Skip to Main Content
Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Everton Under-19s, 1999-2000

A complete record of Everton's Under-19 Team in the FA Premier Youth League, 
where they reached the Playoff Quarterfinals



Results A record of Everton's Under-19 matches for the season
League Setup  An explanation of the Under-19 League setup
League Table  Everton are probably near the top of Group B
Match Details  Teamsheets and brief reports for each match
Appearances  An table of U-19 appearances and goals
Friendlies Results from U-19 friendly matches in 1999



     Date    Ven Opponents           Result  Pos   Scorers                             

August 1999 

     Sat 28  (h) Sheffield Wednesday  W 2-0  1st  Southern (pen), Osman 


     Sat  4  (a) Barnsley             D 1-1  2nd  McLeod
     Sat 11  (h) Leeds United         W 3-1  1st  Dempsey, Southern, Howarth
     Sat 18  (a) Newcastle United     W 4-0  1st  McKay, O'Hanlon, Howarth, McLeod
     Sat 25  (h) Aston Villa          W 1-0  1st  Chadwick


     Sat 16  (h) Manchester United    D 1-1  1st  Howarth
     Sat 23  (a) Manchester City      D 0-0  1st  
     Sat 30  (a) Sunderland           W 2-1  1st  Howarth, McLeod


     Sat  6  (h) Crew Alexandra       W 3-1  1st  Osman (pen), Howarth, Dempsey
     Tue 16  (a) Bolton Wanderers     W 3-1  1st  Curran, Chadwick, Eaton
     Sat 20  (a) Blackburn Rovers     W 2-1  1st  Chadwick, Knowles
     Fri 26  (h) Liverpool            L 2-4  2nd  Osman, Dempsey

December 1999

     Sat  4  (a) Manchester United    L 0-2  3rd  
     Sat 11  (h) Manchester City      L 0-1  5th  
     Fri 17  (a) Liverpool            W 1-0  4th  Osman

January 2000

     Sat 22  (a) Crew Alexandra       W 3-0  4th  Southern, Howarth, Osman
     Sat 29  (h) Middlesbrough        W 3-0  3rd  Dempsey, Southern, Hogg


     Sat  5  (h) Bolton Wanderers     W 2-0  2nd  Chadwick, Eaton
     Sat 12  (h) Blackburn Rovers     L 0-2  2nd  
     Sat 19  (a) Coventry City        W 3-2  2nd  Howarth 3
     Sat 26  (a) Huddersfield Town    L 1-4  2nd  Chadwick


     Sat  4  (h) Stoke City           W 1-0  2nd  


     Sat 25  (h) Tottenham Hotspur    W 1-0  R 1  Howarth


     Sat  1  (h) Sheffield Wednesday  W 2-0  R 2  Osman, McLeod
     Sat  8  (a) Arsenal              L 0-2  R 3  

May 1998

Home games are at Bellefield.

 Friendlies and Other U-19 Team Matches

Pre-Season Friendlies, 1999
     Day  Date   Ven Opponents            Result  Scorers                              
     Wed 28 Jul  (h) Wrexham              W 11-1  (see below)
     Sat  7 Aug  (h) Peterborough United  W  4-1  Southern  3, Howarth
     Tue 10 Aug  (a) Tranmere Rovers      W  5-2  Chadwick 3, Penman, D Eaton
     Sat 14 Aug  (h) Blackburn Rovers     W  2-1  (N/A)


Clubs in the FA Premier Youth Academy League at Under-19 Level are split up into five regional groups:

Group A (NE)    Group B (NW)     Group C (Mid)  Group D (S1)  Group E (S2)
Barnsley        Blackburn Rvrs   Aston Villa    Arsenal       Charlton Ath
Huddersfield T  Bolton Wndrs     Birmingham C   Bristol City  Ipswich Town
Leeds United    Crewe Alexandra  Coventry City  Chelsea       Norwich
Middlesbrough   Everton          Derby County   Crystal Pal   Queens Pk Rngrs
Newcastle Utd   Liverpool        Leicester C    Fulham        Tottenham Hotspur
Sheffield Wed   Manchester Utd   Notts Forest   Millwall      Watford   
Sunderland      Manchester City  Peterborough   Reading       West Ham Utd
Stoke City      

The season starts with some inter-group matches against teams from the closest (geographically) regional groups.  For Everton, that means a game with each of four teams in Group A, plus one in Group C.

For the main part of the season, Everton play each of the other teams in the local Group B, both home and away.  They then finish up playing each of the remaining teams in Group A just once, plus another team from Group C, giving 22 matches in all.  Depending on their position in the regional Group table, Everton should them progress to the national playoffs.

 GROUP B TABLE, 1999-2000

Club                 P    W   D   L   GF   GA  Pts  
Blackburn Rovers    21   14   5   2   53   18   47  
Everton             22   14   3   5   38   22   45  
Liverpool           20   11   3   6   43   30   36  
Manchester United   21   10   5   6   44   21   35  
Manchester City     19   10   1   8   37   29   31  
Crewe Alexandra     21    7   7   7   28   33   28  
Bolton Wanderers    21    3   2  16   18   55   11  

Top four go forward to the National Playoffs


The section below contains team details, scorers, and brief match reports for all Everton Under-19 matches during the 1999-2000 Season.

 Everton 2 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

U-19 League Match No 1:
Saturday 28 August 1999

Bellefield, West Derby, Liverpool

Everton: Delaney; Hogg, Price, Pilkington, Clarke, Hibbert, Southern, Osman, Howarth, McAlpine (McKay), McLeod (Dempsey).
Subs not used: Wright, Kearney, Chadwick. Scorers: Southern (pen), Osman.

Keith Southern converted a first half penalty after striker Carl Howarth had been brought down by the Wednesday goalkeeper, then Leon Osman added a second half strike. But coach Colin Harvey believed the scoreline could have been much more convincing.

"It was a very good performance from the boys," he said. "I was very happy with them. The only disappointment was that we didn't score anything like the goals we should have done.

"It could have been five, six or even seven. We hit the woodwork a couple of times, their goalkeeper made some good saves and our finishing wasn't as clinical as it could have been. But we were still pleased with the result."

Kevin McLeod won the Man of the Match honours for Everton with an outstanding display.

 Barnsley 1 - 1 Everton

U-19 League Match No 2:
Saturday 4 September 1999

Barnsley Academy

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Clarke, Hibbert {Capt}, Southern, Osman (42' Dempsey), Howarth (67' Eaton), McAlpine (59' McKay), McLeod.
Subs not used: Knowles, Wright. Scorers: McLeod (12'). Att: 200

Steve Milne Everton's second U-19 FA Premier Youth League game was today played at Barnsley's brand new academy complex. It was their first ever game played on the pitch and the first time I have ever sat in a stand watching this level of football (if only poor Ray Hall was given the money our academy requires...)

Everton started quite well, the first real chance coming after 8 mins with a Tony Hibbert speculative 30-yard shot that just sneaked past the post. Four minutes later the midfield got the ball out wide to McLeod who cut in from the wing, had a shot which the keeper saved but the rebound hit a Barnsley defender and went in!

The game then became a midfield battle, with the tackles flying in. This resulted in the yellow card shown to McLeod in the 27th min. Two mins later, Barnsley came back with a goal; it came from a short corner half-cleared, headed back into the box, a foot stuck at the ball... Dempsey thought he had cleared it off the line, but the linesman said that it was a goal.

The only other chance was from Southern, who on half-time saw the keeper off his line and, let fly from some 25 yds out, but the ball just hit the top of the bar.

Half-time: Barnsley 1 - 1 Everton

The second half was again played in the midfield, hard but fair most of the time. Everton should of had a penalty in the 53rd minute, when Dempsey was brought down; not given. The Blues had only two other real chances in the remaining 40 mins. The first fell to Mckay, who should have done better from 8 yards out. The second one was from McLeod who hit the woodwork from the edge of the box.

Barnsley on the other hand had two chances in 30 seconds, one saved by the chin on Hogg, the other was saved by the woodwork.

 Everton 3 - 1 Leeds United

U-19 League Match No 3:
Saturday 11 September 1999

Bellefield, West Derby, Liverpool

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Price, Knowles, O'Hanlon, Southern, McKay, Dempsey, Howarth, McAlpine, Pilkington.
Subs: Hogg, Eaton, Kearney, Valentine, Chadwick. Scorers: Dempsey, Southern, Howarth.

Richard Marland  Everton dominated the match but converted only a fraction of their chances. Republic of Ireland Under-18 Gary Dempsey opened the scoring with the aid of a slight deflection, then Keith Southern failed with an attempt from the penalty spot.

In the second half Dempsey turned creator sliding a neat pass through for strike partner Carl Howarth to round the 'keeper and make it 2-0.

Keith Southern made amends for his penalty miss by getting the third after he broke from midfield before sliding the perfect finish into the far corner.

Leeds pulled back a consolation goal with 10 minutes left but Colin Harvey was satisfied with the display. "It was a good all-round performance with some good build up play. Once again the only problem was not scoring enough goals. We created plenty of chances and Keith Southern and Gary Dempsey both played particularly well".

Particularly encouraging for the blues was the fact that we fielded a younger than usual side with Peter Clark, Tony Hibbert and Kevin McLeod all rested after playing for the reserves in midweek.

 Newcastle United 0 - 4 Everton

U-19 League Match No 4:
Saturday 18 September 1999
Graham Sports Centre, Durham University

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Pilkington, Clarke, O'Hanlon, Hibbert, McKay, Dempsey (88' McAlpine), Howarth (80' Chadwick), Southern {Capt}, McLeod.
Subs not used: Wright, Knowles, Kearney. Scorers: McKay (4'), O'Hanlon (6'), Howarth (13'), McLeod (42')

Steve Milne Everton used the strong wind to full advantage, maintaining their unbeaten run to go 1-0 up inside 4 minutes. The goal came from a throw-in with Dempsey performing an acrobatic overhead kick into the 6-yd box, where Newcastle's abysmal defence left an easy opening for Everton's 250,000 signing from Chester City, Matt McKay, to score.

Two minutes little, Dempsey was again the provider, laying the ball into the heart of the Newcastle defence which failed to react, leaving O'Hanlon a perfect opportunity to score. By this time, the Newcastle defence was falling apart, with players squabbling amongst themselves as to who was to blame.

Seven minutes later, Dempsey was again involved in an Everton goal. His shot was saved by the keeper, but it fell to McLeod on the edge of the area whose snap-shot took a deflection, leaving the keeper nowhere.

Just before half-time, Everton were 4-0 up. Again, it was down to Dempsey's through-ball to McLeod from midfield. The young winger ran a full 20-30 yds, to the byline and delivered a tremendous cross into the box, which the Newcastle defence once again failed to clear and Howarth reaped the reward, hitting the roof of the net with his shot.

Everton really should have had at least five more goals, with Howarth having a shot well saved by the keeper, Dempsey having two clear chances, McKay's shot again saved by the keeper and Southern having a free header just go over the bar with inches to spare.

Half time: Newcastle United 0 - 4 Everton

Newcastle must have had a stern talking-to at half-time as they came out a little more organised but not much. Even though Everton didn't increase the scoreline, they did create some excellent chances. O'Hanlon hit the cross bar from a free kick; Dempsey had two excellent 30-yd shots one of which was held up by the wind and, with the keeper doing a spot of semaphore, hit the top of the crossbar.

Our best chance of the second half, came from Dempsey, who was without question Everton's Man of the Match.

 Everton 1 - 0 Aston Villa

U-19 League Match No 5:
Saturday 25 September 1999

Bellefield, West Derby, Liverpool

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Southern {Capt}, Kearney (60' McKay), Osman (70' Clarke), Howarth (80' Chadwick), Dempsey, McLeod.
Subs not used: Hogg, Curran. Scorer: Chadwick (89')

Andrew Conway Everton's Under-19 Youth Academy side remained unbeaten this season with a 1-0 victory over Aston Villa. Everton dominated the first 45 mins playing some beautiful one-touch football, in which the Everton midfield were in control throughout.

In central midfield ,captain Keith Southern won possession for the young blues with a series of crisp tackles, and interceptions, allowing the lively Leon Osman to spray the ball around. The central midfield duo often combined well to play the ball through for the speedy left midfielder McLeod to attack the Villa right back.

McLeod tormented the Villa defence throughout, putting in a couple of great crosses, on which the Everton forwards unfortunately failed to get a touch.

Half-time: Everton 0 - 0 Aston Villa

In the second half, Everton still dominated the game. Blues keeper Delaney who was celebrating his call up to the Republic of Ireland U21 squad was never really troubled by the West Midlands outfit.  The defence in front of him was marshalled superbly by centre-half David Knowles. The midfield did knock the ball around well, as well as they had done in the first half.

Former Chester City midfielder Matt McKay replaced Kearney on the right hand side of midfield after 60 mins. After 70 mins Peter Clarke replaced Leon Osman. Clarke, who usually operates in the centre of defence, played upfront alongside Carl Howarth, with Gary Dempsey dropping back into a midfield role.

With 10 mins left, young striker Chadwick replaced Howarth up front. As the game looked like ending in a 0-0 draw, 1st-year trainee Nicky Chadwick poked the ball home from close range past England Youth goalkeeper Matthew Ghent to give the Blues an 89th minute winner, thus preserving our 100% home record.

Everton's' man of the Match was McLeod who caused the Villa defence problems all morning, with his constant runs at them. Everton U19's have now played 5 games, winning 4 and drawing 1, giving them 13 points out of 15.

 Everton 1 - 1 Manchester United

U-19 League Match No 6:
Saturday 16 October 1999
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, Clarke, Knowles, Southern, Dempsey, O'Hanlon, Howarth, Osman, McLeod.
Subs: McKay, Kearney, Curran, Chadwick, Valentine. Scorers: Howarth.

By a friend of Steve Milne In a first half that saw both teams share an equal amount of possession, it was Everton who were the more penetrative side, creating more chances than United. United tended to have possession by playing the ball square a great deal and when the ball was played forward, the Everton back four dealt with it easily.

Everton opened the scoring after 15 mins, when a ball whipped in from the right side was met by Howarth, just ahead of the defender, who guided the ball into the roof of the net.

Half time: Everton 1 - 0 Manchester United

This saw more forward play from United and eventually they equalised when a ball broke to Webber and he slotted the ball past Delaney. Overall, Everton would be disappointed they didn't take all 3 points from this game.

 Manchester City 0 - 0 Everton

U-19 League Match No 7:
Saturday 23 October 1999 
Platt Lane, Manchester

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Hibbert (60' Chadwick), Southern, Osman, Howarth, Dempsey, McLeod (56' McAlpine).
Subs not used: Kearney, Hogg, Valentine. Scorers: None

Steve Milne  Everton today maintained their unbeaten run this season in what can only be described as a below-par performance from this youthful side. It was like watching a couple of boxers sizing themselves up in the ring, every now and again throwing a left or a right hook. In the first half in particular, the City keeper was the busier of the two.

Everton created four chances in the first 45 mins.

  • Osman after 10 mins had a shot slide past the post.
  • McLeod had a cross met by Southern in the 15th min.
  • Dempsey and Howarth combined on the edge of the box for a nice one-two movement with Howarth's header off-target;
  • and finally McLeod again, crossing the ball for young Osman to head wide in the 25th min.

Everton's keeper Delaney was only really tested once, when he comfortably dealt with the threat.

Half-time: Manchester City 0 - 0 Everton

The second half started where the first one left, only this time we had seven chances. Dempsey had a couple of attempts, the best being in the 56th min in the box, when he turned and shot just over the bar. Southern had a 20 yd shot. Osman ran at the defence beating a couple of their defenders and had a resulting shot, again over the bar.

Colin Harvey tried to change the tactics by bringing on McAlpine for McLeod in the 56th min and then Chadwick in the 60th minute for Hibbert. McAlpine had a chance which came from a corner, half-cleared by the City defence, which fell to him on the edge of the box but he was leaning back as he shot and consequently it would have been 4 points for Wigan!!!

Everton could have won the game in the last couple of minutes. Howarth pounced on a brilliant through ball from Chadwick beating the offside trap. As he advanced, the keeper came out and made a save that kept the scoreline even.

Overall, not the best U19 performance this season, but it is always difficult playing Man City. Over the past few years, games at Platt Lane have normally ended 9 a-side. It was a nice change not to see a dirty game.

 Sunderland 1 - 2 Everton

U-19 League Match No 8:
Saturday 30 October 1999
Charlie Hurley Centre, Sunderland

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Hibbert, Southern, Osman, Howarth, Dempsey (82' Chadwick), McLeod.
Subs not used: Hogg, Kearney, Valentine, Curran. Scorers: Howarth, McLeod.

Steve Milne  As the first team were playing in Middlesbrough that afternoon, we took advantage of a small detour en route, to take in the U-19 game at Sunderland. This was somewhat off the beaten track, but after asking 4 men and their dogs, we finally found the venue.

Everton's unbeaten run continued today with a 2-1 victory over Sunderland on a cold and extremely windy day. It took the Blues almost half an hour to finally get into gear. McLeod picking up a loose ball from a dithering Sunderland defence, cut into the box and shot into the side netting. Two minutes later, McLeod again, found himself with possession on the corner of the 6-yd box. His shot-cum-cross, again failed.

However, in the 35th min, McLeod's reward came from Wright's ball over the defence and found McLeod, whose close control was able to beat the defence and coolly put the ball past the keeper. By this time, Everton were totally dominant. Howarth ran at Sunderland, pulling the ball back into the 6-yd box but unfortunately, there wasn't a blue shirt to be seen. Just before half time, Knowles headed just over the bar from a corner.

Half-time: Sunderland 0 - 1 Everton

In the second half, Sunderland came out with all guns blazing. In the first 10 mins, they hit the Everton post and scored their equalizer, from a corner. Everton had to endure another 15 mins or so of pressure and then found the correct gear to turn the tables.

McLeod had a chance just over the hour mark. Ten mins later, Howarth scored the winning goal with a move involving (believe it or not) McLeod, who found Osman in the box, whose turn left the defender standing. He lay the ball into the path of the oncoming Howarth, whose shot almost broke the back of the net. Everton made a substitution in the 82nd min: Chadwick on for Dempsey, who had run himself into the ground.

It was nice to see John Oster and Gavin McCann, who both stayed behind after first team training to take in the game and chat with their former colleagues.

 Everton 3 - 1 Crewe Alexandra

U-19 League Match No 9:
Saturday 6 November 1999
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Hibbert (80' Kearney), Southern (Capt), Osman, Howarth, Dempsey, Curran.
Subs not used: Hogg, Valentine, McKay, Chadwick. Scorers: Osman (pen), Howarth, Dempsey.

Steve Milne Everton's' excellent U-19 side continued this season's unbeaten run with an emphatic 3-1 victory on a cold and blustery morning at Bellefield in front of about 125 ardent souls. The Blues' first attack came after 21 seconds with Howarth who was Everton's best player of the day having a shot that went over the bar.

In fact, most of the first 45 mins was dominated by blue shirts.  Knowles had a header cleared off the line in the 14th minute. Howarth on 19 mins, had an 18-yd shot tipped over the bar by the Crewe keeper. A minute later, centre-half Knowles again had a header from a corner, go over the bar.

By this time, the Crewe defence must have thought they were at the Alamo. Southern had a shot saved by the keeper, then in the 25th min, a defensive error let Howarth in, whose shot somehow was again saved and pushed around the post.

All Everton's' hard work came to fruition in the 28th minute, when Howarth was brought down in the box for a clear penalty. Up stepped Osman, to blast the ball into the top left-hand corner. Everton went in at half time 1-0 up when really the scoreline should have been a lot more.

Half Time: Everton 1 - 0 Crewe Alexandra

It started where the first left off, with Everton in control. In the 57th min, Curran had a shot on the edge of the box which once again, went over the bar. Then Howarth's hard work in the first hour was rewarded with a goal. Hibbert had a shot saved by the keeper who was unable to take control of the ball and Howarth, 6 yds out, couldn't fail to score.

Five minutes later, Dempsey rattled the bar with a 20-yd shot. In the 73rd minute, Everton's Pilkington gave away a penalty and Crewe's Grant (no relation to Tony) clawed a goal back.

Ten minutes before the end, Colin Harvey made an enforced substitution: off went Hibbert and on came Kearney. Everton's' third and final goal came just before full time with a move involving Howarth who laid the ball from midfield to Dempsey who rounded the keeper to score.

Next up: A tough game away at Bolton which will be played at Accrington Stanley on the 16th November.

 Bolton Wanderers 1 - 3 Everton

U-19 League Match No 10:
Tuesday 16 November 1999
Crown Ground, Accrington Stanley

Everton: Delaney (83' Mannus), Hogg, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Southern (capt), McKay, Kearney, Chadwick, Eaton, Curran.
Subs not used: Valentine, Tuft, Wright, Price. Scorers: Curran, Chadwick, Eaton. Ref: Mr A B Oldham. Att: 40

Steve Milne Everton kept their unbeaten run intact through a hard fought 3-1 win. With the weather making the first half somewhat difficult the rain was unrelenting and the ball was difficult to control the blues created few chances in the first 45 mins.

Chadwick hit the post, having been put though with a defence-splitting pass from Southern that beat the offside trap. He also had two more chances: a header and another shot following a 25-yd run from midfield. The only other attempts came from Eaton the keeper charged down his shot and McKay who had a long range effort go wide of the mark.

Half Time: Bolton Wanderers 0 - 0 Everton

Chadwick started the second half brightly. Two excellent shots in the first 10 mins the better of the two was palmed down by the keeper, but unfortunately there was nobody in a blue shirt to follow up the loose ball. Just over the hour mark, Bolton hit the cross bar. This seemed to kick start the blues into action because within a minute, Curran scored our first, which came off an excellent cross from Eaton.

Nine mins later, Chadwick's valiant efforts earned him a goal. Again, Eaton was the provider with another excellent cross and Chadwick, 6 yds out, could not fail to miss. Bolton somehow, pegged a goal back in the 80th minute. The Everton defence made a rare error which Bolton capitalised on, but within a couple of minutes, Eaton scored, having run from the halfway line; he saw off the Bolton defender who was doing everything bar foul him and slotted the ball past the keeper.

In the 83rd min, Everton had to make a substitution. Off went Delaney and on came the substitute keeper, Mannus.

In the last minute of the game, Everton really should have made it 4-1. Curran, 18 yds out, lobbed the ball at the goal, but it hit the bar and fell at the unexpecting feet of Chadwick, who had his attempt blocked by the keeper Bolton's best player of the day, by far.

Everton deserved the win, purely on their second half performance.

 Blackburn Rovers 1 - 2 Everton

U-19 League Match No 11:
Saturday 20 November 1999

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Knowles, O'Hanlon, Pilkington, Kearney, Osman, Southern, Curran (46' McLeod), Chadwick (65' McKay), Howarth.
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers: Chadwick, Knowles.

The victory foundations were laid in a dominant first half performance. Striker Nick Chadwick converted after 20 minutes, and then defender David Knowles powered home a header from Damien Curran corner moments before the interval.

Everton's superiority continued after the break only for the game to turn on a controversial decision with fifteen minutes to go. Blackburn were handed a dubious penalty but goalkeeper Dean Delaney in the Blues' goal saved well from fellow Irish youth international Gary Hamilton.

However, given fresh impetus, the home side pushed forward and Hamilton had his revenge three minutes later when, after Blackburn were again allowed to cross into the danger zone, he scored with a close range header. The goal made for a frenetic finale but fortunately Everton's defence held firm for a deserved win.

The victory extended Everton's unbeaten run to 11 matches and left them third in the table.

 Everton 2 - 4 Liverpool

U-19 League Match No 12:
Friday 26 November 1999
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Hogg (60' Wright), Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Clarke, Southern, Kearney (77' McKay), Osman, Chadwick (46' Howarth), Dempsey, McLeod.
Subs not used: Valentine, Eaton. Scorers: Osman, Dempsey. Ref: J Chappell. Att: 70

Steve Milne Bellefield on a Friday afternoon in the cold and blustering rain... it made compiling this report near impossible due to soggy paper!!

Everton's U-19 team league leaders today lost their unbeaten record for the season. With a 4-2 thrashing even though it hurts me to say this Liverpool were the better side. They created more chances in front of goal. On the other hand, Everton created 2 chances in the first 45 mins, and scored 2 goals.

The first came after 18 mins: Dempsey from a corner found Osman on the back post to open the scoring. Our second was scored by our Man of the Match, Dempsey, who found himself in space, having been put through from midfield. His initial shot was parried but Dempsey put away the rebound for Everton to go 2-0 up. You would think at this point that we would cruise to a victory but little did we know what the second half would bring...

Half time: Everton 2 - 0 Liverpool

Within a couple of minutes, Liverpool clawed a goal back. Partridge, who had been causing some problems down the right all day for Liverpool, whipped in a cross which Everton's Hogg tried to clear but it flew into the net: own goal!

Liverpool's second goal came from some pretty awful defending. Again Partridge with the cross, and Miles couldn't fail to hit the target. On 70 mins, Liverpool's Olsen, from a strong run down the left side, and then from some 18 yds out, hit a shot that went in off the far post. 3-2 to Liverpool.

Everton then had a couple of chances. On 76 mins, an almighty scramble in the Liverpool 6-yd box and not one Everton player was able to get a touch on the ball. 80 mins, Dempsey almost scored again. This time a header went into the side netting.

Liverpool's' 4th was Miles' second. He had a speculative shot from a narrow angle, which was deflected by an Everton defender into the net. All in all, not the best U-19 performance I have seen all season...

 Manchester United 2 - 0 Everton

U-19 League Match No 13:
Saturday 4 December 1999

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Knowles, Southern, McKay (Kearney), Osman, Howarth (Price), Dempsey, McLeod (Chadwick).
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers: None

via Steve Milne  We have now been beaten by two teams that are below us in the league, after a great start to the season we seem to have come down to earth with a bump.

Losing to Man Utd 2-0 on Saturday was not the best start to the day (the first team did no better later on). The first goal was given to Utd on a plate, an error from our keeper.

Everton could only play chase the game after that, Utd were 2-0 up after 20 odd mins. I don't think the blues even created a single chance the whole game, not even when the Utd keeper was sent off with 10 mins remaining.

Osman, Southern, Dempsey were the best players in blue shirts by far; let's hope that we can stop the rot next Saturday...

 Everton 0 - 1 Manchester City

U-19 League Match No 14:
Saturday 11 December 1999
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington (Price), O'Hanlon, Knowles, Dempsey, Southern, Osman, Howarth, Eaton, Curran (McKay).
Subs: Hogg, Kearney, Tuft. Scorers:  None.

Everton Programme: Manchester City sneaked a win at Bellefield to cap a disappointing run for the Under-19s.  Not for the first time this season, it was the Blues' inability to convert chances into goals that cost them dear.  

Colin Harvey said: "It wasn't the greatest of games but we still deserved to take something from it.  We had most of the pressure, without playing as well as I know we can, but we conceded a first-half goal, and from then on it was an uphill battle."

 Liverpool 0 - 1 Everton

U-19 League Match No 15:
Friday 17 December 1999
Kirkby Youth Academy

Everton: Delaney, O'Hanlon, Pilkington, Clarke, Knowles (74' Price), McKay, Kearney, Osman (c), Howarth, Dempsey, McLeod.
Subs not used: Hogg, Valentine, Chadwick, Eaton. Scorers: Osman (3') Yellow cards: Clarke (71')

Steve Milne Everton today stopped the rot. Well, the 3 game losing streak anyway, with a 1-0 win over Liverpool. Arriving at "The Academy", I reckon Fort Knox may be easier to get in to... To dare to ask for a team sheet well then you would think I was asking for 50 notes with the teams on the back.

Please, let's give Ray Hall the money to finish off the Everton Academy looking at the one Liverpool have it is quite impressive, let me tell you.

When you go to Bellefield you see Norman on the gate who makes you welcome, a nice friendly chap. Not so at Liverpool, the gate man was just the exact opposite.

But on to the game .....

With the wind taking the chill factor to -5 or more (it felt like that) not the best conditions to play football, let alone watch.

Everton today deserved to win. They had more chances, more possession, and they took the game by the scruff of the neck from the first kick of the ball. We took the lead after just 3 mins with a goal from the man of the match Osman. It came via a corner. Liverpool failed to clear the ball, Osman took 2 bites at it, the Liverpool keeper had no chance.

The blues created a handful of chances in the first half. Kearney crossed the ball with a bit of pace on it, McKay just could not get his foot on the end of it.

McLeod on 32 mins also had a great cross go begging, yet another wasted opportunity. Young Osman should have made it 2-0 on 38 mins, a poor clearance from Crookes the Liverpool keeper, Osman then beat him with an open goal and the defence closing him down wasted the goal scoring chance.

Liverpool had their first shot on the Everton goal in the 44th min, they could not even hit the target with that.

Half Time: Liverpool 0 - 1 Everton

The second half was just as the first left off, with the blues just as dominant. The Everton keeper had only one thing to do, which he took quite easily.

Osman had four clear chances the best came from a header 78 mins which just floated over the bar.

Given the fact that we have lost the last 3 games, it was nice to win one to break the run. It was even nicer to do it against the old enemy.

 Crewe Alexandra 0 - 3 Everton

U-19 League Match No 16:
Saturday 22 January 2000

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Price (Wright), O'Hanlon, Pilkington, Hibbert, Southern, Osman, Howarth, Dempsey, McLeod
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers: Southern, Howarth, Osman.

Sorry, no match details

 Everton 3 - 0 Middlesbrough

U-19 League Match No 17:
Saturday 29 January 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Wright, O'Hanlon, Tuft, Hibbert, Southern, Osman, Howarth, Dempsey, McLeod.
Subs: McKay, Kearney, Curran, Eaton, Lester. Scorers: Dempsey, Southern, Hogg.

Sorry, no match details

 Everton 2 - 0 Bolton Wanderers

U-19 League Match No 18:
Saturday 5 February 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Price, O'Hanlon, Tuft, Hibbert, Southern (Capt), McKay (73' Kearney), Chadwick (72' Eaton), Dempsey, McLeod (86' Lester).
Subs not used: Hogg, Valentine. Scorers: Chadwick (13'), Eaton (72').

Andrew Conway  Everton playing in a 4-4-2 formation met Bolton in a week where both clubs lost 1-0 at home in the 5th round of the FA Youth Cup.

Everton dominated the early exchanges of this encounter.  After 4 mins, Chadwick headed the ball on to his strike partner Dempsey, who just volleyed over the bar. A minute later Chadwick missed after being set up by Hibbert.

In the 6th minute, Southern shot wide from close range. In the 13th minute, McLeod crossed from the left for Chadwick to score with a header at the far post. Three minutes later, Chadwick just failed to make it 2-0 from another cross from the left by McLeod.

On 27 mins, Hibbert shot from the edge of the penalty box brought an excellent save from the Bolton keeper, Evans. Everton dominated the midfield with Hibbert and McKay winning possession for the Blues then setting up the wide men McLeod and Southern. However Everton's front men failed to come to terms with Bolton's offside trap, being caught several times.

Half time: Everton 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers

After 58 mins McKay's shot passed the post. A minute later Keith Southern cut in from the right but his shot went wide. On 62 minutes, left back Price ran through but his shot also went wide of the target. After 67 mins, Delaney superbly tipped over a header from the Bolton centre-forward Smith. This was the only clear cut chance Bolton had all match, as Everton's central defenders O'Hanlon and Tuft withstood the occasional break from the Bolton front line.

On 68 mins, Eaton replaced Chadwick up front. On 72 mins, Everton crossed from the left, Eaton turned swiftly and put the ball in the back of the net with his left foot to make it 2-0. Kearney replaced McKay in midfield after 73 mins. Everton dominated the remainder of the match without creating any more chances. Everton made a final change on 86 minutes with Lester replacing McLeod.

Overall Everton U19's deserved this victory, with Hibbert Everton's Man of the Match for his tackling and tidy passing in the midfield. Everton's' U19 have now played 18 games where they have won 12, drawn 3 and lost 3.

The young Blues play their 3rd home game in a row next Saturday against Blackburn Rovers U19's.

 Everton 0 - 2 Blackburn Rovers

U-19 League Match No 19:
Saturday 12 February 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Price, O'Hanlon, Pilkington, Hibbert, Southern (c), McKay, Howarth, Curran, Eaton (56' Chadwick) . 
Subs not used: Kearney, Valentine, Lester, Penman. Scorers: None.

Everton U19's four-match unbeaten run came to an end as the Blues lost for the first time this millennium at home to high flying Blackburn.

Blackburn dominated the early stages, forcing a series of corners.  Everton, with five changes from last weeks' starting line-up, came into it for a short period without creating a clear-cut chance.  After 12 mins, Blackburn went close with a spectacular overhead kick by Baldacchino.

On 17 mins, Everton had their first shot at goal, which was a long range effort by McKay.  A minute later, Eaton made a driving run at the Blackburn defence, with his shot going just wide. 

In the 21st min, Blackburn's 6-ft-plus centre-forward, Burgess, cut in from the left and curled his shot from the edge of the penalty box into the bottom corner of the net, to give Blackburn a deserved 1-goal lead.  Burgess was a former Everton schoolboy player who played several times for Everton's B team in the old Lancashire League during the 1997-98 season as a 15-year-old, before signing for Blackburn's Academy, and proved to be a threat to the Blues defence all through the game.

After 36 mins, Everton keeper, Delaney, misjudged the flight of the ball in the wind, allowing O'Brien to head in at the back post for Blackburn's second goal.  Overall Blackburn dominated the first half, having had the advantage of a very strong wind behind them.

Half time: Everton 0 - Blackburn 2

After 47 mins, O'Hanlon went close, hitting just over the bar following a free kick hit into the box from the left.  A minute later, the Blackburn keeper Bingham made a great save from a flick across the goal by Howarth.  On 53 mins, a chip from Southern just went over the bar.  After 56 mins, Chadwick replaced Eaton upfront.  Southern shot over from a corner after 59 mins.  65 mins saw Kearney replacing Hibbert in midfield.  With 7 mins left, Chadwick blasted over the bar from the edge of the box.  After 85 mins, Howarth's header was cleared for a corner.

Overall, in the second half, Everton failed to take the advantage of the strong wind behind them, as Rovers had in the previous 45 mins, thus allowing Blackburn a deserved victory.  Southern was Man of the Match for Everton, as he was the only player who posed any threat for the Blues.  Let's hope that Everton's U19s get back to their winning ways next Saturday, when they play away to Coventry's U19s.

 Coventry City 2 - 3 Everton

U-19 League Match No 20:
Saturday 19 February 2000
Sky Blue Lodge, Coventry

Everton: Delany, Hogg, Wright, O'Hanlon, Pilkington, Southern, McKay (82' Dempsey), Kearney, Chadwick (60' Eaton), Howarth, McLeod.
Subs not used: Curran, Lester, Penman, Price, Valentine. Scorers: Howarth  ( pen: 20', 29', 34').
Att: 27 + 1 dog. Ref: Mr K Townsend 

Steve Milne   Everton demolished Coventry City in a 15-minute spell with a well-taken hat-trick from Carl Howarth.  To be fair, the chances we created in the first half were all turned into goals, leaving only a couple of half chances:  Southern with a header over the bar on 14 mins, followed by a long range 20-yarder just past the post on 44 mins.  

Indeed, the Blues, or should I say, the yellows as we were today, were the far stronger of the two sides in the first 45 mins.  The second half however, was a different ball game.  For whatever Coventry's Youth Team Manager had put in their cup of tea, it should be put on the Everton shopping list, because they came out all guns blazing, scored a couple of goals in two minutes.  The first being a superb 18 yd shot that left young Irish International Delaney, with no chance.  

The second found the Everton defence, somewhat lacking.  Manager Colin Harvey attempted to stop the rot by making a couple of substitutions which seemed to work, although in the last 10 mins of the game, Coventry almost scored their equalizer, but for an off-the-line clearance, followed by some brave goalkeeping.  

However, we kept our noses in front and an almost certain second place in the Northern section of the FA Premier U-19 League. 

 Huddersfield Town 4 - 1 Everton

U-19 League Match No 21:
Saturday 26 February 2000

Everton: Delaney, Penman, Price, O'Hanlon, Tuft, Valentine (Kearney), Lester, McKay (Dempsey), Chadwick, Howarth, McLeod (Curran).
Subs not used: #. Scorers: Chadwick

Everton Programme:  With the runners-up spot already clinched, the Blues gave a young team some experience at the Under-19 level.  But  they found Huddersfield simply too strong.

The Yorkshire side raced into a two-goal lead before Nick Chadwick gave the visitors some hope with a strike just before half-time.  A Carl Howarth might have secured an undeserved equaliser, but struck the  crossbar, and Huddersfield hit back to add two more goals before the end. 

 Everton 1 - 0 Stoke City

U-19 League Match No 22:
Saturday 4 March 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Hogg, Wright, Tuft, Southern, Kearney, Lester (62' McLeod), McKay (74' Chadwick), Howarth (88' Eaton), Dempsey (Capt), Curran.
Subs not used: Valentine. Scorers: Howarth (78') Yellow Cards: Southern (36')

Andrew Conway  Everton U19's finished off their FA Youth League campaign with a 1-0 win at home to Stoke City.  The Blues made 6 changes to the starting line up that lost 4-1 at Huddersfield.

Everton had most of the possession in the first half, but failed to create any clear-cut chances for the forwards.  Following a throw-in on 23 mins, Dempsey controlled the ball on his chest, he turned swiftly and fired a shot at goal.  Young centre-half, Southern, making his U19 debut, was booked in the 36th minute for a foul on the Stoke forward, Shaw.  In the 45 min, a long throw-in by Wright was knocked down to McKay who struck the ball against the bottom of the post with a shot from just outside the box.

Half time: Everton 0 - 0 Stoke City

The second half also failed to produce many goal-scoring opportunities for the Blues.

In the 70 min, Delaney tipped the ball over from a header by one of the Stoke forwards.  In 75th min, Delaney was forced to make a good save following a long-range effort by the Stoke left back Commons.  Two minutes later, Delaney made another fine save, this time pushing the ball away for a corner.  In the 78 min, a left-wing cross by McLeod was controlled by Chadwick, Howarth then struck the ball, which took a deflection to give the Blues a 1-0 lead.  On 81 mins, Chadwick went close with a low shot.    In the 89 min, Chadwick fired just wide after a great run by Eaton.

Man of the Match for Everton was Kearney, who won possession for the Blues throughout the match and he always looked to start Everton's attacking moves by quickly getting the ball out to the flanks.  

Everton finished as Runners Up in the North West Section of the FA Premier Academy U19 League: 

Played 22: won 14, drew 3, lost 5; points 45.  Goals for 38; against 22. 

Everton now have a home fixture in the first round of the Playoffs on 25 March.

 Everton 1 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur

U-19 League 1st Round Playoff:
Saturday 25 March 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, Tuft, Clarke, Osman, Hibbert, Dempsey, Eaton (Kearney), Howarth, McLeod, (Curran).
Subs not used: N/A. Scorers: Howarth

Sorry, no details ...

 Everton 2 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

U-19 League 2nd Round Playoff:
Saturday 1 April 2000
Bellefield, West Derby

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, Tuft, Clarke (c), Hibbert, McKay, Osman, Chadwick, Howarth, McLeod
Subs not used: Kearney, Hogg, Valentine, Curran, Lester. Scorers: Osman (pen:14'), McLeod (56')

Sorry, no details yet

 Arsenal 2 - 0 Everton

U-19 League 3nd Round Playoff:
Saturday 8 April 2000

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Clarke, Hibbert (Tuft), Mckay (Curran), Osman, Howarth, Dempsey, McLeod, .
Subs not used: Hogg, Chadwick, Kearney. Scorers: None

Sorry, no details yet

 U-19 Team Appearances and Goals, 1999-2000

Name                Apps   Goals   Comments                        
Nick Chadwick       7(8)     5
Peter Clarke        9(1)     -
Damien Curran       6(4)     1
Dean Delaney       26(-)     -     Released in May 2000
Gary Dempsey       16(3)     4     Released in May 2000
David Eaton         4(4)     2
Tony Hibbert       13(-)     -
Craig Hogg         10(1)     1
Carl Howarth       22(-)    11     Released in May 2000
Tom Kearney         7(6)     -
David Knowles      11(-)     1     Released in May 2000
John Lester         2(1)     -
Joe McAlpine        3(2)     -
Matt McKay         12(6)     1
Kevin McLeod       18(1)     4
Alan Mannus         -(1)     -
Sean O'Hanlon      21(-)     1
Leon Osman         17(-)     6
Craig Penman        1(-)     -
George Pilkington  21(-)     -
Michael Price       6(3)     -
Keith Southern     18(-)     4
Robert Southern     1(-)     -
Dean Tuft           6(1)     -
Ryan Valentine      1(-)     -
John Wright        16(-)     -     Released in May 2000


 Everton 11 - 1 Wrexham

U-19 Pre-Season Friendly Match No 1:
28 July 1999,

Everton: Delaney, Wright, Price, Pilkington, O'Hanlon, Kearney, Southern, Osman, Howarth, Chadwick. McLeod.
Subs: McKay, D Eaton, Willets, Hogg. Scorers: Kearney 2, McLeod 3, Chadwick 2, Pilkington, Howarth, Hogg, D Eaton.

Steve Milne We played good football, although after the first few goals, the heads of the Wrexham players just dropped, hence the final score.

 Everton 4 - 1 Peterborough United

U-19 Pre-Season Friendly Match No 2:
7 August 1999,

Everton: Delaney (85' Ralph); O'Hanlon (85' D Eaton), Price, Pilkington, Hogg; Hibbert (45' McKay), Southern, Dempsey (70' Chadwick); Howarth, McAlpine (60' Kearney), Logan (85' Valentine).
Subs not used: ???  Scorers: Southern (19', 35', pen:64'), Howarth (pen:80').

Steve Milne The first goal came on 19 mins from a free kick which flew right across the 6-yd box, Keith Southern met it at the back post. His shot was parried by the Peterborough keeper but, on the rebound had a second go, and this time he found the net. Peterbourgh had a long punt up field, which lead to a  one on one with the keeper, the wimbledon way to score.

On 35 mins scorer was again the Everton man of the match, Keith Southern. This time he was watching the line, the ball was played though the midfield, his timing was superb and he ran on to score a good goal.

Southern's hat trick came from a penalty on 64 mins. Howarth was brought down with a mistimed challenge; this was easy for the right boot of Southern. A second penalty was converted in the 80th minute, a re-run of the first. This time the scorer was the man brought down: Howarth.

On the whole, the boys played very well; always in control. This was their 2nd pre season game of the season. The future looks good for them, after winning last seasons U-19's league Group A, they have to start again on the 28th of this month.

 Tranmere Rovers 2 - 5 Everton

U-19 Pre-Season Friendly Match No 3:
10 August 1999,
Tranmere Rovers Training Ground

Everton: Moore (46' Highfield), Hogg, Price, Pilkington (46' Tuft), O'Hanlon, Kearney (69' McAlpine), Penman (55' Valentine), Lester , Chadwick, D Eaton, Logan.
Subs not used: ???  Scorers: Chadwick (9', 66', 75'), Penman (10'), D Eaton (53').

Steve Milne The third pre-season friendly at this level, took place on what I can only describe as the best playing surface I have ever seen at a training ground. Moore (in goal) and Highfield were on trial with Everton.

Chadwick scored a hat-trick. His first goal coming in the 9th min. The ball fell to him, with his back facing the goal, he turned on a sixpence and hit the target from the edge of the box. Everton's second goal came a minute later, when Penman latched onto a ball that the Tranmere defense failed to clear. From 12 yds out, it was a powerful drive,

Tranmere, with Everton's defense nowhere to be seen, clawed a goal back 7 mins later. Half-time: 2-1 to Everton

Second half: Everton's third goal came in the 53rd minute. Chadwick out-jumped the keeper to win the ball, which fell to D Eaton, whose first strike was saved by the keeper and found the back of the net with his second.

Everton's fourth goal came in the 66th min: From a ball played through midfield, Chadwick beat the offside trap, rounded the keeper and put the ball into an empty net. Two minutes later, from what I can only describe as a melee, in the 6-yd box, an outstretched Tranmere boot put away their second goal of the day.

Everton's fifth and final goal of the day involved the substitute Joe McAlpine, turning his marker, racing down the wing and then sending in a superb cross which fell to a waiting Chadwick at the far post for a simple tap in, the best goal of the day.

 Everton 2 - 1 Blackburn Rovers

U-19 Pre-Season Friendly Match No 1:
14 August 1999,

Everton: ???
Subs not used: ???  Scorers: ???

Sorry, no details available.  


We use cookies to enhance your experience on ToffeeWeb and to enable certain features. By using the website you are consenting to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.