Memory Lane - Everton v Hull City

Hull City have made more visits to Goodison Park for FA Cup ties and Second Division games than they have made for top-flight matches and today’s fixture will be only the fourth occasion that they have visited the stadium for a top-flight encounter, all of which have come in the Premier League era.

Hull Tigers rarely seen at Goodison Park Everton Versus Hull City

Hull City were formed in 1904 and initially played their matches at The Boulevard home of their Rugby-playing neighbours, Hull. Due to a dispute with their landlords, City decided to take up residence at Anlaby Road Cricket Ground and by the 1905-06 season, Hull City were members of the Football League Division Two alongside such iconic names as Chelsea and Manchester United. In 1906-07 Hull City moved into a new ground opposite the Cricket ground. Hull City gave a good account of themselves in the Second Division and were most unfortunate to miss out on promotion in the 1909-10 campaign as they finished behind Oldham Athletic on goal difference.

Hull City have made more visits to Goodison Park for FA Cup ties and Second Division games than they have made for top-flight matches and todays fixture will be only the fourth occasion that they have visited the stadium for a top-flight encounter, all of which have come in the Premier League era.

Hulls first sojourn to Goodison Park was in February1927 for the FA Cup Fourth Round Replay following a draw (1-1) on Humberside. The replay also ended in a draw (2-2) thus Everton and Hull had to travel to Villa Park just five days later for a second replay, which resulted in Hull progressing to the Fifth round to face Wolves, at the expense of the Toffees. The Daily Courier gave its account of events in the replays:

Article continues below video content

Optimism prevails in the Everton camp. Mr. W.C. Cuff, the chairman of the club, says; Advantage of ground should help Everton to get into the next round. The Hull ground is a small one, and Everton found it a handicap, but at home it will be another story. In predicting a win, Mr. Cuff should be regarded as a prophet, because before Everton went to Hull he expressed the view that Everton would do well to force a draw. Mr. Tom McIntosh, the manager, said-It is going to be a hard match and we hope to win. It certainly will not be as easy as some people seem to think. The ground is in splendid condition,

Everton, after a rough passage, failed to enter the harbour of the fifth round. During the half-an-hour extra time, in which both sides ran themselves to a standstill, each in turn was in danger of foundering on the rocks. In that portion Guyan missed a grit. Otherwise Everton would have no further interest in the competition.

The directors of the clubs discussed the question of replay. They were agreeable to Monday, but Hull pressed for Leeds as the neutral venue, and Everton urged Birmingham. They agreed to differ, and suggested the F.A. should decide, but later it was stated Birmingham had been decided on.

This means Dean will be unable to play in the International trial. Everton have themselves to blame they did not win outright in the first half, when they ought to have had a four goals lead. In any case they should not have let the two goals lead be whittled away.

Troup's first goal after four minutes was an Everton tonic. The off-side trap, which was too recurrent, did not work that time. Wiseacres may shake their heads over Everton's lapse. If such it be, but this was no exhibition day. Hull's storming tactics, their strange methods, have to be seen to be believed. There were some hard knocks going, but the players fringed and bore them. Dean's goal was a good one. Irvine, in an off-side position, judiciously kept out of the movement.

Dean showed he could receive and give a charge with the best, but he was largely an individualist, challenged and worried throughout by Dixon. His wings were haphazard after the first half. Irvine started splendidly, but began to fade away, and when by changing places, Irvine got back to his favourite inside berth, there was no improvement on this wing. Bain is no outside-right. Troup was trickier and more workmanlike on the oppose wing, and for a little man he has a powerful kick. The Everton halves had a trying time in tackling the Tigers, who came in spasmodic bursts as of the devouring all in their path. Hart waded into a tackle and came out again, and Rooney, the local A teamer, did well as well as could be expected.

Hardy had no chance with Scott or Guyan's goals. Bell, who goes till he drops, and Maddison were the Hull heroes. The Hull goalkeeper deserved the ovation from a sporting crowd, to whom the partisanship of the Tigers supporters sounded strange. Dixon was a fine centre-half, and the Scott and Martin wing an improvement on the first match.

Everton; Hardy, goal; McDonald and Kerr, Backs; Rooney, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs; Irvine, Bain, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards.
Hull City; Maddison; McGee, Bell; Swan, Dixon, Sullivan; Martin, Scott, Guyan, McLaughlin, Taylor.

Official, 45, 000 spectators; receipts 3,050. Referee Mr. Woods.


When Martin scored for Hull City in the replayed Cup-tie which they won at Aston Villa's ground yesterday by 3-2 in extra time he took the wind out of the ball and the wind out of Everton's sails, for he had burst the ball. This would be done probably through the manner in which his boot caught the ball possibly a stud burst it. The rules on the point say that the ball is dead when it is burst, but it was not until the ball was taken from the back of the net that it was found to be burst.

The game was an historic one in many ways for rarely had the 16,000 spectators (receipts 1,600) seen keen striving and such a strangely differing style of forward work. Hull for half an hour of the second half were kept on the defence, and were actually confined to their own half for that period without relief. Yet Hull took the lead in seven minutes through Guyan, the Hull centre taking up a grit pass offered by O'Donnell, who had not trapped the ball as it came to him, and although Dean equalised at the half-hour with a brilliant lob over the advancing goalkeeper's head, Hull regained the lead through Whitworth damaging Davies, the deputy goalkeeper, in his effort at easy distance.

The second half was one continual struggle against the Hull backs, because Maddison, for once in a while was not actually tested to the full. Not until twenty seconds from time did Everton make their attack pay, and then Dominy headed a corner kick, taken by Millington, right out of reach. Thus for the second time in this, the third meeting of the side the game was all square again, and it was necessary that extra time should be played. It appeared rational to expect Everton to win because they had regained confidence, and seemed to be playing well above their rivals, whose forwards, it must be admitted, lacked Whitworth, save as a deputy outside right owing to a nose injury, he sustained. Yet when O'Donnell decided to head a ball for a corner rather than leave the ball to his goalkeeper the corner proved fatal, and Martin scored the goal that gave Hull the right to play against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molyneux Grounds on the 19th inst.

One of the sad things about the game was the fact that Davies, the goalkeeper, was badly hurt, and therefore, will not be ready for the game with Liverpool on Saturday at Anfield, and as Hardy is hurt and Kendall has the flu, the position of the club becomes exasperating. Add the inclusion of Dean in the English side and the Everton position for the local Derby becomes very awkward. It is correct to say that these five and a half hours of football have provided three stern and clean contests, in which the refereeing has been of a good order, in spite of the penalty incident at Goodison Park.

It is moreover worthy of chronicling that Hull hardly made any attacks yesterday at Villa Park, yet when they moved off they were at once a danger, and their first two goals could be described as the outcome of a change of forward front, the Hull men breaking away. To this must be added the news of Hull City putting the ball against the upright, and two cases where Maddison was well beaten when the ball was stopped by the woodwork. Dominy often veered to his old position at inside right, and once from the position he sent in a swerving ball that crashed against the crossbar.

Oh, yes, Everton had plenty of bad fortune in this game, but they shook their victors to the hand when they left the field, and voted them a sporting side with good backs and good ideas. But they doubtless regretted a Dominy miss among other things early in the game when the backs were suffering an eclipse, through the speed of Millington, who was the third outside right tried by Everton in this series of games.

Taking the game from a personnel point of view, one must at once vote Troup the most dangerous forward on view, with Dean working in solo fashion in his own hard manner, and his goal a perfect one of wisdom and forethought. On the right Millington started well indeed, but he was not well served afterwards, Irvine again falling a victim to the over-dribble that is crowded out by men such as Hull field at full back McGee and Bell. The Everton half-backs played so superbly that they helped to give their full backs a quieter time than usual. Hart was a joy the greatest half back on view, especially when he was passing to his forwards and he was not slow to move among his forwards when the position had become desperate. Virr and Rooney played calculating football, and shared the honours and though O'Donnell made the first slip of the day he did many good things to balance it, Kerr being an able partner. Davies was not unduly tested, any more than was Maddison.

It was simply a case of the Second Division team holding on to what they had. They took the lead three times during the course of the game, and well as their half-backs played they fought on until they nearer dropped through exhaustion the side's victory was attributable to Martin, one of their best men in each of the three games. He is a canny Scot, and he is in a line that is no sooner attacking than it has a shot at goal and the shot is well directed. Naturally the line could not be expected to do much in the later stages owing to Whitworth's injury, but at least they impressed by their incessant and sparkling effort when they did break out, for it must be forgotten that they had a gruelling experience at Middlesbrough at the weekend, when after being three goals down they proceeded to make a draw. The referee congratulated both sides upon their display, and the spectators would doubtless have seconded the motion of praise. All the players deserved it. Now Everton can concentrate upon the main issue of the season namely, the League position. It is said that some new faces will be seen in the forward ranks ere long probably this week.

Everton: - Davies goals, O'Donnell, and Kerr, backs, Rooney, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Millington Irvine Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards.
Hull City: - Maddison, goal, McGee and Bell, backs, Swan, Dixon and Sullivan half-backs, Martin, Scott, Guyan, Whitworth, and Taylor forwards.

One of Hull Citys best pre-war Cup campaigns saw them reach the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup in (1929-30) where they succumbed to the mighty Arsenal (0-1) at Villa Park following a draw (2-2) at Elland Road. Unfortunately the FA Cup proved a distraction as they were relegated and found themselves playing in the Third Division North.

After the Second World War, the club moved to another new ground, Boothferry Park In the 1948-49 campaign, managed by former England international Raich Carter, Hull won the Third Division North championship.

Raich Carters Hull City entertained Everton for an FA Cup third round tie in 1951. Everton, having reached the Semi-Final stage the previous season, invited Don Kendall in his 'Pilots Log' column for the Evening Express, to speculate on the chances of Everton winning the FA Cup this time around with a reasoned if somewhat flawed theory:-

Those who believe in omens are convinced that this will be Evertons Cup year. Despite all Evertons League troubles, there is a growing feeling that the Cup will be brought back to Goodison Park for the third time. The excellent play of the team is one reason, and another is that when the sum total of the date of the year comes to 16, then Everton win the Cup. Only once this century in 1924 have Everton had the chance to win the Cup and failed when the date has totalled 16.

In 1906 (16 you see) Everton won the cup; in 1916 there was no competition because of the World War No. One; in 1924 Everton failed; in 1933 (again that 16) Everton won the cup; in 1942 World Cup No two wiped out the competition and in 1951 (the 16 again) we had Everton crashing into form at the crucial stage. There may not be anything to it and it is present on the field which counts butwell, it makes you think and wonder. The last time the Blues won the Cup they started off with an away match against second Division opposition Leicester City. This season they again start off with an away match.

Kendall went on to review the events of Hull Citys previous cup visit to Merseyside, he wrote:-

The last time Hull City had a crack at Merseyside in the F.A Cup was not that three-match tie with Everton which the City won at Villa Park 3-2, with George Martin now the Villa manager, heading the winning goal. The last time was in post-war and it was brought back to my mind when I hastened to the Tower on Saturday hoping to see some football but seeing only snow. The last time I was at the Tower was when Hull City came there for a replay in the Cup with New Brighton. The Rakers gained a goal lead in the first half and Manager Frank Buckley, then with Hull spent the entire second half staking the touch-line urging on the City and he had the satisfaction of seeing his lads recover and go on to victory, which qualified them for a home tie against Blackburn Rovers. So that is another account Everton have to balance on Saturday.

Unfortunately Mr Kendalls sixteen theory did not come to pass as Everton lost at Boothferry Park (2-0) and even worse was to follow as Evertonians had to endure the depressing notion that their team would be in Division Two for the 1951/52 season and would not be celebrating at Wembley for another decade and a half.

Evertons next encounter with Hull City at Goodison Park came on Good Friday 1952, but this time there were no shocks in store as the Toffees ran out comfortable winners as reported by Leslie Edwards in the Liverpool Daily Post:-

In Football you play as well as the others allow. That is why part of the victory must be taken with reservation. Hull City not only gave no hint of being of ordinary Division 2 class, but were palpably the good Third Division team of the future. The game Horatio Carter and Neil Franklin retain their glamour but that is not to say that either is measurably as he was. Indeed the thought crossed my mind more than once that there should be a law against former England players prolonging their careers to the point at which they gently fade away, showing no hint of the greatness they once possessed. Horatio stands not where he did. Carter may be his sides captain and counsellor, but there is a point when actions speak louder than words, and here despite moments of tactics triumph (mostly in the throw-in_ Carter showed that he has lost the five-yard zip which characterized his play when he was at the top. Franklins game, too, showed signs of weakness in a defence which was already at full stretch to try to cope with an Everton attack which for once, moved unitedly attractively and mostly very practicably.

For ten minutes Hull City looked as hot as their mustard-coloured strips. That period gone it was mostly, steady Everton pressure. In the end they were trying to tee-up a goal for Fielding, whose shooting merited more than the solitary point to his credit. Five nil did not over-rate Everton; this was their best work for months. Most of the goals were odd in the taking, if not the making. At twenty minutes Parker nodded the ball against the upright. It rebounded to him and he shot it home impudently. Sixteen minutes later Hickson went to the left-wing centred and Fielding with perfect control killed the ball and hit it almost in the same movement. At the hour it was Parker again this time with a scissor movement of his feet when standing with his back to goal. The sequel was that Bly covering Hicksons shot was completely taken by surprise. Bly saved magnificently from Eglington, but Hickson rocketed the ball back into the net for the fourth goal (Eighty minutes) and a minute later Hickson, this time in a right wing dribble produced for Parker a chance which could scarcely be missed.

Of all the Hull players Bly, least deserved to be on a side beaten 5-0. He took some hard knocks, too. The hard-working Jensen and left half Durham did not fall short of required standards but Burbanks and occasionally Gerrie apart the Hull attack was almost negligible. Lindsay will rarely have an easier match and ONeill except from the save of the day when Gerrie unexpectedly back headed and a number of safely made catches was never in difficulties. Both Eglington and McNamara had unusually good games Eglington cross-field passes to the other wing were welcome variation of approach. McNamara with greater confidence and knitting with Fielding nicely, could hardly have done more. All the Everton half-backs, particularly Lello revelled in their task. The team played some inspired stuff, but I would like to see them produce this football against better opposition than Hull City. Until they do none can be sure that this virtuosity was not more due to Hull Citys weaknesses than to their own positive virtues. The attendance was 42,000.

Everton; ONeill, goal; Clinton and Lindsay, backs; Farrell (captain), Jones and Lello, half-backs; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker and Eglington, forwards.
Hull City; Bly, goal; Halsall and Phillips, backs; Jensen, Franklin, and Durban, half-backs; Harrison, Harris, Gerrie, Carter, and Burbanks, forwards.
Referee; Mr. B.J. Flanagan.

The following season the two sides met on the opening day of the 1952-53 campaign and the Liverpool Echo reported: -

Everton started on the wrong foot in more ways than one. There were times early in the game when they seemed destined to lead, but once Hull went ahead they were the better side, and all Evertons promising approach play fizzled out against a defence well controlled by Neill Franklin. The Dane, Jensen was the games best forward prospect for his good shooting and for his wise use of the ball.

Everton: ONeill, goal; Clinton and Lindsay, backs; Farrell (captain), Jones and Lello, half-backs; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker and Eglington, forwards.
Hull City; Robinson, goal; Hassell and Berry, backs; Harris, Franklin (captain), and Durham, half-backs; Linaker, Murray, Gerrier, Jensen, and Burbanks, forwards.
Referee; Mr. A. Holland (Barnsley).

Goodison Park was a picture for the seasons opening. All was spick and span and when Hull City came out in silk shirts of vivid mustard yellow, the grounds colour scheme was complete. There were about 45,000 at the start.

Within 60 seconds the game blossomed out dramatically, Jensen won a disputed corner-kick decision against Farrell and, although ONeill failed to connect with Burbanks corner kick. Linaker was unable to pick it up, and the ball ran free to Eglington, who travelled three-quarters of the length of the ground and withstood several challengers before running the ball to Fielding. The crowd groaned when Fieldings lob to the goal angle seemed too strong, but turned to joy when it was seen that the ball hung and that it was making a trickiest problem for Robinson. Parker came in as the goalkeeper attempted to punch away, and the ball travelled from the goalkeepers hands to the post before it was eventually cleared. Hull Citys tackling was quick and sure, but it took Franklin and company all their time to prevent Parker going through the centre and finally Parker won a corner kick. Though Hull had been almost wholly on the defence for the first nine minutes they took the lead at that point.

In its beginning the move which produced a goal for Jensen was well planned and well executed but there was a measure of good fortune about the ball passing the line. Burbanks a player of great experience, got Clinton going the wrong way and carved an opening for a centre and Jensen standing close in, found the ball cannoning against him from a half cleared and back beyond the surprised ONeill. Beyond a sharp shot by Farrell, which was too high, Hull City were not seriously troubled but when Linaker found ONeill slow to leave goal to pick up a long ball by Jensen he was able to flick the ball over the goalkeepers head after which it passed beyond his control and out of play.

Everton suffered criminal misfortune when Parker up a rebound clearance and hit a left foot shot which it seemed must score. The scrambling Robinson was all at seas the ball was surely finding the inside of the post and the crowd must have been positive that this was the equalizer. Then within a yard or two of the line the ball swerved on to the inside of the post, and from there back to the ready hands of Robinson, who could have scarcely believed his own good fortune. A very fine volley by Fielding had Robinson at full strength, too, as the ball sped a few feet wide of the post. Franklin was sharp to beat Hickson to a through ball. Indeed the Hull City tackling, as one would expect from a club now managed by Rob Jackson, was sharp, if fair and very much to the point.

Thus early the crowd gave McNamara little peace, and to be candid it had to be said that he has started very much on the wrong foot. It was left t Fielding and Eglington to work a very direct left wing move from which Eglington centre for Parker to hit one of his best, unhappily not on target. Franklin, out headed by Hickson still contrived to recover in time to put the ball away for a corner when Parker was shaping as though he might score. Parker was unlucky a moment later with a Stubbins overhead shot, for which a Hull defender was ready almost on the line.

Although they were in the lead Hull were still being confined to defence, and Franklin was finding it difficult to keep a tight hold on Hickson. In one of their clashes Hickson got a blow to his eye and although seeming all right momentarily fell to the ground while a Hull City attack developed. The crowd tried to draw the attention of Mr. Holland to Hicksons injury but play went on, and Burbanks with a fast low shot almost beat ONeill through his legs. While Hickson was receiving attention n the touchline Hull got two corners from the first of which ONeill in conceding another corner bowled Clinton over unceremoniously.

Hickson was soon back and the game, which had been clean so far, began to get tougher. With a quickly taken right foot shot Hickson almost angled the ball for a goal and then Jensen the only player to move to a free kick was all on his own near. ONeill and apparently on-side without being able to get possession of the ball. Jensen hit the post when all seemed lost, and Everton were appealing for the offside decision which came moments afterwards, and which surprised even the natives since it was obvious that the Dane was played onside. Franklin was doing splendidly with some fearless and judicious tackling and gradually his side were taking a better command of the game.

Many of Evertons promising movements broke down inexplicably, but Hickson should certainly have been a scorer when a blunder by Franklin, who tried to turn the ball to his own goalkeeper, left it bouncing a few feet from the prone Everton leader. While lying down he lashed his right foot at the ball twice without connecting. Burbanks was plainly one of the Hull danger points and now in conjunction with Gerrie, they worked a move which ended in ONeill watching the ball skid along the top of the bar and out of play from a Gerrie centre. Hickson was damaged again when Robinson came out to make a catch from Fielding. It seemed certain that it was a case of two heads not being better than one. Hickson was soon on his feet, but the goalkeeper seemed to be completely out. Both resumed after attention. The throw down took place in the vicinity of the penalty spot and for a shaken goalkeeper Robinson did very well to catch an unexpected and much on the mark drive by Parker. Even Clinton came far upfield almost to the other goal line but as in so many other Everton efforts he wasted the centre.

Fielding was quite a persistent shooter, but Everton seemed incapable of getting in close to the lethal shooting range, and though frequent the Everton shooting was not notable for its accuracy. Everton were riding reasonably easily when Burbanks and Jenson starting as a left wing pair, moved almost to outside right where Jensen instead of bringing Burbanks into the movement again with a pass, flashed the ball through towards goal where Gerrie and Jones went up to it together, Jones could do no more than turn the ball literally by a hair over the hands of the waiting ONeill.

A moment later Jensen was through again and hit a shot which ONeill only half saved. Clinton putting the ball into his own net in collision with ONeill. But the referee judged Jensen to have committed a foul before he shot, so the goal could not count. Robinson made light work with a wonderful catch of a close in McNamara shot after Fielding had cutely turned the ball back from the goal line. Though Everton promised much they fulfilled very little. They seemed over-anxious and not capable of concluding movements which were sound in their beginning.

How much the crowd is responsible for players anxiety only the players themselves know, but McNamara particularly, was not short of advice from 10,000 people. Gerrie almost nailed Everton by taking ten-league strides and hitting a cracking shot swinging outside an upright.

Everton were still unable to do the right things at the business end of attacks, and when Hickson shot across the face of goal. Fielding obviously expected a pass. One of the best and closest. Everton shots came from the left foot of Farrell, but the game was fizzling out aimlessly despite Evertons intense but unavailing efforts to recover, and Hull who had started so overplayed were now looking quite confident and capable of holding their lead. Fielding and McNamara changed places temporarily but this was one day at least on which the Everton forwards just could not get together. Jensen hit the Everton crossbar to complete a first-rate days work. Fielding with a shot which struck the bar and a header from the rebound for which Robinson was ready with both hands, was the most luckless trier Parker had previously had two efforts to put the ball into an open goal.

Final; Everton nil, Hull City 2.

The third League meeting took place at the beginning of the 1953/54 as once again Everton hoped to escape the lower division and return to their former place in the First Division but Leslie Edwards of the Daily Post wasnt totally convinced by their form although the results had shown much promise:

Though Everton are nearly top of the class and everyone with the remotest tinge of blue about then hopes, devoutly, they will stay there it is still not possible to acclaim them, confidently as prime Division 1 contenders. While they are winning consistently they are not doing it in the way a side must if they are to maintain high estate from one end of the season to the other.

In this match for example, the door was open to Hull City to take an equalizing goal (and a point) for long periods in the second half. That they did not was more due to their own forward failing than to the great competence of Everton. Then, with six minutes left to play, Everton scored the second goal which not only settled Hull City, but gave the score card a this was easy look that was never evident in the play. It is a pity we cannot share the enthusiasm of a Everton that this is promotion season, but the truth is that though the side has sprinted away to a magnificent start their play at home at least, has not been very convincing.

Yet one good judge of psychology was heard to declare after last nights game that If Everton dont get promotion this season they never will. About one point no one can be in doubt. That is that the goals Everton scored last night were solid, worthily creations, as nicely made as they were taken. Two minutes before the interval, Hickson, Eglington and Fielding the scorer, indulged themselves in a movement stamped on every link and six minutes from the end, when Hull were on nodding terms with an equalizer more than once Buckle rammed in his show, low, true and powerful, as Fielding had to complete another round of combination effort. Oddly, it was one of the few faulty moves of Berry, in the Franklin position that was the starting point a tough break for a man who had done splendidly against the tearing, wearing (and not always kindly) tactics of Hickson.

Before any scoring, each defence had survived wondrously, first when Hickson header was edged upward and on o the underside of the bar, by Bly, and next when a massed Everton defence struggled at the foot of the post and succeeded (Moore) in preventing Atkinson from poking the ball over the line. The Hull goal, magnificently kept by Bly had another escape too when the goalkeeper mishandled a swerving ball from Buckle and the ball struck the post. Take away the goals and the abiding impression is of the solidity and sureness of the Hull defence, the brilliance of three outstanding units.

Fielding, Jensen and little Neal, and the thought that those Hull City wingers were as ineffective and finicky as their inside men were shy to make the sharp telling shot. Fielding of the feinting body swerve of the clipped accurate pass to either wing, is on a fresh lease of football life, as full of tricks as he is of stamina. Neal all legs and topped by a massive head of hair, looked almost a boy among men and some of his tackling was boyish but what grand use he made of the ball and how difficult he was to pass. A player of no physique but enormous guts and ability. In that even, almost slow-coach way of his Jensen was literally a Great Dane. He came infield, time and again, and dummied his way to openings for a flow of passes any of which a pair of good wingers could have used creatively. But always there was little response. Hulls defensive build-up was as good as anything of its kind I have seen in Div 2. Even when things were critical they were never tempted to be haphazard. Blys goalkeeping too with some especially good saves and brave ones too were worthy of bonus money.

Though Everton were good in prolonged spells of first-half work they seemed to fade quickly in the second half. Considering the rain which had fallen and the gusting wind the general standard of performance was high. It was good keen football and only that tinge of doubt about Everton left one wondering. Moore and Donovan had a happier innings than Clinton and Rankin had against Oldham. Donovans speed is not the least of his qualities and with Jones pursuing his almost solely defensive role so adequately against forwards who could not, or would not shoot, Leylands job was comfortable. The Everton half-backs as a line did not complete with Jensen, Berry and Harris, but in attack Everton were far the better. They not only moved better as a line, but showed shots of power such as Wilkinson and the hard-working Gerrie and Atkinson could never match. Referee; Mr. Tickle, of Bradford, controlled this match only moderately, I thought; not because his decisions were wrong, but because many decisions he might have made were not made. Hicksons enthusiasm is tremendous; his unselfishness model, but one cannot help feeling that some of his challenges last night were to say the least a bit much.

Everton did win promotion to the First Division at the end of that campaign and it would be four and half decades before Hull City would face Everton at Goodison Park for a League match. Hull City were the perennial yo-yo team as they won promotion and were relegated on more than one occasion but never able to make the leap into the top division, they also became the first team in the world to go out of a cup competition on penalties, beaten by Manchester United in the semi-final of the Watney Cup on 1 August 1970. In 1964 Everton entertained Hull City at Goodison for a replay of the FA Cup fourth round tie having drawn at Boothferry Park (2-2) with former Everton manger Cliff Britton in charge of the visitors.

By the early 1980s, Hull City were in the Fourth Division, and financial collapse led to receivership. Another notable footnote about Hull City is that they along with Grimsby Town were at one time the only professional clubs to be allowed to play League fixtures on Christmas Day, mainly due to the demands of the fishing industry. In 2002 Hull City moved into the KC Stadium.

On 10 January 2009 Hull City arrived on Merseyside to play a top flight encounter at Goodison Park for the first time and David Ornstein gave his account for the BBC website:

The hosts dominated from the outset but Fellaini's opener, a close-range header from Leighton Baines's cross, should have been ruled out for offside. Arteta troubled Hull throughout and he made it two with a spectacular free-kick on the stroke of half-time.

The win moves David Moyes's side seven points clear of seventh-place Wigan, who play on Sunday, and they remain three points behind Arsenal, who are fifth. Everton have kept clean sheets in their last six games in all competitions, taking 13 points from the last 15 available.

Hull, on the other hand, have won just one of their last 12 games and are without a point since drawing with Liverpool on 13 December. Manager Phil Brown will be furious that Fellaini's goal was allowed to stand but could have no complaints at the result given Everton's superiority in a physical encounter.

Brown's men worked hard but were outclassed by an Everton side who started brightly and probed tirelessly for a breakthrough. Despite the absence of a recognised striker, lone front man Tim Cahill was ably supported by Leon Osman, Steven Pienaar and Fellaini as the hosts dominated possession. Hull's 4-5-1 formation indicated a determined rearguard action would be the order of the day and for 18 minutes they held firm impressively. And in Marlon King, Bernard Mendy and former Everton forward Nicky Barmby heckled throughout on his first return to Goodison Park having left the club for Liverpool in 2000 they looked to catch the Toffees on the counter-attack.

But their gameplan was breached when Baines linked well with Pienaar on the left and crossed for Fellaini, in a clear offside position when the ball was played, to nod past Boaz Myhill at the near post. The home side could have doubled their lead in the 24th minute when Pienaar broke free on the right and squared dangerously across the face of goal, but none of his team-mates was on hand to convert.

Cahill then crossed for Fellaini to head narrowly wide and at the other end Michael Turner had Hull's only half-chance of the match, a tame shot dragged wide. Everton were sitting comfortably on their lead but they were given the chance to double it when Turner fouled Cahill 25 yards from goal. Arteta duly stepped up to rifle a blistering drive past Myhill, a wonderful strike and the Spaniard's third goal in two league games.

The second half was a scrappy affair and, with Everton not exactly over-exerting themselves in search of a third, underlined Hull's need for attacking reinforcements in the January transfer window. Brown introduced Peter Halmosi, Craig Fagan and Daniel Cousin yet for all their graft the visitors did not create a meaningful chance all half.

In the 57th minute an outstanding tackle by Hull captain Ian Ashbee thwarted Osman when Everton had three men against one. Victor Anichebe, on for Cahill, did little to press his case for a starting role and his one effort rolled harmlessly wide, while Fellaini received his 10th yellow card of the season, which will lead to a two-game ban, ruling him out of the Premier League and FA Cup meetings with Liverpool. Osman shot high from a promising position late on but by that stage the points were in the bag.

Everton manager David Moyes: "It is another win, another clean sheet and although Hull made it a scrap, we deserved the win.Referees we have had recently have been very good, but I don't think this one was. And we have had an offside goal, that was clear. "I will be straight with things that affect both sides, and our first goal was offside. I have to be fair. "The downside was the booking for Fellaini. I have seen it now on TV and the Hull lad ducked his head down to about four feet off the ground, Fellaini is looking at the ball and toe-pokes it away - it can't seriously be dangerous play, you are entitled to challenge for that."

Hull manager Phil Brown: "Our whole season has been unhinged by a succession of officials and decisions we are not happy with.The first goal was a bad decision from an assistant referee who is looking right along the line of the defence. "It killed us. We worked on not giving Fellaini space in the six-yard box, and we achieved that. But he was in an offside position in space we had left him in by squeezing out. "Arteta's goal would have made it 1-0 at the break and we would still have been in the game. But I have players with blood all over their shirts, so they gave it everything in that second period."

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Osman, Arteta (Rodwell 90), Neville, Pienaar, Fellaini, Cahill (Anichebe 73).
Subs Not Used: Nash, Van der Meyde, Castillo, Jutkiewicz, Gosling.
Booked: Fellaini, Cahill. Goals: Fellaini 18, Arteta 45.

Hull City: Myhill, McShane (Halmosi 79), Zayatte, Turner, Ricketts, Mendy, Ashbee, Marney (Fagan 54), Geovanni (Cousin 66), Barmby, King.
Subs Not Used: Duke, Doyle, France, Boateng.
Booked: Mendy, Zayatte, Ricketts, Cousin, Fagan.

Att: 37,527 Ref: Martin Atkinson (W Yorkshire).

The second top-flight meeting between Everton and Hull City took place on 7 March 2010 and Harry Reekie reported the following:

Mikel Arteta scored twice as Everton reignited their quest for Europe and left Hull in the relegation zone. The Spaniard volleyed home at the back post to open the scoring but then saw a Yakubu penalty saved by Boaz Myhill.

Teenager Tom Cairney equalised with a superb volley but Arteta slotted a fine second before an own goal from Richard Garcia made it 3-1 to the hosts. Landon Donovan came off the bench and slammed in a fourth before Jack Rodwell completed another fine move to seal it.

All that means the Tigers are still without an away win in the league this season and well and truly failed to put down the marker demanded by manager Phil Brown. But the day belonged to Everton, and Arteta in particular.

The goals were the Spaniard's first since returning from injury and served as a timely reminder of his quality and importance to Everton's cause. The victory - a sixth in succession at home - equals a club record in the Premier League and lifts the Toffees up to eighth, four points behind Aston Villa.

The game was not as dramatic as Everton's recent home success against Chelsea and Manchester United but it is matches against the struggling sides that David Moyes' team must win if they are to qualify for Europe once again. The result, meanwhile, will surprise few, particularly with such bleak omens for Hull coming into the match.

The Tigers have not won at Goodison Park since the days of rationing in 1952, although some early promise hinted that record could finally change. Everton's defenders played a hopeless offside trap, leaving Garcia through on goal but his dink was slapped away by an advancing Tim Howard.

That served as a wake-up call to Moyes's side, who surged forward and came within a whisker of taking the lead. Leon Osman robbed George Boateng in midfield and fed Yakubu but a calm finish from the Nigerian hit the base of the post. Hull's defending looked slugged though, and they failed to learn lessons from the let-off.

Yakubu delivered a hanging cross from the left and Arteta volleyed home superbly at the back post, although some slack defending from Everton old boy Barmby allowed the Spaniard all the time in the world. A cross from Leighton Baines deflected into the area and Kamil Zayatte crudely brought down the Nigerian (Yakubu) from behind - although the defender may have got a trace of the ball.

But Yakubu's lazy run-up never looked convincing and Myhill pulled off a simple save low to his right. Hull wasted little time in taking advantage, as Cairney scored an excellent first Premier League goal.

A free-kick was only half cleared and the midfielder pounced with a wonderful left-foot volley from just outside the area. It was a goal that will live long in the memory for the 19-year-old but Hull were unable to savour the strike for long.

Victor Anichebe crossed from the right to Steven Pienaar and a clever backheel fell perfectly for Arteta to pass home from 12 yards in style. Everything the Spaniard touched was turning to gold, and goals, and it was no surprise who inspired Everton's third after the break. A chipped cross looped over Myhill and Garcia, almost laughably, headed into his own net.

The hosts should really have moved further ahead when a fine pass from substitute Donovan was side-footed over the bar by Yakubu. But Donovan showed the striker how it should be done, wrapping up victory with a powerful drive on the angle after another teasing cross from the impressive Baines. Rodwell put the gloss on a fine display by firing home from Donovan's pass late on.

Hull can be grateful at least for the return from injury of Jimmy Bullard but Brown's side are still in the relegation zone. Much will rest on a trip to basement club Portsmouth next weekend.

Everton manager David Moyes: "He (Arteta) did some fantastic stuff. He got into the box and he's improving all the time. "When he's on form we're a really good team.I was a bit worried when it went to 1-1. I thought it might be one of those days but thankfully we went on to win it."

Hull boss Phil Brown: "I thought we were competitive in the first half but in the second we certainly weren't. We left our game in the changing room for whatever reason. "Everton were good but we made them look good because we didn't get in the face of the opposition.Defensively I have questioned one or two but we will dust ourselves down and get on with it. We have got 10 big games now."

Sunday, 7 March 2010 Barclays Premier League Everton 5-1 Hull FT (HT 2-1)
Goals: Arteta 17 Cairney 32 Arteta 39 Garcia (og) 51 Donovan 82 Rodwell 86

Everton: 24 Howard 3 Baines 5 Heitinga 6 Jagielka 15 Distin 18 Neville 10 Arteta 20 Pienaar (Gosling 85) 21 Osman (Rodwell 44) 22 Yakubu 28 Anichebe (Donovan 70)
Subs: 1 Nash, 2 Hibbert, 4 Yobo, 7 Bilyaletdinov, 9 Donovan, 19 Gosling, 26 Rodwell

Hull City: 1 Myhill 6 McShane 19 Mouyokolo 24 Zayatte 8 Barmby (Geovanni 60) 17 Kilbane 20 Boateng 21 Bullard (Altidore 62) 15 Cairney 14 Garcia yellow card 30 Zaki (Vennegoor of Hesselink 69)
Subs: 12 Duke, 35 Cooper, 10 Geovanni, 23 Ghilas, 44 Olofinjana, 9 Altidore, 29 Vennegoor of Hesselink

Ref: Lee Mason Att: 34,682

Unfortunately for Hull City they were relegated at the end of that campaign but managed to return to the Premier League two seasons later. They not only ensured an extended stay in the Premier League last season but also managed to reach the FA Cup Final at Wembley where they took an early two-goal lead over Evertons sixth round conquerors Arsenal, before crumbling to the Londoners onslaught and having to wait at least another season to lift the FA Cup.

Last Time: 19 October 2013 as reported on the BBC website:

Everton have taken 25 points from their last nine home matches in the Premier League with West Brom the only team to avoid defeat at Goodison Park in the league since February. But Pienaar, out since August with a hamstring injury, swept in from a Mirallas cross with his first touch.

Looking shaky at corners, particularly in the first half, Everton were a long way from their fluent best. But they showed quality when it mattered to take the points and the return of Pienaar, 31, who has formed a fruitful partnership on the left flank with Leighton Baines is positive for manager Roberto Martinez.

Just as in the defeats at Chelsea and Manchester City, the Tigers never looked overawed and even as they slipped to a third loss of the season, this was a display that will add to their belief that they can stay in the Premier League.

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku had already had a low effort held by Allan McGregor before the hosts went ahead after seven minutes. Hull failed to clear a Baines corner and Leon Osman squared to Mirallas, whose low effort flew past Gareth Barry, standing in an offside position, and the motionless McGregor into the bottom corner.

Tigers manager Bruce, who was also angered by a couple of challenges by Barry, felt the goal should not have stood whether the Everton midfielder touched it or not.

Everton never looked comfortable at set-pieces and the unmarked Abdoulaye Faye missed two good openings from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Brady corners. Hull moved level when Aluko beat Baines and clipped over a low cross for Ivorian Sagbo, a summer signing from Evian, to thump in at the near post for his first Premier League goal.

Just before the interval, Aluko had a drive deflected over by Sylvain Distin and then had a header blocked on the line by Baines after Faye once again got his head to a Huddlestone corner. Martinez's side controlled possession from the start of the second period but Hull almost took the lead when Jake Livermore's drive glanced wide off Sagbo.

But Pienaar's introduction swung the game back in Everton's favour, with the South African turning in a first-time shot from Mirallas's cross to finish a slick passing move that started with goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Faye and Davies had further chances from corners before Arouna Kone missed a fine chance to add a third for Everton when he hit the post from six yards from Seamus Coleman's cross.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "I've watched it six or seven times and it's impossible to tell [whether Barry got a touch]. Even if he touched it minimally the referee couldn't see it. If the referee's not sure he has to let it go. "When I saw [Barry's tackle on Aluko] live I felt he won the ball. The pitch was open to those sorts of challenges. The referee handled it in a common sense manner and was consistent. "It wasn't our normal stylish way but we got the three points."

Hull manager Steve Bruce: "The big decisions went against us. Gareth Barry ran away celebrating the goal and that indicates he touched it. Even if he hadn't he was interfering. "Gareth Barry is a fantastic pro but his tackle on Aluko was a red card. Those tackles that are over the top of the ball can badly injure people. The big decisions went against us and you expect the officials to get them right. The Aluko challenge was a disgrace. "The positives have been there all season. We are a good group that are desperate to do well and we'll make a fist of it I'm sure of that."

Lineup, Bookings (4) & Substitutions (6)

Everton: 24 Howard; 23 Coleman, 3 Baines Booked; 18 Barry Booked, 6 Jagielka, 15 Distin 11 Mirallas, 16 McCarthy, 17 Lukaku (Kone), 20 Barkley (Naismith) 21 Osman Booked (Pienaar)
Subs: 1 Robles, 7 Jelavic, 9 Kone, 10 Deulofeu, 14 Naismith, 22 Pienaar, 26 Stones

Hull City: 1 McGregor; 2 Rosenior (Boyd), 3 Figueroa, 8 Huddlestone Booked, 6 Davies, 23 Faye, 27 Elmohamady, 14 Livermore, 09 Graham (Sagbo), 24 Aluko (Quinn), 11 Brady
Subs: 4 Bruce, 7 Meyler, 15 McShane, 17 Boyd, 20 Sagbo, 22 Harper, 29 Quinn

Ref: Neil Swarbrick Att: 38,828

Everton versus Hull City

(Top Flight games only):

3	3	0	0	9	2

Share article:

Reader Comments (2)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 03/12/2014 at 12:08:19
Another good day’s work, Patrick.

It’s worth noticing that the team relegated in 1951 came back up three years later and the manager, Cliff Britton, hadn’t bought any players in those years, so the players who went down were virtually the same players who came back up.

Lenny Kingman
2 Posted 03/12/2014 at 15:57:44
That was more like a trip down Memory Route 66. Thousands of miles of information.

Think a 2-0 home win is likely this evening.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© Patrick Murphy. All rights reserved.