Seven Toffees too sweet for Barnsley

The FA Cup tie played against Barnsley at Goodison Park in 1915 was to find its way in to the record books as Everton ended the game with just seven players on the field.

Tony Onslow 29/08/2012 6comments  |  Jump to last
Bolton Wanderers provided the opposition when, in 1886, Everton first entered the FA Cup tournament. The tie proved to be controversial which led to them being banned from entering the completion one year later. They have since taken part in many fierce and challenging cup ties, several of which have found their way in to Everton folklore.

The FA Cup tie which was played against Barnsley, was to find its way in to the record books as Everton ended the game with just seven players on the field.

The year was 1915 and the First World War was raging across Europe when the Yorkshire party arrived in Liverpool and made their headquarters at the Hotel St George. They were accompanied by a journalist who worked for a Sheffield based sports paper known as the Green Un and it was he who stated that the game had attracted a crowd of around 18,000 people.

The Yorkshire men had eliminated Everton, five years earlier, from the contest in a semi-final tie that had been played Old Trafford and the Merseyside outfit were out to avenge this defeat. Frank Jeffries, the regular inside forward, was injured and Joe Clennell, who himself looked unwell, was brought in to replaced him.

The Liverpool Daily Post had their reporter at the game and he commented that Barnsley are noted cup-fighters and it is also well known that they forsake the scientific for the more robust and vigorous method. The first man to be admonished by the referee, a Mr J P Stephen, was the Barnsley centre-half Baron, who had committed a foul on George (Jud) Harrison. The Everton wingman, who took the ensuing corner, dropped the ball nicely for Jamesey Galt who headed Everton in to a 1-0 lead.

Harrison, when the play re-started, then aimed a kick at Baron which led to the referee sending both players from the field. The match had been in progress for 32 minutes. Everton however, continued to dominate the play and were rewarded by a second goal that was scored by Bobby Parker who, along with Galt, had joined Everton from Glasgow Rangers. The Glaswegian had proved to be an excellent signing for Everton and this goal was the 22nd he had scored this season.

Nevertheless he was the next player try the patience of Mr Stephton who, following his foul on the visiting goalkeeper, ordered the Scotsman from the field. The second half had been in progress for 13 minutes and Everton were now reduced to nine men. Parker had not reached the tunnel when Galt, with a long left-footed drive, scored a third goal for Everton.

Joe Clennell, who was fast breaking down, then fainted and had to be carried from the field leaving just Sam Chedgzoy and Billy Kirsopp to make up the Everton forward line. The visitors however, had by now looked a defeated side and their exit from the competition had long been assured.

Everton were then reduced to seven men when Tom Fleetwood, who had been injured, left the field a few minutes before the final whistle put an end to one a most sensational games yet seen at Goodison Park.

The match ended Everton 3, Barnsley 0.

Tony Onslow is author of the historical Everton book, The Men from The Hill Country"

Share article:

Reader Comments (6)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

David S Shaw
1 Posted 29/08/2012 at 16:01:10
What's the story about the unofficial Cup win at Fallowfields in, I think, 1887?
Fergus McCarthy
2 Posted 29/08/2012 at 16:48:07
Do you know the reason that many Public Schools play rugby instead of football was because the FA did not suspend football at the beginning of the War in 1914, whereas rugby football did with the players going off to the trenches.

The schools decided only play the "handling code" of football after that. The sports were very similar with a lot of dribbling a roundish heavy rugby ball, and football was a lot more physical, with shoulder charges and more.

Before then the schools played Association and Rugby Football, and often would decide which to play on the day.
Rob Jones
3 Posted 29/08/2012 at 19:32:59
David - nothing unofficial about it. We were beaten by Wolves (1:0) in the actual FA Cup final held at athletic ground/velodrome in Fallowfield in 1893.
Brian Denton
4 Posted 29/08/2012 at 20:57:06
Surely we played in the FA Cup before 1886? Didn't we play Rangers sometime before this - sticks in my mind because as a kid it always amazed me that Scottish teams played in the early days of the FA Cup, as did the public schools and some army regiments.
Tony Onslow
5 Posted 29/08/2012 at 21:22:14
Yes we did play Rangers, Brian, but Everton scrached to enable them play their ineligible players and the game went ahead as a friendly. The Scots could play their strongest team because they were all classed as amateurs. Everton lost 1-0.
Derek Thomas
6 Posted 30/08/2012 at 08:30:41
0-1 Vs Wolves; 0-1 Vs Rangers. KITAP1, I blame Moyes, Hibbo and Osman. Why didn't he play The Yak, he was still a youngster then, but if you're good enough you're old enough.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

, placement: 'Below Article Thumbnails', target_type: 'mix' });