, Jeffers (65' Dempsey), Jevons, Milligan. 
Subs not used: Farley, Howarth, Hibbert, Delaney. Scorers: Jevons 
Red Cards: Regan (68')

Daily Post Francis Jeffers played 65 minutes of Everton reserves 1-1 draw at Elland Road as he made his return to competitive action.  The Blues striker, who has been out seven weeks after suffering ankle ligament damage on England duty, showed no reaction to the injury and was even involved in Everton's opening goal.  Jeffers' pass found Phil Jevons who unleashed a terrific shot which beat Paul Robinson from 22 yards out.

The visitors should have gone two-up minutes later when roles were reversed and Jevons found his team-mate Jeffers in the box but the England under-21 star was inches wide.

Leeds got back on level terms on 58 minutes when Carl Regan pulled down Alan Smith and Tony Hackworth scored from the penalty spot.

Regan earned himself a red-card 10 minutes later with another clumsy challenge with Alan Smith again the victim.

 Everton 1 - 1 Newcastle United

Reserves/U-21 Match No 21
Tuesday 18 April 2000
AutoQuest Stadium, Widnes

Everton: Simonsen, Hibbert, Regan, O'Hanlon, Clarke, Osman, Cadamarteri, Ward (c), Jeffers (62' McLeod), Howarth, Milligan.
Subs not used: Pilkington, Wright, McLeod, McKay, Delany. Scorers: Howarth (61')
Yellow cards: None. Ref: Mr D Drysdale.  Att: 4,175

Steve Milne Everton's final reserve team home game was played before a higher than normal attendance due to the fact that it was free to get in and I think most of them came to see Jeffers, who had a good hour to try and prove to Walter Smith that he may at least keep the bench warm on Friday night against the old enemy.

The Blues were 1-0 down after 14 mins, when Newcastle's Marcelino opened the scoring.  Unmarked from a corner, he beat Simonsen.  In fact, Newcastle had the ball in the back of the net on 26 mins, but this time, the linesman ruled it offside.  Everton were restricted to only a handful of chances.  On 23 mins, Osman had half a chance, from 6 yds out. Ward who was Captain on the night, had a 30- yd shot just go over the bar.  The best chance in the first half Howarth was brought down we all thought in the box for a penalty.  The referee however, thought otherwise and Milligan's free kick just edged past the post.

Half time: Everton 0 - 1 Newcastle

In the second half, we had one chance and one chance only. Cadamarteri with one of his jinking runs down the right side, crossed the ball to Milligan, who hit a hard powerful shot, out stuck Howarth's right foot, from 2 yds out, to grab our equaliser.  Only the athleticism of Simonsen, who pulled off a brilliant save, tipping the ball over the bar just before the end of the game, kept the scoreline even.

In general, on a horrible wet, cold, evening, a fair result.

 Blackburn Rovers 1 - 4 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 22
Wednesday 3 May 2000
Ewood Park, Blackburn

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Ball, Clarke, Dunne, Ward (capt), Degn (57' Osman), Milligan, Jeffers, Jevons, Cadamarteri.
Subs not used: Delany, Hibbert, McLeod, Howarth. Scorers: Jeffers (60', 66'); Milligan (62'); Jevons (88').
Yellow cards: Ward (43'), Jevons (59').  Ref: M Atkinson. Att: 623.

Steve Milne  Everton tonight fielded possibly their strongest reserve team of the season, justifiably running out 4-1 winners.  However, the first 45 mins left a lot to be desired.  We only created 1 chance.  On 11 mins, Regan crossed the ball from the bye-line to find Milligan on the edge of the box, who rifled home a low, hard shot but somehow Blackburns' keeper, Filan, pushed it around the post.  The only other notable event in the first half came on 43 mins when Jeffers was tackled quite heavily and then 10 players got involved in what can only be described as handbags at 10 paces, with lots of pushing and shoving.

Half time: Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Everton 

Reserve team Manager, Andy Holden, made an inspired substitution on 57 mins, introducing Leon Osman for the lack lustre Peter Degn.  This seemed to transform the team for, inside just 6 mins, we scored 3 goals.  Jevons opened the scoring.  Cadamarteri on the left wing, gliding past a couple of defenders, crossed to find an unmarked Franny to slot home an unmissable goal.  On 62 mins, Milligan found himself played into a wonderful position from an Osman pass and, with his left foot, shot low and hard, past the helpless keeper.

After 66 mins, Jeffers scored the goal of the night, involving four Everton players, with some great passing, leaving Jeffers with a simple touch, to finish the move.  After some frantic work, the Blues must have switched off for a couple of moments, letting Blackburn score on 73mins, as a result of poor defence work.  Two mins before the end of time, Jevons, who had already hit the woodwork from 20 yds out, had another try; this time, the ball flew gracefully into the top corner.

All in all, an enjoyable second 45 mins and even better, a nice result for Leicester over the park at Anfield!

 Sheffield Wednesday 4 - 1 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 23
Wednesday 10 May 2000
Hillsbrough, Sheffield

Everton: Simonsen, Hibbert, Regan, Clarke, Knowles (46' Pilkington), Dempsey, Cadamarteri, Osman, Jevons (capt), Howarth (46' McLeod (66' McKay)), Milligan.
Subs not used: Wright, Delaney. Scorers: Milligan (4')
None.  Ref: M Clattenburg  Att: 204.

Steve Milne  Chris Waddle, despite his ageing years, pulled his boots back on for Sheffield Wednesday, and showed his class on the field tonight.

Everton started brightly; on 4 mins, Milligan opened the scoring.  Cadamarteri found Howarth unmarked on the back post, who laid the ball into the path of Milligan; his fierce shot went in off the crossbar. A couple of minutes later, Jevons totally unmarked, 6yds out blasted over the bar; a wasted opportunity.

Milligan had a free kick on 18 mins, just outside the box, which went just wide. Two mins later, Osman hit the bar following a virtual re-run of the goal. On the half hour mark, something went wrong in the Everton back four.  37 mins Oakes from 10 yds out shot between Simonsen's legs and then the rot set in.  Everton's defence just fell to pieces. Staniforth and Oakes scoring a goal a piece, 90 seconds apart.

Half time: Sheffield Wednesday 3 - 1 Everton

McLeod and Pilkington were brought on to shake things up.  This however, did not work.  The Blues did create a couple of chances.  Sheffield Wednesday's keeper making a couple of brilliant point-blank saves from close range off Cadamarteri and Osman.

After 73 mins, Milligan and McKay combined to provide a hard low ball across the box.  Jevons, sliding in, just failed to get a touch for a certain goal.  Sheffield Wednesdays 4th goal came on 83 mins, from an 18-yd shot; Simonsen had failed to hold onto the ball, leaving Muller the easiest tap-in he may ever have on the pitch.

 Liverpool 2 - 2 Everton

Reserves/U-21 Match No 24
Monday 15 May 2000
Anfield, Liverpool

Everton: Simonsen, Regan, Ball, Dunne, Clarke, Ward (Capt), Cadamarteri, Gemmill (78' Osman), Jeffers, Jevons, Milligan.
Subs not used: Delaney, O'Hanlon, Hibbert, Dempsey. Scorers: Jeffers (40'), Jevons (51')
Yellow Cards:  Ball (69').  Ref: Mr Cooper  Att: 6,960. 

Steve Milne  Evertons' final reserve team game of the season ended in a 2-2 draw, when in fact, we should have won 6-2.

With 6 players on show tonight who had played some part in yesterday's defeat against Middlesbrough, it as a fairly strong reserve team line-up.  Everton (not wearing their new Puma kit) weathered Liverpools' early onslaught.  Simonsen made a world-class save on 3 mins, pushing the ball over the bar.  

We did however, concede a goal on 12 mins.  Liverpool fired the ball across the box in between Dunne and Clarke. It hit Michael Ball, popped up into the path of Newby who, from 1 yd out, tapped  the ball home.  This seemed to awaken the Blues and, on 23 mins, Jeffers was brought down in the box.  Penalty! 

Up stepped Milligan who, in normal circumstances, you could count on to burst the net.  However, tonight he blasted wide and I mean, well wide. On 36 mins, Jeffers had been put through from a nice ball from midfield and tried to chip the keeper, who palmed the ball down, only for it to fall to Cadamarteri, who blasted it wide of the post.  

Everton's hard work paid off on 40 mins. With a free kick 20 yds out, Jeffers took it quickly whilst Liverpool were trying to organise their defence, and he levelled the score.

Half time: Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton

On 51 mins, Jevons with his trusty left foot from a Jeffers cross, side footed the ball past the helpless Liverpool keeper.  Then, on 62 mins, Jeffers again, shooting from 30 yds out, and forcing the keeper once again, to make a pretty good save. 

On 79 mins, within a minute of coming on, Osman found himself in the 6-yd box, flicking on a cross, only to be thwarted by Nielsen. 1 minute later, Osman again, had a shot just skim the post. 

On 90 mins disaster just as we thought we were going to be party poopers (as Liverpool were picking up the FA Premier Reserve League Cup), Navarro picked up the ball, ran 20 yds and let fly 18 yds out, with Simonsen helpless, making the final score 2-2.  Not a happy way to end the game from Everton's point of view.

With that we conclude the season.  Till pre-season, Bye Bye for now!  Steve Milne


 Reserve Team Appearances and Goals, 1999-2000  

Listed by Premiership Squad Number 
                FA Reserves   Senior Cup      Total
 No  Name      Apps(S)  Gls  Apps(S)  Gls  Apps(S)  Gls    Comments           
  1  Myhre        3(-)    -     1(-)    -     4(-)    -      
  2  Cleland      5(-)    -     -(-)    -     5(-)    -      
  3  Ball         8(-)    -     -(-)    -     8(-)    -      
  4  Gough        -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
  5  Watson       1(-)    -     -(-)    -     1(-)    -      
  6  Unsworth     -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
  7  Collins      1(-)    -     -(-)    -     1(-)    -      
  8  Barmby       -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
  9  Campbell     -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
 10  Hutchison    3(-)    -     -(-)    -     3(-)    -      
 11  Gemmill      9(-)    -     -(-)    -     9(-)    -      
 12  Pembridge    1(-)    -     -(-)    -     1(-)    -      
 13  Gerrard      1(-)    -     -(-)    -     1(-)    -      
 14  Weir         -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
 15  Dunne        5(-)    1     -(-)    -     5(-)    1      
 16  Cadamarteri 16(-)    4     -(-)    -    16(-)    4      
 17  Jeffers      4(-)    3     -(-)    -     4(-)    3      
 18  Phelan       4(-)    -     -(-)    -     4(-)    -      
 19  Xavier       2(-)    -     -(-)    -     2(-)    -      
 20  Jevons      22(-)   10     1(-)    -    23(-)   10      
 21  Ward        12(-)    -     -(-)    -    12(-)    -      
 22  Degn        12(-)    -     -(-)    -    12(-)    -      
 23  Moore        2(-)    1     -(-)    -     2(-)    1      
 24  Grant        3(-)    -     -(-)    -     3(-)    -      
 25  Williamson   -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
 26  Johnson      5(-)    4     -(-)    -     5(-)    4      
 27  Clarke      20(2)    -     1(-)    -    21(2)    -      
 28  Bilic        -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
 30  Farrelly     7(1)    1     -(-)    -     7(1)    1      
 31  Branch       5(-)    5     -(-)    -     5(-)    5      
 32  O'Kane       8(-)    -     -(-)    -     8(-)    -      
 34  McKay        1(2)    -     -(-)    -     1(2)    -      
 35  Simonsen    20(-)    -     -(-)    -    20(-)    -      
 36  Milligan    20(4)    6     1(-)    -    21(4)    6      
 37  Farley      12(-)    -     1(-)    -    13(-)    -      
 38  Regan       21(-)    1     1(-)    -    22(-)    1      
 R01  Woods       -(-)    -     -(-)    -     -(-)    -      
 R02  Delaney     1(-)    -     -(-)    -     1(-)    -      
 R03  O'Hanlon    4(-)    -     -(-)    -     4(-)    -      
 R04  Hibbert     4(-)    -     -(-)    -     4(-)    -      
 R05  McLeod      5(7)    1     1(-)    -     6(7)    1      
 R06  Dempsey     6(4)    -     -(1)    -     6(5)    -      
 R07  Knowles     2(-)    -     -(-)    -     2(-)    -      
 R08  Osman      11(5)    3     1(-)    -    12(5)    3      
 R09  Southern    2(2)    -     1(-)    -     3(2)    -      
 R10  Howarth     5(4)    2     1(-)    -     6(4)    2      
 R11  Pilkington  2(1)    -     1(-)    -     3(1)    -      


 Bamber Bridge 3 - 4 Everton XI

Reserves Pre-Season Friendly #1
Saturday 31 July 1999
Irongate Stadium, Preston 

Everton: Delaney, Regan, Pilkington, Farley, Knowles, O'Kane( 45 Hibbert), Oster (68 McAlpine), Farrelly (Capt), Branch (19 Howarth (21 Branch (45 Howarth (64 McKay)))), Milligan, McLeod.
Subs not used: Wright, Hogg.  Scorers: McLeod (6', 57'), Oster (27'), Pilkington (48')

Steven Milne  The first goal was scored after 6 mins by Kevin McLeod. It came from a cross which was half cleared and fell to McLeod. He had a shot/stroke lob with the side of his foot into the goal: 1-0. Bamber Bridge equalised in the 10th minute. Goalscorer, Ian Bryson. The goal came about as a result of poor defending; the ball fell to him on the 18-yd box and his shot beat the goalkeeper.

Everton's second goal was scored in the 27th minute after a superbly well-orchestrated move. A long through ball from O'Kane found Milligan, who in turn found an unmarked Oster; from 6yds out he couldn't really miss.

On 48 mins George Pilkington scored after a Kevin McLeod shot was parried by the keeper, the ball fell to McLeod on the 18-yd box and he let fly.

Everton then had a bad 8 mins, in which Bamber Bridge scored two goals in the 50th and the 56th minute. Both goals came about from poor defensive errors. Their second goal was scored by Andy Whittaker after a dreadful keeper error. Their third goal came from a typical Wimbledon-type punt up the field.

Everton's fourth and final goal came in the 57th minute. A low cross from Oster, who was Everton's Man of the Match, was met with an easy tap in for his second goal of the day, by Kevin McLeod.

On the whole the team played quite well, considering it was their first reserve game of the pre-season.

 Burscough 2 - 5 Everton XI

Reserves Pre-Season Friendly #2
Monday 2 August 1999
Victoria Park, Burscough 

Everton: Delaney, Regan (62' Wright), Pilkington, O'Kane, Farley (62' Knowles), Hibbert, Oster (71' McAlpine), Farrelly, Branch (42' Howarth), Milligan (77' McKay), McLeod.
Subs not used: None. Scorers: Branch (2', 32'), Milligan (12'), Oster (44', 49')

Steve Milne: Before Burscough had a kick, we were 1-0 up. In the 2nd minute, Michael Branch latched on to a wonderful through ball from McLeod, who found Milligan on the wing. His cross met Branchy, whose shot was partly blocked by the keeper, but nevertheless, found the back of the net.

The 2nd goal came in the 12th minute, this time from Milligan. From some great work involving 3 or 4 players on the right side, Milligan 10 yds out at the second attempt, hit the target. The 3rd goal came after 32 mins, Michael Branch's second of the night. The ball came from midfield and in a one-on-one with the keeper, Branch found this an easy goal.

In the 37th minute, Burscough pulled one goal back through some terrible defending in which the Everton defence, could not clear the ball. Everton's fourth, came just before half time, in the 44th minute; this time the scorer was John Oster. Once again McLeod, was the provider with a defense-splitting pass and Oster easily slotted the ball home.

Second half

The second half started badly as on 48 minutes Burscough scored their second goal which can only be put down, once again, to the Everton defence being half asleep. This however, woke the Blues up, because within 60 seconds, Oster scored his second goal of the night. The midfield combined to lay the ball on for Oster who, 6 yds out, could not fail to miss.

In the 75th minute come the move of the game: once again, McLeod, who for my money was Man of the Match, collected the ball in his own half, ran a full 30 yds, and let fly with a right footed shot, from a good 30 yds outside the area. He hit the crossbar, which was still rocking some 10 minutes later.

The match was watched by Walter Smith, Archie Knox and Dave Watson, who were casting their eager eyes over the game from the stand, along with a crowd of 670.

 Everton 1 - 0 Tranmere Rovers

Reserves Pre-season Friendly
Thursday 12 August 1999
Bellefield (behind closed doors) 

Everton: Simonsen, Brinquin, Farrelly (45' Regan), O'Kane, Farley, Degn (83' Hibbert), Visenburger (56' McLeod), Grant, Ekelund, Jevons, Milligan. {Italics = Players on trial}
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers: Jevons.

Steve Milne: Everton played a 4- 4-2 formation, which is the way that Harvey and Holden tend to play the reserve team the way the team play the best football.

Simmo was in goal, with Gerrard on the side lines having a look. I think that on today's performance (Simmo had nothing to do all day, apart from watching the ball fly over the bar) Gerrard's place is safe for a while.

There were three players on trial today; the one who stood out was the Frenchman, Brinquin, who played at right back, and was very hard working. Played well, and worth another look.

Lots of midfield action in the first half but no goals. It was nice to see Tony Grant in the center of midfield; he was the man in charge, everything went though him; it was vintage Granty.

The  second half , once again it was a battle of the midfield. The only goal was a well-taken one from some nice work between, Regan, Milligan, and Ekelund. They played some great one-two's then they found Phil Jevons at the near post and, from 2 yards out, he could not miss.

With Walter Smith and Archie Knox and all the backroom staff looking on, the black cloud over Bellefield was lifted, if only for a few short moments...  


We use cookies to enhance your experience on ToffeeWeb and to enable certain features. By using the website you are consenting to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.