Memory Lane – Spurs v Everton

Cup Specialists unable to Match Everton’s League record – Tottenham Hotspur versus Everton, a historical review of this fixture.

Cup Specialists unable to Match Everton’s League record – Tottenham Hotspur versus Everton

Evertonia described the early years of Tottenham Hotspur in 1961. The Spurs first started operations in 1882, under the name of Hotspur and playing on Tottenham Marsh. In 1887, they moved on to Northumberland Park and became professional in 1885. They were members of the Southern League from 1896 to 1908, during which period (1901) they won the FA Cup, a feat which has not since been equalled by any other non-League club.

They were elected to the Second Division Football League in 1908 and won promotion to the First Division in 1908-09. Everton first visited White Hart Lane for a League fixture in January 1910 and were sent packing by the Londoners as the home side beat the Blues (3-0) with goals (two) by H Middlemiss with and R Steel with the other. The Liverpool Courier reported on the match:-

The display of the Everton team at Tottenham on Saturday was truly disappointing. They were defeated by three clear goals, and there were possibilities of this margin being even more pronounced. On the eve of the Cup-tie the outlook is not at all promising and it is absolutely imperative that the house be set in order if the followers of the club are to enjoy a return for the generous support they have accorded. Defeat upon opponents' grounds is, of course, not exceptional, but when that defeat is courted by the ineptitude of players, the situation becomes unpardonable. Apart from the first 20 minutes of the game, the work of the Everton forwards would not have done credit to even a second rate organisation, and the longer the game progressed the more flagrant became their shortcomings…..

Almost their [Spurs] first dangerous incursion into the Everton half brought about a leading point after 23 minutes' play. Taylor getting into position for trapping one of the cross centres from the home forwards, was fared by R Steel, who with a somewhat random shot drove hard between the centre half's leg into the net. Following this White had an open goal and many were the chances opened out to the Everton forward, generally, but in every case they were not accepted. Just before the interval White was running through, and was in the penalty area when he got mixed up with Morris, and had to retire limping. He resumed after the interval, but from this point practically to the end of the game there was only one side in the picture, and that was certainly not Everton. There was no method in the movements of the visiting forwards. Dash was entirely absent, and for the best part the Everton defenders were subjected to heavy pressure. Ten minutes from the close Clifford instead of kicking clear, feebly headed into touch, and this led up to Middlemiss putting his side further ahead, while the latter just before the close found the Everton right back again at fault, and completed the scoring.

Article continues below video content

Tottenham Hotspurs: - Jorce: Elkin, Coquel; Morris, A. Steel, Bentley; Curtis, Minter, Humphreys, R. Stell, Middlemiss.
Everton: - Scott; Clifford, Stevenson; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, Turner.
Referee WC Clover.

That defeat for the Toffees was quickly followed by three consecutive victories at the London venue the first of which came the following season as Everton gained their first points at White Hart Lane, where Tom Fleetwood scored the only goal of the game. The Liverpool Echo reported the following [abridged]:-

Everton played at Tottenham today, and their team bore many changes from Saturday. Walter Scott and Meunier appearing in defence. The best half-back line was on view. Chedgzoy made another appearance with the first team. Beare being rested. There was a huge crowd at White Hart Lane when Everton made their bow, and the ground was very hard and had been freely watered. Everton won the toss, but there was little advantage to be gained. Still, the visitors had the better of the early exchanges. Gracie receiving from Young and providing an opening for Lacey, who failed to improve.

Everton hovered in the Spurs' territory until Meunier kicked out. There the Spurs forwards were within an ace of scoring, Humphrey's, Steel, and Middlemiss all being slow to control a lively ball. But the Blues had two glorious openings in the first five minutes, which should have been better utilised. Gourlay in fact was almost on the goal line when he mis-kicked and allowed Collins to punt away.

The pace was a real hot one, the fortunes of the game swinging from end to end in exciting fashion. The combination of both forward lines was well nigh perfect considering the hard going. Humphreys twice tested Scott, but as they were long range drives the Everton keeper had no difficulty in getting the ball away. So far Lunn had not been troubled, but his goal was in rare danger from centres by Lacey and Chedgzoy. Curtis took the war into Everton's defensive area and centred. Humphreys dashing up just a fraction of a second too late.

Incident followed on incident in rapid succession and Scott had barely fielded a fine shot from Darnall when Lacey drove in a fine oblique ball which Lunn saved in masterly fashion. Brilliant dribbling by Minter was rewarded with a corner. R Steel and Humphreys, both trying headers which fortunately went wide. The Spurs were finely served at half-back. Rance and Darnall putting in some fine work both in defence and attack. For a time the home forwards showed perfect footwork, a front of Scott, but were prevented from getting in a shot and eventually an attack which boded no good for Everton culminated in an advance by Gourlay, who sent out to Lacey. Collins mis-kicked and the Irishman got in his centre, which rebounded from the crossbar for Fleetwood to head through from the rebound.

This goal came seventeen minutes from the start. The excellent football delighted the crowd, who cheered a great run and centre by Curtis, which Minter headed over. Still with the defence steady and the forwards playing in a style, which betokened another goal, Everton inspired confidence indeed, and with a great shot. Gourlay struck the crossbar Lacey and Gourlay were a dangerous wing the Irish man beating Birnie cleverly and getting the ball across perfectly. Fleetwood and Gracie, however, spoilt these openings, through getting offside. Young, Gourlay and Elken were injured in quick succession….

In the latter stages play ruled' mostly in midfield, Albert Chedgzoy had a fine effort superbly saved by Lunn. Everton always looked far more likely to score. The Spurs were without Curtis for some time in the second half, but they raided Scott's charge vigorously. Humphreys was within an ace of doing the trick.

Tottenham Hotspur: - Lunn; Collins, Elson; Birnie, Rance, Darnell; Curtis, Minter, Humphreys, R. Steel, Middlemiss.
Everton: - Walter Scott; Stevenson, Meunier; Harris, R. Young, Makepeace (Captain); Chedgzoy, Fleetwood, Gracie, Gourlay, Lacey.
Referee Mr. F. Heath

On 30 December 1911, Everton returned from White Hart Lane with all the points as the Football Echo reported [abridged]:

Everton hoped to continue their excellent Christmas run to-day, when they visited Tottenham, which club they beat last season by a goal to nil.

As usual when visiting the Metropolis the Evertonians travelled to town a day in advance. This morning Mr. Cuff, who had journeyed overnight from Hull, gave out the welcome tidings that Tom Browell, the famous Hull City centre-forward had been signed on.

The men spent this morning in leisurely fashion, and Tottenham was reached in ample time. The weather was bright and mild, but there was a certain amount of dampness in the air, and the soft state of the ground needed a liberal use of sand. Both teams have been doing so well of late that a great day was anticipated, and the spectators rolled up in their thousands to witness the encounter.

There were 25,000 spectators present when play started. Macconnachie won the toss, and Tottenham started with a slight breeze in their favour. The start was sensational, for the home forwards moved away strongly on the right, and the Everton skipper being between Newman had a clear goal in front of him when he shot over the bar.

The ding-dong character of the game may be judged by the fact that both the goalkeepers were kept continuously on the alert and it was only the over anxiety of both sides to score that presented this desired end.

Everton, however, soon steadied down, and the result of this was crowned with success Bradshaw, from the centre line worked his way through, and put the ball to Davidson. The latter centred almost from the corner flag, and both Bradshaw and Gracie missed it, but Beare fortunately was in his right place, and he scored with a swift cross shot that gave Lunn no chance. This success came after twelve minutes' play.

A temporary spell of long kicking eased the tension somewhat, but it was not long before the Evertonians were busy on the left, Bradshaw being dispossed when well placed. The home right wing was very dangerous, and though Makepeace cleverly checked them, the ball was swung across the left, where Steel tested Scott with a hot shot. Further play in midfield was followed by a long shot from Middlemiss but this was punted clear by Macconnachie, and Stevenson cleared a second onslaught from the same wing…

The visitors were playing very clever football at this time, and even the home supporters applauded their smartness. Tottenham, after a little temporary slackness roused themselves, and Newman working through, put in a fine oblique shot, which passed just outside. A few seconds later the home forwards again came to within as ace of scoring. Scott saving a crushing shot from Middlesmiss at the cost of a corner.

The first half had been wonderfully fast considering the soft state of the ground, and both teams had shown very pretty football. Everton, however, were always the superior side, if only because of their half-back play which was superb. The forwards had done well, their Gracie was rather out of the picture. There was a slight mist overhanging the ground when play was resumed before nearly 30,000 people.

Tottenham were at once on the alert, and working down Minter just failed to score, the ball going over the bar. Everton at once took up the running and the home goal was subjected to a bombardment that caused the crowd great trepidation, at first Jefferis and them Harris had long shots at goal.

For several minutes the Evertonians were all over the home defenders, and half a dozen shots were fired in by as many seconds, but somehow or another they all went astray. Jefferis, Gracie, and Bradshaw, all had chances, but they lost that at the last moment, and after a time the Spurs took up the running and proceeded to give McConnachie and Stevenson something to think of Everton continued to play fine football, and it was only the wonderful goalkeeping of Lunn that averted disaster.

He saved one shot from Beare while rolling on the ground, and another from Bradshaw that struck the inside of the upright. Everton completely outplayed their opponents, and when Tottenham did get away they were kept well in hand.

Tottenham Hotspur nil, Everton one.

Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs Beare, Jefferis, Gracie, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards.
Tottenham Hotspurs: - Lunn, goal, Webster, and Brittan backs, D. Steel, Rance, Darnell, half-backs, Middlemiss, R. Steel, Minter, Newman, and McTavish, forwards.
Referee J. Adams.

The final victory of the three game winning streak arrived on 1 September 1912 as the Liverpool Courier reported:

Playing exceedingly clever football at Tottenham last evening, Everton gained a well deserved victory over the Spurs by 2 goals to nil. There was plenty of enthusiasm exhibited by a crowd of upwards of 20,000, who must have very disappointed at the poor form shown by the Metropolis team. The margin of goals does not by any means show the true superiority of the visitors, for in general tactics, both in attack and defence they clearly proved that they were the more capable footballers individual and collectively.

Everton played football which was high class from beginning to end, and the magnificence of their half-backs' play were a long way towards bringing about the complete discomfiture of the Spurs. Who at no period in the game appeared quite capable of being able to do sufficient good work to warrant the scoring of a goal.

The Spurs always fought bravely during the first half, but their methods were of such individual character that it was the easiest thing imaginable for the visitors to define their intentions and throughout the whole game Caldwell was not asked to negotiate a shot that could be considered to be dangerous.

Everton's form must at all events be quite satisfactory for an opening game. The Forwards, it is true, only registered a single goal up at the interval, but their work had been so convincing that it was obvious that the home goal could not keep on escaping as it did….it was from Browell that the Everton score came, midway in the second half from another clever burst. He was obviously pushed off the ball by Brittan, the Tottenham back, and the referee had no hesitation in giving a penalty kick. Macconnachie took the kick, and before entering the net the ball struck the underneath part of the crossbar, which of course gave Lunn no chance of saving…

There was nothing finer in the game than the play of Macconnachie. He was seldom guilty of a mistake in tackling, and the accuracy of his kicking frequently brought loud cheers from a keen crowd, who quickly applauded the clever tactics of the visitors. It was always a quick open game with plenty of incidents, and was undoubtedly a complete honour for the Everton men.

Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: - Lynn, goal, Collins, and Brittan, backs, Darnell, Minterl, Grimsdel, and Lightfoot, half-backs, Tattersall, Minter, Young, Bliss, and Middleton, forwards.
Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace.

The final visit by Everton to White Hart Lane prior to the outbreak of World War One was for the game played on 2 September 1914. Everton put in a performance and gained a result which signalled their intent to bring the League title back to Merseyside. The Liverpool Courier contained the following report.

At White Hart Lane last evening Everton gained a well-deserved victory by 3 goals to 1. The Blues have thus commenced the season in convincing manner, and it can be said at once that they gave a great display of match winning football that simply overwhelmed the Spurs during the second half, when Clennell scored all three goals for the visitors, following magnificent efforts. One can go as far as to sympathize with the Spurs, and perhaps even go further and say that an incident that took place midway through the first half ruined any prospect that they had of succeeding.

Minter collided unluckily with Maconnachie with such force that he took no further part in the game, and had to retire with a dislocated shoulder. Up to this point Tottenham had played a slightly superior game in some moderate football, but even when they had only four forwards they held their own quite well, and managed to score the only goal prior to the change of ends.

In many respects the goal was a lucky one, because it would probably not have been scored had not Fern and Macconnachie mistaken each other's tactics. The ball had been pushed forward, and while the two Everton defenders were in two minds what to do Cantrell slipped through and scored.

It was in the second half that Everton played such a strong determined game, and scored three exceedingly clever goals. Clennell was the man of the moment with a hat trick performance that was full of merit.

The equalising goal came twelve minutes after the restart, when fastening on a short pass from Harrison, Clennell dribbled through and shot a great goal. Three minutes later he repeated the performance, while ten minutes from the end Jaques, the new Spurs' custodian, was beaten a third time… The Everton team at the start was not convincing, but once they had settled down they made the Spurs appear a very moderate team.

Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood, Galt (Captain), and Grenyer half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards.

Whilst Everton went on to lift the Championship trophy, Tottenham were relegated in 1914-15 and their first League honour arrived when they won the Second Division Championship in 1919-20. They followed that success with an FA Cup win over Sheffield United in 1920-21 and almost won the First Division title the next season, 1921-22, when they finished second to Liverpool. During this period, Spurs had beaten Everton in their three meetings at White Hart Lane. Everton’s first victory at White Hart Lane following the resumption of the Football League in 1919 came in April 1924 and The Daily Courier gave its verdict.

The conditions underfoot at White Hart Lane just suited Everton, a soft surface while allowed full stretch in running, but this was hardly sufficient to account for the big margin by which the visitors won. There was a weakness in the final line of defence, which helped the Blues, two goals being recorded which should have been saved. The game was a good one to watch, the passing particularly of the Everton team, being well judged and always with an eye to the unmarked man. Everton gained a two goals' lead in half an hour, but within a minute after the interval the Spurs had drawn level only to see the Blues draw right ahead just when an exciting finish was looked forward to. Cock scored the first goal, converting a smart centre from Chedgzoy with his head, and Chadwick also made the best use of a touch inwards from Troup. Then Dimmock hit the crossbar and Lindsay scored from the rebound, while Walden closed in to net cleverly just after the interval.

Maddison, however, should have saved when Chedgzoy shot from the line, the ball bouncing down from the bar. He could not get to Cock's shot, though the centre-forward had to shake of both backs, before he could force home the ball. In the meantime Irvine was injured and gone to outside right, and he scored with a shot, which was identical with that of Chedgzoy. Immediately after he had netted the ball the Irish international had to leave the field, in this respect copying the example of Grimsdell, who had also had to retire through an accidental kick on the leg.

The Everton defence was again very sound, while the halves got a complete grip on the opposition in the second half. Forward, Chedgzoy has never been seen to greater advantage in a line, which was ever eager to snap up opportunities. Maddison was uncertain, a remark whick also applied to Forster, Grimsdell was easily the best of the halves, while Elkes stood out in the attack, in which Walden also did well.

Tottenham Hospurs: - Maddison, goal, Clay, and Foster, backs, Smyth, Lowe, and Grimsdell (captain), half-backs, Walden, Watkins, Osborne, Lindsay, Elkis, and Dimmock, forwards.
Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

The Daily Courier reported how the Everton players had been delayed by the Police on their return journey to Liverpool. Tottenham people, including their “Bobbies” were upset by Everton's big win over the ‘Spurs on Saturday. The North Londoners, however, writes “Twelfth Man” in the Evening News, “got back” on the Everton team:

As the visitors were about to leave the ground in a Charabanc after the match, the local police noticed that the license displayed was out of date. Instantly a couple of constables advanced and stopped the Charabanc. For a few minutes the driver was diving his hands first into one pocket and then into another. After becoming red in the face, he finally pulled out a license for the current year. The officers then withdrew.

Everton had to wait until October 1927 to record their next victory at the home of Spurs and it was another fine performance that helped the Blues on their way to the title, but for Tottenham it was a signal that their post-war run in the top division was about to come to an end. The Daily Courier reported:

Everton gave a virile display at Tottenham, and were full value for their display. Their superiority lay in their straightaway methods, more particularly Dean's trustfulness in front of goal. There was method in everything they did. The conditions were bad, but fast and keen football ruled from start to finish, and Tottenham had almost as much of the play as Everton. The rearranged ‘Spurs' front line did not make the most of their chances. Their tip-tap methods in front of goal were suicidal especially on a wet ground. Everton forwards wasted no time in fruitless manoeuvring,

Dean, who lay well on the opposing backs, rarely failed in following up the ball. He flung it out freely to the wings, where both Critchley and Troup showed resource in beating their man and making accurate centres. Dean's first goal after 27 minutes play was a masterpiece of straightaway methods.

The ‘Spurs were a tacking vigorously when O'Donnell made the run deftly eluded one of the backs, and racing to the left of the goal hooked the ball out of the reach of the goalkeeper, the ball hitting the underside of the crossbar and going into the net. Dean was also the mainspring in Everton's second goal. He took up the running from another clearance kick, and this time dashed past the backs to the right of the goal. He crashed in a cross shot which struck the foot of the post and came back into play. Dean regaining possession again, drove into goal. Britton pushing the ball out for Troup to rush in and steer the ball into the net.

Tottenham had repeatedly forced scrimmages almost in the jaws of the Everton goal, and it was during one of these that Townley scored. Everton's third goal was a characteristic effort by Dean in meeting a centre from Critchley and deflecting it into the net with his head. The Tottenham forwards were fast and clever, but lacked finishing power….

Teams: - Tottenham Hotspurs: - Britton, goal, Forster, and Richardson, backs, Smith, Skitt, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Osborne, O'Callaghan, Sanders, Townley, and Bellamy forwards.
Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Thomas.

Everton played their only League game outside of the top-flight at White Hart Lane in March 1931, having previously lost their semi-final clash with WBA they travelled to Spurs with hopes of extending their unbeaten League run. Everton's forward line, however, did not live up to the title of the Big Five when they got near goal, and in the first half the “W” plan was foiled. It was in this period that Wilkinson showed much better form and more confidence than in the Cup semi-final. These were valuable points to the Spurs, who are racing neck and neck with West Bromwich Albion, and they have rarely had to work so hard for the narrow margin of a goal.

For the second time in three days Everton lost by a goal to nought. First it was the Cup, yesterday, it was a League game at Tottenham, and for the second time this season they failed to score. The weekend's sadness was carried a further point by the fact that the only goal scored, as in the cup semi-final came though a mistake on the part of an Everton player. McClure kicked over the ball after the game at Tottenham had gone ten minutes, and Harper went in to score with a low left-footed shot.

Everton: Coggins; Williams, Cresswell; McClure, Gee, Thomson; Wilkinson, Dunn, Dean, Johnson, Stein.

John Peel reported for the Liverpool Post and Mercury, and he expressed some concerns about Everton’s remaining fixtures.

Everton seem to have struck the “bad patch” to their season's work at the most critical time, and it is hoped that the defeat in the Cup and the failure to score at Tottenham, yesterday will not upset the side, for they have a fine chance of winning the Second Division Championship by a record margin. The victory (1-0) places Tottenham in a fine position for they have gamed four points over the Albion, who, however, have two games in hand, but the knowledge that they have secured the points must be a district advantage to the Spurs in the race for second place. That it is going to be a very keen struggle is obvious. The fact that the Albion are in the Cup final should not disturb their League position, as the Wembley duel will not be played until April 25th. Everton have ten matches to play four at home and six away, and a lead of nine points they should win by a distance.

John Peel needn’t have worried as Everton recovered from their disappointments and won the Second Division title whilst Spurs ended up ten points behind Everton and crucially three points behind second-placed WBA and the Londoner’s faced another season outside of the top-flight. Spurs regained their status two seasons later, in 1933.

When Spurs met Everton at White Hart Lane in March 1951, it was a crucial match for both sides but for entirely different reasons. Everton were embroiled in a fight to save their First Division lives whilst Tottenham had high hopes of becoming First Division Champions. The Liverpool Football Echo report by 'Contact':

Everton, at Spurs had a vital match on their hands. They were fortunate to be able to have the services of George Rankin (now stationed at Blandford, Dorset) and they brought back Tom Eglington at outside left with J.W. Parker as his partner and Harry Potts moving to inside right. Catterick resumed centre forward for the first time since he played at Fulham where he got three goals. The weather was cold and wet. Unofficial news at White Hart Lane before the match was that Medley had been dropped and had asked to be placed on the transfer list. Burgess won the toss, and the advantage of the breeze. Sagar got a fine reception…

The crowd’s roar was an incentive to the potential League champions, but Murphy made poor use of some good chances. Again Everton were close when Potts took the ball down the goal line and although angled shot so accurately that Ditchburn needed to lean back and flick the ball over the bar. Grant delivered a long skidding shot which the goalkeeper fielded well, and when Burgess dummied his way through and stood back for the incoming Murphy to have a crack the shot was hard and true but Sagar got it round the post.

Too many Everton attacks broke down for no good reason. Things went wrong in the most tantalizing way. Baily cheekily used Grant’s back off a throw-in but Grant got wise to the move and conceded another throw. Ditchburn held an angled Catterick shot by the foot of the post – the only Everton attack of any consequence for some minutes.

The game was stopped while Fielding had a facial knock attended to then a through pass by Murphy to Baily spread-eagled the Everton defence but Sagar was quickly out to regain possession. Spurs’ half backs were in command and their forwards had chance after chance. That they made so little use of them irritated the crowd, who were looking for an early goal or two. Even so Everton defence was taking a hammering. Duiqemin missed a sitter and shook his head in dismay.

Potts did a tremendous amount of work in midfield but Everton’s skill could not manage to find the right pass at the vital stages of their attacks. It was pure misfortune that Parker should elect to pass to Catterick rather then go on himself. Caterick slammed the ball into the net, but the referee wrongly in my view gave him offside. Far from being offside, I thought Catterick yards onside, Willis being the player keeping him in that position.

At 55 minutes Tottenham went ahead. It was a simply goal yet a good one. Bennett lobbed over to Walters, then in the inside left position a harmless-looking pass, and Walters using his right foot, volleyed the ball beyond Sagar in an electrifying way.

A good glancing header by Parker from a prompt Fielding centre was Everton’s answer, but Ditchburn made his catch effortlessly. Parker and Eglington worked the short corner plan, and Rankin’s centre was headed across the goal face with no Everton forward there to do anything about it. Everton had their best spell of all now, with the wind and rain helping them and it was only a brilliant save by Ditchburn from close-in Fielding shot which saved Spurs. At 24 minutes in the second half. Spurs went two up. Murphy headed a spectacular goal from Ramsey’s free kick and Sagar had not the ghost of a chance. Bennett scored a third for the Spurs after 86 minutes play.

Official attendance 46,615.

Tottenham H;- Ditchburn, goal; Ramsey and Willis, backs; Nicholson, Clarke, and Burgess (captain), half-backs; Walters, Bennett, Douesmin, Bailey and Murphy, forwards.
Everton; Sagar, goal; Moore and Rankin, backs; Grant, Jones, and Farrell (captain), half-backs; Fielding, Potts, Catterick, Parker and Eglington, forwards.
Referee; Mr. B.J. Leafe (Nottingham).

Spurs managed to go on to win the title in 1951, and thereby equalled the record of Everton and Liverpool by winning the Second Division and First Division in successive seasons. Everton were relegated at the end of that 1950-51 campaign. Spurs came close to retaining their title in 1952 but had to settle for runners-up spot behind eventual champions Manchester United.

The next meeting of the two clubs at White Hart Lane was in December 1954, when the Toffees won (1-3) E Bailey scored the home team’s goal while John Willie Parker netted twice for the Blues and an own goal from Tottenham’s M Hopkins helped to seal Everton’s first victory at White Hart Lane since the Second World War.
Everton: O'Neill; Moore, Donovan; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Wainwright, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington.

Everton failed to win at White Hart Lane in their next seven visits taking just a single point and losing on six occasions the most infamous of the defeats was in October 1958, when Everton lost at Spurs (10-4) in what was Bill Nicholson’s first game in charge of the Lilywhites. Star man for Everton was Jimmy Harris who bagged a hat-trick in the fixture but finished on the losing side and as the Spurs Matchday programme recalled in their Star Spot feature:-

Jimmy Harris was one of the few Everton players to score three goals against Spurs. Even so, he still finished in a heavily beaten side! When the Toffees travelled to White Hart Lane in October 1958, Tottenham had something to prove to Billy Nicholson who had taken over as manager that week. Alf Stokes opened the scoring after only two minutes for Spurs but it wasn't long before Jimmy had grabbed his first to level the scores. Yet by half-time Spurs were 6-1 up. By the time Jimmy had completed his hat-trick in the 83rd minute Everton were trailing 9-3. The final score was 10-4 with Bobby Smith getting four for the home side.

Jimmy Harris was the most successful goalscorer of his era at Goodison Park. A local lad, he joined the club as a junior and made his League debut in 1955. He celebrated his first season in the side by finishing top scorer with 19 League goals.

Another honour to come his way during his debut season was an England under-23 cap. He later played for the Football League XI. Injuries hindered him during his second season but he recovered to score 14 League goals in each of the 1957-58 and 1958-59 seasons.

Jimmy was transferred to Birmingham City in 1960 and moved on to Oldham four years later. In 1966 he joined his home town club Tranmere Rovers but never played in their League XI. It's strange that Jimmy is still, perhaps, best remembered for his performance in a match most Evertonians would care to forget.

A look around the football scene on the day he got that hat-trick reveals that Jimmy rubbed shoulders with some of the game's giants. On that same afternoon, Nat Lofthouse hit the winner for Bolton in a First Division game at Chelsea. Ivor Allchurch scored twice for Newcastle and Roy Vernon, later to become an Everton player, scored in Blackburn's win at PNE (1-4). Jimmy matched the deeds of most of those goal scorers, his tally for Everton being 65 goals in 191 League outings.

In the 1960s Everton and Spurs were two of the most glamorous clubs in the country and their encounters were very often critical in deciding the destination of the League crown, for this reason and the fascinating nature of their battles they became the must see games for the avid fan and neutral alike. Spurs achieved the greatest triumph of all in the 1960-61 campaign, when they completed the double by winning the League and FA Cup in the same season, this being the first time this had been accomplished in the twentieth century. Only two clubs had previously done this: PNE in 1889 and Aston Villa in 1897.

When Everton visited White Hart Lane on 20 August 1960, few people inside the ground would have been aware of the significance of the opening day’s events. 50,393 people crammed into the Lane to witness a game that began a sequence of results that would enable the home side to write their name into football folklore. Everton proved stubborn opponents for the Lilywhites and with the game goalless until five minutes from time it looked as if Everton would return to Goodison Park with at least a point. However, Les Allen (85’) and Bobby Smith (87’) each scored for the home team to secure the points for Spurs. Tottenham Hotspur won their next ten League fixtures and by the end of the season Spurs had secured a historic League and FA Cup double.

Tottenham Hotspur: Brown; Baker, Henry; Blanchflower, Norman, Mackay; Jones, White, Smith, Allen R, Dyson.
Everton: Dunlop; Parker, Jones; Gabriel, Labone, Meagan; Lill, Collins, Harris J, Vernon, Ring.

Harry Catterick’s first victory in charge of Everton at White Hart Lane arrived in March 1964, Everton travelled to North London, as reigning Champions having beaten the Lilywhites to the title the previous season. The games against Spurs in the 1962-63 campaign had helped to propel the Toffees to the title.

Prior to this match, Tottenham were leading the way at the top of the division and Everton were a little off the pace in fourth place so once again the encounter between the two sides would have a bearing on the title-race. Dyson (17') put the league leaders ahead midway through the first half, but Everton re-grouped and a two goal burst in two minutes saw the Blues take the lead before half-time. Alex Young (32') scored the equaliser and Derek Temple (34') put the Toffees ahead, a lead they retained going into the break. On the hour mark Les Allen (60') struck back for Tottenham and his goal restored parity. But that state of affairs didn't last long as Roy Vernon (62') restored Everton's advantage just two minutes later. Eight minutes from time Roy Vernon converted a penalty to score his second of the match and Everton's fourth and the Blues held on to secure an impressive victory and put themselves two points closer to the table-toppers. Both sides had to settle for a top four finish as neither could manage the required levels of consistency to become champions.
Everton: West: Brown, Meagan: Gabriel, Labone, Kay, Scott; Stevens, Young, Vernon, Temple.

Five draws and a defeat for Everton followed that encounter at White Hart Lane, and it would be March 1970 before Evertonians could celebrate their team taking maximum points from the venue. Alan Whittle (16’) scored the only goal of the game as Everton closed in on the title.
Everton: West; Wright, Newton; Kendall, Kenyon, Harvey; Whittle, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Morrissey.

Everton’s next victory arrived in March 1974 when two first-half goals from John Connolly (16’) and Bob Latchford (33’) earned the points for the Toffees.
Everton: Lawson; Bernard, Seargent; Hurst, Kenyon, Clements; Harvey, Buckley, Latchford (Jones), Lyons, Connolly.

In October 1976, John Pratt and Don McAllister had given Spurs a two goal half-time lead against Everton at White Hart Lane. Andy King reduced the arrears shortly after the break but late in the match Spurs won a penalty which Keith Osgood successfully converted to restore the home sides two goal advantage. The Sunday People criticised the Tottenham defence for leaving Ken McNaught unmarked in the penalty area as the Scot pulled a goal back for the visitors. Then John Pratt and Steve Perryman embarked on a daft tip-tap time wasting effort on the touchline. Andy King intercepted the loose ball and whipped the ball away to Bob Latchford, who calmly knocked in the equaliser to rescue an unlikely point for the Toffees.

Tottenham H: Jennings; Naylor, McAllister, Hoddle, Young, Osgood, Pratt, Perryman, Duncan (McNab), Conn, Taylor.
Everton: Davies; Bernard, Jones; Lyons, McNaught, Hamilton; King, Dobson, Latchford, Goodlass, Telfer.

The following campaign (1976-77) Tottenham suffered relegation to the Second Division for the first time in the post-war era but they managed to secure promotion at the first time of asking. This was a relatively poor period for both Everton and Tottenham as they both failed to recapture their past League glories although Spurs had won the League Cup in 1971 by beating Aston Villa and won it again in 1973 when they defeated Norwich City. Tottenham started to make progress during the early 1980s but mainly in the FA Cup competition as they won the trophy in 1981 and 1982.

Everton managed to return victorious from White Hart Lane in September 1983 ending a sequence of eight League games without a win including a three game losing streak at the venue. Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy scored for Everton and Mark Falco got the consolation for the home team. Everton ended the 1983-84 season with the FA Cup in their trophy cabinet whilst Spurs won the Uefa Cup beating Anderlecht on aggregate in the two-legged final.
Everton: Arnold; Harper, Bailey; Ratcliffe, Higgins, Reid (Richardson); Steven, Heath, Sharp, Johnson, Sheedy.

This was the start of three successive League wins for the Toffees at the ground as they began to assert themselves in the League and the next encounter at White Hart Lane was a pivotal moment in the race for the 1984-85 title.

3 April 1985 saw Everton and Tottenham face each other in North London and both sides believed they could claim the title, but it was Everton who left the ground with all the points as they showed their class and resolve which ultimately led to the most successful season in the club’s history. The Liverpool Echo related the story of the game some time later.

Despite it being a midweek clash around 8,000 Evertonians travelled down, swelling the crowd to nearly 50,000. They were not disappointed. The breakthrough came early for the Blues when Paul Miller misjudged a massive Neville Southall clearance heading to Andy Gray who smashed home a first time shot. Then another lightning break and the goal which looked to seal Everton's first title for 15 years. Trevor Steven caught full-back Mark Bowen dawdling before rounding Ray Clemance to slot home.

Spurs: Clemence; Thomas, Bowen; Roberts, Miller; Perryman, Ardiles, Falco; Galvin, Hoddle, Crooks (Brooke)
Everton: Southall; Stevens, Bailey; Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Reid; Steven, Sharp, Gray (Harper), Bracewell, Sheedy.

In the 1985/86 season, Everton returned from White Hart Lane in celebration on two occasions: firstly they won the League encounter with Spurs (0-1) in August 1985 thanks to a goal scored by Gary Lineker (75’), his first League goal for his new club; and later on in the campaign Everton eliminated Tottenham Hotspur (1-2) from the FA Cup at the fifth round stage, with goals scored by Adrian Heath (51’) and Gary Lineker, Mark Falco’s (79’) goal proved mere consolation for the home side.

Following that FA Cup win at the Lane, Evertonians would have a long wait to celebrate victory at White Hart Lane as Everton failed to win in their next twenty visits to the ground. The last game between the two sides in the Football League Division One resulted in a draw (3-3) Everton found themselves three goals down at half-time as Paul Allen (18’) opened the scoring for the home team and shortly before the break J Minton (43’) and Paul Stewart (44’) each scored in the closing minutes of the half. Peter Beardsley (65’ & 79') scored twice. Everton’s debutant David Unsworth completed the remarkable comeback eight minutes from time to earn the Toffees an unlikely point.
Everton: Southall; Warzycha, Jenkins (Unsworth); Harper, Ablett, Jackson; Nevin, Beardsley, Barlow, Ward, Beagrie.

Everton’s fortunes at White Hart Lane continued to frustrate Evertonians during the initial decade of the Premier League era and they finally celebrated their side earning maximum points on 26 August 2006. Phil McNulty reported the match on the BBC website:

Andrew Johnson celebrated his England call-up with a goal that helped 10-man Everton to their first league win at White Hart Lane since 1985.Everton's fine start to the season continued despite having Kevin Kilbane sent off for two bookable offences after only 32 minutes. Calum Davenport turned Joleon Lescott's header into his own net after 53 minutes to put Everton in front. And Johnson slid home Phil Neville's cross to seal the win 13 minutes later.

Gary Lineker was Everton's goalscorer the last time they won in the league at Spurs, and they showed fierce commitment to ensure they laid the bogey.

Spurs, meanwhile, lost their second game in three and coach Martin Jol will be concerned by the lack-lustre nature of their performance. Everton had a narrow escape after 26 minutes when Gary Naysmith ended a goalmouth scramble with a wild clearance that rebounded to safety off his own crossbar.

David Moyes's side were reduced to 10 men after 32 minutes when Kilbane, who had already been booked, was given a red card by referee Mark Halsey for a clumsy challenge on Lee Young-Pyo. Everton responded with a positive start to the second half and took the lead after 53 minutes. Johnson's huge appetite for work won a free-kick on the right flank, and when Mikel Arteta's free-kick was touched on by Lescott, Davenport turned the ball into his own net. And Johnson then demonstrated exactly why Moyes was prepared to pay a club record £8.6m to land him from Crystal Palace.

Neville crossed low into the Spurs penalty area and Johnson swooped in some style to beat Paul Robinson from close range. Everton's double strike had stunned Spurs, whose confidence visibly drained away as the visitors grew in stature.

Lescott had delivered a sound performance on his first Premiership start since his summer move from Wolves. And he shed blood for the cause in an aerial challenge with Michael Dawson that forced him to be replaced by David Weir late on.

Spurs had been kept at arm's length by Everton for virtually the whole match, and their afternoon was summed up when Robbie Keane turned their best chance wide from only five yards as time ran out. Everton keeper Tim Howard had not made a serious save until injury time, when he clutched Dimitar Berbatov's header - a sign of the Merseysiders' superiority.

Tottenham coach Martin Jol: "After the sending off you got the feeling that it could be easier than you thought, but I always knew that it could be difficult. "If you play at home and concede a goal against 10 men, they get more motivation and we didn't play like we did on Tuesday against Sheffield United. "All we can do is try to get better. A lot of minor things are happening now that didn't happen last year in terms of giving away free-kicks. "Everton looked a very good team even when they were playing with 10 men. You need all the creativity and quality to score and that's what they did. "We had a couple of chances but it wasn't enough. It was one of those poxy little days in England."

Everton manager David Moyes: "That might just be the best performance I have been involved with at Everton."We were tremendous, but it is only what I have been saying about how we were playing pre-season. Our passing was nothing short of fantastic. "Andy Johnson was also tremendous. If England are looking for a striker to score goals he's the man. He's a great player to play with and was a constant threat.

Tottenham: Robinson, Lee (Defoe 60), Dawson, Davenport, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Jenas, Davids, Tainio (Zokora 74), Berbatov, Keane. Unused Subs: Cerny, Stalteri, Gardner.
Booked: Dawson.
Everton: Howard, Neville, Yobo, Lescott (Weir 84), Naysmith, Osman, Carsley, Arteta, Kilbane, Cahill, Johnson. Unused Subs: Wright, Hibbert, Beattie, McFadden.
Sent Off: Kilbane (33) Booked: Kilbane.
Goals: Davenport 53' og, Johnson 66'.

Att: 35,540
Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

Everton won on their next two trips to the North London venue but the Blues have not registered a victory at the Stadium since November 2008. During the Premier League era Everton have won three times at White Hart Lane and lost on thirteen occasions with the remaining six games ending in draws. The Blues have scored twenty-six goals and conceded forty-two goals in their League encounters against Spurs at White Hart Lane.

Last Time: 9 February 2014 as reported on the BBC website by Aimee Lewis:

Roberto Martinez's side will feel hard done by after Seamus Coleman saw a strong penalty appeal turned down when he went down under Etienne Capoue's lunging challenge in injury time. While a draw would perhaps have been a fairer result, Tottenham's resurgence under Tim Sherwood continues. Andre Villas-Boas's successor, who has now won six of his nine Premier League games in charge, owes much to Adebayor, who played only once in the league under the Portuguese this season.

Despite largely restricting their hosts, a momentary lapse of concentration from Kyle Walker's free-kick enabled Adebayor to score his sixth league goal since Villas-Boas's departure.

Martinez will, however, take positives from Everton's energetic start as Spurs – without a single goal inside the first 15 minutes of any league fixture this season – started typically slowly.

Leon Osman went close on four occasions inside 10 minutes, his best effort a volley which required a smart save from Hugo Lloris, and the midfielder headed over from the resulting corner.

Neat link-up play between Osman, Steven Naismith and Kevin Mirallas threatened to hurt Spurs and Sherwood swiftly stepped off his bench in an attempt to influence his lacklustre side.

Captain Michael Dawson responded by glancing a free header over the bar, but all too often Spurs' first-half attacks became overly intricate and broke down in the final third. Adebayor came to the fore early in the second period and headed one of his side's nine corners over the bar, before breaking the deadlock in clinical style.

The 29-year-old expertly chested down Walker's set-piece delivery in the 65th minute and fired left-footed past Howard at his near post. It was Spurs' first shot on target and with the hosts yet to lose a league game from a winning position this season, Martinez summoned Gerard Deulofeu. His fellow substitute Aiden McGeady saw his deflected cross well fielded by a scrambling Lloris, but Everton's first-half zest had disappeared.

Adebayor fired over from range late on, before Coleman appeared to be tripped by Capoue in the area. But referee Mark Clattenburg waved away the penalty appeal and Everton suffered only their fourth league defeat of the season.

Lineup, Bookings (1) & Substitutions (6):
Tottenham Hotspur: 25 Lloris; 02 Walker, 03 Rose, 19 Dembélé Booked, 20 Dawson, 05 Vertonghen;42 Bentaleb, 08 Paulinho (Capoue - 68'), 10 Adebayor, 07 Lennon (Defoe - 86'), 23 Eriksen (Townsend - 59').
Subs: 04 Kaboul, 09 Soldado, 15 Capoue, 16 Naughton, 17 Townsend, 18 Defoe, 24 Friedel.
Everton: 24 Howard; 23 Coleman, 03 Baines; 18 Barry, 06 Jagielka, 15 Distin 11 Mirallas, 16 McCarthy, 14 Naismith (Deulofeu - 73'), 21 Osman (McGeady - 73') 22 Pienaar (Barkley - 64' )
Subs: 01 Robles, 02 Hibbert, 07 McGeady, 10 Deulofeu, 20 Barkley, 26 Stones, 28 Traore.

Ref: Mark Clattenburg Att: 35,944

Spurs versus Everton (Top Flight games only):
76 16 22 38 93 149

Share article:

Reader Comments (8)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 29/11/2014 at 17:59:05
How long does it take you to prepare these very interesting articles? You are a very dedicated Blue.

When Everton beat Spurs in 1964 4-2 at White Hart Lane, the following week we signed Fred Pickering and we thought we would go on to win the league. But it wasnÂ’t to be. You know who won it in a four- or five-way fight? Yes THEM!!

Tony Sullivan
2 Posted 29/11/2014 at 18:21:43
Patrick, thank you.

I remember many of the games, particularly 1985, I was up in Scotland and listened on the radio.

But it is the 10-4 result in 1958 I recall most vividly. I was 13 and went Anfield that day to watch Liverpool, I think they played Cardiff in a Div Two game and they won 6-1 I think.

The reason the memory is so clear, is because there was a popular American cop TV series called Highway Patrol, starring Broderick Crawford, the signing off on the car radio was 10-4 over and out. The kopites quickly got onto to it and took the mickey for weeks.

Fond memories from a different era.

Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 29/11/2014 at 19:38:45
Tony Sullivan, ah yes... memories from a different era and not just football – you mention Broderick Crawford, a great actor. Watch him, if you can, in a film with one of the funniest scenes in it: ’Born Yesterday’ with Judy Holliday. You’ll get it on YouTube he whole film or just the card game scene.

Sorry for going on but just watch it and I think youÂ’ll understand.

Colin Glassar
4 Posted 29/11/2014 at 20:46:42
Strange isn't it that the 1927-28 season saw Dixie Dean score 60 goals and Babe Ruth hit 60 homers for the NYY. What a year that must've been for sporting giants.
Bill Gall
5 Posted 29/11/2014 at 20:40:39
Always enjoy reading these memories from the games knowing that I went to a lot of away games in the 1960-1970s and, looking through some of my memorabilia, I found the away game programme at White Hart Lane from 11 March 1970.

If this is the game that Everton won Whittle's name was not in the programme. He must have played instead of J Husband. B Labone is listed in my programme as captain so Kenyon must have taken his place.

Tony Onslow
6 Posted 30/11/2014 at 12:21:01
Our opponents today began playing football on land the was owner by the Earl of Northumberland. The family name was Percy. They were the most powerful family in the north of England and built the impregnable Bamburgh Castle. Henry Percy, the son of the Earl, was a much admired knight who earned for himself the name of "Hotspur" and this title picked up by the founders of the north London club. Henry Hotspur, who rebelled against the King, was killed, in 1403, at the battle of Shrewsbury.

Archibald Leitch, when building a stand at White Hart Lane, noticed that a local church steeple had a cockerel on top that acted as weather vane. Impressed by this, he added one to the top of the grandstand when it was finished.

Patrick Murphy
7 Posted 30/11/2014 at 18:23:28
See Tony (6) that's why you are a seasoned professional writer and I'm a happy enthusiast - never heard of that story before. There is a Northumberland Road at White Hart Lane if memory serves me so they must have owned some land in that part of London or is that mere coincidence?

Tony (2) Thanks for your kind remarks and I'm glad you enjoy reading them and Dave (1) they take up quite a bit of time and I usually do them in batches and I'll have to get my nose to the grindstone this week as I have fallen behind schedule.

Perhaps Everton's luck against Spurs will change when or if they leave White Hart Lane it's not been a good place for us in the PL era save a couple of wins.

Rick Tarleton
8 Posted 01/12/2014 at 10:12:50
The 62-63 game with Young's soaring header is the one that remains in my memory above all others. Although it is run close by Wignall's match the season before when we won 3-0, I think and ended up with Alex Parker limping on the right wing, unwilling to go off and leave his team a man short.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© Patrick Murphy. All rights reserved.