Season 2011-12

What would you do

37 Comments: First  |  Last

Next week is the last game of the season and, depending on results, we will either finish 7th or 9th.

So you are asked to be the interim chairman till a new owner is found. The question is: What decisions do you make? The manager has said he wants to do his transfer business early and he doesn't want to sell any of his first-team squad.

Seeing as the banks won't lend the club any money and the other directors don't intend putting any money into the club, what do you do?

Oh and just to compound your problem, we have Pienaar on loan from Spurs; if you don't sign him, the fans will be in revolt.

So... any ideas how you would deal with the situation?

Brian Harrison, Liverpool     Posted 07/05/2012 at 09:31:39

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Frank Duffy
370   Posted 07/05/2012 at 14:28:50

Matbe Moyes should call the Board's bluff and put all the players up for sale and see what the reaction is. He has nothing to loose. No money - no new players so we will struggle to finish 7th/9th again.

When I was a lad finishing first and/or a cup was the bottom line.

How our expections have been lowered.

Somewhat depressed!!!!!
David Stewart
373   Posted 07/05/2012 at 14:26:51

First of all, I'd sack Moyes ? that should save about £3mill a year. Then I'd get the dross off the wage bill (you know who you are). Then I'd flog the so-called superstars, that should bring in enough to clean out the debt and with a little bit left over.

Then I'd get Ranneri in and tell him "this will be the greatest challenge of your life"... no Piennar though: the Spuds want him back. This would cause such a sensation worldwide that everyone would want to be associated with us: "Ranneri's Babes" ? got a good ring to it!

What d'yer mean, "It's a load of bollox?" ? you started it! Billy boy ain't going anywhere so you'd better get used to it. The only ones not on the Goodison gravytrain are the fans and the poor Toffee Lady.
Norman Merrill
375   Posted 07/05/2012 at 14:54:02

Those comments are made by Moyes every end of season, and into the pre-season.
Nothing changes.
We are a selling club. If price is right.
Paul David
376   Posted 07/05/2012 at 14:55:14

Sack Moyes by txt and tell him not bother coming back to collect this things as they've been used to make an effigy of him then burnt.Punch club mouth piece Neville,tell him he's shit and to fuck off.Use Cahill as bait for in a swap deal for anyone.Finally sue Anichebe to get back 7 years worth of wages.
Denis Richardson
379   Posted 07/05/2012 at 14:59:05

I would get rid of Moyes, Neville, Cahill, Macfadden, Straq, Drenthe, Anichebe (even on frees, happy just to have them off the wage bill).

Sell Jagielka and Fellaini for approx 30m (hopefully).

Bring in a new manager (pay him about 1m a year max) and tell him to concentrate on bringing in youth and free transfers to bolster the squad size, (need a good minimum 5-6 new faces from the 100+ players on a free at the end of this season).

He can use some of the transfer cash to bring in 2 decent players for about 8-10m each (2nd striker and right mid a priority if not already gotten on a free). Also sign Pienaar permanently for not more than we paid Spurs.

Use 10m of the transfer cash to pay down debt....simples init!

Oh and almost forgot, sack Steve Round aswell or offer him the Under 11s coaching spot!
David Stewart
380   Posted 07/05/2012 at 15:11:15

Denis, what bad things have the Under-11s been up to, to deserve this punishment?
Shaun Brennan
383   Posted 07/05/2012 at 15:29:53

I'd also make sure they sell decent ale in the ground!
Steve Pugh
385   Posted 07/05/2012 at 15:44:26

I think I get the jist of this. I would buy a Euromillions ticket that wins £100m, which I would then take to monte carlo and bet on 32 red, which will obviously win netting the club £3200m (I think). I would then use this money to build a new ground on the site of the Liver Building, keeping the iconic birds, which I would copyright forcing the RS to change their badge. I would then buy the entire Barcelona first team and the Real Madrid first team just to see who is right about Moyes.

Oh yeah, and I'd make sure they sold good beer and pies in the ground.
Ian Glassey
388   Posted 07/05/2012 at 15:52:36

Good shout Shaun.

A decent pint would be a start.
Then get shut of Big Vic, Osman, Mucha, Mcfadden, Strac, Baxter,Cahill, Drenthe, Hibbert, Neville and Round.

Get two young speedy wingers in, get Pienaar and a second striker. Give Rodwell till January to shape up,
if he doesnt get shut...
Matt Traynor
389   Posted 07/05/2012 at 16:17:46

Ian #388, surely you'd want to keep Drenthe. With all the stories floating on another thread, he'd keep your pint topped up by the sounds of things!
Sam Hoare
390   Posted 07/05/2012 at 16:10:06

I like Steve's scenario the best...Think the rest of you might be getting us relegated.
John Ford
392   Posted 07/05/2012 at 16:33:26

It occurs to me that we got to January in something of a crisis, ageing players, no money ,poor form, no striker to speak of,

Under pressure Kenwrights hand was forced and Moyes played a blinder with Gibson Piennar and Jellovich. I cant see a way in which we can add to our squad without selling the very players which turned us into a good side.

So in answer to the question........yep, beer and pies!
Mike Allison
395   Posted 07/05/2012 at 17:01:59

Steve Pugh gets my vote, the rest of you, well, thank God for Moyes and Kenwright if those are the alternatives.
James Stewart
396   Posted 07/05/2012 at 17:04:33

We won't get anywhere with selling first so its better to just bite the bullet and get on with it. Fellaini, Jagielka or whoever. If a sizeable bid comes in we would be stupid not to take it.
Barry Rathbone
397   Posted 07/05/2012 at 16:39:02

I'd work on the basis we weren't going to get a buyer till the finances were sorted.

I'd tell the fans, players and management this is the path with all the issues it brings.

We WILL sell players at the right money and go for youth and players of potential because we either deal with the root cause of our problems or continue the slow death.

Moyes would probably go simply because our managers salary should be no more than 1.75 million and I just couldn't see him standing for it.

The most important thing would be giving the club leadership whoever come in as manager would have to be a builder of teams perhaps a larger than life Di Canio type. But one thing Pardew has shown is just because your CV ain't the greatest doesn't mean you can't succeed.

To be brave and honest would raise this club and unite the fans, I think we're at rock bottom if we ended up relegated I still think 30k would turn up - if there was hope and a vision the old place would fill again.
Peter Thistle
401   Posted 07/05/2012 at 17:28:57

Take all the matchday gate receipt money for 1 game and put it on a horse. Got nothin to lose.
Ray Said
406   Posted 07/05/2012 at 18:08:52

Denis (379) thats now known as 'the Newcastle strategy).
Peter Foy
428   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:18:44

If I was the interim chairman, I'd sell Goodison for £10m to reduce the Prudential securitisation and lease it back. I'd also put an agreement in place for the stadium buyer to commit to a phased re-development over 5 seasons. As each phase is completed, the rent goes up to reflect increased investment in the stadium. The reason I'd do this is to increase the attractiveness of "Everton Football Club Co. Ltd" to be sold without the need for a buyer to find the money to re-develop the stadium.

I'd be up front with the fans and tell them the plan, that will involve selling some quality players if the right offer comes in.
Matt Traynor
430   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:51:13

Peter #428, how do you sell Goodison for £10m when it isn't worth that? Also, how would you pay back the 14 mortgages on it that amount to more than that £10m supposing you could?
Bobby Mallon
432   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:36:48

I would buy the best player from the Far East, America, Middle East Australia, and would then play them every week and get us as much worldwide publicity as possible.
Dave Charles
433   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:49:36

That is great post Brian to start a debate. However, in fairness to myself and people at the club I will keep my thoughts to myself as the Anfield Derby and FA Cup display are still deep rooted in my memory box and may influence what I may post.
Mark Riding
434   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:58:35

Peter, we are running out of 'quality players' to sell..
We have some potential quality, I give you that, but for the big money sales that have kept us afloat over the last few years ( Rooney, Lescott, Arteta.. ) we are left with 5 (off the top of my head) that are worth big money, and those 5 are critical players to keep us in the league, nevermind in buisness.
Ian Bennett
435   Posted 07/05/2012 at 19:59:34

How does it cost a builder to build a standard house for £80 to £100k, but you ask them to build a new stadium and it's £200m, £800m if it's Wembley?

Peter Foy
436   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:13:12

Ok Matt, sell it for what it?s worth and speak to the institutions who have money secured against Goodison and promote the idea to them.
They could even finance the new deal and development?

The objective would be to separate the on field assets and Everton brand from the commercial fixed assets (stadium, training ground). Aren?t Rangers doing something like this?
If there is a way to do this, doesn?t it make the club a much more attractive investment as the stadium issue seems to always be the stumbling block to any buyer?
Brian Harrison
437   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:08:39

I wish I knew the answer to the question I asked but as I suspected most fall into 2 categories. First, sell to pay off the debts and hope that having no debt will induce a buyer.

Secondly, the other posters say hang on to our players and hope a new buyer can be found quickly.

We're really, as all the posters suggest, between a rock and a hard place, with no hope of a quick release from that position.
Matt Traynor
438   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:15:54

Brian #427 that brings us back to the inevitable question of what is the debt? All published figures have it around the £45m mark, chicken feed compared to some clubs.

Some speculate there is off-balance sheet debt. Some even go as far to suggest there is personal debt from the retailing Tottenham fan.

I'm sure there would be buyers if the club was sold for the value of the debt. And that is where I repeat, having no committed plans for a new stadium, particularly an identikit in a far flung retail park, would be an advantage. The question then becomes why are they asking so much? Anything upwards of £100m to £180m according to various sources.
Ian Bennett
439   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:17:52

Peter - that sounds like the Ricoh solution, which Coventry rent. Don't know a huge amount of detail but they got relegated and seem to have a grudge over their solution.

The only real solution is Everton do a deal with Peel Holdings. They seem to have all the land in Liverpool after buying out Mersey Docks and Harbours, and are able to do developments like Trafford Centre etc. Might have an issue with working with our clowns... (What is the latest on the self-funding construction on the car park?)
Ian Bennett
440   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:23:39

Matt - Lets assume some of the board borrowed the funds, and lets assume its the compound interest rolling up on the debt.

To want anything over net assets for something loss making and no realistic solution but to build a new stadium at a huge outlay to create the income to make it self funding, is crazy.
Michael Kenrick
443   Posted 07/05/2012 at 20:37:46

Ian (#435), let's say your average house holds 10 people in relative comfort, and your average new stadium 50,000. 5,000 multiplier.

Now the tricky bit: 5,000 x £100k = £500M. Simples.
Mark Pierpoint
446   Posted 07/05/2012 at 21:00:04

Hopefully we will finish 7th, lets assume that we have budgeted for 17th ( i think that was always the deal a few years ago?) that should leave us with a surplus for Pienaar. If not, then we have to look at who can go. All clubs employ agents so i would test the water on the periphery, the only player with any worth would be Jagielka really.

If we can get Pienaar i would look at a RM a la Drenthe on loan. Could go either way, but at worst you end up paying a drenthe figure for a few months until his contract expires.

I would look at sorting the ticketing arrangements, get the spare tickets into local schools etc, and start building a future fan base. Or sell tickets for restricted views by the seat maybe, charge a reduced amount. Ten quid for any of the seats, but you have to buy on day of the match? will at least get the average attendance up?

I would look at renewing Moyes; contact, but tell him it will need a 50% reduction in salary, it has been done in other lines of work, BBC for example with the economic climate. I don't think he would get it elsewhere anyway so call his bluff. If he doesn't want it look, shake hands, and look for the long term at a Solksjear figure or a Brian McDermott to rebuild the ageing squad
Ian Bennett
449   Posted 07/05/2012 at 21:19:51

Michael £200m seems a bargain then, where do I sign.
Gary Cummins
460   Posted 07/05/2012 at 22:05:53

Surely the first thing to do is to open the books so everyone knows how things stand. I would then ask for an evertonian accountant / solicitor to ask what grounds have I got for suing Bill and co for mismanagement / theft (if appropriate).

Next is look at all the mortgages outstanding and renegociate them all.

Then I would recruit a team to tell me how to redevelop goodison into a 60,000 plus stadium Giving a guarentee of a free season tickets to all under 16s accompanied by an adult or £50 pounds for those kids coming by themselves - but they get a free programme for every game they attend. The proviso being that they must register now. This would demonstrate to investers the size of the potential fan base acting as a lure to bring them in.

I would them take a hard look at the squad, decide what was needed before the window opened and then get them in.

I would then give the club to anyone who had 5 billion in the bank and who promised to spend it all on the blues (hang on isn't that Bill's plan!)
Peter Davies
531   Posted 08/05/2012 at 09:33:34

Type or paste your comment here. No txt-speak, please try to use proper grammar, all-lowercase posts are likely to be deleted
Peter Davies
532   Posted 08/05/2012 at 09:34:30

I think I'd just go back to sniffin' glue!
Andy Callan
547   Posted 08/05/2012 at 10:35:57

3 things

1. We've got no money...
2. We've got no money...
3. We've got no money...

Only decisions that will be made will be to see how much we can get for Rug Head, Jella & Baines.
Jason Lam
551   Posted 08/05/2012 at 10:55:09

First thing is to sack David Moyes so I gain my sanity back.

Then rebuild Goodison into an entertainment hub, "The Donut", corporate hospitality facilities with the bit of grass in the middle. It will be leased to fashion boutiques, cinemas, daycare centers, restaurants, karaoke, hotels, just about anything to keep our sore eyes off the morbid crap on offer in the center. Install blinds if needed. Six days out of seven we will have concerts on the grass with Lady Gaga and Madonna. We will no longer be in competition with the shite but the O2 and Royal Albert Hall for concerts. Profit.
Peter Davies