Season 2011-12

Retirement Announcement

51 Comments: First  |  Last

To begin, I'd like to thank you for coming here and I'll get straight to the point - I'm announcing my retirement from English football. Before I go on I should apologise for making this announcement on the eve of the season, but I can't pretend anymore.

As others around me, and everyone here, has been excitedly looking forward to the new kick-off, I've really struggled to muster any enthusiasm... To be blunt, I've lost my hunger for the game.

If I'm honest with myself, this has been building for some time. As I've gotten older, I've thought more and more about leaving. Every old pro will in any sport will tell you that, when the time comes, you know it; my time has come and it's a decision I'm comfortable with.

During the 30-plus years I've been assocoiated with this great club, I've seen some wonderful times that will always stay with me ? FA Cup wins, European triumph and, of course, League success. I'd like to thank everyone at Everton for those thrilling times and the memories.

Of course, over that time there's been great changes in the game too, and not all of them have been for the better. The focus on the athlete over the artist and the increasing dominance of the weathly at the expense of healthy, broad competition. And as we all know there's been the aimless drift into mediocrity and stagnation of this once great club.

I know some people will condemn me for making this decision and say that I'm walking away when my support is most needed. But I feel it's the right decision for myself and my family, to whom I owe an enormous debt of gratitude for allowing me to indulge my passion all these years.

To those of you who will remain here, I hope you have the success and joy in the years ahead that you so richly deserve.

Good luck and goodbye!
Paul Kish, Adelaide, Australia     Posted 14/08/2011 at 05:08:25

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Steve Smith
1   Posted 14/08/2011 at 14:22:19

Well that's you gone, now what about the board following suit, swiftly followed by Moyes and then the installation of an Eastern European Chairman, whose only goal in life is to change the manager every time his chewy loses its flavour, maybe then...just maybe, we might see a positive post on this site !
Peter Fearon
2   Posted 14/08/2011 at 14:31:36

And this is before a ball is kicked by an Everton player. Gimme a break! Surely the self-pitying, lovelorn, I'll-never-play-the-violin-again stuff, the Woe for Everton, not a whit for me crap should have to wait until the end of September at least! We haven't even been bundled out of the League Cup by lowly incompetent opposition yet! At least wait until our first early-season long term injury or until we outplay the league leaders and lose to a Phil Neville own goal. Let's keep it real, lads, please!
Brendan McLaughlin
3   Posted 14/08/2011 at 14:44:49

FFS cut the man some slack. He isn't slagging the team off or throwing a strop because Moyes or Kenwriight ain't running the club the way Paul Kish feels it should be. He's just lost interest in the game or "grown up" my wife would have me believe.
Jeez....Paul I didn't even have time to get you a card.
Anthony Jaras
4   Posted 14/08/2011 at 15:47:38

To be fair, you live in Australia, is it going to make a difference to anyone?

Probably not as you don't contribute anyway by going to the games so in truth, what exactly are you giving up?

Another point has been made above about the fact that you have thrown in the towel before a ball has even been kicked.

Despite the fact that I now put more time into supporting The Widnes Vikings over Everton (due to money, time and the fact that all my matchgoing mates have now moved away), I would never totally turn my back on the Blues, no matter how bad it got.

Shame pal!
Paul Thompson
5   Posted 14/08/2011 at 15:56:53

Time passes and passions fade. This isn't new. Maybe you'd tell a few mates down the pub. Now, thanks to the web, you can tell the bleedin' world. Was that strictly necessary? Or your 15 minutes of fame?

I too have been around long enough to see the good and bad times. I don't like Sky era and I'm not exactly ectstatic about the club being skint and competing for best of the rest. But I'm hanging in there. If I decide otherwise, I promise to keep it to myself.
Tom Bowers
6   Posted 14/08/2011 at 15:57:27

Doesn't matter where you are in the world a true blue will always be just that and are entitled to voice your disappointment. Yes, things have not happened during the Summer but we have to at least give the boys a chance for a few games to see if there will be ant cause for optimism particularly with the players on the fringe.
Even Moyes knows he cannot keep playing his faves without getting results and he along with BK know the unrest among the fans over what has ''not happened''
Other clubs are in the same boat and some have just taken on players who are just to my mind ''journeymen'' who would not have improved Everton.
Maybe we will have to sell Jags after all at the right price to free up cash. I hope not but these things happen and I am sure Jags wants to improve his position.
Sadly that is business as very few other Everton players seem to attract attention so we have to suffer those that are woefully inadequate or inconsistant for another season.
Trevor Mackie
7   Posted 14/08/2011 at 16:34:56

Christ, we haven't replaced Pienaar yet.

At the risk of being rude... haven't heard of ya ? were you Moyes's secret weapon?
John Talbot
8   Posted 14/08/2011 at 17:32:15

Unfortunately you are chosen to be an Evertonian for what ever reason.

You may want to leave, you may say you will leave but every match day you will still be watching, hoping and celebrating when we win.

See you next week.
John Audsley
9   Posted 14/08/2011 at 17:45:58

We have thousands of fans all over the world who contribute, your comments are pathetic Anthony and i hope you have the good grace to apologise

Ive never heard of or from you Paul and i wasn't under the impression that you could just quit

If its really that bad then fair enough, the rest of us are here till we drop. Through good and bad (and this aint great with that lunatic BK in charge) i will be ere on Toffeeweb/Goodison/Home/Work/Hols etc supporting the Blues

Sorry i aint one of the 30'000+ real fans Mr Jaras

I guess im just a part time Blue Fucker........
Kase Chow
10   Posted 14/08/2011 at 18:01:11

Ha Ha, how do you quit? If there was a way I'd consider it cos it hurts so much.

But fact is I'll always care about EFC, always check the websites, always hope we win and I'll still hurt when we lose.

Good luck to you, Paul.
Alan Clarke
11   Posted 14/08/2011 at 17:59:42

I don't believe you. I'm not enthusiastic about this season at all. I've given up my season ticket. I won't spend a penny at the club until Kenwright leaves (I may borrow a mate's season ticket still when he's not going). The Everton result will still shape my weekend though. You can't give it up regardless of where you live. Accept it and don't beat yourself up about it.
Karl Masters
12   Posted 14/08/2011 at 18:00:58

Sorry Paul, but Everton is the Hotel California ? You can check out, but you can never leave...
Noel Lynam
13   Posted 14/08/2011 at 18:25:48

Yet you felt the need to write in to a football website and make this announcement that football is no longer for you? Is that you Tony Marsh?
Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 14/08/2011 at 18:30:57

Don't be silly now.

Stephen Kenny
15   Posted 14/08/2011 at 18:31:56

I was half expecting Bill's name to be on the end of that.

If it was I'd have told him to stop being a melodramatic arl woman!
Ged Simpson
16   Posted 14/08/2011 at 19:13:28

Don't blame you. Tried to be an antheist but was born a Catholic. Some things out of our hands !
Pat Finegan
17   Posted 14/08/2011 at 19:14:53

See you in a couple weeks, Paul!
Michael Kelly
18   Posted 14/08/2011 at 20:35:18

For a split second there I thought it was Moyes's resignation statement.............you bastard!
Peter Hall
19   Posted 14/08/2011 at 22:55:15

Well. I don't know how we'll manage without you.

John Clarke
20   Posted 15/08/2011 at 00:01:19

Our league kicks off in October. Got your membership for Adelaide United?
Dick Fearon
21   Posted 14/08/2011 at 23:46:54

Here in Oz the reduced stature of our club hits home when I am asked by well meaning folk, where or even what is Everton.
Cahill has done much to change those perceptions though a bit more backing from our publicity department could have capitalised even more on his enormous popularity.
I don't know whether to praise or sympathise that Paul has decided to throw the towel in, I sometimes wish I could do the same.
Again and again like a punch drunk boxer I drag myself off the floor while ghosts of the past urge me on.
Michael Tracey
22   Posted 15/08/2011 at 01:26:08

Anthony go fuck yourself. There are a lot of Evertonians around the world who are no less than you. Due to circumstances they are unable to go to home games. I wonder what sort of fan you would be if you had to watch games in the early hours of the morning week in week out, would you do it?
Jamie Sweet
23   Posted 15/08/2011 at 02:00:13

I've never tried, nor do I want to try and quit... but I would imagine it is much more difficult than you think Paul.

You will at the very least check the scores next weekend - of that I have no doubt. Then you will afford a wry smile when you see Beckford grabbed a hatrick. Then you'll think "maybe I'll just take a quick look at Tofeeweb to see the reacton". And so on...

With modern technology the way it is now days, and the fact that a million football related stories and results are just a click of a button away where ever you are, whatever time of day - It must be difficult to go cold-turkey. It would be like an alcoholic walking around with one of those beer hats on their head 24/7. You're going to take a swig at some point!
Jamie Crowley
24   Posted 15/08/2011 at 03:48:01

I actually can't understand how anyone drops an allegiance and something they love. I really can't fathom it.

Good luck.
Chris Bannantyne
25   Posted 15/08/2011 at 05:11:18

Trying to quit being an Evertonian is like trying to quit breathing. You can only do it when you're dead.
Eugene Ruane
26   Posted 15/08/2011 at 07:36:21

To continue the player-supporter theme.

Maybe now that Paul has become an ex-supporter, he could become a supporter pundit?

"Well he's done just about EVERYTHING wrong there, first of all he's got a silkie tied round his wrist which indicates he's simply not moved with the times. He's had a few beers before the game and that's fine, but his piss-timing is WAY off, he's no sooner sat down than he's up again. Basically he needs to get back to the basics. Applauding, cheering, abuse etc and Leave the fancy stuff - the shirt off, the tattoos, the 'look at me Sky!', to the Geordies"
Garry Martin
27   Posted 15/08/2011 at 08:12:40

You're a brave man, however, I bet your retirement dos'nt last long.........you'll be back !!
Tony Waring
28   Posted 15/08/2011 at 09:24:44

I have'nt lived in the pool for 15 years but , if anything, I am now more blue than I ever was in spite of the many disappointments over recent years. I see Everton more on the TV than I do in real life because it's a long way to travel. After sixty years I've seen the great and the awful. I bore the hell out of mates in the local who prefer the oblong ball game (how pathetic!) but I'll always see life through blue tinted glasses ( usually pints!)
Dick Fearon
29   Posted 15/08/2011 at 09:38:49

Having served my dues with half a lifetime on cold open terraces and travelling the length and breadth of England on bone shaking corridor less and toilet less 'football specials' plus happy days on the boys pen dthat pre dated BK by a number of years, I am outraged by the suggestion that I might be less of an Evertonian. Although living 12,000 miles away I can relate very well to the experience of Tony W #28.

My wardrobe and that of my Oz based children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren is full of official club merchandise from pre-Hafnia days to the present. I am surrounded on all sides by my collection of Everton mementos, CDs, tapes, books, a calendar, pens, a carpet and blue nose ? not to mention my treasured 1966 FA cup final programme.

Lee Mandaracas
30   Posted 15/08/2011 at 10:21:41

Self indulgent, self important, drama queen bollocks! As soon as a trophy heads towards Goodison Park (as far away as that is likely to be) you will be running back to the pages (probably of a different fansite so they don't know of the abandonment) eulogising how long you have loved and served this great club.

Personally, I just wasted four minutes of my life reading your self-pitying drivel and a further five venting my spleen in response. Get over yourself mate. We all love the club and we are all frustrated by it without exception. Some of us, however, do not wish to throw ourselves farewell parties if we ever choose to abandon it!

P.S. Where do I send the retirement gift???
Eugene Ruane
31   Posted 15/08/2011 at 11:26:35

Paul Kish. The ex-supporter who tells it...LIKE IT IS!.

"Well Lee (number 30) has made a very basic supporter error here. He got halfway down the OP, realised what it was about and instead of just letting it go harmlessly out of play, he's gone in with studs showing. He's then compounded his gaff with A RESPONSE!!. Fact is unless Everton supporters start to eliminate what are basic mistakes, they can't expect any favours. Plus his use of the physically impossible 'get over yourself' doesn't help him either. Come on guys - up your game!!!"
Ernie Baywood
32   Posted 15/08/2011 at 12:30:31

If you'd come on and said you were not suppoting Everton anymore because you can't stand Kenwright, or Moyes negative football, or Anichebe's lack of effort then I'd slate you.

But you're saying you've simply lost that passion for the game and I'm feeling that too. I've never been less interested in the start of a season - or in the pre-season. I'm in a situation where I didn't know who Chelsea's manager was or United's keeper. Just haven't followed a thing since May.

I don't know if it's Everton that's brought on this lack of interest. I guess in past years I've been searching every 10 minutes for transfer whispers and there isn't really much point in that now. Or maybe it's just that football and the average fan have grown apart. Or maybe as you say, I've grown up - though I'd never shown signs of that before.
Peter Bradshaw
33   Posted 15/08/2011 at 12:37:31

I get a bit pissed off when I hear " Oh you live in Oz you not a supporter anymore.

I watch every game live, on a 60 inch screen every week at around 3.00am and I have bought every shirt since 1995.

I have a tattoo on my right arm with the crest and our motto on

Just because I live 12000 miles away doesnt make me any less a supporter
Lee Mandaracas
34   Posted 15/08/2011 at 12:43:08

Congratulations Eugene (number 31) on taking standard, recognised English phraseology and sanctimoniously translating it to literal speech. Is that the best you can do when in preposterous condescending mode?

I made no error and judged as I found - last time I checked that was my right to do when voicing an opinion. You have the right to judge my opinion as I have judged the writer for their self indulgence that helps absolutely no-one but themselves in apparent pursuit of a cathartic expulsion of grief at their tear-filled departure from something they apparently lost love for. Are we to celebrate, commiserate or just simply say "So what?" Personally, I vote for option three. You can vote whichever way you want but don't have the audacity to look down (again, a phrase-built metaphor before you attempt the absurd again in a vein attempt to justify your comments) on me for mine.

As for your apparently shouted (judging by the capitalisation of a word for juvenile emphasis) assertion that I absurdly posted a response - isn't that the very point of these pages. Oh crap! I just did it again and your post was more futile that the original one I responded to. I guess I'd better just go and shoot myself in the face!

Then again, I could always just take your advice and '...up my game' Hold on, that is again physically impossible unless you want me to lift my box of Monopoly to a higher shelf. How to be a self-righteous, sanctimonious, hypocrite!
Lee Mandaracas
35   Posted 15/08/2011 at 12:59:55

Sorry Eugene, I forgot to say one more thing.

"Boom! SFTD."

My work here is done.
Joshua Law
36   Posted 15/08/2011 at 13:02:19

Anthony (#30) you're a bell end. I live in Australia and that doesn't make me any sort of inferior supporter than you. I, like many other Evertonians around the world, would give my left testicle just to go to Goodison let alone watch our team play. You have no idea how difficult it is to follow our great side over here, not only do 2 out of 3 people support the red shite, you have to sit up and watch our team play between the hours of 12am to 5am week in week out without ever really having any possibility to realistically experience match day and then you have to get up for work on Monday. I bet your love wouldn't extend that fair, could you imagine the strain that would put on any relationship/family and then stretch that over 30 years.You have no idea, I simpathise with Paul but could never leave this club, and I never want to. You are born an Evertonian and it is a privilege!
Eugene Ruane
37   Posted 15/08/2011 at 13:15:15

Lee (34)

Er...it was a joke.

Not a GREAT joke but...a joke (and not really at your expense).

I'm getting a mental picture of you holding half a Christmas cracker and a little slip of paper and giving it..

"WHAT chicken SPECIFICALLY are they referring to? It doesn't specify 'THE' chicken or 'THE' road. Are they cathartically waffle blah etc..."

Lee Mandaracas
38   Posted 15/08/2011 at 16:38:43

Eugene 37 - Your entire second paragraph was pointedly aimed at my expense but I guess we don't have to share perspective or tangental sense of humour to share a love of a team. As such, I would gladly analyse my interpretation of a Christmas cracker's contents with you and any other Blue who proudly remains such. Merry, erm, August...?
Mark Murphy
39   Posted 15/08/2011 at 16:58:50

I'm pissed off with football today as well but if I lived close enough to go to Widnes Vikings I'd sure as hell make the extra effort and go to Goodison Park instead!
Anthony Jaras
40   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:10:23

Ha ha ha the keyboard hard men are out in force here.

Who said I was any more a supporter than one living abroad? Not me that's for sure so get some fucking glasses or read what I posted again!

I stated that a person cannot relinquish actual support if they are not actually going to the games.

What exactly is being given up? Watching telly? Bigging up Everton online and in conversations?

WHAT?

Those who have had a go, put your fucking dummies back in and stop being so menstrual!!!
Anthony Jaras
41   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:16:06

Mark, I went for ten years, alone. Kids, money and work commitments have finally put paid to my season ticket.
Anthony Jaras
42   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:20:17

In my eyes, there are fans and there are supporters. Fans support the team from afar, watching games on telly, online etc, buying the shirts and fighting the Blues corner in debates.

Supporters sit in Goodison Park on most matchdays, supporting vocally and physically.

I was a supporter for twenty years.

Now I am more of a fan due to other priorities.

No big deal.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
43   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:30:24

Can we please back off on the condemnation of other fans' support of the club?

We are all Evertonians, no matter how we chose to support our club, and no matter what circumstances or constraints we live under. Please remember that.
Anthony Jaras
44   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:36:54

I wasn't condemning anyone Michael, I was merely asking what exactly was being retired. I know there are fans afar, I also know that there are people that go all the games.....neither are better or worse than the other.

My question, before everyone saw red was "What is being given up?"

Telly watching, shirt buying or even checking results? It was a genuine and fair question. I wasn't having a go, just stating a point.
Mark Stone
45   Posted 15/08/2011 at 17:55:28

Anthony Jaras raises a good point, what exactly are you giving up? Even if I stopped going to games I couldn't just stop caring because EFC is a huge part of me. It's an emotional attachment that even if I wanted to drop, I couldn't. If you don't get that then I don't think you've ever been a blue. Born not manufactured. Not a loss.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
46   Posted 15/08/2011 at 18:24:07

It was more of a general plea, Anthony, I was not picking on you. I read your first post and thought it was reasonable, as you rightly say. It's the reactions of some others, calling you a bellend, etc, that are unhelpful and which I'd like to discourage.

I hold a strong position on anything that attempts to classify or quantify the support any individual Evertonian provides. As an independent website for ALL Evertonians, we uphold the position that each of us is free and independent to support the club in our own way, without the nature or degree of our support being judged, questioned or doubted by other Evertonians.

Now even I can see that may be a little idealistic in some situations, but hopefully most of you can agree it represents an ideal that we as fans/supporters sharing a common interest can aspire to?
Matthew Lovekin
47   Posted 15/08/2011 at 20:12:53

Ernie (32) - that's exactly how I feel.

I lost interest in international football after the last World Cup.

I've shown very little or completely no interest in this (pre)season.

I'm struggling with Everton but sure I will carry on being a supporter, because they are in my blood. I can't stop supporting them, it's not that easy.

Now my interest in Everton is limited to each individual match. I don't look at the league table, I don't care about how other teams are doing. It's just Everton on a match by match basis. Simple.
Steve Smith
48   Posted 15/08/2011 at 21:18:19

He'll be back when we're top of the league going into our game against the shite in October.
John Ford
49   Posted 15/08/2011 at 21:53:17

I've thought football has been dying for a number of years, at least as a competitive sport. The OP reflects this change. Top English football is now complete shite, but I won't be giving up Everton, as much as that actually irritates me.
Mark Murphy
50   Posted 16/08/2011 at 12:22:22

Ok Anthony, you sound in a similar position to me but add 300 miles each way on that! My missus's main objection to me when I discuss "coming home" to the northwest is not the uprouting of our kids from school or her having to find another job or having to eat black puddings and scouse but the fact that she knows I'd spend her housekeeping on the match!

I'm disenchanted too but I lost count of the Saturday evening rants in the 70s and early 80s when I swore I would not waste another penny on that shower of shite only to proclaim us by far the greatest team etc by closing time Saturday night!

It's a drug and I personally, can't "resign" but neither would I be able to spend my money on Saints (my home town team) rather than go to Goodison, albeit less frequently!

Anthony Doran
51   Posted 16/08/2011 at 13:51:58

The 'Fan' Vs 'Supporter' is very (un)interesting. Hard to distinguish and quite pointless too as you either follow a club or you dont. Im another oversees Evertonian thats never been to Goodison, my main way of following-supporting-being a fan of Everton is by watching them on the TV, buying useful/useless things associated to Everton and I think the most important one of all is being virtually the only person sitting in a pub full of Liverpool/Utd fans during a game against Everton wearing my COYB top and going pretty nuts when we score/win. shame that dont happen as often as sit should